Mission 15 - Be Wary Of Your Friends (JM with Starbase 386)

Posts for the USS Malinche's missions

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Masterson
Senior Staff

Re: Mission 15 - Be Wary Of Your Friends (JM with Starbase 386)

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:24 pm

ON: [[Masterson's Quarters, USS Malinche, Station Day 04, 1342]]

The moment the door to the room hissed open, the lights automatically rose to normal illumination levels. Despite the smaller size of the accommodations, at least Aaron had a room to himself. It was one of the perks of being a member of the senior staff. Although Aaron had just spent the past four hours helping to secure the Promenade, he knew that he still had a lot of work to do before he would be finished with the aftermath of the day's events. Immediately, he crossed over to his desk and picked up a PADD there. He glanced over it and set it aside before activating his desktop terminal.

At the sound of the doorchime, Aaron didn't even bother to look up. He slowly lowered himself into his seat and called out, "Enter."

The door slid open again and Mike (NPC) stuck his head into the room. Taking a look around, he whistled. "Nice place you got here," he remarked jokingly. Mike stepped across the threshold, allowing the doors to close behind him as he continued to survey Aaron's quarters. Even though Aaron had been aboard for a few days, there were still a lot of personal belongings in various states of being unpacked. His gaze came to rest on Aaron, who was sitting at his desk, focusing intently on the display before him. Right to work, as usual, Mike thought to himself. He slipped in behind Aaron's chair, gently placing his hands on the young man's shoulders, and slowly began to massage the tension from the past few hours.

"What are you working on," Mike asked casually, peering over Aaron's shoulder at the display.

"Trying to write up a report for station security," Aaron replied, glancing at a PADD in one hand before going back to the terminal. He wanted to get everything down right away before his mind started confusing the details. Maybe something from his perspective would be able to help the investigation somehow. "You should really do one, too," he added.

"Reports can wait," Mike said, continuing to rub Aaron's shoulders, "I haven't seen you in ages. Now here we are, the edge of the Federation, and all you care about is filing reports. I can see why they made you a department head so quickly. You always were the one to put yourself to the grindstone."

Aaron slowly lowered the PADD he had in hand to the desk as his focus began to shift from the work to Mike's massage. "Yet you always seemed to know just how to pull me off," he retorted, leaning back against the back of his chair so that he was looking up at the young man behind him. Mike smiled mischievously, leaned forward, and gently kissed Aaron briefly.

"You know, you never did tell me what you were doing on the station," Aaron said as Mike wandered over to an open chair and took a seat. He'd been wondering in the back of his mind how it was possible that they had both ended up at Starbase 386 at the same time, let alone on the Promenade in just the right place at just the right time. Sometimes life had a funny way of dropping strange coincidences on people and this definitely seemed like one of those times.

With a shrug, Mike replied, "Well, they didn't have a specific assignment for me right out of graduation..."

"I thought you were being assigned to the Antietam," Aaron interrupted, recalling the conversation they had had via subspace on the eve of Mike's graduation, "What happened to that?"

"Well, the Antietam was diverted to another assignment, so they sent me out this way instead," Mike explained, "Considering how tense things have been on the frontier, I can't say I'm all that surprised. I mean, just look at what happened at Altorus. They told me that they'd have an assignment for me by the end of the month, but until then, I've kinda just been helping out on the station where I can. But what about you? You didn't tell me you were being promoted."

"Didn't know myself until I came aboard and met the captain," Aaron replied, remembering how vague the orders that he had been given had really been, "To be honest, I was just as surprised as anyone."

"Can't say it's that surprising," Mike told him, "I mean, you really made an impression on the Armstrong. I doubt the captain would have given you the position if she didn't think you had what it took to oversee the department. Besides, it gives them an excuse to give you that shiny new pip."

Aaron smiled, pleased that Mike had noticed. It wasn't something that he planned on broadcasting to every corner of the quadrant, but it was nice that the people he cared for did recognize the change.

"You know...I was thinking..." Mike said slowly, leaning forward as if what he had to say was a secret, "You could ask the captain to let me transfer aboard into your department..." He looked over at Aaron with anticipation, waiting to see what he would say.

Aaron's smile faltered a little and he paused as Mike's words sunk in. "I don't know, Mike," he began hesitantly, "I'm still rather new around here and I don't know how the captain would take it if I started asking for transfers this soon."

"Why not," Mike asked, leaning back with a confused look on his face, "I mean, she already trusts you with the position, doesn't she? She promoted you."

Letting out a sigh, Aaron tried to figure out how best to word his concern. "It's just...I'm not sure if it would be best for us to..." he said, "...what I mean is...I don't think it would look good for me to..." Mike tilted his head, trying to figure out what Aaron was getting at, which only made Aaron less confident of what he was trying to say. Deep down, he knew that he loved Mike and didn't want to hurt him, but he was worried that if they were serving together on the same ship and in the same department, their relationship might get people talking, especially when he would be Mike's superior officer.

Mike knew Aaron well enough to know when something was troubling him. Whereas he had always been the one to dive headfirst into everything, Aaron had always been the one to stick with it until he finished. He could see that Aaron wanted to say yes, but that there was also something holding him back. "You're worried about how it would look for us to be together," Mike stated bluntly. With Aaron's new position came new responsibilities and Mike knew that some people might have a problem with a department head being in a relationship with someone within their department. At the same time, Mike cared about Aaron too much to care about what other people thought. "I don't want to push you, Aaron," he continued, "but I don't care what anyone else says. You know that. If you can't, then you can't. It's as simple as that. All I'm asking is that you'll try."

A moment passed in silence as the two of them looked at each other. Finally, Aaron said, "I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask..."

OFF

Ensign Mike Kepler (PNPC)
Security Officer
USS Malinche

Played by
Last edited by Masterson on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
Chief Security/Tactical Officer & 2XO
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Starbase 386 Crew

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:36 pm

ON: <Starbase 386, Lower Pylon 2, Day 3, 0930>

Lange tugged on his uniform jacket hem for what seemed like the fiftieth time since he'd arrived at the airlock at the tip of the docking pylon. Through the observation port in the airlock door he could make out the contour of the Klingon warship's hull as it pulled into position for the docking clamps to lock on. Though he was acting as the host of a major diplomatic function, Lange had foregone his dress uniform with the justification that he'd be splitting his attention between the conference and his regular duties for several days at the least, likely several weeks, and there was no way that he was going to spend the whole day in his dress uniform for that whole time.

A slight shudder accompanied a loud "thunk" as the docking clamps locked into place. Lange tugged on his jacket one more time, then turned his full attention to the airlock as the doors rolled open. A tall Klingon in ambassadorial robes strode through the airlock and stopped in front of Lange. He stood at least a head taller than Lange did and could probably pick him up and bench press him. Lange fought the smile that threatened to spread across his face as the thought, 'Klingons don't do anything small.'

"Ambassador Kovath, I'm Captain Lange, commander of Starbase 386," Lange greeted, offering his best imitation of a Klingon salute before saying the greeting he'd been reciting to himself since he'd gotten up that morning: "SoH quv maH tlhej lIj Daq."

A look of surprise crossed the ambassador's face as he returned the salute. He gave Lange a measuring look before responding in his own tongue, "SoH jatlh tlhIngan Hol?"

At that Lange did smile as he shook his head. "Only a few words, Ambassador. Most of them not fit for what humans would consider 'polite' conversation. However, if you want a swearing contest while you're here, I would be happy to oblige."

Kovath blinked, then threw back his head and roared with laughter. He clapped Lange hard on the shoulder with one hand. "I like you, tera'ngan. You have a warrior's soul. Now, since the conference doesn't start until tomorrow, I want to see my quarters. And then, take me to wherever I can get good blood wine!"

Lange managed not to fall over from Kovath's expression of affection and merely gestured towards the turbolift with one hand. "Right this way, Ambassador."

OFF:

Captain James Lange
Commanding Officer
Starbase 386 - TF22
Horizon Fleet
This is a post by a member of Starbase 386's Crew
http://starbase386.antoniemey.com/

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:40 pm

<<Starbase 386, Promenade, Day 3, 0900>>

Isabel had finished breakfast on the Promenade almost a half hour ago and had been simply wandering around browsing since then. Derek (PNPC) had chosen to stay on the ship and she didn't have anything pressing at the moment. Of course, Isabel still had several things on her mind - the new crewmembers, Derek, how Aaron was doing after the news he received.

Aaron was standing on the upper deck watching as the people milled about down below when he spotted a familiar figure heading his direction.
"Captain, nice to see you, haven't come across many from the Malinche since we docked."

Isabel looked over as she heard the voice of her Chief Science Officer, "Good morning, Lieutenant. Nice to see you as well...I imagine at least some of them are around somewhere - it is a fairly large station after all." Isabel smiled as she continued, "Did you just come over?"

"You could say that. I arrived about fifteen minutes ago. I spent most of yesterday planet-side so I figured I'd spend some more time checking out the station. Beyond that I don't really have any plans for the day."
To avoid having to yell over the crowd, Aaron moved closer to the Captain as he spoke.

Sometimes those are the best days," Isabel smiled. "Anything interesting on the planet?"

"Depends on what you mean by on the planet."
He chuckled at the Captain's confused expression before explaining himself.

"Ensign N'rass and I took the Tenochtitlan down to the planet to explore one of the oceans. Saw plenty of marine life and a few interesting geological features as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the Trouts (NPC) followed suit today. The Malinche doesn't offer as many chances for aquatic research as DS7 did."

Nodding, Isabel replied, "I imagine it doesn't. I hope the Tenochtitlan didn't have any issues during your exploration..." To be honest, she found the craft interesting as well, but doubted that she would have an opportunity to take it out, at least not this time.

"Nothing major, as with most new craft it's got some bugs to be worked out. Overall I was impressed with how she handled, it's not my first time in a sub but the first of this class." Aaron's face grew more serious as he switched topics.
"I never got the chance to personally thank you for granting me time off to attend the memorial service at SB Sheridan. I was the only immediate family member present so it means a lot to all of us."

"I'm glad you enjoyed the craft," Isabel replied. "You're quite welcome; it's certainly the least I could do. I heard the service was nice."

"The service was well done and very respectful towards the missing." Aaron had some doubts about the service but they had been quickly dispelled.

"And how about you, how are you doing with it?" Isabel asked, concerned about how the tragedy had affected Aaron.

"The Doc. says I'm handling it just fine." Aaron slowly began. "Or at least as well as could be expected. The sleepless nights have subsided thankfully but there are times I want to call her up and talk about something but I realize that's not possible. The first time I actually went as far as to try and establish a communications link with the Sentry. Several times during the war we talked about what would happen if one didn't survive and I'm doing my best to follow those wishes."

Isabel nodded slowly, "I remember times like that when I thought Derek (PNPC) was dead... It's certainly not easy, but time does help a little at least. I'm sure she knows she's missed and that you're doing your best." Really she remembered all too well the sleepless nights and rolling over to talk to her husband only to find him not there. It had taken awhile for her to accept his death; then of course he turned out to be alive.

