Mission 15 - Be Wary Of Your Friends (JM with Starbase 386)

Posts for the USS Malinche's missions

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Re: Mission 15 - Be Wary Of Your Friends (JM with Starbase 386)

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:19 am

<<USS Malinche, Sickbay, Day 4, 1625>>

Alone in her office, Julie (PNPC) took a moment to collect her thoughts. Elbows perched on her desk, she slowly rested her head in her hands. It was moments like these when she thought of Alex, moments like these when she missed him so much it was difficult for her to breathe. Glancing at the picture she kept on top of her desk, she took in her husband’s bright smile and laughing eyes.

Smiling to herself, Julie could easily remember the exact moment the picture had been taken, just months after their wedding. God, they’d been so carefree then. Young and unaffected, the future had seemed to limitless to them. They could have never imagined that just two years later...

Despite the tears welling in her eyes, Julie steadfastly refused to cry. Heaven knew she’d shed enough tears over the past few weeks, mourning the loss of the best man she’d ever known and had been so fortunate to love. There was no time for tears now. Alex or no Alex, she had a job to do. Pushing off her desk and jumping to her feet, Julie took one last look at the picture before striding out of her office.

Britney (PNPC), a bit nervous, had walked into Sickbay just moments before. She saw some of the medical staff bustling about and had stopped just inside the door so as to stay out of the way. Thus far Britney hadn't seen the Doctor, but perhaps she was in her office.

Julie observed the reduced staff of Sickbay, her thoughts going to the other Sickbays she’d recently organized with Nora’s help. She didn’t exactly like the idea of having to divide her staff, but she knew that it was necessary. For the time being, she’d simply have to trust that everything would run smoothly with or without her watchful eye. Catching sight of Engisn Liras lingering near the door, Julie walked over to her. “Are you looking for someone?”

"Oh, hello, ma'am, I hope I'm not disturbing you," Britney said apologetically. "I was looking for you, though."

“Ah. Well, you found me,” Julie replied with a hint of a smile. “What can I help you with?”

"Well, ma'am, I have some basic first aid training and since there's not much that the Captain needs me to do right now, she suggested I come see you. I don't really know about StarFleet medical equipment and procedures, but she thought perhaps someone here could brief me and I could either help here or take some supplies and go back to the bridge in case someone gets injured," Britney replied, speaking quickly in her nervousness. She wasn't entirely sure about this idea in general, but it's what the Captain had wanted.

Nodding once, Julie quickly thought the matter over. She could see the merits of having someone with some medical training on the bridge, but at the moment, she decided that Sickbay could use all the help it could get, spread thin as they were. “You’ve come just in time. I was just about to show Ensign Trelani (NPC) some of the basics that he’ll need to know. If you don’t mind, I think that we really could use your help here.”

Britney gave a brief smile. While she was still nervous, it was nice to have something to do that wasn't just paperwork. Not that she didn't like working with the Captain. "I'd be happy to ma'am. Lead the way."

“Right this way then,” Julie said, moving to the empty biobed where Jacob had been waiting nearby. “I’m going to give you two a crash course in some of the basic medical equipment. Are either of you familiar with tricorders?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Jacob nodded. He, like Britney, also had some basic medical knowledge, a direct result from his own personal belief that one could never be over prepared. He had hoped that he’d never have to rely on some of the basics he’d familiarized himself with, but he was grateful that he wasn’t wandering into medical territory totally blind.

Shaking her head, Britney replied, "No, ma'am, I'm afraid I'm not. I've seen them, but haven't used a medical tricorder before..." She felt bad about her lack of knowledge...Jacob apparently already was familiar with them and so she felt like she was holding things back.

“Not a problem, Ensign,” Julie said. “Medical tricorders are pretty straightforward. If you ask me, at least,” she added, smiling lopsidedly. “They’re capable of doing, well, quite a bit, but for our purposes here, what I want you to be familiar with is their ability to thoroughly scan an injured person. Assessing injuries as quickly and efficiently as possible is critical. If things get hectic and no Medical personnel are available to assess any injured crewmembers that arrive in Sickbay, I want you two to do just that.”

Locating two tricorders, Julie handed one to both Britney and Jacob, and then proceeded to show them both the basics behind operating the compact device. Although Jacob had professed to have some familiarity with a tricorder, it gave her some peace of mind to at least give him a refresher course.

Britney took the medical tricorder from the Doctor and watched carefully as she was instructed in its use. It seemed mostly straight forward, thankfully, and she was somewhat relieved to find that the main part of her job would be scanning the injured. Part of her hoped to be more involved, but she knew there would be more opportunities to learn. "So, scan people who are injured, then find one of the medical staff to report their injuries to, ma'am?"

“That’s right,” Julie said. “Obviously the more severe injuries will need to be treated first. Sickbay doesn’t really work on a first come, first serve basis.” Pleased with their progress and pace so far, she decided they were ready to move past tricorders. “Now, as I understand it, you both have basic first aid training and knowledge. How comfortable are you two with treating basic injuries?”

“It’s been a while since I’ve had to use any of my training, but I suppose I feel comfortable enough,” Jacob replied. “I occasionally use a holodeck program to help keep me fresh on the basics.”

"I'm fairly comfortable with it, Doctor. I was usually the one who took care of basic injuries when I was still on Direidi and would try to make sure the patients were alright until the doctor arrived," Britney replied. "Obviously that wasn't exactly recent, but I still remember what I learned."

“Excellent,” Julie said. It really was a relief to have two extra pairs of hands in Sickbay, even if they were only trained in the basics. So-called basic training still had the power to save lives. “Then you both have an idea of what to expect. Now, I’m not saying that things are going to get crazy, but if they do, just remember to keep your tricorders handy, stay calm at all times, and listen carefully to anything me or my staff tell you to do.” Offering them what she hoped was a reassuring smile, she asked, “Any questions?”

Britney looked from the Doctor to Jacob and back to the Doctor. "No, ma'am, not right now." Mostly she was just glad to have something to focus on. The crash course over, Britney's eyes moved across the room as she took it all in. Britney hoped that the situation wouldn't get to the point where Sickbay was filled with injured crew, but at least she now felt more prepared.

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant JG Julie Dormand (PNPC)
Acting Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Played by: Lieutenant Zeral

and

Ensign Jacob Trelani
Counselor
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Played by: Lieutenant Zeral

and

Crewman Britney Liras
Captain's Yeoman
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Played By:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Orlando Crew

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:26 am

[[USS Orlando Briefing Room, Station Day 4, 2240 hours]]

As Jason (NPC) walked into the briefing room, he saw that some of his bridgemates were already there - Janis (NPC) was seated on the other side of the table and Turok (NPC) was a few seats over from her. He wasn't surprised that the Vulcan was early - at the latest Jason was sure that Turok would have been precisely on time. Looking at Janis, Jason noted that she was reviewing information on a PADD - probably a bit of cramming before the briefing started. He took a seat in between Turok and Janis.

