Mission 12: When In Rome

Posts for the USS Malinche's missions

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:10 am

<Computer Core, MD03, 1310>

Jack had moved deep into the core over the course of the last hour or so and was checking each memory bank manually, so far he had found no sign of tampering, not that he had honestly expected to.

He was scanning the last control block of this section, it was a vertical pull out section, 2 metres high and about half a metre thick that was ejected from the wall and contained various isolinear chip clusters and 2 bioneural gel packs, once again the readings weren’t unusual and he was sliding the panel back into the core when he heard someone speak.

“Hey there buddy...”

Jack spun round and saw Phillip Taos (NPC), “Hi...” Jack replied surprised to see the man in the computer core.

“What ya up to there?” he asked, Phillip was a tall man and well built, his accent was from New Zealand and his complexion reflected his Maori heritage.

“Oh the usually, checking on possible reasons why the ship’s been malfunctioning, though to be honest it feels like we’re chasing shadows in the dark...” Jack pushed the panel back in fully and locked it in position, “It’s all fun here.”

“It sounds it, almost as much fun as that time Foster had us clean out those plasma conduits by hand, it took us a fortnight just to do half a deck!” Phillip chuckled slightly at the memory.

“Well,” Jack began as he knelt down and placed some items in the tool box he was carrying and laying the tricorder on top carefully, “that should have taught us not to use the cargo bays for laser tag.”

“HA!” Phillip laughed, “yeah, for about 2 weeks!” He sighed, “Good times right?”

“Yep, good times...” Jack said reminiscing about their time together on his last posting.

“You still got that problem with authority Jack? You know it’s gonna hold your career back don’t you? I worry about you, still do, you keep people at arm’s length, you’re afraid to let anyone in and I worry what that might do to you...”

“It keeps my Christmas card list at a manageable length...” Jack retorted.

Phillip smiled somewhat patronisingly, “See, there you go using humour as a defensive mechanism...”

“Taos, I appreciate the pep talk but your uniform is grey, not teal, if I wanted psychoanalysing I would have gone to the ships counsellor...”

“Sorry Jack, I just don’t like seeing you alone, not when I know the burden you carry, hell, I know it better than you do...”

“Hmmm” Jack said, not fully convinced, “So what brings you down here?”

“Oh, just thought I’d see how my old friend is doing, make sure you’re doing your best to get to the bottom of what’s happening round here.” He smiled at Jack, “No clues?”

“Nothing in the core at least...”

“Anyone have any theories?”

“People have some I’m sure...” Jack glanced down at his tool box.

“And you Jack?” Phillip said glancing around the core.

“Taos, what the hell are you doing down here?”

“Like I said old friend, I’m just curious.”

“Curious?” Jack said disbelieving

“Nothing wrong with that is there?”

“Well honestly Taos, there kinda is...”

“What’s that Jack?” He said still smiling after all this time.

“Could be that you aren’t a member of this crew...” Jack began, “Or, could be that you died 2 years ago...”

Phillips smile changed, it was more malevolent, his eyes seemed to pierce into Jack, and he laughed, not the chuckle from earlier, something much more sinister, “Yep, could be something like that killer...”

Jack drew his phaser cleanly from its holster and took aim, unfortunately in the second it took to complete the motion Phillip had disappeared

“Damn it!” Jack cursed.

He holstered the phaser and knelt down once again, he had left the tricorder scanning and pointing at the man who had appeared when he cleared the tools away. He checked the scan logs looking for any sign that what he had seen wasn’t just a hallucination...

“Got ya...”
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Re: Mission 12: When In Rome

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:36 pm

ON: <<Secondary Computer Core, USS Malinche, MD03, 1504>>

The doors opened with a faint hiss as Will stepped into the small computer control room and looked around. Except for the light from the empty workstation, the room was rather dimly lit. Frowning slightly, he stepped forward, allowing the doors to hiss closed behind him. Slowly, he moved to the workstation and slid into the chair without a sound. Something was nagging at him and he needed to find out what had caused it.

Glancing down at the controls, he wasn't surprised to see that everything was running normally, despite the readings he had seen from his office earlier. Will tapped out a few commands to see if anyone had accessed the console recently, but the results came up negative. Still, something didn't seem quite right. It was too perfect. He had been running a quick diagnostic from the Ops office to be sure everything was ship-shape and he had seen a distinct anomaly in the secondary computer core, as if someone or something had been accessing files, though he didn't know which ones. By the time he had tracked the action to this core, it was already over and there was no more lead to follow.

"Computer, did anyone enter this room in the last two hours," Will asked.