Once again Aaron was reminded that others had gone through similar experiences. In the back of his mind he knew that to be true, but it was easy to forget that. He changed the topic back to less serious topics.
"As everyone seems on edge due to the current political situation, a group on the station is organizing a hoedown this evening. They've invited us musicians from visiting ships to participate as well. Should help people relax for a few hours."

"Oh?" Isabel had heard about the musical venture. "Do you know where it is and what time?"

"They said it was to start around 18:00 hrs. As for where; it's supposed to take place somewhere on the promenade. If nothing else, just follow the music."
He made a mental note to try and get a 'playlist' ahead of time to make sure he was familiar with the tunes, and give him time to practice those he didn't know.

"I'll keep in mind; hopefully I'll have time to stop by," Isabel smiled. "In any event, I don't want to hold you up... Have a nice day and perhaps I'll see you this evening."

"You too Captain, it was nice talking with you."
Aaron then left his perch on the promenade to track down the person in charge of the concert.

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hansen
Senior Staff

Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:06 pm

ON: [[Main Engineering, USS Malinche, Station Day 01, 1620]]

"We should probably swap this relay out today," Will (NPC) suggested, indicating the relay on the display, "It was giving us a few problems on the trip back from the Neutral Zone and I wouldn't want to see us lose it suddenly when we're out in the middle of nowhere."

"We don't have any of those relays in storage, sir," the crewman at the workstation pointed out. Will frowned as he thought for a moment. It wasn't a piece of equipment that needed routine replacing so it wasn't that strange to not have a replacement in storage. The question was, where could they find one?

"There should be some available on the station," Will said slowly, "Otherwise we could always check with the shipyards, though I'd hate to interrupt their repair teams. From what I hear, they've got a lot of work on their hands as it is."

Sean walked into the engineering headquarters, a PADD in one hand and a coffee in another. Walking up behind Will in mid sentence, he stood behind him, waiting for him to finish. After a moment of silence he cleared his throat just loud enough to grab the former operations officer's attention.

Rising from where he had been leaning over the console next to the crewman, Will turned to see a lieutenant in services gold standing just behind him. He was amused to see the cup of coffee in the man's hand, a tell-tale sign that this man was either an engineer or an operations officer. "Something I can help you with," Will asked politely.

A small smirk showed on Sean's face before disappearing faster than it appeared. "Actually," he responded, "I believe it is I that will be helping you, Lieutenant. I am Lieutenant Sean Hansen, the..."

"...the new Chief Operations Officer," Will finished, "Yes, I heard that you were coming aboard. I see you've already taken to the caffeine. Trying to get a head start?"

Now an outright smile came across Sean's face. After lifting the cup up to take a drink, he answered, "I make a habit to never be without a cup. In this line of work, you never know when your next chance to get a cup will come."

Stretching his head up slightly to get a look at what the two men in front of him were working on, he asked, "What exactly is it that you two were working on?"

"Just a relay that was giving us some trouble," Will explained, "I figured we'd replace it now while we had access to the station so that we wouldn't be trying to fix it later when we really need it." He knew better than to judge by simple appearances, but if he had to go just based on first impressions, Lt. Hansen seemed to be making a very good one. When Lieutenant Peters had asked him to step into the Chief Systems Manager position, he'd been a bit surprised. It would be a slight change of pace from what he had been used to, but it was also more in line with the work he had been doing since he came aboard the Malinche and seemed to be a very interesting opportunity. However, it meant that he was giving up his department to this newcomer, so it would probably be a good idea for him to get to know his successor, especially since they'd be working together frequently in the future.

Sean nodded, taking a sip from his coffee. "That is certainly a good idea. If you need some help, I'm not scheduled to work until tomorrow morning, so I'm free to help until then."

"I just might take you up on that offer, lieutenant," Will replied with a smile. Turning to the crewman, he said, "See if you can't track down one of those relays and when you find one, let us know. Lieutenant Hansen and I will work on actually getting ahold of it."

Sean set his coffee down and began scanning through the different stations stores for a possible replacement for the relay. "They certainly are busy over there. I don't know if they'll be able to spare a relay."

"I don't want to get caught without one," Will replied, watching the lists scroll across the screen, "Unless you have another suggestion."

Sean grumbled slightly. "All of my contacts are along the Romulan border. Anything that I could get would take at least a week to get here, if we could find a ship already planning on coming this way."

"Contacts," Will repeated, quirking an eyebrow. Did this man work in operations or Starfleet Intelligence? All they needed was a simple relay that should be available to them in the shipyard storage. Maybe trusting first impressions wasn't such a good idea after all.

Sean looked up slightly, a thought flashing through his mind. Pulling up the Malinche cargo manifest, he began scanning. "If we could find a 7g-psf, we should be able to modify it just enough to make it fit the relay."

"We might have to Macgyver it a little, but that might do the trick," Will said, "and I'm sure we have one or two in Cargo Bay 1. We could be up there and back in five minutes." He started down the main bay of engineering, then paused to glance back and see if Hansen was coming. It would take two of them to do the install, especially now that they were planning on modifying a different part to do the same job.

Sean quickly jumped in step behind Will. It wasn't his norm to have to fall in behind someone else, but since this was still his first day on the Malinche, he figured he could just play along with things to see how they were done.

Entering the turbolift behind Will, Sean nodded to the crewman already in the lift and announced, "Cargo bay one." The doors closed behind him and the lift began to hum slightly as it sped through the hull of the ship.

"So," Will said, trying to make some small talk as the lift continued its journey, "What do you think of the Malinche so far?" It would be important for him to get to know Lieutenant Hansen because they would likely be working together quite frequently. If Will's experience thus far was any indication, there would never be a dull moment.

Sean thought his answer over before responding. "I think it's hard to say about the crew at this point, but the ship itself is a fine one. Many of the ships I've been on in the past have been more geared towards science so it's a nice change of pace to be on a heavy cruiser like the Malinche."

The car slowed to a halt and, as the doors opened, Will held out his arm to indicate that Hansen should lead the way. It would be better to make the man feel welcome. After all, Will didn't want Hansen to get the impression that he was spiteful over the change in assignment. In fact, he was quite interested to see what opportunities his new position had in store. What he did want, however, was to be sure that the man knew his stuff and, so far, it seemed that Hansen did.

Walking around the corner, Sean eyed the labels on all the doors until he came to the one with 'Cargo bay' written on the door. Tapping the door control, Sean entered the cargo bay and began looking around. "So, what kind of work have you done before coming to the Malinche?" he said, trying to get a better feel for one of the people he'd likely be working with for a long time.

"I've been in operations since I graduated Starfleet Academy," Will replied, searching the labels on the cargo containers for the one they were looking for, "I was actually supposed to be the chief ops officer on the Sirion, but we were attacked by a Borg Sphere. The Malinche rescued me and that's when I requested a transfer to serve under Captain Kersare."

Sean nodded, though Will likely couldn't see him from where he was. "The Borg? I have to say I haven't had the pleasure to deal with them yet, though from what I hear I wouldn't like the headache of them trying to assimilate the ship." he said, jokingly.

"Indeed," remarked Will, reaching to unclasp the lid of one of the cargo containers. He lifted the lid back and let it rest against the container behind the one he had just opened. Reaching inside, he dug around for a moment before pulling out the component they had been searching for. "Aha," he said with a smile, "We should get this back to engineering and begin the installation as soon as possible.

Sean walked over to where Will was standing with the piece they had been looking for. Taking a look at it, Sean nodded, "Yeah, that should work just fine for what we need."

Closing and securing the lid, Will started for the large double doors that lead back out into the corridor. Once this installation was complete, there wouldn't be much left to worry about until the Malinche set out again on another mission. It would be interesting to see what surprises would come their way or how they might decide to handle them.

Sean followed his predecessor out of the door, thinking to himself that this posting would prove to be a good one.

OFF:

A Post by:

Lt. Will Shultz (NPC)
Played by:

Lt. (JG) Aaron Masterson
Chief Sec/Tac Officer
USS Malinche

&
Lt. Sean Hansen
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche

Orlando Crew

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:48 pm

ON: [[White Star Lounge, USS Orlando, Station Day 04, 2240]]

It had been a slow night, but Jeff (NPC) didn't mind. He'd seen to a few of the regular customers, but he also understood that the Orlando was at a heightened state of alert and, from what he'd been hearing from the crew, warping to a possible conflict with the Elyshans. Such were the dangers of operating an establishment aboard ship. On the one hand, there could be a full house if the assignments were quiet, but the place could be empty if the crew was kept busy.

As was procedure, Jeff had been coordinating with ship security as well as the medical staff to ensure that his lounge would be prepared and ready to serve as an emergency shelter, should the need arise. All they had left to do now was wait to see what they would find when they arrived at Starbase 386. Jeff snapped a medkit shut and slid it next to the rows of glasses he had just cleaned. Glancing toward the large viewports, he could see the lone figure of Lieutenant Commander Tobias Naros standing there, watching the stars race past outside. The El-Aurian had been standing in his usual spot for nearly two hours already and Jeff knew enough when to give the man his space.

Quinn walked into the lounge, wearing his typical off-duty uniform. He had just put Jaden to sleep and wanted to grab a bite of something freshly made before catching his two or three hours of sleep. Walking up to the bar, Quinn looked around and saw Tobias standing by the window.

"Good evening, commodore," Jeff said with a welcoming smile on his face, "You look like you could use a little pick-me-up. What can I get you?"

Quinn nodded, eyes still on Tobias. "Whatever the special of the day is." he answered. As Jeff was turning towards the kitchen, Quinn grabbed his attention again. "Uh, Jeff... How long has he been standing there?" he asked, gesturing towards Tobias.

Pausing, Jeff glanced over at the El-Aurian, then back to Androski, his smile somewhat faded. "Only about two hours," Jeff replied, "But he hasn't said a word or had anything since he came in here."

Quinn sighed and looked over at Tobias again. "Let's put a hold on that special for now." Quinn said. "I'll be back in a bit."

"No problem," Jeff said. He may have known Lieutenant Commander Naros better than most aboard the Orlando, but the only person who could ever really get through to the El-Aurian when he was like this was the commodore. With a small smile, Jeff ducked into the kitchen to check on things there.

Quinn walked over to where Tobias was standing. He didn't like butting into his crew's lives, but he had learned long ago that when Tobias was thinking as deeply as he was now, there was something to be talked about. "Evening, Commander." he said, hoping not to startle him.

"Commodore," Tobias replied, not taking his eyes off the stars outside the viewport.

"Quite the view this evening." Quinn said, standing next to Tobias.

Tobias did not reply, but continued to watch the stars pass as the Orlando warped toward Starbase 386. Ever since they had received the transmission regarding the Elyshan fleet headed toward the frontier starbase, there had been no response to any attempts to contact the station. There was no telling what they would find when they arrived, especially considering the recent events that occurred in the Altorus system.

