Mission 15 - Be Wary Of Your Friends (JM with Starbase 386)

Posts for the USS Malinche's missions

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Orlando Crew

Re: Mission 15 - Be Wary Of Your Friends (JM with Starbase 386)

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:22 pm

<<USS Peacekeeper, Bridge, Station Day 4, 1522>>

Aniela had made it over to the Peacekeeper with Arthur, the Acting Commanding Officer of the ship for the battle, without incident. Well, other than nearly getting run over by the crowds trying to evacuate. She had to admit to being a bit nervous - partly due to the potentially impending battle and partly due to being on an unfamiliar ship with unfamiliar people. But, she'd make the best of it.

As they arrived on the bridge, Aniela paused just outside the turbolift to take everything in. She'd never served on an Intrepid class before, but as always, there was a first time for everything, no matter how short lived it might turn out to be. Taking a slightly deeper breath to calm herself, she slowly approached one of the stations. Aniela smiled, delighted she'd found the Science console on her first try.

Her smile quickly faded as her eyes glanced around, noting the somber atmosphere. It certainly wasn't a time for celebration. Aniela set the PADD she'd been given near the edge of the console and brought up the authorization screen. Normally she would have simply entered her authorization codes orally, but due to the somewhat eerie silence of those on the bridge, she decided manually entering them would be preferrable. It would require an extra code and her thumbprint, but she didn't mind.

Aniela quickly set to work entering the authorization codes and was soon rewarded with a chirp of acceptance from the console. Glancing up, she noticed a couple officers staring at her - likely due to the sound her console had provided. She gave them an apologetic smile quickly before looking back at her console.

Thus far she'd had no dealings with the Elyshans. Aniela had heard a little about them, but felt woefully unprepared overall. Looking at the console menu, however, she noticed a sub-menu entitled "Elyshans". Apparently the former Chief Science Officer for the Peacekeeper had done his or her own research on the topic. Aniela navigated to the sub-menu and brought up a report regarding the Elyshans. She skimmed through as best she could, taking special note of their weapons and shielding, as well as their culture and rank structure.

Technically she wouldn't normally be concerned with the weapons and shielding - it wasn't her forte - but, the mention of subspace weaponry drew her attention. The use of such technology increased the risk of subspace anomalies occurring, especially subspace tears. The tears, and also tetryon particles, were something Aniela would have to watch out for.

Feeling that she had learned all she could, Aniela slid her finger over to close the sub-menu, but paused as she noticed something noted about Arthur. Her eyes glanced up at the man now in charge of the Peacekeeper - apparently he had been the Chief Science Officer. The thought made her nervous, yet relaxed at the same time, which threw her. She was nervous at the thought of missing something that he might not have, but relaxed that someone who undoubtedly understood the scientific and spatial impacts of what would occur was in charge.

Breaking from her realization, Aniela turned her attention to the Peacekeeper's sensors. They seemed to be in good shape, with a decent range. She put in a request for more resources and sent it to Operations, hoping that the added resources would allow her to increase the sensor sensitivity. For the time being, she ran a short-range sensor sweep of the area, fine-tuning the sensors to keep a closer eye out for tetryon particles. The console beeped and she was glad to see that none had been picked up in the area - at least not yet.

She tapped at the console, setting up a regular short-range sensor sweep and a not as frequent long-range sensor sweep. Though Aniela would still check it herself, it was always good to have sweeps at regular intervals in cases such as these. As an added measure, she added an automatic high priority notification if any subspace anomalies or tetryon particles were detected.

Finally, Aniela looked up from the Science console. She knew she was as prepared as she possibly could be....now it was time to wait.

OFF:

Lieutenant Aniela Darvetti
Chief Science Officer
USS Orlando NCC-58068
This is a post by a member of the USS Orlando's crew.
http://uss-orlando.kersare.net/trsm/index.php

Steele
Senior Staff

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:45 pm

<<Starbase 386, Station Day 4, 1400>>

=/\= Red Alert. All hands to battle stations; Civilians report to combat shelters. Families with children report to assigned evacuation stations. =/\=

As the call went out over the comm system, people could be seen heeding the warning. Computer displays shifted to point people in the right direction of the shelters while shopkeepers and customers hurried to make last minute transactions. Even though security urged civilians to allow Starfleet personnel primary access to the turbolifts many didn't pay attention much to the chagrin of those needing to get to their duty stations. Despite the chaos however, the corridors were soon cleared with the exception of armed station personnel preparing for the upcoming conflict.

"This was the scene just minutes ago as word came in that a large Elyshan fleet has been spotted heading for the station. After the Battle of Altorus, Starfleet isn't taking any chances with the Elyshans. If the fleet truly has hostile intentions against this station and any attached vessels, it will surely mark the start of another war for the Federation of Planets and Starfleet. While it is no secret that both entities have reduced their armament in the years following the Dominion War, they have proven time and time again that they are capable and willing to fight should the need arise. Let's just hope this current crisis can be averted before we have to find out. Reporting live from Starbase 386, I'm Alan Yeats (NPC); United Federation Broadcasting."

Upon completion of his report, Alan and the rest of the news team packed up their gear before heading to a combat shelter themselves to continue reporting from there.

Off:

Alan Yeats (NPC)
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:34 pm

<<USS Malinche, Deck 1 Conference Room, Day 4, 1500>>

Isabel entered the Conference Room, already tense. It wasn't every day that you found out an entire Fleet was on the way. In fact, in her years as Captain, she'd never been involved in a major battle. Perhaps that was why she was so unnerved. Isabel knew she had a great crew, but still.

Jason would have liked to say that he was surprised when Isabel called them to battle stations but that wouldn't be the truth. He was well aware of the tensions between the Federation and the Elyshans; it was only a matter of time before an armed conflict took place. He entered the conference room and took his seat, nodding to Captain Kersare.

She looked slightly unnerved; although if Jason recalled correctly she hadn't been involved in any major battles. That was something that Jason wished he had the luxury of experiencing. Sadly enough he had seen enough battles but Isabel was a superb commanding officer, if there was anyone that could pull the Malinche through the coming conflict it would be her.

Sean entered the conference room. It had been a few days since he arrived on the Malinche and he had settled in nicely thus far. He looked around the room he noticed the captain and executive officer. He gave a nod to both of them and sat down in his chair, awaiting the arrival of the remaining senior staff members.

The mood in the Conference Room was understandably tense when Nora arrived. This was to be expected, of course, but Nora felt rather unnerved herself to see that Captain Kersare looking so ill at ease. Her expression neutral and her manner calm, the counselor quietly greeted the Captain before taking a seat beside the already arrived Dr. Dormand.

Peters walked in right after Zeral and tool the nearest open seat. He'd been through enough in his time in Starfleet to appear outwardly calm, but his stomach was tied in knots. Personal experience had taught him that it was a VERY bad thing when an alert status was initiated while in port.

