Lost And Found (JM with USS Sentinel/Peacekeeper)

Posts for the USS Malinche's missions

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Hunt
Senior Staff

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:44 pm

ON:

[USS Malinche, Main Bridge, 0710 Hours, Day1]

By now Mason had made his second round trip hovering about each station checking on what the crew was doing. He thought he would pay a visit to engineering since he was not needed on the bridge at that very moment.

Getting into the lift, Hunt began to feel the floor shake a bit. At first he thought it was just his nerves going down into his feet but soon realized that the lift was in fact losing power.

=/\=Computer, halt at next level=/\= he said holding onto the side of lift.

The lift slowed and let him out three decks above main engineering. For his troubles he received a headache from the ride and a bruised elbow. He looked to the end of the corridor and decided to take the Jefferies tubes. Granted it would be a longer trip and a good work out but he shrugged his shoulders and dove into it.

After nearly ten minutes, he finally arrived at engineering and walked in. The entire room was full of activity so much that he had a hard time hearing his own thoughts. He found Peters and walked over to him.

?Hello Lieutenant, looks like you have your hand full here. I thought I would drop in and see how things are going. Anything new to report?? he asked.

<Tag Peters>

OFF
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:01 pm

<USS Malinche, Deck 6, MD02, 0800>

?Ok, I think I?m good to go? Lisa thought to herself as she straightened her collar, and brushed a rogue crease out of her uniform in front of the mirror, she triple checked her combadge was straight and took a deep breath, then turned and walked through the door into the corridor.

She was always nervous on a first day of anything, but she hadn?t felt this anxious since her first day in University, it was daunting enough being on her first assignment on a starship, but to have that first assignment be one that would possibly bring them face to face with the Borg was almost unbearable. She had never had any contact with them personally, but was able to remember the fear that surrounded the Borg incursion in 2367 all too well.

She walked down the corridor to the turbolift, she was still trying to work out how to navigate on the ship, but was trying to resist using the computer to help, she would need to get used to it eventually she reasoned, she passed a few members of the crew on her way, smiling politely as she passed.

She entered the turbolift and requested deck 12, originally most of the deck had been assigned to the ships Marine complement, but as the Malinche didn?t carry any the area had been refitted to serve various different purposes, one of which was the counsellors office.

The lift slide to a halt and the doors promptly opened, an enlisted crewman switching places with her as she left. Her office was only a short walk from the lift, a fact she knew from her day of exploration the day before, having only been assigned to the ship a few hours before it left the Starbase.

Finally she arrived at the door, she knew the moment she pressed the button to open the door there was no going back, she would officially be responsible for the mental well being of the crew. It was a responsibility that, even though she had trained for it, scared her deeply at that moment, ?Oh well Lis, you know what you always say to people about facing their fears?? She said quietly to herself as she pushed the button to open the door.

Taking another deep breath she stepped in?

OFF

Introducing yet another NPC ;)
Dr Lisa Carter
Counsellor
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:24 pm

ON: <<USS Sentinel, Bridge, 1355, Day 2>>

Lange was bored. Granted, boredom was a common companion to him, though far less lately than when he'd been a freighter pilot, but in this case the crew could tell he was bored. It might have been the way he was slumped in his command chair, or it could have been the expression on his face of dull disinterest. More likely, however, it was the paper airplane he'd just sent flying past Monroe's ear... and the other half-dozen scattered across the bridge, one of which was bringing Mystery a lot of entertainment.

Lange looked around the bridge at the crew on duty. It was quite a collection of junior officers. With Garrett, Kilana, and Daggerd all busy working on preparations for any chance encounter with the Borg, Ensign Marta Sorele was at Tactical, Ensign William Anderson was at Ops, and no one was at the Engineering station. Science was manned by Ensign Sinti Farnil, due to Lieutenant Behasun's spot on the roster not having been filled prior to their departure from starbase.

It was a capable group, to be sure, but all that concentrated youth, or appearance thereof in Ensign Farnil's case, made Lange feel old. Perhaps that was why he was resorting to childish pastimes to relieve his boredom. Just as he was turning back to his stack of replicated paper to fold another plane, he heard a small alert from the Ops station.

"Captain," Ensign Anderson reported, "We are being hailed by the USS Dorado, and the USS Dawes is now hailing as well."

"Put them on screen, Ensign... and get Captain Kersare of the Malinche on the comm as well," Lange replied as he straightened up in his chair.

<USS Malinche, Bridge>

Isabel had been anxiously waiting to hear from the Dorado and Dawes - technically it was just before 1400 and their scheduled rendezvous time was 1400. Sitting back in her chair, she glanced over at Mason - he'd seemed rather on edge in the morning, but had calmed down some at least. Her thoughts were interrupted by Ryan (NPC).

"Captain, the Sentinel is hailing us - The Dorado and Dawes are contacting them," he informed her.

"On screen," she replied, straightening her uniform.

<Sentinel Bridge>

Lange watched as three captains appeared in a split view on his screen. Kersare was on the left, the Captain of the Dorado in the middle, and the Dawes' Captain on the right. "Captains," he said, "Not often we have this many people in one comm signal. Might I suggest that three of us beam over to the fourth's ship and have this meeting in the ready room or lounge?"

<Malinche Bridge>

Isabel spoke up, "We can use the Malinche's Conference Room. I'll send the coordinates now and the three of you can beam over." Looking over at Ryan, she nodded, indicating he should send the coordinates.

Lange nodded after the other captains had consented. "I'll be there in five minutes. Sentinel out."

<USS Malinche, Conference Room, 5 minutes later>

After leaving Mason in charge, Isabel had gone directly the Conference Room and waited for the three Captains to beam over. James arrived first, followed by Captain Chib of the USS Dawes and Captain Sivek of the USS Dorado. Isabel gave a brief smile to the other Captains, "Welcome to the Malinche, please have a seat."

Lange sat down on one side of the table, near the head end. He waited while Chib and Sivek took seats opposite him. He found the Malinche's Conference Room adequate to its purpose, if a bit more utilitarian in nature than the Sentinel's.

As Sivek sat down, she looked at James and Isabel, "I am sure both of you are anxious to know what Captain Chib and I found when investigating the area. As you know, we were sent to investigate a possible Borg presence in the Direidi system."

Lange nodded. "Yes, that's also part of our orders, assuming that your ships haven't already run all the Borg off by now."

"If you're lucky, we have," Chib added. "We engaged one Borg Sphere and managed to destroy it, but we haven?t seen more than debris as far as the Sirion goes."