Sophie entered. She was in a better mood, but still she couldn't shake the thought that people were purposefully breaking everything on the ship. She could not help but to look like she was about ready to toss people out the airlock. And he did not want to think about how much repairs were going to be needed for the Orlando. She just prayed Starbase 386 had repair facilites.

Greg entered the briefing room in his body armor trailed by Sergeant Major Marcus Kenton, "We don't have a choice, Sarge, there are far to many ships out there to do things by the book. Besides I don't want to capture the things, only blow them to peices."

Marcus (NPC) gave a nod, "I still don't like it," he said as he took a place behind the Captain.

R'Sera walked in behind Marcus then sat down next to him. Her tail was moving in an erratic tension as she thought about the fleet of opposition outside.

Kiley entered the briefing room and took a seat. So far the exact reason for her presence at this meeting was not clear. Placing her PADD on the table she listened carefully.

Quinn entered the room, his pace somewhat faster than normal, and took his seat. Looking around, he noted that the Assistant Chief Flight Control Officer was present and nodded appreciative towards her. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I doubt I need to tell you the position we are in."

Janis looked up as Quinn walked in and set aside her PADD for the time being. "My tactical display is lit up like a Christmas tree, sir...I have a pretty good idea what position we're in." She decided not to add that she didn't that position. They were in it and would have to deal with it.

Remaining silent, Turok simply waited for the others to make their comments so that their Commanding Officer could continue with the briefing. The Vulcan was well aware of the situation and did not want to worry the others more than necessary unless he had to. The statistics he had come up with were not encouraging.

Greg looked over at the Captain before speaking up, "I've adjusted coverage to free up half my Marines for offensive actions against hostile enemy ships. The Sergeant-Major will be in charge of the Marine contingent if we do launch an attack." He added giving a nod to the big Sergeant behind him.

"With all due respect, captain, offensive action is not our goal here," Tobias said calmly as he entered from the bridge. He made his way toward his usual position at the table but did not take a seat. Instead, he stood behind the chair, his hands resting at the top of the headrest. In one hand, he held a small PADD with the face towards himself so that it was not visible.

Greg looked over and gave a frown, "Maybe all they want is a hug or someone to talk to," he responded sarcastically.

Sophie responded, "Then what is our goal? To stand around and get blasted into oblivion? We're pushing this ship so hard, I cannot gurantee I'll be able to keep up with all the damage we're going to sustain."

"Our goal," Quinn said, waiting for everyone to calm down, "is to find a peaceful solution to this situation. That said, we are going to have to prepare for the worst."

"I've analyzed the deployment of both fleets," Tobias said, "It would appear that the Elyshans have not made any definitive movements against the station or the other vessels defending it." From where he stood, the El-Aurian slowly lowered the PADD he was holding to the table, face up, and slid it towards the commodore. "For the moment, it would appear that both sides are engaged in a standoff," Tobias concluded.

Waiting a moment, Quinn said, "Captain Jackson, the offensive marines will report to the shuttlebay. If it comes to it, you'll take the Lancaster (Avro class transport) to aid where needed. Ms. Dair, I know you're not a combat pilot, but we need an experienced pilot to command the fighter wing. Everyone else will, of course, remain on the Orlando and prepare to defend the ship if it comes to that."

"Yes, sir," Greg replied with a nod of his head.

"Aye Sir," Kiley replied. This would be a chance to test her skills. It also explained why she had been summoned to attend this briefing. One way or another Dair wanted to prove herself to her new Command staff. "Do we have a specific objective at this point or are we simply to provide extra protection?"

Quinn shook his head. "Right now we're just trying to be prepared. If something does happen, we won't have time to launch the fighters so we want them out as soon as we can."

Sophie sighed, "The Elyshan Empire does not care about the means they take to an end, Commodore. Nor do they pay heed to what the future brings. All that concerns them is the present. They'll attack first."

Quinn looked to the young engineer. "They may not pay heed to the future, as you put it, but all that means is that we must do so more so than before. Our weapons are no match for their subspace shields and their weapons rival their shields in advancement."

Watching the exchange with some interest, Tobias knew that time was not a concept easily grasped by anyone. It was fluid and amorphous, highly contradicting to the ideas of fate and certainty. The thought that it was "fate" for the Federation and the Elyshans to clash in all out war was something that the El-Aurian did not agree with. There would always be the opportunity to alter the perceived outcome, even through the actions of one individual. It had happened before and it would happen again.

Now was not the time, however, to be debating the philosophy of fate or destiny, it was a time for action. El-Aurians, by their very nature, were not a hasty people. Tobias often thought of the Ents of Tolkien mythology from Earth's twentieth century, a long-lived race that often took time to make any decision. His species may not have been so rigidly deliberate, but their lifespans often made it easier for them to take a few moments to consider a situation. However, it was clear, even to him, that their situation required action. What's more, they needed to be proactive in their thoughts and not settle themselves to only reacting to what the Elyshans were doing.

A lull had appeared in the table discussion and Tobias saw an opportunity to interject. "Mr. Saunders, has there been much communications traffic amongst our own ships," he asked, fixing his gaze on the young operations officer.

Jason, a bit surprised at being addressed, sat up a little straighter before replying, "Well, sir, since we've arrived there has been some communications between the Federation ships. If I had to warrant a guess, it's likely due at least in part to us showing up." He hadn't read through all the communiques, as they'd been sent via secure channels due to the presence of the Elyshan Fleet. Hopefully the information he'd provided would be enough for Tobias.

With a slight tilt of his head, Tobias acknowledged the information, then continued to address the table as a whole. "When we first arrived, I noticed that a number of the vessels present display signs of having suffered battle damage," he continued, turning to the tactical officer in the room, "Would you concur, Ms. Erickson?"

Janis looked over at Tobias, "Yes, sir, I agree. On several of the the ships it appears that repairs have at least been started, though perhaps not entirely finished. Other ships with what seems to be battle damage are in the Shipyard as well."

"Thank you, ensign," Tobias said with a slight smile, "Based on this evidence, I believe that there was an engagement prior to our current situation. The fact that the Elyshans have not yet made any overt action to attack the station or the vessels defending it, it is safe to assume that they are not confident in victory."

"Then we should find out for sure," Greg replied pulling up a display, "A quick snatch and grab op, if we go behind the Elyshan fleet hopefully we'll catch a resupply vessel on it's way here. We secure the ship and read it's data files."

Tobias turned toward the marine captain with a firm look. “Aggressive action is the last thing we want at this point, captain,” the El-Aurian repeated slowly, “We are currently in a standoff with over two hundred and fifty Elyshan vessels, which gives us a numerical disadvantage. It is not our intent to start a war here. Any attempt to commandeer an Elyshan vessel will be perceived as a threat and acted upon.” He continued to rest his gaze on the marine for a moment longer, before turning toward Androski.

Quinn looked from marine to helmsman. "Commander Naros is correct. We shouldn't do anything that would provoke open hostilities. For now, we wait."

Sophie responded. "And in the mean time, I'll have to go aboard the Starbase and ask them if they have a spare Type VI-G Dilithium Matrix just lying around. Then it will take me four hours to install it."