"Negative."

"Drat," Will muttered to himself, leaning back in the chair. He tried to think of what could have been causing the fluctuations. If it wasn't a person, maybe it was energy readings or some other anomaly.

"Computer, were there any anomalous readings within the past two hours," Will inquired.

"Affirmative," the computer replied.

Will suddenly sat up in his chair. "Clarify," he ordered, waiting intently for the computer's answer.

"Anomalous readings recorded at 1435 hours. Not associated with a specific crewmember."

Now he was getting somewhere. Hands dancing across the console, Will accessed the sensor logs for the room. What he found surprised him as much as the computer's readings had. It wasn't conclusive, but there had been something there. If that something had affected the computer systems, even briefly, Will wondered what kind of effect it could have in the future.

The doors swished open and Barin (NPC) walked in. He raised an eyebrow as he saw Will, who seemed to be anxious, "Problems sir?"

Will looked up, surprised to see anyone else down at the secondary core. "Just a little mystery," he quipped.

"What kind of mystery? Something other than the odd things happening since entering the Expanse?" Barin walked over to where the Chief Operations Officer was.

"I don't know," Will replied, his gaze returning to the console, "It could be...then again, it might not be. I remember checking every single system and section of the computer core right after the restart and there were no problems. But now..."

Barin raised an eyebrow, "Now?"

"Well," Will said, gesturing toward the console and the strange readings, "Something has changed. I don't know if it's someone or something that did it, but somehow, these traces showed up after the restart was complete."

"Much as I hate to say it, could it be that the problem isn't something that the restart would fix? And I know some problems have been somewhat intermittent - maybe it was okay when you did the check, but isn't anymore," Barin suggested. He didn't like the idea; it was challenging enough to track down problems at times, let alone ones that only showed up some of the time.

"I suppose it's possible," Will replied, rubbing his chin as he thought, "But still...it's my job to track these things down and try to fix them." A sudden thought came to him and his hands began to dance across the console again with fervid energy.

"Really it's my job too, sir. At this point I'm afraid you have a head start on me though." He could sense that Will was uncomfortable, but since he refused to read people's actual thoughts without permission, he wasn't sure why. With the flurry of activity, Barin looked at the man, "What is it?

"Someone is accessing root command files," Will answered quickly, "and they're doing a heck of a job covering their tracks." Every time he thought he was getting close, the trail jumped to another series of systems. It was almost a completely random pattern with no sensible explanation. The question was...why?

Barin considered what Will was saying, "It has to be someone with experience and who knows the system well, then. I'd say that maybe they were trying to help, but if you're helping you don't need to cover your tracks. Unless they did something to cause earlier problems, and went in to fix them. Doubt it though. I could see if I can untangle it, sir, it is part of my job after all."

Suddenly, the trail abruptly vanished. Will let out a frustrated growl and slammed his fist against the console. "Lost it," he snapped in clarification, "It just...disappeared."

"Disappeared?" The Betazoid frowned.

Will tried to find the trail he had traced up to that point, but it, too, was gone. It was as if the entire chase had not happened at all. The young officer leaned back in his chair and rubbed his hands across his face, letting out a frustrated sigh. "Looks like we're back to square one," he said, looking up at Barin, "Let's run a level three diagnostic. Then I want to try to retrace our steps, see if there's anything we missed."

Barin nodded, "Of course, sir. Won't be overly quick, but I'll see what I can do to get it done ASAP." He moved over to a console and typed in the commands to start the diagnostic. Shaking his head, he wondered how many diagnostics had been run since they entered the Expanse.

OFF

A JP by

Lieutenant JG Will Schulz
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche

and

Lieutenant JG Barin Nostra (NPC)
Systems Maintenance Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B
played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Peters
Senior Staff

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:55 pm

OFF: This is VERY MUCH a back post

ON: <USS Malinche, Main Engineering, Day 1, 0900>

"Check the alignment on the magnetic constrictors," Peters called to the tech nearest the warp core. "I want the smoothest possible launch we can get, so make sure everything is at spec or better." Hearing the doors into Engineering hiss open behind him, Peters turned to see who was entering.

James walked through the doors into Engineering. This was his first day as the new Assistant Chief Engineer and like most new recruits, he was nervous. He walked up to Peters and calmly introduced himself."Ensign James Davis, Assistant Chief Engineer, reporting for duty, sir."

"Ah, yes... welcome aboard, Ensign." Peters gave the newest member of his staff an appraising look. He could well remember when he'd been on his first assignment as an assistant in a department. It could be a nerve-wracking experience. "Glad to have you with us."

