Lost And Found (JM with USS Sentinel/Peacekeeper)

Posts for the USS Malinche's missions

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Tupalov
Senior Staff

Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:34 pm

<< USS Malinche, Turbolift. 13.20, Day 3>>

Tupalov instinctively thumbed the holstered type 2 as he strode onto the bridge, noticing he was the last one there. Well truth be told he was probably the only using the 'facilities' when Blue Alert was called, and on the way someone lovely had decided to switch it to red alert too.

So Marco, completely unfamiliar with Blue Alert had taken that to mean that Blue Alert was cancelled, but thought better of cancelling his assignment to the Beta Bridge.

A Lieutenant tried to hand him a personal weapon as he walked past, he flashed a Tupalov grin and showed his already attached phaser. "A man prepared is a man alive" said, smiling at the amazingly sexy officer before walking all of five feet to the conn.

He assumed that was where he was best situated, anyway. Though having said that he hadn't piloted a starship for years. He was pretty sure his certification had even run out, he hadn't even been on a Prometheus simulator before.

As he bought the console online, the seperation countdown finished, luckily for him the other two sections were the ones that had to move off, he could just keep flying straight. He checked the positioning display; it was showing the Sentinel ahead, and the other bits of Malinche taking fore and starboard positions around her, he took that to mean that he was to defend the port side.

He touched on the Starbard impule engine to push out to port a bit, ok that was easy enough. He wiggled around a little bit to get used to the 'weight' of the ship on the controls. He'd be alright, probably, it was similar to Alans ship.

He opened a live channel to the other sections flight consoles. "Beta, moving into port position."

<tags>
Warrant Officer First Class Marco Tupalov
Chief Flight Control Officer
U.S.S Malinche

Lovestreet
Senior Staff

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:00 pm

<< USS Malinche, CMO's Office, 1320 hrs, Day 3>>

Dr. O was sitting in his chair, behind the desk, staring out the doorway. The transparent aluminum walls did little to hid his office from the rest of the Sickbay area. O thought he'd have to change that after this mission was done. After all, he wanted at least a little privacy now and then and his office had always been a haven for him. The last CMO must have been an extrovert.

He started banging away at his keyboard. O wanted to know who was supposed to be in Sickbay for their physicals. Damn the torpedoes and phasers...if they were supposed to be getting a physical then they could get someone else to run their toys.

"Oh I see." said Oliver. He grinned and smirked. He skipped through several crew evaluations and made notations for those who needed to be hauled in or dragged through the door by Security.

"Lieutenant Peters will be first on my list, followed by Captain Kersare and..oh....our new Counselor needs a visit. Maybe I'll do a housecall for that one."

OFF
Dr. Oliver Lovestreet
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:15 pm

<USS Sentinel, Bridge, MD03, 1323>

The sensor display showed the 3 sections of the Malinche taking up their positions, keeping a watchful eye over the Sentinel as it set course for the suspected location of the Sirion. With the Sentinel missing a Communication Officer the responsibility for co-ordinating with the Malinche fell to Samas at Ops, liaising with the 3 parts of the Malinche on matters not important enough to warrant the attention of either ship?s Captain.

<USS Malinche, Bridge>

Logan was going to have to have a word with his superior officer, he looked at the sensor information being transmitted between the two ships and couldn?t help but think what a fucked up situation he currently found himself in, he was here to keep an eye on the ships Intelligence officer and hinder his investigation, he wasn?t here to for combat or to be assimilated by the Borg, it certainly wasn?t part of his briefing/

He was snapped out of his anger when his console started beeping.

<USS Sentinel, Guess where?>

The channel opened just after Samas swivelled round to face the wall displays and the standby screen switched to a view of a mature ensign sitting with his back the bridge, the man didn?t seem best pleased...

?What!? Logan snapped at the Sentinels Operations Office.

?Woah, easy there tiger,? Samas said, not wanting to get off on the bad foot, he smiled, ?I was just wondering if you could set up an uplink and begin transmitting all your sensor telemetry out way, 4 sets of eyes are better than one after.? Samas knew that there was an automated link between the three Prometheus sections, his sensors and commonsense told him that, he also knew the Malinche wasn?t much more than a glorified warship, and as such the Sentinels computers were far better at analysing sensor data.