Quinn's eyes wandered from the padd before him up and across the table to where Sophie was sitting. "The reinstall will have to wait, Lieutenant. Our current predicament dictates that you stay on board. As it is the crystals are holding together for the moment and I am sure that they will continue to do so, though I assure you, Lieutenant, once we are out of our current situation we will put into drydock for repairs."

She sighed heavily and remained silent. 'I need a drink.' She thought to herself. 'Something nice and strong.'

Quinn nodded, dismissed the officers, and leaned back in his chair. No matter what happened, it would affect the rest of their lives.

OFF:

Commodore Quinn Androski
Commanding Officer
USS Orlando

Lieutenant Commander Tobias Naros
Chief Flight Control Officer/Second Officer
USS Orlando

Marine Captain Greg Jackson
Marine Commanding Officer
USS Orlando

Lieutenant Sophie Deveraux
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Orlando

Lieutenant JG Kiley Dair
Assistant Chief Flight Control Officer
USS Orlando

Ensign Jason Saunders (NPC)
Operations Officer
USS Orlando
Played by: Lt. Darvetti

Ensign Turok (NPC)
Physicist
USS Orlando

and

Ensign Janis Erickson (NPC)
Tactical Officer
USS Orlando
This is a post by a member of the USS Orlando's crew.
http://uss-orlando.kersare.net/trsm/index.php

Peters
Senior Staff

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:02 pm

ON: <USS Malinche, Alpha Section Engineering, Day 4, 1630>

Sean shook his head as he looked at the monitor in front of him. The captain had requested he work with Commander Peters to add more power to the shields, but the task was proving slightly more difficult for Sean because of the added fact that the ship was shortly going to be splitting into three parts, something he had never had to deal with before.

Peters sighed as he ran the numbers again. It wasn't working. There wasn't any way to do what he wanted without completely reconfiguring the shield generators... and that would take days. They only had hours, if even that long. "Alright, I think we can scrap the Subspace inversion field idea... if any tears form the base or one of the other ships will have to deal with them. We don't have the right model of shield generators to make it easy, relatively speaking."

Sean gave a single, forced laugh. "If anything about this situation was easy, the Elyshans would be on their way home with their tails between their legs by now." he said, partially under his breath. "Now," he continued at full volume, "what if we divert power from the nacelles of the sections to the deflector dishes? If we used them to create an ultra-high frequency bubble, it may help block at least part of their subspace weapons abilities."

Peters thought about that for a moment. "That's a possibility. Certainly with the shields up the Navigational Deflector is a bit superfluous, especially at sub-light speeds. Any solution basically requires using nearly the full output of the warp core to shore up the shields and running the other primary systems on the Impulse reactors."

Sean nodded as he put the idea into the computer for it to run a few simulations. He gave a slight twist of the head before looking at the commander. "The beta and gamma section seem to run fine but the core for alpha section isn't powerful enough, it's giving inconsistent shielding at best."

"Not surprising," Peters muttered to himself. "Alpha has the best maneuverability, but the least power and firepower. It's only a fair trade if you have a really good pilot aboard."

"I guess we'll see if Mister McCarty is as good as he claims to be." Sean said, thinking back to the brief encounters with the officer that he had had since coming aboard. "So, we have a plan for two thirds of the ship, we can have our teams start on those, but what about alpha section?"

"We're going to have to find some other solution... or find a way to make this solution work on less power," Peters replied as he started tapping in a few commands on his panel. There had to be something...

Sean sighed and brought up a more detailed view of the alpha section on his monitor. Time was running out and they weren't even half the way to solving the problem and implementing it. Sean's eyes widened slightly and he began tapping commands furiously into the console. "The ablative armor, how much energy do you think it could absorb and store? Even for a microsecond?"

"The shorter the time the more power it could handle. Prior to starting the ablating process we're talking a few kilojoules, though." Peters looked over at Hansen. "What did you have in mind?"

Sean stammered slightly, trying to process and speak his thoughts at the same time. "Well... I mean... it would be shak... probably blow out... no no no... but then we coul..."

Peters snapped his fingers a couple of times to stop Hanson's runaway train of thought. "One sentence at a time, Lieutanant. What's the idea?"

Sean stopped quickly and blinked. "We use the armor like a lightning rod. If we could store the energy in the armor's matrix for just long enough to route it through the EPS grid, we could use the Elyshans own weapons to reinforce the shields!"

Peters quirked an eyebrow. "That could work, but how are you going to get the energy from the armor matrix to the EPS grid? The only power lines to the hull connect to sensor pallets or the deflector grid."

Sean sighed and looked at the commander, it figured that he'd poke a hole in his idea the moment he put it into words. Sighing, Sean shook his head, "I suppose we could pull the lines from the sensors we don't need. We're probably not going to be mapping any nebulae today anyway. Problem is I haven't a clue how long it would take to do it."

"If you don't mind me drafting a few of your people, not long at all," Peters replied. "Maybe half an hour."

Sean shook his head, "Not at all, Commander. As long as we get it to work, you can have the whole department."

Peters clapped Hansen on the shoulder and grinned. "Then let's get to work. I don't feel like becoming part of a plasma field today."

Sean smiled slightly as he grabbed his toolkit and the two officers made their way quickly out of the engineering.

OFF:

A Joint Post by:

Lt. Sean Hansen
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche

&
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Peters
Senior Staff

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:13 pm

ON: <Gamma Section Bridge, USS Malinche, Station Day 04, 2248>

Nothing had really changed all that much in the past two hours that they had been monitoring the Elyshan fleet surrounding the station. Other than the arrival of the USS Ticonderoga and the USS Orlando, neither side had made any serious move against the other.

On the bridge of the Malinche's Gamma Section, Aaron sat in the center chair, watching the main viewscreen. The tension in the room was still there, though it was somewhat subdued at the moment. Each of them knew that, at any moment, the status quo could change drastically.

D'Vhal glared at the Elyshan fleet on the main viewscreen from his position at the Engineering panel. They had been sitting out there for hours now and every passing minute chafed at D'Vhal's patience. Klingons, even engineers, did not like waiting for battle. He growled softly and muttered, "Why do the petaQs not attack?"

"They do not have to," Aaron remarked, catching the Klingon's comment, "The presence of such a large fleet of vessels has already made a statement and without even firing a shot, they have every Federation and allied asset in this system on the highest alert."

"Pah," D'Vhal replied with a sneer. "More proof that they are cowards. Klingons would never assemble such a fleet unless they intended to use it."

"I'm not sure the Elyshans believe in the same tactics as the Klingons," Aaron said, turning slightly so that he was facing the engineer, "We have a saying on Earth, 'Speak softly and carry a big stick.'" He noticed a smirk on Mike's (NPC) face out of the corner of his eye, but did not turn to look.

D'Vhal nodded his understanding of the idiom. "I have heard it. Klingons do not speak softly," he said. "But we have been known to carry sticks."

