Posts for the USS Malinche's missions

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Thundera
Senior Staff

Re: Mission 19 - Another Voyage Home

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:30 pm

<<USS Malinche>>
<Thundera's Quarters, Revised Timeline Day -1, 1915>

Isabel had been intrigued to hear that Cheetara would be back and, after her meeting with the new Chief Intelligence Officer, made her way to the Chief Science Officer's quarters. It had been awhile since the former Borg had been on the Malinche and things had certainly changed. Cheetara would no longer be the only former Borg aboard, for one thing. Most likely the Lieutenant had already reviewed the changes in crew at the very least; it was certainly something she would do considering she used to be in Security/Tactical. It would be interesting to see how she interacted with the crewmembers that had joined since she had been part of the Malinche.

As she neared the door, Isabel slowed her pace and calmly pressed the door chime. Cheetara would undoubtedly be expecting her to come, but she also wasn't going to simply barge in.

Cheetara sat in her lounge chair with her night clothes on reading over her reports as the door chimed. "Just a minute." she responded as she got up and grabbed her robe wondering who would be coming to her quarters at this hour. She figured it would have to be the Captain, but you can never be too sure.

She walked over to the door and pressed the side panel to open the doors. "I thought it was you.", she said with a smile on her face. "Come in. It's been a long time. I see you are still looking well." she told Kersare as she gestured to the sitting area.

"Good evening," Isabel replied, giving Cheetara a smile and nod as she entered the woman's quarters. Everything was seemingly in order, not that she was surprised, and Isabel sat in one of the sitting area's chairs. "You're looking well, too. I must say I was surprised to hear you were returning; I hadn't heard from you since you left.

"I know, and I'm sorry. But communications weren't allowed during the mission. It would have compromised everything. We were monitoring the Borg and a new system that they were trying to invade." she explained briefly. "But I can't really tell you more than that right now. Things have not fully concluded, but they sent me back after I did everything they needed set up and done. They were probably really in fear that I would rejoin the collective and didn't want to take the chance. But all will be revealed once it is all concluded."

Changing the subject, "What have you done to the ship? It's a mess" she asked chuckling a little.

The explanation about the mission certainly made sense. And the need for secrecy. It wasn't hugely important at the moment anyway...and as long as her crew succeeded in the upcoming mission, there was a good chance Isabel would hear about it later. With a slight grin at the corner of her lips, Isabel replied, "You should've seen her when we first got back. That was a mess...this just looks like we were on any old mission." Most of what was left was cosmetic, really, and diagnostics. Or at least it would be as long as they got the saboteur. "You've probably seen the Malinche in worse shape than this..."

Cheetara could tell she was hiding something. There must be a reason for what seemed to be secrecy. She's never been evasive like that before with me, she thought to herself. "You're right, I have. Especially when I was at tactical", she replied knowing the messes from previous missions. Cheetara shifted a bit in her chair as she reached over and grabbed a padd. "I took the liberty of going over the Science Stations. Here are some upgrades I came up with to help improve their sensors and abilities. I would hope to get these modifications done before we leave for the next mission if possible. Of course I can help with them if need be."

Isabel nodded, "I'm sure the engineering and operations staff would appreciate any help you could offer them." Taking the PADD from Cheetara, she tapped on the display and skimmed through the information. "Some of these don't seem too complicated, but others are more so. The simpler ones could likely be completed before we leave, but the others may have to be incorporated en route."

"True. There are some Borg algorithms in some of them. I'm sure a lot of the crew members may not understand them", Cheetara retorted. "So is there anything in particular you need done in the Science Department before the repairs are finished and we head out for the mission?"

Considering what she knew their mission would end up being, there were certainly a few things Isabel could think of for Cheetara to begin researching, at the least. But at this point she couldn't reveal anything and, technically, she couldn't be sure that they would end up in the 20th century. However, Isabel had heard a few rumors about what their mission was supposed to be... "I can't think of anything at the moment. StarFleet hasn't officially briefed me on our next mission - they want the ship in good shape before giving us an assignment, I suspect. There is a chance we may be going to Earth as a form of shakedown and to drop off an ambassador or diplomat of some sort, but I don't have confirmation. So, probably the best you could do for now is to work on the modifications you mentioned, make sure the science systems are working well considering the repair work...and just continue with any experiments there might be in progress."

Cheetara took a moment to answer while staring at the Captain's facial expressions. She knew there was something more to it than that. She would just have to figure out what. "Very well, I will get started on them first thing in the morning. I was thinking of going to see the new Assistant Chief Science Officer, and meeting the Chief Medical Officer as well to give her some technical information about me in case I ever get injured or need to be 'fixed'." She used the term loosely.

"That would be great. If you need anything with the modifications, just let Lieutenant JG N'rass, Lieutenant JG Davis, or I know and we'll do what we can," Isabel replied. The new Assistant Chief...she hadn't met her yet either, but it would certainly occur sooner or later. Once things were sorted out with the ship, it would be easier. "I hope the Assistant Chief works out well; I've not had the opportunity to speak with her yet. And I'm sure Doctor Setak would appreciate the additional information." She stood and said, "I'll leave you to settling in...you know how to find me." With a nod and brief smile, she turned and headed out of Cheetara's quarters.

Kersare had just left Cheetara's quarters. Well now is a good a time as any to meet my Assistant, she thought to herself.

OFF:
A JP Done by

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Lieutenant Cheetara Thundera
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38997-A

Davis
Senior Staff

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:02 pm

ON: <<Starbase 422, Guest Quarters, Day 0, 0746, Revised Timeline >>

R’daek was ready. He took one last look in the mirror… and sneered. He could not wait to get rid of this Vulcan exterior. But for the next several hours, he had to keep it. And keep up the act until the extraction. He scratched a perpetual itchy spot in the small of his back. Blasted uniforms, he thought. He went over the plan again before leaving his guest quarters. Maybe a little browse around the Starbase for a few hours would be helpful. And perhaps even some lunch. Although, nothing on this Starbase was appetizing.

[[Ship's Corridor - Deck 06, USS Malinche]]

Life aboard the Malinche had slowly been returning to normal ever since their arrival at Starbase 422. As Mike (PNPC) made his way along a rounded stretch of corridor, he could see how much better people seemed to be feeling now that repairs were nearing completion. Many of them had taken advantage of the opportunity for shoreleave aboard the station without question. Even Aaron had allowed himself to be pried away from work to spend a little time with Mike enjoying what the station had to offer.

Still, there was no way any of them were going to be forgetting their encounter with the Mirror Universe anytime soon. Mike had noticed a considerable increase in the number of walking patrol assignments in the last twenty-four hours, though he wasn't sure if it was because of their recent experiences or something else entirely. He'd tried asking Aaron about it earlier only to receive an unusually ambiguous reply. For the time being, it was something he was just going to have to deal with.

[[Intel Labs - Deck 10, USS Malinche]]

Arron was sitting at Jornic's (NPC) Station. He had gotten a page earlier that morning that she was feeling ill and would not be reporting for duty that day. Eager to set an example for the rest of his team, he had decided to fill in for her, which is why he was now sifting through Intelligence data and formulating a report for...himself. Irony aside, this was work he would miss doing, now that he was CIO. It felt good to do some of the dirty work from time to time. He suspected it would keep his mind sharp. Things were relatively quiet in the Intelligence business right now. Most of the data reports he was going through were from various field agents in this sector that had nothing to report, and only bothered with a report because it was standard protocol. The quiet nature of the galaxy troubled Arron. The Federation always had a looming threat, whether prevalent or not, it was there, growing, biding its time.

[[En route to Operations Office, USS Malinche]]

Already feeling refreshed from a good night's rest and a very filling breakfast, James casually made his way to over to Operations office. He did notice that a lot more security and essential personnel had been moving about the ship. "I guess everyone is doing their part to ensure the safety of the ship. that's always a great thing to see," James said to himself as he rounded one last turn down the corridor.

Once in his office, he began to go over his PADD to double check the protocols that he had put in place. So far, it seemed, that no one had tried to make any attempts in removing those protocols nor have they wanted to get into the main system and make any changes that were necessary to help with the repairs. Seeing that everything he had done was working, he cracked a small grin and pulled up the Operations Personnel shift report to see what repairs were made and what needed to be repaired. He also checked to see who hasn't been off the ship yet. After seeing the one person who had not taking advantage of the shoreleave, he merely tapped his badge, "Davis to Sorenski, get off the ship and take some time off. That's an order. Davis out," James snickered as he turned to leave the office and see if anyone from Engineering or Operations needed help with repairs.

James needed to stay busy before boredom set in. He also wanted to keep an eye out for anything suspicious or out of the ordinary. He knew with the extra help from security combined with his changes in the computer protocols and the steps that L'Randil N'Rass took, things should be smooth sailing from here. He still, however, was feeling uneasy about all the changes.

When she got his page, L'Randil had been personally supervising the calibration checks on the main power couplings as was routine of hers. She turned from her subordinate engineers with a flick of her tail and tapped the badge. "Go ahead?"

James heard L'Randil's voice come from his badge. The simple request caused the ensign to check his PADD and, much to his surprise, there was an alert coming from the main power couplings. He immediately knew that L'Randil and her crew were in the process of doing checks to the calibration of the couplings. He entered the authorization code into the PADD and tapped his badge, "You now have authorization to continue, Lieutenant. Just make sure you clear the authorization code before leaving that area. That way no other changes can be made."

"Roger that." L'Randil replied. Part of her didn't like the interdependence of the new procedure but she knew it was about security. That much was worth appreciating at least. The new way of doing things was going to take some getting used to. New rank and new procedures. Changes, some good some not as good.

[[Starbase 422, Promenade, Day 0, 0810 hours, Revised Timeline]]

R’daek had been on the Malinche a couple of times throughout the day. The last time, a few hours ago, had been slightly more difficult. There were more people wandering around than there had been. He had to be more careful and cunning to stay out of their way. This caused him to rethink his approach at getting on. There had to be more subtlety involved, more sneakiness.

Exiting the lift car and entering the corridor, R’daek straightened his Starfleet uniform. It was itchy, never stayed in one place, and was tight. At times, he felt closed in and restricted. He could not understand how they wore them. He walked out onto the Promenade and looked around. Officers and civilians milled around everywhere. There they go, walking about, he thought, the centers of their own worlds. No idea of quadrant politics. Content to live in ignorance. Accepting of what the Federation tells them. He shook his head. Humans.

R’daek’s eyes fell on an empty table with an empty glass sitting on it. He walked over and sat down. Wrapping his fingers around the glass, he began going over his mission again in his mind. The time he planned to go on board would be crucial. Everything for that matter would be crucial. He couldn’t get caught. Get in, get the job done, and get out with as little incident as possible. The only thing that could prove difficult was where to subdue his target. This went on for several minutes, until a waitress approached.

“Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve a Vulcan around here. But then I just started a few days ago. Can I refill your drink for you?” She held her hand towards the empty glass.

“Yes, you may,” replied R’daek. “I’m having spiced tea.” He handed the young blonde the glass.

“Okay then. I’ll be right back with your tea, sir.” The waitress trotted off, dirty glass in hand.

R’daek went back over what he had to do again and then started going through the images of the crew in his mind.

==================================

[[USS Malinche, Corridor, Day 0, 1130 hours, Revised Timeline]]

Subduing the Vulcan Crewman proved easier than getting on board this blasted ship, thought R’daek. After stowing the body, R’daek took the nearest lift car to Engineering.

[[Engineering, Corridor]]

He nodded to the various personnel, ship and Starbase, as he passed them. He hoped that no one who knew the Crewman would approach or say anything. The additional Starfleet Security personnel caused him concern. He just wanted to get in and accomplish his mission.

He entered the Main Engineering section and quickly spotted the Crewman’s station. He nonchalantly made way to it and began entering the appropriate information. The screen flashed and something went horribly wrong.

[[Operations Office]]

James' PADD started going off as he was sorting out the latest repair reports to send over to Captain Kersare and Lieutenant Commander Zeral. He raised an eyebrow at where the alert was coming from. "That's the Crewman's station," he thought to himself as he checked the PADD one more time. "Why would anyone want to..." James quickly tapped his badge, "Davis to N'Rass. Where ever you are, meet me in Engineering near the Crewman's station.... and bring security. We may have a problem."

[[Engineering]]

L'Randil looked up from where she had been working with a pair of ensigns in the upper relay center of Engineering. The trio looked at each other and quickly moved out to where they could see out of the jeffries tube to the console on the deck below opposite the warp core. "I can see a vulcan I have never met." Then she opened comm to the security detachment. "N'Rass to Security, meet me in engineering lower deck and don't let anyone leave."

Paging complete, she nodded to the pair and they made their way down to the primary deck to nonchalantly position for when backup arrived.

[[Operations]]

Davis quickly entered a lock code to prevent further access to the engineering station. Something didn't click with the young ensign when that particular station was being accessed. He had thought that area was completed and needed no further repairs. Shaking his head, he bolted out of his office and headed to L'Randil's location.

Once he got close, he regained his composure and slowed his pace to a normal walk. One thing was for certain, he needed to look and act normal to ensure that whoever was tampering with the station doesn't get scared and try to escape before security arrived.

[[Intel Labs - Deck 10, USS Malinche]]

Drexel noticed a flashing light on the console in front of him. As it wasn't his console, he wasn't sure why the light was flashing or what it meant. It seemed like some sort of silent alert had been triggered. "Computer, what is the meaning of the alert at this station?"

