Mission 19 - Another Voyage Home

Posts for the USS Malinche's missions

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Mission 19 - Another Voyage Home

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:41 pm

OFF: Mission 19 Day 1 = Mission 18 Day 16 (Also, please note that Mission 19 Day 0 will occur, so keep that in mind when you're posting in Shoreleave aka Mission 18). I realize this could be confusing, so if you need more of an explanation, just ask. All will be revealed though...

ON: <<USS Malinche, Bridge, Day 1, 0930>>

Isabel, seated in her Captain’s chair, frowned slightly – feeling rather troubled - as she waited for confirmation from Starbase 422 that the Malinche could finally get underway. Normally they would have just rushed off to their next mission, but after experiencing malfunctions with their warp systems the previous day while attempting to depart, the Admiralty felt it best to play it safe. Perhaps more disturbing was the fact that repairs had seemed to have been going well the previous couple weeks; neither she nor the other Malinche engineers had been able to figure out how things had suddenly gone so wrong. Regardless, with additional repairs completed, Isabel was more than ready to head out on their mini-shakedown.

Having received clearance from the Starbase dockmaster, Isabel turned to the officer at flight control, "Ensign Sychorski (NPC), take us out." Seeing him nod, she turned to Nora who was now in a red uniform looking perhaps a bit nervous, "You have the bridge, Commander. Once we're clear of the Starbase, run through the Beta-2 standard shakedown protocol. I'll be back shortly."

Isabel stood, giving her new Executive Officer an encouraging smile, and headed for her ready room. She would have rather stayed on the bridge to see how Nora was doing with her new role, but had a couple things to take care of first. They wouldn't take long though, so she would still be there for the majority of the shakedown.

As the doors swished open, she glanced back once more before stepping inside and promptly froze in place. This was not her Ready Room... Isabel's eyes poured over the room slowly - she didn't recognize it. Nor did she recognize the woman just to her left or the device behind her. "Who are you?"

"My name is Levkova (NPC)," the woman answered plainly. "Lieutenant Levkova. It's truly a pleasure to meet you Captain Kersare, but I'm afraid there is little time for idle conversation."

Lieutenant Levkova...definitely not familiar. "What's the hurry, and where exactly are we, Lieutenant? Surely you can at least tell me that, since it seems you've somehow transported me off my ship," Isabel said, frowning. She didn't like the idea of being kidnapped and pulled away from her crew. The fact that this woman didn't seem to want to make time for 'idle conversation' wasn't helping matters either.

"You are aboard the Federation Time Ship Kerr," the Lieutenant paused briefly and studied Kersare's expressions. "But where you are is not so important as when you are and when it is that you must go. I've brought you here to brief you on a mission of the utmost importance and to set right what has gone wrong."

"The Federation Time Ship Kerr..." Isabel shook her head slightly, not entirely surprised. It did seem like something a Temporal Officer would do - kidnap a starship captain. Still unsettling though. "Alright, when are we? And where and when do you expect me to go? What has gone wrong?" There were so many questions swirling around in her mind that she didn't really know where to start.

Levkova smiled as Isabel spoke; it was common knowledge that Starfleet had been keeping intelligence on the activities of Temporal Agents since its earliest days but not all of their officers had been aware of that. Isabel Kersare was aware however and apparently fully briefed. Placing her temporal Observatory on the glass surface before her, Levkova powered it on and studied the holographic time stream that appeared midair between her and Isabel.

"This is the thirty first century Captain," Levkova stated as she slowly paced around the glass topped desk that stood between them coming to rest at the captain's side. "I would like to tell you more but as I said before, we have little time."

Standing quietly, Isabel merely nodded. She wasn't entirely sure that Levkova would really want to tell her about it, but perhaps she would've. Either way it was irrelevant.

Placing her hand held Temporal Observatory on the glass surface of the desk the Lieutenant powered it on and gestured toward the hologram that appeared midair before them. "Here," she pointed toward a flashing red icon at the end of a long blue line. "This is the Malinche of your worldline in 2387 and as you can see there is a problem. The simplest way that I can put this for you is that your vessel is not where it's supposed to be."

Isabel opened her mouth briefly, but changed her mind. Anything dealing with temporal mechanics was bound to be confusing or seemingly not make sense. Instead, she asked, "Where are we supposed to be? And, though I'm not sure it matters, when or where did we get off track?"

"The past Captain," Levkova revealed. "Your past in fact; the late twentieth century to be precise, but alas forces have conspired to ensure that you are not there. I'm sure you are aware of what recently transpired on Romulus and that there are those among the Romulan population who blame the Federation for the tragedy. There are those from my time who are using this sentiment among the Romulans in your time to foment quests for vengeance; one such Romulan Captain was given the technology for time travel and sent back to change Earth's history. In the natural order of events the Malinche under you command stumbled upon this rogue element before they could cause any damage but somehow the same forces that sent the Romulans back have also ensured that you missed your chance to intervene."

Listening closely, Isabel did her best to absorb the information Levkova was providing. "By how much did we miss the chance to intervene? Was it the second Mirror Universe ships' attack that set us off course?" Though she was also curious as to why they hadn't been affected yet, she had a feeling it was best to just decide that it was something to do with temporal mechanics and simply not ask. As she considered the information more, she added, "Late twentieth century...Admiral Kirk's return to 1986 to bring back humpback whales to prevent the destruction of Earth?"

"You know your history well Captain," the Lieutenant replied. "We do indeed suspect that the Romulan saboteurs intend to disrupt Kirk's mission to avert the destruction of the Earth by the alien probe. You were supposed to depart Starbase 422 hours ago and having done so would have intercepted the Romulans as they arrived at Earth. Something obviously prevented you from doing so. It could be that there are temporal insurgents nearby sabotaging you, in any case it is up to you to get back on track and ensure that Kirk's plan succeeds."

"So we've missed them by hours, essentially. In the end though, if our calculations are accurate enough, we should be able to get to the past before or very close to the arrival of the Romulans which should help us get back on track, correct? I'm sure there's only so much you can divulge, but what else do I need to know?" Despite her seeming calm, Isabel was actually rather nervous about the whole thing. She'd certainly never been involved in time travel and the whole thing was very touchy and intricate, in a manner of speaking.

"We will provide you with the means to travel to the past but after arriving the device will be rendered inert," Levkova offered. "Once you are back on track you should encounter the Romulan vessel at Earth as was the case originally, everything from then after will unfold as it should. It is of great importance that none of Kirk's crew are affected by your or the Romulan's presence, you must try to preserve the timeline as it is as much as possible."

Nodding, Isabel replied, "Of course. Are there additional calculations or integration that will have to be done before we leave? And can it be used to return us to the present as well?" She had a feeling that they'd all have to have a crash course in Kirk's visit to the past to take into account the whereabouts of his crew...and they'd have to move quickly to ensure the Romulans wouldn't be successful. "What should we do with the Romulan vessel and the Romulans once we capture them?"

"I'm afraid that I cannot comment on much else Captain," Levkova said as she deactivated her temporal observatory and returned it to her vest pocket. "You will find a way back to your own time and decide what's best to do with your prisoners in due course. Once you have identified your saboteur activate this and stop them in the immediate past then proceed with your mission as scheduled."

Isabel stood silently for a few moments, going over what she learned. "I thought that might be the case, but I didn't think it would hurt to ask," she said with a slight smile. "I suppose I had better get started...it would seem I have quite a bit to accomplish as soon as possible."

"One more thing Captain," Levkova said as she placed a small metallic object into Isabel's hand. "Tell no one of our encounter here, if you are questioned about your investigation of the ship's systems I'm sure you will be resourceful enough to come up with a suitable explanation."

