Mission 12: When In Rome

Posts for the USS Malinche's missions

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Peters
Senior Staff

Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:59 pm

ON: <USS Malinche Main Engineering, Day 2, 2100>

"Alright people, listen up," Peters called out to quiet the buzz of conversation that filled Main Engineering. "I know some of you would rather be at your weekly poker game or busy getting drunk in the lounge, but I want you all to know what we're facing for the next few days."

The last whispers died away and Peters called up a star chart on the Master Systems Display unit. The chart zoomed in to show the local sector and the Malinche's relative position, give or take a few Astronomical Units. Two sections of space were highlighted in glowing colors.

"Alright, here we have us. Obviously, this is the Malinche, you've all been aboard for awhile and should know what the ship looks like on the outside. If you don't, you need to get out more. I'll be sure and assign you to hull maintenance if that's the case." Scattered chuckles answered that comment.

Peters pointed first at one of the highlighted areas, then the other. "Alright. Here we have a rather large ion storm. I'll call this 'Rock.' And this is the Taevon Expanse. I know on the ship's sensors it looks really pretty, but it's not very nice to starship hulls. I'll call this 'Hard Place.'"

Looking around at the gathered Engineers, Peters took in and let out a breath to collect his thoughts for a moment before continuing. "Thanks to the way that the Ion storm is traveling, earlier today Rock MET Hard Place.... which put us in a bind. The Captain got to chose which we'd try and travel through to make it to our destination in a timely manner, and she chose Hard Place."

"What does that mean?" One of the younger engineers asked.

"I'm glad you want to know, because I was about to tell you," Peters replied. "For the duration of our trip through the Expanse we're all working 12 hour shifts. I want double Damage repair crews at all times, with Hull, SIF, and IDF systems highest priority for repair and maintenance. Starfleet hasn't yet figured out what it is, but something about this region of space is corrosive to our hull materials and our shields don't stop it, they just slow it down. Anyone not on maintenance duty will be working to analyze sensor readings and hull material samples to see if we can't crack this nut before another ship has to come through this area."

Peters looked around the room again. "Any questions? No? You're all dismissed. The temporary schedule rotation will be posted by midnight."

OFF:
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Barrett
Senior Staff

Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:25 am

<<USS Malinche>>
<Bridge, 2240 hours, Day 2>

Jason disliked the idea of heading through the expanse, although he completely understood why they were doing it. He disliked the idea of heading through an ion storm even more so the expanse was the next logical explaination.

There were talk among crew memebers about the expanse and the mysterious events that took place in it. Jason didn't really believe in all the hype, although Tupalov seemed to think that he did; he made a mental note to talk to Kersare about him. He needed to lighten up some.

Adam (NPC) wasn't all that thrilled about heading through the expanse either and as a regular member of the crew heard more of the gossip then Jason did, advantages of being in the upper levels of command. The doors to the bridge opened and Jason stepped out, taking a look at the space that was known as the expanse.

OFF: Sorry for the absence, personal life got a little messy over the holidays.
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:21 pm

<<USS Malinche, Corridor, 2243, Day 2>>

Following Captain Kersare’s announcement that they had reached the expanse, Nora hastily finished up her last notes and fled her office. Heading into the corridor, she smiled as she was joined by Jacob Trelani (NPC). “Done for the day?” she asked, slowing her pace to match his more leisurely one.

“Officially,” Jacob grinned, holding up the PADD he held in his right hand. “But I have some research I wanted to work on back in my quarters. I tend to think better there for some reason.”

“I completely understand,” Nora assured him. Anticipating his question, she added, “I’m off to the Bridge. Maybe I’ll get a firsthand look at any ghosts we encounter in the expanse.”

“Maybe,” Jacob laughed. “The sooner we’re through this thing, the better.”

“My sentiments exactly.” Unease was practically radiating across the ship, filling Nora’s telepathic senses to the brim. It would be a relief for her once they were through as well, if only to clear her mind from constant barrage of troubled emotions emanating from so many of the ship’s crew.

She had spent little time on the bridge, having had so much to do in her department, and she was curious to see the changes that had been made. Stepping onto the turbolift beside Jacob, she told the computer her destination and waited while he did the same, clasping her hands loosely in front of her.