"The light is an indicator that security has received an alarm based on pre-programmed parameters."

Arron furrowed his brow. "An Alarm? Please specify what triggered the alarm."

"That information is classified."

"Classified? I'm the damned CIO!" Arron pleaded with the computer. "Who initiated this specific security protocol?"

"That information is classified, please provide Level 3 Security Code."

Arron sighed, rolled his eyes and rattled off his security code. "Chief Intelligence Officer Lieutenant Arron Drexel, Epsilon Alpha Zero Eight Eight Five Bravo"

"That Security Code is not currently active. Security has been notified of this attempt."

"You have got to be kidding me!" Arron said slamming his fist on the console in front of him. Arron spun around in his chair, apparently his exchange had caught the attention of some of the others in the Intel Labs. "Would someone care to inform me who the hell the Chief of Security on this ship is!" Arron said, with a strong edginess to his words.

"Uh, Lieutenant Masterson" said Ensign Derrin (NPC) who was sitting at his own work station.

"Thanks" said Arron flatly. He spun back around to face his console, and tapped his comm badge. “Drexel to Masterson, please respond.”

=^= Masterson here =^= came the security chief’s reply via the ship’s intercom system =^= What can I do for you, Lieutenant? =^=

“My department shows some sort of security alert has been set off. When I attempted to investigate the source, I discovered I have been locked out and my security codes are not active. What is going on?”

=^= I’m afraid I don’t… =^= Aaron began =^= I stand corrected. It looks like some sort of security alert was tripped in main engineering… =^=

"Security alert?" Arron said. "Who or what triggered it?"

=^= I don’t know =^= Masterson replied =^= but I intend to find out. =^=

"I will meet you there" Arron said rising from his chair, grabbing a phaser and heading for the door. "Drexel out."

[[Main Engineering, USS Malinche]]

It hadn’t taken Mike (PNPC) all that long to reach the entrance to main engineering from the time he’d first received notification from the Malinche’s chief engineer. The lieutenant had made it perfectly clear through the tone of her voice there was some sort of situation taking place and that she did not want the arrival of security to upset whatever balance currently existed. He quickly motioned for the two enlisted men who had just rounded the corner to double back and secure the service entrances. That left only himself coming in via the main door, though it was a sure bet someone had already passed word on to Aaron and that more personnel would soon be on their way.

The large double doors parted and Mike stepped over the threshold into the engineering bay. His eyes made an immediate sweep of the area for any signs of dangerous or unusual activity before finally zeroing in on the Malinche’s Caitian chief engineer as she crossed the bay toward someone working on the far side of the room. Slowly, Mike began to move in the same direction.

She turned her head and an ear at the same way as a huntress who is tracking quietly, then nodded to Mike to indicate the target. When L'Randil saw her backup appearing in positions poised to spring, she once more looked toward the ensign for prompting.

James cautiously made his way toward the engineering chief, but made himself look busy by acting like he was helping some of the engineering officers. He saw L'Randil and gave her a nod as he gazed over at the Crewman's station and saw what appeared to be a Vulcan. But, something was unsettling about the way he looked. James couldn't figure out what it was. As he started his fake work routine, he kept a careful eye on the perpetrator and waited for the round-up to begin.

Since L'randil decided he seemed like a skilled under-cover operator, she moved up with a data padd that she had on her belt. Once she got up beside the suspect, she glanced to her backups then greeted "Crewman, I need you to sign your duty roster since you were late today." She hoped the man would respond, but he ignored.

R’daek was working feverishly at the console in front. He had almost finished performing his mission. Soon he would be able to get off this ship and out of this filthy disguise.

Arron Drexel entered Engineering through the main doors. As his eyes flashed around the room he immediately realized he had made a mistake the moment a man at a console looked up at him.

The sounds of the main doors opening made R'daek look up. An officer with intelligence markings on his uniform just walked in. There could only be one reason for an intelligence officer to be in Engineering. His cover was blown. He looked around suddenly aware that a few more officers were now converging on his position. This was the end of the line. He wouldn't be able to finish his work. He still needed another 2 minutes. A desperate idea popped into his head. Perhaps he could still sabotage the Malinche after all. In one fluid motion he pulled a small phaser from his sleeve, pointed it at the Warp Core, and fired.

L'Randil jumped to stop him from firing, but only succeeded at redirecting his aim to the side of the core housing, away from the critical areas. In so doing, the saboteur pinned the light weight caitian to the floor. For a moment she froze at the thought of him shooting again, but she hoped the others of the crew would jump in.

Seeing N'Rass in danger, James leaped over the railing near where he was doing his mock work. With a full head of steam, he placed a well-aimed kick to the intruder's head, knocking him off of the engineering chief and onto the floor. The safety of his fellow crewmates burned deeply in his mind as he climbed on top of the saboteur with his phaser pointed at the head of the assailant. "Get security in here before he decides to get stupid again," James yelled as he looked toward N'Rass, giving her a look that asked if she was okay.

Turning back to the saboteur, he pressed the phaser deeper into the temple of his head. "If I wasn't a dedicated Starfleet officer, I would've blown your head clean off. Be lucky," he said as he tightened his hold.

There had been little time for Mike to do much of anything aside from reacting instinctively as the entire scene was played out in the blink of an eye. He had watched the intruder make a desperate attempt and those nearest him immediately move to intercept the man. Both Lieutenant N'Rass and Ensign Davis had acted swiftly to take down this intruder, successfully neutralizing the threat, and making it much easier for the security team to apprehend him. It was definitely a case of everyone being in the right place at the right time...except the guy from the intel department. Mike knew he was going to have to bring that up with Aaron later.

"Kepler to Masterson," Mike called once he was sure things had settled down, "We've apprehended the intruder."

=^= I'm on my way =^= Aaron's voice replied =^= Make sure Engineering is secure and keep an eye on him until I get there. =^=

Mike stopped only a few feet from where the Operations Chief had the mysterious intruder pinned against the deck plating and leveled his own phaser at the man for emphasis. "Will do," he said, "Kepler out."

L'Randil rubbed her arms where he had pinned her down, standing back against the wall to let her heart rate settle down. This was the first time she had to deal in anything resembling hand to hand combat and she was grateful for having backup. Once the shock wore off she had to keep herself from strangling him herself.

R'Daek was finally clearing his head from the blow he had taken. His plan had unraveled so fast that it had taken him a few minutes to sort through what had just happened. He knew he had missed the warp core, but his shot had hit something...As if on cue hot steam spewed out from where his shot had hit. Someone screamed as they were directly in the venting steam's path.

The man on top of him was clearly distracted by the sudden event, and R'Daek used this to his advantage. He lunged forward and headed butted the man with a phaser. He pried the phaser away and kicked the man off him. He pointed it back towards the warp core again. The distinct sound of a phaser hiss could be heard. Only R'Daek was confused as to why the shot hadn't emanated from the weapon he was holding. Even more curious was why he suddenly went numb. His legs were no longer capable of supporting his body weight. He dropped to his knees. He tried to sneer defiantly, only none of his muscles were working. His phaser dropped from his hands and clattered on the floor. Finally R'Daek's eyes rolled to the top of his sockets, and he collapsed to the floor. "Failure" was the only word he could think of as he lost consciousness.

Arron Drexel was standing 15 feet behind the man he had just shot in the back. He double checked the weapon to make sure all he had done was stun the attacker. Surely security would be questioning him, and Arron was going to need access to their data as this was surely a premeditated attack. Arron holstered his weapon and approached his crew members. "Everyone okay?" he asked, kicking the saboteur's weapon across the Engineering room floor, away from the limp body.

James groaned as he picked himself off the floor. The saboteur managed to knock the wind out of him in his attempt to escape. "I'll be alright, Lieutenant," James replied as he made his way over to Lieutenant N'Rass to see if she was okay. Seeing that she was, he made his way to the man dressed in the shade of gray that signified that he was Intelligence. "We'll introduce ourselves later when the time is convenient for both of us. But, thank you for the backup and quick thinking," James said to the Intelligence chief.

He, then, ran over to the crew member who was hit with the hot steam that poured from the ruptured venting ducts. James was no doctor or even a trained medical expert, but he knew that the burns this crewman suffered needed immediate attention. Tapping his badge, "Davis to Sickbay. We have a medical emergency in Engineering, lower deck." James was glad the ordeal was over. He just wished it was on better terms.

As the operations chief moved to investigate the injured crewman, Mike watched as two security officers secured the intruder. He knew that Aaron would be arriving at any moment to assume control of the situation. Questioning this man was definitely going to be an involved process and Mike had no doubt it would be quite stressful for all involved, but it was the most direct method of finding out what he was doing aboard the Malinche in the first place.

OFF:
NOTE from Kersare: JP days/times edited to match our plotline.

This JP was brought to you by:

R'daek (NPC)
Romulan Saboteur
played by CPO Devon Harmon and Lt. JG Arron Drexel

and

Lt. JG L'Randil N'Rass
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Ensign Mike Kepler (PNPC)
Security Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
played by Lt. JG Aaron Masterson

and

Lt. JG Arron Drexel
Chief Intelligence Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

All other NPCs played by their respected members

and
Last edited by Davis on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant JG James Walker Davis
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Davis
Senior Staff

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:13 pm

ON: <Holodeck 3, USS Malinche, Revised Timeline Day 0, 1245>

With the saboteur in StarFleet custody, James needed some well-deserved rest and relaxation. He decided that the place where he would spend his time was in a lush forest with a small, peaceful creek running through it. As he entered the proper commands, he began to think about what the saboteur could have done to the Malinche's systems if he had not changed the security protocols. Smiling from ear to ear, James entered the holodeck knowing that he helped do his part in protecting the ship.

James found the biggest tree next to the creek to sit and let the soothing sound of nature relax his mind and body. He also brought his drawing pad and coloring utensils. One thing that hardly anyone knew about James was that he was an excellent artist. He kept this little talent away from the eye of the public for no reason, he just didn't want anyone to know. As he got his pencils and pens in order, he scanned the area for the perfect idea for his next project.

Entering the holodeck quietly, Isabel looked around. Once she'd gotten things in order regarding the saboteur, the Malinche had undergone diagnostics to ensure that nothing was amiss. The diplomat that the Malinche was taking to Earth had arrived nearly ninety minutes ago and the ship had departed shortly thereafter. Having left the bridge in the hands of Aaron, she had come to find James.

The setting he had chosen was quite peaceful; she could understand why he would like it. Isabel scanned the area, squinting her eyes slightly to compensate for the sun. Spotting him, she moved quietly towards the creek ahead of her. She slowed as she neared, not wanting to startle him, and said, "Good afternoon, Ensign. I don't mean to intrude, but if you have a few minutes..."

James turned from his drawing to see his Captain standing just on the other side of the creek. "Good afternoon to you as well, Captain. I'm just here doing up another drawing to add to my personal collection. It's something I do to ease the stress of work and with the events of today, I needed to get away," James replied as he continued with his drawing. As soon as he finished the outline of the creek, he set his pad aside. "You have my full attention, ma'am," James said, giving her a warm smile. "What brings you to this lush and peaceful forest?"

Isabel waited patiently; she wasn't in a particular rush. "How long have you been using drawing to help ease your mind," she asked as she carefully picked her way across the creek. A few of the rocks were a bit slippery from the waters running over them. "And after all the...excitement...I wanted to speak with you."

Letting out a light chuckle, James got up and helped the captain across the creek. "I've been using the drawing technique since I was fifteen. It helps me during stressful times," James replied as he took his place under the oak tree where he was previously seated. "Before I started at StarFleet, I perfected my drawing skills and been doing it ever since. Like I said, it’s a very good stress reliever. Not a lot of people know I have this hidden talent. I just never tell anyone about my talents. Call it a pet peeve of sorts,” James said as he stretched his arms. “So, Captain, what’s on your mind?”

"I wanted to thank you for your hard work, Ensign. It's not easy running a department, let alone as an acting department head, and especially with the issues we've had to deal with," Isabel explained. Not wanting to loom over him, she glanced around and found a fairly smooth rock to sit on.

“It’s all part of being a StarFleet officer, ma’am,” James said. “When you sent the message regarding the extra security steps that needed to be taken, I did what I thought was necessary on my end to help in any way I can.” He remembered what he had done while aboard the Skylark and began to explain his actions, “While I was the Computer Systems Specialist aboard the Skylark, a lot of my fellow crewmates used to pull pranks on me. They would change my configurations after I had already done them. So, I familiarized myself with the command codes and changed the necessary elements.” James started to laugh a little as he continued, “No one except the commanding officer could change my configurations after that. With that knowledge embedded in my mind, I applied it just about every system on the ship. Without my authorization, no changes could be made.”

After giving his explanation, James looked up at the tops of the trees as he began to think about the events of the day once more. He shook his head and looked back at the captain. “It was the only thing I could think of, Captain. Hopefully, I didn’t overstep my authority in doing so.”

Isabel shook her head, "Not at all. Steps had to be taken and, at the end of the day, we were able to prevent the sabotage. That's what's important." In her right hand, she let her thumb slide over the smooth surface of the small box she was holding. "You've been a part of this crew for awhile, Mr. Davis, and I do hope you know that your efforts haven't gone unnoticed," Isabel told him, offering him the box. Of course, he wouldn't remember some of the things he had done in the original timeline, but still.