"Of course," Isabel replied. Her eyes moved to the metallic object briefly before looking back at Levkova as her fingers closed around its cool surface. "I'll do what is necessary."

"Indeed you will," Levkova said with a knowing smile. She moved away from Isabel and resumed her place behind her desk, her hand tapping on what was presumably a control pad built into the desk's surface. "Very well Captain, I wish you luck on your journeys until our paths cross again."

Isabel was about to thank Levkova when the last part of her sentence sunk in, "Again?"

No response came, however. The last thing Isabel saw was perhaps a slight smile cross Levkova's lips before she suddenly found herself back in her own ready room. Everything was as it had been, or so it seemed. Apparently it wouldn't be the last time she saw the Lieutenant from the future, but Isabel would have to ponder that later. Slowly she opened her hand and looked at the device. It was time to do some digging.

OFF: Tag crew! Everyone will be going about their normal duties during a shakedown for the time being. Isabel will, however, be meeting with some departments to try to ascertain where things went wrong (mainly Engineering, Ops, and Security) - so I'll either contact those of you in those departments for JPs or PM you some additional info to work from.

JP brought to you by:
Lieutenant Levkova (NPC)
Temporal Agent
Federation Time Ship Kerr
played by: Prov Lt Setak

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Re: Mission 19 - Another Voyage Home

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:24 pm

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Bridge, Day 1, 0935>>

With the bridge under her command for the first time since she had been made Executive Officer, Nora forced herself to take a deep breath after Kersare had left her in charge. She had trained for this—she was ready, but she couldn’t completely shake her feeling of nervousness as she carefully took the Captain’s chair.

“Ensign Sychorski (NPC),” she stated clearly, pushing through her nerves, “take us to warp three.”

“Aye, Commander,” he returned, following her order and increasing the ship’s velocity. Nora relaxed slightly, still finding her new rank and position a little surreal. The red uniform she was now sporting was taking a little adjusting to as well. Six years in medical blue had left her rather accustomed to the color, and she had never thought to see the day when she would leave it behind.

Determined to keep a clear head, she followed the Captain’s order and initiated the shakedown protocol, subsequently pleased—and very much relieved—as things progressed smoothly from there. Despite the malfunctions the Malinche had experienced the day prior, for the time being there seemed to be no further setbacks.

Absentmindedly tapping her finger on the armrest of her chair, Nora frowned as she thought of those unexpected malfunctions. Unless her senses failed her, she knew that most of the Malinche’s crewmembers, herself included, had been anxious to get underway on their next mission. The ship’s setback, although relatively brief, had been a source of frustration for many. It had been particularly troubling to Nora, as she had personally helped oversee the progress of the repairs in her role as Acting Executive Officer. She was confident in the work done by crewmembers across the ship, and she had been so sure that the Malinche was ready to take wing once again. The malfunctions had pricked at her confidence a bit, not to mention unwittingly piqued her curiosity—with all the careful repairs and preparations the crew had undertaken, where had they gone wrong?

It was likely a question Nora would never find the answer to, she mused. She was no engineer, but it seemed that even with the best of preparations, technology could always be a bit unpredictable. Making an effort to write the incident off for the time being, the Betazoid continued to oversee the shakedown cruise, all the while secretly hoping that she wouldn’t somehow inadvertently break the ship on her first day in command of the bridge.

OFF:
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Harmon
Senior Staff

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:57 pm

<<USS Malinche, Bridge, Day 1, 0932>>

Devon was manning the Security/Tactical II station to the left of the Counselor’s chair. There didn’t seem to be too much for him to watch out for regarding the shakedown cruise. But it was good to be back in the saddle again.

Chief Harmon looked up from his display as Captain Kersare turned the Bridge over to her new Executive Officer, along with a set of orders. He watched as the Captain strode into her Ready Room and Commander Zeral sat down in the Big Chair. Devon thought that is was interesting to see a ship with a female Commanding Officer and Executive Officer. That combination must be few in Starfleet. Then again, it is a huge Fleet, he thought.

As Commander Zeral ordered Warp three, Devon turned his attention back towards the console in front of him. Noting nothing out of the ordinary, he brought up a display off to the side which showed Security protocols and directives that he wanted to review. It never hurt to keep familiar with one’s rules and regulations. He smiled at that and thought of his own list of rules. Not one member of the enlisted crew had broken one of his rules yet. Hence, no head-slaps. Which reminded him that he had to get that plaque brought up from his quarters and put on the wall in his office. And he already had the perfect place picked out…to the right of the door. Perfectly hung so that everyone could see it as they exited. The plaque had one of his favorite quotes on it, “A slap to the face is an insult; to the back of the head, it's a wake-up call.”

Devon took these few minutes of relative quiet to observe the Bridge layout. He had noticed earlier that is wasn’t the classic Prometheus set-up. For one thing, there were three chairs in the center and seemingly more stations around the outside. He for one liked the new Bridge. The classic setup left a lot to be desired in his book. This one looked more like the Starfleet ships he was used to. Then he wondered if any of the other Captains of the Prometheus classes had made a switch.

Bringing his attention back to his duties, Devon looked at the console. Nothing at all was happening that needed his immediate attention. He tapped a few commands into the console and then watched the stars streak by on the viewscreen.
Chief Petty Officer Devon Harmon
Chief of the Boat & Master-at-Arms
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

N'rass
Senior Staff

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:56 pm

<<USS Malinche, Shuttle bay, Day 1, 1030>>

L'Randil had been settling into her new tasks with little trouble from subordinates. For the most part her peers felt it was a logical step. The engineer paused and took a deep breath before triggering the door to open. The familiar smell of shuttle specific chemicals and tools filled her felinoid senses bringing a slight smile. A crew was recalibrating the sensor array of a runabout and waved when she walked in.

"Hey, Lieutenant!" one of the technicians shouted over. She walked over and held her data padd against her chest with a curious and self conscious smile.

"Yes, Ensign?" She replied with a slight joke tone as she looked at the young man and the others with him.

"How's the rank going? They workin you too hard yet?" Riggs asked. L'Randil smirked.

"Not too much new yet. Just a lot more paper work and running around for reports." She leaned in on the shuttle and then stood up. "It's been two weeks already since I've been inside a panel. Part of me misses it, but it feels good to have finally made it."

"I wouldn't miss it!" The female ensign of the trio commented. "If I got promoted off the Line I wouldn't look back for a minute."

"Yeah well, Sarah." L'Randil replied with a laugh. "You have to have some ties to the past to embrace the future. Progress is progress though."

"Look out, here comes trouble..." Sarah muttered with a glance to L'Randil's shoulder. They turned to look at Chief Roen coming over and stood at attention.

"At ease, you two. Back to it..." She motioned with a hand for them to go back to the tasks. Then she turned to L'Randil. "N'Rass, a moment in my office?" She said in her usual low tone. The caitian still got a little sense of apprehension whenever the bajoran came around, but she decided to subdue it to see where it would go. When they got in the office and the door closed, Roen walked to the corner of the room where her personal effects were on display. She sighed with the same motion that she picked up her now-disarmed disruptor to look at. "I remember when I was issued this. An officer's weapon. A different specification than the normal ones."

L'Randil raised an eyebrow but nodded in curiosity as she stood at the other side of the desk with her padd behind her.

"Part of me wishes Starfleet would have some more ceremonies such as the Militia has for promotions." Then she turned to face the engineer. "I hope you take this as seriously as I did when I got my rank."

"I do, Ms. Roen." L'Randil replied as a peer instead of a subordinate. "It means a lot to me in fact." Then she paused with a change of expression. "Why the change of tone to me, if I may?" She figured it would be worth the asking since there was certainly a change in demeanor.

Roen raised an eyebrow. "Suffice to say, I have had some life changing events lately. What had previously meant a lot does not as much and I would like to...bury the hatchet to coin the human phrase. The past happened whether we like it or not, so I would like to move on."