Quinn nodded, "Lot to think about tonight, I suppose."

"Indeed," the El-Aurian replied. He'd been standing there for almost two hours, maybe more, contemplating. It was an old habit, one that was not going to be broken any time soon. When there was something on his mind, he would often stay up late into the night, pondering it. Whether it was an El-Aurian trait or simply a personal one, he did not know.

Quinn sighed softly and nodded and turned towards the bar again. "I was going to grab a drink, would you like something?" he said, trying to get something more than a one word response from his friend.

"No," Tobias said, "Thank you. I will be fine." The El-Aurian continued to watch the stars out the window as he had been doing. There were no identifiable stars that would tell them how soon they would be arriving, but Tobias knew that they would know by the morning whether or not they were on the path toward another war.

Quinn shrugged slightly, and walked over to the bar. "I'll take a cup of Honey Tea." he said to the server who had just walked up. After a few moments, the server returned with the cup of tea and Quinn made his way back to Tobias.

Taking a sip of the tea, Quinn shook his head. "Things aren't the same as they used to be. I joined Starfleet to explore space and meet new species. Now thirty years later, I've seen a police action and a major war."

"Unfortunately, not every species you will find out here will be interested in the same peaceful goal," Tobias remarked, "There are some, like the Borg, who sought perfection through the assimilation of others. The Cardassians sought an alliance with the Dominion, believing it would bring them power, but instead, it left them a broken people. Now we face the threat of the Elyshans."

Quinn nodded. "I just hope we can avoid another battle. From the preliminary report I received on Altorus, we won but just barely. Most of the fleet that was there is at 386 for repairs, unfortunately most of them aren't in any shape to fight."

Nodding slowly, Tobias could tell that Quinn was just as concerned about what they would find when they arrived at Starbase 386, if not more so. It was known that the Elyshan Guard equipped their vessels with subspace shielding and subspace weaponry, both of which had a significant advantage over conventional systems and both of which were extremely dangerous because of their unstable nature. "I hear Lieutenant Deveraux is attempting to modify the navigational deflector to disrupt the Elyshans' shields," Tobias remarked. While he admired her enthusiasm, he doubted that any modifications made between their current location and Starbase 386 would have much effect against such a significant number of Elyshan vessels.

Quinn took a drink of his tea, thinking over everything that had happened over the past few days. The sweetness of the drink reminding him of his early childhood when his parents allowed him to have a small honey farm. "She is." he responded. "The theory is sound, but *if* she can get her modifications done by tomorrow, it'll probably burn out after the first shot... if that."

Thinking about the modifications that Deveraux intended to make to the Orlando's navigational deflector reminded Tobias of his first mission aboard the Orlando under Quinn's command. They had been ordered to escort the Elyshan delegation to the Quadrant Powers Summit on Starbase 386 when they were attacked by an Elyshan faction attempting to disrupt the talks. The use of a subspace weapon had somehow damaged the fabric of space-time enough that the Orlando had been thrown into a future where the Federation, the Romulan Empire, and the Klingon Empire were badly losing a war against the Elyshan Empire. It was not easy to reflect on the events that had led to such a disastrous war.

Quinn finished off his tea and sat the cup on a nearby table. It was quite soothing to watch the stars streak by, so he stood for a little while before saying, "You know you can come talk to me, whenever you need. No matter what it is."

"I understand," Tobias replied, still thinking about the events of the alternate future they had witnessed.

Quinn sighed, it was becoming obvious that he wasn't going to get Tobias to move and he needed to at least get a little sleep before entering the potentially hazardous situation they were heading into. "Well, Tobias, don't stay up too late. We're likely going to need your piloting skills in the morning."

"You'll have them," the El-Aurian assured his friend.

Quinn nodded slowly as he picked up the cup to return it. "Have a good evening, Commander." he said as he began to leave.

"Good night, commodore," Tobias replied quietly, continuing to watch out the window. Time was an unusual concept, something that was never really etched in stone. Rather, it was fluid and constantly in motion, always changing based on the decisions people made or the events that occurred. Only time would tell what awaited the crew of the Orlando in the morning and no amount of worrying would make that answer come sooner. They would just have to wait and see.

OFF

Commodore Quinn Androski
Commanding Officer
USS Orlando

and

Lt. Commander Tobias Naros
CFCO/Second Officer
USS Orlando
This is a post by a member of the USS Orlando's crew.
http://uss-orlando.kersare.net/trsm/index.php

N'rass
Senior Staff

Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:12 pm

<USS Malinche, Crew quarters, day 2, 1800>

L'Randil walked down the hallway to her quarters after eating a filling meal in the mess. The caitian hoped her relaxing day and visit to the counselor would help her insomnia even a little. She changed out of her uniform and settled onto the couch with a data padd, as was her normal routine. The cup of tea recommended to her by the counselor was in her hand.

At first the tea had a strange taste to her felinoid taste senses. After a few cringes, she decided to take the whole cup in one swallow. Whether or not the tea or the data had the effect, she soon found herself closing her eyes.

She often fell asleep on the couch, but it offered little comfort. This didn't matter right now, she was quickly in a dream. The dream was the same as she had many times before but this time she tried to control things a bit more.

This time as she walked across the top of the shuttle, she looked over her shoulder for the flying one, braced and held onto the step handles. The hot gasses singed her fur a little, but she didn't fall. Instead she hung on by her hands to the ladder until it passed, then pulled herself up.

She sighed and smirked. "Ok, now what." She said to herself in a somewhat victorious way. She sat with her legs dangling off the one side, looking around the large hangar bay. The large mine shuttle afforded a large view. After some time, a young pilot walked over. He stood under the nacelle strut that the mechanic was sitting on and waved.

"Hey, Randi." He shouted up. She looked down to him and smiled, though rolling her eyes a little. He had a tendency to try to hit on her, so it was their little unspoken agreement to banter.

"Yes, hotshot?" She replied.

"Permission to come aboard?" He turned back and forth impatiently.

"Granted." She laughed. When he got up and sat down next to her he continued.

"I probably shouldn't be saying this up here where you could really hurt me."

She flicked her tail and looked at the pilot."What, why would I hurt you other than you constantly coming onto me. A kitty can only take so much." She joked, as was her usual take on an uncertain situation.

"I just realized I almost killed you. I don't know what I would do if I did." He looked her in the eyes. She looked him in the eyes in return, though her gaze wasn't so friendly.

"That was YOU?" She stood up. "Why in the name of sense were you using main impulse in the hangar bay. You could have killed me yes. Worse yet you could have hurt me without killing me. You need to learn to control you hotshot flying tendencies and live by the procedures." She waved her arms as she ranted. He nodded, then stopped her.

"You don't live by the procedures either."

She froze.

"Yes," He continued. "If you were going by procedures, which this stinking shuttle company doesn't have many, you would have a belt harness attached to the lift rings and you would have a service scaffold, need I say more." He leaned back on his hands.

She got an annoyed look, then nodded in defeat. "You got me there. Don't do it again, let's leave it at that." She calmed down and sat down next to him again.

The evening continued pleasantly as she continued to dream. The only thing stopping it was the sound of the alarm clock the next morning.
Lieutenant JG L'Randil N'rass
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Peters
Senior Staff

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:37 pm

<<USS Malinche, Shuttle Bay, Day 2, 1600>>

One of the reports that come across Isabel's desk in the afternoon regarded the transfer of support craft. She'd been only mildly surprised about it, but her curiousity had finally gotten the best of her. Deciding a break would be a good idea, Isabel had made her way to the shuttle bay.

L'randil had been roaming around performing some diagnostics on the new crafts when the captain walked in. She smiled and walked around the shuttle to where the captain was, PaDD behind her back and hands together.

Peters came around the far end of the Type 11 shuttle, engrossed in his inspection of the craft's hull. Once satisfied that it was in good condition, he looked up and was surprised to see the Captain and L'Randil nearby. "Captain," He acknowledged. "Come to check up on the shuttle bay crew?"

"Good afternoon Ensign, Lieutenant," Isabel said. "How are things going? I hear we got some new support craft and switched some others out..."

L'Randil smirked. "Good riddance. These are much nicer choices." She ran a hand down the side of the delta flyer class unit, then looked to her superior officer.

Isabel smiled, "I was glad to hear we would be getting some new support craft. Have you had a chance to take a good look at them?"

L'Randil nodded. "I just did the basic systems diagnostic on this big hot one." She looked at the hull and smiled. "Nice to get a performer in here."

Peters smiled. He knew how L'Randil felt, but wouldn't have put it quite like that. He chose somewhat more professional terms to state his opinions in. "The biggest benefit, engineering-wise, is that we no longer have a non-standard ground vehicle to maintain along with the shuttles."

"Indeed. That ground vehicle was annoying." L'Randil commented. "Strange Terran vehicle." She muttered, then caught herself since she was in the presence of superior officers. Her outspokenness was still left over from her mining company days and took a lot to fight.

Chuckling slightly, Isabel said, "I'm sure it has its benefits under the right circumstances... But I think these support craft are a better option for us. I'm glad to hear they seem to be working out."

"So far, so good," Peters answered. "They even let us keep the Type 9s that Miss L'Randil just fixed for us. Of course, we haven't fully tested these new ones yet."

L'Randil smirked and put her hand up slightly. "Actually, Sir. I had a good shakedown on the Teno-kttlean? today. I still can't get that name straight." She said with some embarrassment. "It performed to specification."

"Ah, the Hunley class shuttle...Tenochtitlan. Where did you take it?" Truth be told, Isabel wouldn't have minded taking the shuttle for a spin, but what with the Taevon Summit she doubted she'd have time, at least for now. Perhaps another time though...

"We went down to the planet and explored an ocean um, 'trench'." L'Randil sounded uncertain about the term.

Isabel looked at her two engineers, "Have either of you seen or worked with a Hunley class before?"

"Seen? Yes," Peters answered. He then shrugged before continuing, "Worked with, not so much. They were put into general production about the time I came aboard the Malinche. I remember reading the information the ASDB sent out about them, but I'll need to brush up on the aquatic systems. My specialty is Quantum physics, not hydrodynamics."

L'Randil laughed. "Believe me, underwater is the last thing I had planned on when joining the fleet." Then she looked back at the shuttle. "That said, it was interesting."

"I would imagine so. I have to admit I'd like to try it out sometime, but I doubt there'll be time for that this time around," Isabel replied. She'd certainly heard about the Hunley class, but hadn't seen one with her own eyes until now.

"We should make it a point, Ma'am." L'Randil suggested.

Nodding, Isabel smiled, "Alright, perhaps the next time we have the chance the three of us could go, or two of us anyway... If either of you is up to it, that is."

Peters shrugged. "Being surrounded by water isn't that much different than being surrounded by space, Captain."

L'Randil shook her head. "With all due respect, I beg to differ. It was quite a different experience." Then she crossed her arms with a grin.