“You look a little tired, Nora.” Jacob broke the momentary silence, watching her thoughtfully.

Nora laughed softly, shaking her head. “No more than usual,” she assured him.

“I see,” Jacob murmured, obviously unconvinced. “You need a day on the holodeck, or…I don’t know, a game night or something.”

“Is that your professional opinion?” she asked him wryly, arching a brow.

“Call it a friendly suggestion. Maybe once we’re through the expanse, I can show you the joys of backgammon.”

“Backgammon. Fascinating.”

“You wound me,” Jacob laughed. “Spending time with friends is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. You should know that, Chief Counselor Zeral.”

“All right, all right,” Nora threw her hands into the air, accepting defeat. Thanks to her natural perceptions, she knew that Jacob wasn’t looking for any sort of a romantic evening with her. He truly did want to meet simply as friends. “When I get some free time, we can play backgammon,” she promised him.

“Great,” Jacob smiled as the turbolift came smoothly to a stop at his deck. “I’ll hold you to that.”

“I’ll look forward to it,” Nora assured him, waving goodbye as he stepped off.

OFF:
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:27 pm

ON: <<Schulz’s Quarters, USS Malinche, MD02, 2240>>

Will’s eyes snapped open and he sat up so fast he nearly cracked his head on the bulkhead above the bed. Slowly, he pulled his sheets aside and swung his legs over the side of the bed. Face buried in his hands, he wondered what had woken him up this late at night. That’s when he saw the yellow glow from his desktop terminal. It flashed, casting an eerie light on his desk and creating shadows on the far wall.

“Computer, lights,” he ordered, dragging himself out of bed and stumbling, still half asleep, toward the desk. The lights rose to full intensity and Will had to blink his eyes. Squinting, he added, “Too bright, bring them down to 50%.” The computer chirped indignantly and the light level dwindled to a tolerable level.

Now able to see again, Will tapped his terminal and brought up the ship’s status report. He wanted to know what had caused a yellow alert, though he had a pretty good idea.

=/\= Yellow Alert was issued by Captain Isabel Kersare at 2237 ship’s time =/\= the computer explained =/\= The USS Malinche has entered the expanse. =/\=

Will groaned and shut off the screen; all this nonsense for an old legend of ghosts. Rubbing his eyes, Will crossed over to the water basin and filled a glass with water instead of using the replicator. The cool liquid was refreshing in his dry throat. Setting the glass aside, he went back to the bed and sat down on the edge.

“I’ll worry about this in the morning,” he muttered to himself. Laying back down, he threw his covers over himself and rested his head on the pillow. There were no such things as ghosts.

“Computer, lights out.”

OFF
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
Chief Security/Tactical Officer & 2XO
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:27 pm

<<Britney's Quarters, 2355, Day 2>>

After spending most of the evening with Caleb (NPC), Britney (PNPC) had finally returned to her quarters. They'd both been startled by the yellow alert and the message from the Captain and had then called it a night. Caleb had walked her back to her room, where she'd been reading since.

Britney sat up from her somewhat odd position on the bed. It was always so difficult for her to get comfortable while reading - her father had always joked that she was some kind of contortionist. Picking up the bookmark from her nightstand, she marked her place, then put the book where the bookmark had been.

Stretching, she stood and walked over to her dresser. Britney opened the top drawer and pulled out her pajamas.

Thus far, despite all the rumors, nothing odd or bad had happened since they entered the Expanse. Not that she thought it would, but you never knew what could happen - no matter where you were. They wouldn't be able to truly breathe easy until they were out of the Expanse.

Britney smiled to herself as she changed into her pajamas. At least she had the dinners with Caleb to look forward to. Their deal was one of the most enjoyable ones she'd made. Caleb seemed like a good person and certainly enjoyed his job, but also made time for his friends. She'd have to ask if they were planning any game nights or excursions to the holodeck.

Her eyes moved over to her desk, where a small stack of PADDs was sitting. Isabel had asked her earlier in the day to speak with the Intelligence Department about any significant reports about the Expanse and the ships that had been there. Britney had retrieved them in the late afternoon, but hadn't been able to find Isabel.