Logan, internally chastised himself for letting his guard down, he forced a smile before replying, ?Sure thing sir, it will just take a few moments, and sorry about that, I guess I?m feeling a little tense with everything that?s going on.? Logan wasn?t actually lying, at least he wasn?t for the last part.

?It?s ok, to be honest I?m not exactly a beacon of calm right now. He smiled as his console beeped, confirming the uplink was established. ?Thanks Ensign, good luck over there.?

?Likewise Sir? Logan smiled as sincerely as he could and shut the channel off.

As both men turned back to monitoring the situation the fake smiles they had sported had now long since faded to a look of concern, neither of them able to shake the feeling that the Borg were getting closer...

OFF

A JP by (Yes thats right, I just JP'd with myself ;))

Lt Samas Marot
Operations Officer
USS Sentinel

and

Ensign Logan (PNPC)
Communications Officer
USS Malinche

played by
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Starbase 386 Crew

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:28 pm

[USS Sirion, Deck 1, XO's Quarters, 1300 hrs, Mission Day 3]

Stevens stayed under the desk, holding onto the chair. The air was still damp, filled with some sort of mist that made Jeff want to cough. He managed to hold it in, cupping a hand over his mouth.

It had been several days since the Borg had attacked the Sirion. At first, the intrepid Executive Officer of the Sirion had ordered the ship to turn around and head for open space. However, the Borg tractored the ship before it could get away and Jeff had to order the engines powered down.

The smart thing he did once the ship was boarded; he encrypted the command codes, hoping the Borg wouldn't be able to access the command level systems. The ship had taken extensive damage to the primary hull and the port nacelle as well as the secondary hull had some damage.

The Borg had landed some sort of craft on the aft part of the ship. The last thing Jeff had seen on the viewscreen was a squad of Borg exiting that vessel and starting to break into the shuttlebay. That appeared odd to Jeff, since from what he knew, they could just transport over through shields.

The Captain and five others had transported to the planet. There were only about 45 people, including Jeff, on the Sirion when she was boarded. The battle didn't last long. Within minutes, the Borg had disabled the shields and knocked out the engines. Before Jeff could order the warp core ejected, the Borg had already taken over engineering.

Reports had come in from all over the ship and Jeff estimated about half were either dead or had become drones. The ship now belonged to the Borg. Jeff ordered all hands to abandon ship, heading for escape pods. As the Acting Captain, Jeff stayed with the ship. He decided for once in his life he would do something worthy of song. Maybe the Klingons would write something for him.

He had managed to raid the armory on Deck 1 before the Borg broke into the bridge. All the bridge staff had already gone to the escape pods, or so he hoped. Jeff waited for everyone to leave before he headed to his own quarters. Once the ship was powered down and in Borg hands, Jeff stocked everything he could against the door. He fused the door shut with a phaser rifle that he had swiped from the armory and hoped for the best.

That had been several days ago.

The food he traditionally had stored in his quarters was almost gone. It had been several days since he last showered and he was somewhat smelly. He started showing a beard and the nasty cut on his forehead was bleeding again. His uniform tunic was a mess, but he didn't see any reason to change it. Once he left the safety of his quarters, he'd get messy again.

Jeff had managed to cut a hole in the wall with a small torch that an engineer had left on the bridge. He'd grabbed that on the way to his quarters. Someone had been banging away at his door three days ago, but they stopped after about twenty minutes. Jeff hoped the Borg would just leave him alone and the ship would be rescued. He still hoped against hope that the Borg would have their fun with the Sirion and then leave, though the likelihood of that happening was a dismal calculation.

"I've got to get out of this room and see what happened to the rest of the ship. I need to find out if anyone is still alive or if they followed orders and got the hell off this ship." said Jeff.

He'd gotten into the habit of talking to himself in the last few days. Seeing as there was nobody else to talk to, he ventured to start conversations with himself.

"I have to get to Deck 8. If I can get down there, I can sabotage the matter/antimatter containment modules. Maybe I can at least blow up the ship and some Borg with it. They haven't broke the command codes yet, but it's only a matter of time. It's a binary system code that I picked up before coming aboard. I'm just glad it's still working."

