Mission 12: When In Rome

Posts for the USS Malinche's missions

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Re: Mission 12: When In Rome

Wed May 06, 2009 10:28 pm

OFF: Moving things ahead some...feel free to backpost as needed, just mark the post as "Backpost" in an OFF section like this.

ON:
<<Kersare's Quarters, 0630, Day 4>>

Isabel blinked her eyes slowly, disturbed from her much needed sleep. It took a few moments for her to shake the sleepiness from her mind; even then, she still felt mentally and physically exhausted.

Sitting up, she wondered what had woken her. Then she heard it...

"Bridge to Kersare."

Sighing, Isabel tapped her commbadge, "Go ahead Bridge."

"Ma'am, sorry to disturb you, but the engines are ready. We can go whenever you'd like," the male voice further explained.

At least it was good news for a change...."Acknowledged, I'll be there shortly. Kersare out."

Truthfully she could have used more sleep. A lot more sleep. But no time for that, at least not yet. Maybe if she went and got the ship heading in the right direction, then stayed for an hour or two to make sure everything was alright, she could get a little more sleep in her Ready Room...

Slightly encouraged with that thought, Isabel slid out of bed, her fingers lingering longingly on the sheets. She'd fallen asleep in a fresh uniform, so she did her best to smooth out wrinkles before heading for the door. Normally she would have been sure to get out a fresh uniform regardless - a wrinkled uniform wasn't fitting for a Captain in her opinion - but she was too tired to care.

Isabel neared the door, then walked through as it slid open. Time to get going.

<Bridge, 7 minutes later>

The turbolift doors opened and Isabel stepped onto the Bridge. Her eyes quickly surveyed the scene - most of the Senior Officers weren't on the bridge, save for Aaron and Jason. Some of the others would likely arrive in the next hour or two.

She noticed Britney off to the side and walked over to her, "So the engines are ready?"

"Yes, I hope you don't mind being woken, but I thought you'd want to know right away," the Direidian replied.

Isabel nodded, "Absolutely. We need to get to Ivor Prime." She continued to the center chair and smiled at Jason as he moved to the Executive Officer's chair.

She tapped at the controls alongside her chair to see the current status information. Everything looked good, "Helm, plot a course to Ivor Prime, Warp 3."

"Aye Captain," Joe (NPC) replied, his fingers moving quickly over the console. "Course laid in."

"Engage," Isabel commanded. Her body tensed up and she closed her eyes briefly while she waited for the ever so slight rumble signalling that the engines had started and accelerated to warp speed. As she felt the familiar vibration, she exhaled - barely realizing she'd been holding her breath. "Mr. Carson?"

"Holding steady at Warp 3, ma'am."

"How are our sensors?" Isabel turned to Lara (NPC) who was at the Ops 1 console.

Lara tapped at her console, running a quick diagnostic before looking back at the Captain, "I'm not seeing full range from the sensors...but that could be a glitch. Navigation sensors seem alright."

Isabel nodded, "Try to find out what's going on with the sensors."

<1 hour later>

The first hour had passed without incident, other than the slight issue with the sensors, which Operations and Science were looking into. A few more of the Senior Officers had trickled onto the bridge in the meantime. Since things were running smoothly thus far, Isabel hoped to get a little more rest. She stood and headed for her Ready Room door, pausing just outside to turn back and address her Executive Officer....

Before she said anything though, she felt a slight tug....and something didn't feel right with the engines. Her eyes locked with Jason's before she hurried back, "Report! What was that?"

OFF: Tag Ops/Science/Everyone.... More to come later (Steele - check your PM)
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Thu May 07, 2009 3:31 pm

ON: <<Main Bridge, USS Malinche, MD04, 0645>>

Will emerged from the turbolift onto the bridge. He could feel that they were at warp again, which meant that Peters and his teams had gotten the warp drive up and running again. Nodding to the captain as he passed her chair, he approached the forward ops console.

"There seems to be a glitch in the sensors again, sir," Lara (NPC) reported as she vacated the seat, "I started a level four diagnostic. Navigational sensors seem unaffected."

"I'll look into it," Will said with a smile. He slid into the chair and turned to face the console as Lara headed up to the lift. After a few modifications to the console layout, he checked the status of the diagnostic. There didn't seem to be anything too out of the ordinary yet and Will wasn't about to go hunting down ghost trails again. He'd had enough of the mouse in the maze and had decided to call it quits.

Having spent most of the previous day trying to track down the trail and finding nothing, he figured that it was simply a series of coincidences. That was it and that was how he was going to leave it. Besides, there were more important things for him to be working on, like getting the main sensor array up and running again. With a faint sigh, he waited for the diagnostic to finish.