"So sayeth the giant cat!" Peters retorted with a smile. "I'll grant you, there aren't many fish in space, and space is neither blue nor green... but from the standpoint of how safe you are inside the hull of a shuttle, there's not much difference."

"This is true." L'Randil laughed. She hadn't heard the giant cat remark since the academy. In her species she was on the shorter side, so the remark amused her.

Isabel chuckled at the exchange between the Engineers. "Whenever I do end up having a chance to take out the Tenochtitlan I'll see if you're busy and we'll go from there. Anything else I should be aware of?"

"Not that I can think of off hand, Captain," Peters answered. "I'll be sure to let you know if anything comes up."

L'randil was starting to feel the effects of her lack of sleep and yawned. She tried to minimize it but her Caitian yawns were large mouthed by human standards. Peters smirked.

"You're not going to bite my head off, are you Ensign?" Peters asked, hoping it would be clear he was joking. "Because if you're hungry enough that I'm looking tasty, I'm sure we could replicate you something a bit more edible."

"Sorry, Sir." She laughed and winked at him. "Its just I haven't been sleeping well. Hopefully I can sleep better tonight."

Smiling at the engineers, Isabel said, "I don't want to keep you...if you need anything, I'm sure you can find me. Have fun with the new craft - just don't break it yet..." She winked, then with a nod she headed for the door.

L'Randil smirked, then saluted the captain.

Peters just smiled and headed back to what he'd been working on prior to the Captain's arrival. He had a good deal of work to get done before he'd take some time off himself. In fact, he considered everything that needed to be done for the repairs and refits and decided that he should try to set up a meeting with someone at the base or shipyard the next day.

OFF: This has been a Joint Post by:

Ensign L'Randil N'rass
Shuttle Maintenance Specialist
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

&

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

&
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Barrett
Senior Staff

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:33 pm

<<Starbase 386>>
<Promenade, 0915, Day 4>

Adam and Joey made their way through the thickening crowd. Already the promenade was getting jam packed with merchants, visitors, and various people going about their day. They made their way past several gem dealers and to the Blackhole Café, a place that Jason had been raving about. They found a table and sat down.

“Oh my god…is that who I think it is?” Joey asked.

“What?”

“That girl over there,” Joey pointed. “The tall, good looking blonde…I think it's Melissa Claymore.”

“And who is Melissa Claymore?” Adam asked. He searched his memory for that name, trying to come up with someone; although given Joey’s rather long line of ex’s he wouldn’t be surprised if Joey had forgot to mention her.

“I graduated high school with her.”

“Ah, did you use to date her?”

“No, although I always wanted to…”

“Why not?” Adam asked, taking the coffee that the waiter had brought over.

“Er, well it's sort of embarrassing but when I was in high school I was sort of a…well I think geek would be the right term. And she was so cute and popular…needless to say she didn’t have time for someone like me.”

Adam nearly spit coffee all over the table and Joey. Joey, a geek? That didn’t seem possible, all through their friendship; Adam had seen Joey pretty much get any girl that he wanted. Although that fact didn’t surprise him; Joey was certainly a looker with his athletic body, disarming smile, and charismatic personality. It was hard to believe that any girl would turn him down.

“You? A geek? I have a hard time believing that.”

“I was,” Joey shrugged. “I was overweight and out of shape and spent all my time watching old holo-dramas, playing around on subspace and with my nose crammed in my books. When I got to the academy I guess all that changed.”

“I am trying to imagine you as an overweight kid…you are the healthiest person that I know.”

“I am now,” Joey smiled.

“You’re all buff and ripped now, go over there and talk to her and I am sure that she would be more then happy to ravish you for the evening,” Adam smiled.

“Oh har har, you’re really funny.”

Adam was about to respond with an appropriate comment when someone coming into the café caused him to do a double take.

“Joey, is that…Jeremy?”

Joey’s head whipped around at the mention of Adam’s ex-boyfriend. The same boyfriend that turned out to be involved in some very big drug dealings and the same one that got Adam put in the hospital for a month with 3rd degree phaser burns.

“Wow, I think you are right…that is him.”

“What the hell is he doing here?” Adam asked.

“Apparently working for the Imperious Corporation.”

“Drug lords?” Adam asked. He had hoped that Jeremy would have been able to get himself out of trouble after he had been kicked out of Starfleet.

“Hardly,” Joey responded. “Imperious is one of the best known weapon and defense contractors out there. They work with the Federation, Vulcans, and even the Bajorans. Everything about them is on the up and up. I wonder what he is doing all the way out here though.”

“He looks good,” Adam stated, taking note of how he filled out the simple leather jacket that he wore. His hair was longer then Adam remembered it but it still seemed to compliment him well. He looked a little harder around the edges but all and all pretty healthy.

“No.”

“What?” Adam asked.

“You are not going to go over there and talk to him.”

“Why's that?”

“Because he put you in a hospital,” Joey snapped, his voice losing all traces of humor. “He didn’t spend every night at your side for a month and then the next three helping you get over him. He isn’t good for you Adam and never was. You have Jason now, remember him? The good looking executive officer that you want to adopt a kid with.”

“I’m not going to go running off with him,” Adam snapped, his reply came out harsher then he had intended.

“They why even talk to him?”

“We never really had all that much closure,” Adam stated. “There was that incident at the pier and then that message and I never saw him again.”

“He gave you 3rd degree phaser burns over your chest and back and then he was kicked out of the academy, what more closure do you really need?” Joey asked.

Adam could tell that he was upset; there were seldom things that upset Joey but anyone that would wound his best friend got shot up right to the top of the list. And you didn’t want to be on the top of Joey’s list for anything. He had won the academy boxing tournament the last three years he was at the academy.

“Joey…”

“No way man,” Joey stated, stabbing a finger at Adam. “Listen you go over there and you might end up screwing up the best thing that has ever happened to you.”

"I'm not going to say anything to him..."

"Nope. Not gonna happen."

Adam was about to protest when he turned around and saw that Jeremy was no longer standing there. Adam looked puzzled, at least before Joey slapped him lightly on the back of the head.

"Stop thinking about him and order something to drink, damn you."

OFF:

Lt. JG Adam Townsen
Medical Officer
USS Malinche

&

Lt. JG Joey Summers
Operations Officer
USS Malinche

Played by:
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Rho
Senior Staff

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:15 pm

ON: <Starbase 386, En Route to the Briefing Room, Day 3, 1337>>

Amaya (NPC) had been kind enough not giggle when Kaylin asked her to draw her a map to the Briefing Room. Kaylin studied it beforehand so she wouldn't be pulling it out every few minutes. The briefing was to start at 1400 hours and she was going to be a little early. But that was alright. She hoped to have a couple of minutes to meet one or two of the station personnel that she hadn't seen yet. As far as the briefing, she was told that the USS Malinche's Intelligence Chief was to relay knowledge they had on the Revok and the delegation from the Romulan Senate. This could prove to be an interesting meeting.

Raven'nik entered the briefing room and sat quietly, smiling inwardly that in her new job, she'd have to get used to this type of thing. Starfleet's almost pathological need to meet about every subject under the sun was one of the odder things Raven had been forced to get used since joining up. Still, the subject promised to be somewhat interesting.

Alexis was already in the briefing room doing what she does best before such things; picking names, positions, and personalities, out of minds as people walked in. Shivers went up her spine as the doors swished open and someone stepped in. Her focus was momentarily drawn from Raven. This was a type of mind that she had never encountered before. Long life, wisdom, but no logic. Well, the extent of Vulcan logic. Not Vulcan, she thought. She turned to face the woman. El-Aurian! Of course. So the Fleet has an El-Aurian for a diplomat.

Kaylin stopped for a split second and looked as if she'd just remembered something she'd long forgotten. She looked at Rho, smiled, and nodded her head.

Alexis nodded in return, as stoic as ever.

Despite all that was going on aboard 386, what with the various delegations arriving for the Taevon Summit, the repairs being done on the vessels that had participated in the Battle of Altorus, and the personnel transferring to or from the station, Arthur felt that making time to attend a briefing on the delegation from the Romulan Empire was worth his time. Thomas (NPC) had offered to go in his place, but Arthur had declined. If the Chief Intelligence Officer of the USS Malinche had something to say about the Romulan Empire's delegation, he would be most interested in hearing it. Hopefully, the information would better help him to accommodate the growing number of delegations aboard the station and give him some insight as to how to relieve some of the tension that was building.

The station's first officer entered the briefing room, nodding politely to those already present. He noticed an empty chair next to Chief Raven and moved to fill it. "Good afternoon, chief," Arthur said as he sat down.

"Commander," Raven said with a small smile, silently happy to see someone she recognized.

Lange walked into the Briefing room a little before 1400 and noted that Richardson had, once again, managed to beat him to a common destination. The man must have committed the station's layout to memory as soon as he'd learned of the transfer. With a smile that showed his strained tolerance of all the meetings he'd already had to sit through in the past two days, Lange walked around the table to where he saw Richardson and Raven'nik already seated. And he had more delegates to greet this afternoon. He made a mental note to delegate that job to Kenah in the future.

"Doc, Raven," Lange greeted the pair as he sat down next to Richardson. He then nodded in turn to the Kenah and Rho. "Miss Kenah, Miss Rho."

"Captain," nodded Lt. JG Kenah in return.

Alexis tilted her head to the right and silently nodded to Captain Lange. Not wanting to disappoint anyone, she hid her emotions and put on a typical Intelligence officer persona. That, and she knew this crew about as well they knew her. She wasn't going to 'open up' and let them see anything but a Starfleet Intelligence officer.

Caroline literally ran to the briefing room having just left her daughter with the task of getting the rest of their personal items out of storage. Despite having run all the way her hair remained firmly in place in it’s smart French plait and her face was far from flushed. Stopping just outside the briefing room doors she regained her composure and entered, knowing that like it or not, this would also be the first time her commanding officer would be meeting her.

Taking note that everyone who was supposed to be here had arrived, she gave them a few minutes to get through the greetings and how-are-you's before turning to Captain Lange. "Whenever you're ready, sir."

"It's your show, Lieutenant," Lange replied. "I'm ready to listen whenever you're ready to talk."

Alexis had already done this on Malinche. This time, though, she had a different plan of attack. She turned to the table, "Your attention, please." She pressed a button on her PADD that brought up the emblem of the Romulan Star Empire on the screen. "We all know about the alliance during the Dominion War and we should be familiar with the Shinzon Incident. Thanks to those two events, relations with the Romulans aren't as strained as they used to be. However, they are still Romulans. Discussion typically isn't in their repertoire. Yet they're here."

Caroline looked at Alexis. “A rather broad cultural stereotype there don’t you think? Lest we forget that with the Romulan Empire where the Praetor leads, the people will follow and the Praetor will only lead in a direction that their military allies will support.” Caroline turned to look at a couple of confused faces at the table. “Racial and individual profiling is something of a hobby.”