"Pleasure to be aboard, sir. I've been waiting for this opportunity my whole life." James tried to contain his nervousness as best as he could. He was living his dream to be a part of Starfleet. "Forgive me if I seem a little nervous."

"Understandable, Mister Davis. But try to calm down," Peters smiled. "No one here bites... well, except maybe D'Vhal, but then, he IS a Klingon." Gesturing with one arm, Peters put his other hand on Davis' shoulder. "Step into my office and we'll talk for a minute."

Davis followed Peters to his office. Taking a couple deep breaths, he managed to calm himself. He entered the office and remained standing. "I heard this was one of the finest crews in the 8th Fleet. I just want to say again that it is a pleasure to be aboard with this crew."

Peters nodded with a small smile as he walked around his desk and sat down. "We like to think we have a good crew. And a good ship, too. Please, sit down."

Davis sat directly in front of Peters. The nervousness went away and he was ready for his very first assignment. He looked around the office for a brief moment and then back at Peters. "You have my full attention, sir."

"I'll cut straight to the chase," Peters said. "How much experience do you have with the propulsion and power generation systems of the Prometheus class?"

"I have about four years experience including my time with Star Fleet Academy." Davis said with a small grin. If there was one thing he was interested in his whole life, was how the warp drives operated and how they could be fixed to run smoother.

"Propulsion and Power have always interested me." Davis grinned a little more.

"Not quite what I asked, but you made your point," Peters replied with a smile. "Pretty much everything they taught you at the academy will apply to PARTS of the Malinche's systems, but there are a lot of unique quirks to this class of ship, since we essentially have three separate Warp Drive, Impulse, and Structural Integrity systems trying to act as one unit most of the time."

"Understood. I understand the components of the Warp Drive, Impulse, and Structural Integrity systems, but only in separate instances." Davis almost thought he had ruined his first day. A little bit of sweat trickled down the right side of his face.

Peters nodded. "That's about what I expected. What I'll do is start you working with the Alpha section maintenance teams. Those components generally only operate when the ship is separated, so it'll be closer to what you've been taught. Then we'll work with you to get you up to speed on the rest of the ship."

Davis' worries went away in an instant. He was relieved to hear that from Peters. He gave a small smile. "That sounds excellent, sir. I will do my best not to let you down or the crew down."

"I'm sure you'll do fine, Mister Davis, and I'm glad to have you with us," Peters replied as he stood. "Report to the Alpha Section Engineering bay when your next duty shift starts."

Davis stood with a smile. His dreams had come true. He was ready to start his new life. "Yes, sir."

OFF:

This has been a Joint Post with

Ensign James Davis
Assistant Chief Engineer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Steele
Senior Staff

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:49 am

On:
15:12 hrs
Sickbay
USS-Malinche

Nurse Marsid (NPC) took a look at Reyna's (NPC) chart. In some ways it was nice to have a 'normal ' patient to deal with instead of the odd diseases that seemed to lurk around the galaxy.

"How are you feeling?"

"The pain's subsided for the most part. Doc says I can leave tomorrow if I use crutches but have to come back for treatment."

Marsid noticed the computer console next to the bed was on. While she often tried to discourage patients from working while still in sickbay unless it was an emergency, many patients did so anyway. She finally stopped discouraging it and engaged the patients in conversation regarding their work.

"Whatcha studying?"

Reyna frowned at the nurse's question.
"Studying, I wasn't studying anything. At least not recently. Why do you ask?"

Marsid motioned towards the monitor.
"You're the only patient in this room, son unless it was left on than you were using it."

The young scientist looked at the information on the monitor. It was of a pseudo-scientific nature but more technical than she usually looked at; sensor bandwiths, range, common problems and ways to fool sensor readings.

"Honestly I don't remember looking up any of this information. I don't even know why I would, sensors really aren't my thing. Although we have been working with Ops and Engineering to see if we can't clear up the sensor interference."

Marsid took a second look at Reyna's chart.
"I wouldn't worry too much. It's most likely just a side affect of the Relxin, everyone responds differently and being a joined Trill may amplify your reaction. For now just rest and let the medical staff know if the pain worsens."

Off:
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:27 am

<Deck 8, MD03, 1330>

As the turbolift doors slid open Ensign Khg’yhop’ila (NPC) had to move quickly to catch Jack as he stumbled and almost fell out of the lift, “Are you ok sir?” she asked propping up the Lieutenant.

“Oh, yes, sorry,” Jack said straightening himself, “tripped, new legs and all that...”