The doors to the briefing room hissed open again and Aaron entered at a brisk pace, a PADD tucked under his arm. He had just come from the holodeck where he and other members of the security staff had been working on a training exercise when the captain had given the order to man battlestations. Aaron did not waste any time in taking his seat. Placing the PADD on the table, the young Security/Tactical Chief glanced toward the captain, waiting for her to begin.

Steele was one of the last officers to arrive, having gotten caught up in the crowds on the station once the call to battle stations had come in. After a quick stop by his quarters for his uniform and phaser, Aaron arrived at the conference room. He didn't know much about the situation, but knew the Malinche would be on the front lines of any armed conflict. It was one of the hazards of serving aboard a Prometheus class starship.

Once everyone was present, Isabel moved to the head of the conference table and stood facing her Senior Staff. "We unfortunately don't have much time for pleasantries, but I would like to introduce our new Chief Operations Officer, Lieutenant Hansen, and our new Chief Security/Tactical Officer, Lieutenant JG Masterson. Also, Lieutenant JG Dormand is our Acting Chief Medical Officer."

Peters nodded to each of the officers in turn. He took a good, long look at Hansen, wondering how easy the new Chief of Ops would be to work with. If their next few assignments were anything like the last few, he'd be working with the man a lot.

"As you know, I called the crew to battle stations. I have been informed by Captain Lange that an Elyshan Fleet is on its way to Starbase 386; he is calling on all available ships to defend the base," Isabel began. "They will arrive at approximately 16:45 hours."

Jason arched an eyebrow, apparently they were forgoing the peaceful path. That was also not a surprise. "I don't suppose that we can talk them into a peaceful solution?" Jason asked.

Sean scoffed slightly. "I may not have been in this part of space very long, Commander, but from what I've heard the Elyshans are a black and white species. Either they fight or they don't. Given that they have breached Federation space, I fear we must presume the former of the two."

Jason nodded, he had hoped otherwise but he had to agree with Sean's assessment of the situation. Things were going to get ugly. "Looks like I finally get to be aboard when we try out the MVAM."

The impending arrival of an Elyshan fleet was news to Aaron. Although he had read through a few of the reports on the Elyshan Empire since coming aboard, there hadn't been much time for him to become as intimately familiar with them as other officers who had been serving in the region, dealing with the Elyshans on a more routine basis. "How many vessels are we expecting," he asked.

Isabel turned towards her Security/Tactical Chief, "Two hundred thirty seven ships." Rather than continuing, she waited to let what she had just said sink in.

Julie and Nora had shared an uneasy glance following Captain Kersare’s announcement. Julie’s mind had been whirling ever since as she mentally reviewed the preparations Sickbay would need to make for the upcoming conflict. She wasn’t unfamiliar with battles and the injuries that they inevitably brought with them, but her prior experiences didn’t bring her any comfort. She knew that she needed to stay sharp for the fight ahead.

Steele instinctively dropped his hand to his phaser as he simultaneously let out a low whistle. Five or six vessels could be explained away as some overeager commanders. It was rare though, that a power sent a fleet of over 200 ships into neighboring territory with peaceful intentions. Their actions were likely to lead to war and wars almost always lasted longer than either side expected.

"That's an invasion force," Jason stated bluntly. "I almost hate to ask this but is Starfleet sending any more reinforcements?" Jason had a feeling that he already knew the answer to that question and didn't really like it one bit. He had seen his share of battles with the Maran Navy and there were times when they were out-matched but generally the odds were a little better then this.

"Even if they were, I doubt they would arrive in the next hour and a half or so, before the Elyshan Fleet. Right now, it'll be Starbase 386, us, the Peacekeeper, the Tethys, any suitable ships belonging to the diplomats, and any ships either docked or in the Shipyard that are battle-worthy," Isabel replied. "Granted, in sheer number, they'll outnumber us, but they also won't be bringing an entire Starbase with them."

Turning to her Chief Security/Tactical Officer, Isabel said, "Mr. Masterson, any thoughts on a strategy?" She already knew what she thought was best, but was curious to see if Aaron felt the same.

With a start, Aaron realized that all eyes were on him, waiting for a response to the captain's question. He had been so busy trying to remember everything that he knew about Elyshan tactics that he hadn't really been paying all that much attention to the back and forth going on around the table.

"Two hundred thirty seven vessels is certainly a large force to reckon with," Aaron replied slowly, "Especially given what we know about Elyshan weapon systems. However, I've been giving it some thought and I think I've come up with a few ideas that might give us an advantage. For starters, we have two Prometheus-class starships, both equipped with the Multi-Vector Assault Mode. I'd like to consult with the Tethys' Chief Tactical Officer and see if we can work out a few possibilities based on the experience at Altorus."

Isabel nodded, "Feel free to do so, quickly; unfortunately we have very little time. I think MVAM would be an asset for us. The downside is that our shields won't be as strong."

"I've been reading a little bit of the data obtained at Altorus about how Federation shields hold up against Elyshan weapons and I think we should be OK if they use conventional weapons, but there's no telling what will happen if they open up with subspace weapons," Peters said. He did have a few thoughts on how to protect against any side effects from a subspace weapon discharge, but he'd hoped to be able to run some tests on the idea before it got battle tested.

Isabel didn't really want to think of the implications of the Elyshans using subspace weapons on them, but knew it was a likely scenario. "Any suggestions, Commander?"

"Well, Captain," Peters answered, "if a subspace tear forms, the most promising option is to turn our shields into a subspace inversion envelope. For just dealing with the weapon blast we either need incredibly strong shields or a static warp shell. Any and all of those require diverting most of the power from the warp core directly into the shield generators and making a few modifications to the emitters." What he didn't say was that if they needed warp drive during the coming engagement there was a strong likelihood there wouldn't be a ship left to take to warp anyway.

"Do it. Commander, I'd like you to work with Mr. Hansen and see what you can accomplish in the next hour and a half. Mr. Steele, I'd like you to see what you can do to enhance our sensors - anything that might give us some form of advantage would be good...feel free to get assistance from another department as needed," Isabel said.

At first, Steele didn't understand why he was being tasked with heading up the sensor upgrades. It would seem engineering or operations would be better suited for the job. However, upon giving it some thought, the order made more sense. Engineering and Ops would be busy with the shield modifications, and as Chief of Science Aaron was very familiar with how the sensors operated. "I'll get started right away Captain."

Sean, who had more or less remained quiet for the majority of the briefing looked from the Captain to Commander. He nodded and responded, "We may cut it a bit close, but we should be able to do it."

Jason was happy to see that everyone appeared to be taking this all in stride; a testament to the Malinche's crew and Captain Kersare's composure. He wasn't sure how many of them had actually seen any real battles but that would all change in a short matter of minutes. He didn't know much about the enemy ships, at least not anything that they could use to their advantage.

"Do we know of their ships have any drawbacks? Anything that we can exploit?" Jason asked.

"The shields on their smaller ships have proven susceptible to Tri-Cobalt devices," Peters replied quickly. "I'm not sure if that would extend to their larger classes or not, as I haven't had a chance to look at the sensor data collected at Altorus. We have a rather limited number of those devices anyway, so we should try to come up with a way to give our standard torpedoes a bit more punch."