<<Half-hour Later>>

The diagnostic hadn't turned up anything revealing, but it had been a low level diagnostic. For a more thorough review of the systems, Will would have to run a level one diagnostic, which would take time and resources that they didn't have to spare at the moment.

For the moment, he ruled out the possibility of hardware or software failure. His first thought went back to the idea that it could just be some natural phenomena. Moments later, he had accessed the internal sensors and begun running a scan of the sensor arrays. The scan results turned up negative. Either the internal sensors were being affected too, or a natural cause wasn't responsible.

There was the possibility of tampering or sabotage, but he had pretty much ruled that out with all his useless tracking the day before...or at least, he thought he had. Still, he wasn't quite ready to boil that pot of water again so soon.

His thoughts were interrupted by an almost imperceptible tug of the inertial dampeners. Frowning, Will checked his boards again. He had the feeling that they were about to have another unscheduled surprise. Will was starting to hate surprises.

OFF
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
Chief Security/Tactical Officer & 2XO
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sun May 10, 2009 9:30 am

<Bridges, 0700, MD04>

Yana had been in Jacks office when he felt the lurch of the ship going to warp, it was almost imperceptible but it was there and it stirred him from his sleep with a jolt, once he realised what was happening he allowed himself a small smile.

He had fallen asleep in Jacks temporary office, given his current status it had been a long time since Yana had slept one way of the other and it was made weirder sleeping in someone else’s head. It hadn’t been a restful sleep, he was anxious about what would happen the next day, their plan was audacious and risky and he had to imagine that Eldon and Alex would be equally nervous wherever they were.

Factor in some rather weird dreams, that he had to assume where the fault of Jacks subconscious, too and he wasn’t feeling too alert when he walked off the turbolift and on to the bridge.

Some of the crew turned as he entered, the captain included, and he nodded a greeting before walking to Jacks station, the exhaustion he was feeling was made worse when he realised there was no seat at the tactical station... “Great...” he complained under his breath.

<30 minutes later>

Yana just tried to look busy behind the tactical station; he was hoping no one looked too closely at him, he felt that if he wasn’t careful his eyes would give his nerves away.

He had just finished arranging a drill for the security teams when he felt it, another small lurch... He knew in that instant that they had reached the point of no return; there was no looking back now...
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Grayson
Senior Staff

Fri May 15, 2009 11:23 am

<< USS Malinche, Corridor, deck 10, 0800, day 4 >>

In the next morning after that 'incident' in the Jeffreis Tube, as he was calling, he had decided to scan every inch of that deck. He was starting to formulate a hypothesis about all those appearances. At least, it was better than believe in ghosts.

There were several creatures and entities that could manipulate someone's mind to achieve whatever objective they had. And some of them, if Grayson wasn't mistaken, feed of fear from its victims

Mark focused himself in the tricorder. No energy signs of any kind, no biosigns of any kind either. He scratched his head. What if the creature was parasitic? It would attach another life form and stay there feeding on and even controlling it until...?

Mark shook his head. He was just guesing. The only way to find out such thing it would be put himself under a medical examination to see if anything at all affected him during that 'incident'.

He tapped his badge. "Grayson to Hawkins. Found anything?"

The light in the deck went out, leaving Mark completely in the dark. "Hawkins? Hawkins?", he asked. No response. "Oh, damn it. Not again", he said pulling his phaser and turning the flashlight on his wrist on.

"Whoever you are, I'm not falling for your scare tactics anymore", he said out loud. "Just face me and tell what the hell you want".

A sound of a baby crying in distance came from behind Mark. He turned around, alarmed. The corridor was gone and he was, once again, back in Cardassia. He looked around and identified the location. "Oh, God. No", he
whispered hoarsely.

The spook ran like the wind towards the center of small square. People walked around, trading, walking and some even smiling. Civilians cardassians just living.

"Listen to me", urged Mark. "You have to go! Hide! You are all in danger! The army will arrive and kill all of you for collaborating with the resistance!"

No one seemed to notice Mark. It was like he wasn't there at all. Seconds later a transporter full of soldiers appeared and all of the sudden the air was filled with disruptor fire.

Mark closed his eyes. It was like he remembered. Back then, he hadn't be able to do anything. All those people dead because he had to mantain his cover. For the mission. For the Federation.

The spook held himself stiff, not opening his eyes to the carnage happening all around him.

"So, how do you feel now?", came a familiar voice.

Mark opened his eyes and watched Enabren (NPC), all broken and bloody, looking back to him. "How do you feel, now?", he repeated. "Your life for so many others? Do you feel it was fair?"

"You know", said Mark after a moment. "You are starting to annoy me."

"Oh, I know I'm doing more than this. I can see in your mind."