With a puzzled look, he accepted the box from the captain. One thing was for sure, he knew it wasn’t his birthday. Using caution, just be sure that it wasn’t a prank devised by the other officers, he slowly opened the small box. Inside the box, to his surprise, was a small black button. The button was similar to the one he wore on his collar. He looked at Captain Kersare with a shocked look on his face. “Please tell me that I’m not dreaming, Captain,” he said with a grin.

Smiling, she shook her head, "You're not dreaming. As of now, you are officially promoted to Lieutenant JG..." Isabel paused to let the idea sink in a little more and to give James time to look at his new half pip. Clearing her throat just slightly to get his attention, she said, "Also, I was wondering if you might be interested in taking over the Chief Operations Officer position...in an official capacity, rather than just acting..."

"Captain, I would be honored in taking on the role," James said as he placed his new half pip next to his full pip. He was smiling from ear to ear as let the feeling of his new promotion flow through him. "I'm speechless, Ma'am. I wasn't expecting this at all. Thank you, Captain. I promise to continue my hard work to help keep the Malinche up and running, and to do my best to help my fellow crew members." James stood from the ground, faced his captain, and gave her a small bow.

"You're quite welcome; you deserve it. And I will hold you to your promise," Isabel answered; she stood as well and nodded in return. "Congratulations Lieutenant JG Davis and keep up the good work. Do you have any questions regarding your official role or the transition?"

"I think I can manage, Captain. If I do have any questions that come to mind, I'll be sure to ask you," James replied as he gathered up his drawing equipment. "Time to start the next chapter in this already fun career. Here's to a bright future," he said with a friendly nod.

This JP was done by:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Last edited by Davis on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant JG James Walker Davis
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kai
Junior Staff

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:23 pm

ON:<<USS Malinche>>
<Personal Quarters, Day -1 RT, 2005>

Kersare had just left Cheetara's quarters. Well now is a good a time as any to meet my Assistant, she thought to herself.

=/\="Cheetara to Ensign Kai. I would like you to come meet me in my office for a little meeting" =/\=

Hearing the chirp of her commbadge and the request from her new boss had startled Ensign Kai a little. She had been concentrating on her two fish. Tapping it in reply, she said, “Ensign Kai here, I’ll be there right away, Ma’am.” She hadn’t had very much time to go over anything regarding her new department head due to the long day she had experienced. It shouldn’t be too bad, though, she thought. I did get a few naps here and there throughout the day. She still hadn’t taken her uniform off, so she pulled her hair back into the ponytail she kept for work and headed out the door.

<Chief Science Office, 2020>

Cheetara sat behind her desk waiting for Ensign Kai to arrive. She wanted to go over a few things about how she expected her department to work as well as meet her new Assistant to try and get a read on what kind of person she may be. Moments later the office door chimed.

"Enter", Cheetara said already knowing who it should be.

Brianna walked in and up to the desk where her now boss was sitting. The first thing she noticed was the Borg implant on her face. “Ensign Brianna Kai reporting as ordered, Ma’am.” She stood beside one of the chairs, hands clasped behind the small of her back, and a smile on her face.

Cheetara looked at the youthful lady standing before her. "Relax. Take a seat", she began. "First of all, I'd like to welcome you aboard the Mali and to the Science Department. Second I just wanted to go over a few things about my expectations and this department. I'm no stranger to this ship. I used to serve here before as the Chief Tactical and Security Officer. I left for a Special Ops mission and have requested return to this ship, but only Science was available." Cheetara paused looking for any facial reactions from the Ensign. "I know that you are brand new to this ship, but have plenty of experience and background in the Science Department. I think that we can make a good team as long as we stick together."

Brianna let out the slight breath she had been holding and sat down in the chair. She adjusted herself to be a little more relaxed and crossed her right knee over her left. Brianna was a little surprised to hear that Lieutenant Thundera had been the Malinche before. And in Security and Tactical no less. It must be different heading the Science Department, she thought. But it was the Lieutenant’s last statement that was the most reassuring for Brianna.

“You can count on me, Ma’am. I’ve got your back. That said, is there anything specific you want me to focus on in the department?

"Not yet. All I know is that we may be headed to Earth for our shakedown mission once all the repairs are completed. But I have come up with a list of modifications that we need to get operations and engineering in here to help with", Cheetara answered while handing a padd to Brianna. "The first thing you will need to do is get yourself familiar with these specs and the new designs, as well as these new borg algorithms.

Brianna took the padd that was offered to her. She smiled at the thought of coming all the way out to Horizon Fleet just to head back to Earth. She scanned the introduction page as she continued to listen to the Lieutenant. She didn’t see them, but hoped that some of new designs and borg algorithms would affect the sensor pallets. Better planetary and spatial scans.

“Will do, Ma’am.”

"Now, let's talk about some of my expectations in this department", Cheetara began. "First, I expect punctuality first and foremost. There is no reason you should be late for a shift. If you have a conflict with the schedules I set up, make sure you come to me before you try to switch with someone else because there is a reason for the way I set them up in a certain way."

“Understood, Ma’am.” Brianna didn’t see that being much of a problem due to her obsessive-compulsive organization and attempt at perfectionism. “Not only is there a place for everything and everything in it’s place. But there is also a place for every person and every person in their place. At least that’s how I see it.”

"Second. I expect no questions about my orders when I give them out. You are to follow them as I specify. If there is something about the order you don't like then you can speak to me about it after you do it, and everything has been done", Cheetara stated plainly. "I don't what to hear 'why this and 'why that' when you are given the order. Now if you have a question as to 'how to' that is fine."

Brianna was a little caught off guard at the ‘second.’ She thought that the Lieutenant must have had problems in the past with people following her orders. Or maybe it was the strict organizational structure left over from being in the Borg Collective. Whatever the reason, Brianna nodded and said, “Aye, Ma’am. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind. Tomorrow morning, I’ll coordinate with Operations and Engineering regarding the modifications and new designs you’ve put together. Unless you have something else for me at that time, Ma’am.”

Cheetara nodded. "That will be fine. I am going in the morning to see the CMO and Chief Counselors", she retorted. "Now is there anything I should know that's not in your file? Any questions you need to ask me? Feel free to speak freely", she added to give the Ensign a chance to speak her mind about anything.

“Well,” Brianna said, thinking, “I’ve been called finicky and perfectionist by my former crewmates. And…I tend to be…a little obsessive-compulsive when it comes to organization. Or so says my roommates from the Academy until my last assignment. Oh, and I do not like children…at all. Of course, that could be in the counseling section of my file. As far as questions for you, I’ve only got two right now. Number one, is there anything going on in the labs that I can take off your plate so you can focus on getting the ship ready? Number two, what is your position on superiors and subordinates off duty? I like to get to know the people I work with. Or for.”

Cheetara like the idea of another member of being as compulsive for organization as she was. That would be a good thing, especially when it comes to science and experiments. As for perfectionist, she thought that sounded funny coming from an imperfect being, no matter how many past lives and memories you had from a trill symbiot. "Very good. Glad to hear you are compulsively organized. It's going to be useful with me", Cheetara stated. "As for the labs, I think the science officers can handle things for the moment. I just want to get these upgrades done first. But feel free to check up on them if you wish." Cheetara paused for a moment wondering why she mentioned not liking children. It's not like Cheetara had any that she would have to deal with. "For your other question. What you do on your personal time is your business. As long as it doesn't interfere with your duties and affect me in a negative way, feel free to 'mingle' as they say. Now it's time for me to get something to eat and then rest to charge my implants. I will see you tomorrow. You are dismissed!"

“Aye, Ma’am.” Brianna stood and nodded. The night-time introduction to her boss had caught her off guard at first. But, better ‘late’ than never, she thought. Once outside the office, Bri headed back to her quarters. She had a padd full of upgrades and Borg algorithms to go over before she contacted the Chief Engineer and Chief Ops officer in the morning. And it had been a really long day.

OFF:

JP by
Lieutenant Cheetara Thundera
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38997-A

and
Ensign Brianna Kai
Assistant Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:08 am

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Corridor, Day 0 Revised Timeline, 1000 hrs>>

L'Randil walked through the lightly occupied corridor approaching Zeral's office. She suspected what the news would be but wanted to hear it first hand. Chasing the saboteur proved to be interesting enough to keep her occupied for the most part anyway.

Once she got to the office she tapped the button and waited with her hands behind her, somewhat at attention.

Having been expecting N’rass’s arrival, Nora pulled her eyes from her computer screen. It had been an interesting morning, to say the least, and now that the newly devised duty roster had been all squared away, she was looking forward to her meeting with L’Randil. Sitting up straighter in her chair, she called out, “Come in.”

The caitian walked in with her slight limp and stood at attention for the betazoid. She suspected what the news would be but she wasn't sure and didn't want to jump the gun on it. "Ma'am?"

Smiling warmly, Nora welcomed the Caitian in. “Thank you for coming, Lieutenant L’Randil. Please, have a seat,” she invited, gesturing towards one of the chairs set before her desk. She was still adjusting to the much more austere surroundings of her new office. It was certainly not as comfortable or inviting as her office in the Counseling Department had been, but she had done her best to make it her own nonetheless. “I trust that things were well enough in Engineering when you left?”

The caitian nodded. "Yes, the new measures are keeping things in line pretty well. I must say the fleet engineers larger ships better than the little ones!" She figured some humor would lighten the mood a little.

Nora chuckled, nodding her head. “I’ll trust you on that one, Lieutenant, and I’m glad that the new measures are working so far. You’ve done excellent work.” Pausing for a moment, Nora decided that it was best to plunge ahead with the matter at hand, since N’rass seemed to already have an idea of what was coming. “I’m sure that you’ve heard by now of Chief Peters’ transfer.”

The caitian nodded. "A surprise for sure. He has been good to work under." She paused. "It has led me to wonder who is the replacement." Part of her still felt a bit self conscious about it, so she waited intently for the response.

Nora nodded solemnly in agreement. His transfer had been a surprise to everyone, herself included. It seemed that Starfleet was always full of surprises, and the former counselor was still coming to terms with just how quickly the Admiralty could transfer and replace crewmembers. And speaking of the replacement… “Actually, that’s why I asked you to come,” Nora said, unable to completely hide the small smile fighting to make itself known in the corner of her mouth. “Your work aboard the Malinche has been exemplary, and it certainly hasn’t gone unnoticed. We would like to officially offer you the position of Chief Engineering Officer for the Malinche, Lieutenant N'rass.”

L'Randil repositioned forward on her seat in surprise. "Well, I thought getting out of the shuttle bay would be good for promos but...wow." She remarked. "I am...flattered."

“You’ve earned it,” Nora said encouragingly. “Of course, if you’d like to give the matter some thought before giving your official answer, you're more than welcome to."

"It really doesn't seem like something to think too long on." L'Randil smirked. "Any reasons I should say no?"

Shaking her head, Nora grinned, “Nothing comes to mind from my end of things. The promotion will of course come with larger responsibilities than before, but I’ve never seen that as a reason to shy away from anything.” L’Randil didn’t strike her as the sort of person who would step down from more challenging responsibilities, either.

This was of course the truth. The young caitian was becoming more attuned to the ability of the position as she sat there smiling. "Who, may I ask will be the Assisting Engineer?"

“A new transfer, actually,” Nora said, turning to her computer to pull up the new crewmember’s personnel file. “An Ensign Krem, I believe. I’ve yet to meet her in person, but she does come highly recommended. She should be reporting in to Engineering in the very near future.”

L'Randil nodded. "Krem, an interesting name. I will be looking forward to meeting her then, as long as she has some instincts." She crossed her arms and leaned back in her seat.

“If her personnel file is anything to go by, I think you’ll find that she does,” Nora said with a small smile. She had high hopes that Ensign Krem, along with the rest of the new transfers the ship was receiving, would be an excellent addition to the Malinche. “So,” she continued, placing her folded hands on the desk and smiling at L’Randil, “Does this mean that you’ll be accepting the promotion?”

The caitian flicked her tail subtly as she responded. "That would seem an easy enough decision. It will be different to be the ranking officer. A whole department." Her tail flicked more randomly as she thought about it. The giddy feeling was beginning to turn to a little apprehension. It did not take the betazoid's telepathy to notice the thought process.

Nora was indeed aware of the Caitian’s growing apprehension. “I have complete faith in your abilities,” she assured N’rass sincerely. “However, as I said before, if you would like to take some time to think it over, please feel free to do so. I understand that this is something of a big decision. Speaking from personal experience, I for one had to take a night to think things over when I was offered my promotion to Executive Officer.”

The caitian shook her head. "I am still in it. It's just going to take a bit to process this through." A smile began to return faintly.

“Of course,” Nora agreed. “Well, in that case, let me be the first to congratulate you on your promotion, Chief N’rass.” The Betazoid stood and extended her hand to L'Randil.

L'Randil stood to meet the gesture with a nod. She was still a little somber at the thoughts racing through her mind, but positive and smiling. "Thank you, Ma'am. I suppose I should be about my duty then."

“Certainly,” Nora smiled, coming around the desk to escort L’Randil to the door. “You’re going to be wonderful,” she assured the Caitian one last time, her tone warm and encouraging. “If you have any questions or concerns, you know where to find me.”

The caitian nodded as she smiled shyly and walked out the door, but that changed to a slightly lighter step than usual once the door closed behind her.