The ensign stared at him for a moment at which point Jack smiled and winked, hoping this would mark the last comment as a joke. It seemed to work and after exchanging pleasantries and promising to be more careful on his new legs the two parted leaving Jack to carry on to his intended destination, only of course now it wasn’t where he was heading at all.

Jack had planned on heading to the science lab to analyse the readings he had taken on his tricorder but as he walked down the corridor and past the science lab he pulled out the tricorder and cleared the sensor log.

He rounded a corner and found a bathroom, he entered and walked to the sink, the tap sensed someone was near and slid out from the wall and began pouring once he placed his hands under it. It had been a long time since he had felt water on his skin, it was weird, the simple things that he found he missed, he splashed the cold water on his face, enjoying the sensation then straightened and looked in the mirror.

“Could be worse...” he said to himself as he rubbed the beard that his new companions face was sporting.

He knew he had work to do, important work... ‘Jack’ dried his hands, finding even that act novel and left the bathroom, “Time to turn this ship around...” he said to himself as he did so...

<Tag Eldon or Alex for a JP? ;)>
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:41 pm

<<Ready Room, 1500, Day 3>>

While Engineering and Operations had been restarting the Computer Core and doing Systems checks, Isabel had finally managed to get a little sleep in her Ready Room. Admittedly not the most comfortable place to sleep, but she'd been so exhausted she hadn't really cared. Besides, as Commanding Officer, she had to be prepared...working on no sleep wasn't very helpful for that.

She walked over to the replicator, "Coffee, black." Even after the sleep, she could still use a pick-me-up. The mug materialized in the replicator and Isabel picked it up, taking in the aroma. Smiling, she took a sip. Isabel frowned, coffee? She hadn't had it in years...it tasted awful. Why had she ordered it?

Shaking her head, Isabel walked over to her desk, moved behind it, and took a seat. She'd been waiting for confirmation that they could continue on. Her eyes moved to the door as she heard the doorchime, "Enter."

Britney (NPC) walked in and headed straight for Isabel's desk. "Good afternoon, Captain."

Isabel smiled, "Have a seat. You have news for me?"

Nodding, Britney replied, "Yes, the computer core restart is complete. They've also checked the systems and things appear to be fine, other than a few anomalies."

Raising an eyebrow, Isabel asked, "Anomalies?"

"Well, they're not sure if the anomalies are due to being in the Expanse or not, but everything appears to be functioning normally, from what I understand," Britney replied. "Here's the report, ma'am."

Isabel took the PADD from Britney and read through it. "Well, it doesn't look like anything that should prevent us from continuing. Ask Lieutenant Barrett to have them run checks one last time and then we'll get the engines going to continue on at 1500. Also ask him to see me, he was going to be checking on some things himself and I've not heard back from him yet."

"Of course, ma'am," Britney smiled, but then frowned as she saw Isabel rubbing her temples. "Is something wrong Captain?"

"No, just a bit of a headache. Probably from this coffee," Isabel replied, motioning towards the mug of coffee on her desk.

Concerned, Britney looked at Isabel, "Others have been reporting headaches too, ma'am... Maybe you should stop by Sickbay."

"I'm fine, really, but I appreciate the concern," Isabel gave her Yeoman a smile, trying to be reassuring. "Just be sure to send Lieutenant Barrett here once he's finished."

Britney nodded and stood up, "I will." With a small smile, she turned and headed for the door. She didn't like the idea that the Captain was getting headaches too... maybe on her way to see the Executive Officer she could stop by Sickbay or the Counseling office...

OFF:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:01 pm

<<Corridor outside Engineering, 1542, Day 3>>

Still not feeling very well - feeling worse, truth be told, Caleb (NPC) had requested to go to Sickbay. He hated to leave Engineering short a crewmember, but he just wasn't feeling right. The pounding in his head seemed to be getting worse somehow.

The further he walked, the more disoriented he felt. Caleb paused and leaned against a bulkhead, closing his eyes. When he opened them, he saw a dimly lit corridor...it wasn't the Malinche. He closed his eyes again, tightly. Opening them slowly, he saw the Malinche's corridor again. What was going on?

Caleb finally decided to keep moving and pushed himself away from the bulkhead. Something seemed to be at the back of his mind, something he should remember, but didn't. Joey (NPC).

Joey? Why Joey? Sure, he'd worked with the Operations Officer before, but they weren't the closest of friends. Yet...he seemed to vaguely recall seeing Joey earlier. He hadn't been doing anything that he needed to work with Operations on, so why would he have met up with him?