"So, what do you want?", barked Mark.

"Your suffering for all you sins. Maybe. I'm not sure.", replied Enabren.

In a blink of an eye, Mark was back to the Malinche, in the same corridor as he was before.

Mark leaned back on the bulkhead and supressed a shiver. Reliving that scene was like opening a cut in his heart. He was starting to get tired of that thing or whatever was happening.

"Grayson to Peters".

< tag Peters >

"What about a ghost hunt?", he asked dryly.

OFF: Tag everyone, Tag Peters. Look me over for a JP.
Lieutenant Mark Grayson II
Chief Intelligence Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

"O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible and hence we can hold the enemy's fate in our hands." - Sun Tzu

Steele
Senior Staff

Fri May 15, 2009 8:17 pm

On:
Day 4/06:37
USS Malinche- Bridge

Truth be told, he probably wasn't needed on the bridge at the moment. Science had done their part to get the ship back on course and now it was up to engineering. However, it gave him something to do while they were at a virtual standstill. As the ship accelerated Aaron checked his sensors hoping to get an idea of what lay ahead. However long range sensors were still offline which meant something was still wrong and it was time for him to get back to work.

<07:40 hrs>

Aaron felt the shudder at the same time as the rest of the crew.
"Report! What was that?"

Turning his attention back to the sensors, what they had, Aaron attempted to answer the Captain's question. Once he had his answer, Aaron swore under his breath in Cardassian. It was something he rarely did, but this time he was willing to make an exception.

"Ah Captain, I may have an answer but it's not something you're going to like."

The glare he received back said it all.
"Sorry Cap'n. It appears we have encountered the leading edge of a subspace rupture."

(tag CO)

"Think of it as a giant whirlpool only in space, it's effects are similar to a black hole in that matter tends to get sucked into it. This isn't something that is encountered very often; give me a minute to see if I can find any solutions."

As the anomaly wasn't something most ships had encountered there was little information on it, and most of what was available was speculative.

"In the 22nd century the Vulcans encountered one in the Hanoli system."

One of the other officers on the bridge spoke up.
"Hanoli system? I'm not familiar with it."

"That's because the Vulcans launched and detonated a pulse wave torpedo which took care of the problem but also destroyed the entire system."

(Tag anyone)

"We've come a long way with weapons since then. Modern torpedoes allow for greater control of the flux density reducing the damage to surrounding space."

Off:
Tag:
CO/ Bridge crew
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Mon May 18, 2009 10:52 pm

<<USS Malinche, Bridge, 0748, Day 4>>

Isabel's eyes locked with Jason's before she hurried back, "Report! What was that?"

"Ah Captain, I may have an answer but it's not something you're going to like. Sorry Cap'n. It appears we have encountered the leading edge of a subspace rupture."

Turning to her Chief Science Officer, Isabel raised an eyebrow, "A subspace rupture?"

"Think of it as a giant whirlpool only in space, it's effects are similar to a black hole in that matter tends to get sucked into it. This isn't something that is encountered very often; give me a minute to see if I can find any solutions. In the 22nd century the Vulcans encountered one in the Hanoli system."

One of the other officers on the bridge spoke up. "Hanoli system? I'm not familiar with it."

"That's because the Vulcans launched and detonated a pulse wave torpedo which took care of the problem but also destroyed the entire system."

"I'd prefer to avoid that," Isabel replied. "Red Alert!" The lighting on the bridge suddenly changed to an eerie red glow as the alarm klaxons sounded off. "Computer, silence Red Alert."

"We've come a long way with weapons since then. Modern torpedoes allow for greater control of the flux density reducing the damage to surrounding space."

Isabel's fingers gripped the arms of her chair tighter as she tried to think quickly. This was one of the last things they needed at this point - they'd already been dealing with so much. "Viewscreen on."

What appeared before her might have been a pretty sight...if they didn't seem to be getting closer to it at an uncomfortablely quick pace. "Ensign Carson (NPC), drop us out of warp, impulse only."

"Aye, aye, Captain," Joe replied, tapping then sliding his index finger across his console.

The Prometheus class ship slowed, Isabel could feel it. After nearly four years on the Malinche and her training as an Engineer, she could still claim to be in tune to the ship - or at least her engines. Her eyes stayed on the viewscreen as she watched them moving ever so slowly towards the rupture. At least dropping out of warp had slowed their being pulled in...

She turned to Aaron, "Is there anything else we can do to slow us from being pulled in? Is it mainly attracted to our warp engines, or the energy readings we give off, or simply our mass?" If it was their mass, nothing else she could do would truly help. Other than perhaps going to MVAM...perhaps as three sections they would last longer. "What about going to MVAM?"