For now though, it was time for some sleep. She'd go to the bridge first thing in the morning and give the reports to Isabel.

Britney slipped under the bedcovers, "Computer, Lights Off."

"Acknowledged."

Her room went dark as she pulled up the sheets. Closing her eyes, the Direidian drifted off to sleep.

OFF:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Steele
Senior Staff

Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:39 am

Day 2, 18:00hrs
Sickbay

Reyna (NPC) nervously entered sickbay, just being in a medical facility of any kind was bringing up memories she’d rather keep buried. But she figured it would be best to hand deliver her medical file as there would most likely be some questions regarding the contents.

Dr. Thompson (NPC) watched as the young trill entered sickbay; it took her a minute to place the scientist but once she did she quickly dismissed her current patient leaving sickbay empty with the exception of the Doctor and Reyna.

“What brings you to sickbay at this time of day?” asked Thompson putting on what she hoped was a reassuring smile.

“Ensign Reyna Ward, I came to drop off my medical file.”

“Dr. Lisa Thompson, nice to meet you Reyna. You do know your last posting could just send over a copy, you don’t have to have hand delivered it.” She knew the reason but wanted to see what reply the Ensign would give.

“Well um… um my last posting was the Osprey and we ran into a unique experience in the Gamma Quadrant involving a rare form of radiation sickness and…”

Reyna was cut off by the Doctor.
“Funny, you claim to have contracted radiation sickness and that is what your record states but would mind explaining why you were treated for a bio agent?”

Reyna’s face was one of shock.
“How, how did you know? Admiral Parmale promised me it would be kept secret!”

Now that Thompson had her answer, it was no longer necessary to play dumb.
“My apologies Ensign, I should have clarified this when I introduced myself. We have already met but you were too sick to remember it. My specialty is in infectious diseases, so when Starbase Phoenix reported the Hippocrates had multiple cases of suspected bio-warfare I was brought in to assist with assessment and treatment. Although I wasn’t aware they were covering it up as radiation sickness.”

Reyna relaxed a little at the doctor’s statement.
“Yeah, they said it would be better that way. Fewer questions are to be asked of radiation sickness than a bio agent.”

“You’re probably right, but don’t worry your secret is safe with me. If someone finds out and give you trouble over it let me know and I’ll see what I can do. Now if there’s anything else, I shall let you be on your way. Hopefully I don’t see you too often in a professional capacity.”

“Thanks Doc. I’ll see you around.”

Off
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Barrett
Senior Staff

Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:13 pm

<<USS Malinche>>
<Barrett's Quarters, 2145, Day 2>

"Are you sure you have to go?" Adam (NPC) asked.

Jason turned to look at Adam who was still sitting up in bed; shirtless and looking rather dejected. He knew that they had both been working long hours lately and there was nothing more that he wanted to do then jump into bed with him and curl and go to sleep. But that wasn't going to happen.

Although they had already been in the expanse several hours and although nothing had happened yet, Jason had a sinking feeling that it wouldn't stay that way for long.

"You're the one telling me that the expanse is giving you the creeps, wouldn't you feel better if it were me in charge up there and not someone else?"

"Why did we go this way again?" Adam asked, watching as Jason started getting dressed.

"Because it was the quickest way; aside from flying right through an ion storm."

"Whats wrong with that?"

"Aside from ripping the ship apart and filling your sickbay with casualities, nothing."

"Oh," Adam responded. "Just do try and not get us embroiled in any ghost problems, ok?"

"Adam, you do know that ghosts don't exsist,right?"

"Says you."

Jason leaned forward and gave him a quick kiss on the forehead.

"I'll be back later, don't wait up."

OFF:
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:30 pm

ON: <<Main Engineering, USS Malinche, MD02, 2300>>

Joey (NPC) paused a moment and leaned back in his chair, taking a break from staring at the screen hours on end. Lt. Schulz had asked him to review systems diagnostics and to keep an eye out for any anomalies once they entered the expanse. For most of the night, he had been pouring over previous diagnostics, trying to establish an accurate baseline for his tests.