OFF:

This JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant JG L'Randil N'rass
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:39 pm

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Corridor, Day 0 Revised Timeline, Time 1850>>

It had been a rather long day for Nora. Sabotage attempts were accompanied by a large amount of paperwork, as it turned out, and by the time she finished up her portion of the work, she found that she was reluctant to return to her quarters right away. Life was different for her now that she was the ship’s Executive Officer. When she had been Chief Counselor, her days had usually been filled with appointment after appointment, and when she wasn’t with patients, she was often in the company of her fellow counselors. While she didn’t spend all of her time in her new office, she did find that it was very easy to let herself become totally immersed in her work, losing hours at a time in peaceful but undeniable solitude whenever she wasn’t needed elsewhere on the ship.

With all this in mind, Nora decided it was a good night to eat in the Mess Hall rather than alone in her quarters as she usually did. Waiting for the turbolift nearest her office, she gingerly stretched her neck, feeling some relief as the tension there was released with a satisfying crack. She was going to sleep very, very well tonight, she realized with a tired smile to herself.

Arron yawned in his office. It had been a hell of a day. Before deciding to turn in for the evening, he decided to grab a bite at the ships Mess Hall. He deactivated his computer, and made his way out of his office. He turned down the corridor heading to the turbolift. His stomach tightened when he realized that Nora Zeral had was standing in front of the lift waiting. "Oh God" he muttered. He was just about to turn around and duck back into his office for a few minutes, and save himself from further embarrassment at the hands of the first officer. She turned her head his direction and he knew his chance was gone.

Arron smiled at the Commander, and approached. "Calling it a night also?" Arron said trying to sound casual.

Having just noticed Arron, Nora smiled in return as he approached. She thought that he looked a little tired, but that was hardly surprising, considering the day's events. “I didn’t think I could bear to stare at my computer screen for much longer,” she said honestly, a mere moment before the doors to the turbolift swished open. Nora smiled again at Arron, and, aware of some feelings of unease emanating from him, she stepped into the lift, moving slightly to the side to allow Arron to follow her inside. “Deck 3,” she stated clearly for the computer.

"Same for me" Arron said. The turbolift hummed to life, and there was a long awkward silence. seriously? What is it about this woman that makes me unable to function! Try as he might to put their initial encounter behind him, Arron had been unable to come to terms with the fact that he had made a complete ass of himself when he met Nora at the bar. There was just something about her that had a different effect on Arron. One he hadn't really experienced before. It intrigued him, but it also frightened him. How the cocky, arrogant Arron Drexel be intimidated by one attractive woman. Was it because she was the First Officer? Was it because she so casually dismissed his advances previously? He had to know. He turned to face Zeral and flashed his trademark smile.

"Okay. This is silly. We're both going to deck 3 and its after our shifts, I'm wagering you're on your way to the mess hall. I'm also guessing you're also having thoughts about our initial...encounter, so I would like to invite you to eat with me, and perhaps we can talk some more, I'm unbelievably curious about you, and I'm putting all my chips on the table that you feel some what similarly towards me"

For one rather long moment, Nora couldn’t help but wonder how a turbolift could take so long to go such a relatively short distance. She was not usually the silent type, but the fact of the matter was that she had no idea what to say to Lieutenant Drexel outside of the usual meaningless pleasantries. She did notice in the ensuing silence how tall he stood next to her. It was not an extraordinary fact in and of itself, since Nora was used to being shorter than most people of her acquaintance, but she hadn’t noticed his height at their first meeting at the starbase. He cut a striking figure, which she supposed might account for some of that abundant confidence he'd exhibited the night before.

When Arron did speak, the Betazoid was only a little surprised by the frankness of his words. She had to admit, if only to herself, that she really was a little curious about the man. After all, their initial meeting had been unorthodox, to say the least. It had been amusing to her, but obviously quite awkward for Arron. Still, she knew that she wouldn’t mind getting to know him a little better, if only to set aside any lingering discomfort from their first meeting. And besides, hadn’t she been heading to the Mess Hall in search of some company in the first place?

As the turbolift smoothly arrived at its destination, Nora made her decision. "All right, Lieutenant,” she replied with a smile that seemed to hold some sort of a challenge in it. "I accept your invitation. Why don’t you lead the way?”

The doors to the turbolift opened and a grinning Arron Drexel stepped out first. The pair of them entered the Mess Hall, which was fairly quiet at this hour. "I don't know about you, but I could sure go for a good replicated meal. I never eat from a ships cook until I get some reviews."

“I usually only order from the cooks in the Lounge,” Nora admitted, walking alongside Arron. “It’s a purely personal preference, though. Not many cooks are well versed in some of the more exotic food that I like.”

Arron approached a food replicator, "Turkey Sandwich on Rye, mayo, mustard, lettuce, bread and butter pickles, tomato slices, and provolone cheese. Side of potato chips, and apple juice." The replicator hummed to life as his meal materialized before him. He picked up his tray and waited for Nora.

Although Nora did prefer a variety of different foods, tonight she was feeling hungry for something familiar. “Uttaberry crepes,” she informed the Replicator, “a small plate of swix, and a glass of driina, please.” Taking her tray, she nodded to Arron with a small smile, ready for him to lead on.

Arron picked out a spot in the back corner of the room. It was well away from any one else, had a great window view, and would be a perfect place for the two officers to chat without interruption. Arron set his tray down, and dropped unceremoniously into his chair.

Setting her own tray down, Nora seated herself across from Arron and realized just how hungry she was. As she arranged her plates on her tray, she glanced at Arron’s meal, absentmindedly noting his meal of choice. She couldn't quite put her finger on it, but it seemed like a fitting choice for him.

Arron saw Nora looking over his meal selection, and smiled. "A sandwich may seem like a basic meal for some people, but its a complex selection of relatively simple items that really make the sandwich a meal. To me, there is no better way to finish off a day than with a cold turkey sandwich, some chips, and a freshly squeezed glass of fruit juice." Arron took a sip of his apple juice and shrugged. "Sadly, this is as far from freshly squeezed as you could possibly get."

Nora took a sip of her own juice, the Betazoid variation of driina, and nodded. “As amazing as replicator technology is, it never quite matches the original,” she agreed. Feeling absolutely famished by this point, the former counselor took a bite of her uttaberry crepes. They were like ambrosia to her, and she couldn’t help but savor the small bite, replicated or not.

"One of my academy professors taught us that when gathering data on a subject you are surveying, you can learn a lot about someone by their food tendencies. For me it states that I am quick, clean, and layered. What about you? Would you consider that your meal choice is indicative of who Nora Zeral is?"

Glancing down at her plate, Nora burst out laughing. “Gods, I hope not. Otherwise, this meal choice probably tells you that Nora Zeral is a traditional and unimaginative Betazoid who can’t seem to branch away from what she knows.” Carefully setting down her fork, the psychologist inside of her began to rethink the question. “Actually, your professor may have been onto something. If you really knew my food tendencies, this meal could also tell you that I’m diverse, but sometimes nostalgic. Uttabery crepes were a childhood favorite of mine.”

Arron smiled at the revelation. "You know, there is an old Earth saying. 'You are what you eat'. The older I get, the more true that statement rings true." Arron took a moderate bite of his sandwich. The replicator did a much better job on the sandwich than the juice. Arron eagerly took another bite while thinking about what Nora had said about her food.

"So" Arron said after swallowing his mouthful. "There was something about the way you talked about branching away from what you knew...sounds like you’re struggling with who you are, who want to be, and who others think you should be..."

Arron wondered if he was taking this conversation to a personal level, way too soon, but the way he looked at it, he already had a unique relationship with the woman, and he was desperate to show that he wasn't as one dimensional as he may have come off in the bar, or as his past history had shown. Arron so desperately wanted to leave that life behind him. There was no telling when those skeletons would come out of the closet. It was always just a matter of when, and not if. That was one thing he had learned as a politician.

Nora was certainly no stranger to deep and existential conversation. She barely batted an eyelash at his question, continuing to enjoy her uttaberry crepes as she considered her answer. “Well, I’d argue that that’s true about many people,” she began, thinking about all the sessions she’d had in her career with men and women coming to terms with those sorts of questions. “I wouldn’t say that I’m struggling, but I am adjusting, certainly. Up until very—and I do mean very recently, I was the ship's Chief Counselor. I had thought that I’d always be a counselor or a psychologist, but then I came quite suddenly to an unexpected crossroad. Hence, now I’m the Malinche’s Executive Officer, which, I confess, is something that I never even considered in my wildest dreams.”

"A shrink?!" Arron exclaimed jokingly. "I guess we better stop talking about adjusting to life's curve balls, or I might end up on your couch, as you dissect my laundry list of childhood issues."

Nora laughed again, shaking her head. “Guilty as charged. But don’t worry—at the moment, I’m something of a former shrink. As of yet, I have no plans to dissect your childhood issues, as you say,” she smiled.

Turning her attention to her plate of swix, Nora took a quick bite of the savory fruit. “I understand that you had a very eventful day today,” she said after a pause, giving him a knowing look. “Perhaps I should have warned you that there’s never a dull moment aboard the Malinche.”

"Well, it takes a special kind of person to shoot someone on their first day on the job." Arron said flashing a cocky smile. His expression quickly softened. "In all seriousness, it takes a highly trained individual, backed by a powerful organization to infiltrate a military unit. I myself spent 6 months undercover on Cardassia, so I know what it’s like, but we need to figure out the motive behind this incursion, because there is no telling how many other operatives could be planted throughout Star Fleet."

Nodding slowly, the Betazoid let her food be for the moment. “I certainly hope that it’s not as serious as all that, but I know better than to doubt the possibility, either.”

"My team is waiting to get the all clear from Security, and then we can begin our own investigation. I hope we can pinpoint the larger threat behind all this." Arron popped a few chips into his mouth as he starred out the window into space. "There are a lot of enemies out there Commander"

Nora watched Arron as he gazed out into the stars beyond them, wondering what to make of the man before her. “I am well aware of that,” she said quietly. Her thoughts turned to her parents, as they so often did. She had made peace with their deaths long ago, but she could never forget that innocent people like the Zerals were caught up in danger and violence every day. It was part of the reason she was so committed to helping others in whatever way that she could.

“I hope that you’ll keep me informed of your findings,” Nora said, finishing the last of her crepes. “And for what it’s worth, I’m glad that you weren’t hurt today. There’s no telling what the saboteur might have accomplished if he hadn’t been stopped.”

Arron looked up from his plate and into Nora's dark eyes at that statement. "Thanks" Arron said somberly. Nora had caught him off guard with that comment. One didn't tend to think of the danger they put themselves in every day with a Star Fleet uniform on, but the dangers were real, and moments like this reminded Arron of his own mortality. What kind of legacy would he leave when he was gone? What would he be remembered for? Well the answer to that was obvious, and it was nothing he was too proud of. No matter how much he accomplished in Star Fleet, he would never feel like he had fully atoned for his transgressions. Perhaps that is why he pushed himself so hard every day. He was chasing so never to be realized dream of carving a name for himself other than Arron Drexel, scandalous politician and a home-wrecker.

Arron took a long drink from his glass of apple juice, and looked back at Zeral. "So, are you married? Any kids?" he asked casually.

Taking a sip from her own drink, Nora raised an eyebrow at him. “No and no, luckily for you. If I did have a husband, I imagine he wouldn’t have been very happy to learn that someone had tried to pick me up at bar,” she laughed.

Arron laughed perhaps uncomfortably. "Yes, indeed. Lucky for me. Though it wouldn't be the first time....."

With his meal now finished, and the conversation dangling close to the edge of what Arron was willing to talk about, he figured the time had come to say goodbye to Nora. He felt as though he was building a unique but good relationship with her, and didn't want to over play himself.

"Well, Commander, it has been a long day. I really enjoyed our chat, it's nice to make friends on a new boat. If you will excuse me, I need to rest up and prepare for an interrogation." Arron said thinking ahead.

“Of course,” Nora smiled. It had been a little enlightening to see him in an environment outside of a starbase bar, and she was glad he had suggested that they eat together. After saying goodbye to Arron, she remained at the table for a few moments more, thinking over the day’s events and her dinner with the new Chief Intelligence Officer, before she too left the Mess Hall, eager for some much needed rest after a very long day.

OFF:

Lieutenant JG Arron Drexel
Chief Intelligence Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

And
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Setak
Crewmember

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:37 pm

(OFF: This is a back-post taking place just after the staff briefing on the original timeline.)

ON

<<USS Malinche, Outside Conference Room 1, Day 2, 1430>>

Setak had lingered at the briefing table for a minute as the other senior officers had made their final statements and left, he waited until all but the Captain and First officer had gone before he excused himself as well. With his back to the bulkhead he had waited several minutes outside the wardroom for the two command officer to finish their discussion, all the while wondering if he was doing the right thing. A fellow officer had been acting strangely and while Setak was only just beginning to understand Dr. Julie Dormand he was convinced that she was in a critical emotional state. In his universe of origin such things were not spoken of let alone brought up to a senior officer but as his understanding of the alternate reality grew, so too did his sense of duty toward his shipmates.

The doors slid open and the two senior officers strode out shoulder to shoulder, the last sentiments of their conversation escaping their lips as they did. Not wanting to startle them, Setak had positioned himself so that he would be seen and after being noticed approached the pair.

"Captain," he said with a polite smile and a nod before turning to Nora. "I understand that you are likely busy with all that has transpired in the last few days Commander but if I may have a few moments of your time, I have a somewhat, urgent, staffing matter that needs addressed."