Letting out a short laugh, Mike quickly stifled it when D'Vhal looked in his direction. Aaron sighed inwardly and tried his best not to chuckle aloud, but the brief moment of humor seemed to brighten their predicament just a little. He slowly turned so that he was facing forward again and was not surprised to see that nothing had changed on the forward viewscreen. "What's our engineering status," he asked casually.

"All systems are operational and ready," D'Vhal replied proudly. "Lieutenant C'eltor reports that the shield modifications are in place and stable. If the petaQs use subspace weapons, we will have at least some protection."

Aaron nodded once to acknowledge the report. The shield modifications would give them some protection but, based on what little Starfleet knew of subspace weapons and the fact that they had been banned by the Second Khitomer Accords meant that there was a great unknown involved. If it did come down to a direct conflict...well, it was best to keep hoping that it didn't.

D'Vhal tapped another query into his panel, checking the status of all systems again. He knew the rest of the crew wanted to avoid combat here. Being a Klingon, he was less concerned with the thought of having to fight, but he did want to get this standoff over with, one way or another.

OFF:

A JP by

Lieutenant JG Aaron Masterson
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche

Ensign Mike Kepler (PNPC)
Security Officer
USS Malinche
Played by: Lt. JG Masterson

and

Warrant Officer 2nd Class D'Vhal
Engineering Officer
USS Malinche
As Played by:
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:02 pm

OFF: This is a backpost - continuation from last post by Lieutenant JG McCarty

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Bridge, Day 4, 1415>>

Isabel raised an eyebrow as she found Jake standing in front of her on the bridge. Based on her conversation with Nora the previous evening, she certainly hadn't expected him on the bridge. From the look in his eyes, Isabel guessed that he had likely just suffered from another hallucination. "Are you alright, Mr. McCarty?"

Jake looked at Isabel puzzled. Many questions passed through his mind at one time. "I...don't know ma'am." He knew all too well he had just had another hallucination except this time the entire bridge staff saw it. "What happened? Why are we at red alert?" he rubbed his cheek again. "And why does my cheek hurt?"

"We're not at Red Alert," Isabel said slowly. "As far as your cheek, I didn't see anything until I turned around and then found you directly in front of me." She motioned for him to join her off to the side, away from the other bridge officers and then said quietly, "Were you hallucinating, Mr. McCarty?"

Jake knew he couldn't lie his way out of this one and doing so would only detriment his chances of returning to duty. It was now he realized he would have to start talking to others about his problem in hopes he would one day return to normal. "Yes ma'am." he said to her quietly.

She paused a few moments before saying, "Let's go to my Ready Room." Isabel led the way and sat at the table just inside the entrance. Waiting until Jake entered and took a seat, she then said, "I realize that it's not easy to admit something like that and appreciate the gravity of you doing so. I'm guessing you've not returned to see Lieutenant Zeral since your initial visit?"

Jake sighed. "You're right ma'am this isn't easy at all. Especially for a guy like me. First of all I'm not one to discuss my personal life with other people. All my life I have been able to sort this kind of stuff out on my own. I have no idea why this is different." He paused for a moment than scoffed. "You may not know this but being a Captain isn't the only stressful job. Sure you have to make those life or death decisions, but as a pilot... Well sometimes I don't have the luxury of waiting for them. Even if you do make them, I still have to execute them. Right now I am in a spot unfamiliar to me and I don't care for it much. I should be on the bridge piloting this vessel not hallucinating over a battle from the past. Conflicts happen all the time, people lose friends all the time. I don't see why this one was any different."

Listening as he spoke, Isabel waited for his outburst to end, "I am perfectly aware that being Commanding Officer isn't the only stressful job, Mr. McCarty. I've served as Chief Engineer and Executive Officer previously and besides that, I know that any job can be stressful under certain circumstances. However, I do expect you to wait for orders rather than just doing whatever you want."

Jake smiled. "Ma'am I wont lie to you. I will follow your orders sometimes with resistance but I will follow through. However if I believe the time constraints do not allow me to ask questions, I will act as I feel I need to and deal with the consequences later. It's what I signed up for."

"Obviously something about what happened on the Destiny makes it different for you. You need to find out why so that you can make peace with it - that's likely the only way you'll be able to stop the hallucinations," she continued. "That's why you need to work with the Counselor. She can help you."

"Sir, I can deal with this on my own I don't need the counselor watching over me every 5 minutes. I just need time to adjust." Jake said.

Conaway leaned back in his chair and sighed. "Stubborn like your father. Son listen to me, we are all suffering here and it is perfectly fine to admit you need time to adjust, but it is also fine to admit you need to talk to someone. It doesn't need to be the counselor it can be a friend, anyone you wish but you can't just continue to ignore the problem!

Jake stood up. "Sir! If we are all suffering than why haven't you been relieved of your command? There are a dozen officers on this ship who could get us home!" he said raising his voice.

Conaway stood up nose to nose with McCarty. "Because I'm not the one who is overworking himself!" he replied matching Jake's tone.

McCarty sat down again. "Sir, with all due respect. I will get us home in one piece. If at anytime during this trip I feel I am no longer fit I will step aside Sir." he said returning to a calm tone.

Conaway also sat back down. "Son I hope for our sake and Captain Kersare's sake you do. I'll be watching you Lieutenant. Just remember, we're a family son. We leave no man behind and no man shall be ignored."

Jake looked down at his lap for a moment. When he looked back up, he was staring at Captain Kersare again. Confusion set in, for the first time in his career he was feeling unsure of himself or what to say.

As she watched him, Isabel didn't have to ask if he'd just hallucinated again. The frequency of the hallucinations was disturbing. Hopefully it wasn't a regular thing, but she was certain that Jake needed to get it sorted out. Looking at him she said, "I'm sure it's unsettling to have these hallucinations and I'm sure that you are a good pilot. We need to take care of the first part so that you can show us the second part. Do you think you're ready to see Lieutenant Zeral again?"

McCarty continued to look at the Captain with utter confusion. He understood what the Captain had said but there were so many voices in his mind. He was trying to sort through the noise and come up with a suitable response. He rubbed his eyes with his hand and let out a long drawn sigh. "Perhaps it would be a good idea to go see her Ma'am." he replied softly.

Isabel nodded. "Take a few minutes to collect yourself, and then go see her," she answered quietly. Her eyes watched the young man carefully.

McCarty blinked slowly a couple times than stood up and straightened his uniform. "Thank you Ma'am." He turned and exited her ready room. When he walked through her doors he half expected to find himself on the bridge of the Destiny again, thankfully it was the Malinche's bridge. He smiled and headed for the Counselor's office.

OFF:

JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant JG Jake McCarty
Assistant Chief Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Steele
Senior Staff

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:21 pm

On:
USS Malinche
Gamma Section
Day 4: 17:50 hrs

Tired of waiting on the bridge, and in all reality not needed, he made his way do what passed for sickbay in the section. The small medical staff present were surprised when he showed up uninjured and without warning.

"Can I help you Lieutenant?"

"Actually I came to offer my assistance should combat occur. I have had my field medic certification since the Dominion War and have kept it current. It should be on file, Aaron Steele"

The doctor pulled up Aaron's file on the computer and confirmed his certification.
"You're stationed on the bridge for this mission correct?"

