Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Rho
Senior Staff

Re: Mission 14: Do As The Romulans Do

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:14 am

OFF: This is a backpost.
ON:

<<USS Malinche, Intel Office, Day 3, 1805>>

The Diplomatic Dinner was under way and Ensign Derrin (NPC) was glad he was no where near it. He was not one for diplomatic functions. They gave him the willies, especially when the Romulans were concerned. One thing he was certainly glad to have was the extra security that seemed to pick up around the ship. Michael was monitoring subspace communications, keeping an ear out for anything suspicious, when Rachael Tilden walked up.

"How do you think Lt. Rho is handling the dinner party?"

"Well enough I suppose," he replied. "I know she's not one for crowds. So I'd bet she's a little on edge right now."

"You're right about the crowds," said Rachael, "but I don't think she'd be edgy."

Michael turned to face Rachael and leaned against the console. "Why?"

"Well, she's focused on the task at hand, or rather the tasks. She's got to eat and enjoy it while keeping an ear open for anything valuable. And I'd say that she's got those Ullian abilities at full strength, too. That is, if she can read Romulans."

Michael chuckled a little, "You've got that right. She tries to focus on what's happening and a lot of stuff happens at a diplomatic dinner."

"So what part are you playing in all this?" Rachael asked him.

"Monitoring subspace communications for anything suspicious."

"You're spying!" jokingly exclaimed Rachael.

"No, not exactly. I'm not monitoring inter-ship comms for either vessel, just anything that leaves either ship headed for the Neutral Zone and Romulan space. Besides, I'm not listening to the conversations, just watching for subspace communication signals."

"Oh, I see." Rachael smiled.

"So how about you," Michael asked her, "how's your assignment coming?"

"No attempts yet. And hopefully there won't be any." Tilden was monitoring the Intel databases and system that Lt. Rho had locked and secured for any attempts to break the access the codes. Her orders were to immediately back-trace it, find out where it was coming from, and alert security.

"That's good," replied Michael. "Hopefully this dinner will go off without a hitch."

"And it would be nice if the rest of the mission went like that," added Rachael.

Michael laughed. "Now Miss Tilden, when have you ever known a Starfleet mission not to go awry in some form or another?"

Rachel agreed. After a few more minutes of idle conversation, the two went back to their previous engagements. This time, Michael grabbed a stool and sat down. It was going to be a long dinner and possibly mission.

OFF:
Ensign Michael Derrin
Intelligence Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38997-A

and

Chief Warrant Officer 2nd Class Rachael Tilden
Infiltration Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38997-A

Both played by:
Lieutenant JG Alexis Rho
Chief Intelligence Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
"My mind is the only sanctuary that has not been stolen from me. People have tried to breach it before, but I've learned to defend it vigorously, for I am only safe with my innermost thoughts."

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Re: Mission 14: Do As The Romulans Do

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:56 pm

OFF: This is a backpost

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Kersare's Quarters, Day 1, 0730>>

With Shoreleave practically over, Isabel was getting back into her usual routine. She had a shift on the bridge starting shortly and was already dressed. For the past few days, Britney (PNPC) had been collecting notifications of transfers, but hadn't shown them to Isabel just yet.

Seated at her desk, she slowly finished her mocha as she went through some of the latest news. Nothing had been reported about the Rome just yet, but she expected it would be soon. Isabel was anxious to know more about their next mission, but thus far she only knew it would involve a trip back to Starbase 386.

To the side of the screen, a message flashed indicating she had a communication coming in. Isabel accepted the incoming communication and waited to see who it was.

<<Earth Spacedock, Lt. j.g. Therin's Office, >>

It had only been a few weeks ago that the station's Chief Medical Officer, Commander Lafayette, had called Caderyn into his office for a one on one discussion. The Commander had informed him that he'd been contacted for further information on evaluations on several of his ACMO's. "The Medical division is spread a little thin at the moment and you've already got a year's experience commanding more officers than Chief's on most other assignments. Dollar to doughnuts you up for consideration for Chief Medical Officer on a ship or small outpost."

"So more responsibilities and paperwork for less amenities?" Cade had quickly quipped back, earning a hearty laugh from the veteran doctor.