"Here's the schematics you asked for, sir," a crewman said, drawing Joey's attention.

"Thank you," Joey said, accepting the PADD with the best smile he could muster. There was no doubt about it...he was tired. But he had a job to do and he wanted to make sure he had something to report in the morning.

"Anything else, sir," the crewman asked.

"No, I think that will be all," Joey said, "You are dismissed." The crewman immediately turned about and headed back down to the lower level. Meanwhile, Joey rubbed his eyes and focused on the information on the PADD. Most of it was standard information, but there was one thing in particular that jumped out at him.

"Computer, display systems diagnostic for the port nacelle," Joey said, glancing between the PADD and the screen before him. The data that began to scroll across the screen matched in almost every way except for an odd spike in the delta bandwidth.

On its own, the spike didn't really mean anything. Given the fact that the engineering staff had been working overtime to make sure everything was ship-shape, it was even more likely that it was simply a sign of some maintenance. Still, it was worth cataloging for Lt. Schulz. Joey decided to keep an eye on it, just in case it became something else.

OFF

Lt. JG Joey Summers (NPC)
Operations Officer
USS Malinche
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:01 pm

<<USS Malinche>>
<Bridge, 0145, Day 3>

The expanse was vast, a lot bigger then Jason remembered it being. He had been through there a few times before and generally was very happy when it was nothing but a memory. Looking around the bridge, he could see the other senior officers hard at work. An uneasy feeling had began to creep up on Jason the moment that they entered the expanse.

Something on the edge of his display screen caught his eye; tapping an icon he enhanced the image. What he saw was not something that made him feel any easier.

"Asteroids," Jason muttered. He stood up and straightened his shirt, heading toward the operations and helm stations. "Can you plot us a course around that Mr. Tupalov?"

Marco cursed under his breath as he used the navigational sensors to get an idea of the buildup. "Negative sir" he replied, his face in deep concentration as he tried to find another way other than through it. "The outer edge of the asteroid field is..." Marco swore in Russian, "Sir! We're already one hundred kilometers inside the field!"

The asteroids were moving too quickly for the nav sensors to chart a stable course, the best they could do was give a relatively safe bearing for him to follow. "Navigational sensors are useless in this, switching to manual control!" Marco informed his superior as he did so, banking softly to port to avoid a big one coming down on top of them.

Aaron had been scanning the sensor readouts ever since the Malinche neared the expanse looking for anything out of the ordinary. If ship's truly disappeared in the sector, he was determined to figure out why or die trying. What puzzled him was the evidence, or lack there of.

"It's strange." He said to no-one in particular and at the same time every one on the bridge. "For an area of space that is supposed to have swallowed up ships, I find no debris, log buoys, nothing that suggests destruction of even one starship."

As the Malinche entered the asteroid field Aaron switched his attention to the asteroids, it was possible that something in the field would provide him with the wanted answers. What he found wasn't pleasing. "I believe I know why the field poses such a navigational hazard; at its densest I estimate a Schiller Rating of 57 with an average rating of 39. I am also reading concentrations of polaric radiation. It is possible that ships wandered into the belt in the earlier days of travel and collided with one too many asteroids. That would account for the reputation. But what I'm more interested in right now is the source of this particular form of radiation."

Melanie (NPC) quirked an eyebrow. At the moment she was more interested in the Malinche not getting hit by any of the asteroids. Of course, the radiation's effect on the ship would likely come into play, but it wouldn't matter if the ship was in pieces. She looked over at Marco.

Tupalov pondered the feeling of gripping tightly to splintering, blistering wooden handles on an old ship’s wheel trying maniacally to pull you in any direction other than where you wanted to go. He surmised it wasn't too dissimilar from his own current situation, as his bottom teeth ground his top, and beads of sweat began to run down into his dampening duty tunic.

"I'm more interested in not landing on a rock," Marco replied to the radiation fan. "Go science!" Marco muttered sarcastically; they could worry their little heads about where this or that was coming from whilst he would just make sure they didn't end up splatted on an asteroid. He continued to battle with the helm, trying to balance speed and direction, if he went too fast he'd miss something coming in and they'd hit, if he went too slow then he'd be in the way of something. "They're moving too fast!" Marco reported. They were coming up for the far edge, but the density was increasing.