The caitian was speechless as she heard the statement. A truce from Roen was the last thing she expected to hear. Eventually she managed to have words. "Of course. I can appreciate that."

"Don't say this to any of them" Roen said, pointing out the window. "I am not prepared to let that routine down, so this conversation is just between us as...peers."

L'Randil smirked and nodded. "Understood." she pulled out her data padd. "Here is the listing for the pending shuttle missions. Do you have the daily report ready?"

"I do." She reached into the desk drawer to pull out another padd. "All stations reporting online, Lieutenant."

"Very good. I will be in engineering if you need me." The engineer replied as she walked to the door. As the door opened, Anara motioned for her to stop.

"One more thing." She said softly, in an uncharacteristically soft tone. "Congratulations."

L'Randil smiled and nodded with a bow. "Thanks" and departed. When she got out to the corridor she paused and leaned on the wall with a sigh and a smirk at the same time. She wasn't sure if it was all because of the conversation, but her demeanor felt suddenly lifted by the change.

OFF:

Warrant Ofiicer Roen Anara
USS Malinche
Shuttle bay Manager

NPC played by
Lieutenant JG L'Randil N'rass
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:42 pm

ON:<<USS Malinche, Engineering, Day 1, 1000>>

Following her conversation with Levkova (NPC), which she couldn't tell anyone about, Isabel was even more determined to get to the bottom of the previous day's issues. Most likely it would take Engineering and Operations to figure it out, but her first stop was Engineering. Hopefully they would have some answers sooner rather than later, but with the device she could still go back.

The doors to Engineering swished open just before Isabel as she walked in. Glancing around, she didn't see Todd, but did catch sight of her newly appointed Caitian Assistant Chief Engineer. Isabel hadn't seen L'randil since Nora had given her the news. Walking over to her, Isabel stood just off to the side so she wasn't in the way and greeted L'randil, "Good morning, Lieutenant."

L'Randil turned and dialed a function on her panel and then realized the captain had been referring to her. "Sorry, Ma'am." She straightened up. "I am still getting used to being called a Lieutenant."

Isabel smiled, "Certainly understandable. Congratulations on the promotion; how have you been settling in with your new role?" While her specific reason for going to Engineering was important, and although this day would happen again, Isabel still wanted to make time to find out. She would actually have to remember to ask again once things were set straight...

The caitian smiled self consciously before she replied. "For the most part it just seems like a confirmation of what I already was doing anyway. It is good to have the title and rank to go with the duties though."

"I'm sure it is," Isabel answered. It'd been awhile since she'd been in a similar position aboard the first ship she served on - coincidentally also the one she'd grown up on. Letting her eyes move around the room slowly before focusing back on the Caitain, Isabel asked, "How have things been going in Engineering? Have any other issues been found?"

The Caitian nodded and moved over to the main display panel. "The secondary plasma conduit detectors glitched and shut the thruster system offline. What I have not yet figured out is why." She said as she entered a command for a display change. "The sensors are supposed to monitor conduit pressure and temperature through the nacelles and they read a spike. What is odd is the system is not supposed to be able to surge unless someone has been tampering with the software, or had been sabotaging it."

Isabel frowned; considering what she had learned earlier, she wasn't surprised that someone had apparently either tampered with the software or had sabotaged the ship. Still, it was disconcerting. "Or if there's an official override in for some reason," Isabel added. It was certainly rare, but it was possible. "If there was tampering or sabotage, whoever did it must have been able to cover the tracks to some extent otherwise I imagine we would've been able to find it sooner..."

L'Randil nodded. "They had to be pretty good to fool us unless they were posing as station crew. The installation crews come and go at random and wouldn't be in our databases. It just makes me nervous to think about." She frowned and scrolled a Padd in her hand before turning it to show Isabel. "This is the list of related systems and access dates for their last services. I have not had time to verify identities, but I figured you would like to see it."

"Thank you," Isabel replied as she took the PADD from L'Randil. Though she didn't think the answer would simply stand out, she glanced through the list of names. Looking back up at the Assistant Chief Engineer, she said, "I'll take this to security and have them see what they can find. Work with the Operations department to try to find out more about what happened and how...as well as the identity of the person who did it. While we are underway now, if there is a member of the Starbase crew...or ours...that did this, we should find out."

"Understood, Ma'am." The engineer responded. "At least if we are away from the station it might help stabilize any staff rotations. Things should be fully functional shortly."

Nodding, Isabel answered, "Good to hear, Lieutenant. I don't want to hold you up...please keep Lieutenant Commander Zeral and I updated on your progress with the Operations department. If I find anything out from the Security department that's relevant, I'll be sure that Engineering and Operations know as well." Giving L'randil an encouraging smile, she added, "Good luck."

OFF:

JP brought to you by:

Assistant Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

N'rass
Senior Staff

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:56 pm

ON:<<USS Malinche, Corridor, Day 1, 1530>>

L'Randil walked along the hallway from her now primary role as an engineering officer to her secondary role as lead shuttlebay technician. She scrolled her data padd as she walked slowly, trying to eat a snack as she read.

A moment later she stumbled into her friend Maggie Nolan. The caitian being not of perfect balance fell backward onto the floor but managed to keep her snack in hand.

"I'm sorry," She blurted. "My mis... Oh Maggie." She smiled when she looked up to her human friend with an outstretched hand to reply to her own.

Maggie was going to the lounge for a snack when she found her friend in the hallway. Maggie also stretched out her hand to help up her friend. "Not to good at multitasking are you?" Maggie asked with a smirk. "Where are you off to?" she asked.

The caitian pulled up to standing position and straightened her uniform. "The bay. I have to check on how the runabout overhauls are coming. This whole added duty thing has really been tiring."

"Anything I could do to help you?" Maggie asked. "I haven't seen much of the ship and am curious about what some of the other people on this do . Other than her room and the lounge, she hadn't seen much of the ship. "I don't work today, so I am free to do anything." she said.

"If you want to come along I could show you around. I don't think Roen is on duty at the moment so what she doesn't see won't bother. Not that it would matter anyway." The engineer smirked.

"I would love to tag along, she said with a excited smile on her face. "It's better than sitting in my room." she said. "So where are we going first?" she asked.

L'Randil replied with a pointing gesture. "The bay office." She started walking, glancing up to the taller human. "I need to get the reports, then talk to the crews. They are pretty good on their own but they still need direction every once and a while."

"Ok, sounds like fun." Maggie said as they made their way down the hall to the door. There was a little noise coming from down at the far end of the echoing bay where the technicians were working away.

She followed L'Randil to the bay office and stood back and watched everything that was going on in the room. "So would you mind telling me what goes on in there?" Maggie asked.

L'Randil walked around to the other side of the desk and opened a drawer to get the report since Chief Roen was off duty at the time. "We rebuild and repair the shuttle craft down there. That used to be my job too." She said with a little reminiscent tone as she walked back over to Maggie and then out the door. "Let's go meet the guys."

"Howdy stranger!" The team leader said in a happy tone, leaning on the shuttle. "Been a while since we've seen ya down here miss Kitty. How's life outranking Roen been?"

L'Randil laughed. "A lot nicer than I thought it would go. She is totally different now." She glanced over to Maggie and back to her crewmates. "Have you guys met Maggie? She works the mess lounge."

"Cool, I thought you looked familiar." He replied with a smile. "We techs are a bit of a reclusive bunch, nice to see a civvie down here for once." He motioned around to the other two to come over. "This is Janice, Ron, and I am James."

"Hi everyone" Maggie said. She had not seen much of the ship at this point and was glad to meet some other people.

"How's the overhaul going?" L'Randil asked, getting back to business. "I know this Hunley class is a bit different to get used to."