"Profiling provides little insight on culture, as it is based heavily on perceived stereotypes," Arthur remarked, being somewhat an expert in the field of Cultural Studies, "Let us not forget that there are at least two Romulan delegations present for this Summit: that of the Romulan Star Empire and that of the Romulan Imperial State. It's best not to get them confused."

Alexis nodded toward the Commander.

Lange took in the information presented, along with the commentary of his officers, without saying anything. He kept his focus on the matters at hand and all of the security issues that those matters entailed, but one small corner of his mind continually played an image of him punching Admiral Meyer straight in the nose. One thing was clear to him, however: Having this many Romulans on his station would make him nervous in the best of times... and this was not the best of times.

Continuing, she said, "First, the players. This is the Revok, a D'deridex class Warbird." An image of the Revok appeared on the screen. "Her leadership, Commander T'maekh (NPC) and Sub-Commander Kayrel (NPC)." The image of the Revok shrunk and moved over as images of T'maekh and Kayrel appeared. "They both seem fairly cordial as per the diplomatic dinner on the Malinche. But Kayrel partook in less of the conversations than the others. Their job was to deliver the delegate of the Romulan Star Empire,…" Images of Senator Vrenik (NPC) and his aides, Valara (NPC) and Marek (NPC) faded into view. "…Senator Vrenik. These are his aides, Valara and Marek."

“I assume as per standard practice the Senator is traveling with an honor guard? It would be highly unusual for a high ranking member of government to do an off world jaunt without personal security of some form.” Caroline remarked standing up and walking over to get a closer look at Vrenik. She wasn’t trying to muscle in on the lieutenant’s presentation; she just found she always thought better on her feet.

Alexis addressed the question without looking at Roscoe. "These are unusual times. There was no honor guard. It was just the Senator, his aides, and a Romulan Warbird filled with soldiers loyal to the Romulan Star Empire. No Remans were around and many of the Romulan Guard, along with much of the military, gave their loyalty to Donatra (NPC) and the Romulan Imperial State. Regarding internal affairs, there are three factions involved. Number one, the Romulan Star Empire, which has more of the industrial base and populace under its control. Number two, the Romulan Imperial State, which has the backing and power of most of the military. And number three, the Remans, who want, in the very least, direct representation in the government. Each faction has it's own goals and views in mind. Especially regarding this Summit."

She looked at the Commander and Captain. "And if I understand correctly, the Romulan Imperial State has been far more cooperative in almost all matters with the Federation."

"I would call that an understatement," Lange said. "Praetor Tal'Aura is suspicious of anything that even remotely involves the RIS, thinking the entire thing is a bid by Donatra to seize control of Romulus. She may be right, but Donatra's government has been very open to our diplomatic advances, especially when they are made in combination with aid for some of the poorer Romulan colony worlds."

Lange cleared his throat before continuing, "I believe that we would be at or near war with the Romulan Empire in reaction to our close relations with the RIS if not for one simple, and for us fortunate, fact: Donatra holds the loyalty of over 90% of the military. Tal'Aura knows she can't afford a war with her own people or with the Federation, much less both. What I don't think she's quite realized is that if Donatra wanted to be Praetor, she'd have taken the post by force already."

"Commander Donatra does not seek power," Arthur agreed, "From what we have heard her say officially and what we have seen in her actions, she only seeks that which is in the best interests of her people. I doubt that she would choose this time, if any, to start a civil war within the empire."

"Keeping that in mind, you must know the following. Senator Vrenik is a radical voice within the Star Empire. He is passionate and extreme in his views, which seem to fit more in line with the Imperial State. He believes less secrecy and isolationism, technologically, politically, and militarily, are the old ways of an old world. He believes that if the Empire is to survive the coming storm, they will have to be even more open than what they were in the Dominion War. The other Senators consider him to be…how do humans put it…cavalier. Suffice it to say that not everybody shares his opinion."

“A regular Gorbachev in the making.” Caroline mused looking at the man and taking a closer look at his aides.

"Indeed Commander," Lange said thoughtfully. "I haven't spoken with him yet, but he strikes me as somewhat of an idealist. He wants to change the Empire for the better from within, and that's nothing out of the ordinary... but his vision of what is better for the Empire seems very similar to Donatra's. I have to wonder if he hasn't had some dealings with her in the past."

Kaylin, who had been silent up to this point, said, "It's very possible, Captain. Speaking from a purely diplomatic standpoint, most political leaders believe it in their best interest to remain on good grounds with their military. Concerning the Empire's current state of affairs, I'd presume that at least one member of the Senate would want to keep proper decorum with the Imperial State. Which could indicate why Donatra hasn't exercised force already."

"Which brings us to our final, and most important, point. We believe there to be a traitor or assassin on the Revok whose assignment is to kill Senator Vrenik. It is very likely that he or she is now aboard Starbase 386. And we don't want to spook him…or her."

Caroline turned to look at Lange. “I know we’ve just met and you have yet to weigh me up sir, but I would recommend random room sweeps and changes to the Senators accommodations.” Caroline paced over to the replicator “Espresso, Kenyan blend, double shot, hot.” She ordered before turning back to look at Lange. “I’d also suggest Diplomatic grade two close protection protocols at all times, 4 man armed escort with the Senator, plus plain clothes close observers. No un-encoded transmissions regarding the Senator, randomization of his routine, it would also probably be wise to do background checks on anybody who has boarded the station within the last 72 hours.” Caroline drained her cup of the hot espresso and grimaced. “And if we can get somebody to make a decent cup of replicated coffee that’ll be the icing on the cake.”

With a frown, Arthur observed the Romulan visages on the viewscreen and pondered for a moment. "Respectfully, commander, I disagree," he said, looking to Roscoe, "Ensign Gates (NPC) and I took the possible risks to the delegates into account when arranging their accommodations. In all honesty, we are all at risk, being this close to Elyshan space. The moment we start pointing fingers at each other or protecting ourselves from one another, we lose the ability to focus on the importance of this Summit."

“If you’ll excuse my bluntness and I mean no disrespect to you or Mr Gates work, but frankly, you’re not the Chief of Security of this station Commander, I am. My primary concern is for the safety of its crew and the hundreds of visitors who embark and disembark this station everyday, which includes all of the summit delegates. These recommendations are not aimed at pointing fingers or causing a situation that will pull focus from the importance of this summit, but rather they are aimed at preventing a blood bath that will overshadow everything that this summit stands for.” Caroline turned to look at Lange “All high risk targets should be placed under grade two close protection Captain. The risk of assassination from interested parties alone, before you even start to take into account opportunist groups who would see an attack on a highly visible diplomat as a gift horse to push their own political agenda out into the open is too high to ignore.”

Caroline was pushing her case but she felt with every fiber of her soul that what she was campaigning for was right. In her seven years at Starbase 227 she had been involved in over 80 high profile political meetings as was the nature of the station with no less than 8 of them having been involving the Federation President herself. Caroline knew what she needed to do in these cases and she just hoped that Lange appreciated that fact.

"Naturally, commander," Arthur replied calmly, respecting the woman's dedication to her office, "I shall have Thomas provide a copy of our current arrangements and the factors contributing to those decisions for your review. Perhaps together we might find a solution that balances all the needs of this situation."

Lange sighed, and held up a hand to forestall the continuation of the debate. He looked around the table, meeting the gaze of each of his officers in turn. "Thank you, Doc, Commander Roscoe. I will tell you the truth... From a security standpoint, I'd like nothing better than to put this station under a complete security lock-down for the duration of the conference. Unfortunately, from both a personnel and a diplomatic standpoint, that's impossible."

Kaylin spoke up. "I agree, sir. If the diplomats and representatives from the other major powers see a complete security lock-down of the station, they could get nervous, suspicious, and possibly irate. The resulting atmosphere could give the assassin exactly what he needs and wants – confusion, blame-shifting, and a possibly failed summit. Imagine if we were on a Romulan station for this Summit and it was in complete security lock-down. Personally, my first thought would be 'captured'."

"However," Lange continued, "We will be taking precautions. All levels above the Promenade are restricted to Starfleet personnel with security clearance Rating 3 or higher, the delegates, and their aides. ALL visitors to the base will be screened for hidden weapons when they come aboard. The crew of the visiting ships will be allowed to keep whatever items are part of their normal equipment, but energy weapons will have to be registered with the station's computer system and locked on a stun-level setting. Bladed weapons will have to be peace-tied or left behind. No weapons will be allowed on the Promenade or in the public gathering areas in the crossover bridges. Commander Roscoe, set up check-points at the necessary locations to carry out that order."

Tapping a quick summary of the orders he was giving into a PADD, Lange continued, "Each of the delegates will be issued an escort. Unfortunately, even with the help of the Malinche's security personnel, I don't believe we can manage more than 2 security officers per delegate... at least, not if we expect the security personnel to get any sleep. I'd also like to increase the frequency of security patrols across the station, but I'm afraid you'll need to deputize more of the permanent civilian population to do that. If you do, my understanding is that Chief Raven is an excellent Phaser Range Proficiency instructor."

Raven raised an eyebrow, obviously not happy at having a bunch of civilians running around with weapons. "Acknowledged. I can get people up to a basic level of proficiency in a short time, but civilians with weapons... that's a different situation."

Alexis was letting the station staff sort out their problems before she spoke. "Captain Lange, Lt. Commander Roscoe, if you need more eyes-on-delegates, I and the Malinche's Intelligence staff are at your disposal, as long as we're here, that is. We might be small, but my agents are very effective." She gave that mischievous smile that most Starfleet Intelligence agents like to flaunt. Glancing down at Raven'nik, "And I've got no problem putting them through the Chief's phaser training if required. They are very proficient."

Raven nodded and smiled, though the smile did not reach her eyes. Ever since the briefing began, something about this whole situation felt 'wrong'. A vague feeling of dread seemed to hang about the room, and the Chief could find no source for it. Annoyed at her own over-active imagination, she shrugged it off as some subconscious distrust of Intelligence personnel, a belief both unfounded and unfair to the woman leading the briefing. At least, that's what she told herself.

"I'll let you ladies work out who gets assigned where. And if you don't feel comfortable arming the civilian deputies then don't... just make sure the secure areas remain secure. And we can hope that there either is no assassin or that we catch them before they can go any kind of damage," Lange said.

Lange was about to thank everyone for their input and opinions when the Red Alert klaxon sounded and the room's light's dimmed. Before he could call to Ops for a status report, Lange heard a voice he didn't recognize (one of many) coming over the intercom.

"Red Alert. All hands to battle stations. Civilians report to combat shelters. Captain Lange to Ops. Repeat: Red Alert. All hands to battle stations. Civilians to combat shelters. Captain Lange to ops."

Raven was out of her chair and moving toward the door in nearly one motion, moving to a spot away from the others. She tapped her commbadge. "Raven'nik to Arios."

=/\= "Arios here. We're way a head of you Chief. The Armory is on a level one tactical lock-down and all areas report secure. Jassik's got a team issuing phasers to security personnel in critical areas as we speak." =/\= the young Andorian said in his sibilant voice.