"No escape pods?" Isabel raised an eyebrow - even going with the assumption that the Borg had indeed damaged and boarded the Sirion, there should've still been at least some time for part of the crew to escape....

Sivek shook her head, "We did not see any, Captain. However, that was not what we were sent to find. Captain Chib and I did not search for the Sirion or survivors - our orders were simply to investigate the potential presence of Borg in the system."

"And that we found, and took care of," Chib put in once more.

Lange looked over at Kersare, then back to Sivek and Chib. "Only one sphere? Not a cube that it might have been attached to?"

"Just the Sphere, Captain. We had searched the area several days and that was all we found," Sivek replied. "We did find a few spatial anomalies in the area - a fair-sized Nebula for one, but that was after we had engaged the Sphere and took on damage, so we did not actually go in."

Lange nodded thoughtfully. If he were in command of a ship and trying to avoid the Borg, a nebula sounded like the first place he'd go. "Could we get copies of your sensor data so we know what areas might deserve a second look for survivors?"

Chib nodded enthusiastically. "Of course, Captain. I'll make sure my science officer sends all of our sensor logs over to both of your ships."

"Thank you, Captain Chib," Isabel smiled. "Is there any other significant information you have, anything that might help?" The more information they had going into this the better...

Chib thought for a moment. "Well, there's still a lot of background radiation from when the Direidi were sitting on a goldmine of Dilithium... we had to adjust our sensors to screen that out before we could get any useful results in our search. Other than that, we detected some intermittent ionization... nothing concrete enough to call a warp trail, though."

Isabel nodded thoughtfully, "Good to know; we can begin a search for the Sirion in the next few hours. Will the Dawes and Dorado be in the area, or will you be leaving?"

"We'll be heading back to Starbase 259 for repairs and resupply. We should be in range for the next 24 to 48 hours if you need anything. After that, I'm afraid you'll be on your own."

Lange nodded to Captain Chib, then to Captain Sivek. "You've been most helpful, Captains."

Sivek nodded, "Hopefully our information will be useful to you. Good luck with your mission."

"Indeed," Chib chimed in, "good luck. Hopefully you find the Sirion and bring her back, with her crew. However, I'm afraid we must be off."

Lange nodded. "Have a good journey, Captains."

Isabel watched as Chib and Sivek were transported off the Malinche, then turned to James, "I think we should have a look at the sensor logs before starting. After that, we can do our own scans of the area - see if we find any traces of escape pods or perhaps some other sign leading to where the Sirion might be."

"Agreed," Lange said. "I think that nebula they mentioned might be a good starting point... And we might see if we can pick up those ionization traces."

"Yes, the nebula is a good possibility, I'd say. I just don't want to miss anything on the way," Isabel replied.

"Like a couple of dozen escape pods?" Lange asked with an eyebrow quirk.

She nodded, "If there are survivors in the escape pods, they've already been out there waiting for at least a few days. I'd rather not jump ahead too far, only to find that there are escape pods as we're battling a Borg Sphere."

"Then we're agreed on that point. You think there might be more Borg in the area?"

Quirking an eyebrow, Isabel responded, "Where there's one, there's usually more. Especially when the one was seemingly sent on a mission then was destroyed. Plus, that Sphere probably wouldn't have been out here on its own..."

"You'll forgive me if I prepare for a cube and hope for nothing? Granted, Spheres haven't been seen operating alone, but even our best tactical minds can't figure out Borg strategy at the best of times." Lange grimaced. "But I'll take a fleet of Spheres over even one cube, if given the choice."

"We can always hope, but like you said, better to be prepared and not have one than to be unprepared and have one. I believe our Chief Engineers, Chief Security/Tactical Officers and my Chief Flight Control Officer were meeting to discuss strategy - hopefully they'll have some new ideas." Isabel was actually rather interested to see what they would come up with.

"From what I know of your Chief Engineer and Chief Flight Control Officer I'm sure we'll get something. And my Chief Engineer and Chief Sec/Tac are pretty inventive when they need to be. I think we'll come through alright." The confidence in Lange's voice didn't quite go along with the worms in his guts.

Isabel nodded, "Time will tell. I'll have Lieutenant Sovereign go over the scans once the Dawes and Dorado send them over. We can proceed from there."

"Sounds good," Lange said, standing. "I guess I'll speak with you once Miss Sovereign has the results from the scan data."

"Absolutely," Isabel smiled. "I'll get back to you as soon as I have some information."

OFF:

A JP With:

Captain James Lange
Commanding Officer
USS Sentinel

and

Captain Chib
Commanding Officer
USS Dawes
As Played by: Captain Lange

and

Captain Sivek
Commanding Officer
USS Dorado
As Played by: Captain Kersare

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Roh
Senior Staff

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:47 pm

ON: <<USS Malinche, Bridge, 0815, Day 2>>

Lieutenant Roh had arrived on the Main Bridge for his duty shift. He walked over to the Ops post and sat down. He had never seen a console with as many controls in his entire life; the Damocles didn't even have this many. He nearly jumped out of his skin when the console beeped. Looking down at the readout that beeped, he saw there was a odd phase variance in the secondary power coupling. He alerted a member of the damage control team to this affected system. He was so proud of himself because the last time he did that he had to report it to Lieutenant Karmrym Glavo, the Damocles' COO.

The night shift Ops officer had left him with a padd containing the next week's duty roster for entering into the computer. So he read the list and began inputting the roster. Once he was done with it, he flagged the roster to the XO for approval.

Trayven Roh looked to his left, saw the CFCO Jacob Quaid, and smiled at him. Trayven flushed at doing that.

"Engineering to Ops," came Siri Melat's (NPC) voice.

"Ops. Lieutenant Roh here."

"We've found that phase variance and corrected the issue," Melat said.

"Excellent. Nice work, Ensign," Roh said. "Ops out."

Well, all in all, the first half hour of my shift went well. He smiled at himself.

OFF: *More to come*
Last edited by Roh on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant, jg Trayven Roh
Chief Ops Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Starbase 386 Crew

Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:26 pm

<U.S.S. Sentinel, Main Operations Office, 1427, Day 2>

The stillness is the operations center was nearly deafening. Most of the junior operations officers were spread around the ship completing the final approved upgrades. Megan had stayed behind to finalize her additional ideas before brining them to the attention of the other department heads, mainly tactical/security and engineering. Her frequency rotation programs were nearly finished, only requiring a few additional modifications before being ready for installation.