"We could rig the warheads to the same phase variance of the Tri-Cobalt devices; it might be a lot but it sounds like we are going to need all the edge that we can get," Jason stated.

Sean shook his head. "I wouldn't be so gung ho about setting off the limited number of tri-cobalt devices we have in the first place, Commander, to say nothing of modifying torpedoes to act more like them. I've read some theoretical papers that say that tri-cobalt devices weaken the threshold between normal space and subspace. If we go off detonating large numbers of them, we may tear a hole in subspace."

"Theory is all well and good Mr. Hansen but when it comes down to it real world is what matters," Jason stated. "Besides, if we don't do something they may end up tearing a hole in our hull instead. I'm not discounting your concerns but we need to consider all our options."

"With all due respect, commander, the lieutenant is correct," Aaron said, glancing toward the Malinche's first officer, "Subspace weapons were outlawed by the Second Khitomer Accords because they were unpredictable. Tri-cobalt devices aren't subspace weapons per se, but they are extremely powerful warheads. Besides, I doubt our standard torpedoes could produce such a blast, particularly of that yield."

"Then we need better options people," Jason stated. He still wasn't entirely sold on the fact that his idea would destroy subspace but decided to not push it. For all he knew they could be correct and his plan would end up blowing them all to pieces. Then again the Elyshans could end up doing that too. Either way they needed better options and then needed them before the Elyshan fleet arrived on their doorstep.

Isabel waited for her Senior Staff to provide some options. She had an idea or two, but wanted to see what they could come up with - especially seeing as how some were new to the ship. While Sean and Aaron had valid points, if it came down to either being destroyed by the Elyshans or possible survival with the chance of causing a subspace tear, she would choose the latter.

Peters looked thoughtfully towards Masterson and Hansen. "Would it be possible," he asked, "to augment a Quantum torpedo with a gravimetric warhead? Basically try to overwhelm their shields by focusing the entire blast on a very small area?"

Sean looked from Peters to Barrett, and then to Masterson. "I'm sure we could do it, but I'm not sure if we could get the blast focused enough to destabilize their shields. It would be like trying to draw blood with a garden hose."

"Do whatever you can in the time that we have. We unfortunately don't have time for the magnitude of preparations we truly need, so we'll have to make do." That was also true for Medical... Any mission had the potential for injuries...defending Starbase 386 would likely have an even greater potential. "Doctor, I'll need you to assign someone to be in charge of all three sickbays and ensure they're ready for injured crewmembers," Isabel said.

“Yes, Captain,” Julie said, already mentally reviewing her options. Being both new to the ship and new to MVAM, she hadn’t initially taken into account the need of additional medical personnel in charge of two additional sickbays. Fortunately, she did have some crewmembers in mind. “I’ll brief them after we adjourn, ma’am,” she added.

"And Counselor, if you don't mind, I'd like you to help Doctor Dormand with the preparations, then join me on the bridge," Isabel continued. Truth be told, she was a bit torn between leaving Nora to continue to help in one of the sickbays or having her on the bridge, but decided that any crewmembers going to sickbay would be in more immediate need of medical attention - their mental health could be addressed after the battle.

“Of course,” Nora replied. She was relieved that she could be of some service. The tension in the room was palpable and somewhat distracting for a telepath, especially when she had her fears of her own concerning the impending arrival of the Elyshan fleet. Having a task to occupy her for a time would be a welcome distraction.

"Alright everyone, we don't have much time to prepare, so let's get moving. I want us going to MVAM by 1600. That gives us less than an hour for intial preparations, then additional time once we're separated. I'll be staying with the Alpha Section, Lieutenant Commander Barrett will be going to the Beta Section, and Lieutenant JG Masterson will be going to Gamma. I want at least one officer from Operations, Security/Tactical, and Science on each bridge," Isabel ordered. "Dismissed."

Aaron didn't have much time to fully process the captain's orders before everyone around him began to rise from their chairs. Realizing that he had work to be doing, Aaron got to his feet and collected his PADD from the table. He now had less than an hour to converse with the Tethys' Chief Tactical Officer before he needed to report to Gamma Section to assume command. Once again, Captain Kersare had surprised him. It was easy enough, when one was new, to be surprised by the actions of those officers with whom one was not familiar with. He might have wondered at the captain's decision to assign him to command the Gamma Section, but the captain had set a challenge before him, it was time for him to step up to the plate.

Steele was already making plans in his head as the group got up to carry out their respective tasks. On top of making sure the sensors were in tip top shape, if time permitted he was going to coordinate with the other ships and the station to better secure intership communications. He didn't know much about the Elyshans but the harder it was for them to intercept communications the better it was for Starfleet. Steele also was generating a list of which section to place the members of his department. A junior officer and a senior enlisted would be on each bridge of the Malinche with the exception of the Gamma section where he would be during the conflict.

OFF: Tag everyone - preparations should be under way!

JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant JG Aaron Masterson
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Lieutenant Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Lieutenant Sean Hansen
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Lieutenant Nora Zeral
Chief Counselor & Second Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Starbase 386 Crew

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:35 pm

ON: <Starbase 386, Ops, Station Day 4, 1650>

Lange looked at the holographic display above his desk one last time before turning it off. At this point there was nothing else he could do. Either his plan would work, or they'd have one hell of a nasty firefight on their hands in no time flat. Kilana's Engineers had finished their work with the platforms, just barely in time, and the Elyshans were now on the doorstep.

Stepping out into Ops, Lange was struck by the feeling that something was... off. Then it hit him, he didn't recognize any of the faces around the situation table. Richardson was on the Peacekeeper and Gates ensuring the last of the civilians got off the station. It was amazing how quickly he'd come to associate those two with that center table. Perhaps, he mused, Admiral Meyer was right and he did belong here...

That was a matter to be considered if and when there was time later. For now he had a fleet bluff. Stepping down to the main level, Lange turned to the young female ensign that had taken up Gates' usual spot. She looked even younger than Gates did. How young was Starfleet Academy accepting cadets these days? Twelve?

Pushing aside his errant train of thought, Lange assumed the calmest demeanor he could manage. He didn't speak until he was sure he could keep his voice even. "Status on the Elyshan Fleet?"

"They've just entered range of our weapons, and presumably theirs, sir," the ensign answered him, her voice shaky. "They're currently holding position. All ships have their shields raised, but their weapons are not currently armed... I think."

Lange considered that. The mere presence of that many ships could be considered a threatening act, if not an act of war. But they hadn't yet armed their weapons, which meant that they weren't going to attack yet... not that it would take them long to arm their weapons when and if they changed their minds. Still, it gave Lange hope that he could resolve this little situation without a battle... at least not one of phasers and torpedoes.

"Make sure all ships are in assigned defensive positions... and alert Commander Meyer that his wing is now on alert status. I want him ready to launch his first wave within 2 minutes of my order until further notice." Lange watched as the ensign entered the appropriate orders on the panel set into the side of the table.