OFF

Jefferson Stevens
Executive Officer
USS Sirion
USS Peacekeeper
This is a post by a member of Starbase 386's Crew
http://starbase386.antoniemey.com/

Starbase 386 Crew

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:29 pm

ON: < USS Sentinel - Main Bridge ? 1250 hours - Day 3 >

Lieutenant Blake Daggerd was now walking through the corridors on Deck 4 having just left one of the maintenance rooms for the aft phaser array. He was there to check on the progress of the modifications. For the phasers to properly work with the auto-modulation programs that were being installed the cooling system had to be modified because auto-modulated phasers tended to overheat. He was happy to find that the modification was nearly completed and after a few taps of his combadge Blake found that the other phasers were also being modified on schedule.

This good news immediately lightened Blake?s feelings of impending doom but he should have known to expect nothing less from the combined efforts of the Sentinels tactical and engineering teams.

Next the lieutenant stopped at a nearby wall console and contacted engineering. He found that the modifications to the shield systems were also nearly finished and that they had found away to increase their efficiency, at least in computer simulated Borg attacks.

With all of the systems nearly modified Daggerd decided it was time for him to head to the bridge and ensure he would be able to properly interface with everything from the tactical console.

With that Blake entered the nearby turbolift and indicated to the computer that he wanted to go to the bridge. The lift then shot upward towards the bridge. Just then the lights dimmed and the control indicated that the ship had moved into yellow alert. A few seconds later the doors slid open on the bridge and Daggerd quickly moved to his station.

Once he got caught up with what was going on he sent out a message to the work teams and told them to finish up their work immediately and prepare for combat testing of the modified systems.

By

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:35 pm

<<USS Malinche, Liras' Quarters, 1313, Day 3>>

Britney (NPC) had just finished her lunch when she heard Isabel's announcement. Though the Captain hadn't specifically said where she should go, Britney assumed she'd stay on the Alpha section, which her quarters were already in. She was glad that Caleb (NPC) had given her an explanation of MVAM after they left for the Direidi sector - he'd become a fast friend and was helping her with her starship knowledge.

Speaking with the Malinche crew was helping her fill in the gaps - what Direidians knew versus what the rest of the Federation knew. Britney had heard rumors of the Borg and what they did, but it was hard to pick out what actually happened and what had been embellished. Many things proved to be untrue, but in some ways the reality was much worse.

During the whole mission thus far everyone seemed on edge, nervous. Those who had had the misfortune of dealing with the Borg before had become very grim and mostly silent - at least, that was what Britney had noticed of the ones Caleb had pointed out.

Standing up, Britney pushed in her chair and took her uniform jacket from the back of the chair. She still wasn't used to wearing a uniform, and had to admit she didn't like it. Though proud to wear it, Britney missed just wearing regular clothes as she had on Direidi. She missed her family and friends as well...

With a last glance back at her room and a deep breath, Britney slipped into her jacket before heading out into the corridor.

Her eyes darted around the corridor, watching the crew rushing around. She wondered what section her friends were in, but couldn't remember. Hopefully they'd all be safe.

<Bridge, 1317>

The turbolift doors opened and Britney looked around cautiously at the Bridge. Ensigns Sychorski (NPC) and Morris (NPC) were there, as well as Lieutenant Sovak (NPC). Captain Kersare was in her chair, a grim look on her face as the red alert lights flashed. Britney made her way over to the Captain.

"Captain?" Britney waited for Isabel to say something.

Isabel had been watching the viewscreen, but noticed her Yeoman and gave a brief, somewhat forced smile, "Hello Ms. Liras. Need something?"

"Actually I'm here to see if you need anything, ma'am. I heard your announcement," Britney replied.

Isabel nodded, "How has your weapons training been coming?"

"It's going alright, ma'am. Obviously I've only had limited practice thus far, but I at least know the basics."

"Well, you may have to use what you know. Ensign Morris, please get Crewman Liras a Type II phaser," Isabel said as she looked at the Security Officer.

He nodded and moved to retrieve a phaser.