"It took a while but it's good now. We should be done in a day or so. About 2 days too long for Roen, as you know." He said and they all laughed.

"What is a Hunley?" she asked with a confused look on her face.

L'Randil smirked. "This is a Hunley class exploration shuttle. It not only goes through space, but you can fly it into a planet's atmosphere like a normal shuttle and fly it into water. Truly remarkable technology to ride in underwater."

"Cool, It would be so neat to see inside it and travel in it!" Maggie said with a big smile. She thought to herself what it would be like to travel in a ship and realized she likes to keep her feet on the ground.

The engineer looked back over to her subordinates. "I'll let you guys to your work. Badge if you need me." They nodded and L'Randil motioned for the waitress to follow to the door. "Let's go up to my office, then."

Maggie followed L'Randil to her office and wondered what she would see next. When they arrived at the office, she sat down and looked around. "Do you have any coffee around?" she asked.

L'Randil smirked from her side of the desk. There's a replicator in the corner over there. The coffee is a far cry from what you make up in the lounge but it beats a trip to the other end of the ship." The computer blipped a couple noises as she entered her data.
"This shouldn't take too long to finish, then the shift is over. Maybe we could go over to main engineering for a while. Commander Peters is pretty lenient about visitors as long as I escort them."

"Yeah I guess we could go there." she said with a heavy sigh. "I was really hoping to relax tonight, since I have to be in the lounge all day tomorrow." she said. "So any suggestions on what we can do to relax tonight?" she asked L'Randil.

"I dunno, Mag." L'Randil said as she leaned back in her seat. "What do you humans like to do to relax?"

"Well considering I don't know many people on this ship, I usually sit in my room and read a book or watch a movie. "I like to take walks or just be outside." she said. "Do you know of anything that I haven't seen on this ship that you could show me?" she asked.

Being a waitress, Maggie doesn't see much of the ship. She hoped that hanging around with L'randil she could see more of the ship and learn more.

"Well, I'm a bit of a workaholic in remission to be honest. When I was a shuttle tech I'd work til I fell asleep, often in the shuttle and wake up there to keep going. That was until Roen changed the regulations on shifts. In a certain way I am grateful since that's the only way it would change." She stood up and walked around with her slight limp. "Holodeck programs are always a fun thing to do."

"Ok that sounds like fun." she said. Maggie finished her cup of coffee and waited for L'Randil to finish her work. She wondered what type of programs they had at the Holodeck.

Jp By

Maggie Nolan
Civilian Services
USS Malinche

and
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

N'rass
Senior Staff

Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:03 am

ON:<<USS Malinche, lounge, Day 1, 1730>>

Amber made her way through the seats of the mostly empty lounge to her usual seat in the corner of the room. She preferred to guard her back as well as observe as best she could. The half human half Betazoid was new to the Malinche, but not new to Starfleet's civilian services division. She had come aboard from the station to aid with the science and archeological departments due to her extensive experience with that field.

The PaDD in front of her was scrolled to a recent archeological text from Earth. She was skeptical that there could be any new finds from the planet at this point, but felt obligated to read it anyway. There was a mention of a buried town from the 20th century in the northern hemisphere. Her perusal was cut short by a young crewman who appeared cocky and undeniably male.

"You look like you could use some company, my lovely lady." He greeted in a smooth voice. Amber smirked with a coy expression.

"My reading matter was boring me anyway." She replied with a little humor and sarcasm at the same time. "A pilot, I see?"

"Why...Yes." He replied, a little surprised at her assertion. "Helmsman, actually. What role do you serve on this ship, if I may, miss?"

"Archeologist Amber Thanis. Sorry to be so bold, I tend to pick up on subtle cues easily." She said to put him at ease, not letting on that she could read his thoughts to an extent. "This is my first cruise on this ship, actually the first ship I have been on in a while other than a transport. Is this captain a social man?"

He laughed. "You are new aren't you? The captain is a woman. Fairly friendly, but I wouldn't approach her without a reason."

"I see. Apparently you have been on this ship a while?"

"Second cruise. I hope to make Junior grade by the end of this one. Ensigns don't get much for the work we do. Long shifts, pushy superiors. The usual."

"Interesting." She said as she leaned back in her seat and pulled her long thick red hair over one shoulder. Amber watched his eyes follow her hand down her hair in a slightly longing way. His thoughts made her smirk subtly but she just nodded.

"Your hair is so pretty. I don't think I have seen a Betazoid with red hair before."

She smiled. "That is from my father's side. He was Irish human. Mother said I got the Irish spirit too."

He sighed. "I find that quite attractive. A girl your age with some spark. Are you doing anything after this?"

"Not really. I was debating going to the holodeck Risa for some sun. This ship's lack of sun rays is depressing. I need some heat and sunlight. From the looks of it you do too."

"Sounds good. Mind if I join you?"

"Why not?"

OFF:
NPCs

Amber Thanis
Civilian
USS Malinche

by
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Davis
Senior Staff

Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:37 am

<USS Malinche, Corridor deck 5, Day 1, 1440 hrs>

The farther along the situation became, the more L'Randil wondered who the saboteur, one or more could be. As per recommendation of the Captain, she made her way up to the operation's office to see the director.

"N'Rass to Davis," she badged while walking. "Are you in your office for a while?"

<USS Malinche, Operations Office, 1440 hrs>

James was going over every little detail on what possibly could have gone wrong. He swore up and down to himself that everything was running smoothly. Running through the print-out of the warp drives, he was a little lost on how they failed and what caused them to fail. James took a sip of his coffee when his badge started chirping.

"N'Rass to Davis. Are you in your office for a while?"

James tapped his badge and replied, "Yes, lieutenant. I don't think I'll be going anywhere for a good bit. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the warp systems. At least, I think that's the problem from what I've heard. But come on by, maybe we can find some common ground and get this issue resolved."

"On my way, then," she replied as she rounded the turn to his office.

As she walked in, she tapped the open door as a gesture since he seemed to not notice her quiet caitian feet. "I don't believe we have met, Mr. Davis." She said with a hand out. "L'Randil N'Rass, but please call me L'Randil. Single name culture to dual name always grates me a little."

James stood up and shook L'Randil's hand and motioned to the chair in front of his desk. "Pleasure to meet you, L'Randil. I've been aboard the Malinche for about a year and I haven't gotten around to meet any of the other officers. But, a pleasure nontheless." He sat back down and straightened out the paperwork in front of him. The problem at hand was quite troubling and he hoped with the lieutenant's much needed help, the issue could be resolved in a timely manner.

"The issue with the warp drives is very disturbing and quite puzzling. I'm hoping that we can get to the bottom of this and figure out why it happened. I was having some trouble figuring it out on my own, but I spoke with Captain Kersare earlier and she requested that I team up with Engineering. Since you are one of the higher ups from Engineering, I'm glad we can get the investigation started. Where do we think we should start looking?"

She thought for a moment before replying. The best I could figure on the engineering data was the problem was a software issue in the plasma conduit control grid. The engines themselves were fine and the hardware was in spec the whole time but it caused a safety shut down of the system." She paused. "That means whoever this person is knew a thing or two about power programming."

James rubbed his hands together and took in everything L'Randil had said. What she said was on the mark, but the biggest question was the fact of who could have done this and whether or not they were still onboard the ship. "Hmmmm, I'm guessing we'll have to review all the data pertaining to the plasma conduit control grid and see where it'll lead us," he said with a little concern in his voice. This has definitely been troubling him since the captain announced the issue.

"There's an understatement. If this person knows that system they could take down anything on this ship short of weapons. The security algorithms have been updated since the incident, but they cracked in once so who knows how long it would take to do it again."