Caleb shook his head. Maybe he should stop in and see the Counselor while he was at it. This was just getting too weird.

As he rounded the corner, he saw Jack walking down the corridor. The Chief Intelligence Officer, and now Acting Chief Security Officer, seemed to be headed somewhere. As Jack walked by, he gave Caleb a knowing smile.

Alex turned and grinned. It was almost time. He followed ‘Jack’ down the corridor, close, but not too close so as to arouse suspicion.

At the end of the corridor, Eldon was already waiting.

OFF:

Warrant Officer Second Class Caleb Corrin (NPC)
Warp Systems Specialist
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Barrett
Senior Staff

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:52 am

<<USS Malinche>>
<Deck 8, Secondary Computer Core, 1545, Day 3>

Jason was acutely aware that something odd had happened; his tricorder was still in his hand but he found himself unable to concentrate for the moment. He shook his head, clearing away the rather foggy haze that surrounded his current state of mind. It didn't take long for him to realize what he was doing, turning back to the display he watched another set of numbers scrolled by.

"Well, that doesn't look right," he stated, although he was long since along in the room.

Backing the listing up again he looked over the data that appeared odd to him. Apparently someone or something had implanted several subrountines in the navigational array. It was a clever trick, buried in several layers of code that the normal diagnostic would miss. Frowning, Jason tapped a few more keys bringing up the program in more detail. Whoever wrote it sure knew what they were doing; it was complex, too complex for anyone person to actually right.

"I highly advise that you turn around and stop what you are doing."

Jason turned around, his hand dropping to his phaser. Joey (NPC) was standing behind him, phaser trained at Jason. There was something off about him though, something that not even Jason could manage to point out. Taking a step away from the work station, Jason placed his hands in the air.

"Might I ask what you are doing?" Jason responded, keeping his voice cool and calm.

"Stopping you from undoing what took me a very long time to create, step toward me please."

"Joey, this isn't like you."

Something around the corner caught Joey's attention and thats when Jason moved. He covered the distance between to the two of them in a heartbeat, slamming into Joey with such force that he was sent hurling backwards into the bulkhead, his phaser flying from his hand. Using the Vulcan neck pinch, Jason had Joey out cold before he could even muster a protest.

"Barrett to sickbay."

"Go ahead," Adam (NPC) answered.

"I need a medical team to the secondary computer core, ASAP."

"Dispatching one now."

Jason tapped his combadge, closing the channel to sickbay and then reopenning one to the captain.

"Barrett to Kersare."

"Go ahead."

"You may want to get down here sir, I found something rather interesting."

OFF:
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:06 am

<Corridor, 1545, MD03>

It was always an unusual process, he knew that going into it, he had done it a few times since the Malinche had entered range though admittedly never for long, but still, this time was different...

At first glance he had lucked out; landing in the person who, for the time being, was in charge of the ships security could be very helpful given what he knew was coming but walking down the corridor something was becoming apparent, ‘Jack’ wasn’t what he appeared, he wasn’t sure Jack was who he appeared to be either.

On the other occasions he had tried inhabiting anyone else he had found that he had access to all their memories, it was especially important when it came to maintaining cover, being able to know how someone would react and what they might talk about with anyone they meet was obviously very helpful.

But this wasn’t the case with this man, this ‘Jack’....

His memories were accessible but something was odd about them, something seemed out of place, like walking into a room and knowing that something wasn’t quite the way you had left it or like just catching a glimpse of something out of the corner of your eye but the moment you turn round there’s nothing there....

He snapped out of his thoughts when he saw a crewman walking towards him, this time it was his own memory he could use and he knew instinctively that this member of the crew was one of them.

He smiled as he passed, feeling the man turn and follow a few metres behind him...
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Peters
Senior Staff

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:12 pm

ON: <USS Malinche, Main Engineering, Day 3, 2104>

"There's not such thing as gremlins," Peters said. "There's no such thing as gremlins. Scientifically impossible for there to be little creatures running around in my control systems. So why do things keep not working?" He gave the console a light kick for good measure.

Looking to his right, he saw that the other engineers present were looking at him like he'd lost his mind. It wasn't too far from the truth, he supposed, but he couldn't let his staff know how close he was to going off the deep end, misbehaving ship or no. "Doesn't anyone have any work to do?"

They all hurried back to their systems checks and diagnostics. The team working on the engine restart barely even twitched. That was as it should be, they, of all the people working in engineering at the moment, could least afford to allow themselves to get distracted. One wrong step in the engine restart process at a critical moment and the Malinche could be stuck where she was for days, if not weeks.