Britney looked back at Isabel, "Do you really think I'll need it, ma'am?"

"I hope not, but I can't guarantee that you won't. You can remain here for now, but if we're boarded, you are to get back to your quarters and block off all entryways, is that clear?" Isabel's eyes looked deep into Britney's, compelling the young woman to comprehend the direness of the situation. Part of her felt guilty for bringing Britney along - if she had stayed on Direidi she wouldn't be in this situation.

"Yes, ma'am." Britney tried to look brave, then nodded to Ryan as he handed her a phaser. After fumbling with it once or twice, she managed to get it clipped to her belt.

"Have a seat," Isabel said, gesturing to the seat on her right. Mason was in command of the Beta section, so he wouldn't be needing it. She watched her yeoman sit down, a bit timid, but still holding her composure. After speaking with the Sirion survivor Isabel had been trying to push back the memory of her husband's death, with limited success. She'd had a difficult time with faith since then, but she hoped God was on their side regardless.

OFF:

Crewman Britney Liras (PNPC)
Captain's Yeoman
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Akios
Crewmember

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:08 am

<USS Malinche Alpha Section Engineering, MD03, 1335>

Once the excitement of separation was over, things in the Engineering unit of alpha section quickly settled into something resembling normal operations. The alpha section nacelles needed to be monitored more closely than the ship's four regular nacelles because they were much smaller in proportion to the section, but other than that, the Engineering systems were actually somewhat simplified by the separation. The top-and-bottom nacelle configuration just took a little getting used to.

After the sections had assumed their formation and were on a steady course, Akios went around the compartment, making sure that each of the others had been issued phasers, and that the phasers were programmed with the new modulations. That check included the weapons locker, which hadn't been completely emptied yet.

When that was done, there was little more to do than man their stations, unfortunately. That gave the crew entirely too much opportunity to dwell on what would happen if they ran into the Borg. Also unfortunately, Akios hardly knew the others now assigned to the section. He could try to get to know them, but it would be strained. He'd rather not try that tactic unless things started to drag out.

Akios tapped a series of instructions into a panel, and suddenly, strident music and harsh singing filled the compartment. Playing "Aktuh and Melota" at three-quarters volume wouldn't endear him to the others, but it would give them something else to think about, and it wasn't like he wasn't suffering along with them; Akios was no fan of klingon opera.
Ensign Turuas'ta Akios
Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Starbase 386 Crew

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:51 pm

[USS Sirion, Deck 1, XO's Quarters, 1320hrs, Mission Day 3]

Jeff had managed earlier to cut a hole in the wall of his quarters big enough for him to get through. He didn't relish the thought of lurking around in the bulkhead areas. Who knew what would be waiting for him on the other side of the door though.

Jeff strapped the phaser on his waist, grabbed the light from his desk drawer and the torch in the other hand. Lighting his way, Jeff started through the hole he'd made in the wall.

"Oh my gods. What am I doing", he said, "here goes nothing. I just hope those metal heads aren't expecting company."

Jeff made it through the hole in the wall and slowly stood up on the other side. He could feel the wall of the bulkhead against the back of his left hand. The wall was very cold to the touch. Jeff shined the light to brighten his surroundings. There were various hose attachments and wiring strewn all about the area.

"So this is what everything looks like behind the scenes." he said.

He slowly made his way towards the aft section, or what he recalled was the aft section. His destination was his own office, which sat behind his quarters on deck one. Jeff knew if he could get to his office, he'd be able to see through the small window he'd had installed some time back, onto the bridge. The Captain had silently made fun of him for installing a small oval window but Jeff liked to look up from his desk and see the bridge.

Inching his way, Jeff finally came to the wall that seperated his office from his quarters. "Why didn't I just cut into my office instead of this service hall?" he said.

Jeff shook his head and felt dizzy again. "Must be the knocking I took when they attacked the ship. He had struck his head during the attack on the panel between his chair and the CO's chair on the bridge.

It took him some time to cut through the wall on his office. *This torch may not last much longer either* he thought. Finally making it through, he crawled out. Only after he'd made it, did he realize some drones could have been on the opposite side waiting for him.