The Chief smiled to herself, proud of her Armory staff. "Good job." She took a moment and shared a look with Lange. No words passed between them, but the message was clear. "Mind the store Arios. I'll be in Ops if you need me," she said into the comm, never taking her eyes off Lange.

=/\= "Aye Chief, Arios out." =/\=

OFF: This has been a Joint Post by:

Chief Petty Officer Raven'nik
Armory Master/Command Chief
Starbase 386

and

Lieutenant, JG Kaylin Kenah
Chief Diplomatic Advisor
Starbase 386

and

Lt Commander Caroline Roscoe
Chief Security Officer
Starbase 386

and

Commander Arthur Richardson
Executive Officer
Starbase 386

and

Captain James Lange
Commanding Officer
Starbase 386 - TF22
Horizon Fleet

and
Lieutenant JG Alexis Rho
Chief Intelligence Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
"My mind is the only sanctuary that has not been stolen from me. People have tried to breach it before, but I've learned to defend it vigorously, for I am only safe with my innermost thoughts."

Orlando Crew

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:16 pm

ON: [[USS Orlando, Bridge, Station Day 4, 1350 hours]]

Quinn sat in his chair, reviewing readiness reports from all of the departments and decks. While he'd normally have done this in his ready room, Quinn felt he had spent enough time in there over the past few days and wanted to stay on the bridge.

Once again, Turok (NPC) was on the bridge at the Science station. He knew Alyssa (NPC) wouldn't have been comfortable there and the bridge wasn't really Rokan's (NPC) favorite place either. The Vulcan, however, didn't mind and truthfully felt it was his duty. Since coming onto the bridge, Turok had been running sensor sweeps on regular intervals, but thus far hadn't picked up anything. He most certainly hoped it stayed that way.

Janis (NPC) stood at her console, alert. Knowing what they were potentially encountering, she couldn't afford to be bored or to not care. In her mind, an indication of the seriousness of the situation was Quinn's presence on the bridge. Janis hadn't seen the Commodore on the bridge regularly the past few days, until today. Her eyes moved back down to her display - thus far, no other ships in range.

Frowning slightly, Jason (NPC) glanced around the bridge from the Operations station. As far as he could tell, everything was still running at optimal rates. After the news about the Elyshans, Jason had set up a new Ops routine that would optimize the primary and sub-routines for a potential encounter for the Elyshans. He could easily switch to it with one press of his finger...so for now he was just plain bored, again. Nothing different than the day before for him.

Sophie entered the bridge in mid-conversation with her communicator. "Well check it again, there has to cause of it. Take Daniels with you." She motioned toward the replicator. "Coffee, Deveraux Variant 3, Milk instead of Cream." The mug replicated and she sat down with it.

"Afternoon, lieutenant," Tobias said in his calm voice, passing by her station on his way from the auxiliary console he had been working at to the helm. He could tell that she was anxious, like most of the crew, and that she was projecting that anxiety in the form of stress and a drive to do better.

Sophie responded, "There's nothing good about it Commander."

"Indeed," Tobias replied, remaining calm as he approached the crewman currently manning the helm. Gently tapping the young woman on the shoulder, the El-Aurian waited for her to secure the station and rise before slipping into the chair to relieve her. It didn't take him long to assess the familiar controls and their current status.

"We are now entering sensor range of Starbase 386, sir," he announced over his shoulder toward the center of the bridge.

Quinn set his padd on the armchair. He looked from Tobias to Marcus, and finally towards Jason (NPC) at the ops position. "What do we see, Ensign?" he asked, not entirely certain he wanted to know the answer.

Jason looked over at the Commodore, "Our systems are operating within normal ranges, sir."

"Commodore! The Elyshan Fleet is now entering the Aldani system," Janis' eyes moved from her console to the Commodore and back again. Her display had lit up like a Christmas tree...not a good thing in this case.

Attempting to swallow his fear, Quinn nodded. "Mr. Naros, estimated time until we reach the starbase?"

A quick check of his readouts told Tobias that their arrival could not come soon enough. "ETA twelve hours at current speed," he replied, knowing that wasn't the answer that Androski was looking for.

Quinn shook his head, "This will all be over by then. We need to get there faster. Miss Deveraux, increase power to the warp drive. Warp 9.9."

Sophie turned around, "Best she'll do is 9.6 without fracturing the Dilithium Matrix Captain. If you want your weapons by the time we arrive, I suggest not straining her too much."

Looking over at the Engineer, Janis frowned. She did not like the idea of going into a fight without weapons and shields ready. One of the bad things about these older classes of ships. Shaking her head, she went back to monitoring the tactical systems and keeping her eye on any other vessels that might be in the area.

Quinn shook his head, slightly angrily. "Warp 9.9, Lieutenant. We've gotta have faith that she'll hold together at least until we get to the starbase. Have your engineering teams start rerouting emergency backups to weapons."

Hearing the order, Turok raised an eyebrow but remained silent. Certainly time was of the essence, but it would not do any good if they only arrived in time to get blown up. However, there was the chance that the matrix would be alright...the Vulcan turned his eyes back to his console as he calculated the probability in his head.

She sighed, "Understood." She then thought to herself. 'I'm never going to get this ship running the way I want it.' She thought to herself.

Glancing over his shoulder toward the disgruntled chief engineer, Tobias could understand her frustration. The Orlando, while in good condition thanks to the care she had been given over the years, was still a rather old starship. It was often unwise to push vessels so close to their limits except under unique circumstances. There was no doubt in anyone's mind that this situation qualified as a unique circumstance. It could very well be that the lives of every individual at Starbase 386 depended on the Orlando arriving sooner than later.

The El-Aurian faced forward again and turned his attention to the readouts on his own console. While the Orlando was only rated for an emergency velocity of Warp 9.6 for twelve hours, Tobias had a few tricks up his sleeve that might give them a few advantages. His hands danced across the helm with expert precision. As the Orlando pushed toward Warp 9.9, the ship began to shudder and buffet. Tobias attempted to compensate with a few slight modifications to the warp field configuration and the buffeting lessened slightly.

Shaking his head, Jason quickly brought up the allocation prioritization screen. He might be able to buy them some leeway if he shifted resources around. Engineering functions and helm had to take top priority for now. It might give them enough to keep everything together until they reached the base.

Quinn's face turned to one of somber angst so he stared into the viewscreen, ignoring the slight shaking of the ship as it hurled itself through space much faster than it was supposed to.

OFF:

A post by:

Commodore Quinn Androski
CO, USS Orlando

Lt. Commander Tobias Naros
CFCO/2XO, USS Orlando

Lieutenant Sophie Deveraux
CEO, USS Orlando

&

Lieutenant Aniela Darvetti
CSO, USS Orlando
This is a post by a member of the USS Orlando's crew.
http://uss-orlando.kersare.net/trsm/index.php

Starbase 386 Crew

Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:50 pm

ON: <Starbase 386, Ops, Day 3, 1432>

Lange stepped off the turbolift and into Ops, followed closely by Richardson and Kenah. The Red Alert klaxons practically screamed, bringing back the headache that Lange had been fighting all day. Stepping down to the Situation Table, Lange called out, "Report!"

Still trying to recover from the shock he had just received, Thomas (NPC) managed to blurt out, "A Scimitar-class warbird has just decloaked within the defense perimeter." He tapped in a few commands at the station he had been working at before rushing down the stairs to transfer the information to the central command table.

Arthur did not waste any time in taking up his position at the command table, although he continued to maintain an air of calm amidst the klaxons and rapid response of the station personnel. Indeed, the sudden appearance of a Scimitar-class warbird, a formidable vessel, to say the least, this close to the station without being detected was very disconcerting. The experienced officer glanced down at the readouts before him and took a brief stock of the situation. This close to the Elyshan Border and with delegations already present for the Taevon Summit, determining the intent of the warbird was top priority.

Kaylin was just as surprised as everyone else. The Remans weren't on any guest list she had seen. It was unsettling that they had managed to so close to the station. What Kilana had said this morning at breakfast was true, she wasn't going to be bored here.

The turbolift stopped at Ops and Kilana stepped off. She glanced around the room quickly, noting who was already there. Quickly she moved to the Engineering console and took her position. Kilana had to admit to being caught off guard when she heard they'd detected a warbird that hadn't been on their list of vessels that would be coming for the Summit. Her fingers moved quickly as she checked readiness of the station's systems. "Shields are up, Captain, and are at 100%."

"Sure, why not," Lange muttered. "We've already got a D'Deridex and a Valdore orbiting us, why not make it a complete set?" As he spoke, Lange realized that checking what the other Romulan ships were doing might give him some insight on the situation. "Raven, take Tactical. How are our other guests reacting?"

Raven stepped to the console and consulted the readings for a moment. Her heart beat slightly faster with excitement. "Sir the Revok is assuming a defensive posture, powering disruptors and shields. The Kaldon is holding position, no apparent reaction," she said evenly, though her eyes held a question.

Lange nodded. That meant either the RIS delegation was expecting this new arrival or that they didn't feel threatened by their arrival. He turned towards Richardson and Kenah. "Thoughts?"

"Considering the relations that the Romulan Imperial State has been fostering with the Reman people, particularly in the establishment of at least one free Reman colony, and the reaction of the Revok, one might assume that the presence of the Remans would be quite controversial," Arthur replied, glancing up at the viewscreen as he spoke, "I wonder if they are not simply interested in participating in the summit; seeking a voice, as it were."

"I agree," said Kaylin. "They may just want to be represented in this summit as well. If nothing more, than to make sure they aren't swept under the rug and their fate isn't decided by either faction of the Romulans." She paused a second and studied the three ships. The D'deridex class taking defensive a position while the Valdore class remained motionless. "The Remans may be few in number, but their military power is more than apparent. It could unintentionally appear to the Revok and Romulan Star Empire that the RIS is claiming to have the Reman ships on their side in this discussion. If that were the case…"

Kilana listened closely to what the others were saying. Regardless of intentions, she didn't take it as a good sign that Remans had shown up without being formally invited. At the very least, they could have requested an invitation, but that wasn't likely their way. She monitored the readouts on her console - surprisingly everything seemed to be at normal levels, for the time being.

"Raven, status of the Reman Warbird's weapons and shields?" Lange asked. If the Remans wanted to take part in the conference he wasn't going to refuse them, but he also wasn't going to add them while under the threat of their disruptors. It wasn't good policy if you wanted fair and open negotiations to start off by giving in to a threat of force.

"Sir the Reman Warbird has assumed a defensive posture - shields raised and disruptors offline." She looked up and spoke as she saw the question in Lange's eyes. "No Thalaron radiation detected sir," she said, answering the question on all their minds. Despite this, the news brought cold comfort. Still the feeling that something was 'wrong' about all this nagged at the Chief as she awaited orders.