While the final program diagnostic ran, Megan crossed to her office to replicate something to eat. She wasn?t particularly hungry, but since a natural pause had come up, the Lieutenant decided to take the opportunity to actually eat lunch for a change. After replicating a turkey and Swiss sandwich on white with lettuce, tomato, and pickles, and a glass of lemonade, she crossed to her desk to check her messages. There weren?t any, so she ate as quickly as possible.

Once the sandwich was gone and the diagnostic was complete, Megan opened a message to Chief Nira and Lieutenant Daggerd to get their input and request their permission to implement the changes. Although technically the changes would appear unnoticeable, the new Chief Operations Officer felt the need to make sure she wasn?t over stepping her bounds, especially as new as she was.

Captain James Lange
Lieutenant JG Blake Daggerd
Chief Petty Officer Kilana Nira

I have created several programs to work in conjunction with current programming for the phasers, torpedoes, and shields. These programs should randomly rotate the frequencies of our weapons and shields and the rotation algorithms making it much more difficult for the Borg to adapt. These programs will not affect the normal operational functions for either the weapons or the shields; however, I wanted to clear their installation with each of you before proceeding.

Lieutenant Megan Garrett

Once the message was sent and a copy of the programs sent to Lieutenant Roh on the Malinche, Megan turned her focus back onto the Hansen?s multi-adaptive shielding and bio-dampeners. A few innovations in the programming and the technology could be extremely effective in avoiding detection.

OFF:

Lieutenant Megan Garrett
Chief Operations Officer
and Second Officer
USS Sentinel, NCC-74673
This is a post by a member of Starbase 386's Crew
http://starbase386.antoniemey.com/

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:19 pm

<<USS Malinche, Ready Room, 1445, Day 2>>

After James left, Isabel had gone to her Ready Room. She was hoping to have a response about the meeting between Jake, Kaitala, Kilana, Todd, and Blake. They still had a little way to go before they could start looking for any debris or escape pods, but Isabel knew they'd need whatever time they had. If more Borg were in the area, any modifications would need to be completed by the time they started their search.

For that reason, Isabel felt it might be prudent to hold off on starting the search until first thing the next morning... That would give the Sentinel's crew and her own crew time to finish any last minute adjustments. Or at least that's what she hoped.

Besides, they still needed the sensor data from the Dawes and Dorado to analyze.

Isabel didn't want to waste time, especially if there were any survivors, but she also knew it would be irresponsible and possibly deadly to go in unprepared. It was a delicate balance - one she wasn't willing to take huge chances on.

Rubbing her temples, Isabel closed her eyes. Deep down, the thought of what they might encounter made her sick to her stomach. The last time she'd had a close encounter with the Borg was when her husband had died. Even four years later, it still drummed up difficult emotions. Her life could have been very different if Derek (NPC) hadn't died that day. In a way, it still haunted her - made her cautious in getting too close to anyone, part of her afraid that she'd lose them too.

As she opened her eyes, the frame holding a picture of herself and Derek came first to her vision. Her thoughts started to slip back to that fateful day...

Quickly Isabel shook her head, trying to clear her mind. The past would not help her. She had to stay strong for her crew, had to get them through this mission successfully.

Taking a deep breath, she nearly jumped as she heard a beep. It was the sensor data from the Dawes and Dorado. Not wasting time, Isabel began a message to Yrel:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Lieutenant Yrel Sovereign
Subj: Sensor Data from USS Dawes & USS Dorado

Lieutenant Sovereign,

I'm sending you the sensor data I just received from the USS Dawes & USS Dorado during their patrol around the Diredi system. I'm hoping it will provide some clues as to where we should begin our search. Also, Captains Chib(NPC) and Sivek (NPC) mentioned a nebula in the area.

Please analyze the data and inform me of any relevant information you find as soon as possible. It may be crucial to our mission.

Regards,

Captain Kersare
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully the sensor data would reveal something that they could put to use. At this point they could use whatever information they could get their hands on. You never knew when something small could turn out to be important.

OFF: Tag Sovereign
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Rodgers
Senior Staff

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:33 am

ON:

<<USS Dorado, Ships Gym/Cargo Bay 2, 1445, Day 2>>

?You know she?s a nutcase right?? ?Why do you think she?s still only Lt, Junior Grade?? ?I?ve heard the captain is trying to find anyway to get her off the Dorado, you know what that means? Ding dong promotion for me.?

Although Caz?s Chief of Security and his friend were the opposite side of Cargo Bay 2 that also served as the Dorado?s gym, she could hear every single word that they were saying. For most people hearing there comments would have been slightly soul crushing, but for Lieutenant Junior Grade Caroline Rodgers, it was all par for the course. She had never really fitted in with the Dorado crew. This admittedly was the story of her life.

As she continued to pound the punching bag she let out all of her rage that had been developing over the last three weeks. Part of what her crewmates had said was true, the evil queen of numbers Captain Sivek was indeed looking for a way to get rid of Caz and make her ?somebody else?s problem? but Caz had a plan of her own. Thanks to ship to ship gossip she knew that Kaitala the current chief of Security had been recalled back to a Starbase. As such Caz had put an immediate transfer request in to take up the position. However she bypassed normal protocol and had placed the request through Admiral Faradays office at Starfleet Security. It wasn?t that she thought that Sivek would block the request; it was more that she wanted to make certain she?d get the job, and Faraday was one of the few Starfleet officers that she had never felt the need to prove herself to.

=/\= ?Bridge to Rodgers? =/\=

Continuing to punch and kick the bag Rodgers slapped her comm. badge. =/\= ?Rodgers here, go ahead.? =/\=

=/\= ?Lieutenant, I have an encoded communiqu? for you from Admiral Faradays office.? =/\=

Caz stopped her workout and a smile broke out across her face. =/\= ?Route it down to Commander Muros office, I?ll take it in there.? =/\= Removing the strapping from her hands she threw them at the aforementioned Muro. ?Yo! Del, I?m borrowing your office.?

?Lieutenant Rodgers, you can?t just announce to your superior officer that you are ?borrowing? his office.? Commander Munro shouted out as Caz was already making her way out of the room. Without turning around she lifted her right arm her hand clenched in a fist and extended her middle finger. ?To late dip shit, I just did.?

<<USS Dorado, Security Office, 1455 hours, Day 2>>

It had taken Caz merely a couple of minutes to make her way to the security office, and she still had a smile on her face after calling Muro a dipshit. Something she had wanted to do for the last three years. The thought that her transfer request may have been turned down hadn?t even come into the equation. Sitting at the desk she activated the small console that sat atop it. ?Open Communiqu?, authorisation Rodgers Tango Charlie Two.? The blank screen sprung into life to display the face of Admiral Phillip Faraday.