*Ok..I'm officially an idiot again* he thought. Jeff looked up out the oval window, but noted the glass was broken; shattered and laying in pieces on the floor next to the doorway. He belly crawled to the desk and reached up to the drawer on the right, his hand searching for and finding a tricorder.

He withdrew the tricorder and gently closed the drawer. Opening the tricorder, Jeff scanned the immediate area. He knew the small tricorder didn't have a very big range, but it would do for what he needed. His goal was to get to Deck 8.

OFF

LCR Jefferson Stevens
Executive Officer
USS Sirion
USS Peacekeeper

Peters
Senior Staff

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:57 pm

ON: <USS Malinche, Section Gamma, Auxiliary Bridge & Main Engineering, 1330, Day 3>

Lt. Quaid had relinquished control of Section Gamma's Tactical systems to Ensign Stone(NPC) as he felt that he would be and the rest of the section would be better off if he manned the helm. 'Still no word from Captain Kersare about our next move,' he thought to himself as he busied himself by going through the navigation systems check.

"Quaid to Peters," he said after activating the intercom. "What's your status?"

Peters looked at the status monitor reflexively before tapping his commbadge. "All systems show green down here. Full power is available to all systems."

"Great," he replied before smirking, "Maybe when this is all over I can give you a hand on making the separation sequence a little more... smoother?"

"If you have any suggestions, Lieutenant, I'd be glad to test them out. I think it was even bumpier down here than up there." Peters smiled as he motioned the other engineers to get back to their tasks.

"Are your people armed?" Quaid asked as he double checked that everyone on the Bridge was carrying one of the modified type 2 phasers while his personal firearm was safely cradled in the waist holster to his left.

"Every last one of them. I have a few tricks up my sleeve in case the Borg try to beam over, as well," Peters replied. "I'll just keep those under my proverbial hat for now, though."

Quaid was about to reply when Stone cut him off, "Sir, I'm detecting a minor power fluctuation in the port forward phaser array."

"Did you hear that Lieutenant?" Quaid asked as he accessed the status readout from his console.

"Yeah, I heard it," Peters replied as he turned towards the weapons monitoring display to his left. "Aha... the energy pulse tolerance wasn't configured right. I'm correcting it now. Let me know when it looks better."

After a few moments, the phaser array's power reserve display read green across the board. "That's got it... thanks for the assist," Quaid replied as he turned his attention back to the viewscreen.

"That's my job. Anything else I can get for you boys up there? Coffee, Donuts?"

"Hehe, no thanks... I've got a date coming up soon," he grinned, thinking about Rodgers for a moment. "You watch yourselves down there."

"Well, I'll make a deal with you... You avoid all the incoming fire you can, and I'll patch the holes made by what you miss." Peters chuckled. "If that sounds like a fair deal to you, I think we'll come out on the other side in one piece."

"You've got a deal... just keep the deuterium flowing," Quaid replied, "Quaid out."

OFF:

A JP With:

Lieutenant Jake Quaid
Chief Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Quarterstaff
Crewmember

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:56 am

<< Sickbay, USS Malinche, 1330, Day 3>>

" No, I don't imagine he's always like that." Lynn replied to an injured crewman with a giggle. She had the patient sit up and rubbed dermaline Gel on a burn that spanned the witch of his arm. " I don't imagine you'll be suffering from any serious side effects. This will sooth the pain and promote the healing of the skin here."
The doctor waved a white hand over the area motioning to the gel she had just applied.
The crew man nodded his head and eased the arm back down. " You'll be giving me a jug of that stuff?"

" Indeed, A jug o' gel it seems."
Smiling once more she shook her head and finished up. " He's absolutely bonkeh's"
The happy go lucky doctor Lovestreet had left the bay, and Lynn wasn't sure if she should be relieved that she could concentrate or sad that she would look like a looney for laughing at the memory that would be playing over in her mind.

" Alright....Let's see what we have here..." She moved to the next bio bed where a nurse stood administering help. The announcement that had been made seemed to have little to do with the sick bay, so Lynn pushed it to the back of her mind. She would go look for some one to explain what was happening later.
Ensign Lynn Quarterstaff
Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:52 pm

<<USS Malinche, Alpha Section Bridge, 1341, Day 3>>

Isabel was still sitting in her chair, a tad more relaxed since the MVAM had been completed successfully. Unsurprisingly, she was still on edge though...who wouldn't be with the Borg potentially out there, waiting for them?