<tag Steele>

Isabel nodded, "How long until we get sucked in?"

<tag Steele>

"Alright, I want you, Mr. Schulz, Mr. Peters, and Mr. Hawkins working on this. Split into teams if it'll help, but I want a report as soon as you come up with something. I want to get us out of its reach, but minimize any damage to the area," she ordered.

OFF: Tag Steele, Schulz, Peters, Hawkins (and anyone/everyone else for reactions)
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Mon May 18, 2009 11:29 pm

<<Engineering, 0744, Day 4>>

If nothing else, Alex (NPC) certainly appreciated the bed he'd finally been able to sleep in. Of course, that hadn't lasted long, but still. It had been a long time since he'd been able to feel a soft mattress and sheets and he had to admit that he missed it.

Now though, it was time to get back to business. So far things were going as planned. Nobody had noticed the detour they were taking - Eldon, Yana, hiimself and the others had been too careful. Soon they would reach their goal and the crew could go on their way. Until then though...

Alex looked up sharply as Engineering was bathed in red.

"Red Alert! Red Alert! Red Alert!"

"Oh fantastic, just what we need," Alex muttered under his breath. He turned to another officer, "What's going on?"

The young woman looked at him and shook her head, "Hell if I know. Could just be another glitch."

Alex frowned. It certainly wasn't something he or the others had planned. What could it be then? At least Caleb was an Engineer - it gave him some insight as to what was going on.

Looking down at his console, he saw the warp demand fall off; they were now only at impulse power to the engines. Why had they dropped out of warp? Didn't they want to make up for the lost time?

Out of the corner of his eye, Alex noticed the Chief Engineer walking through Engineering. Apparently he was wondering what was going on as well.

"Kersare to Peters," came Isabel's voice.

"Go ahead Captain."

She went on, "We've encountered a subspace rupture and dropped to impulse, as I suspect you realize by now. I want you, Steele, Schulz, and Hawkins working on this immediately before we get sucked in. You can break into teams and bring others from your departments as needed; I want answers."

Alex saw Todd raise an eyebrow before he replied, "We're on it. Peters out."

Smiling slightly to himself, Alex started moving towards Todd. This hadn't been planned, but if he could get on that team, he could at least meet up with Yana fairly easily. Maybe they could figure out what to do next.

"Excuse me, sir, is there anything I can help with?" Alex looked at Todd.

OFF: Tag Peters

Alex (NPC)
played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Anderson
Crewmember

Thu May 21, 2009 2:47 pm

<6.45 Medical bay>

Em remembered wanting to be early that day for shift, but she didn’t expect to have gotten there twenty minutes before she was assigned. She had been told to do rounds the minute she arrived, and quickly got to work. She knew better than to do something stupid and second guess anyone over her.

Rounds didn’t take too long, and she knew she had some time to kill. She looked over the supplies they had used and wondered how much was left. She shook her head, and tried to put it from her mind. Things were going okay enough at the moment. She didn’t want to curse anything. It had quieted down in sickbay.

Em heard the doctor had lost someone the night before, and didn’t expect to see him in until later on unless he was needed.

<7.45 Medical bay>

Em looked around and sighed. She wondered if they would stop tossing them around like rag dolls around this ship. Why in earth did I leave for this again? She thought trying to remind herself of her personal mission to help those in the galaxy. She sighed and shook her head trying to keep herself on task. These people need help and I’m it. I owe my mother, and this is how I’m to pay her back.

Three people had just come in one was holding his arm. She motioned for him to have a seat in front of her. He did so and she scanned his arm with her tricorder discovering he had broken it in four places.

"Broken, four different places," she announced to him. A nurse came over to see how to be of assistance. Em gave him something for the pain and went to look over his friend. The girl on the next biobed was unconscious and bleeding from her head. She was in far more danger than he was, and she knew it.

"Nurse, he will be fine for now. This woman needs our help. She's bleeding from her head. I am scanning for other injuries,” she said and the nurse left the guy behind Em. Em ran the tricorder over the woman grateful to only find a set of broken ribs. She wondered what had happened.

“What was this woman doing?” Em asked but didn’t give anyone long enough to answer. “Let’s stop the bleeding to her head and give her some medicine for the pain. We can’t do anything about the ribs,” she said and ran the tricorder over her head to make sure the gal’s brain was okay. It looked like this girl had gotten lucky this time. Emily was relieved.

<Five minutes later>

They had treated both the broken arm guy and the woman that had been brought in with him. She wondered what else would be done. Should I find out where the CMO is? Naw, I’m not his babysitter. I’ll get the reports done on this and leave them on his desk. She thought and pulled out an empty padd. She started to write down the report first on the broken arm then on the girl.
Ensign Emily Anderson
Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Kaylee
Crewmember

Sun May 24, 2009 7:32 am

<ON>

<Messhall, 0730, Day 04>

She looked about the dimmly lit Messhall. She recognised the room, but had absolutely no idea how or why she got there.