?Caroline, you?re looking?sweaty. I hope life is treating you well??

?Phillip, Just been going a few rounds with a bag. Please tell me you have some good news for me??

The older Admiral smiled at his former prot?g?. ?Your transfer request has been approved. Captain Kersare has been informed that you will arrive within two hours; the Dorado will take Ms Kaitala back to Starbase with them. One thing does puzzle me though Caroline. Why didn?t you put the request through Captain Sivek??

?Come on Phillip, it?s no real secret how she feels about me.? Caroline replied.

?True, true. But she put in the same transfer request for you. She believes that a larger vessel is a more logical home for you.? Phillip replied with a smile.

?Well who am I to argue with Vulcan logic? Thanks for everything Phillip. I owe you one.? And with that she closed the channel. Standing she dashed out of the office and made her way to her quarters. Packing wouldn?t take long at all, and in under an hour she?d be off the Dorado and starting a whole new adventure.

<<USS Malinche, Main Transporter Room, 1535 hours, Day 2>>

In under an hour Caroline ?Caz? Rodgers was back in uniform and had materialised on the main transporter pad of the USS Malinche. She carried very little belongings, just a large grey fabric duffle bag that must have been about four and a half feet tall and a silver DNA locked weapons case. Stepping down from the pad she looked at the transporter operator and his assistant. ?Thanks for the smooth ride boys. Any idea where the skipper is?? The transporter operator looked up at the tall blonde and tried his best not to stare too much.

?Umm Ready Room, Ma?am.? He replied.

Caz winked her left eye and made her way out of the transporter room.

?She?s tall.? The transporter room assistant stated. ?She?s hot.? The transporter operator replied. Within ten seconds Caz put her head back through the transporter room doorway. ?And she can still hear you.?

OFF:
Lieutenant JG Caroline 'Caz' Rodgers
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche

-------------------------------------------------------
"You were expecting the easter bunny?"

Hunt
Senior Staff

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:38 pm

ON:

[USS Malinche, Main Bridge, 1447 Hours Day 2]

Mason was still sitting in the center chair feeling as though he was being put in the dark. He had not spoken with the Captain in sometime. To him his involvement in the mission was bleak to say the least not really knowing more about what was going on.

His visit aboard the sentinel was enjoyable but he sort of felt it was more for show than an official function. Having made a few rounds around the bridge once more he felt the need to head down to his office and sift threw department reports until Kersare was ready to meet up with him.

?Ms. Holtman(NPC) you have the bridge.? He said walking into the lift taking one look around before the doors hissed closed.

The trip was short and uneventful, The XO walked into his office and replicated some coffee and ginger cake. He had three mountains of padd?s sitting on his desk there was enough to occupy his time until he was needed on the bridge.

<OFF: Tag Anyone>
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Rodgers
Senior Staff

Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:27 am

ON: <<USS Malinche, Armoury, 1555 hours, Day 2>>

Caz decided to make her way briefly to the ships armoury before meeting the CO. If for no other reason but to drop off her silver weapons case, after all meeting your new CO whilst carrying an Orion two phase cross bow, Modified stock phaser rifle and a selection of knives, and other small arms was probably not the best way to make a good lasting impression. Entering the armoury she scouted out the space. It was well equipped and fit for purpose with a door leading off to the phaser range and another leading off to a proper fully equipped gym. For Caz it had been like upgrading from a bed and breakfast onboard the Dorado to five star luxury onboard the Malinche. Looking around she found an empty equipment locker big enough to store her small arsenal of equipment in. Opening the silver case she removed two aged black leather thigh holsters and fastened them onto her legs before removing two 24? fire hardened Ironwood Eskrima sticks, for which the leg holsters had been custom made. Strictly speaking the weaponry was not part of Starfleet uniform dress code, but much like the Klingon sash with it?s house pin fastened upon it or the Bajoran earring, the weapons were part of her cultural heritage and that case afforded some leniency when it came to having them on her person. Besides these were more than simple weapons, they were a family heirloom that was over 500 years old, they were something that needed to be used, not locked up in some musty glass display case.

Her ears perked up when she heard the door to the armoury open up. Not turning she just continued to put her equipment in the locker. She could hear footsteps coming closer, they were gentle, quite, measured and deliberate. Whoever was walking in didn?t want there approach toward the woman to be noticed. The footsteps stopped, Caz estimated that whoever it was, was standing no more than a pace behind her.

?You know I pride myself on knowing everybody who comes into the armoury, but I?ll be honest. I don?t recognise you. When I really really should.? A voice stated. Caz could tell from the voice alone, it?s inflection and the pace of the words that whoever was the owner of this voice he regarded himself as a bit of a ladies man.

?You know what they say, ?be careful what you wish for, you might just get it? besides what would your Chief say?? Caz replied still not turning round and allowing a playful lilt to enter her voice whilst securing the locker.

The owner of the voice moved once again so that he was now leaning against a locker looking straight at her. ?Kaitala? Please, we?ve hardly seen her, I doubt she?d even notice something was going on.?

Caz took a step back and looked the man over, there was no denying that he was handsome. He had classic Mediterranean looks coupled with intense almost honey coloured eyes. ?I tell you what, you?re Alpha shift right??

?Yeah.?

?Which means you get off at 1800, so how about 1900 hours you meet me down here, and we get to know each other a bit better.? Caroline was working hard to stop herself from bursting out with laughter. She knew that toying with this man after being on the ship for less than hour was probably not the most grown up thing in the world to do, but he was making it so easy for her.

?Or maybe I could come by your quarters? Have something to drink a little food?? He replied with a smile.

It was at this moment the Caz decided to up the vamp factor, all in preparation to cut him back down to size. ?Oh no no no, right here will be fine.? She leaned in to whisper into his ear ?I love seeing what a man under me is capable of, hell bring a couple of friends.? As the words left her lips she could see the equal measures of shock and excitement crossing the mans face.

?Wow, you?re, you?re, I mean wow. Are you always this?well wow?? He was obviously lost for words and his eyes didn?t know where to look.

?Not always, only when I think somebody needs it.? Caz replied crossing her arms with a little smirk on her face.

The mans bravado returned. ?And what else do you think I need??

Now was the time, the time to bring this wannabe Romeo to his knees ?Other than a lesson in manners? How about knowing who you?re hitting on?? She could see the questioning look on his face and could almost read what was going on in his mind. ?Who was this woman and what the hell had he just done?? ?Caz Rodgers, Kaitala?s replacement, and your new Chief. Surprise.?