Considering the fact that the Malinche had never been separated during one of the missions under her command, Isabel was glad things went smoothly. The diagnostics had always come back fine, but even a slight glitch could cause problems if it was the right glitch.

Her thoughts slipped to the Section assignments - concern tugging at her mind. She wasn't sure that putting Marco in Beta Section was the best idea, but at the same time he certainly wasn't happy with her at the moment and Jake was capable of piloting Gamma Section. Too late to worry at this point anyway...the crew were where they were and that couldn't be changed.

Isabel's eyes moved to the viewscreen, showing the Sentinel about to enter the nebula. She had a bad feeling about the whole thing, but what could be done? Turning to Sovak (NPC) she asked, "Anything interesting on sensors, Lieutenant?"

Sovak glanced down at the sensor readings log on her console. Nothing overly relevant yet. "No Captain, nothing out of the ordinary."

"What about in the nebula?" Isabel asked.

"The only things our sensors are picking up are some particles and gases you would expect in a nebula, but since it is a nebula, our sensors are not very reliable," the Vulcan replied.

Isabel nodded, "Thank you Lieutenant."

Though she knew the senors would be almost useless in the nebula, Isabel still wished she had more information. She much preferred to have a good idea of what factors she had to deal with. Unfortunately, not something she could control.

Perhaps worse than the lack of knowledge about the nebula was what could possibly be found in it. The Sirion very well could be in there....but so could the Borg. The other ships had destroyed a Sphere, but they hadn't checked the nebula.

"Ms. Holtman (NPC), open a channel to the other two sections," Isabel ordered.

Caitlyn nodded and tapped at her console quickly, "Channel open ma'am."

OFF: Tag to Hunt/Quaid for JP
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:38 pm

<USS Sirion, Deck 4, MD03, 1325>

Their eyes opened, revealing a corridor on board the Federation Starship Sirion, the drone stepped down from their alcove onto the deck plating, the carpet long since removed, its molecules recycled and reformatted into more useful components. Their eyes scanned the immediate area; their internal sensors relayed all manner of information about the surroundings straight to their ocular implants.

They didn?t need to wonder what they were supposed to be doing, what their assignment was, they knew, they were told by the collective, the millions of voices in their head, each speaking with only one purpose in mind, one objective.

They headed down the corridor to subsection 23b, it was a section badly damaged when Species 5618 had tried to resist them, tried to resist the Borg, a futile gesture; the ?humans? were promptly assimilated and their vessel quickly followed.

They arrived at the subsection, their next command appearing in their mind from nowhere and everywhere all at once, they dutifully set to work.

?They?, admittedly an odd expression when describing an individual, but this Borg, like all others had long since using any possessive terms, it was all ?We? and ?Us?. The voices in their head were loud, a cacophony of conflicting and overlapping noises, overwhelming to most, if not all species.

But then, in an instant the voices spoke with clarity within their head, all the voices on the ship exchanged one urgent piece of information as one voice.

?Incoming vessels detected...?

OFF

Random Borg

played by
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Zeral
Senior Staff

Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:49 am

<<USS Malinche, Sickbay, 1142 Hours, Day 3>>

"I'm famished. I'd love to grab something to eat." Walking alongside the Commander, Nora clasped her hands in her own nervous manner. It wasn't that she was intimidated by anyone with a higher rank than her, but Hunt, Commander or no Commander, did intimidate her in some way. It could have been his height or his presence alone, but it likely had something to do with the fact that he was, in a sense, her first patient on her new assignment. Things certainly seemed to move fast on the Malinche.

"It is my first time on a Prometheus class ship. It's absolutely amazing to me." She responded pleasantly, grateful for the opening small talk. She always liked to get to know a person before jumping in to her role as counselor. "I've served on a Galaxy class ship before, and then on a planet's surface for two years. It's nice to finally be off the ground."