"That's right, why?"
Aaron didn't see what his location had to do with anything.

In response to his question, the doctor pulled out a large medkit and handed it to Aaron.
"Take this back with you and stash it somewhere secure. If combat does occur having a medic on the bridge will make our job a little bit easier…"

Aaron returned to the bridge just in time to see several torpedoes streak towards the opposing fleet. Watching their trajectory he realized they were simply warning shots and not the opening salvo of a war. A check of the comm panel told him that they still were unable to break through the jamming signal. Whatever they were doing out there it was very effective at limiting communications. Breaking through jamming signals was something he had only limited experience with but he got to work on the problem anyway. If nothing else it was an effective use of his time.
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Barrett
Senior Staff

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:30 pm

<<USS Malinche>>
<Beta Section Bridge, 2248, Day 4>

Jason was still pacing the bridge, watching the clock tick away. Thus far the only real aggressive move the Elyshans had made was moving around a wing of thier fighters and that was met by a move on their part. But other then that, no one seemed to keen on...well doing anything. It was a frustrating situation.

Of course Jason's frustration was no doubt compounded by the fact that Joey had mentioned that he needed to talk to Adam (NPC). Joey wouldn't say much more then that, which was also frustrating the XO. If there was something wrong then Jason needed to know so that he could help fix it. He shook his head, his personal problems would have to wait.

"You're going to wear a whole in the deck plating," Joey (NPC) warned.

"As opposed to the hole that you are going to put in that console if you keep tapping at it?" Ryan (NPC) asked.

"We aren't going to have to worry about them blowing us up," Joey stated, gesturing toward the viewscreen. "We're going to annoy each other to death."

"At least its something to do," Jason smiled. That comment seemed to lighten the entire mood of the bridge.

"Ops, any headway on tracking down that jamming signal?"

"None," Joey stated, hanging his head. "I've been running it through every filter that we have and the closest I can get is pinpointing it within a few hundred meters. Once we survive this, I think that we need to put some serious thought into coming up with a way to break through a signal like this incase they try again."

"Agreed," Ryan stated. "The shield modifications are in place, not sure how long they will hold though."

"You better have some good aim then," Jason said. "For some reason I highyl doubt that Captain Kersare would like it if we returned this part of her ship to her missing a nacelle or two."

"How mad do you think she'd be if we just stracthed the paint?" Joey asked, a mischeavious look in his eyes.

"I'd rather not find out," Jason smiled.

OFF:
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:47 pm

OFF: This is a backpost
ON: <<USS Malinche, Isabel's Quarters, Day 3, 1800>>

After some time on the Starbase, Isabel had returned to her quarters. The time off was nice, though she was curious what the Malinche's next set of orders would be, and when. Isabel had her doubts that StarFleet would want them to stay for the entire conference, after all. Hearing the doorchime, Isabel called from the couch, "Come in."

The walk to Captain Kersare’s quarters had helped to clear Nora’s thoughts. Although she was still feeling troubled after her session with Lieutenant McCarty, she knew that speaking with Isabel about the situation would bring her some peace of mind. After receiving permission to enter, Nora stepped inside, smiling as she approached Isabel.

Seeing Nora before her, Isabel had to assume that the visit was due to Jake. "I take it you met with our new Assistant Chief Flight Control Officer?"

Her smile faltering, Nora sighed heavily. “I did indeed, Captain. Do you have a few moments to talk?”

"Have a seat," Isabel said. "Do you want anything to eat or drink?"

“I'm fine, but thank you,” Nora replied. Food was the last thing on her mind at the moment. Taking a seat, she made herself comfortable. “I’ll get straight to the point, Captain, if you don’t mind. Lieutenant McCarty came to see me as per your request, and I’m afraid that things didn’t go very well.”

Isabel nodded, frowning, "I was afraid that would be the case. When I met him earlier, he seemed to be quite affected by what happened on the Destiny...he broke down in tears in my Ready Room. What happened?"

“I wondered why you sent him to me,” Nora said thoughtfully. “Our session started out well enough, but he wasn’t very forthcoming about his experiences aboard the Destiny and I felt very strongly that he was hiding something. I tried to encourage him to speak openly with me, but I must have struck a nerve. He reacted very strongly, and I decided it was best to remove him from active duty for the time being.” She sighed, still feeling disappointed by her session with Jake.

"Somehow I didn't expect that he'd be overly willing to talk about his experiences with you. He seemed focused on staying on active duty but equally as focused on not getting help," Isabel replied. "I can't say I'm surprised you had to remove him from active duty. I nearly did when he was in my Ready Room earlier."

“Before he left my office, he had some sort of a flashback. I’m convinced that he's suffering from PTSD following his experiences on the Destiny, but he hasn’t come to terms with it yet.”

Raising an eyebrow Isabel said, "A flashback? That's even more of a reason for him to not be on duty... Is there anything that you could do to try to convince him he needs help? Or would it be best to just leave him off active duty and wait for him to come around?"

“It’s difficult to say,” Nora admitted. She had been asking herself the same question. “He wasn't very thrilled to have to meet with me in the first place. Ideally, he really should see a counselor, whether it be myself or one of the other counselors. At the very least, I would recommend that he at least be evaluated by a counselor or a member of the Medical staff before returning to active duty. But as far as actual treatment, I can only help him if he allows me to.”

Though part of her had expected something along the lines of the answer Nora had given her, Isabel was still a bit disheartened. She also wondered why StarFleet would transfer someone to her ship if they wouldn't be fit for duty. Isabel replied, "Well, I suppose all we can do now is hope that he'll come around and realize he needs some help working through this. And I don't want him to do so unless he really means it - otherwise, having him return to duty could put lives at risk."

Nora nodded. “I would have to agree. It’s an unfortunate situation all around.” Attempting to replace her frown with a smile, she added, “I really should be more optimistic about all of this. I am the Chief Counselor, after all. It's just that in situations like these, I always wonder what more I could have done to help. But I’m sure everything will work out as it should.”

Isabel gave Nora a brief smile, "Hopefully all he needs is a little time. I don't want to hold you up, but if there's any progress, please let me know."

“Of course, Captain,” Nora agreed, rising from the couch. “Well, I think it’s about time I visited the Starbase. I’ve waited long enough,” she smiled. “Have a wonderful evening, and thank you, Captain.”

OFF:

A JP brought to you by:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

DeSouza
Senior Staff

Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:46 am

ON:
[S.S. Starling, Day 4, 1100 hours.]

“MAKE A HOLE!” A female voice shouted out. An exotic looking woman pushed her way to the front of the civilian transport. On the floor in front of her was a young woman of at least partial Bolian descent, fitting on the floor.

“Who are you?” One of the flight attendant asked as Renata lent besides the young woman, checking her airways were clear.

“I need somebody to gain access to the luggage hold. In it is a purple leather satchel, bring it to me and be quick about it.” The woman barked, pulling a small pen light from her jacket pocket and shining it into the fitting woman’s eyes. “She’s unresponsive. Damn.” She quickly stood and turned to one of the flight crew. “What drugs do you have onboard? And where is my damned bag?”