As Isabel politely excused herself, Nora quite willingly turned her attention to Setak. She was a little surprised to find him waiting there, but naturally she was also curious as to the nature of his urgent staffing matter, as he called it. “Of course, Doctor,” she agreed warmly, and then gestured with her hand toward the doors behind them. “Why don’t we return to the conference room? I’m sure the Captain won’t mind, and it will save us the short trip to my office.” With an inviting smile—no doubt a remnant from her days as Chief Counselor—Nora led the way back inside.

It had been some time since she had spoken one-on-one with Setak, perhaps as far back as their first meeting aboard the starbase. She had been meaning to visit with him again ever since, but despite her best intentions, her new position as First Officer had made that somewhat difficult. She had been immersed in preparing for the new role before the Malinche left on their next mission, and then, of course, the business of the sabotage had made an even bigger mess of things after that.

Taking a seat near the far end of the table, she couldn’t help but notice that, despite the situation, Setak appeared to be a little more at ease since their last meeting, and she was warmed by the thought. Turning her attention back to the situation at hand, Nora quietly cleared her throat before asking, “What can I help you with, Dr. Setak?”

Setak followed Nora back into the conference room but chose to remain standing, placing his hands gently on the back of the seat closest to where the Commander sat. He wasn't uncomfortable but sitting seemed inappropriate somehow, to the discussion he was about to initiate as if somehow the act of resting would make his appeal less urgent.

"Its not so much what you can do for me as for Lieutenant Dormand," Setak began slowly, choosing his words carefully. "It is my understanding that the two of you are fairly well acquainted?"

Nora’s eyes widened a bit at the mention of Julie. “That would be correct,” she agreed, nodding. “I think that it’s safe to say that Julie and I are close friends. Is…everything all right between the two of you?” For a moment, the Betazoid was worried that there was some sort of dispute between them, seeing as they were more or less sharing Sickbay between them.

"I have only known Julie for a short time but in that time I have noticed a change in her. She seems to have become withdrawn, as if she were troubled but when asked about it she has usually changed the subject or denied it outright. And her duties have begun to suffer because of it."

Setak paused briefly to let Nora digest his observations before continuing, "she is usually a very methodical person, not one prone to making mistakes but the past few days she has overlooked a number of things. Just this morning she forgot to log tricorder scan results after a routine checkup... I had to call Crewman Lewis back an hour later to re-perform the task."

As he explained the situation, Nora became more and more concerned. Setak was right—Julie was a very methodical person, and some of the behavior he was describing…well, that didn’t sound like Julie at all. A feeling of guilt began to slowly unfold in the pit of her stomach. Her thoughts had been with Julie recently, and she had had her own concerns, but her new duties and the act of sabotage had almost thoroughly derailed her personal life. What other strange signs could she have missed out on?

“Now that you’ve mentioned it,” Nora said carefully, “I have also noticed some changes in her. I haven’t seen her very much over the past two weeks, but any plans that we’ve made, she’s canceled them all or simply not shown up. It’s not like her, and I know that, but…” She sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose as if to fight off the beginning of a headache. “I suppose I’ve been too distracted to truly see that something is wrong.”

She looked again to Setak. “Do you have any suggestions, Doctor? I know that I’m supposed to be the psychologist”—she smiled humorlessly—“but I would appreciate your input all the same. You’ve spent more time with her as of late, so I think that you might have the better insight.” Nora certainly had her suspicions, but she hoped that Setak might be able to help her confirm or deny them.

"Normally I wouldn't concern myself with the personal affairs of others but I came to you because I am truly concerned about Lieutenant Dormand," Setak replied as her took note of the Commanders own condition. He wasn't all that familiar with Nora either but her body language and facial expressions were clearly signs of fatigue. "I believe what she is going through is likely extraordinary, not your typical stress or depression episodes. Whatever is bothering her is consuming her."

“Alex,” Nora said, almost to herself. “It has to be Alex. I can’t think of what else it could be, unless her mother is ill or something like that. But even then…” Breaking off and exhaling slowly, the Betazoid sat up straighter in her chair. She realized somewhat belatedly that Setak was very likely unaware of the history surrounding Julie and her husband and briefly enlightened him about the death of Julie’s husband.

Setak listened as Nora recounted a part of Dr. Dormand's past and as she did his colleagues behavior began to make more sense to him yet he was surprised that she would still be grieving so long after the fact. He had never "loved" before, there had been companions but the life of slaves was never under their own control and Setak was never kept in one place for very long. It was best to keep one's self emotionally detached from others, perhaps that was one thing he did have in common with the Vulcans of this universe, he thought. He could not relate to Julie but he understood and did not wish to see another suffer alone.

“Julie told me at the beginning of shoreleave that the starbase reminded her too much of Alex, and now I’m afraid that the memory has been affecting her more than I realized. I’m not sure if she ever grieved for his loss properly, and it could all be catching up to her now.” Nora of all people could understand that, at least. She had experienced something painfully similar after the death of her own parents several years before.

“You were right to come to me, Setak. I cannot thank you enough.” Nora’s smile was gentle, and her sincere gratitude was written plainly on her face. She could only imagine what might have happened if Setak hadn’t brought this to someone’s attention. Clearly, there was more depth and compassion to the stoic Vulcan than met the eye. Her optimistic nature had led her to suspect as much, but she was glad to see proof of it all the same. “If you say that it’s consuming her, regardless of whether it’s thoughts of Alex or something else, then something has to be done right away. She should be in Sickbay now, if memory serves me correctly.”

"She would be," Setak replied meekly, realizing that he might have made a mistake. "She was particularly quiet this morning and after she dodged my questions again I ordered her to take a day or two off to collect herself. I had expected her to protest but she didn't seem to mind the idea, I believe she is now in her quarters..."

Nora did not like the sound of that. She had a strange feeling of foreboding, and she was on her feet again before she knew it. Tapping her comm-badge, she stated clearly, “Zeral to Dormand.” After several dreadful moments of silence, she tried again, only to be met with no answer once again. “Computer, locate Lieutenant Dormand.”

“Lieutenant Dormand is in her quarters,” came the prompt reply. Nora nodded once, locking eyes with Setak. “Right,” she said determinedly, “I’m going to her quarters. The behavior you've been describing to me... I confess, it makes me very uneasy. She’s likely just sleeping, but I have to know that she’s all right.”

OFF

A JP brought to you by:

Lt.Cmdr Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche

and
Last edited by Setak on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant Setak
Biologist
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:54 pm

<<USS Malinche, Mess Hall, Day 0 Revised Timeline, 0705>>

Having just finished a long night on duty, Petra (NPC) made her way somewhat blearily from the Bridge on her way to the Mess Hall. Rumor had it that there were new transfers arriving today, and one of those new transfers was apparently going to be her new roommate. It was always interesting, getting a new roommate—but often a huge pain, as well. The communications officer was no stranger to the coming and going of roommates, but she always wondered how the new arrival would get along with her and her friends. When she’d left the Academy, she had been so sure that the years of roommate drama were at an end. Two years and two assignments later, she knew better.

To be fair, most of the girls she’d roomed with had been great, and Petra was by no means an unfriendly person. Still, some of the exceptions to the rule would always stand out in her mind whenever new room assignments arose. She only hoped that this particular roommate wouldn’t get too touchy about the poker nights held in their quarters. Or about Petra’s choice in music. Or about the small cross she had hung on the wall next to her bed. Or about the occasional parties and get-togethers that she sometimes liked to host. “Please, God, just let her have a sense of humor,” she muttered to herself as she stepped out of the turbolift and into the corridor, crossing herself as her mother always had growing up. Finally arriving in the Mess, Petra’s thoughts about her new roommate were momentarily set aside when she saw her friend Mara Sorenski (NPC) waiting for her at a table. Giving her a wave, Petra eagerly hurried over to join her for some much anticipated breakfast.

Brianna wasn’t strong by anyone’s definition, though she was fit. Swimming just exercised different muscle groups than bodybuilding. So, lugging two bags around the ship and looking for the Mess Hall wasn’t her idea of a morning exercise routine. Especially after a very early morning wake-up call. But when she finally did find the Mess Hall, she dropped her bags outside the entrance and leaned against the wall. After a few minutes she picked them back up and walked through the door. She found the Mess Hall to be fairly full and nary an empty table in sight. Just my luck, she thought. The way this day started out, an early morning and a full Mess Hall, I bet I’ll have to keep my art supplies and fish in my bedroom.

“Take a look at this,” Mara whispered to Petra, nodding at something behind her back. Petra cast a glance over her shoulder, then turned more fully in her chair to take a better look at the new arrival. The woman was tall and striking looking, but at the moment, she looked as though she’d had to climb a mountain or two just to get to the Mess Hall.

“She looks exhausted,” Petra said once she turned back to Mara. “I wonder who she is.”

“A new transfer, by the look of it. She’s got her bags with her and everything.” Mara commented, taking a sip of her orange juice. “We’ve sure been getting a lot of new crewmembers lately.”

One look around the Mess confirmed Petra’s suspicions. There were no empty tables, and no one seemed to be making any room for the new arrival. Giving Mara a gesture toward the empty chair at their table, she raised her eyebrows in silent communication. Mara didn’t look particularly pleased, but she finally shrugged, stabbing at her breakfast hash as she did so. “Fine, invite her over. I’ve got to leave soon, anyway.”

Grinning, Petra turned in her seat again and waved to the woman by the door. When she finally caught her attention, she pointed to the open chair, her smile friendly and welcoming.

Brianna was relieved that someone had motioned for her to come sit with them. As she stepped up to the table, she said, “Thanks for the offer; it’s been a long morning. And I could use some conversation and coffee.” Bri put her two heavy bags next to the empty chair and pulled it out to sit down. “I’m Brianna Kai,” she said to the women.

“Petra Volakis,” Petra said by way of introduction, offering her hand to Brianna. “And this is my friend Mara Sorenski.” Mara flashed her a quick smile but continued to devote most of her attention to finishing her breakfast. “You look like you’ve got your entire life packed into those bags,” Petra said with a friendly smirk. “Are you just arriving on the Malinche, or just leaving?” She suspected the former, but wasn’t about to write off the possibility of the latter, considering the size of the ship. There were still plenty of crewmembers Petra had yet to meet.

Brianna took Petra’s hand and shook it. “Nice to meet you...both,” she said, as he looked over at Mara. “And, yeah, I practically do have my entire life in there.” Then she smirked. “And I’m glad that I only have to pack for one life and not the three others that I get to access. I’d need a Defiant class just to carry all of our belongings.” Laughing, Bri continued, “I’m just arriving on the Malinche. How about you? Been her long?”

Chuckling, Petra shrugged. “It depends on what you mean by long, really. I’ve been here for about a year now. Some days, it feels a lot longer than that,” she added with wry smile. “Listen, I just finished the night shift, so I’m in desperate need of a refill for my coffee. Do you want me to grab you a cup while I’m at the replicator?”

Bri smiled. “Sure. Thanks, Petra. I’ll take it with cream and extra sugar.” Bri then turned her attention to Mara in an attempt to warm what had seemed to be a cool introduction. Lowering her voice a little, she said, “Hey, I’m sorry if I interrupted your breakfast and conversation. Other than leaving and trying to find someone that knows my room assignment, what can I do to make this better for you?”

Mara looked immediately apologetic, and hastily swallowed her bite of food to speak. “No, it’s not you, I promise,” she assured Brianna with a small sigh. “I’m…not really a morning person, and I have to get to work soon, so I’m a little distracted. It’s not much of an excuse, but there it is,” she smiled sheepishly.

Brianna smiled and nodded. “Ah, I see. No problems then. I just wanted to make sure everything was okay.” She paused. “I understand the ‘not morning person.’ My sister I roomed with growing up was not a morning person. After a while, I started getting pillows thrown at me.” She smiled kindly.

Petra returned at that moment with two steaming mugs in her hand, one of which she set before Brianna. “There you are, extra cream and sugar.” After settling back into her own seat, she eyed her own cup of coffee with anticipation. “And straight black for me, just the way mother used to make it.” Without further ado, she took a healthy sip, inwardly praising God and anyone else who would listen for replicators that produced coffee at the perfect temperature.

“Thanks,” said Brianna, as she picked up the warm mug. She wrapped her hands around it for a few seconds before she took a drink. Then she said to Petra, “It’s kind of early to bother the Executive Officer or the Chief Science officer for introductions. Do you know if there is any other way for me find out what my room assignment is? I really don’t want to lug these things around all day. And I have a very small container on the Starbase that is still waiting on me.” It was getting close to feeding time for her fish, an Ornate Ctenopoma she called Draco.

As if the coffee was finally kicking in, the pieces clicked into place for Petra. Her eyes widening almost comically, she set her coffee aside and angled in her chair to face Brianna. “You know something, you may not have to look very far to find out,” she said with a disbelieving chuckle. “It just so happens that I’m expecting a new roommate today, and unless there are more single female transfers coming aboard this morning, I’d be willing to bet that you’re the one.” With this new possibility in mind, Petra subtly looked the Brianna over one more time. She looked like a nice girl, and if first impressions were anything to go by, she seemed like one, too. Maybe she was destined to get a good new roommate, after all.

Brianna nearly choked on her sip of coffee. After a slight coughing fit, she said, “Seriously? What are the odds that I’d run into my roommate as she was getting off work?” She paused a second to think about it. “Well I’m game if you are. Let’s go ahead with it…uh…after the coffee that is.” She tossed her hair back over her shoulder and took another sip. “Oh, and you can call me Bri. All my friends do.”