James nodded in agreement. "That's true, but we need to figure out if the person or persons responsible for this is onboard the ship or if this was done from a remote location. I think we need to team up with Security and see if we can go deeper into this investigation. Do you agree or do you have another suggestion? I'm open for all ideas at this point."

"Agreed." The engineer said with a nod. "I will have to do some digging, but I don't think it will be all that easy without security's clearances, if we can find it at all."

"Okay, great," replied the young ensign. "I'm sure Security will be getting a hold of one of us soon. In the meantime, I say let's dig up what we can find first and if anything comes up, we can keep contact on our findings." As he said those words, James knew that the task at hand was only going to become more challenging. They needed to find the source of the problem before any more issues come about.

OFF:

JP by:

Lieutenant JG L'Randil N'Rass
Assistant Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Last edited by Davis on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant JG James Walker Davis
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

N'rass
Senior Staff

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:44 pm

<Amber's quarters 1900 hrs Day 2>

Amber walked into her quarters with a sigh. The day had been interesting and tiring but it was still nagging at her mind that she still hadn't figured out what her objective for the cruise was. Typically she would have been informed or figured it out by now. The ensign she had dinner with was an easy read and nice enough but was not very informative. It didn't take a scientist to notice he was more interested in her red silk dress than conversing of anything important.

With another sigh she walked into her bedroom and slipped her shoes off, followed by her dress. As she turned around with her kimono robe over her shoulders, the irish woman froze. There was a book laying on her bed that she had never seen before and that alarmed her. She quickly tied her robe and looked around the room, then her quarters only to find it empty.

Secure military warships, eh? I'm not impressed. She thought to herself. "Computer, who entered this room?" Her voice was still shaking. "Crewman Thanis has entered the room."
No kiddin, ya silly computer.

She walked back to her bedroom and picked up the book. It was a vintage copy of a textbook titled "The 20th Century" Amber smirked sarcastically. Riveting. A text book. Oh well, at least it's an interesting time period. Wars, terrorism economic woes. Perhaps that was a sign...nah. She thought as she settled down onto the bed, leaning against the headboard to read some excerpts before sleep.

OFF:
Amber Thanis
Archaeologist/Historian
USS Malinche (PNPC)
played by:
Last edited by N'rass on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Harmon
Senior Staff

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:50 am

<USS Malinche, Deck 3 – Armory 1, Day 1, 1015>

Chief Harmon had decided earlier that his usefulness on the Bridge had reached it’s end. He turned everything over to Lieutenant Masterson and left to perform some routine security patrols and inspections. He was now down on Deck 3 getting ready to round the corner to enter Armory 1.

“Excuse me?”

Devon stopped and turned. “Hmm?”

Petty Officer Third Class Christina Benoit (NPC) was running up to him. “Are you heading into the Armory?” The Petty Officer was shaking a little. She knew that what the others had told her to do would be risky. But she was just glad it was another enlisted person and not Lieutenant Masterson.

“Yes,” replied Devon simply. He wondered where this was going.

“Well,” replied Christina, “you might want to reconsider.”

Now that came out of nowhere. Devon walked right up to Christina and spoke in a hushed tone. “Seriously, Petty Officer?”

It was now that Christina suddenly realized two things. Number one, the man standing in front of her was in Command red and not the standard gold for Security and Tactical. Number two, he was a Chief Petty Officer. She came to a rigid ‘at ease’ as the worst suspicion crept into her thoughts. This is the new Chief of the Boat and Master-at-Arms that is known for wondering the ship.

Devon noticed that the young lady suddenly changed her composure and found some bearing. “What is your name, Petty Officer?” Devon’s hushed, solemn tone and stoic appearance said it all.

“Petty Officer Third Class Christina Benoit, Chief,” she replied.

Devon took a step back and stared, emotionless, at Petty Officer Benoit. She was staring just past his left shoulder and into eternity. He noticed a bead of sweat roll down just in front of her ear.

“Well, Petty Officer Benoit, why should I reconsider going into the Armory?”

“Because, Chief,” she paused. “They, um…they’re…not doing their jobs, sir.” Christina didn’t want to tell the CoB exactly how childish her co-workers were being.

“Is that right,” said Devon. He turned to step into the Armory, leaving Petty Officer Benoit at her rigid ‘at ease.’

Light from the corridor crept into the dark Armory and lit the entryway. Chief Harmon walked in and the door slid closed behind him. A few emergency lights were all that lit the large room. Devon could hear scattered shuffling. He stepped into the shadows and followed the sounds. He stopped at the end of a storage locker and heard some talking on the other side. One voice was saying that he thought he heard the doors. The other wondered what Benoit was doing coming inside instead standing watch. Devon grabbed one of the duranium spheres that he kept in his pocket and lobbed it over the lockers and across the room. The sound it made reverberated throughout the armory. Feet shuffled forward. Devon walked around the other end of the weapons locker and right up behind the two personnel.

“Boo,” said Devon.

The men spun around and each pointed something in Devon’s direction. Instinct took over and he disarmed the one. Devon spun him around in front and wrapped his arm around his attackers neck. Once he had the weapon in his hands, he could tell that it wasn't a phaser. It was bulky, unbalanced, had a pistol grip, and felt like some sort of plastic polymer. Devon then pointed the toy weapon at the attacker and pulled the trigger. A series of lights blinked on the man’s chest followed by beeps.

“Aw c’mon, Benoit!” he (unnamed NPC) exclaimed. “You said you didn’t know to play this game! Computer, lights at one hundred percent!”

The lights came on and the young man saw that it wasn’t Petty Officer Benoit. But the man’s rank and departmental colors were obscured by his teammate. “Hey old man, care to let my teammate go since you ruined our game?”

Devon shoved his captive into the disrespectful Crewman that had just called him old. “Chief Petty Officer Harmon, Chief of the Boat and Master at Arms. Pleasure to meet you, too. Are you the leader of all this?”

“Uh, yes, Chief. I organized it. But let me explain…”

Devon cut him off. “Not now.” He shook his head. “Using the Armory as a playground for your silly games. Unbelievable. Now, bring me everyone in here.”

The Crewman ran off yelling, trying to get everyone to the front area that hadn’t already come. In a few minutes, he had everybody together.

Devon lined all six of them up and walked up and down the line…behind them. He spent the next ten minutes lecturing them and telling them how Lieutenant Masterson had told him that none of the enlisted crew were problems. He told them that he wouldn’t put them on report for something as silly as this…this time. Besides, Lt. Masterson had more important things to worry about than this. But if they ever did it again, they were in trouble. Then he started at one end of the line and gently slapped each of them in the back of the head.

“Stupid decision!” he said as slapped each man. Once he reached the end, he said, “Remember, a slap to the face is an insult. To the back of the head, it’s a wake-up call! Dismissed! Petty Officer Benoit, get in here.”

Benoit, who had been standing outside the whole time, came right in. “You called, Chief?”

“You get to finish the duty shift here,” he said. “Devon looked at the Crewman who had organized the whole thing. “And you’re on quarters for the rest of this shift until I can find some extra duty to keep your idle hands busy.”

The Crewman nodded and left.

Benoit looked at Chief Harmon. “But, Chief, I already have this duty in five hours.”

Devon looked at Benoit. “Stupid decision, wasn’t it? You’ll remember not to do it again.” He turned and walked out.

OFF:

All NPC’s played by
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Harmon
Senior Staff

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:02 am

<USS Malinche, Corridor outside Sickbay, Day 1, 1059>

Devon nodded a thank you to Lieutenant Dormand as he stepped outside the Sickbay the doors. He had been walking the ship on a routine security patrol when he passed by Sickbay. He had heard that the Malinche’s new Doc was from the Mirror Universe and wanted a chance to learn how he was integrating into the crew. The past few minutes had been informative. Overall, the Vulcan seemed to be doing okay.