Though she had her own theories, D'iri (NPC) wondered what the Science Chief had in mind, "What do you think the source is, sir?"

"Source? Of the radiation, I'm not sure but polaric radiation is not something that occurs naturally. We can't have been the only ship to have navigated this asteroid field. When things calm down I'll see if I can dig up info on past ships, see if they report the same radiation."

"Lieutenant Barrett?" The El-Aurian turned to Aaron, "The sensors seem to be acting up…or at least my console…" D'iri frowned at the console before her. It had flashed several times in the moments since her question, and now seemed to be displaying random data.

Checking her own console, Melanie was relieved to find they were nearly out of this particular asteroid field. Of course, there may well be more in the Expanse, but this one at least seemed to be ending.

Typically, this was how things started before they got out of control, at least that’s what was going through Jason's mind as he approached D'iri and her station. One look at the display confirmed what she said. He frowned, leaning over her and taping a few keys before looking at the display again.

"Looks like a random dump from the memory core," Jason stated, trying to clear the errors that were popping up all over the display. "But this doesn't make any sense; it should be cycling through everything...it's almost too random to be random."

"Sir?" D'iri asked.

"Nevermind," Jason stated, shaking his head. He looked over to Joey Summers (NPC). "Joey, can you run a quick sweep through the computer core, see what you come up with. Lt. Barrett to Lt. Schulz."

D'iri couldn't find a pattern to what was coming up on her console, but when she turned back to her console she was surprised. "Lieutenant? The console seems fine now... Whatever was going on seems to have stopped."

Aaron nodded. "Agreed although one has to wonder if it's all connected. I'll drop a sensor probe and see if I can't gather more information on the peculiarities of this region."

"And we're finally out of that asteroid field," Melanie said quietly, looking over at Tupalov. "I'm not reading any more substantial asteroids, sir. Are you seeing anything?"

Marco suddenly realised just how much breath he had been holding as he exhaled deeply and relaxed a little. He checked his nav sensors, which were now more or less ok. He looked slightly to Melanie and then back to the view screen, his head suddenly snapped back to her when he realised that 'sir' was addressed to him...something he'd have to get used to. "Uh..no, negative. Nothing on navigational sensors"

Marco turned around to look at the command area and Barrett; "Let's not, please, do that again sir."

OFF: Tag crew!

JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant Jason Barrett
Acting Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

and

Lieutenant JG Aaron Steele
Acting Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

and

Warrant Officer First Class Marco Tupalov
Chief Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

and

Various NPCs played by:
Last edited by Kersare on Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:59 pm

<<USS Malinche, Bridge, 2355, Day 2>>

Nora was having a moral dilemma. Arriving on the bridge, she softly greeted some of the crewmembers around her, each of them hard at work. Here again the Betazoid’s telepathic senses were very much alive, responding to the flurry of tense emotion and ever-present unease as the ship fast approached the expanse.

She had every intention of taking her seat when she first noticed the source of her dilemma, namely Captain Kersare as she made her way to the turbolift. With counseling being as busy as it had been, it had been some time since Nora had had the chance to visit with her. And beyond that, Nora quickly surmised that Kersare appeared weary and upset, though she hid it well. Making her decision, Nora altered her course and hurried toward the turbolift, stepping in beside Kersare. “Mind if I join you, Captain?” she asked with a guilty smile.

Isabel looked over at Nora, “Not at all. Deck 3 alright?” After the day she’d had, she felt it was about time to return to her quarters and attempt to sleep. Not that she’d be able to, but at least she could lay down.

“Deck 3 is fine,” Nora agreed, leaning back against the wall. “This has been some day, hasn’t it? Everyone, and I mean everyone loves a good ghost story.”

“For the most part, yes. We may have our own to tell once we get out of here if some of the rumors are true,” Isabel answered.

“I don’t know if that terrifies or excites me, to tell the truth,” Nora admitted. “Ghost stories aside, how have the last few days been treating you? It’s been some time since I’ve talked with you, and I hope I’m not out of line when I say I’ve been a little worried about you.”