“The Captain will not release anything from the hold without good cause, and we are not authorised to release medicines onboard to unknown people.” The attendant replied.

Thumbing around in her jacket pocket the woman pulled out a set of ID. “My name is Renata De Souza. I’m a doctor with Starfleet Medical and this woman is in anaphylactic shock. Without immediate medical attention this woman will die. I have asked you once, now I am telling you. Bag and whatever drugs you have onboard. NOW!” Renata dropped down next to the fitting woman again and picked her up, the womans body convulsing in Renatas arms. Renata walked through the masses of people, carrying her charge towards the main bar area, placing the woman upon it. She pointed towards two of the flight crew. “You and you hold her down.” Renata turned to look at the amassed people. “Does anyody here have any form of medical training?” She asked before the flight attendant from earlier returned with Renatas bag.

An older passenger in his 80’s moved forward from the crowd. “I’m a former nurse, but it has been some time.”

Renata pulled a tricorder from her bag before throwing the bag at the older gent who caught it with ease. “Your reflexes are still good, I’ll take it.” Renata turned to look at the flight attendant. “How far away are we from Starbase 386?”

“8 minutes until transporter range.” She replied looking over at the fitting woman. “Is she going to be okay?”

“If I can stabilise her, yes, if not she’ll be dead before we hit the starbase. Tell the captain to hail the USS Malinche docked at Starbase 386. Inform them that I am onboard and need an O.R prepped for emergency surgery for one Bolian hybrid, as soon as we reach transporter range you’ll beam us both over.” Renata took command of the situation, her head clear, her voice calm and even. The attendant offered Renata a sealed medkit. Opening it she inspected its contents. “This is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.” She pulled a phial of liquid and held it up. “ Epinephrine, far from ideal with Bolian physiology, but we’ll have to work with what we’ve got.” She turned to look at her newly acquired nurse. “Third pocket in you’ll find a hypospray and a phial of Lectazine.....”

“Two part Lactazine to one part Epinephrine, got it.” The nurse replied, loading the hypospray and handing it to Renata.

OFF: - To be continued

*Edited for continuity purposes
Last edited by DeSouza on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant Renata De Souza
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

N'rass
Senior Staff

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:23 pm

<<USS Malinche>>
<Beta Section Jeffries tube, 2300, Day 4>

L'Randil sat down against the back of the tube junction opposite the assisting ensign as he closed the access panel. The extended shift was beginning to wear on the caitian but it seemed to be wearing on the human more. They both slumped back and sighed.

"How long have you been on duty now, Ma'am?" He asked timidly.

"Thirteen hours." She sighed. "Normal enough. For an insomniac it is not a big deal." Then she paused. "Why do you seem so nervous? I am only an ensign?"

He shrugged. "You don't act like one. You act like a crew chief and it makes sense to follow."

The caitian smirked. "I'll take that as a compliment. I thought it was because you were afraid of me being a 'cat'."

"Oh, no, Ma'am." Johnson shook his head. "It took some getting used to, but I joined the fleet to meet new races. I will say, though that you are the only one I have met with a tail."

"I get that a lot." She rolled her eyes. "It took some getting used to for me when I went to the academy and pretty much nobody had tails or ears."

"Or fur." He added.

"Or that. At least you don't mind. What is your specialty normally?"

"I am a power systems analyst, Ma'am"

She shook her head. "Please, stop calling me Ma'am. I am only twenty one. Just call me L'Randil or Randi."

"Alright, sorry." He said apologetically. "What is yours again?"

"Shuttle tech. At this point I am the only one. It is a big switch from The Thud. I was second on a flight crew, of a fighter wing. Big group big deck. I like it here though, it's a bit more variety here." She paused and looked around. "I would never get into a tube there, or even work in main engineering."

"I see."

=/\= "Engineering to L'Randil." Her comm badge interrupted.

"Yes?" She replied.

"The junction is working normally now, return to engineering for further orders."

"Understood. L'Randil out." She sighed and reached for her tool kit. Johnson was already up and extended a hand for her to pull up on. She had not seen that in a while, then smiled in response.

"I hope we work more together, Johnson." She said as they crawled.

"You can call me Will if you want."

"Will do, Will." She joked.
Lieutenant JG L'Randil N'rass
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Starbase 386 Crew

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:48 am

<Starbase 386, Rosie’s, Day 4, 2236>

Amaya sat down in that somewhat comfy chair and sighed. Lt. Kenah had dismissed her due to the lateness of the hour. She said that she would need her in the morning if things didn’t pan out…whatever that meant. But everyone else was awake and on the edge of their seats, so why shouldn’t she be? Besides who could sleep with the possibility of waking up to an explosion and an all out war. Admittedly though, she was tired.

As she sat, elbow on the table and sipping her Jasmine Green tea, Amaya was joined by a young Petty Officer. “Mind if I sit?”

Amaya looked up and smiled. “No, not all. I’m Amaya Mori.”

The young lady took a seat and tossed some of her long, red hair over her shoulder. “Tracy Radcliffe (NPC). Nice to meet you Amaya. I’ve seen you hanging around the new Chief Diplomatic Officer. Do you work for her?”

“Yes. That’s Lt. JG Kaylin Kenah. I am her aide.” She took another sip of her tea.

“Usually not a position to find a Crewman in,” replied Tracy. You must be in line for a promotion.”

“Yes, I am. It’s just a matter of time, though. The summit and this sudden thing with the Elysians has everybody on pins and needles right now. Besides, I think I’m supposed to be in the position for a while anyway. So what do you do, Tracy?”

“I work in the archaeology division in the Science Department. It’s pretty cool, actually. But enough about work. What are doing up so late?”

Amaya smiled at that. “Funny you ask, ‘work’ is what has kept me up. That and the fleet of warships knocking at our front door.”

“Yeah, that is unnerving,” said Tracy. “You don’t happen to know anything about what’s happening, do you? Being the Chief Diplomat’s right hand.”

Amaya had been expecting this kind of thing since they had arrived. She had been practicing what she would say, but couldn’t call any of it to mind at the moment. “Sorry, I don’t. And even if I did…”

Tracy cut her off. “You can’t tell. I thought so, but it never hurts to try.”

Amaya smiled, “Glad you understand.”

“What are you having?” asked Tracy as she saw Amaya take another sip.

“Jasmine Green Tea, my own blend.”

“Wow, you grow your own herbs?”

Amaya laughed. “I’d kill a fake plant! They’re actually from Lt. Kenah’s little ‘gardens.’ She’s the one with the green thumb.”

“And you’re the one with the Green Tea!”

Amaya and Tracy laughed. Neither were sure whether the joke was actually funny or if it was the late hour.