Lauren Kaylee's throat immediately tightened. She gripped the side of the table she was seated in. Adreneline kicked her body and brain into overdrive.
Oh gosh, she thought bluntly. What am I doing here?
The question kept going over her head over and over again. Quiet panic had overtaken the rookie Ensign, yet she kept her calm exterior.
Kaylee had no idea how she had gotten to the Messhall, or why she was there. Or how long she had been seated. The last thing Kaylee had remembered, she had only just boarded the Malinche as the ship had been in dock. Kaylee was one of many new personnel and equipment that had been transferred to the Prometheus-class before her mission to Ivor Prime. Kaylee had attended a few orientations, and tours by the Quartermaster. The last thing she remembered was tucking some duffel bags under her bunk in the Junior Officer Bunk quarters.
Kaylee noticed next to her right hand a PADD, active and quietly waiting. She grasped it in a slightly shaking hand. The PADDs chrono read 0730, three days since they had departed.

Kaylee felt a little lightheaded. How had she forgotten three WHOLE days? She activated the personal log on the PADD. She called up her private Ensign's log, not expecting anything.
There were two saved logs by herself.
Kaylee had absolutely no memory recording any logs since she had come onboard. "What in the 'verse.." she muttered as she accessed the oldest dated log:
Departure +2 days

Ensign's Log, supplimental.
The Capt'n put us on Yellow Alert today. Everyone's chatt'n about some cursed Expanse that we're travelling pretty close too.
Then the Capt'n decided that we were better off braving the Expanse than flying through an Ion Storm...and im keen to agree with her. 'Remember the time Dad and I flew the Silver Zephyr through a .5 class Storm, the ol' girl didn't like it one bit...apparently this one we're passing out on is somethin' like a class 8!

It was definately her that had saved that log. Kaylee noticed a half drunk mug of coffee on the table before her. She tentatively grasped it, and sipped its contents.
French Vanilla. Her favourite.
Kaylee, more confused than ever, accessed the next saved log:
Departure +3 days

Something really strange is goin' on. There have been a lot of system failures and comprises. The Bridge crew had to narrowly avoid an asteroid field within the Expanse. It's got a lot of people shook up.
The Engineering Crew and DC Teams have been working around the clock, trying to reconfigure and fix problems. Saw some guy booting a Console, muttering about 'gremlins not existing', but he seemed pretty tired and ticked off...must be the Chief Engineer... I should probably approach him, offering help. I can't help with the computers and EPS problems, but at the very least I could lend a hand with the propulsion systems... I might approach someone in the Mess Hall later about that.

Kaylee slowly dropped the PADD on the table. Now she was definately running in overdrive. How was it that the past few days were completely erased from her memory? especially monumentous events like near-Asteroid collisions, and system failures.

Kaylee wasn't sure why, but she knew that she wouldn't get any answers sitting down. Before Kaylee headed for the Bridge, she decided it was best to head to Sickbay, and get herself checked out. Kaylee couldn't even remember taking her post-boarding physical inspection. Best to do that now. She didn't need to be on the Conn experiencing black-outs.

As she rose from her seat, the messhall was suddenly bathed in the blood-red lighting of Red Alert. The alarm klaxons began to ring. Simultaneously, the stars outside the viewports reverted back to pinpoints, as the Malinche dropped out of Warp speed.
The few officers that were enjoying a quiet meal in the Messhall also quickly rose and departed the area, headed for they designated areas. Kaylee checked her Chrono: 0748

Kaylee made her way to the nearest turbolift. Curiously, the door only opened half-way, jamming. As she was forced to slide her thin frame through the doors, she wondered if this was attributed to the system failures she'd read about.
"Deck 6," She said aloud. It whisked her to Sickbay.

Kaylee walked in. The Sickbay was alive with activity, as the crew and staff prepared for Red Alert readiness.
Kaylee pulled up a nearby nurse. "Excuse me, who's in charge here at the moment?"

<OFF>
<TAG CMO or MO Anderson

JP? my msn is lachdelkar@gmail.com :-)
Ensign Lauren Kaylee
Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sun May 24, 2009 10:35 am

<Bridge, 0750, MD04>

Yana’s eyes widened when the viewscreen flashed on, his heart raced and he felt a cold sweat start. This wasn’t the plan, this wasn’t the ship changing direction as planned this was their carefully laid plan being jeopardised.