The look on the security officers face was priceless, his playful smile to be replaced by a grimace of shock and horror. He?d just made a play for his senior officer, and she had played him like a pro. He watched her pick up a large duffle bag and throw it at him. He deftly caught it and held it close to his cheast. ?I?m sorry sir, I didn?t know.?

?Well that much is obvious. Hows this for a deal. You get that stowed away into some quarters for me, and I?ll forget this whole little incident happened? Does that work for you?? Caz replied still keeping a steely gaze on the man in front of her.

?Of course sir. I?ll get this put away for you right away. Anything else sir?? He was stumbling over his words.

Caz started making her way towards the Armoury exit, the dejected man walking double time to keep up with her long strides. ?Just one thing, I wasn?t kidding about liking to know what men under me are capable of, there will be a combat and standard drill at 1900 tonight and you will be there. Make sure it?s circulated around to everybody that?s on non essential duties on the Beta shift as well. I?ll see you here then.? Her first meeting with a member of her staff completed she went back to her original task of reporting in to her new CO.

OFF:
USS Malinche

Starbase 386 Crew

Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:32 pm

ON: <USS Sentinel, 1400, Mission Day 2>

Rhyanna was frustrated. Three different messages had been sent to Captain Lange, and yet he still managed to elude her efforts to get his first session out of the way. Most of the sessions had been finished already... she still had the Chief of Boat to do, but something was telling her to do that one last... almost as if saving the best. Nira's file had been impressive, and from what her brother told her, she looked forward to speaking with the other woman. Girl talk, perhaps?

...no. Keep it professional. Rhyanna shook her head. Hopefully her brother wasn't starting to get to her and break down her strict sense of duty that he seemed to so lightly dance around. It took all her effort not to sit him down and give him a full blown shrink session... especially since he never really got over his past incidents. Just... sorta covered them up.

Sighing, she once again sent off a message to the Captain, reminding him that she was under orders from Starfleet HQ, and by association, so was he. She also sent a message off to Nira, asking for a dinner date. Perhaps professionalism could slide a little with her.

Rubbing her temples, she stood and wandered off to the lounge for a quick snack, and then to take Beast for a walk. He had been cooped up all day in her brother's quarters, and she knew of a good holodeck program to get him some exercise.

She hoped her brother had kept out of trouble.

----

Rhys was bored. And he was tired of staring at the Malinche from behind, following the leader whereever the other ship decided to go. While it wouldn't have been obvious to the others, he was almost convinced the other ship had been slightly zigzagging on their way here, before meeting up with the other two. Was their pilot taunting him? Ooooh, what he would do to go head to head with that pilot.

Rhys blinked at himself. What was up with him? He wasn't normally like this. His sense of competitiveness and (gasp) pride for his ship had skyrocketed since the beginning of this mission. He wasn't used to this. Perhaps he was finally fully recovering?

He looked at the Malinche. He silently admitted to himself that he'd love to get that think into MVAM and have some fun. Perhaps that ship was good for something after all.

He looked around. At least the idiot Davenport-the-dork wasn't on the bridge. Peace at last.

He felt a sudden heaviness in his lap. Looking down, he saw that Mystery had planted himself square in his lap, sniffing his uniform with interest.

"Yeah, you smell the new crew member, don't you? Not sure how well you'd get along with Beast, but you're welcome to come by and meet him." The cat purred in response, apparently deciding that a few dog hairs weren't a threat, and curled up in Rhys' lap.

Staring down at his console, Rhys ran navigational diagnostics for the third time today, then pulled up his secret connection with his Uno partner in science, starting another round. It was getting tedious... not many people posed a good challenge to him. He tapped off a message to Mikaela asking if she knew of a way to put a link between the Sentinel and the Malinche to find some more players without being detected. Mikaela was his only real opponent anymore, and he was certain she'd enjoy the fresh meat... err, advisaries.

----

OFF

A (pseudo) JP between:

Lt. Cmdr Rhyanna Monroe (PNPC)
Field Services Representative
StarFleet Medical - Counseling Division

as played by your crazy flyboy:

Lt. Rhys Monroe
Chief of Flight Control
USS Sentinel
This is a post by a member of Starbase 386's Crew
http://starbase386.antoniemey.com/

Sovereign
Senior Staff

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:51 am

<<Science Lab, 1500 hours, Day Two, USS Malinche>>

The message from the captain had come in just after a slew of sensor data had come in from the Dorado and Dawes. She had been just been finishing the second draft of the letter to Linnens, a better smoother version that the original write up. Of course, she had to put it on hold and push on with the new smattering of duty that flew into her lap. Shortly there after, Yrel had the wall display screen pipped up with the unsorted data. There had been quite the amount of information that the two ships had gathered, more so from the Dorado. They had been out in action for two weeks and the information covered a fair amount of ground.

Right off the bat, Yrel sorted the data out, making for time-based markers for the data, and mixing in sensor data from the Malinche as the ship traveled around at present. It helped to look at the data in the form of a time slide-show. Not that much changed in terms of new developments, exactly, but the specifics of existing objects did. Decay, if nothing else.

As a short superficial run, Yrel had the viewer display the area covered by the sensors and then progress it steadily through time as more scans had been done over the couple weeks. But nothing much had indeed. The space around them was fairly simple and uneventful. A few gaseous fields not quite good enough to be a nebula, some moderate comet activity, and a large genuine nebula at the further reaches of the sensor's range, not even completely documented as of late.

The starting point was Direidi. The Sirion couldn't have come from any direction than from that planet. But she needed to narrow things down, find a general direction the ship could have travelled. Obviously there weren't any kinds strong presences of Warp particles, or else the Dorado and the Dawes would have picked up on it by now. Well, not unless they had a better starting point. The particle emission from the planet would be null, but if they could find any evidence of where the Sirion was after it was dragged from the planet, they'd be able to focus their efforts there...

The Sirion was damaged...possible its deflector included... Well, even if the deflector was active, and say...it was dragged through a dense enough area of matter...

Yrel sat down at the console placed in front of the viewer and worked the console, turning to isolate date on the gaseous bodies. All three of them were in generally the same direction from Direidi. Two of them were perfectly spherical in shape. One was scanned to have a well of low density within it, about a third the ways into the body. It was diffusing back into its standard shape no less, but something had passed through it. One of the comets prehaps?