"And the fleet, sir?" she asked, not quite as shaky as before.

"For now, ensign," Lange replied, "it's their move. But if they take too long I'll have to make it for them."

OFF:

Captain James Lange
Commanding Officer
Starbase 386
This is a post by a member of Starbase 386's Crew
http://starbase386.antoniemey.com/

Peters
Senior Staff

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 pm

ON: <Starbase 386, Crossover Bridge 2, "Spacers' Row", Station Day 4, 1355>

Peters walked down the main thoroughfare of the area of Starbase 386 known as "Spacers' Row." It was so named because nearly all of the businesses in this stretch of Crossover Bridge 2 catered to freighter crews transiting through the system. The atmosphere here was much different than on the Promenade, which catered more towards the tourist and civilian resident population of the station.

Most of the lights were kept at a lower setting here, approximating the usual conditions on a low-warp freighter. Since most of the merchants catered to freighter crews, a large number of the businesses were bars. Most of the rest were shops selling supplies that would be needed or wanted during a multi-week trek between star systems.

Peters wasn't really looking for either of these. He was, however, exploring the base thoroughly while he had the time. Cardassian architecture fascinated him, and the fact that it had been left mostly intact on this base made the urge to explore irresistible. Even more appealing to Peters' curiosity was seeing how the areas of the station that had been remodeled had been done.

So far all of the corridors had been fully Cardassian in design. Peters couldn't get into all of the rooms to look at them, but those he'd had access to also kept their Cardassian design elements. In fact, the only area of the station he'd found that looked like it might belong in a Starfleet-designed station was the entrance to the 8th Fleet R&D Facility in Crossover Bridge 1, 120 degrees around the station's curve from where he was now. Peters suspected that the change there had been done on purpose, to notify non-Starfleet personnel that they didn't belong there.

The sound of an alarm klaxon broke through Peters' thoughts. A moment later a voice crackled across the public address system. "Red Alert. All hands to battle stations; Civilians report to combat shelters. Families with children report to assigned evacuation stations."

Peters sighed. He had no idea what was going on, but it didn't sound good. And if the base was on Red Alert, that meant the Malinche was too, or soon would be. He turned and headed towards the nearest turbolift, muttering, "I just need to go on leave for a year, that's all there is to it."

OFF:
Tony
AKA
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Orlando Crew

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:03 pm

ON: [[Main Bridge, USS Orlando, Station Day 04, 1220]]

Tobias watched the readouts on the auxiliary console as the Orlando continued on her course toward Starbase 386. Though they could not know what awaited them when they arrived, he wanted to be as prepared as possible. A brief glance around the bridge confirmed what he already knew...that everyone was waiting, unsure of what the future might hold for them. There was a tension in the room that was almost palpable as each individual busied themselves with various tasks or watched the stars streak past on the main viewscreen.

Though his emotions were generally in check, Turok (NPC) had to admit he was slightly uncomfortable with the wait. The Vulcan's expression was steady as always as he took in the scene on the viewscreen. They would arrive when they arrived, no more could be done. The ship could only be physically pushed so much before it flew apart, so really they had no option other than patience.

The display paused on the tactical image of an Elyshan frigate. Tobias studied the diagram for a moment before asking, "Mr. Turok, what do you make of this?"

At the sound of his name, Turok moved closer to Tobias for a better look at the image. "A decent sized vessel, though not overly large. I am not a Tactical expert, per se, but the weapons appear to be standard. The shielding, however, is not. Subspace shields will require a different tactic."

"Indeed they will," Tobias agreed, making note of something on the PADD he held in one hand, "but I wonder...if Elyshan vessels, particularly their frigates and battleships, are equipped with subspace shielding, what effect would that have on the surrounding space?"

"The shielding itself should not have a negative effect on surrounding space. Subspace technology does not imply danger - transporters, warp drives, communications....these are accomplished via subspace. In some instances under certain circumstances something may go wrong and create a problem with surrounding space nonetheless. The main danger, however, is from subspace weapons. Using them can create subspace tears and potentially other anomalies as well," Turok replied. That was something he would have to watch out for.

The El-Aurian nodded and took a few more notes before glancing back up at the schematics on the display. Without the subspace shielding or weapons, Elyshan vessels would likely be less able to take on a Federation starship. It was interesting, then, that of all the Alpha Quadrant powers, the Elyshans had developed the technology, one that would give them a definite advantage over the Klingons, the Romulans, the Cardassians...among others.

Turok paused, contemplating the situation further. "Firing on the subspace shields could have the potential for subspace tears... The shields themselves should not be an issue, as I mentioned, but the disruption of the subspace energy field for the shields - caused by weapons fire - may. It will need to be closely monitored."

"Agreed," Tobias said, lowering the PADD he had been using to take notes. If they could penetrate the subspace shielding, conventional weapons would be enough to disable the vessel, but there was no way to know just how many of these frigates would be present when they arrived.

Tapping a control, Tobias watched as the display shifted to a limited tactical display of an Elyshan battleship. Information on the mammoth vessel was scant at best, meaning that they could do little more than speculate on its capabilities and how to counteract them. "The Elyshan Battleship," Tobias observed aloud, raising the PADD again and checking his notes, "a formidable vessel...certainly more advanced than the frigate."

Tilting his head ever so slightly, Turok nodded slowly, "Indeed. Since the frigate has subspace shielding and the battleship is more advanced, the possibility of the battleship having subspace weaponry is 97.24%. We will most certainly be facing a very dangerous situation - even if it were only one battleship and not an entire Fleet."

Out of the corner of his eye, Tobias noticed the Vulcan's reaction. Although Vulcans had chosen to suppress emotions, Tobias did not believe that they were without concern or anticipation. In his own way, Turok was probably just as anxious as the rest of them about what they might find when the Orlando dropped out of warp. "Have you given any thought as to what we might find," the El-Aurian asked conversationally.

"In order of likelihood, we may find one of the following: we will find that the Elyshan Fleet was victorious and the ships and Starbase there will be either destroyed or severly damaged, we will find the two sides in the middle of a battle, we will find that the Fleet is in negotiations with the Starbase and some damage has taken place, or we will find that the Fleet changed course," Turok replied. He had had plenty of time to think of outcomes. "The chances of the last option are essentially nil, of course. And with any of the other options we may also see damage to surrounding space due to the issues I previously mentioned."

"Oh, I'm not so sure," Tobias said, turning his full attention to the Vulcan, "The universe has a funny way of working out for the best in the end. We may be pleasantly surprised by what we find when we arrive."

Turok raised his eyebrow, "That would not be logical. The odds are heavily in the Elsyhan's favor, Mr. Naros."

"It may not be logical, but it is reasonable," the El-Aurian replied, "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. That way, no matter what happens, one is ready to face what comes."

"Possible, perhaps, but I would not go so far as to say 'reasonable'," the Vulcan replied. "I agree that there is always room for hope, but the odds are not with us for this encounter."