Lange nodded. "Stand down Red Alert. Open a channel to the Reman vessel. If they want to talk we'll talk. And someone get me the Kaldon's captain. He and I need to have a little talk."

Hearing James' orders, Kilana modified the base's alert status from Red to Yellow. Glancing down at her console, she confirmed that the shields were indeed still up. Even though the Remans didn't have their disruptors online, Kilana still felt uneasy. She definitely did not want to be putting the base back together so soon after the assignment...

With a nod from Commander Richardson, Thomas (NPC) made a note on his PADD to arrange a meeting with the Kaldon's captain. He wasn't sure what Captain Lange wanted to discuss with the Romulan commander, but he was pretty sure that he was not going to envy the man who had to be in that meeting. As soon as he finished making the note, he keyed a command into his station at the table and glanced at the readouts that came across the display.

The viewscreen switched from an external view of the warbird to the dark interior of her bridge. Shadowy figures moved about in the background, going about their tasks, as a single individual's haunting visage commanded the center of focus. It had always been ironic to Arthur that the Reman species so closely resembled the vampire's of Earth lore. Perhaps it was not surprising, then, that Romulans and humans found Remans to be haunting or believed them to be, in some way, evil.

A bit unnerved at the sight of the Reman bridge, Kilana's eyes stayed glued on the screen. She felt the almost indiscernible hum from the console under her fingertips, but couldn't bring herself to look down at the display, at least not yet. She waited to see what would happen.

"Captain Lange" the Reman said in a slow, deep tone that sounded almost gruff, "We are here to represent the Reman people."

Lange wasn't surprised by the statement. He hadn't seen a Reman in person before and he was rather amazed just how pale they actually were. Of course, a lifetime underground on the dark side of a tide-locked planet would do that to even the most colorful species. It took him only a moment to size up the Reman commander before he replied. "Welcome to Starbase 386. You have me at a disadvantage, sir. Please identify yourself and your vessel."

"I am Ambassador Kar'zak and this is the warbird Voltaik," the Reman on the viewscreen replied. "We are here to participate in the Taevon Summit and speak for the Reman people."

Lange nodded. He had assumed that was the case once it had been determined that the Voltaik was not in an aggressive posture. "Welcome, Ambassador. I'm afraid we were not given any notice that you were coming, and I will need a few moments to make the necessary arrangements."

Lange almost signaled for the transmission to be suspended, but then thought better of it. He may as well try and be as diplomatic as possible right from the start. "Ambassador," he continued, "I'm afraid we are unable to accommodate your vessel at any of our docking ports, but if you would care to bring a shuttle or transport over, I will have the arrangements made by the time you arrive."

OFF: This has been a Joint Post with:

Ambassador Kar'zak (NPC)
Reman Delegate
As Played by: Richardson

&

Ensign Thomas Gates (PNPC)
Executive Officer's Yeoman
As Played by: Richardson

&

Chief Petty Officer Raven'nik
Armory Master & Command Chief
Starbase 386

&

Warrant Officer 1st Class Kilana Nira
Starbase 386

&

Lieutenant, Junior Grade Kaylin Kenah
Chief Diplomatic Advisor
Starbase 386

&

Commander Arthur Richardson
Executive Officer
Starbase 386

&

Captain James Lange
Commanding Officer
Starbase 386 - TF22
Horizon Fleet

Starbase 386 Crew

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:58 pm

ON: <Fighter Patrol, 1/2 light-year from SB386, Day 4, 1220>

Commander Anthony Meyer checked his readouts again before keying his comm. "Slowpoke to Ladies' Man, I'm not picking up anything here. Are you sure about that transmission?"

A moment later the voice of his wingman cracked in Meyer's ear. "Affirmative, Slowpoke, it's gone now, but my sensor records confirm it was a transmission on an Elyshan frequency."

Meyer nodded to himself as he considered his options. The fighters were out here on patrol to give advance warning if an Elyshan fleet showed up. An Elyshan transmission inside Federation space indicated that one had, indeed, showed up, even though they weren't picking in anything up. Of course, a Fighter's passive sensors were pretty limited and if that fleet was employing any sort of cloak or sensor masking...

Deciding it was worth the risk, Meyer keyed his comm again. "Ladies' Man, Slowpoke. Engage active sensors and give me a sweep from bearing 025 to bearing 335."

There was a single click over the comm line to indicate acknowledgment of the order. That was followed by silence. After a few moments Meyer began to wonder if they were all jumping at shadows. Just as he completed that thought, his earpiece crackled again.

"Slowpoke, Ladies' Man. I'm reading an Elyshan Fleet at bearing 012 mark 3. Roughly 2 light-years distance and closing at high warp."

"Count?" Meyer asked immediately as he started doing calculations in his head.

"I can't get an exact reading, they're jamming us, but it's at least one hundred ships, probably more," came the immediate reply.

Meyer didn't bother to acknowledge that report as he activated his subspace tranceiver and sent out a hail to 386. He swore loudly as he received static in response. "Ladies' Man, we're being jammed. We're going to have to take this report in the old fashioned way. Return to 386, maximum warp."

"Aye, sir," the other pilot replied. "But even at top speed, we're only going to get there a few minutes ahead of them."

"Then I suggest," Meyer said as he flipped switches and pressed keys on his control board, "That you get a nap on the way home, because we're probably going to be needed on a defensive screen when we get there. Maximum warp, engage."

With another flipped switch and a few key presses Meyer had his course laid in. He used the control stick to swing his fighter around to the correct orientation and checked his scope to make sure that Ladies' Man was following suit. He was as glad as ever that someone with sense had designed the fighter's cockpit and not installed the LCARS panels found in shuttles. A combat pilot needed to know he'd entered his command by feel, he couldn't spare the time in a situation like this to look at every panel and make sure he'd tapped the panel hard enough.

As soon as his fighter was oriented correctly Meyer pushed the throttle forward and the stars were obscured by the Cerenkov radiation streaks that indicated Warp speed.

OFF:

Commander Anthony "Slowpoke" Meyer (PNPC)
Wing Commander/Gold Dragon 1
Starbase 386

"Ladies' Man" (NPC)
Gold Dragon 2
Starbase 386

As played by:

Captain James Lange
Commanding Officer
Starbase 386

Starbase 386 Crew

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:29 pm

<<Starbase 386, Promenade, Day 3, 0720>>

It was still fairly early, but Kilana wanted to get something to eat before she went to check on the Engineers. It was odd not having a designated Engineering section, but she would likely get used to it. Kilana was torn between actually eating somewhere or simply stopping by a replicator, so she paused to consider it while bringing out her PADD.

It was going to take Kaylin quite a few days to get used to the large expanse that was Starbase 386. Her first Starfleet life had been on ships. Recently, she'd been at a small outpost. The change to 386 was welcome. She shifted her thoughts back to what was most important at the moment, finding the Promenade and some breakfast. She had been weaving her way through the maze, looking for anyone, for about seven minutes now. Rounding the next corner, she spotted a woman in services gold. "Excuse me," she said smiling, "but could you help a directionally challenged newcomer find her way to the Promenade?"

The young woman looked up. "Certainly, ma'am. Your closer than you think, it's just down the corridor and to your left."

"Thanks," replied Kaylin.

A few minutes later, she entered the Promenade and found that there were quite a few choices. Kaylin looked over and saw a Warrant Officer First Class studying a PADD. She walked over and said, "I hope work hasn't gotten to you already, it's still somewhat early."

Kilana glanced up from her PADD at the woman, "Well, I was trying to decide whether to have breakfast somewhere on the Promenade or to just find a replicator once I go see some of the Engineers... So, not really work."

"Good," Kaylin replied. "Starting work before breakfast just shouldn't happen."

Extending her hand, Kilana said, "I'm Warrant Officer First Class Kilana Nira, Chief Engineering Officer for the base." Based on the woman's purple uniform, she surmised that the woman was one of the station's diplomats.

Kaylin shook Kilana's hand. "Pleasure to meet you. I’m Lieutenant JG Kaylin Kenah, the new Chief Diplomatic Advisor. You know, I was just on my way down for some breakfast. You're welcome to join me if you like. Besides, I could use a good recommendation on a place to eat."

"Pleasure to meet you as well, Lieutenant," Kilana smiled. "That sounds great...I have to admit I haven't had the chance to visit every establishment yet, but I have been to Flanagan's, and I've heard good things about Rosie's and the Black Hole Cafe..."

"Flanagan's it is then," said Kaylin. "So, are you part of the Peacekeeper crew that is newly assigned here or have you been here for a while?"

Kilana started off in the direction of Flanagan's as she replied, "I was part of the Peacekeeper crew. Being assigned here...especially having no idea that that was what would happen has been..interesting. Where did you come from, Lieutenant?"

Kaylin laughed, "The middle of nowhere compared to this place." She continued, "A small outpost on a rather obscure planet on the outskirts of the Paulson Nebula. It's basically a stop-off for traders and merchants. Other than trying to keep the peace between Federation colonists and trader-merchants, there wasn't a whole lot for a diplomat to do out there. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what happens here."

Nodding, Kilana chuckled, "I believe we can guarantee you won't be bored here."

The closer they got to Flanagan's the more Kaylin started to smell breakfast. It was sort of exotic; the aromas of all the different foods mixing together as they wafted out of the kitchen. She breathed it all in deeply and turned to Kilana, "Smells like you can get almost anything you want here."

"They have a fairly extensive menu," Kilana replied. "Something for everybody, I'd think."

"I hope they have fresh kava juice. That replicated stuff isn't as good."

"With the various ships that are in and out of here, you probably have at least a decent chance at that," the half Bajoran said as she scanned for a table. "...How exactly did you get acquainted with kava juice, though, Lieutenant?"

"Well, about fifty years ago, I was serving on a ship as Chief Diplomatic Officer. We came across a small scout ship with Bajorans onboard. They said that the Cardassian puppet government sent millions of their people into the harsh conditions of the mines or the labor camps. They were fleeing a mine and seeking sanctuary on a Federation ship. The Captain accommodated them and we brought them back. I got to know one, Keela (NPC) was her name, and she introduced me to kava juice. I've been hooked ever since."

Kilana nodded, she knew all to well what had happened to the Bajorans. "Do you still keep in contact with Keela?" Motioning to a table to the side, Kilana led the way.

Kaylin sat down and brushed her hair over her left shoulder. "As a matter of fact, yes. At the time we met, she was pretty young…just turned seventeen. We used to talk to each other at least twice a month. I listened to everything she told me about her life...kinda comes natural. Just a few years ago, she finally took my advice and wrote an autobiography. She gave me a signed, first edition. Unfortunately, fifty years to a Bajoran is quite a bit different than fifty years to an El-Aurian. She'll be sixty-seven this year." Kaylin sighed a little. So many of her old friends….

As she listened to Kaylin, Kilana picked up one of the menus - already on the table - and handed one to the Diplomat. She wasn't entirely sure what else to say about the Keela that would help, so she thought changing the subject might be good. "They at least have kava juice on the menu, so that's a decent start," Kilana smiled.