The rupture looked like a mouth, a gapping maw that was doing its best to devouring everything around, and disrupting subspace in the process...

It was then that a piece fell in to place in his mind, what it the monster on the viewscreen was the thing that was behind all of this, the thing that set into motion the sequence of events that lead him to be standing here, on the bridge of a Federation starship, in the body of another man...

The very idea filled him with dread and his mind was still spinning when he heard the Malinche’s captain say Hawkins name...

"Alright, I want you, Mr. Schulz, Mr. Peters, and Mr. Hawkins working on this. Split into teams if it'll help, but I want a report as soon as you come up with something. I want to get us out of its reach, but minimize any damage to the area," she ordered.

A reply came through the comm system, "We're on it. Peters out."

Yana knew that as much as he and the others had a mission to accomplish, for the time being they were going to have to work with the crew of the Malinche...

Yana quickly tapped some buttons on his console to try and cover up his emotions and after a few moments tapped the combadge, “Hawkins to Peters, I suggest we convene in stellar cartography, we can send all information there and analyse it?” He looked towards Schultz and Steele as he spoke indicating he was addressing them too.

He waited for a response and then transferred the tactical scans to the cartography lab and nodded to his relief to take his console...
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Peters
Senior Staff

Mon May 25, 2009 10:42 pm

ON: <USS Malinche, Engineering Crew Lounge, Day 4, 0740>

Peters was starting to hate this crew lounge. He'd spent as much time in here in the last 48 hours as he had in his own quarters. The only thing that kept him coming back in here was the fact that it was less than 20 steps from Main Engineering and it was quiet enough to allow him some rest and had a replicator so he could eat.

Eating was his first priority on this visit, and then hopefully another short nap. They'd started on their way to continuing their mission, finally, but Peters still had no answers as to what had gone wrong with the Malinche's systems. With C'Eltor's help he'd ruled out overt sabotage, computer error, and every other possibility they could think of shy of the Bridge crew suddenly going insane. That possibility had been discarded with no debate, leaving Peters with nothing to tell the Captain if she asked.

Stepping up to the replicator, Peters pondered for a moment. "Three egg omelet with cheese and mushrooms, toast with butter and apple butter, and orange juice."

Peters suppressed the urge to order the OJ as a screwdriver, it wouldn't do to be suddenly called back to duty and have alcohol on his breath. A shimmer and the usual hum signaled that his food was materializing and Peters reached for his food, only to have a shudder go through the ship and the Red Alert klaxon to sound.

The ship's shudder knocked his hand into the glass of OJ, sending it over his omelet and splashing onto the front of his uniform jacket. "Aw, dammit," Peters swore. "Computer, recycle."

Pulling his uniform jacket off in disgust, Peters dried his hands on the back of the already-soiled garment and pulled his commbadge off the jacket and stuck it into approximately the right place on his tunic. He then tossed the jacket aside, not particularly caring at this point where it ended up.

Striding out the door, Peters headed for Engineering to see what was going on. He hadn't made it more than a few steps inside the door before his commbadge chirped. "Kersare to Peters," came Isabel's voice.

Peters shook his head and tapped his commbadge. "Go ahead Captain."

She went on, "We've encountered a subspace rupture and dropped to impulse, as I suspect you realize by now. I want you, Steele, Schulz, and Hawkins working on this immediately before we get sucked in. You can break into teams and bring others from your departments as needed; I want answers."

Peters quirked an eyebrow. He was beginning to wonder if he had pissed off the gods of Engineering this week. "We're on it. Peters out."

"Excuse me, sir, is there anything I can help with?" Peters looked up to see WO2 Corrin looking at him.

"You just might be able to, Mister Corrin," Peters answered. "I want--" His commbadge chirped again. "Hold on." Peters tapped his commbadge again. "Peters here."

“Hawkins to Peters, I suggest we convene in stellar cartography, we can send all information there and analyze it?”

"I'll be there in a moment, Mister Hawkins, Peters out." Peters motioned for Corrin to follow him as he headed out of Main Engineering at something a bit shy of a full out run.

OFF:
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Anderson
Crewmember

Tue May 26, 2009 12:08 am

<8.00 Sickbay>

Emily had finished the report and placed it on the CMO's desk. She was about to make rounds again when she saw some more people coming in. She sighed and rolled up her sleeves to get back to active duty again instead of just reports. She shook her head wondering when this was going to end.

"Nurse, let's go on the double. Someone find the CMO and tell him he's suppose to be working," she said muttering a curse under her breath after that. No one could make out what she said, and she wouldn't repeat it.

She looked over some and sent them toward certain areas in the sickbay. She knew none were serious, and was grateful for that. Eventually a nurse took over assigning the sick and injured, Emily was allowed to go see how she could help in a different way.