"Numbers do not win a battle," Tobias remarked, "Not always..." He turned back toward the display, glancing at his notes before moving on to the next schematic. There were many unknown factors involved in this situation that made it very difficult to predict or plan for possible outcomes. It was a situation that would likely frustrate many individuals who would prefer concrete data. As an El-Aurian, there were times when Tobias knew it was better to go with his feelings rather than the logical answer.

"You are correct, numbers do not always win a battle. However, other factors are at play. The condition of the Starbase's defenses, the number of ships with subspace weapons, the effect that the formation of subspace rifts would have, the number and class of ships available to help defend the Starbase... Some of these may help us, some may not. The likelihood that the Elyshans would send that many vessels to simply welcome Captain Lange to command of the base or be a welcoming committee to those participating in the Taevon Summit is not good," Turok said. He would much prefer to be proved wrong and to have the Starbase and ships all intact when they arrived, but he simply could not assume that that would be the case.

Looking directly at the display of Starbase 386 and the Aldani system that he had just brought up, Tobias knew that the Vulcan had a point. Softly, he replied, "I agree with you there..."

OFF

A JP by

Ensign Turok (NPC)
Physicist
USS Orlando
Played by: Lt. Darvetti

and

Lt. Commander Tobias Naros
CFCO/Second Officer
USS Orlando

Hansen
Senior Staff

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:42 pm

ON:

[[COO's Quarters, Station day 4, 1605 hours]]

"Computer, End Log... and open a channel to station X-3101." Sean ordered.

=^=Unable to comply. Subspace messages being jammed.=^= replied the computer in it's emotionless voice.

Sean slammed his fist down on the table. "Computer, did you account for the jamming code that I fed you half an hour ago?" he asked, angered that the code he had that was supposed to be able to break through the jamming didn't seem to be working.

=^=Affirmative. Remodulation code Torin 3146 is in effect.=^=

Sean leaned back in his chair and sighed. Everything that was supposed to have happened since he came aboard had been thrown off course by the arrival of the Elyshan fleet, and he couldn't even report it to his superiors. Shaking his head, Sean opened a drawer in his desk and brought out his tricorder and attached it to the side of his computer. "Computer, access program Torin 431 and begin.

=^=Working=^= the computer responded.

Sean shook his head and stood up. "Of course you are, but I bet you won't get done for another three days." he said, wishing he had had the time to set up his independent access to the computer core.

"I suppose I had better get back to engineering." he said to himself as he pulled on a new uniform jacket.

OFF:

A post by:
Lt. Sean Hansen
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche

Barrett
Senior Staff

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:34 pm

<<USS Malinche - Beta Section>>
<Bridge, 1730, Day 4>

The battle bridge, for lack of a better term was much like the Malinche's main bridge; most notably different was the size. The helm and operations station at the front of the bridge was combined into one station, with tactical behind him and to his right and operations behind him and to his left. Ryan Morris (NPC) was manning the tactical station while Joey (NPC) was sitting at operations.

The helmsmen was Joshua Sychorski, an officer that Jason only knew by name. He made a mental note to dig up some more information on the man so that he could have a conversation with him some day, that was of course, assuming that they survived their current mission.

"Any change in the fleet's position?" Jason asked.

"Negative sir, they are just sitting there," Joey reported. "The same thing that they have been doing for awhile now."

"Maybe its just a bluff," Joshua stated, turning around from the helm. "Maybe they are just testing us?"

"Its possible," Jason stated, standing and walking around the smaller bridge. "But the main question is why?"

"Maybe they are using us as a distraction," Ryan offered. "And their real target is some place else. Seems like a sound tactical plan to me."

Jason arched an eyebrow at Ryan, he wasn't really sure he liked where his line of thinking was taking him. If there was one thing that Jason didn't want to see it was another war sweep across the galaxy, the last one had been costly enough. Although he supposed it would have been a logical leap to make given the circumstances.

"I hope not," Joey stated. "War really screws up my vacation plans."

"Any orders yet?" Jason asked, sitting back down in the command chair.

"Nothing yet, I think they are waiting to see who is going to blink first."

Jason only nodded and settled back in his chair to resume waiting.

OFF:
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Peters
Senior Staff

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:03 pm

ON: <USS Malinche, En Route to Engineering, Day 4, 1530>

Peters jogged down the corridor, mind racing with different scenarios that he could possibly see within the next hour and a half. At the forefront of his thoughts was the matter of how to divide his staff up between the three sections. The Captain's choices for who commanded which section also entered into the equation, as he had to make sure the lead engineer for each section could work well with the officer in command of each section.

Walking into Engineering, Peters looked around and saw that most of the people he needed where already present. That would make it a bit quicker to get everyone into position, which was good since they didn't have much time. He walked to the middle of the Engineering bay and called out, "OK, everyone, we have a lot to do and only a few minutes to get it done!"

"Schulz, Fields, Vir, I need you to man the Beta Section. Ensign L'Randil will be joining you there once I've spoken with her," Peters said as a beginning. He looked around and spotted Schulz nearby. "Lieutenant Schulz, you're in charge. You'll be reporting to Commander Barrett."

Peters looked around again and spotted C'Eltor. "C'Eltor, you'll be taking charge here in the Gamma section. Melat, D'Vhal, and Dirland, you'll be making up the rest of the Gamma team. Lieutenant Masterson will be in command of this section. And that means S'Erak, Corrin, and Altin, you're with me in Alpha Section."

He could see questioning looks on the faces of some of the engineers, but he didn't have time to explain everything to them right now. "I need everyone at their assigned stations within ten minutes, ready for combat and damage control. Dismissed."

As the engineers scattered to get to their assignments and prepare for what was coming, Peters headed for his office. He needed to grab a few things and let L'Randil know about her assignment.

OFF:
Tony
AKA
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:17 am

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Corridor, Day 4, 1555>>

Having helped Julie (PNPC) sort out the preparations for the ship’s three sickbays, Nora left Sickbay and moved quickly towards the turbolift. Passing Counseling on her way there, she gave into the temptation to stop briefly, peering inside. She had assigned all members of her counseling staff to one of the sickbays, leaving the suite empty.

Or at least, nearly empty. Jacob Trelani (NPC) was the last to leave, Nora saw with some bemusement, just as he often was. Seeing Nora, he approached her with a warm smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes. “I’m on my way to Beta’s sickbay,” he informed her, his tone almost casual. Nora could sense his unease with the situation in general, but she was impressed with his determination to be calm and hopeful despite the danger they were all about to encounter. “You’re staying on Alpha, aren’t you?”

“Yes, I was going to the bridge just now, actually,” Nora replied, nodding in the direction of the corridor. Jacob nodded but was otherwise silent, standing at the Betazoid’s side as she looked over the Counseling suite. “I hate to see it so empty, so…ominous,” she sighed.

“Me too,” Jacob agreed, looking over the room himself. “But you know something? I think there’s every chance that we’ll be back here soon enough, back to business as usual. I’ve found throughout my career with Starfleet that even the most daunting situations have a way of working themselves out sometimes.”