OFF:

Post brought to you by
Crewman Amaya Mori
Diplomat’s Aide
Played by:

Lt. JG Kaylin Kenah
Chief Diplomatic Advisor
Starbase 386
Horizon Fleet
This is a post by a member of Starbase 386's Crew
http://starbase386.antoniemey.com/

Starbase 386 Crew

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:00 am

<<USS Peacekeeper, Main Engineering, Day 4, 2300>>

As she had about fifty times before, Mikaela (PNPC) finished yet another walk around Engineering. Probably she was doing so far too often, but after checking power levels, warp and impulse systems, and various other systems over and over, she needed the additional activity. Part of her almost....almost wondered if it wouldn't be better to "accidentally" break something so she coulf fix it. Somehow she doubted Arthur would appreciate it. Though if it was something small...

The other engineers seemed rather restless too. Mikaela had assigned each one a few basic tasks - mostly monitoring various critical levels. As the hours passed though, Mikaela had begun letting one or two engineers wander off to rest for thirty minutes or an hour. Some might have questioned that idea, but most of them had been on duty all day and the standoff didn't seem to have an end in sight. It wouldn't do to have engineers exhausted to the point that they couldn't function.

She walked over to where Amelia (NPC) was standing at a console to the left. "How are you holding up?"

"About as well as I was a half hour ago....and the half hour before," Amelia sighed. "I could've gone the rest of my life without experiencing something like this."

Mikaela nodded, "I know what you mean. I don't suppose there's any change?"

Tapping at the console, Amelia brought up yet another diagnostic scan sequence for the warp drive. The Betazoid waited, and shortly after it began, the console beeped. Her eyes quickly glanced over the results, "No change. Everything's exactly the same. Not surprising since we're just sitting here, I suppose."

"No, not really." Though part of her would have perhaps expected a slight variance, Mikaela knew that if the system was stabalized, the chances of fluctuation when absolutely nothing was happening were small. Certainly nothing drastic would show up. "Carry on...when Nisha (NPC) comes back from her rest, feel free to go ahead."

"Thank you, ma'am," Amelia replied. Though she wasn't sure resting would really help, it would at least be different from staring at the console. That in and of itself would be nice.

Mikaela moved to the middle of the room and looked around at the engineers. As she was about to turn back to head into her office, she heard Dylan's (NPC) voice.

"Ma'am! Ma'am!" The young officer turned towards her, eyes bright.

Sensing the urgency in his voice, Mikaela hurried over, "What is it?"

"Power levels have decreased by .02!" Dylan informed her quickly, clearly excited at his discovery.

Mikaela stared at him. Finally she said, "Ensign, how many scans are running?"

Dylan blinked, "Ma'am?"

"How many scans?"

Realizing she really did expect an answer, Dylan ran a query. "One hundred twenty two, ma'am."

"Okay, now, what happens when a scan is run?" Mikaela watched him as he paused to consider her question.

"Well....the officer requests the scan....the computer than processes the scan and provides the officer with results?" He looked at her questioningly.

Mikaela nodded, "And what does the computer need when it gets extra processing requests?"

Dylan looked at Mikaela, then timidly replied, "Power?"

"Exactly," Mikaela said. "So...."

"Ohhhhh, I see now, ma'am. So you're saying that a decrease of .02 isn't of concern, right?"

"Generally speaking, that would be correct. Now, if the levels continued to decrease, there might be a problem. I would, however, expect slight fluctuations. Should the power levels increase or decrease by more than one percent at one time, then it might be more important," she explained.

Dylan nodded, "Sorry to have caused alarm, ma'am. I'll keep that in mind."

Mikaela offered him a smile, "Don't worry about it Ensign...it was the most exciting thing to have happened this evening..." The sad, yet relieving, thing was that that was true. If this was as much excitement as they'd experience before the Elsyhans left, she would consider it a success.

OFF:

Lieutenant Mikaela Breland (PNPC)
Shipyard Foreman/Damage Control Officer
Starbase 386

and

Ensign Amelia Luri (NPC)
Shipyard Engineer (Warp Systems)
Starbase 386

and

Ensign Dylan Jacobs (NPC)
Engineer
Starbase 386

All played by:

Warrant Officer First Class Kilana Nira
Starbase 386
This is a post by a member of Starbase 386's Crew
http://starbase386.antoniemey.com/

N'rass
Senior Staff

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:51 pm

<Starbase 386, day 5 0500 hrs>

As the bajoran tended to do, she woke up to her routine and walked to the replicator. In a groggy tone she muttered "Raktijino, hot."

The drink materialized and she took it with a blink, walking out the door to the promenade to lean back on the upper level rail to look out the windows. Roen(PNPC) liked the peacefulness of the mostly empty corridor to wake up to. To say she was a morning person would be inaccurate, though she was moreso than most.

A sound of footsteps beside her made her pull her thoughts back together.

"What do you think of this fleet?" The human civilian asked. She could tell by his tone he was new to the military concepts, which made the blunt Warrant Officer sigh.

"The odds are less than ideal, but so were the Borg and the Dominion." She said in a low tone, sipping her beverage. "I am not concerned." In fact she was, but the civilians did not need to know that. For that matter she wouldn't allude that thought to anyone, perhaps even herself.

"You seem experienced, I take it?" He asked, turning to lean on the rail also.

"Yes, I am." She responded flatly. "I also know that concerning myself with excess worries is counter productive."

He raised an eyebrow at her tone. "Feel free to come down to the cafe if you would like some breakfast. I know a few bajoran dishes and it won't be that replimat fake food."

She nodded with a faint smile. "Perhaps I shall." With that he nodded and walked away, leaving her to her thoughts.

Roen Anara(PNPC)

By
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Orlando Crew

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:38 am

<<USS Peacekeeper, Bridge, Day 4, 2300>>

Hours had passed, yet Aniela remained at her post on the bridge. She'd taken a brief break to get something to eat a few hours ago, but that was it. Technically there were other Science officers who could have taken her place, but Arthur was still there and honestly, she didn't have anywhere better to be.

In the center of the bridge, Arthur had been sitting in the command chair for only about twenty minutes. Prior to that, he had been moving about the bridge, checking up on the personnel as they worked at their stations, going over reports, and hopefully keeping the bridge crew in good spirits. It made him feel better to be moving about and doing something that would reassure them, even if it was small comfort compared to the large Elyshan fleet they had been watching for some time.

Aniela's eyes moved slowly about the bridge for a few moments, taking in those who were there, before turning back to her console. Most seemed to no longer be as anxious - the time merely waiting having calmed some of their nerves. Part of her, therefore, wondered if it wouldn't have been better for them if the Elyshans had struck before, when they were more alert. Perhaps that's what they wanted.

Arthur turned his attention from the seemingly static display on the viewscreen to make another visual sweep of the bridge. In the past few hours, he had been in contact with Captain Lange on the station and Rear Admiral Iluvar aboard the Tethys, as well as several of the other commanders who were participating in the defense of Starbase 386. Compared to their behavior during the conference talks, the delegates' vessels were most cooperative in coordinating the defensive efforts.

As the latest scan results came in, Aniela glanced through them. Still no change. Just like all the other reports. She was mostly relieved - it meant the Elyshans hadn't powered up their subspace weapons.

"Report, Ms. Darvetti," Arthur said, aware that the science officer had been running several scans of the system defenses, the Elyshan fleet, and the surrounding space.