She noticed one man was burned very badly. They were doing their best to help prep him for surgery. She walked over spying no doctor on the scene.

"Update me," she said getting straight to the point.

"This man is bleeding internally. Surgery is his only option to live," the nurse said. Em knew this wasn't good, and she wanted to sigh again. She resisted doing so and prepped herself for surgery as well.

<8.10>

Emily kicked the bottom of the nearest biobed and winced knowing it wasn't a smart move. She hated losing people, and wondered if they had gotten to him soon if he would have lived. She put this from her mind as the activity in sickbay came to a slow again. She was glad for this.

"Nurse log the time of death. Forget my foot I'm a fool if I broke it," she said and hobbled away. She was about to see what she had done to her foot when a woman entered. They heard the Red Alert sound, and she sighed.

"Now what," Em muttered and shook her head. Her foot would have to wait. She had everyone scatter to get ready for worse activity than they had seen so far. Em was hobbling away from the door when she overheard the woman talking to a nurse.

"I guess that would be me for now," Emily said to the woman and nodded for the nurse to go get ready.

"I'm Emily Anderson. What is it I can do for you?" She said waiting to hear this one.

<<Tag Kaylee>>
Ensign Emily Anderson
Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Steele
Senior Staff

Thu May 28, 2009 1:19 pm

<<USS Malinche, Bridge, 0748, Day 4>>

The Prometheus class ship slowed, Isabel could feel it. After nearly four years on the Malinche and her training as an Engineer, she could still claim to be in tune to the ship - or at least her engines. Her eyes stayed on the viewscreen as she watched them moving ever so slowly towards the rupture. At least dropping out of warp had slowed their being pulled in...

She turned to Aaron, "Is there anything else we can do to slow us from being pulled in? Is it mainly attracted to our warp engines, or the energy readings we give off, or simply our mass?" If it was their mass, nothing else she could do would truly help. Other than perhaps going to MVAM...perhaps as three sections they would last longer. "What about going to MVAM?"
Aaron knew the Captain was searching for alternatives that would solve the problem without damaging surrounding space, while at the same time trying to understand the dangers posed by the subspace rupture. Not that it was an easy task to do, here he was the chief of science and he barely understood it himself.
"What is attracting us to it?" Aaron repeated the question mainly for his own benefit.
"Nothing but at the same time everything; it's simply sucking us in. If we reversed course and jumped to maximum warp it might be enough to break free. However that would mean going back through the asteroid field and as we still don't know exactly what happened there I wouldn't recommend it. Separating the ship will just mean that the debris field will be spread over a wider radius if we don't figure out how to stop the rupture."

Isabel nodded, "How long until we get sucked in?"

Aaron checked his console.
"If we come to a complete stop it should give us an hour or two. I must admit though a lot of this is pure speculation. The standing theory is that the closer one gets to the center the rate of attraction increases exponentially. In plain language Captain, the closer we get the faster we get sucked in. At least that's the theory anyway, very few have been reported and as such information is sketchy. "

Realizing the opportunity they possessed, Aaron made studying the rupture the chief priority of the science department. Every bit of data collected could be used to help devise a way out, but more than that if they survived the Malinche would have collected valuable data to be studied by others in the science community that specialized in subspace and all its facets.

"We should meet in astrometrics."

Aaron nodded in agreement, relaying the sensor data to the lab to aid in coming up with a solution.

OFF:
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kaylee
Crewmember

Fri May 29, 2009 2:34 am

<ON>
<USS Malinche, Deck 6 Sickbay, Day 04, 0810>

The doors whisked open. Kaylee walked in. The Sickbay was alive with activity, as the crew and staff prepared for Red Alert readiness.
Kaylee pulled up a nearby nurse. "Excuse me, who's in charge here at the moment?"

Kaylee noticed over the nurses shoulder, a Medical officer charge- and slightly hobble- over. She gave the nurse a curt nod, and the nurse left.
"I'm Emily Anderson. What is it I can do for you?" She said.

Kaylee gave Anderson a quick look up and down. She mentally cursed to herself. Kaylee definately didn't have recall being to the sickbay, or ever having met this officer. The problem was that she honestly wouldn't know, or couldn't remember anything that had happened the last few days.

"Hi, I'm Kaylee," She spoke a little rushed. She caught herself, and took a breath. "Now, this is gunna sounds real odd, but...I haven't met you before have I? Even more stranger...I've got this three day block of amnesia. Last thing i remember, we were leaving Spacedock for Ivor Prime."

"That doesn't sound good. No we haven't met before. This is my first mission," she said being honest. She sighed and frowned. Emily didn't like dealing with any amnesia.