Devon walked down the corridor and around the corner. He didn’t expect to run into Captain Kersare down there. But he actually almost did.

“Oh, uh, Captain. I didn’t see you there, Ma’am.”

Grinning, Isabel replied, "That's alright, Chief. A frequent problem with these pesky corners." After asking the computer for Devon's whereabouts, she had headed to the sickbay area immediately, hoping she wouldn't miss him. Apparently she needn't have worried about that. "I was actually coming to find you."

Coming to find him…interesting. “I hope there’s nothing wrong. It’s not every day that the Captain searches out the Chief. But then again, when that particular Chief is the CoB…who knows.” He smiled. “What can I do for you Ma’am?”

"Well, I'm sure you're aware of the fact that we were unable to leave yesterday as scheduled due to some issues that were found," Isabel began. By now there were likely various rumors circulating around the ship about it too. "Obviously having those types of issues arise when we've just completed repairs is rather disturbing and possibly suspicious..."

Devon nodded. He knew that they had delayed their departure for some reason. He had heard all the rumors…serious and silly ones. Everything from station docking problems to Engineering waiting on a shipment. But he paid them no attention. However, it was the Captain’s second statement, which she left hanging, that bothered him the most.

“Yes Ma’am, I was aware that our departure was delayed,” replied Devon. “And I’d agree that having any issues come up immediately following repairs is odd. But I’m afraid I don’t know what kind of issues were found, Captain.” Devon sidestepped toward the corridor wall to avoid a collision course with an Ensign.

Isabel tapped a finger absentmindedly on the PADD she was holding as she replied, "We had some malfunctions with the warp systems...at the time, we didn't have much in the way of specifics, but regardless, it certainly wasn't good. I've actually just come from a visit to Engineering; they have reason to believe that there may have been some sabotage involved."

Devon’s countenance grew somber. Sabotage was never good. His brain switched to the old investigator and started a list of questions to find answers to. Then he remembered that was no longer his job. He was a Chief of the Boat now. Master-At-Arms was his second position, not investigator. “I hate to here that. And I’ll do whatever I can to help. I’m not familiar with Engineering things or warp systems, but I’ll track down people or whatever you need me to do, Captain.”

Nodding, Isabel gave him a brief smile, "I was hoping you would say that. I realize you're not familiar with the Engineering systems, but I don't think that will be an issue. Lieutenant JG N'rass and Ensign Davis are getting whatever information they can from our systems and Ms. N'rass has already given me what she's found thus far." She offered the PADD to Devon before continuing, "In addition to the information from Lieutenant JG N'rass, I have added some notes as well. What I would like you to do, Chief, is investigate the matter and see if you can find out who sabotaged our ship. I realize this isn't specifically in your job description, but from what I understand you do have some experience in this area. Ensign Sirak (NPC) is our Security Investigations Officer, so you could work with her or whoever else you need."

Devon took the PADD from Isabel and continued to listen. When she finished, he replied, “Will do, Captain. And don’t worry about the job description. You get used to a very broad interpretation after a while.” He smiled. Devon also filed away Ensign Sirak for contact after he had spoken with Lieutenant N’rass and Ensign Davis. “And I’m sure any previous experience will come in handy. Have you been reading up on the Starbase 10 incident?” Devon was impressed that his newest Commanding Officer was as familiar with his personnel file as she was. To him, some of the others just seemed to nonchalantly page through it.

"I appreciate it, Chief. I've not gone through it in as much detail as I would normally like, considering recent events, but before all this I had been reading about it," Isabel confirmed. "Certainly intriguing...and quite an experience to be thrown into as soon as you get to your new assignment. I'm not sure that this investigation will be quite like this one, though that might be a good thing."

Devon chuckled. It was indeed an interesting situation for a new security investigations officer. “Agreed, Ma’am. I hope this one doesn’t open up like that one did. We had to drag all sorts of dusty skeletons out of closets for that one. I had to open lots of things that Starfleet Command and Starfleet Intelligence had sealed.” He shook his head. “Not a side of the Fleet I care to see again, if I can help it.”

"Hopefully this one won't involve skeletons," Isabel chuckled. "I'm not entirely sure what motive someone would have to sabotage us, if that is the case, unless there's something more to the mission we were supposed to have than initially thought. Hopefully we'll find some answers soon; I'm sure Starbase 422 would be interested in our results as well, since it likely took place on their base."

Devon nodded. “Understood, Ma’am. I’ll keep you informed as the investigation progresses. And, there’s one other question I had, Captain. My previous job in security investigations allowed a slight increase in my security clearance level. If there’s something that it won’t allow me access to, would my current job as the Malinche’s Chief of the Boat pick up any slack?”

"I appreciate that, Chief," she replied gratefully. Pondering for a moment, Isabel nodded slowly before saying, "Yes, it would. I don't know if your security clearance levels would automatically be adjusted or not... If not, I imagine Lieutenant JG Masterson can take care of that for you. Otherwise, I'm sure Lieutenant Commander Zeral or I could. If you need anything, or if anyone wants to be less than cooperative, let me know." She didn't really think anyone on the Malinche would be that way, but one never knew.

“Will do, Captain,” replied Devon. “I’ll ask Lieutenant Masterson about the clearance adjustment, then. I want to touch base with him before I start anything.” Devon paused for a moment. “Is there anything else I can do for you, Ma’am?”

Isabel shook her head, "No, Chief, I believe that's all. Good luck." Guessing he likely wanted to get to work, she gave him a brief smile and nod. Technically she had more things to look into as well.... Hopefully they'd get the pieces put together sooner rather than later, though with the device it didn't entirely matter, in a way...

“Thanks Captain,” said Devon. He nodded back to Isabel and turned to leave. He had a lot of things going through his mind right now and he needed to organize them. But first he needed to meet with Lieutenant Masterson.

Tapping his commbadge, he said, “Chief Harmon to Lieutenant Masterson.”

OFF:

JP brought to you by:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:23 pm

<USS Malinche, Sickbay, Day 1 1605>

Setak rubbed the back of his neck as he rotated and studied the biometric image on the display in front of him, he had been at work for more than twelve hours and between the multiple unexpected visits and extensive coursework the day had seemed much longer. It was of great relief to see the Captain stride into the room, in response to the call Setak had made some minutes prior.

"Good, you're here," Setak began impatiently, obviously fatigued. "I hope I didn't pull you away from anything important but I thought you would want to see this; especially considering the extenuating circumstances."

Isabel moved over to where Setak was, "Good afternoon, Doctor. And don't worry about pulling me away...there's always something that needs to be done and it sounded like this is rather important." He had been somewhat vague, leaving her to wonder what exactly was going on...

Setak motioned for the Captain to approach the room's primary display and brought up the scan that he had been studying so diligently. "Crewman Thomas (NPC) came in this morning complaining about a sore neck," Setak said with a neutral tone, as if he had repeated himself a time too many. "You are viewing an enlarged image of the Crewman's Brachial Plexus; an important cluster of nerves located in Humans in close proximity to the neck. As you can see here and here, there is significant swelling of the surrounding tissue resulting in acute irritation of the nerves."

As she neared the primary display, Isabel paused and listened to Setak's description. "Doctor, you'll have to forgive me as my specialty is certainly not medicine. I understand his nerves were irritated and his neck was sore...what are you thinking?" So far, she wasn't sure how what the Vulcan was telling her fit in with the 'extenuating circumstances'.

Setak turned to face the Captain with crossed arms, "I didn't think anything of the Crewman's injury initially; there was no reason to suspect it anything other than muscle strain or perhaps a work related accident. However, after hearing word of the ... Ongoing investigation I thought it prudent to take a second look. As it turns out, the tissue damage was most likely caused by excessive force applied directly to the affected area, force consistent with certain means of physical submission; namely what you might refer to as a "Vulcan Nerve Pinch". I believe that the crewman was assaulted."