"Exactly."

"Well then sign me up!"

The time had gone by quickly when Cade was informed that a comm meeting had been set up between himself and Captain Kersare of the USS Malinche, a Prometheus class vessel. He'd just finished up his last appointment of his shift, noticing he was ten minutes later than scheduled. Not that it could be helped, not that it made for a good first impression. He sat down at his desk and within a few quick minutes the connection was established.

"Captain Kersare, this is Lieutenant Therin, I apologize for the delay I was just finishing up with a patient." Cade glanced down as he noticed a smiley faced sticker on his uniform. "A very small patient..." He elaborated as he peeled the sticker off.

<USS Malinche>

"That's quite alright, Doctor," Isabel replied. Unsure of what was going on, she asked, "I'm afraid I'm not sure why you've contacted me... I wasn't aware I should be expecting a communique. If this is about one of the transfers, I'm afraid I haven't had a chance to go through them yet."

<Earth Spacedock>

"My apologies Captain; I had been informed that you had requested an interview." Starfleet could assign its officers as it pleased, regardless of a commanding officer's wishes, but it was truly rare for them to ram an unwanted crewmember down a CO's throat if they had an objection. Each CO was different of course, one might personally interview a dozen officers for an open position and the next might take whatever name Starfleet Command picked out of a hat. Usually the process for a senior staff position lay somewhere in the middle. “Must have been a communication mix-up somewhere along the line.”

<USS Malinche>

Isabel nodded, "I apologize for being behind, Lieutenant Therin; I'm glad to hear you'll be joining us. Our next stop is Starbase 386, would you be able to rendezvous with us there?"

Part of her was rather relieved to learn that the Malinche would once again have a Chief Medical Officer. It was also take the additional burden off of Julie (NPC); Isabel would need to speak to the woman about taking the Assistant Chief position once the new doctor arrived.

<Earth Spacedock>

“The USS Bellicose is supposed to leave Earth Spacedock on the 26th after finishing a minor retrofit.” One of his Academy acquaintances had been assigned on the Sovereign class ship as a doctor and Cade had enjoyed a pleasant dinner get together when the ship first docked. “ She's supposed to be heading directly to Starbase 386 to drop off crew and supplies before heading back out on patrol. Should put me there in about a week give or take a few days.”

<USS Malinche>

"Excellent," Isabel smiled. "We should arrive in around a week, so that should be fairly good timing. Have you served aboard a Prometheus class, Doctor?" She would really have to review his service record more before he arrived and perhaps speak with him more once he came aboard.

<Earth Spacedock>

“No Captain.” Cade replied with a short shake of his head. “I've served as ACMO here on Earth Spacedock and had a 6 months hands-on internship aboard a Klingon bird of prey as my primary experiences. Suffice it to say in addition to tending to injuries with minimal anesthetics and marshaling the services of thousands of medical staff, hundreds of who serve under me in particular I can also elaborate on the surprisingly extensive medicinal properties of bloodwine.” As he finished there was a glint of a smile in Cade's eyes. “Which of course is the only reason why I'll be bringing several cases aboard.”

<USS Malinche>

Based on his replies, Isabel had a feeling her new Chief Medical Officer would be yet another intriguing addition to the Malinche. Relaxing a bit into her chair, she said, "Are there any questions you have that I can address before your journey, Lieutenant?"

<Earth Spacedock>

“I don't believe so, Captain.” Cade shook his head. “I'll certainly take time to review any relevant mission and medical files during my trip. Any questions that still remain after than can be best answered then."

<USS Malinche>

She nodded; it was nice to see Caderyn would take initiative. "Well, I'm sure you are or will be busy preparing for the journey and I don't want to hold you up. It was a pleasure speaking with you; I look forward to meeting you soon," Isabel said with a smile. "Safe journey."

<Earth Spacedock>

“As I look forward to meeting you as well, Captain. Godspeed.” Caderyn reached forward and tapped the button that would cut off the commlink. As he leaned back in his chair and interlaced his hands behind his head he smiled. This was going to be interesting.

OFF:

JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant JG Caderyn Therin
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A