Isabel frowned slightly in thought of the recent occurrences, “I suppose that all things considered, things have been going alright. Some people have brought up concerns regarding my decision to bring Derek aboard… I don’t know…he seems to be making some progress, but then he regresses back.” In truth it was one of the most difficult things to watch. Constant progress or constant regression would be easier to take – but having to see Derek go through both was terrible.

Nora frowned as well, surprised to hear that anyone would have a problem with the Captain keeping him aboard the Malinche. “Progress is progress,” she tried to reason, searching for any sort of a silver lining. “That’s not a very inspiring statement, is it?” Nora laughed a moment later, rubbing her eyes tiredly as she shook her head.

“I’m afraid not, at least not after he slipped back into his Borg identity. He seemed to recognize me and could draw the conclusion that it was me in one of the photos, but when I tried to point out the other person was him,” Isabel shrugged. The turbolift doors opened and she turned left, toward her quarters.

“But he recognized you? Fascinating.” Nora followed her without a second thought, her mind working through the Captain’s last statement. “I would think that’s definite progress. Now that he’s out of Sickbay, where has he been moved to? I’m going to find time to see him tomorrow, though hell should bar the way.””

“He’s in some guest quarters, with a forcefield and continuous monitoring,” she replied. Isabel wondered if Derek was alright by himself. He was used to the Collective; now here he was all alone in strange quarters. “At some point I may take him to the holodeck. Lieutenant Quaid was going to have some modifications done so that a forcefield and monitoring could be in place there as well. Not to mention a Security escort on the way.

“Ah, an entourage,” Nora smiled. “I’ve yet to meet Lieutenant Quaid, but he seems to have everything…under control.” Truthfully, Nora wasn’t exactly a security-minded person, but she approved that Derek had been moved to guest quarters rather than to the brig. “I’d imagine you’d like as much alone time with him as you can get.” At least as much alone time that could be had with constant monitoring, she thought wryly, but let that particular thought go unsaid. “But if you ever feel that you need a, well, a friend to go along with you, I’d be happy to help.”

Isabel nodded, “Part of me wants to spend as much time as I can with him, the other part is too hurt when he regresses… I’ll have to find a balance, I suppose. I appreciate your offer – I may take you up on that.”

Nora wished she had some truly counselor-worthy advice to give, but after such a long day, she was simply too tired at this point. “Normally, as Chief Counselor I’d try to say something awe-inspiring at this point,” she joked, admitting her predicament. “Instead, as your friend, Isabel, I’ll give you what friendly advice I have to offer. And forgive me, since I’m sure it’s what everyone else has already been telling you this, but you’re doing a brilliant job with facing this. Really, you are. And I believe that Derek is going to make progress, and you will start to see the fruits of your labors. You simply have to hang in there.”

She smiled crookedly as she finished, aware that her simple advice was the best she could offer for the moment. “Like I said, I’m going to visit him tomorrow. I’ll let you know how things go.”

“I appreciate that,” Isabel replied. “I’m going to try to rest. Thank you, Nora.”

“That’s a wonderful plan, and you’re welcome. I’ll get back to the Bridge to keep an eye on any possible encounters with the paranormal,” Nora grinned. “Sleep well, Captain.”

Returning the smile, Isabel nodded. “We’ll see how it goes. Good luck with the paranormal.” Though she usually had trouble talking to people and opening up, it was nice to have someone to talk to – even if it was with the person whose job it was to do so. Still, it was difficult to get close to people; Nora was the closest she’d come in the past few years.

OFF:

A JP brought to you by:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Peters
Senior Staff

Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:00 pm

ON: <USS Malinche, Chief Engineer's Office, 0001 hours, Day 3>

Peters jerked upright in his chair as the alarm klaxon in his dreams morphed into the alarm emanating from his desk-top console. Rubbing his eyes and willing the fuzziness of sleep away, not entirely successfully, Peters tried to figure out why his console was beeping at him. Finally he figured it out. He'd set the non-verbal alarm for midnight so that he'd know ti was time to post the duty rotations for the next few days.