Working the keys some more, she tried to estimate the time the gaseous body had its visitor pass through and practically punch a whole in it, distorting its shape, to the data on all or any of the comet's projected path. No match. None of the comets caused that to the near-nebula. When she tried to narrow the ship's sensors to the area, she was met with a discreet 'out of range' notation. They weren't close enough to get the kinds of scans she needed.
Lieutenant Yrel Sovereign
Chief Science Officer
& Second Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Hunt
Senior Staff

Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:38 pm

ON:

[USS Malinche, Hunt?s Office, 1505 Hours, Day 2 ]

All though in the course of starfleet?s history, many ships have been either lost or reported missing but nothing came close to describing the situation regarding the Sirion. Mason in a way had a connection to this having lost several of his family members aboard ships that Starfleet could not find. The thought of an entire crew missing was disturbing to him.

The pile on his desk seemed to get smaller by the second and as his mind was focused into his work but mainly on those missing crew members. When he put the last padd down he was tempted to access the data on the Sirion but he knew Sovereign was already doing that and wasn?t sure what he could contribute to it.

He got up and ordered himself some orange juice and jumble sticks. The smell was enough to take his mind off of the Sirion crew for just a few moments. Hunt began to put one in his mouth when something struck in his mind. Something about how his family had disappeared and something he had saw on a sensor display when briefed by command many years ago.

?Computer, call up file alpha 149 gamma. Starfleet clearance code Hunt omega 937 gamma decode.? Said Mason getting closer to the screen.

The text file was that of the starship Marshall to which his mother was the asst chief science officer. The sensor readings showed a minute trace of residual ion particles from where the ship was last seen. Those particles lead into subspace but to a region that nothing Starfleet had at the time could penetrate it.

=/\=Hunt to Sovereign, do you have a min?=/\=

[Tag Sovereign]

OFF
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:03 pm

<USS Malinche, Deck 7, 0530, MD02>

Jack had finally managed to start shifting the last image from his dream out of his mind, it always had taken him a few hours to get over bad dreams, and today was no exception. He knew straight away that he wouldn?t be able to sleep again so he got out and decided to get a head start on the day, he spent the last 2 hours showering, changing into a fresh uniform and reading through Intelligence updates, he had also do a spot of redecorating in his new quarters.

With that all done he remembered he still had a little over 6 hours till he was officially due on duty today, he decided therefore to heed Captain Kersares words and go and see his friend the Chief.

He walked up to the officers quarters via the mess hall, stopping off to replicate a Raktajino, as he went to take a sip he had a thought, he placed the mug back on the replicator and pressed the button to recycle it, instead ordering two to go.

With the coffee cups in hand he walked up to the door of his old quarters and pressed the door chime?

Feeling positively disgusting, having been inhaling fish fumes all evening, Marco was really, really, really ready to get out of the ridiculously large quarters he'd been pacing around in all night. He wasn't on duty for another good 4 and half hours yet, but bloody hell did he want to just get busy so he didn't have to spend any time with the spiffing Lieutenant.

As he grumbled around pulling his duty jacket on, he muttered various expletives to the effect of many different ways to make the young office suffer. A shrill chirp cracked through his fatigue ached skull. He ignored it, presuming it was some officer jobsworth for the Lieutenant, and zipped up the jacket.

When no one answered Jack pressed the chime again and again?

"Poshul nahuj!" Marco bellowed, as the chime sounded repeatedly. He stormed across the huge quarters, almost thumped the door release and was about ready to throttle whoever was on the other side. God he was tired...

?Morning!? Jack said with enthusiasm he didn?t genuinely feel after last night?s dream. He held up the mugs with a grin, ?Steaming hot cup of Java??

Stunned, Marco was just stunned. He would have laid real money on Hawkins doing his upmost to stay away from Marco just as Marco had the intention of doing the same, but no...here he was. With that DAMN smile. "See airlock? Go take running jump." Marco snapped, before retreating inside the quarters again, right to the other side where he'd found a small corner that didn't stink quite as much as everywhere else.

Jack smiled as the Chief walked back into the room, still looking somewhat stunned, he always did enjoy keeping those around him off balance, as the doors began to slide shut he stuck his foot between them, causing them to reopen, he stepped through.

Even fish fumes was better than that dopey git with two cups of coffee in his... 'Two?' Marco suddenly questioned, turning around as the doors closed. Hawkins casually strolled in and was extending one of the cups to Marco. "Zhri govno i zdohni" Marco muttered, ignoring the hand and sitting down on the chair he'd pulled into the corner.

?Sure you don?t want some Chief, it?s Raktajino? Sure as hell looks like you could use some?? Jack placed the mug down on the small table near the corner chair, ?Trouble sleeping? I imagine the smell in here would make that hard?you really should get someone in here to sort it out??

He took a seat of his own and surveyed the room, very little had changed in here since last night, the smell had gotten worse, but he could now see just how much larger these quarters were than the Chiefs, which wasn?t much bigger than an academy dorm room.

"I thought" Marco started. "Was you." He made a visible display of sniffing the air, trying not gag quite frankly as the foul thick smell penetrated his lungs. "You sure not been with too many of enlisted girls last night?" Marco said, trying to provoke.

Jack smiled at the attempt, ?Is that what you get up to down there? Well if I?d have known I wouldn?t have spent all night working? Jack removed a PADD from his pocket and placed it on the table while he took a sip of the Klingon coffee before picking up the PADD and beginning to read.

Marco rolled his eyes and attempted to suppress his irritation. It wasn't so much the Lieutenants words that got to Marco, it was the self superiority and the GENUINE belief that he was the second coming or something, when instead he was little more than an upstart young throbber. "Must you be here?" Marco grumbled. "More to point, must I be here?"

Jack placed the PADD into his lap, ?We both have our orders don?t we? When off duty we?re supposed to be in the same place, so I have coffee and a book and here I am. Would have been nice of you to make the effort before I turned up?? he said looking around the quarters that used to be his own.

Jack was still amazed at the aggression and hostility emanating from the Chief, not just towards himself, but towards anyone with circular pips on their collar, for all of his failings, Jack genuinely didn?t regard the enlisted crewmembers as less worthy to wear the uniform than those who went to the Academy.

He almost pitied the Chief?

But that?s not to say he liked him in the slightest, he was arrogant, so arrogant as to come to Jacks office to tell him how to run his department, he had punched him, then attempted to get him blamed, tried to embarrass him in a meeting, sabotaged his replicator and polluted his room. In Jacks mind if there was anyone not fit to wear the uniform it was this abusive, narrow minded shit, it wouldn?t matter if he had no insignia on his collar or wearing admiral?s ranks, he wasn?t fit to serve on a ship or anywhere in the fleet.