Kaylin returned the smile as she reached for the menu, "Thanks. A decent start indeed. Now if I can just find…yes, Eggs Benedict." It was a taste she had acquired back on Earth after her first Starfleet life. One of her many dates-gone-wrong had taken her out for a Saturday brunch. Smiling and trying to be a little more open and personable, she said, "I stick to protocol and all, but in times like this and off duty, feel free to call me Kaylin."

"I'm used to working quite a bit - being off duty in general doesn't come entirely natural," Kilana chuckled slightly. "But I'll try to remember to do so. And you're welcome to call me Kilana."

"I'd imagine there's more work for a Chief Engineer on a Starbase as opposed to a ship," replied Kaylin. "You probably will have your hands full here. Still…try to take a little time off once in a while. Even if it's just several hours. Hey, if you're ready, I'll signal a server, Kilana."

"In a way, yes, but I also have more engineers to help with the work." Kilana nodded, "Go ahead."

Kaylin waved a server over. "I'll have two eggs benedict and a kava juice please."

As the server turned to her, Kilana gave her order, "Make that two kava juices and I'd like two eggs, over medium, with two slices of wheat toast."

The server left and Kaylin looked at Kilana. "So, have you gotten back home to Bajor since the end of the Dominion War?"

Kilana nodded, "A couple times, but serving on starships doesn't exactly help make that a regular occurrence... What about you? Where's your home?"

"All things considered, Earth. My parents run an antique bookstore and library back there. You should see the rare, old books they've collected over the past few hundred years. It's really interesting…if you're into that kind of thing. Me, I love to read; especially old history books." Kaylin paused a second, then chuckled, "However, I don't foresee much of an opportunity in the near future, though. It looks like it stays pretty busy around here."

"So far that's certainly what it seems at least," Kilana agreed. "I imagine there are some slow times...or at least slower than usual. It doesn't seem like our first week here will fit that category though..." Thus far she found herself enjoying the diplomat's company - Kaylin seemed to be a nice, personable woman. Likely that was helpful in her position.

"On those rare occasions when you're not working on the base, what do you like to do?"

Kilana smiled, "Well, I do enjoy stories... And, other than taking things apart and trying to find out how to make them better, I like to draw, write, visit new or old places in the holodeck, and every so often I'll sing - I'm not trained or anything though. I've also dabbled in a few instruments. You?"

"Well, I'm certainly not mechanically inclined. I mentioned reading and book collecting, but I also enjoy cooking. And being here might be interesting in that regard – I could get some new ingredients from the passing ships. And if you enjoy stories, you're welcome to stop by my quarters and borrow some books sometime. If you find one you like, keep it for a while until you can get it recreated in the holodeck. I also like growing things; flowers, herbs, nothing elaborate."

"Thank you, I may take you up on that," Kilana replied. "Cooking...I've not done that in awhile, actually. Do you use the herbs in your cooking?"

"I do," replied Kaylin. "Some of my favorites are Vulcan mint, cilantro, oregano, and tarragon. Ginger has to be one of my favorite spices. But most of those aren't really apropos to my latest culinary addiction. Thanks to my aide, Crewman Amaya Mori, I've found Earth oriental food, mainly Japanese, to be rather tasty."

Their food came and Kaylin took a bite of her eggs benedict. "Mmm. Best I've had in a while," she said after swallowing. "Do you have any family back on Bajor or are they scattered throughout the quadrant?" Kaylin hoped she wasn't getting too personal. Kilana was a nice woman and she didn't want to ruin her first actual casual meeting.

Kilana looked down at her food, which looked rather good as well. With her first slice of toast, she broke open her first egg and dipped the toast into it. "My mother and father are on Bajor. My brother, Jiran, joined Starfleet shortly after I did. And my sister...I'm not sure about. Lirana was with a Resistance Cell and was captured, but that's all we've found out thus far. Considering when that was, though, I doubt she's still alive." For some time now Kilana had the feeling that she wouldn't find her sister again, but it seemed so much more...definite...saying it aloud.

"I'm sorry to hear that about Lirana. If there's ever anything you think I could do, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help." Kaylin smiled that understanding, compassionate, comforting smile she'd seen her mother use many times when they would talk about Reyna and Mara. "I had two sisters growing up, Reyna and Mara. To our knowledge…," Kaylin paused, "…they never escaped our homeworld when the Borg attacked one hundred twenty-one years ago. Father always said he preferred their death over their assimilation." She stopped to take another bite. "Again, if there's ever anything..."

"I appreciate it," Kilana said sincerely. "If I can think of anything, I'll let you know. I think there's more chance of finding Mikaela's (PNPC) brother, than my sister. Mikaela's the Shipyard Foreman and Damage Control Officer for the base - we've been friends awhile." Kilana drank some of her juice and added, "I'm sorry to hear about your sisters..." It seemed she and Kaylin had some things in common to some extent.

"Maybe Mikaela and I will run into each other some time. But then again, this is a big station." If everyone on 386 were as nice and friendly as Kilana, Kaylin wouldn't have a problem. Though she doubted that was the case. Seeking to change the subject, Kaylin said, "Well, I think Flanagan's just made my list of breakfast places." She looked down at her plate. It was nearly empty; just a few bites left. Her kava juice was getting low, but she decided to leave it to wash down the last few bites. "Much better than replicator, that's for sure."

"Agreed. Replicators certainly have their place, but it's been awhile since I've been able to get fresh meals. I suppose that's one of the benefits of the station," Kilana replied with a smile.

Kaylin nodded her head as she swallowed her last bite of food. "Yes. And this fresh breakfast has been good. But the company is much better." She smiled. "Thanks for joining me. It's been nice getting to know someone casually rather that professionally for a change." Kaylin drank her last bit of kava juice.

Kilana nodded, smiling, "I was glad to have your company. Much better than just getting replicated food to eat while I worked. We should certainly do it again sometime."

"Yes," agreed Kaylin, "we should. If you'll excuse me, I've got to read up on the delegations coming to the conference." She scooted her chair back. "Don't work too hard," she said smiling.

"I'll try not to," Kilana promised. "Good luck."

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant JG Kaylin Kenah
Chief Diplomatic Officer
Starbase 386

and

Warrant Officer First Class Kilana Nira
Starbase 386

Barrett
Senior Staff

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:14 am

<<USS Malinche>>
<Bridge, 0930, Day 4>

Jason yawned, resisting the urge to grab yet another cup of coffee. He hadn’t slept well the night before; mainly because he was thinking a lot about what he had talked to the Captain about. He wasn’t really sure that he was ready to be a parent but it was clear that Adam was and it wasn’t likely that he was going to wait around much longer. Jason shook his head, standing from the command chair and heading toward the secondary operations station where Joey (NPC) was seated.

“How are things going?” Jason asked, leaning against the railing.

“So far so good,” Joey reported, not turning around.

With the Malinche being docked there were only the two of them on the bridge, the ship was running on a skeleton crew. The lights were turned down slightly low giving the bridge a very relaxed feeling.

“Good.”

“Permission to speak freely sir?” Joey asked, finally turning around.

“By all means.”

“Out with it Jace.”

“Out with what?” Jason asked, making a face.

“With what you are thinking about and that happens to be the subject of you and Adam adopting a kid.”

Jason arched an eyebrow; despite his good looks and attitude toward women, Jason had forgotten how perceptive Joey could be when he wanted to be. A fact that Adam had pointed out numerous times before.

“Oh…um…that.”

“Do you love him?” Joey asked, his voice taking on a serious tone that Jason had rarely heard Joey use. “Because if you don’t, if you don’t see a future with him then as his best friend I am going to advise you to end it now.”

“Joey, of course I love him.”

“Then whats so hard about this?” Joey asked.

“It’s…well…it’s complicated.”

“That’s just an excuse Jace.”

Jason wanted to say something back but deep down he knew that Joey was right. He sighed heavily, looking away from his friend for a moment. He knew that he needed to talk to Adam and talk to him soon but having Joey spell it out like that really hit home. He did love Adam, with all his heart and couldn’t see himself spending time with anyone else but him.

“I know,” Jason sighed. “I’ll talk to him, I really will Joey.”

“Good,” Joey said. “Want to help me run through the latest warp field diagnostics. Our new ops chief wants a report by 1100.”

“Slave driver,” Jason smiled.

“Better then the one I used have on the Hale,” Joey smiled. “That guy never let us have a moments rest.”

“And what happened to him?”

“Some idiot promoted him.”

OFF:
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Starbase 386 Crew

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:30 pm

<<Starbase 386>>
<Quinn’s Office, 1500, Day 3>

Quinn had barely gotten any sleep the night before. After talking to the chief engineer he gotten the sinking feeling that things were about to get more complicated onboard the Starbase. To make matters even worse the appearance of a Reman warbird had thrown another wrench into the works. His desk was already piled high with maintenance requests, most of which were minor. He couldn’t shake why treating the chief engineer had made him feel so bad.

“Incoming message from the USS Vigilance.”

Quinn turned to his computer and tapped an icon, opening up the transmission. Instantly the Federation seal was replaced by that of Jake Tyler. Jake was a few years younger then himself and slightly shorter. He had dark brown hair and cool granite grey eyes; he was well built and at the moment was wearing civilian clothes. Jake was his best friend and currently working as a member of Starfleet’s NCIS division.

“Wow, you look like hell.”

Quinn resisted the urge to make a rather rude gesture at the computer.

“And you look just great.”

“Just busted an Orion spice smuggling ring,” Jake smiled. “Working undercover with all those gorgeous women was hard, I tell you.”

“Whatever,” Quinn grunted.

“Quinn, what is your problem?” Jake asked, arching an eyebrow. “You haven’t been yourself since Beth left you…or you left her…or whatever.”

Quinn again had to resist the urge to make a rude gesture at the computer screen.

“Did you really need to mention her again?”

“Clearly, I did. How are you getting along with everyone there, butting heads already?”

“I guess,” Quinn shrugged.

“Oh come on man,” Jake snapped. “Would you stop acting like a total jerk; the moody thing went out with high school. Look, we all know that you are a badass, that’s a given but do you really think that you are doing yourself or anyone else by alienating yourself?”

Quinn, as so often happened when Jake was right, didn’t really have anything to say.

“I know that you enjoy speaking your mind, hell that’s what I like about you Quinn but constant butting heads isn’t going to get you anywhere.”

“Did you call just to remind me how superior you are to me?” Quinn snorted.

“Among other things,” Jake smiled. “I need your help with a new case. We found some weird photonic readings at the scene of a murder. Could you take a look at them for me?”

“I guess so,” Quinn stated. At least it would give him something else to do.

“Cool, I need to going.”

“Alright.”

“Quinn.”

“Yeah?”

“Stop being an ass and take care of yourself man.”

With that said the screen winked off.

OFF:

Lt. JG Quinn Scott
Chief of Station Operations
Starbase 386
Horizon Fleet