Nora glanced at Jacob, warmed by his positive outlook. “They do, don’t they? Sometimes, at any rate,” Nora said, wishing she could match Jacob’s optimistic tone. The palpable fear of the upcoming conflict seemed to be emanating from the ship itself. It had been distracting for the counselor, and she’d found in the last few minutes that some of her fears had begun to prey upon her.

She thought of the good men and women she knew and served with and wondered if she’d ever see some of them again. Losing friends and loved ones was something she, like many others, had personal experience with, but it didn’t make the fear of losing more any less potent. “I hope everything works out for the best. I’d like to think that it will.” Turning to face him, she added, “Take care of yourself, Jacob. I expect to see your bright, smiling face tomorrow morning.”

Jacob smiled again, and this time it did reach his eyes. “Yes, ma’am. You can count on me,” he said in a mock serious tone. “I expect to see you too, Nora. Stay safe,” he added in a more sedate tone. Nora nodded slowly, her hand squeezing his shoulder in assurance. Jacob cleared this throat, his smile firmly back in place. “Well, adventure awaits, I suppose. We’d better get going.”

“Lead on,” Nora said, matching his smile. They stepped into the corridor together, both of them feeling more prepared to face whatever was coming their way.

OFF:

Ensign Jacob Trelani (NPC)
played by:
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Starbase 386 Crew

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:56 am

<<USS Peacekeeper, Corridor, Day 4, 1530>>

Mikaela (PNPC) had arrived on the Peacekeeper fifteen minutes prior. It hadn't been long since she last was on the ship, but given all the changes in that time, it seemed like forever. She walked quickly down the corridor, heading for Main Engineering. Normally she would've already been there, but with all the crewmembers quickly assigned and running around the ship it made getting from one place to another exceedingly difficult.

Part of her kept expecting Kilana be just around the corner, leading the way. It was an odd thought that she would be in charge of Engineering on the Intrepid class vessel...the whole time she'd served on the ship, albiet a short time, Kilana had been in charge. Mikaela didn't have the luxury of time to consider it further, however, not with an Elsyhan Fleet arriving soon.

<Main Engineering>

The doors parted, allowing Mikaela entrance into Engineering. The staff was relatively small, but that couldn't be helped. They didn't have the time or resources for a full Engineering staff. Instead, they would simply have to make do.

Her eyes moved around the room quickly, surveying the scene. As she did, Amelia (NPC) and Nisha (NPC) spotted her and walked over. Mikaela gave the women a brief nod.

"Aiden (NPC)?" Amelia looked at Mikaela, somewhat concerned.

"He's helping Kilana on the Base," Mikaela told her. Looking over at Nisha, she noted the young woman's concern as well, "Marc (NPC) is too. We'll have mostly some of the Shipyard Engineers here with us." Though she considered it, Mikaela didn't give them any further encouragement about Aiden or Marc. Truth be told, despite the mobility of a ship, Mikaela figured that the chances of those on the base surviving were better than theirs. It was generally a lot easier to blow up a ship than an entire base. Not that it couldn't be done, but it would at least take longer.

Nisha nodded, "What do you need us to do?"

"I want a Level 2 power availability and efficiency check run as well as an overall system diagnostic," Mikaela said. "Also, we should gather supplies for damage control so we can make any repairs as quickly as possible. I'd coordinate it myself, but I need to do some other checks and get an overall status."

"I can take care of the damage control aspect," Amelia offered. She hadn't really done much in the way of damage control per se, but gathering supplies was easy enough. And the most basic repairs wouldn't be a problem...anything outside her knowledge would likely be damage that would require time they wouldn't have to repair anyway.

Mikaela replied, "Alright. Take one or two of these engineers with you to help. I believe the two over there would be most qualified." Though she was still trying to remember at least the Shipyard Engineer team leaders' names, she hadn't had much time to learn them. However, Mikaela seemed to recognize the two she'd pointed out and if she remembered correctly, they'd be qualified.

Nisha glanced around and saw a terminal away from the others and currently un-occupied. "I can start the diagnostics and checks, then give you the report once it's done."

"Good. Time is short, so we need to get moving. Let's try to get these preparations done in the next half hour or forty-five minutes. It might not be possible, but we need to try - that Elsyhan Fleet is on its way and somehow I don't think that it'll just wait for us if we're not ready," Mikaela commented. Right now she certainly didn't envy Captain Lange...

OFF:

Ensign Amelia Luri (NPC)
Shipyard Engineer (Warp Systems)
Starbase 386

and

Lieutenant JG Nisha Croen (NPC)
Shipyard Engineer (Impulse Systems)
Starbase 386

and

Lieutenant Mikaela Breland (PNPC)
Shipyard Foreman & Damage Control Officer
Starbase 386

played by:

Warrant Officer First Class Kilana Nira
Starbase 386
This is a post by a member of Starbase 386's Crew
http://starbase386.antoniemey.com/

Barrett
Senior Staff

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:12 pm

<<USS Malinche>>
<Holodeck 1, 1430, Day 4>

Adam exhaled slowly, doing his best to center his racing mind. His conversation with Jeremy had left him more shook up then he would have thought possible. He realized, sadly enough, that he wasn't as over him as he thought he was. Seeing Jeremy had reminded Adam of what he was wanting...really wanting. A family. Someone to look after, kids, all things that he never thought he would be ready for some day.

He was sitting on the top of pyramid from ancient earth, fittingly enough it was from the Mayan civilization; sort of ironic since they were on the USS Malinche. He took another deep breath, centering his mind and trying to bring his thoughts into focus. A soft breeze blew over his skin.

"You always come here when you are pissed."

Adam didn't even bother to turn around; he knew the voice already. He took a deep breath and stood up, steeling himself for the lashing that he knew was going to come from Joey (NPC).

"Not true," Adam stated, crossing his arms. "Usually I come here to beat the crap out of things."

"You talked to him didn't you?" Joey asked, he had that look on his face that he usually got when he wasn't real happy about something.

"I had to Joey...I needed to tell him how I felt."

"And how do you feel?" Joey asked, quirking an eyebrow.

"Confused," Adam sighed. "I'm ready for a family, I'm not sure Jason is."

"You're going to leave him aren't you?" Joey asked, a sudden realization sitting in.

"No...yes...hell...I don't know," Adam sighed. "I love him, I really do but I'm ready to start a family. I asked him about it over three months ago and he won't even talk about it. I thought that he loved me...that this was something that he wanted and now I'm not so sure."

"Adam," Joey said. "He loves you and you love him...he just needs time, life around here hasn't exactly been easy for anyone lately."

"It's pretty simple Joey," Adam snapped, although the reply came out harsher then he intended. "If he loves me and he wants me to stay then this should be an easy question for him to answer."

"Not everyone wears their heart on their sleeve like you do."

"I can't wait around anymore," Adam sighed. "After this mission I'll be requesting a transfer."