"Assaulted?" Isabel took in what the Doctor had told her. "And you think this might have something to do with the investigation? Can you tell when the assault might have taken place? Perhaps if we had some more information, we could come up with a better timeline of events..." Questions raced through her mind, but she waited for Setak to answer the ones she'd already asked.

"Assaulted, after a fashion," Setak replied quickly. "His assailant was apparently attempting to render Thomas unconscious and maintaining the element of surprise but whoever did this was an amateur at best. My guess is that the attacker wanted to avoid any security alerts, such as those that would undoubtedly be set off in the event of weapons fire. No, the attacker wanted to subdue the crewman and in a way that would leave no evidence. Had their technique been more practiced they likely would have succeeded."

Nodding slowly as she listened, Isabel then said, "Did the Crewman lose consciousness at some point? I suppose it could be difficult to remember details if that were the case." The whole thing was troubling; she didn't like the idea of her crewmembers getting assaulted in any form though it did go with the job at times. And this could be another piece of the puzzle she had to fit together to put things right.

"Crewman Thomas mentioned that he had experienced just such a lapse in consciousness yesterday," Setak added. "Though I cannot give you any information more specific, perhaps interviewing Thomas would be the next logical step?"

"I would imagine that it is, Doctor," she confirmed as she clasped her hands behind her back. "An investigation is underway...some questions may be asked of you as well regarding the injuries sustained by Crewman Thomas. I'm not sure how much is possible, per se, but whatever additional information you could provide or look into would be beneficial - especially about the time of the incident or anything about the attacker."

"Ahh, the Attacker," Setak continued as he switched the monitor off and turning back to face the captain leaned against a nearby desk. "That is what I find most curious about this incident Captain, a Human, regardless of physical prowess would simply be unable to apply the pressure required to cause the amount of damage done. Rendering someone unconscious in this manner is a delicate task, it requires great strength and perfect technique, else wise the victim suffers injury or possibly death. I am no detective Captain but based on the physical evidence at this point it is my professional opinion that your attacker is most likely Vulcan. "

A Vulcan? That was certainly a twist. Isabel wouldn't have suspected that a Vulcan would sabotage the Malinche to prevent them from stopping the Romulans... "I don't want to question your conclusions, but I have a hard time thinking of a reason why a Vulcan would do such a thing... Not that I intend to rule it out, but are there any other species that could have possibly been the attacker?"

Setak studied the Captain sensing something hidden beneath her question, she already had suspicions it seemed or simply couldn't fathom a Vulcan doing such a thing. "I suppose so," he pondered out loud. "But none that you would likely encounter aboard one of your Starfleet bases... A Klingon could but then again, to my knowledge Klingons have never bothered taking the time to non lethally subdue anyone. A Breen, Nausicaan or perhaps a Romulan. Obviously, none of which would likely be able to find his or her way aboard a Federation starship..."

"True, but some could alter their appearance to look like another species... At least it narrows the possibilities some. Is there anything else you could tell me, or would you need to look into it more?" Considering the additional information she alone had, Isabel's gut told her it was a Romulan, but it could've been someone working for Romulans even. And there was the case of Valeris.

"I have nothing more at this time," Setak said as he pushed off from the desk and gestured for his commanding officer to accompany him to the exit. He didn't mean to be rude but he was fatigued, in need of a respite to collect his thoughts and truthfully had no other info for the Captain. "I assure you that I will contact you immediately if any other useful information turns up and I will be sure to forward everything I have to anyone who needs the information. If that is all Captain..."

Isabel followed Setak to the Sickbay doors. She wasn't particularly used to being ushered out of sickbay or an office, but it wasn't as if she had much else to add anyway. Perhaps it was just his way...there had been some rather odd doctors on the Malinche before, after all, and Setak was from the Mirror Universe. "I appreciate that, Doctor Setak. If you would, please forward your findings to Chief Harmon. If you need anything, let me know," she told the Vulcan. Really she had hoped to find out how he was fitting in, but perhaps this interaction was something of an answer. In any event, they seemed to be getting more information...hopefully it would help Chief Harmon.

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Provisional Lieutenant Setak
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Harmon
Senior Staff

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:42 pm

<USS Malinche, Deck 3, Armory 1, Day 1, 1515>

She had been working in the Armory for five hours already and her actual duty shift started only fifteen minutes ago. Ensign Benoit was in no way liking what happened with the new CoB. She spent the first five hours trying to think of things that she could do to try and repair her image for Chief Harmon. She thought about volunteering for extra duties. But then that information might not reach him. She thought about inviting him for dinner in the Mess Hall. But then that would be sort of weird. Everything from a holodeck program to flat out confronting him crossed her mind. And she didn’t settle on any of them.

There was no use in racking her brain for the rest of the shift. She decided it would be best to go ahead with what she was supposed to be doing right now and worry about the other later. About that time, a Crewman came in.

“Afternoon,” he said. “I’ve got a malfunctioning phaser I need to turn in.”

“That I can do,” replied Petty Officer Benoit. “Fixing it, now that’s a different story.” She smiled jokingly at the Crewman.

“Tell me about it,” he said. “I can fire them, but that’s about it. I leave the repairs to those better educated in such things.” He handed the phaser Benoit.

“What happened?” she asked.

“I was in the holodeck using a target practice game. It didn’t fire for a few times, then it started again, then it completely shutoff. I couldn’t even get it turned back on.”

“Okay,” she said, and pulled a PADD out of the desk with a repair form on it. Benoit motioned to the chair against the wall. “Have a seat and fill out the bottom portion.”

The Crewman sat down and started telling his side of the story to the PADD. He was certain that once they got the phaser opened it would tell a different story. That’s the way his luck always ran.

Petty Officer Benoit carried the phaser back and logged it into the repair locker. She got a replacement and brought it out to the Crewman. She laid it on the desk. “When you’re finished with that, sign here and the phaser is all yours.” She pushed another PADD toward the Crewman.

“Paperwork,” he growled.

“Yeah, but it’s better than all of a sudden having fifty phasers unaccounted for,” replied Benoit.

The Crewman sighed. “Yeah, I guess you’re right there.” He handed the finished the PADD back to the Petty Officer and signed the other PADD for receipt of his new phaser. “Such is the life of Starfleet’s enlisted crew.” He then turned and left.

Benoit filled out her portion of the repair request and then sent it on to the appropriate personnel. She sat back and wondered what the rest of her duty was going to be like.

OFF:
Petty Officer Third Class Christina Jeanne Benoit (NPC)
Security Guard

played by
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

N'rass
Senior Staff

Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:20 pm

<USS Malinche, Corridor outside Sickbay, Day 1, 1200>

Devon turned and headed to the turbolift. He had several things to do, one of which was to coordinate with Lieutenant N’rass and Ensign Davis. He had a few questions for them in the hopes of narrowing down the list. He noted the Captain’s advice about getting with Ensign Sirak. Or maybe even Lieutenant Masterson. Chief Harmon didn’t want to get confused with so many thoughts and questions running through his mind. So he organized his to-do list on the PADD. Number one, meet with Lieutenant Masterson. Number two, eat lunch. Number three, compile additional questions. Number four, meet with Lieutenant N’rass and Ensign Davis.

<Corridor in front of turbolift, 1555 hours>

Chief Harmon had left his office with PaDD in hand. The follow-up questions he had prepared were added to the information. The conversation with Lieutenant Masterson had been helpful. He paused for a few seconds outside the doors and thought about who he should start with. After a couple of minutes of contemplation, he tapped his commbadge.

“Chief Harmon to Lieutenant N’rass.”