Petra nodded, warming up to the Trill even more. “All right, Bri it is,” she agreed, reclaiming her own coffee cup and marveling at just how small the universe really was sometimes. “Drink up, and then I’ll give you the grand tour of your fabulous new accommodations,” she smiled, and secretly hoped that this friendly start between them boded well for their future living arrangement.

OFF:

A JP by:

Ensign Brianna Kai
Assistant Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Warrant Officer 3rd Class Mara Sorenski (NPC)
Quartermaster

and

Ensign Petra Volakis (NPC)
Communications Officer

Played by:
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:39 pm

OFF: This is a backpost

ON:

<<USS Malinche, Corridor, Revised Timeline Day -1, 2030>>

Having caught up with Cheetara and speaking with Nora about the saboteur, Isabel set out to find her new Chief Flight Control Officer. Apparently the timeline change had had quite an effect. In the original timeline, these crew additions hadn't taken place - new Chief Intel, new Chief Flight Control, returning Chief Science, new Assistant Chief Science, and new Assistant Chief Engineering officers. However, she wasn't going to argue... Though part of her wanted to do more regarding the saboteur, she knew she had to keep appearances as well - including meeting with her newest crew members.

So, here she was, heading down the corridor in search of a Lieutenant Stacy Rabb. Apparently the new Chief Flight Control Officer had already met with her department. She certainly seemed ambitious, which was likely a good sign.

Having met with her Shuttle Bay Chief, Stacy thought this might be a good duty station after all. Her staff certainly seemed on the ball, though she would have to have a long talk with her Assistant Chief. His lack of appearance made her upset. She knew he was on the ship already; his commbadge registered him as being in one of the holodecks. Stacy walked out of her office, Lieutenant Flanders (PNPC) on her mind, looking downwards. She stopped short of running into another officer; looking up she noticed four pips on the collar.

Isabel noticed the woman in command red just before she stopped and paused as well. "Good evening, Lieutenant," she said with a slight smile playing on her lips. "A bit distracted, perhaps?" Considering what office the woman had come out of and the fact that Isabel hadn't met her before, she guessed that it must be Stacy Rabb, the new Chief Flight Control Officer. Before jumping right into true formalities, though, she wanted to give the woman a chance to gather herself.

Stacy stopped short, almost running into the Captain. 'Great first impression, trample the skipper', she thought to herself. Stacy took a step back, smiled and shook her head a little. She straightened up and greeted her new skipper. "Lieutenant Stacy Rabb, ma'am. My apologies Captain. I was on my way to look for...ah...er....well, my missing Assistant Chief."

Nodding, Isabel replied, "I'm glad to meet you, Lieutenant, and welcome to the Malinche." She gave the blonde woman a welcoming smile, but then got back to business. Of the reasons she might have expected for Stacy to be rushing out of her office, Isabel hadn't thought of the one provided. She frowned, "So your Assistant Chief didn't attend the meeting you held? Is he not on board?"

"According to the ship's computer, he is indeed on board. However, for some reason not yet known, he missed the staff meeting I held."

"That is certainly troubling," Isabel said, frowning. "I suppose for now it might be good to give him the benefit of the doubt, though if the rest of your department showed up, I'm not sure what could have prevented him from attending." She hadn't met the Assistant Chief Flight Control Officer yet either, though she seemed to recall him coming aboard before Stacy. "Do you have a few minutes, Lieutenant, or would it be best for me to catch up with you later, once you've had a chance to find your Assistant Chief?"

"No, he can wait. I'm sure he'd appreciate his ass chewing being put off a little longer. Would you like to come in my office?" Stacy smiled as she gestured towards her office.

Isabel smiled as well and nodded as she stepped forward into Stacy's office. Upon arriving at a chair, she paused and waited for Stacy to get behind her desk before sitting. "I don't want to take up too much of your time, especially considering the circumstances, but I do like to check in with new crew - particularly my senior staff. StarFleet decided to grace me with your transfer orders earlier than I usually get them, but I didn't realize you were on board already until a little while ago. I hope your journey here was alright..."

Stacy took her seat behind the desk, waiting for the Captain to sit down before she did. "The trip out here was, shall we say, standard for Starfleet?" Stacy chuckled a bit. "But I was anxious to get out here. I've never served on a Prometheus class before. In fact, my entire career has surprisingly been served aboard Excelsior class ships. Got so that I could walk from stem to stern with my eyes closed. I needed to get out of 'em and get into something different."

That information helped explain the transfer to her ship... "That is somewhat rare," Isabel admitted with a slight grin. "So this is your first assignment aboard a Prometheus...have you done any simulations of MVAM, by any chance? That's the main difference between a Prometheus and the other ship classes. The Flight control officers that have been aboard have been exposed, of course, most notably Ms. Doram (NPC) and Mr. Sychorski (NPC). I'm not sure if other new arrivals have experience with it."

"No, that's one of the first things on my list for the holodeck. Figured I would visit with staff and hit the gym before I start working on the MVAM. I have heard it's really something. Tech manuals are nothing compared to running simulations and of course, the real thing."

Isabel nodded, "Unfortunately not, but I'm sure you'll be up to speed on it in no time. We don't use it on every mission, but there are times when it gives us an advantage or is needed for other reasons." Compared to some Prometheus commanding officers Isabel probably did use it fairly often, but she preferred to look at it as a tool at her disposal rather than extra hardware just taking up space. "I know you've not been aboard long, but since you've already met most of your staff and have found your office, is there anything you can think of that you need?"

"Not that I can think of right now skipper. I'm just still settling into my quarters and getting to know my people. I would like to know how you schedule shuttle flight time. I want to make sure I am getting my flight hours to keep up."

"Understood," Isabel noted; Stacy hadn't really had time to see what she might need. Or, she might have everything she needed even after she settled in. Regardless, isabel still liked to make the offer. "As far as shuttle flight time, you should be able to speak with the Shuttlebay manager, Chief Roen, about that."

"Well, that's not what I was talking about Captain. What I meant was I hoped in between missions or some down time I could get in flight time. I don't like to interfere with anything the skipper has planned and you know how Starfleet sends us on stuff at the last minute."

"Ah, yes. As far as I'm concerned, Lieutenant, I don't see an issue with that, so long as there is some form of coverage for your department when needed. Obviously if StarFleet did give us a mission, your flight time might be cut a bit short, but hopefully that won't happen overly often," Isabel explained.

Stacy smiled. "Sounds good Captain. You know, now that I think of it, I am curious about the ship goings on. I mean, I'm the new kid here and I don't want to step on anyone's' toes around here. The ship I just came from had a weekly pool going on who was dating who. I tried to stay out of it officially, unless it got in the way of work."

"As far as I'm aware, there's no weekly pool on the Malinche. Some crewmembers are in relationships, which isn't particularly surprising, but thus far I haven't noticed it interfering in anyone's duties. Nearly everyone has some demon or another to work through, but that's why we have a counseling department. Actually, our Executive Officer was the Chief Counselor until her promotion," Isabel told Stacy, folding her hands on her lap. Though she wasn't particularly one for gossip, she did want to address the basics, since the woman had asked. "We often go on difficult missions and it's not always easy for crew to deal with those types of things. Right now we have two former Borg on board, as well as a Vulcan from the Mirror Universe." Hopefully the information Isabel had provided was more or less what Stacy had been looking for.

"Wow....that's interesting. A Vulcan from another universe. I bet that has a whole set of different issues. Borg, hmm...that will take some getting used to. Interesting to see the exec was the former counselor. Perhaps I can fulfill two interviews into one." Stacy smirked. "And I am sure the Chief Doc will be hounding me down to get one of those stupid physicals."

Isabel nodded, "We're a...unique ship. I'm sure you'll find out even more as you get to know the crew better and with us longer." Chuckling, she shrugged slightly, "Technically we have another person in counseling now - Ms. Dallas - though I'm sure Lieutenant Commander Zeral would be happy to meet you. As far as physicals, I imagine there's quite a line that Doctor Setak will have to get through, but when you're ready he'd likely appreciate you stopping down."

"Well, I guess I'll get around to it. There are more important things to do than sitting on a bio bed and getting poked and prodded. Thank you Captain. I guess I better let you get back to your duties. Thanks for running into me." Stacy smiled.

"I'm glad we had the chance to meet," Isabel replied sincerely as she stood. "Good luck finding your Assistant Chief. If you need anything, please let Lieutenant Commander Zeral or I know and we'll do what we can. Good night, Lieutenant." She shook Stacy's hand and smiled at her new Chief Flight Control officer before turning to leave.

OFF:

JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant Stacy Rabb
Chief Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:35 pm

ON:

<<USS Malinche, Ready Room, Day 0 RT, 1430>>

Isabel was sitting with Nora at the seating area in her Ready Room, a stack of PADDs between them. They had compiled the reports from the various departments and submitted them to StarFleet within the last hour or so. It wasn't quite as detailed as Isabel would have liked, but she wanted the information submitted quickly. Now they had to see what the Admiralty had to say about the saboteur situation...and their next mission - or so Isabel hoped.

Although Nora had been warned that the life of an Executive Officer was not all about leading away missions and escorting dignitaries, she hadn’t quite realized just how much sheer paperwork went into the command of a ship as well. Feeling tired after an already very long day, she was nevertheless more than a little eager to hear from Starfleet about the troubling event that had occurred in Engineering. “How long does it usually take to hear back from the Admiralty in situations like these?” she asked Isabel curiously.

“That depends on how busy the Admirals already are, how far up the chain it has to go, and probably other factors that I can’t begin to guess,” Isabel replied, sighing slightly. “Still, I wouldn’t think it would take too much longer. Having a saboteur on board one’s ship isn’t exactly an everyday occurrence, so they likely needed to discuss it, yet want to deal with it quickly.”

Tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, Nora nodded in understanding. “I should certainly hope it’s not an everyday occurrence,” she said with a grim half-smile. “Gods only know what could have happened if the saboteur hadn’t have been stopped.” It was a disturbing thought, to say the least, and one that Nora couldn’t help but turn over and over in her head.

Isabel nodded and was about to respond when she heard a beep from her terminal. Raising an eyebrow, she stood and motioned for Nora to follow her. She took her seat and saw the StarFleet emblem, with the words “Incoming Transmission” below it. Tapping at the screen, Isabel waited until the image of an Admiral appeared before saying, “Admiral.”

"Captain," Admiral Navarro responded with a formal tone, his face creased with worry lines and his steel grey eyes conveying a deep concern. "It’s always a pleasure, Isabel although on this particular occasion the extenuating circumstances are quite troubling. I wish that I had some positive news for you but I am afraid that I do not, as if the events aboard the Malinche weren't enough cause for concern we have just received word from border listening stations that a rogue Romulan vessel might have gained access to Federation space. We cannot confirm that at this point but I have it on good authority to be the case. As such, we would like your prisoner to be transferred into the custody of Starfleet Security here at home for further questioning."

Standing behind Isabel and slightly to the side, Nora observed the conversation but remained silent. She had never met Admiral Navarro before, but it was hardly the time for friendly introductions, considering the severity of the situation.

Apparently it hadn’t been a particularly good day for StarFleet in general, though they had certainly had worse. “That is rather troubling, Admiral,” Isabel replied with a frown. “I take it there hasn’t been confirmation of the Romulan vessel? It seems quite odd, considering the Romulans’ current situation…”

"That is correct," the Admiral responded. "Our sensor net along the border with the Empire registered that access codes were used to bypass the alarm system intended to warn us when an unknown vessel is approaching. The particular codes in question were valid but had not yet been activated for use. Because sensors detected no vessel we have concluded that the ship using the codes was cloaked, most likely Romulan in origin. However, the Empire is claiming that none of their ships has been authorized to make such a move and as you pointed out, in their current situation it makes little sense."

Nodding, Isabel folded her hands in front of herself before answering the Admiral’s request, “As far as taking the prisoner to Earth, I was actually planning to request that he remain with us for now, rather than be transferred to Starbase 422’s brig… I’m concerned that he was delaying us for a specific purpose and having him here might be beneficial as we go on our next mission. I would prefer he remain with us until that is complete, if at all possible. Do you have our next orders, sir?”

"We are inclined to agree," The admiral said slowly. "It seems like a stretch that after months of no activity we would suddenly have two incidents involving Romulans occur so close together. We feel that the timing might suggest that the two occurrences be linked, what we don't understand is why the Malinche?"

Nora frowned to herself at the Admiral’s suggestion, puzzling it out as best she could in her mind. She didn’t like the sound of a rogue Romulan vessel within Federation space, and she especially didn’t like the idea that it might have something to do with Malinche. There was something oddly ominous about it all no matter how one looked at it. Still, Nora was impressed as always by Isabel’s poise and composure as she dealt with the troubling business head-on. In a way, the captain didn’t seem terribly surprised by all the goings-on, as if she’d been expecting more trouble. It was an odd impression, and one that the Betazoid decided to keep to herself for now.

The Admiral paused for a moment before answering Isabel's question, "As for your next assignment, there is a VIP currently on Starbase 422 who requires transportation to Earth. I realize that the Malinche isn't a personnel transport but this dignitary is a highly esteemed historian and due to speak at a symposium at the academy in a few days. No other ships as fast as yours are available to make the trip. And since you will be heading this way we will have you personally transport the prisoner here as well."