The duty rotation list that he hadn't quite finished yet.

The duty rotation list that he'd fallen asleep while preparing.

Not good, not good at all.

Sighing, Peters typed a quick note that the schedule would be delayed by a few minutes and got to work. He didn't have too much farther to go... just a bit of juggling of the swing shift to get the best overall coverage for all systems. It was a bit of a balancing act. Peters wanted double coverage, but he also didn't want to overwork anyone. The last thing he needed was engineers addled by lack of sleep.

<0015>

It only took about 10 minutes to finish up the altered duty roster. Peters read it through one last time to make sure it made sense before posting it for his staff to see. Well, if there were issues, he was sure he'd hear about them quickly. For now, he obviously needed sleep.

As he stood, Peters stretched and tried to shake the strange images that he'd seen in his dream. He didn't need nightmares right now.

OFF:
Tony
AKA
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Peters
Senior Staff

Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:10 pm

ON: <Main Engineering, USS Malinche, Day 3, 0230>

Greg Altin was bored. Normally the young cadet would have been off duty two and a half hours ago, but thanks to the revised duty schedule in effect for the next few days, he was on duty for another four hours or so tonight. And since so far none of Lieutenant Peters' nebulous fears had manifested themselves, that meant that he was extremely, excruciatingly, mind-numbingly bored.

With a sigh, Altin reached out to confirm for the umpteenth time that the readings on the warp core hadn't changed. He was just tapping in the command to pull up the diagnostic when his console went blank. "Now that's weird..."

Looking around, Altin confirmed that none of the other consoles were out. And then, as he looked back to his console, it suddenly blinked back to life, displaying the diagnostic that he'd asked for right before it blinked off. Except... The numbers the report showed were all way off of what they should have been. If the numbers being shown were right, the Warp Core was about to implode on itself.

Altin was about to call WO Caleb Corrin over to look at the readings when his panel blinked out again. After another few seconds, the console came back on, this time the diagnostic indicators showing the normal readings that Altin had been seeing all night. Trying to decide whether to alert one of the officers, Altin had his mind made up for him. All at once the panels all around Main Engineering started blinking on and off like crazy.

Virtually all of the engineers present were absolutely confounded about what could be causing the malfunctions they were seeing. And then the lights went out.

The only decent source of light was the warp core, which was humming along as it always did.

"OK, now I know it's not just a bad circuit breaker in my panel," Altin muttered.

OFF:

Cadet Greg Altin (NPC)
Structural/Environmental Systems Specialist
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B
As Played By:
Last edited by Peters on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
AKA
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:48 pm

[12.2: A Bump In The Night]

<<Sickbay, 0244, Day 3>>

Zack (NPC) yawned and placed the PADD he'd been looking over on the nearby table. He'd been switched to night shift after they left Starbase 386 and still wasn't used to it. True, it was always dark outside while in space, but after years of working during the standard 'daytime' hours, it was a difficult transition.

Luckily Sickbay wasn't too busy. Most had been able to keep from injuring themselves since they departed. Right now three patients were resting in the darkened room.

One had ever-so-intelligently disabled safety protocals in the holodeck before going rock climbing - of all things. He'd fallen and had a mild concussion, so he'd been admitted to Sickbay for observation overnight. A second was an Engineer who hadn't made sure power was turned off in the section she was working in. She'd gotten quite a jolt and some burns. The last seemed to be showing signs of a mental disease and had tried to hurt himself.

Zack was about to get up and do his routine check on the patients when he saw Kareg (NPC) move over to the first one, nodding to him. Returning the nod, Zack leaned back in his chair. Apparently the medical officer was at least as bored as he was.

Finished with his patient check, Kareg headed over towards Zack.

That's when it happened.

A chorus of alarms sounded one right after the other and the lights flicked on, apparently by themselves. The patients no longer had pulses.

"What's going on?" Zack stood quickly, looking over at Kareg. "They were fine just a moment ago, weren't they?"

"Everything was normal!" Kareg exclaimed as he rushed over to the first patient.