Aniela looked up from her console, turning towards Arthur, "No change, sir. Their subspace weapons don't seem to be powered up and there hasn't been any activity of a spatial sort."

"Small favors," Arthur said to himself in a low voice, looking at the main viewscreen for a moment. So long as the Elyshans had not activated their subspace weapons, it was a reasonable assumption that they were not preparing to attack. In addition to the threat that such weapons held for the vessels defending the station, subspace weapons posed a great threat to the environment due to their unpredictable nature. It was a wonder that the Elyshans had not considered these risks to be a sufficient deterrent, especially given the state of affairs with the factions operating in and around Elyshan space.

Noting the Commander's lack of direct response to her, Aniela wondered what he was thinking. Most likely he, and the others, were wondering how long they would be sitting here, waiting. That and perhaps wondering why someone would even create subspace weapons - that question had popped into her mind more than once in the hours they'd been waiting. Then again, history taught them that many created weapons which would be dangerous not only to the person or area they were aimed at, but also for a long time afterwards...

"What's your assessment of the situation, lieutenant," Arthur asked. Ever the educator, he saw a learning opportunity even in the midst of the standoff that they currently found themselves in.

Aniela glanced over at Arthur, then paused to consider the question. "If the Elyshans' goal was simply to destroy the station and ships, they would have come in firing from the start. They have a much larger force, overall, and could have separated into two sections - one could attack first, then when our resources were concentrating on it, the second section could arrive from another direction. Technically, they could have another Fleet of ships on the way, but I would think that the Orlando or Triconderoga would have been aware of that. So, if we put aside simple destruction as their goal, I would think it leaves two possibilities."

Arthur remained silent as he listened to the woman's assessment and considered her reasoning carefully. She appeared to have thought her response through well enough, as it seemed to be rather organized. He chose not to interject, preferring to wait for her to continue instead.

"Either they wanted to test us, to see how battle ready we are - perhaps a dry run, of sorts, or they wanted to talk. Maybe they wanted representation at the Taevon Summit....maybe they want to give us a warning...maybe something else," Aniela said.

Nodding slowly, Arthur couldn't help but admire her reasoning. She had observed the situation and formed two possible hypothesis as to the motive behind the Elyshan fleet's presence. Arthur folded his hands, resting his elbows on the arms of the center chair, and asked, "Which do you believe is their motive?"

Aniela thought about it for a few moments before responding, "I think it's likely a combination of the two. If they solely wanted to talk or be a part of the Summit, they could have done so with less ships. Bringing this many ships is probably to show their strength and to try to intimidate us. We've not heard first hand what the Elyshans said, but I'd say they're testing us while trying to appear intimidating and perhaps also trying to further their own agenda." This assessing of the situation wasn't completely up her alley, but her love of history also gave her some insight.

“A logical assessment, lieutenant,” Arthur said with some approval, “You are correct. Without having witnessed the communications between the Elyshan flagship and the station, we have know way of knowing what sort of demands they have made of us. I would agree that this operation is more than likely a test, not only of our physical defenses, but of our resolve.”

"I just hope the test will be over soon and that we'll have done enough to convince them it would be best that they simply leave," Aniela replied, after giving the Commander a brief half smile to acknowledge his - in her mind - compliment regarding her assessment. "Preferably they won't decide to make a return trip anytime soon either."

Once again, Arthur focused on the Elyshan fleet that continued to occupy the image on the main viewscreen. "I hope you are right, lieutenant," he said in a low voice, "I hope you are right."

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Commander Arthur Richardson
Executive Officer
Starbase 386

and

Lieutenant Aniela Darvetti
Chief Science Officer
USS Orlando NCC-58068
This is a post by a member of the USS Orlando's crew.
http://uss-orlando.kersare.net/trsm/index.php

N'rass
Senior Staff

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:14 pm

<Starbase 386 Station day 5, 1000 hrs>

Roen sat in the restaurant/mess hall of the station with a cup of Raktigino and a data padd, studying ship schematics and crew files for the Malinche's Shuttle bay. A firm believer in using spare time for productive purposes, she was doing just that.

"A caitian?" She thought. "That is different. I don't think I have yet served with one." She sipped her drink and scrolled down the file. "Looks like a young one. Twenty one and the head shuttle technician? Sounds iffy if you ask me. I may have to talk to the Captain about that."

She continued looking through the files for a while longer but that image stuck in her head. The hardened bajoran Militia pilot was concerned, but knew such matters were pointless to get worked up about until the captain was available.

Deciding to do something a bit more active with her time off. She walked up to the bar/desk and asked for a holo program and suite. He obliged with a smile.

"Suite 3. Take as long as you want since the ships aren't docked. Not a whole lot of demand for the time being."

"Noted." Roen nodded with a subtle grin. She walked up the stairs to the holosuite, dialed it on and walked in.

"Computer, Program Maquis Raid Alpha Rho." She stated. A rough looking fighter craft appeared around her along with a young bajoran co-pilot. Almost immediately the ship began to shake with enemy fire.

"Come on, Do somethin!" The copilot shouted as he managed other functions.

"On it." Roen replied. "Evasive manuver beta three." The ship looped around through a cloud and disappeared into a storm front to loose the cardassian fighter.

"We can't stay in here forever, Anara." He said with a tense tone.

"I know. I just needed time to think. At least this front has some electrical activit..." She was interrupted by a bright light and lurch of control. "What the Prophets?!"

"We have been hit by an electrical discharge. Main power grid is failing. Unless you have another plan, hot stuff, we are going down!"

She would have let him have it for that comment in any other setting, but this time she was trying to figure out the way out alive. She knew it was a simulation, but that did not change the mind set as the fighter began to fall.

The copilot looked out the canopy as his sensor grid went black. "The cardies are back on our tail!"

"I know." She replied in an annoyed tone. "I can't do anything about it. Attitude controls are completely dead. Better check those straps." She checked hers and he did too. They looked at each other and nodded, then each pushed the eject buttons next to their seats.

With a loud flash, the pair found themselves in open wet air falling at great speed before the chutes opened at the latest possible point to minimize visibility.

Roen landed first, quickly unstrapping from the seat and pulling her phaser and tricorder out to try to find her partner. He was apparently a bit away as she did not see him on the screen.

"Oh Prohphets! I forgot how depressing this mission was." She muttered to herself. "Berial!" She shouted. Rather than finding a response from him, she was greeted by a trio of cardassian soldiers with rifles.

"Oh good, Ms. Roen Anara. I have some good news." The leader said. "I have your partner in custody already. I suggest you come with us willingly. As much as it would bring me pleasure to have one less Maquis pilot in service, I really don't feel like killing you so mercilessly."

She rolled her eyes. "I can't say I would extend you the same courtesy, N'reck." She knew the commander by experience and held more disdain for him than most other cardassians as he was the soldier in charge of the internment camp his parents were in.

"Always the pleasant one. Take her away, but keep a close tab on her. She has escaped too many times already."

Roen Anara (NPC)

By
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A