Favorite Trek Series

Discuss anything here - why the sky is blue, your favorite Trek series, etc.

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

What is your favorite Trek Series?

ENT
No votes
TOS
9%
TNG
36%
VOY
9%
DS9
45%

Total votes: 11

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Favorite Trek Series

Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:14 am

Just thought I'd randomly take a poll and see which Trek series is your favorite.

Feel free to list your reasons here too. :)
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:16 am

ENT...ENT = yuck. Admittedly, I've not watched much, but that's because of how much I disliked the ones I did see. Hated the theme, hated the uniforms, hated the actual filming (looked like amateurs with some of those shots, imho), and didn't like the basic ideas behind the episodes I saw. Worst series imo.

TOS...I never saw much of TOS, though it's not that bad. Rather cheesy at times and other times kinda odd or dumb, but for that you have to take into account *when* it was created. Probably if I was around (and the right age) when it came out, I'd've thought it was awesome. 4th fav

TNG. Definitely my favorite. This is the first series I ever watched (my dad introduced me to it and we watched it every Saturday when it was on). I really liked the ideas behind the episodes, and the characters. Theme music = cool. More light-hearted than DS9, which wins it points in my book. I have the first season on dvd and watch the re-runs.

VOY...As far as VOY...After they took my TNG off the air and more or less replaced it with VOY, I did watch it. I certainly enjoy TNG more than this, but it sufficed for the time being. The only time I've seen it was when it first aired, so I barely remember the series now. I'd say this is 3rd fav.

DS9...I've only recently begun watching some episodes of DS9 - when it first aired we didn't get the channel it was on at home, plus it was on later, so I didn't get to watch it. I do like what I've seen of it in the past few years via re-runs though. Felt like a darker version of Trek, which was interesting, though I have to be in the right mood. Probably my 2nd fav.
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Grayson
Senior Staff

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:51 pm

ENTERPRISE: Well, I have to say I'm one of the few that liked the series for what was. Of course there was a lot things that threw continuity through the window, but the whole idea of man making its first steps exploring the Universe was pretty cool. I admit that seeing the first season was a drag, but the fun was there... I just tried to imagine those guys seeing new races and doing mistakes... It's not my fav serie, but I can watch without getting annoyed. Still, in comparison to the others is the fifth in my top five.

The Original Series - Its my favorite. Back when I was kid (centuries ago), I watched the series in reruns. Of course, the effects were borderline ridiculous and I really didn't understand the themes behind the episodes... But, man, I loved to see Kirk/Spock/McCoy relation. It was so funny. I still laugh when I watch any of the episodes in DVD. Classic is a classic... :D

The Next Generation - Its my second favorite series. Not only because brought back the Star Trek series back, but because they were able to create interesting chars and plots... And with decent effects. It was, as I see, fantastic. Of course, I missed Kirk and the crew... But Data, Worf, Picard, they were very likeable... Although I always thought Picard to be a bit snob... :P :lol:

VOYAGER:By the time the serie began, I already had seen everything else. I did like the series, especially becauce of the Borg and others plots, but the main characters were not very interesting... Except the Doctor. That was one funny char done by an extremely good actor, Robert Picardo. I would say its my fourth coice in top five.

DEEP SPACE NINE: I really appreciated the serie, especially because of some of the effects and the Dominion. The whole idea of showing the Federation in a war was new and very exciting. The choices the main chars had to make and so on. The whole spiritual side it was interesting, but not as interesting as the Dominion War. Its my third choice in my top five.
Lieutenant Mark Grayson II
Chief Intelligence Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

"O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible and hence we can hold the enemy's fate in our hands." - Sun Tzu

Peters
Senior Staff

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:35 pm

DS9 is my favorite, followed by TNG, TOS, then VOY and ENT are tied.

I liked parts of Enterprise... though it only really met it's potential in the 4th season. Voyager just couldn't keep any form of continuity, but sometimes had good stories. Both of these REALLY suffered from Berman and Braga's lack of imagination in writing new episodes. TOS of course seems a bit campy now, but when it was made it was leaps and bounds beyond what anyone then had envisioned. Add to that good characters, an unseen-before mix of ethnic groups in the cast, and good writing... well, you get the idea. TNG, for its part, was very good with consistently good writing and well developed characters, but everyone got along perfectly aboard the ship... a nice vision of the future, but not as compelling for drama purposes.