Kaylee let this information sink in for effect. She gave a tight, worried smile. "Bet you don't get alot of people come in with these symptons, eh?"

"No actually we don't. Come have a seat and we will scan you to see what is going on. It could be something small like a bump on the head, but we won't know until we scan," she said motioning toward the nearest biobed. She walked over to the biobed and picked up the nearest tricorder hoping this wouldn't be as unpredictable as it sounded.

Kaylee nodded and walked over to the nearest bio bed. She slid on top of it and lay down. As Anderson readied herself, Kaylee called out, still looking up at the ceiling. "So you just joined the Malinche aswell? I only just came onboard myself, we must have both been on the same supply shuttle, then."

"Anything is possible. No need to shout I'm right here," she said smiling. Emily scanned the woman and was shocked. The readings were off a bit. She ran them twice to be sure that she wasn't seeing things.

"It looks like this isn't just a little bump to the head. It seems some of the neurons have been changed. This is strange indeed," she said still not believing the readings in front of her eyes.

"I'm going to need to study this. How long before you noticed you didn't remember something?" Em asked wondering how many were like this, or if it was just this one case. The readings made her think that maybe the rest of the crew should be checked.

The familiar feeling of foreboding settled itself back in her stomach. Kaylee replied. "Well, let's see. Last thing I remember...it was our first day of departure from Spacedock, as we were leaving for Ivor Prime. I had just had a ship tour with the Quartermaster. That was at about 1600. Then, the next thing I know, it's twenty minutes ago, and I'm sitting in the Messhall, with a PADD full of personnel logs ive saved and half a mug of coffee. I can't remember what happened this we detoured into the Expanse."

Kaylee tilted her head up to look at Anderson. "Have there been any other wierd things happening to the crew?"

"That is strange indeed. I seem to remember things just fine. I can't say at this time. Considering what you are saying I need to investigate. Do you remember where your station is? Perhaps you should report in to your commanding officer before reporting for duty. Do you feel like you are capable of performing your duties at this time?" Emily said hoping this wouldn't be happening to more than just one of the crew. ~This could be why the doctor hasn't shown up for duty yet.~ She thought.

Kaylee nodded as she slowly sat up on the biobed. "Yep, I remember where that is atleast, I'll report in to the Flight Chief on the way, whereever he is. Are we done?" She asked as she slid off the biobed onto the deck.

"Yes we are. If you find you have lost more of your memory than this return immediately. If your memory comes back come here. Any and all information on this is vital," she said trying to stress the importance.

Kaylee nodded. "ok, thanks. It was good to meet you. I'll see you around the ship, i guess?"

"Good to meet you too," she said not sure what else to say. She hoped to get to the bottom of this amnesia and fast. She started to look over the scans for anything else unusual.

Kaylee turned and left sickbay, headed for the Bridge.

OFF

A JP between

Emily Anderson
Medical Officer

AND
Ensign Lauren Kaylee
Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Anderson
Crewmember

Sun May 31, 2009 11:07 pm

[Sickbay - 8.30]

Em hadn't found out much about the amnesia hitting the crew. She had only found it in one crewmember thus far - Lauren Kaylee. She wondered if the woman had only hit her head.

She was about to give up when another officer showed up. He said his name was Ryan Tamlin. She thought he wasn't hurt and that this was just a prank.

"Look you can tell your buddies to give it up. I don't like pranks in sickbay mine or anyone else's," she said and was about to dismiss him completely.

"No, you don't understand. I seem to be missing a few memories. It's like I was suppose to be somewhere yesterday, but I had no idea until a few minutes ago when my date for that night slapped me for standing her up. Something is definitely wrong doc," he said. She sighed and nodded.

"Okay on the biobed. Let's do a scan," she said and watched as he moved onto the biobed and laid down. She started a scan and couldn't believe her eyes when she saw the same readings as in Ensign Kaylee. She shook her head and told him she wasn't sure what it was.

Em told him she would get back to him when she found out what it was leaving him with amnesia like this. He went away unsatisfied, and Em wished she could have told him more.

=^=Doctor Anderson to Captain Kersare. Things aren't looking good down here. I've gotten two cases so far of amnesia. It's only of a couple of days, but it's the same symptoms in both people. I need to investigate further into this before I know what we are dealing with. Our CMO seems to be missing as well. He didn't come in, which makes me think he might also have this amnesia.=^=

Emily hated reporting to the captain, but knew of any other alternative. She had people looking for the CMO. The computer put him in his quarters, but all they found were commbadges and empty uniforms all except the one he would be wearing. She wondered why he wasn't wearing a commbadge.

OFF:

Tag Kersare

Borrowed NPC: Ryan Tamlin
Ensign Emily Anderson
Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B