Peters pushed away from his console and stood up, then started to pace back and forth across the small area outside his office. He'd tried every conventional diagnostic in the book and a few he hadn't seen used anywhere but extreme worst-case scenario simulations. Nothing going on aboard the Malinche added up to any situation Peters could logically conceive of. And that, more than the systems failures, was what was driving him batty.

'Alright, Todd, think,' Peters thought to himself, the irony of that thought escaping him for the moment. 'We've tried everything in the book, including throwing the book straight at the computer. Time to throw the book out the airlock and come up with some unique ideas.'

Continuing to pace, Peters ticked off the options on one hand. It could be a virus, but the scan hadn't detected any when they'd restarted the computer. It could be a malfunctioning processor node somewhere in the critical systems, but the failures were too widespread and they should have found that with the first diagnostic run. It could be sabotage... and there WERE those unexplained devices Akios had found that they'd gotten removed at 386. But who would benefit from stranding the Malinche in the middle of unclaimed space?

The Romulans perhaps, but they'd surely have done a better job of it than random systems failures. The Elyshans, but they'd have attacked by now... likewise with the Breen. The only other option was that it was an effect from the Taevon expanse, but Peters didn't put much stock in that, since their exposure to the region had been minimal thus far, and ships had reportedly spent weeks in the very outer edges of the expanse without appreciable damage. It was primarily farther in that ships encountered trouble.

Could it be a combination of factors? Quite possibly. "Computer," Peters called out, "Begin the most intensive virus scan possible on all sectors of the main computer core, including write-protected sectors. Also scan the secondary processor nodes."

The computer bleeped acknowledgment, but Peters wasn't done yet. "Also, compile a list of all accesses to restricted systems and the computer core memory buffer since... in the last 96 hours. Cross-reference that list with the position and logged assignments of the accessing officer and highlight any anomalies."

"Due to Virus scan memory usage, requested procedure will take approximately 4 hours and 33 minutes to complete."

"That's fine," Peters replied. 'After all,' he thought, 'it's not as if we're going anywhere.'

OFF:
Tony
AKA
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:26 am

<Bridge, 1620, MD03>

I’m a pilot for crying out loud…

Carson was in the middle of his 5th hour staring at the view screen and he was starting to get fed up, he knew ships would often stay still for a length of time, but that was usually because of some choice and because it was necessary for the mission. The Malinche was sitting still for neither of those reasons.

His hands danced over the controls, checking the status of the engines for the 17th time, “What a surprise…” he said quietly to himself as the display confirmed the Malinche was still dead in the water.

He’d never been one to stand still, it was why he became a pilot in the first place, he was proactive and liked to be kept busy, this kind of situation was torture for him. If he had his way he’d walk right down to the shuttlebay, fire up the biggest one he could find and just start pulling the Malinche, he knew full well the differences in sizes made it unlikely that it would make any real difference and he’d probably blow the engines or the tractor emitter before he had moved a metre, but at least he would feel like he was doing something.

He sighed and lent back in his chair causing the operations officer on the console next to him to glance over, Joe shrugged at him and apologised quietly, operations was certainly not having the slow day that flight control was.

He sat forward again, sighed once more while staring at his console, and checked the engine status...

OFF:

Ensign Joseph Carson
Flight Control Officer

Played By
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:22 pm

<Storeroom, 1554, MD03>

The door slid closed and Jack activated the door lock, it would be no one explainable to have the door locked than to have two people with no reason to be there having a secret meeting in the storeroom, but it just seemed like the thing to do in ‘Jack’s mind.

“Status report?”

"We're ready. Eldon took care of sensors and I created a nice little program to play with the engines," Alex smiled.

“Any sign you that anyone’s caught on? No computer alerts or suspicious crew members?” He wasn’t usually this paranoid, of course it wasn’t everyday that you plotted to essentially hijack a starship, but still, this wasn’t a feeling he wasn’t used to and he began to wonder if he was adopting some small part of his current host’s personality.

Alex looked at Yana, "You're kidding right? Of course they're suspicious and looking into everything! What with all the problems with the ship, they're rather paranoid and keep meddling to find out what's wrong. I highly doubt they have any idea what's actually going on or what we've been up to, but they're suspicious anyway."

“As long as they don’t know exactly what’s going before it's too late then let them run around being suspicious.” He placed the small toolkit that Jack had with him in the core back on the relevant rack before continuing, “I’m in the acting security chief now, I can give them enough false leads and mistaken reports to keep them occupied for the time being.”

"That will certainly come in handy," Alex smiled. "I obviously have the Engineer, and Eldon was in that Ops Officer."