Adam could tell the words hit Joey like a tricolbolt device going off and until he said them himself he hadn't really made up his mind. But saying them now, aloud, well that seemed to bring a whole new level of finality to it. He fought back the urge to cry, he needed to do this though. If Jason wasn't willing to give him the family that he always wanted then it was time for him to move on.

"Adam, you can't be serious."

"I am," Adam nodded. "Don't worry, you can't get rid of me that easily but I won't be around to pick the pieces when you go off and get yourself hurt."

Joey looked like he was about to respond when Captain Kersare's voice cut through the holodeck.

"All hands this is the captain speaking, report to battle stations at once."

"Come on," Adam said, grabbing Joey's arm and rushing out of the holodeck.

OFF:

Adam Townsen
Medical Officer
USS Malinche

Played By:
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:25 pm

ON: [[Gamma Section Bridge, USS Malinche, MD04, 1613]]

Consoles hummed in the silence that filled the auxiliary control center that served as the bridge of the Malinche's Gamma Section. Only moments ago, they had successfully completed execution of the Multi-Vector Assault Mode, which had separated the single Prometheus-class starship into three independent sections. As Aaron glanced around the room, he noticed that everyone was trying to keep themselves busy. He couldn't blame them, considering what was expected to arrive at any moment.

"You going to sit down," a familiar voice asked quietly in his hear. He turned his head to see Mike (NPC) standing just over his left shoulder. Turning a little more, he looked toward the empty chair at the center of the bridge.

"Standing is fine," Aaron replied quickly, turning back toward the forward viewscreen. He was still having a hard time grasping the idea that the captain had chosen him to command the Gamma Section. Commanding a starship, or part of a starship, wasn't like leading an away team.

Mike shook his head slightly as if he didn't quite believe Aaron's reply. Aaron knew that without an official assignment, it didn't really matter where Mike ended up in this particular situation. There had been a little disagreement between them when Aaron had found out that Mike would be reporting to Gamma Section, but in the end, Aaron realized that it would have been a waste of time to argue. It wasn't that he didn't want Mike around...it was just...

"I'm not going to have to force you into that chair, am I," Mike asked in a low voice, pulling Aaron from his thoughts. He couldn't tell if Mike was being serious or not, which seemed even more strange in the awkward waiting game they were now engaged in.

Considering for a moment, Aaron finally turned so that he was facing the center chair. He took a step towards it and paused. Something was holding him back, but he couldn't quite figure out what it was. It didn't really make any sense, when he thought about it. Command was a challenge, just like any other leadership role. If the captain was willing to trust him with the position, there was no reason he should be shying away from it.

With renewed confidence, Aaron crossed the last few steps to the center of the bridge and turned so that he was facing forward again. Slowly, he lowered himself into the chair and placed his arms on the armrests to either side. Now that he was sitting in the chair, it didn't feel all that formidable to him. In fact, it almost felt comfortable, which would explain why the captain or first officer would be able to spend so much time there.

He let his gaze wander over the consoles to either side of the chair before sweeping the rest of the bridge. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a smirk on Mike's face that drew his attention. "What are you smiling at," Aaron demanded, giving Mike a firm look.

"Oh, nothing," Mike replied, wiping the smirk from his face so that he looked dead serious. A moment later, however, the smirk was slowly making itself visible again. This time, it was Aaron's turn to shake his head.

Aaron turned his attention forward again and tugged slightly at his uniform jacket, which had ridden up slightly when he sat down. So far, there was no sign of the Elyshan fleet that they knew was rapidly approaching their position. The moment of humor passed and the awkward silence returned as they waited...

OFF

Ensign Mike Kepler (PNPC)
Security Officer
USS Malinche

Played by
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
Chief Security/Tactical Officer & 2XO
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Orlando Crew

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:25 am

ON:
<<USS Peacekeeper, Bridge, Day 4, 1600>>

After her initial set-up and familiarization with the bridge's science station, Aniela had decided to take some additional time to read up on the Elyshans. The report she'd found on the console had been fairly enlightening, at least from her perspective as someone who hadn't dealt with the race before. She knew that the man in charge of the Peacekeeper this day had been in the Science department for this vessel before becoming the base's Executive Officer and had been toying with the idea of making conversation with him or asking about the Elyshans. Unfortunately, her somewhat shy, reserved nature kept Aniela a bit too nervous to do so. Maybe in another five or ten minutes she could drum up more courage...

"All hands, this is the bridge," Arthur announced from where he stood in the center of the room, "As many of you may already be aware, a fleet of Elyshan vessels has been detected en route to Starbase 386. Captain Lange has ordered all battle ready vessels to form a defense perimeter around the station in anticipation of their arrival. Some of you have served aboard the Peacekeeper before...some of you are here for the very first time. Let me assure you that we will do all in our power to prevent this from coming to direct conflict, but if that happens...we will be ready. Prepare for immediate departure."

Aniela listened to Arthur - he certainly seemed comfortable being in charge. She wasn't sure what she - or the Peacekeeper in general - could do to prevent an actual conflict per se... Regardless, Aniela made sure her short and long range scan routines were ready. "Science is ready, sir."

Personnel moved about the bridge, making preparations for the combat they were about to face, but Arthur remained calm amidst the chaos. He gave Darvetti a slight nod to acknowledge her report before turning his attention to the launch preparations.

"Ops has cleared us for immediate departure, sir," reported the young woman stationed at the operations console behind and to Arthur's left. She slid her hands along the surface of her console, monitoring power readings. The Peacekeeper was primed and ready to launch, but it would be her job to make sure that power distribution was allocated to the proper systems, should they get into a fight.

Again, Arthur gave a slight nod, acknowledging the information without a vocal reply. He stepped forward and placed a hand on the railing just behind the helm. "Clear all moorings, ahead one quarter impulse power, Mr. Mills (NPC)," he ordered.

"Aye sir," Greg said and he tapped the commands into his console.

Slowly, the docking mechanisms retracted from their connection points as the Peacekeeper's impulse reactors came to life. The Intrepid class vessel slid out of position and angled away from the station, passing over the core and out toward where the other Federation ships were taking up position in a defensive perimeter.

Watching the viewscreen as the Peacekeeper pulled out, Aniela stood quietly at her station. Her eyes moved slowly around the bridge. She couldn't help but wonder if, after this, she would have the opportunity to be on the Orlando's bridge.

"Penny for your thoughts, lieutenant," Arthur said, turning from where he had been standing at the railing. The Englishman took a few steps across the open center of the bridge until he was standing relatively near to where Darvetti was at the science station.

Aniela looked over at Arthur, "Well, sir, to be honest, I'm wondering if I'll have the chance to serve aboard the USS Orlando. I don't know all that much about the Elyshans - other than what was in the report I found and a few rumors - but I don't think them sending a Fleet here is a good sign."

The woman's reaction was to be expected. With the threat of a large Elyshan fleet so near, he could understand the concern that personnel, especially those who hadn't served during the Dominion War, were having. Indeed, based on the scant information they had, the outlook did not look promising. Add to that the scuttlebutt and rumor that could be added as the news made its way from mouth to ear throughout the system and it wasn't that hard to believe that there was no hope for them at all.