?Your coffee?s getting cold Chief??

In the small moment that Marco took to look at Hawkins, any multitude of thoughts rushed through his head. Tiny ones, flashes of memories over the last few days of the Lieutenant, each thought coupled by varying degrees of anger and increasing calls on his own restraints not to thump him one. "Zalupa" Marco mumbled, standing up.

"I promise by afternoon orders will be uh... to say, invalidated" Marco said flatly, heading for the door. "You stay here in quarters if you want, I am getting out of this ridiculous PLAYPEN bullshit!"

Jack sighed, collected his coffee and PADD and followed Tupalov out the door, jogging to catch up, ?Why Chief? You apologising to the captain this afternoon? Or requesting a transfer to some ship full of non-commissioned officers you can bully??

Marco rounded on Hawkins just outside the door. "I NOT bully!" he roared

?Really, cos that?s not what the boys down in the shuttle bay have been saying?? Jack had been trying to find out what he could about the Chief, and had heard some ?interesting? stories about an inspection down there.

Marco hurumphed, "The Keptin was much a part of that as I, in fact she was one who picked the rankers to be punished, shall I say she is bully to her? From you?" Marco grinned widely.

?And that episode in the Holodeck Chief? Was that under Captains orders too?? The more and more Jack investigated this man the less he found to like about him, though Jack had to admit it felt good to stretch his investigative legs after all these years.

"That's what you orificers don't understand" Marco mumbled, before raising his voice. "Character building!" He proclaimed, "not bullying."

?Is that what you tell yourself so you can sleep easier at night?? Jack said, leaving his voice calm and level, ?And if you once went through it and this is the character that it built I really doubt the worth of this technique?

Marco shrugged and snorted. "And if Frisco turns out knobbers like you..." he replied, starting to walk down the corridor.

Jack began to follow, sipping his coffee before replying, ?But then I don?t feel the need to belittle the people under my command to give me a nice warm feeling of superiority inside do I??

Marco genuinely laughed and shook his head. "You know, you just reinforce my point all the time boy" he replied, smiling widely. "You really believe I don't do it for the genuine benefit of them do you?" He asked, stopping and turning on point. "You really belief, I be an arsehole to be one for the sake of it, da?"

Jack was about to reply, to tell the Chief that he did think that and if the Chief truly didn?t enjoy the feeling he got from it he would find some other way to motivate his troops, when he caught sight of something coming round the corner, it as the young crewman sporting a D on his chest.

?One of yours I presume?? Jack said before calling out to the crewman, ?What on earth have you been doing the last day??

Timidly, the young man approached and Marco cocked an eyebrow. "He's trying to find the mess hall" Marco informed Hawkins, saving the young lad the bother. "And he's like old uh....our forest gump...he still looking!"

The crewman was clearly scared and for what Jack could gather had been roaming all night, not wanting to anger the Chief on what looked like his first week in the fleet, Jack sighed, ?Sorry about my friend here, his an ass and under the mistaken illusion this was for your own good,? Jack moved slightly to but his body between the Chiefs and the crewman, ?Mess hall is nearly directed above us, head to the turbolift round this corner, up to deck two, turn right and it?s at the end of the corridor, ok??

The lad was clearly grateful, and moved away slowly. Marco, who's face had turned the shade of this duty tunic, was at Hawkins in a flash and slammed him into the wall, gripping his throat tightly. "Don't ever undermine me again you little bastard" he seethed.

?Seriously Chief, anger management, you might really find it beneficial, and as I remember you?re under orders to see a counselor anyway right?? Jack simply smiled at the Chief, ?Now are you going to let me go or shall we stand here while your blood pressure keeps on rising??

Marco was aware he was shaking with anger, a few seconds of locking eyes with Hawkins and he let go, stepped back and exhaled deeply. "Where do you think am going?" he managed through gritted teeth.

Jack straightened his uniform, ?Well then Chief, I?ll let you go befriend a counselor, be sure to have a good time, just remember to let it all out, it?s ok to cry?? He said patronisingly and turned to leave, coffee and PADD in hand.

Marco growled unintentionaly. "Fucker" he muttered under his breath, stalking off in the other direction. Oh sure he was going to the counselor, but not for the reasons Hawkins was thinking, one hour and he'd be out of this ludicrous punishment.

OFF:

A JP by

Chief Petty Officer Marco Tupalov
Chief Of the Boat/Chief Auxiliary Pilot

And
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Akios
Crewmember

Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:16 am

<<MD02 1000, USS Malinche Holodeck 1>>

After taking care of a problem reported in the turbolifts (one of the turbolift cars had developed a system failure in its internal computer that had caused it to occasionally buck like a bronco or stop between decks), Akios got to work on the assignment Lt. Peters had given him.

Turuas'ta had never had access to borg technical data before. Under most circumstances the Federation kept a pretty tight lid on what they'd learned about the borg. There was simply too much potential for misuse: the possibility that the technology could be used against the Federation; the danger of catastrophe from technologies that could be duplicated without being fully understood; the fear that adopting technologies that the borg were already intimately familiar with could make Federation systems more vulnerable to their attacks.

Starfleet senior officers had always had full access, of course, as had any junior officers and civilian scientists with "need to know". Even Academy cadets had been allowed to work on projects involving borg technologies from time to time, and those cadets had been given the necessary security clearances.

Turuas'ta had never had access to the data. He'd looked up what he could access on borg transwarp systems, which wasn't all that much, but he had never really pursued anything on their biotechnology and cybernetics--the technologies the borg interfaced with their organic components. That just wasn't where his interests ran. But now, he needed a crash course, and now he had access.

What he didn't have was a lot of time. This called for drastic measures. He went to the holodeck.

"Computer, start new program," he said as the holodeck came online. "Access borg technology database, security access Akios lambda psi 2317."

+"Authorization granted, database accessed."+

"Load technical data on borg nanoprobes. Include recent research. Also load Lt. Peters' nanite design simulation."

+"Ready."+

"Create a Galaxy class command seat arrangement right here. Modify the center chair for aurelian physiology."

Three chairs appeared in front of the aurelian, in the classic arrangement of the original Galaxy class starship. Akios took the center chair, which had a narrowed back that allowed his wings to rest comfortably alongside.

"Load Starfleet Academy scientific tutor in challenge mode, and load Starfleet Academy engineering tutor in standard mode. Integrate access to the borg technical database under my authorization, only when I am using the programs, and run programs."

Two men appeared, one wearing blue, and one wearing yellow.