Yana nodded Jack's head. “How long before the fun with the engines might start?”

Alex shrugged, "Couple hours at least, the engines have been off for hours and I'm sure that Captain will want to be extra careful. Should be sometime tonight though."

Before Alex could say any more, the door opened and someone in Medical Teal walked in. Alex immediately recognized Eldon, "What happened to you? I thought you were in that Ops Officer..."

"Yeah, yeah. That pesky XO was snooping and we got in a tussle. Got knocked out and my cover was blown, so I moved to the Med guy," Eldon replied.

Yana sighed in frustration, it was inevitable that someone might catch one of them out, but it was too early, their plan could still be ruined.

Frowning Alex said, "Why medical? Nobody better around?"

"Medical has its advantages too. If there's another fight I'll be there and can help keep cover. Let someone else find an Ops Officer, or why not someone in command? As long as we reach our goal, what does it matter?" Eldon looked from one to the other.

Yana sighed again and after a few moments nodded his head in reluctant agreement. “So what else needs to doing? Keeping in mind the XO might have me spending the next few hours interrogating someone who knows nothing about what’s doing on...”

Eldon shrugged, "Should just be a matter of waiting for them to finally get going and make sure they go the right direction. And ensure they continue in the right direction, of course. Since you found the Acting Security Chief to inhabit, you should be in a good position."

“In one sense at least, there’s something off about this man....something...wrong...” Yana said, the statement prompting a moment of silence before he smiled to lighten the mood, “But I do get the big quarters...”

He paused, “Well I guess I should start heading back, it would appear I’m due a call from the XO...” he looked towards Eldon.

"At least you know what's going on. Have fun," Eldon smiled.

Alex looked at Yana, "Just don't make him any more suspicious.."

OFF:

A JP by

Eldon/Alex played by:

Captain Kersare
Commanding Officer

and

Yana played by and inhabiting the head of
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Masterson
Senior Staff

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:26 am

ON: <<Mess Hall, USS Malinche, MD03, 1638>>

Will entered the messhall and tossed his PADD onto a nearby table where it clattered loudly enough to attract some attention. He ignored the looks from other officers as he plopped himself down into the chair and dropped his head into his hands with an exasperated sigh.

He'd been following a maze through the main computer all day and gotten nowhere. Every time it seemed like he was getting somewhere, he reached another dead end. The paths didn't make any sense either, which made it all the more frustrating. He could have just spent the last few hours chasing random anomalies in the system rather than simply fixing them.

Still, something was nagging at him. Why were all these problems cropping up after the system restart. Everything had been clean...he had checked the database himself. Angrily, he picked up the PADD and started scrolling through the contents. Maybe he'd find some connection between these pathways that would give him an idea of what was causing the anomalies in the system. It wouldn't do them any good to try another system restart if they didn't know what the problem was because it would just show up again.

After a few minutes, Will dropped the PADD onto the table again and rubbed his eyes. He'd been staring at computer screens all day. He was tired, frustrated, and losing his patience. It was not a good combination to be having, especially when the ship was stuck in the expanse.

"Are you alright, sir," a crewman asked, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"What? Oh...yes crewman, I'm fine," he replied, looking up at the young woman who was showing concern for his well being, "Just a little stressed out at the moment. I'll be fine."

"Can I get you something," she asked, "A cup of coffee? Something to eat? Someone to keep you company?"

Will motioned to the seat across from him, saying, "Be my guest. But unless you can help me find the pattern in these pathways, I doubt it'll be very interesting."

"May I have a look, sir," she asked, placing a hand on the PADD. Will nodded and she slid it over to herself, flipping it around so she could take a better look. "This is...interesting," she said, frowning as she read over the information.

"See what I mean," Will said, moving to take the PADD from her. She pulled it out of his reach and continued reading.

"I didn't say I couldn't help," she replied, giving him a look, "I just said it was interesting. Besides, you look like you could use a fresh pair of eyes."

"I suppose you're right," Will said, relaxing a little bit. Maybe she'd be able to give him some insight he hadn't considered before. One could only hope...

OFF
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
Chief Security/Tactical Officer & 2XO
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Peters
Senior Staff

Fri May 01, 2009 2:12 am

ON: <USS Malinche, Engineering Crew Lounge, Day 4, 0145>

Lieutenant, Junior Grade C'Eltor entered the lounge near Main Engineering with PADD in hand. It didn't surprise her to find Lieutenant Peters stretched out on a line of chairs, lightly snoring. The entire Engineering staff had been running on Caffeine, Adrenaline, and sheer determination for the past 24 hours or so, catching catnaps during the rare times when they had a break. Since the duty shifts had been adjusted the day before this crisis started, a good portion of the Malinche's Engineers had been on duty for 32-40 hours, not counting the catnaps.