Enter DS9. It started off much like TNG, only stationary, and developed from there. The characters showed natural growth, from many of them barely knowing each other and even disliking each other to being the best of friends over thecourse of the first 5 years of the show... then the 6th and 7th years threw them into a war, and the episodes focused on the human element as much as they did the characters themselves. While some may argue it was not a true manifestation of Gene Roddenberry's dream, no Trek series has explored so Humanity so well during its run. And that's what Star Trek was originally intended to do.
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hunt
Senior Staff

Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:38 pm

I always liked TNG i guess its because it was the first star trek series I ever saw and got me hooked.
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Barrett
Senior Staff

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:46 pm

ENTERPRISE: I would rather have a root canal then watch Enterprise....I don't why the show bugged me all that much but its totally my 5th out of the 5 listed.

The Original Series: This is my third favorite. Despite its lacking visual effects, the characters were all very likeable and always interesting watch. They relationships between Kirk/Spock/McCoy always were sure to at least get a smile on my face.

The Next Generation: This is tied for first with Star Trek Voyager; The Next Generation ushered in a whole new era or Star Trek. They gave us some cool new characters (Data, Work, and Picard are among my favorites) and interesting and powerful new enemies like the Borg and the return of the Romulans. All and all there aren't many episodes that I don't like to watch.

VOYAGER: I put this one at second because I really enjoyed watching it. You got to see Star Trek in a new way to me with Voyager, mainly because they were far from home and stuggling with thier own problems. I also liked seeing the Borg again as well as seeing that the Borg had a mortal enemy in species 8472.

DEEP SPACE NINE: My fourth choice. Though it was interesting seeing the Federation in a war and the choices they had to make, I sort of a lost interest when they killed off the Dax character. It was still a solid series.
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Armand
Senior Staff

Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:49 pm

I'lll just list them in the order from worst to best:

5: Voyager - Really suffered from the "Alien of the Week" syndrome and not only that they took the Borg as an amazing and fearsome spiecies and made them puppies... you know the cute ones with the big eyes drooling, waiting to be fed.

4: The Original Series - Sure it started it all and it was visionairy for its time... but I wasn't born in "its time" ... to me it looks looks old, the acting is amateurish and the story is as predictable as a bond film... (which is rather predictable in itself :D:P)

3: Enterprise - The only reason it's above TOS is because it looked better... the acting was about the same (or worse at times) and up until the third and fourth season the story was flimsy... and so many plotholes 0_o

2: The Next Generation - I mean it's got a Shakespearean actor (Steward) and a hot counsellor. Sure it was a bit cheesy at times... but I grew up with This series (yay Next Gen ST fans :P). I really liked Data and Piccard... and at least the Borg in that show still scare the crap out of the characters...

1: Deep Space Nine - This was just great, to me that is... Until recently I put this second behind TNG but then I had the oppertunity to see them all (season one through 7) in as little time as possible (we're talking 4 eps a day here people :D:P). The Characters just seem so much more... real to me... the setting is great... story innovative... and especially the Dominion war... subleme... plus one remark left: We Need More Fleet vs Fleet battles :D:P
Lieutenant Josephine Armand
Chief Counselor
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

"In giving advice, seek to help, not please, your friend"

Abubakar
Senior Staff
Location: A hole, usually, sometimes referred to as Blackpool (UK)

Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:47 am

Gotta be DS9 :)

So dark and gripping, especialy focused around Sisko - little things like the Friday casualty lists, his emotional turmoil when he had to bring the Romulans into the war. So well done, way more interesting and intricate than anything else we've seen from Trek.

But yeah it sucked when they killed off Dax, I remember the moment I found out so well; was getting into a car with my dad outside the swimming pool and he broke it to me - coulda cried, well I was only ikkle.

And to top it all off; you got Benny! Far beyond the Stars was THE best episode ever, ever, ever. Is it real...? :)
Lieutenant Abubakar Jaran
Deceased
The Anti-Lamb 666
Flying Monk-eh
U.S.S Malinche

"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Peters
Senior Staff

Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:13 pm

Abubakar wrote: And to top it all off; you got Benny! Far beyond the Stars was THE best episode ever, ever, ever. Is it real...? :)
They're both real, and each has visions of the other. Methinks Benny Russel is Sisko's ancestor.
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A