Of the various missions the Malinche had had, Isabel had never simply been responsible for transporting personnel to various places. However, in theory it would be nice to have a simpler mission…though it wouldn’t be the case if the Temporal Agent was correct. “I understand, Admiral. If that’s what is needed of us, I don’t see why that would be an issue. It would also give us a chance to get any last bugs out of the system after the extensive repairs we had. Who is this dignitary, Admiral, and when might he or she be arriving on board?”

"The VIP is an El-Aurian named Nestor Livius and he should be arriving aboard within the hour," the Admiral stated plainly. "Ensure that he has proper accommodations and do be on guard; if we are truly dealing with a cloaked Romulan ship the Malinche could be at risk."

“Of course, Admiral,” Isabel answered. Considering what they had been through their last couple missions, she didn’t think there was anyone on board who wasn’t already on guard – except perhaps some of their newer crewmembers. “I’ll be sure to alert StarFleet of any unusual activity or of any other relevant evidence. Is there anything else, sir?”

The Admiral looked as if he were glancing around the room before turning his gaze back to Captain Kersare's image, "That is all Captain, good luck."

“Well,” Nora said slowly, coming around from her position behind Isabel’s desk and returning to the chair she’d been sitting in before the Admiral’s transmission came through. “It looks like we certainly have our work cut out for us.” There was much to be said on the matter, but much to do as well, particularly since their VIP was due to arrive within the hour. “I’ll see to it that the proper accommodations, as the admiral called them, are prepared for our guest,” she offered.

“Thank you, Nora,” Isabel replied gratefully. “I’m sure Britney could handle it if you’d prefer… We’ll need to be on our way soon after Mr. Livius arrives and there’s a lot to finalize in that time. I imagine I’ll need to greet him and show him to his quarters as well.”

“That’s an even better plan,” Nora agreed with a smile. “I’ll join you for the meet and greet, if you like. An El-Aurian historian does sound a little interesting, if nothing else.” Secretly, she was looking forward to the opportunity of escorting a VIP. At least there she felt a little more confidant in her duties as an Executive Officer.

Isabel smiled in return, “I’d be glad to have you with me. I’ll be sure that we’re both notified when he arrives and will see you then.” Even though she had known in advance that they needed to leave that day for their mission for things to work out, she couldn’t prepare for everything – especially since she hadn’t known what the original mission was supposed to be. Luckily the repair teams had finished and only Malinche crew were aboard.

OFF:

Admiral Emmanuel Navarro (NPC)
Starfleet Command
Played by: Prov. Lt. Setak

and

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Krem
Junior Staff

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:59 am

<USS Malinche, unnamed corridor, Day 0 revised 1608hrs>

Ensign Krem ratcheted her way up the Jefferies tube, toolkit tapping her hip as it bounced on its shoulder strap. She grunted at the strain on her arms. “Why… do so many species… have such blasted… long limbs?” she muttered to herself with each heave up the widely spaced rungs. The Ferengi paused for breath, having been climbing longer than she was used to. Looking up the tube, it faded into a distant blur, beyond her limited vision. She looked down at what seemed like an equally distant drop below and bit her lip in thought. “Wonder if they’d let me… if I can get away with it.”

With a snort of decision, she tapped her comm badge. “Computer?” It blipped in answer. “Disengage gravity controls in Jefferies tube 27, authorization Krem one-zero-six beta enable.”

The toolkit slung over her shoulder began to hover at her elbow. Krem breathed a sigh of relief, rolling her arm back with renewed ease. “That’s better. Never saw why they need Earth gravity in every inch of the ship.” Unhooking her heels from the rungs, she let herself float out arm’s length from the ladder and began gently lifting herself up the tube, a light hand patting every third rung to keep her momentum. With her breath returned, she found the energy to enjoy her favorite part about Jefferies tubes: the acoustics.

kaa vek ko-lee-ko
eH to-che Mah-lo
Tah oh-ma Koh esh to
PoH Deh Ah reee
yaH Bosh-AH
yaH Bosh-AH
yaH Bosh tomaH!

Krem loved a good Klingon song, even if her scratchy alto voice didn’t do it justice. The echoes up and down the tube were usually shielded by heavy reinforcement. But not every opening was perfectly sealed.

Amber Thanis (PNPC) had been walking down the corridor from the lab to her quarters in a bit of a huff. The hot-tempered Irish redhead was moving at a brisk pace until she heard the singing coming from the service port. She turned around and leaned an ear toward the sound with a smirk. "Ah, somebody be enjoyin' their work."

Krem kept singing as she reached her destination, an access panel she easily popped off and let hang in the air beside her. She quickly opened and closed her toolkit, getting the instrument she needed before the rest of her tools could make a break for it. Always a sucker for the harmonies of the chorus, she belted out the lines, cracking her voice.

"YaH Bosh-Aaaa! YaH Bosh-Aaaa!"

Amber got curious and shifted the hatch open a little farther to look in. "YaH Bosh-AH," the betazoid replied in a singing tone, half expecting a Klingon to match the singing.

Instead, she was answered with a reverberating clack and a yelp of pain. Krem yanked back her hand and shook out the sting from burning it with her soldering tool. She looked down several levels and saw the redhead peering up. Stuffing her tools back in her box, Krem rotated herself head over heels and slipped down the tube to Amber.

"Know any Gav'ot toh'va?" she asked, upside-down Ferengi face smiling at Thanis.

Amber noticed the floating with intrigue. "Aye. I be knowin' a wee bit more of Shakespeare than of Klingon, but both have a place." Unable to resist the temptation, she pulled up into the tube and sat in air. "So this is what ye engineers do when we ain't lookin?"

Krem grinned, balling herself up to allow two slow, backwards rolls before righting herself. "Don't know about the others, but I've always felt gravity was overrated. We're in space. Why not take advantage of the opportunity and take some weight off your shoulders?" She stuck out a hand. "Ensign Krem, by the way."

"Amber Thanis, Archeologist." She replied in kind, then lightly muttered, "For what that be worth on this wee little boat. Otherwise I just do what comes to me to be doin."

"Wee little ship?" Krem laughed. "What were you stationed on before, a starbase?" She craned her head back and gestured up. "This ship seems plenty big for me."

"Aye, she's a fine boat, but I spent a few terms on DS-9 studyin' Bajoran sites. Before that it was a Galaxy class, so yeah, me perspective may be a little jaded," she said with a wink. "On tha positive, at least ya needn't be an adventurer to find your way home."

Krem chuckled a bit. "Maybe not, but it wouldn't hurt. My home is a freighter. I'm never quite sure where it is. Last I heard, they were approaching Cestus III. Where are you from? I've never heard your accent before."

Amber tilted her head and moved some hair back off her ear, realizing it was floating outward. "It's an Earth Irish accent. Me father is human, an Archeologist also. Tha family business ya could say. We did a lot of sites even when I was a wee lass. Ships are a bit different notion from that, but the Fleet is where the business is."

"Guess so," Krem answered. "Hope they find someplace exciting for you. Haven't seen a new planet in years, not since the deep space mission on Ajax. Even then, they don't send new engineers on first contact away missions. Might blow something up or get ourselves killed. Maybe someday I'll get on an away team." She smirked a toothy smirk. "Just have to work harder."

Amber laughed. "That's tha spirit! Of course as yar laws of commerce say, opportunity is created. I try to take that one to me heart." The redhead patted Krem on the shoulder warmly.

The Ferengi began pulling herself up the ladder again. "So, if you know any catchy tunes, I'm all ears, as every human likes to tell me. But I've got to get this circuit running within the hour, and then get to the top of this tube and check on the Alpha and Beta couplings."

"Well, I could sing ya a gaelic tune, but I best be goin' to get some dinner. Perhaps we be meetin' again sometime, Miss Krem?"

Krem reached back and shook Amber's hand with a grin. "I'd like that." Reaching back up, she yanked against a rung, sending herself flying slowly upwards. "Nice meeting you!"

JP by:

Amber Thanis, Archeologist (PNPC)
of
Lt. Jg. L'Randil N'rass
Chief Engineer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Ensign Krem
Assistant Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Setak
Crewmember

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:45 pm

ON

<USS Malinche, Sickbay-Isolation Room 1, Day 0 RT 2100>

When R’daek awoke he found himself alone in a dimly lit room with only the quiet buzz of the computing machines on the walls to greet him. He attempted to sit up but quickly found that he was immobilized, strapped to a table and hooked up to machines like some kind of laboratory animal. He sneered and jerked his head from side to side, desperately searching for a way out but there was none to be found. He had truly failed.

“Good evening,” spoke a male voice from the room’s single doorway, R’daek shifted and squirmed to get a view of the person but he remained obscured. He had been trained to resist interrogation and was fiercely loyal to his leaders. He was a Tal Shiar operative, the very best at what he did and he would not be broken.

“So this is how it ends,” R’daek spat knowingly. “You’ve come to torture me for information but I warn you, your efforts will be futile. I will say nothing.”

Setak smiled slightly and approached the side of the bio-bed so that the prisoner could see him. He played with a small object in his hands and let the silence speak for itself, the game having an obvious effect on the prisoner. Finally, he lifted the small mirror and held it over the Romulan’s face so that he could also see himself, his own Romulan reflection fully restored.

“Starfleet isn’t in the business of torturing their prisoners,” Setak offered impartially. “Besides, I believe you’ve already given the analysts here far more than they needed to identify you.”

R’daek was infuriated and his skin turned a slightly darker shade of green indicating this to Setak. The Vulcan was trying to get inside of his head, trying to trick him into revealing information.

“You’re bluffing,” R’daek growled. “I am the Falcon’s ghost, I am nobody. Even if you have revealed my true face you will never link it to a name!”

“Perhaps,” Setak mused as he glanced out the isolation room’s window to see a pair of intelligence officers escorted by security enter sickbay. “But I am fairly certain that you know of a Colonel Rasek, the man you were speaking of in your sleep. It would seem that you’ve already given us a name to work with…”

R’daek’s cranial artery was positively bulging and Setak was forced to admit to himself that he rather enjoyed still having ‘the touch’. He probably wouldn’t see the Romulan again but was quite certain that the saboteur would remember him for a long time.

“What kind of Vulcan are you?” R’daek demanded as the door hissed open and the security entourage entered to take him away.

Setak only smiled as the saboteur was unlatched and hauled out the door, though his smile faded to some extent when the Romulan’s question began to resonate. He really didn’t have an answer.

OFF
Lieutenant Setak
Biologist
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Rabb
Senior Staff

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:37 pm

ON:

<<USS Malinche, Bridge, Day 0 RT, 1500>>

Stacy was busy trying to coordinate the repair of a glitch in the astrogation plotter. She was finishing her first shift on the bridge, having still not found her Assistant Chief Flanders(npc). Stacy was underneath the conn station, kicking her left leg in the air as she moved herself closer to the bottom of the station, pulling the panel cover off the bottom. Under her breath, Stacy was cursing the missing ODN specialist that was supposed to be headed to the bridge from Engineering.

“What the hell....” Stacy cut her pinkie on the panel cover as she removed it. “Well, at least panels and conn stations are the same throughout the fleet. They all stink.”

“Lieutenant”, said Ensign Krakatow(npc), “are you sure this is going to work?” Kendall(npc) was sitting in the conn chair, not sure what to do. He'd learned about ODN networks and the intricate, delicate cables, wires and circuitry underneath the panel he was stationed at. What he wasn't sure about was how to fix them. He wasn't sure his superior officer knew what she was doing. Her face was as red as her uniform and her eyes blazed at him when he asked his question.

Stacy stopped what she was doing and moved from underneath the conn station. She put her pinkie in her mouth then took it out. Glaring at Kendall, “Ensign, how many times have you worked under a conn?”

“Well, I....”

“That was rhetorical Ensign.” She bent back down under the conn. “Do something will you...like get me a band aid or something?” Stacy scanned the ODN network and cursed again. “Damn. There's got to be some reason when I set a course for Vulcan I get a course heading for Romulus. I guess I need to check down the hole in Stellar Cartography. Something has got the star charts screwed up.”

Stacy got out from under the conn and dusted herself off, a habit as there was not any dust on the bridge. She left the panel on the deck, pushing it further underneath the conn station with her foot. She looked towards the turbolift, watching Krakatow(npc) walking back towards her with a band aid. She'd blown up at him without reason.

“Mr. Krakatow”, she pulled back a few strands of hair that had fallen into her vision, “Pheww, just put it back together. I'll be down in Stellar Cartography.” She headed towards the turbolift.

After Stacy left the bridge, Lieutenant, jg Flanders(npc) appeared out of the other turbolift. He quickly scanned the bridge then wiped his hands over his bare head. “Pfwww. She's not here.”

He walked down to talk with Krakatow(npc). “So, where's the boss?”

Krakatow(npc) was still not used to the Deltan, who didn't act like a Deltan. “She's gone down to Stellar Cartography sir.”

“Well, I guess I really need to get this over with. I'm going to meet her again. This time I won't be drunk. Wish me luck.” said Flanders(npc).

OFF:

Lieutenant,jg Austin Flanders(npc)
Asst. CFCO

Ensign Kendall Krakatow(npc)
FCO
Last edited by Rabb on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant Stacy Rabb
Chief Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Dallas
Senior Staff

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:48 pm

OOC: This is a back post to MD 2.

ON:
<<Counselor Dallas' Office, Day 2, 1700>>

Roen walked through the ship's corridor leading to the counselor's office in her typically brisk manner. This was the first time meeting Ms Dallas, however and she had her apprehension about it. The high strung shuttle bay manager did not like opening up to new people.