Despair was something that Arthur would not surrender to, however, and he wasn't about to let anyone else under his command succumb to its numbing effects. "Commodore Androski will be very lucky to have a science officer as skilled as yourself, lieutenant," he told her in a low voice, "We'll make it through this yet, don't you worry." Arthur gave her a small, reassuring smile before turning back toward the center of the bridge.

She nodded, feeling a little better about the situation, "Thank you, sir. I hope to be as much use as I can here until I have a chance to meet him." Aniela couldn't help but to still feel a little nervous, but at least the Commander seemed confident. And perhaps the Elyshans were just coming to bully them, rather than to blow them to smithereens.

Taking a seat in the command chair, Arthur allowed his gaze to sweep the bridge again. There was no denying that the mood in the room was quite tense, a reflection of the emotions felt by every individual aboard the Peacekeeper. They were engaged in a game of silent waiting...waiting for the storm to strike. Years of experience had taught Arthur patience in the face of such circumstances, but there was still a part of him, however small, that wondered just like the rest of the crew. It reminded him that he was only human.

Feeling a bit more bold, Aniela asked, "If you don't mind my asking, sir, why do you think the Elyshans are coming here now? What do they hope to accomplish?" With the Taevon Summit in progress, it was the likely target, so to speak. But a smaller contingent of ships could have easily made a statement rather than the Fleet they had actually sent.

"An interesting question," Arthur replied, turning his head so that he was looking toward the science station again, "A smaller force could very well have accomplished the same effect, but it is just as possible that the Elyshans are no longer confident in the superiority of their subspace technology."

"They may not be confident in the superiority of it, but I'm confident that it's a rather dangerous technology to be using - especially if the majority of those ships have subspace weapons. It could be devastating to subspace integrity in the region," Aniela replied. Perhaps she was getting ahead of herself, but as a Scientist she couldn't deny the potential implications.

"Subspace weapons are extremely unpredictable," Arthur agreed with a slight nod of his head, "that's why they were banned by the Second Khitomer Accords. However, those accords do not include the So'na or the Elyshan Empire, both of which equip their vessels with subspace weaponry. Yet...at the Battle of Altorus, we discovered a weakness in their strength. We must hope that the time to use that weakness is not yet upon us."

Aniela nodded thoughtfully, "Tri cobalt devices..." She had recalled a mention of it in the report she'd read. It didn't seem like a pleasant option, but if it was between using them or getting blown up, Aniela would prefer the option that let her live. "I hope it doesn't come to an actual battle at all, really. I know battles, or wars for that matter, can't always be avoided, but I'd much rather be exploring a nebula than fighting in a battle."

"I'm sure that there are many others who would agree with you, lieutenant," Arthur replied, "myself included. There comes a time, however, even in this day and age, where we are forced to set aside the tools of science to defend that which we hold dear. Perhaps, if we are lucky, we might even learn a thing or two from what unfolds here today. If we are successful, it will ensure that a new day will dawn in which we might continue exploring the universe."

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Commander Arthur Richardson
Executive Officer
Starbase 386

and

Lieutenant Aniela Darvetti
Chief Science Officer
USS Orlando NCC-58068

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:08 pm

<<USS Malinche, Ready Room, Day 4, 1615>>

Once the separation had been completed, Isabel had returned to her Ready Room. It was true there was little time, but she wanted to review whatever information she could find about the Elyshans that might be of some use. A bit startled at the sound of her doorchime, Isabel said, "Come."

A slighly nervous yet determined Britney (NPC) entered the Ready Room and headed for Isabel's desk. Carefully she placed the stack of PADDs she'd been carrying on the desk next to Isabel. "Sorry to clutter up your desk, ma'am, but these are the reports Lieutenant Commander Barrett got from the Department Heads before he left for Beta Section."

"That's alright, thank you," Isabel replied. She picked up the first PADD from the stack - Security/Tactical's report. Looking down, she noticed Engineering's was next. Curiously Isabel asked Britney, "Did you sort these?"

Britney grew slightly pale, but nodded, "Yes, ma'am. I considered alphabetizing them, but thought I'd instead try to put them in order of most importance." She gave a brief smile before continuing, "I'm not sure how well I did at that, but I wanted to give it a shot. I hope that's okay..."

Isabel smiled, "Yes, it's fine. It looks like you did a good job with it. Thank you." Her eyes skimmed through the Security/Tactical report, looking for the assignments. It appeared that Lieutenant JG Stone (NPC) would be in charge in the Alpha Section and Lieutenant JG Weaver (NPC) would be in charge of Beta. She scanned quickly until she found Derek's (NPC) name - he would be in Alpha. Isabel relaxed slightly, knowing that he would be with her.

Unsure if she should stay or go, Britney stood quietly. Normally she would have gone ahead and left already, but a thought worried her. She wasn't sure if she should ask or not.

As she set the Security/Tactical report aside, Isabel looked over at Britney. Frowning slightly she said, "You seem uneasy... Is there something I can do?"

That was all she needed. Britney nodded quietly as tears began to well up in her eyes, "Ma'am, forgive me, but I'm scared. I've never been in anything remotely like a battle before. And things between Caleb (NPC) and I have been going so well... I'm...I'm worried about him, ma'am."

Isabel gave her Yeoman a knowing smile, "I know exactly what you mean." She picked up the Engineering report and searched for Caleb's name. "Perhaps you'll feel a little better knowing he's in Alpha Section with us?"

"Yes, yes I do, ma'am, thank you," Britney replied. She couldn't be with him right now, but at least she knew she could easily go find him. Well, easy might not be the right word, especially if they took damage... But still, she knew he would be in Alpha.

"You're welcome," Isabel said. Not that she didn't already, but knowing that Britney hadn't checked the report herself further strengthened Isabel's trust in her Yeoman. Honestly though, Isabel wouldn't have blamed Britney if she had. Knowing that there wouldn't be much she would need from her Yeoman for the time being, Isabel asked, "You have some basic first aid training, don't you, Crewman?"

Britney nodded, "Yes, ma'am. I'm afraid it's not really up to StarFleet standards, but I learned some back on Direidi." She wondered what Isabel had in mind for her.

"Why don't you stop down at Sickbay? Ask whoever's in charge for a crash course and basic equipment. If they can use you there, stay, otherwise, come back to the bridge. If anyone's injured during fighting, you could tend to their basic medical needs until they're taken to Sickbay," Isabel told her. Perhaps it wasn't the best assignment, but it would keep Britney occupied and hopefully take her mind off the current situation to some extent.

"I'll do that, ma'am," Britney replied. "Is there anything else you need?"

Isabel shook her head, "No, that's all for now, thank you. Dismissed." She watched as her Yeoman headed out of the Ready Room. Glancing at the PADDs, then back at her display, Isabel decided to download the information into a PADD while looking at the reports. She could review more information on the Elyshans on the bridge if she transferred it.

OFF:

Crewman Britney Liras
Captain's Yeoman
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
played by: Captain Kersare

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A