Nora smiled at a man she had been introduced to minutes before, trying to remember the name of the counselor. Giving up, she called a generic greeting to him before returning her attention back to the Commander. "I'd better start learning names quick," she commented dryly, laughing softly. "I won't be a very effective Chief Counselor if I can't even remember who my own counselors are. You must have to memorize lots of names and faces. Do you have any valuable advice for me?"

?All I can really say counselor is that just take it one day at a time you won?t remember everyone?s face by reading personnel files but just by talking with them face to face and being more interactive and friendly amongst the crew. That way you can develop friendships and get to know all the new faces you are responsible for.? He said jokingly.

He allowed the counselor to go first around into another corridor.

?Yeah I have been on this ship for more than two years I believe it?s been and is wonderful great crew and a very patient CO. Each crew member including the Captain is very dedicated to his or her job and to me that is a great foundation into building a crew of harmony.? He said.

"Then it seems like I've hit the jackpot," Nora said with a smile. "Not every crew is so dedicated to their ship, and especially not every First Officer and Commanding Officer. It can be disastrous when a crew isn't united. I've seen it too many times."

She frowned slightly as unpleasant memories danced through her mind, but as swiftly as they appeared they were banished. She needed to focus on the issues at hand with Commander Hunt, not reminisce on events in her past. There would be another time, another place to think of that.

"You said that you're seeing images, hearing sounds?" She would have liked to have spent more time getting to know him, but it seemed prudent to try helping him right away. "Do you think you could describe them to me? Also, I like to ask this of anyone who meets with me: Since I am a Betazoid, I am capable of reading emotions, feelings, desires, even the occasional disjointed thought. Are you comfortable with that, or would you rather I keep my abilities in check?"

?Well, the images and sounds were of people I have never met before. Pointing to stars that seemed to indicating a direction of sorts to where I am not sure. Everything seemed to be pointing to a place. Each time I woke up the images and sounds were still fresh in mind so one day I checked the personnel database and saw the images or at least some of them that were in my mind they turned out to be part of the Sirion crew. Having some of the survivor?s on board has intensified those images and sounds.?

It took him a moment to allow the counselor?s second question to arise in his mind.

?Of course if other members of the crew are experiencing what I am and then by all means. I will admit I thought at first I thought I had some telepathic genes but I know that no one in my family is telepathic at least not that I know of.? He said folding his hands.

She listened carefully to his explanations, her dark eyes widening slightly.

"I've heard of many cases where an individual is gifted with telepathy without any rational explanation. In my case, most Betazoids have a paracortex, our telepathic lobe. But in other species, it's not so easy to tell where their telepathic powers may come from. Then again, these images may have nothing to do with your own abilities. It could be that a powerful telepath is reaching out to you, trying to tell you something."

There were many more possibilities, ranging from the strange to the absolutely absurd, but Nora had learned in her 26 years of life to never overlook any possibility. Not every event had an easy explanation, and if she was going to help Hunt she needed to approach his strange experiences with an open mind.

"Have you tried acting on the images you've seen? I mean, have you tried to identify the constellations you've been shown?"

Mason sat there for one brief moment as the images and sounds began to resurface, he continued to fidget and move in his seat but nothing that he was seeing helped him make any connections. He took a moment and cleared his head and he started to rub his left eye when he looked up at the screen and pointed to one of the constellations. It was one he had never seen before but felt strong about with the senses he was getting in his mind.

"That one." He spoke aloud.

She watched him carefully, impressed by his concentration as he apparently cleared his mind. Her dark eyes focused on the constellation he'd located on the screen. It was one that she did not recognize herself, although that wasn't exactly surprising.

"I just don't understand how someone could be sending me a telepathic message. Could you somehow tell me if in fact I do have some sort of telepathic gift?" Mason asked in a scared tone.

Truthfully, she'd known the answer to that question for some time now. She placed a hand softly on his shoulder, squeezing it gently in a gesture that was meant to be comforting. Not only was fear evident in his voice, but she could easily sense his trepidation. "You're sensitive, that much is certain. I believe you have the ability to receive telepathic messages, although I'm not sure if you can send any of your own. If you like, we could explore this more another time. There are certain tests we can use."