She sighed, then pressed the door button and waited.

"Come," called Karyn, the doors opening upon recognition of her voice command. She immediately recognized the shuttle bay manager from her review of personnel files based on her scheduled appointments that day, but the computer had failed to note whether this was to be a regular eval or a counseling session requested by Roen herself.

"Hello," Karyn offered with a warm smile as she came around the desk in her hoverchair. "I'm Karyn. Please, come in and make yourself comfortable."

"Alright." the bajoran woman said with a little uncertainty. The normally reserved warrant officer was trying to hide her tension as she looked the new counselor over. "I am Chief Roen, as you probably know. I will say up front that it is hard for me to open up about this sort of stuff."

Karyn nodded. "I'm just impressed you're willing to try. It can't be easy with a brand new therapist. Take your time. I'll completely understand if there are things you're not ready to share with me. I can assure you, I'm here for a long time to come."

Roen settled into the seat behind her, still straight backed and hands crossed in front of her. "My life is complicated, more so now than ever." The note of annoyance was apparent, not at Karyn but at her own story. "It feels like everything I knew about my family history is wrong now."

"How do you mean?" Karyn asked gently.

"Well..." Anara sighed, looking around. "For as long as I can remember I viewed my brother as a war hero. He was a pilot in the Maquis against the Cardassians. He was declared MIA around the time I was born, so all I heard was how good and honorable he was in service to the cause."

"That must have been a heavy act to follow," Dallas replied.

"I followed his lead almost out of duty. From joining the Militia Air-Corps to being a fighter pilot. There were a lot of us there in the same scenario like that. The problem is after decades of hearing how good he was, now I wonder how much I need to re-evaluate it."

"Did something in particular happen to make you question what you knew of him?"

Anara nodded and paused for a moment. "Yes." She shifted in her seat and crossed her legs the other way. "I met him recently. Well, a version of him."

"I don't follow," Dallas replied.

"I met his Mirror Universe counterpart and he was the most tangible link to the brother I had that I could have known. What is even more despicable is he is the officer that executed my real brother, just with the purpose of impersonating him. I had to aid in differentiating his identity and it was not easy."

"I imagine not," Karyn agreed. She paused, then offered, "My understanding of mirror universe personalities, however, is that while they share some similarities with what one would consider the current timeline personality, the mirror personalities tend to be exaggerated or in many cases the antithesis of what we know. Your brother's double may be the complete opposite of the person you thought you knew, but that doesn't mean your family's version is inaccurate."

"Perhaps." Anara shifted. "I would like to think so. The issue I suppose is that he allowed himself to be used in a Cardassian covert op into the Mirror, or at least that was the alleged story." The pilot sighed. "It all sounds so naive now to think of how pure I was always told. They led me to believe he would have committed suicide or sabotaged the mission rather than help them like that." The disappointment was evident in her voice and eyes.

"And I'm sure if you asked them today, they might still believe that," Karyn offered gently, "and they wouldn't necessarily be wrong. People aren't like computers. People come with their own experiences, morals, and emotions. When they take in new information, it's natural for them to try and make sense of it using what they already think they know or believe to be right. Your family saw your brother as a heroic figure, and perhaps he really was, but even heroes have their vulnerabilities. Maybe there were plenty of those to see, but your family just saw the heroic stuff."

The bajoran contained her emotion enough to respond. "Part of me wanted to believe it was him in the cell, story or not. This level of emotion is so...embarrassing."

"Why?" Karyn inquired evenly.

Roen shifted in her seat and crossed her arms. "Because it... is weakness. A combat pilot cannot be consumed by this kind of emotional situation. It... it's just unacceptable." The wall inside her mind was beginning to wear down but she was still clinging to it, almost afraid of what might be said next.

"You aren't flying right now," Karyn pointed out, "and you've reached out for an opportunity to release your emotions at a time when your duties aren't being compromised. I see that as a sign of strength, not weakness."

"But..." Anara said slowly in thought as she said it. "...in a certain way having him in the cell made me feel like I had finally... won." It was another moment before she added to the thought though a million traces of the thought were running in her mind. "For most of my life I wanted to live up to him and then for an instant I was ashamed and felt that I was on the winning side at the same time. It is not vengeance but exactly what it is I don't know."

"It sounds like you felt you had finally won your freedom," Karyn offered. "Not only could you tell yourself you had measured up to or even surpassed him, you also no longer felt bound to make life choices based on who he was. That must have been liberating in a way, but also very scary."

Anara shifted uncomfortably for a moment as she thought about it. Then she replied with a raised eyebrow. "Now that you said it that way, yes. What is scary is the question of what would stand between him and me to make the choices he did, if he in fact did. I know it wouldn't happen, but if I were a prisoner of war and given the choice to do what he did...would I? Or would I have stayed a prisoner?" The question was racing in her mind even as she said it.

"Is there a particular reason these questions are bothering you right now? Do you face a similar situation right now? It doesn't seem fair to torture yourself with questions related to experiences you haven't encountered. 'What if?' questions are worth exploring, certainly, but I can't help but wonder if worrying about the what ifs has kept you from finding the joy and hope in what is."

The thought took a moment to fully digest. Anara made a motion to reply then hesitated as she thought more. When she did reply it was with a quiet tone of exposed restraint. "You are...right." After a brief but earnest look into the counselor's eyes, she asked the poignant question, "How can I change this?"

Dallas smiled. It was indeed a poignant question. "Asking that, my friend, is a very good start."

OFF:
<<TBC>>

Warrant Officer 2nd Class Roen Anara
Shuttlebay Manager
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Karyn Dallas
Acting Chief Counselor
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Davis
Senior Staff

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:37 pm

ON: <USS Malinche, Deck 2 Corridor, Day 0 Revised Timeline, 1310>

[[En route to Executive Officer's Office]]

Four years ago, he completed his courses and graduated Starfleet Academy. During those next four years, he managed the computer systems and assisted the Operations Chief on some occasions as a reserve member aboard Starbase 386. When he was transferred to Starbase 422, he had no clue that he was going to be immediately assigned to a ship once he got there. Now, Ensign Trevor Reed (PNPC) nervously made his way toward the Executive Officer's office to introduce himself to his new Commanding Officer and her First Officer.

Even though he was content on being a reserve member, he was excited at the chance to show his computer skills aboard a Federation starship. This was also a good opportunity to ask his superiors about his good friend and soon-to-be superior, James Davis. He approached the door to the Executive Officer's office and, with one final deep breath, he pressed the door chime and awaited the command to walk in.

Despite the large stack of PADDs set between them, Nora thought that she and Isabel were finally making some progress on their reports regarding the saboteur that had been apprehended not long before. It was hard to believe that it had only been two hours since the near disaster had occurred, considering the near frenzy of activity that had followed it. Now that she and Captain Kersare had compiled all of the necessary information from all the departments involved, they were finally close to sending their report to Starfleet and hoping to hear soon from the Admiralty about how to proceed next.

When the door chimed, Nora looked at Isabel with a curious frown. Her eyes widened fractionally a moment later as she remembered that she was indeed expecting someone. “Oh, I’d nearly forgotten,” she sighed, sitting up straighter in her chair. “There was another new crewmember due to arrive this afternoon. That must be him now.”

"Another one?" Isabel asked curiously. Though perhaps by this point she really shouldn't be surprised, considering how many transfers had come aboard. "What department and position, do you know?"

“Operations, I believe,” Nora replied, quickly going around her desk to access her terminal. They really had been receiving quite a few new transfers over the last few days, and it was a little hard to keep them straight without having met them all. “Here he is. He’s our new Computer Systems Specialist.”

Isabel nodded, "Well, I suppose we should meet him then. He's probably getting more nervous each second he's out there." She chuckled slightly, wondering what the young man would think he found both the Commanding and Executive Officers in Nora's office. Then again, maybe he knew they were both there. Regardless, it was Nora's office, so Isabel didn't want to invite him in herself.

Nora chuckled briefly as well, already feeling a little bad about keeping him waiting for so long. “Come in,” she called out so that he could hear her, hastily straightening the stack of PADDs on her desk in a last second effort to make her office look a little more tidy.

The door opened and Trevor cautiously walked in. His nervousness had settled while he waited to enter and was now calmer and eager to meet with his new bosses. After fully entering, he gave an acknowledging nod to both the Captain and the First Officer. He noticed the pips on the collar of the Executive Officer, designating her as Lieutenant Commander. “Good afternoon, Captain and Lieutenant Commander. My name is Ensign Trevor Reed reporting for duty. I hope my timing isn’t too terrible,” Trevor said with a small smile.

“No, not too terrible at all,” Nora assured him. The timing wasn't exactly ideal, but as Nora well knew, life aboard a starship went on, even under circumstances such as the ones the Malinche was currently experiencing. “I’m Lieutenant-Commander Nora Zeral, and this, as you’ve already guessed, is Captain Isabel Kersare. Please make yourself comfortable, Ensign,” she invited, gesturing to the free chair beside Isabel. She hoped that he wouldn't feel too intimidated to sit beside his Commanding Officer mere moments after meeting her.

Isabel smiled at the young man as he entered the room and took a seat, "Good afternoon, Mr. Reed. Welcome aboard the Malinche; I'm sure Lieutenant JG Davis will be happy to have another crewmember in his department." She certainly hadn't read his file yet, but made a mental note to do so later. Perhaps they would find out more about him now though.

"Thanks for having me aboard," Trevor said, giving Kersare a quick smile as he took a seat next to the Captain. He felt comfortable being able to meet both top officers on the first day. What made him feel even better was that he was going to be in the same department as his good friend. "I'm just glad to get off the starbase and actually work on a ship. Not that I would have minded it, but four years on a starbase can get a little boring."

"Well, it certainly could, but a ship assignment could get boring as well...just depends on the ship," Isabel replied with a slight chuckle and a glance over at Nora. The Malinche certainly wouldn't be boring, not based on her seven and a half years in command. "I must apologize, Mr. Reed, as I didn't have a chance to read over your file. Have you served on a ship before?"

Trevor shook his head in response to Kersare’s question. “No, ma’am. Unfortunately, just Starbase 386,” he said with a slight chuckle. He could already tell that he was going to have a good time aboard the Malinche. Not because of his friend being on board, but from the personalities of Kersare and Zeral. He never had issues with superiors before and he could tell he wasn’t going to have any issues with the Malinche’s head officers. “I’ve been a reserve member. Even though I did do work aboard 386, I wasn’t on any active roster.”

“It must be very exciting to be beginning the next phase in your Starfleet career,” Nora commented. “You’ll certainly be on the active roster here. But since this is your first time serving aboard a ship before, do you have any questions? I don’t imagine that life will be too different here for you, but it will be a bit of a change for you.”

Trevor thought for a moment. He only had one question and it dealt with his friend, James. Thinking he would only know the answer if he asked, he cleared his throat and proceeded with his question, "I do have one question. I'm sure you and/or the captain would know the answer. How has James been? I'm sure the past several weeks haven't been the best for him."

Isabel was a bit surprised at the sole question the young man had and cast a glance at Nora before refocusing her attention. "James? You mean Lieutenant JG Davis? He hasn't particularly spoken to me about any events in his personal life, but the mission we were on wasn't easy. Mr. Davis has been working quite a bit and did just recently get promoted." She wasn't sure if Nora knew of more or if perhaps she did herself and just didn't realize it.

"I knew about his promotion to Lieutenant JG. He couldn't stop talking about it. I've never seen him so happy," Trevor replied with a chuckle. His chuckle, however, faded fast and a more solemn look had come across his face. "Your Operations Chief has been dealing with some issues in regards to an Ensign Talia Sanchez. She was his best friend, but more so, she was his girlfriend. She passed away a while back and he was devastated upon hearing the news. As a friend and soon-to-be subordinate, I just want to know if he's all right."

Nora nodded and offered Reed a small smile. “He’s doing better now, I think. The death of a loved one is never easy to deal with, but James is strong and facing it as best as he can. He’ll probably be very glad to see an old friend like you, now more than ever.”

Trevor let out a sigh of relief. It was good to hear that James was taking the loss bravely. “That’s music to my ears. I knew the boy had it in him. I hope with my arrival, things will be better for him,” he said as he straightened his hair and gave both Zeral and Kersare a big smile.

"I'm sure Mr. Davis would appreciate any help he could get... Having it be a friend will make it even better though, I imagine," Isabel mused, returning the young man's smile. "Have you had a chance to find your quarters, or get settled in yet? Or did you just arrive?"

“I found my quarters with some help from the friendly staff you have,” Trevor said with another smile. “I got my belongings in place and headed here. I was told you were here. I’m ready to get right to work, unless there’s something that you would like me to do first.”

“No, you’re free to get to work as soon as you’d like,” Nora smiled. “And I’m sure that you’re anxious to report in to Mr. Davis, so we won’t keep you any longer.” Rising from her chair, she prepared to escort Trevor to the door. “If you find that you have any other questions, do feel free to ask. And welcome aboard again, Ensign Reed.”

“Thank you, Lieutenant Commander Zeral and thank you, Captain Kersare,” Trevor replied as he bowed to the captain and followed Zeral to the door. “Here’s to a great start to a brand new career.” He bowed to the Executive Officer, gave both ladies a gentle smile and headed for the Operations Office to meet up with his old friend.

OFF:
This has been a joint post by:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche

and

Lieutenant Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche

and

Ensign Trevor Reed (PNPC)
Computer Systems Specialist