"Have a seat, gentlemen," Akios waved the two holograms to the chairs on either side of him. "Computer, run Lt. Peters' simulation in nonphysical mode, 100,000 to 1 scale."

The simulated nanoprobe versus nanite scenarios that Lt. Peters had set up began running in front of Akios and the two holograms, magnified so that the nanites and nanoprobes were as big as Cardassian voles.

"Now, professors," Akios began, "as I understand it the problem with trying to fight borg nanoprobes with nanites is that the current generation of nanites are highly restricted and deliberately non-adaptive, owing to a runaway nanite situation that occurred on Enterprise about twenty years ago. The borg seem to have a much better grasp of how to control adaptive technologies than anything we've developed."

"That demonstrates a lack of basic understanding," the Engineering professor said. "Nanoprobes are the foundation borg technology. Individually, they are not adaptive. However, each is capable of multiple functions. Also, each contains fragmentary constructs for additional capabilities that can only be accessed when multiple nanoprobes are able to assemble those fragments into operational specialist nanoprobes."

"That position is based on an unfounded assumption," the Sciences professor responded. "The assumption being that nanoprobes that we have been able to test, isolated from the Collective, behave the same and have the same capabilities as when connected to the Collective. If any such research has been performed, such as directly on the borg drone Seven-of-Nine, that data is not in the database at this security level."

"Are you suggesting that such data might be available at a higher security level?" Akios asked.

"Please restate the question," the Sciences professor said.

Okay, so it wasn't perfect. Based on Akios's experience, though, the tutors were the best way for him to quickly dig through huge databases to get at what he needed to know. It was still going kind of slow, though.

"Computer, halt programs. Switch language base to aurelian," Akios said, standing up. "Accelerate programs 50% and resume."

"Okay," Akios continued, switching to the rapid patter of his native tongue, "so if nanites that we develop are allowed to adapt, it's hard for us to predict what they'll do, to be certain they'll continue to behave in ways that we expect."

"The borg have more experience than any other culture on controlling and directing the behavior of adaptive technology."

"--or they do now, at any rate," Akios said, pacing. "One of the theories of borg origin involves a technological runaway sometime in the past..."

"Since Starfleet learned of the existence of the borg queen, that theory has fallen out of favor. There is a growing movement in support of the theory that while the Collective supplanting its creator civilizations may not have been intended, it was not the result of any technological failure, but rather the intentional actions of the original controlling consciousnesses of the Collective."

Akios was amused to note that the holographic professors had taken on some aurelian behavioral characteristics due to the language switch. It actually made them seem more alive, at least to Akios.

"Okay, but let's stay away from the borg sociology debate for now. Now, suppose that we developed a nanite to combat nanoprobes, such as the current simulation," Akios said. "How effective could we expect it to be?"

"Any nanites that were developed would need to be able to combat each of the built-in capabilities of the nanoprobe, as well as preventing multiple nanoprobes from combining to create specialized units. The Federation does not currently posses the capability for creating nanites equal in sophistication to the known nanoprobes. It is unlikely that a multi-function nanite could fully counter a nanoprobe on a one-to-one basis."

"Okay, but you're talking about blocking the nanoprobes from doing what they're designed to do. I remember reading that Voyager had had some success in doing that. But what about directly fighting them, destroying nanoprobes with nanites?"

"There have been previous attempts in that direction as well. Like nanites, nanoprobes are protected against chemical and biochemical attack. There may be biological concerns if certain forms of energy are used against them."

Biological concerns... He might have to bring a Medical teaching hologram in for that. This could get very complicated...

He thought about contacting his brother Kal'lital, who was a Starfleet medical officer and was currently assigned to a research facility. But it probably wasn't a good idea to talk about fighting the borg over subspace, even on an encrypted channel. He'd try to go it alone for a couple more hours, and if he wasn't getting to where he needed to be, he'd ask Lt. Peters about it.
Ensign Turuas'ta Akios
Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Rodgers
Senior Staff

Peacekeeper crew member post

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:21 am

ON:

[USS Dawes, Transporter Room 1, 1525 Hours, Day 2 ]

??and remember the engines like to run on a rich mix, also port RCS thruster two is slightly out of alignment and I?m sure that there is an issue with one of the shuttle bay tractor emitters. I tell you what, I can delay my departure and have a look at them now, it?ll only take me an hour or so and then?.? Lydia Keane the former Chief engineer of the USS Dawes was talking a mile a minute to her replacement, her previous Assistant Lt.Commander Koylik.

Koylik stepped in front of Lydia and placed his two webbed hands on Lydia shoulders. ?Lydia, please do not take offence but leave, now. The Dawes is in good hands and you have trained me well. We will cope, this ship is not about to fall apart without you. Your nervousness is not needed.? The breathing apparatus that Koylik needed to wear in an earth standard atmosphere distorted the Pacificans voice making it sound almost as if the listener was under water themselves.

?Am I that obvious?? Keane asked with a slight laugh. The Dawes had been her home for the last three years, she had fallen into a comfortable little rut and although never truly happy on the Dawes the security it offered was something that nobody could argue about however when she had heard of the Sentinels need for a Chief Engineer she couldn?t resist. It was something of a home coming for her, having been present at Utopia Planetia and on the bridge of the Sentinel herself when her engines were brought online for the first time, even before the ships Captain had come aboard for his inspection tour. ?I know you can look after the Dawes, and I know she?ll be fine without me, but still, I?ll miss her. I?m only human after all.? Lydia explained as the two engineers made there way to transporter room one.

?Your species failings not withstanding Lydia, you to will be missed.? Koylik replied as they entered the transporter room. As the two entered Lydias breath was momentarily taken away. Standing in the transporter room was the entire Alpha shift engineering team who had just come off duty. They had all lined up in front of the transporter console, standing at attention one last time for there old senior officer. Taking a deep breathe in she made her way onto the transporter podium. She turned to look at her team and held back the tears she could feel welling in her eyes.

?Speech!? Somebody yelled out from the assembled engineers.

Lydia let out a small chuckle before beginning. ?I could begin by saying you are all absolute bastards right now and you are making my departure a hundred times harder than it already was. I have had the pleasure over the last three years to serve with, in my mind, some of the best engineers in the fleet, and I?ll be honest with you, I am going to miss each and every one of you. You have brought out the best in me and this ship and I know that you will continue to do the same for Lt.Commander Koylik. I?m no good at goodbyes so what I will say is, I?ll see you again soon.? As the assembled team broke into applause Lydia looked at the transporter operator. ?One to beam to the Sentinel. Energise.?

OFF:
USS Malinche