L'Randil stretched her arms out as she leaned back in her station chair. She had been working at the primary distribution console in engineering trying to figure out what she could on the situation. "N'Rass?" She replied flatly.

“Sorry to bother you, Lieutenant. But Captain Kersare and I just finished talking. She assigned me to investigate the incident and gave me some information from you. I’ve got just a few more questions if you have time, Ma’am.”

The caitian smirked a little at the note of respect. The title was still sinking in, to be called Ma'am. "Sure. I am in Engineering when you want to come up."

“Thanks, Ma’am. I’m on my right now.” Devon stepped inside the lift and announced his destination. The car whirred to life and carried him on his way.

<Main Engineering>

Devon weaved his way around the staff to find the Assistant Chief Engineer. He knew that she was a Caitain, so she shouldn’t be that hard to spot. That, and he didn’t know of any more that worked in Engineering. Spotting who he suspected was the Lieutenant, Chief Harmon made his way over to the console.

“Lieutenant N’rass?”

L'Randil tilted an ear backward, then spun her chair to face Devon with a young smile. "Yes, Chief?" Her tail slowly wrapped its way around to the front of her leg, then twitched a little as it did when she was curious. "How can I help you?"

Devon watched her tail twitch back and forth for a few seconds. Then he looked up at the Lieutenant. “Forgive me, Ma’am. But in all my years in Starfleet, I’ve never met a Caitain until now.” He paused, hoping that his apology for watching her twitching tail had been accepted. “I was going over this list from the Captain and had a few extra questions. Would you prefer to go through them here or use an office, Ma’am?”

She smirked at his glance and apparent nervousness. "Don't sweat it. I'm used to being the only one on the crew with a tail so it doesn't bother me that much."

L'Randil pushed on the arms of the chair to help herself up. "We can take this to the office. I Commander Peters is on second shift today, so we won't be intruding." She hid her limp mostly as they walked "Not that he would mind anyway."

Devon relaxed only slightly at L’Randil’s statement. He didn’t like to be too at ease around the officers. Unless of course he had spent some time with them off duty and knew them rather well. And he hadn’t had the chance yet to meet Lieutenant N’rass on those grounds. He followed the Lieutenant into the office.

Once the door closed behind them, she walked over and sat down at the desk and motioned for him to do the same. "So what have we here?"

Devon sat down where L’Randil motioned. “Just a couple of extra questions to see if we can’t narrow things down a bit more. That’s all.” He shifted in the chair so that he leaned on the right arm. “First, have you found whether it was a problem within the warp system or was it an actual tampering? I mean, was it a computer problem or did a part get physically altered?”

L'Randil could tell the unease of the Chief across from her, so she motioned to the dish of mints on the desk hoping to break the tension a little. "From what we can tell, the hardware was within specifications or at least it was cleared before we could tell otherwise. The drive software for the conduit network was altered however." She leaned back as she took a mint to taste.

"If the person could hack into that system, I can only imagine what they could do shipwide."

Devon was appreciative of the mint offer. He leaned forward, picked one out, and tossed it into his mouth. Leaning back, he made notes as Lieutenant N’rass continued.

When she finished, he said, “Agreed, Ma’am. If he, or she, is still onboard, he could really make a huge mess of things. That’s why we need to quickly find out who it was. And thanks for the mint.” Devon smiled and relaxed more. “So, the saboteur needed to have an excellent working knowledge of the Prometheus class and Starfleet computer systems, then?” he asked. “And would he have needed an authorization code to access that particular system?”

"Well," L'Randil said in thought. "I don't think you would need Prometheus class knowledge so much as ODN and Plasma propulsion system knowledge. That would mean an engineer of some sort. Authority is a matter I don't know enough to answer for sure."

“Okay,” Devon said, as he continued to make notes. “Two more things, Ma’am, and then we’re done. Number one, what part did Ensign Davis play in the repairs? Number two, do you have any thoughts you’d like to add regarding the investigation or the security breach?”

She sighed. It was different being the go-to for the department. A moment passed with her tail flicking behind her chair as she shifted. "I believe he was overseeing the specialists team at the time." She then leaned back. "I am not much of a detective, but I would say to look for someone who was on duty at that point. If the person was not on duty or logged on, the system would have highlited or crewmen would have noticed."

Devon made the final notes and scooted forward in his chair. “Thanks for you help, Ma’am. I didn’t mean to take so much of your time, but you’ve been instrumental in helping to paint the picture of who we’re looking for.” He paused for a second, then thought he would go ahead and ask. “Do Caitains shake hands, or paws, upon greeting and departing?” Chief Harmon was trying to be as culturally responsible as possible before just presumably thrusting his hand out.

She smiled. It had been a while since anyone had thought to consider such an item. "Traditionally a female would depart with a full courtesy bow but I tend to just go with the more masculine universal human bow or salute. It is a bit easier on my hip."

“Understood, Ma’am.” Devon wanted to try and stay as close as he could to her traditions. But since the Lieutenant mentioned her hip, he didn’t want to cause her any discomfort. Devon stood. “With regards to your hip then, Ma’am…,” he said with a sharp salute and kind smile.

"Thank you." The engineer saluted back and smiled warmly as she watched him walk out of the room. She settled back into her seat and crossed her arms gently.

Devon stepped out of the office and made a mental note. He hoped to run in to Lieutenant N’rass again, albeit, off duty. Caitain culture was intriguing to him and he wanted to learn more. But in the meantime, he had another officer to talk to.

OFF: A JP by

USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

N'rass
Senior Staff

Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:43 pm

<Civilian quarters, Day 2 0300>

The Archaeologist rolled over in her bed, padd still on the page where she fell asleep at. When she rolled far enough, it fell to the floor with a slap noise. That startled the Betazoid enough to sit up against her arms propped behind her.

"Wha...Who..." She blurted as she looked around the room to find nothing of alarm. Silly lass. She thought to herself, bending over to pick up the device. She read a little of it before falling back asleep again. Back into the dream she had been in before.

When morning came, she slipped out of her night gown and into a generic Khaki pants and red polo shirt outfit. She tied her thick red hair back in a simple pony tail and smirked at how conservative she looked in that ensemble. Normally one for a more flirty look, it seemed time for a toned down day.

"Computer, replicate a terran donut, chocolate and a Coffee iced with three sugars." The breakfast items materialized in time for her to grab them on the way by, still reading the padd. She found the chapters centered around the 1980s particularly interesting for the first time since she had studied earth history. There was still a suspicion of the book being planted by someone, but she decided not to focus on it too much.

The ship was mostly quiet at that point in the morning, which was fine with Amber. Mornings were not her thing, so it was good to avoid unnecessary interactions until her coffee kicked in. Only a couple officers were in the lab when she arrived at her station. As an Archaeologist on a ship of war, there were little artifacts to deal with but as a historian there was a little bit of cultural anticipation studies to catch up on. Her time in diplomatic corps was short and part-time, but it was nevertheless interesting.

"Thanis," The ensign next to her said gruffly. Amber rolled her eyes subtly.

"What, Kartil?" She replied in a not quite interested tone. He tended to be a bit pushy toward the civilians. Flirting did little to help the matter yesterday, so today she just decided to let it be.

"I need you to look over this file for potential glitches. It is centered around Sector 001, so there should be plenty of information available."

"Aye, I'll be gettin it then." She replied with a sigh as she took the Padd and turned her chair back to position. He squinted and turned to walk back across the room to another project in a tense mood. For the most part the Sector 001 projects were beginner level rehashes of previous works and Amber felt a bit put off by it. Nevertheless, it was what she was there to do so she put her feelings beside and pressed on.

OFF:

Amber Thanis (PNPC)
Archaeologist/Historian
USS Malinche

NPC by
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A