Zack hurried right behind the Yridian and moved to the second patient. His hand was shaking slightly as he reached two fingers towards the woman's neck to take her pulse. Anxiously he waited to feel the rush of blood that would indicate a pulse, his mind racing. "Patient two has a pulse!"

The lights turned off again, taking Sickbay to an inky blackness.

"How is that happening?" Kareg asked, frustrated. "Patient one has a pulse as well. Can you check the third patient?"

Zack waited for his eyes to adjust to the darkness, trying to make out the outline of the last patient on the nearby biobed. "Yes, I see him now."

The lights flashed back on and Zack took the opportunity to hurry the rest of the way over to the patient. He'd just positioned his fingers when the lights flashed off again. "This one's alright."

"Let's do some medical scans and check the sensors - something has to be wrong for those alarms to be coming in," Kareg said.

As the lights came back on, Zack handed Kareg a medical scanner. Kareg tapped his finger on the main screen, but nothing happened. He repeated the action with the same result. "There's something wrong with the scanner as well."

The lights and all the equipment suddenly turned off.

"Great," Zack said. So much for a boring night.

OFF:

Various NPCs played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:22 am

ON: <<Schulz’s Quarters, USS Malinche, MD03, 0242>>

For the second time that night, Will was awoken by something. He opened his eyes on complete blackness. For a moment, he was disoriented, but that soon passed. He fumbled on the bedside tabletop for the lighting control. When his fingers found the control surface, he activated it, but nothing happened. Pressing it again, he waited for the lights to come up. Again, nothing happened.

Throwing his covers back, he stumbled through the dark toward his closet. In the dark, it was near impossible to see anything. Finally, his hands found the lightweight camping lantern he had been looking for. He switched it on and looked around at the circle of light that it spread across the room. Setting the lantern on his desk, he quickly changed into his uniform.

It was likely a localized power fluctuation, but he was going to have to check on it anyway. Besides, he was already awake. Once he was ready, he moved the lantern to the small stand right next to the doors. Thankfully, these worked. As they hissed open, Will noticed that the lights in the corridor were still working.

Reaching back, he deactivated the lantern and allowed the doors to hiss closed. Then he set off down the corridor toward the nearest lift access point. His plan was to head to engineering and find out what was going on. If it turned out to be a bigger problem, then engineering was going to need all the help they could get. If it turned out to be nothing but a localized disturbance, Lt. Peters was going to owe him.

OFF
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Steele
Senior Staff

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:44 pm

On:
Science Lab 1
02:45

As the ship traversed the expanse, Reyna kept an eye on the data coming in from the ship’s sensors. Not all of the information made sense to her, but what she did understand allowed her to formulate some interesting theories as to what really went on. Wanting to compare her theories with past reports/ myths of the expanse, Reyna left for science lab 2 which was better equipped for her preferred style of research.

As she made her way down the corridor the deck was plunged into darkness as main power apparently failed, at least for that deck. Instinctively Reyna came to a stop waiting for the emergency power to come on or someone to arrive with a wrist beacon. It took longer than expected, but the emergency power finally kicked in giving a soft illumination over the deck. Soon after a young enlisted gal in a yellow uniform came running down the corridor coming to a halt in front of Reyna.

“Any idea what’s going on?”

“Sorry no, I’m just as much in the dark as you are.”… “No pun intended.” Reyna added after a short pause.

“Great just great, my first assignment and we’re being attacked while travelling through an area of space ships don’t return from…” After letting the girl ramble on for a few minutes, Reyna held up a hand.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, calm down crewman you don’t know we’re being attacked. There not enough evidence either way to formulate a valid theory on what’s going on. Now I suggest you find your way to your duty station, that’s where you’re most likely to find out what’s happening.”

The scientist’s words seemed to have the desired affect, as the still unknown non-com headed towards the turbolift at a rapid but calmer pace than before. Surprised at her own ‘counseling’ skills, Reyna continued on her way to the lab. As she reached the door, main power kicked back on leaving her to wonder if it was the expanse or an unannounced engineering project.

Off:

Ensign Reyna Ward (NPC)
A&A Officer- Sci. Division
USS Malinche- NCC 38897-B
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A