C'Eltor walked quietly to one side of the lounge and tapped a quick command into the replicator. A thermos mug of coffee materialized quickly. Coffee in hand, C'Eltor moved to Peters' make-shift bed and tapped the Lieutenant on the shoulder. "Wake up, Boss, we've got some more work to do."

"Ungh?" Peters grunted as he woke up. Blinking to clear his vision, Peters sat up and took the coffee C'Eltor was holding out for him. "Thanks. I'd say something clever, but I think my wits are still somewhere in dream land."

"Yours and everyone else's," C'Eltor replied with a smile. It HAD been a long day for all of them. "Trust, me, though, Lieutenant... after 200 years I've heard pretty much everything."

"And you don't look a day over one hundred and ten," Peters quipped before taking a big gulp of coffee. C'Eltor merely rolled her eyes at him.

"That one's older than you are, kiddo." C'Eltor gave Peters a teasing hair tousle before holding up the PADD she'd brought in. "I've got the results of your search."

"Oh?" Peters asked, his coffee momentarily forgotten. He ran his fingers quickly through his hair to restore some order to it, then reached for the PADD. "What'd it find?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?!" Peters exclaimed in shock. "You're telling me there wasn't ONE out-of-the-ordinary computer access in the last several days? Seriously?"

"More likely someone's really good at covering their tracks," C'Eltor responded with a shake of her head. "But we've got nothing to even start with. The good news is, our engines will be up and running by the time the Captain's finished her breakfast later this morning."\

"She'll be happy about that, I suppose," Peters said before taking another drink of coffee. "But I really don't want to tell her I have no idea what's wrong with her ship. That's not exactly the kind of news they pay us for."

C'Eltor smiled, which got Peters to at least stop frowning. She gave Peters an affectionate pat on the shoulder. "Ah, but you still have about 6 hours to figure it out before you have to tell her that, Boss. C'm'on, we'll see what we can come up with that we haven't already tried."

OFF:

Lieutenant, JG C'Eltor (NPC)
Matter/Energy Systems Specialist
As Played By: Lt Peters
Tony
AKA
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Cullen
Senior Staff

Tue May 05, 2009 11:35 pm

ON: <USS Malinche, Sickbay, Day 3, 1300>

The first thing she heard was the alarm.

Nurse Moira Sagawa immediately fell into her training. No thought. No feelings. Just action. She bolted into the main sickbay and moved to biobed three where a young man was lying, his face contorted in pain. A quick glance at the diagnostic readings told her what was needed. She wheeled out a cart and placed a series of diagnostic tools and sensors in a particular order on the top. She was just finishing as Dr. Cullen burst into sickbay. He had been in his office alternately humming and talking to himself as he worked, but now he was silent and serious, all business.

She did not ask what was wrong with the young man. Sagawa knew as much as Timothy what had to be done, and explaining it would only waste precious time.

Without being asked, Sagawa held out a sensor device to Cullen and he took it without comment, though his eyes relayed his thanks. The nurse could see the burning passion there as well. The desperate need to preserve life no matter its form. It was as if death was an affront to the doctor's sensibilities, and the young woman knew that if death wanted this young man's life, he'd have to fight Dr. Timothy Cullen to get him.

After a moment's glance, Cullen nodded and the orderlies got the young man prepped for surgery. No words were exchanged. None were needed. Doctor Cullen was quirky, even at times eccentric, but he was also a brilliant surgeon and a dedicated physician. Moira had seen his passion on many occasions, both in and out of Sickbay. She admired the man and wondered for perhaps the hundreth time how he could do what he did with such energy.

Two hours later...

Sitting at the desk in his quarters, Timothy Cullen stared into the frosted glass of the liquor bottle. The thick glass created warped and distorted images of the objects beyond it, and he amused himself for a moment moving his head to make the distortions shift and dance. He stood shakily and moved to his bed. Today was a good day, he mused with a rough chuckle. He had been able to keep the demons at bay for the most part and only needed a small amount of brandy to keep himself from flying apart. For perhaps the thousandth time he told himself that someday... someday the debt would be repaid. Someday he would be able to close his eyes without seeing the faces of the dead. They watched him in his dreams, never speaking, their eyes accusing. He knew each of their names -- the people he had once called friends.

The people he allowed to die.

OFF:
Lieutenant JG Timothy Cullen
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B