Hunt looked up at her and got to walk around hoping that it pacing would ease his astonishment at his new found abilities. He was a bit terrified of having such abilities but he was part of a mission to rescue a ship and crew so he shook it all off and sat back down.

?I think we should run the tests now, if there is way for me to send out messages it may prove useful during this mission. It could also help in locating more pods.? He said folding his hands.

When he got the news from the scans, he was indeed shocked and helped his mind become more focused and relaxed. Someone in his family long ago must have had the gift too.

"Ok, now we need to identify that constellation." He said moving closer to the screen.

Nora moved closer as well. "What do you think is out there? More escape pods, perhaps? Or do you believe the images you've seen have already happened?"

?The images are constant and seemed to be focused here on the present not to mention the after images of escape pods hovering about in space. But I can?t tell where they are. Perhaps after visiting sickbay we could use the science stations on the bridge to locate that constellation?? he said.

It was at that moment that Captain Kersare made her announcement. The Malinche was going into MVAM soon, so any tests would have to wait. ?I guess we?ll have to postpone this for a little while,? Nora said with a small smile. ?Whenever you get a chance, stop by my office and we can look more into this. You may find out more in the meantime.? Extending her hand, she added sincerely, ?It?s been a pleasure meeting you, Commander.?

OFF:

A JP With:

Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Akios
Crewmember

Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:43 am

<USS Malinche Alpha Section Engineering, MD03, 1345>

Akios paused the opera playback. "Keep an eye on the flow regulators, S'erak," Akios said. "As I understand it, they'll come up close to maximum capacity every time we use combat systems."

"Yes sir," the vulcan answered. "Impluse systems are functioning within normal parameters. I have run tests on the power transfer systems for weapons, shields and warp drive. No anomalies have been detected. We appear to be ready for full power on all systems.

"I've been running checks on the main computer, sir," Dirland said. "No unusual problems with ship separation have come up. We're continuing to run optimization simulations on the new Borg countermeasures. They currently show ninety two percent optimization and rising."

"I just hope we don't need them," Akios said.

As he reached for the control to resume the playback, a voice said, "Do we really need that, sir?"

Akios looked over at Altin. "Do you have a problem with klingon opera, Cadet?"

"It... kind of makes it hard to concentrate, sir," the young man said.

"You need to learn to accomplish your tasks despite distractions, Cadet," S'erak said.

"Yes, sir, but still..."

"What are working on that requires so much concentration?" Akios asked.

"Well... I had an idea for a new power cycling sequence for the structural integrity fields that would cause an automatic response boost in any section of the ship under attack, but I'm having trouble smoothing out some... glitches..."

"I see. Kylie, do you have time to give him a hand?"

"As long as the Borg don't show up," Dirland said, and walked over to the cadet's station. "Let me see what you've got."
Ensign Turuas'ta Akios
Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Lovestreet
Senior Staff

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:24 pm

<< Sickbay, USS Malinche, 1346, Day 3>>

Dr. O sat in his chair, wondering how long it would take to become comfortable. He was browsing some items on the computer, wondering if there was something more he could do for the patients in sickbay. They had all been given dermaline Gel, but Oliver wondered about that experimental application for burns with Biomimetic gel. There had been a few scientists and doctors on the fringes of the Federation who had been working with biomimetic gel as a type of skin regeneration.

He thumbed through some topics on the computer. "Biomatter resequencer, nah, we don't want to flush them down the toilet; Bioregenerative field - now that's an idea. One of those chaps is totally burned up. Looks like a fry cook at a bon fire. Bussard collector - shew."

Dr. O had a chill up his spine at the thought of Bussard collector. "I want to cure them, not give them an enima. Microfusion initiator, now that would get their fire burning. We might have to use Motor assist bands on that patient on the first bed on the second section. Seems to have some problems with fine motor skills."

O looked up at the doorway, hoping for an assistant to pop in and tell him the eagle had landed or the stork was flying; anything other than 'we have engaged the borg'.

=^= Dr. Lovestreet to Doctor Quarterstaff. Have you already administered the T-cell stimulator? I want to see if we can get the tissue to help us out here. =^=
Dr. Oliver Lovestreet
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B