Posts for the USS Malinche's missions

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Re: Mission 21 - Bad Medicine

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:12 am

ON:
<<Lounge, Day 2, 1800>>

After their orders had been taken, Isabel, the senior staff, and their guests continued their conversation while they waited. Though there were a few awkward moments, for the most part things seemed to be going well, much to Isabel's relief. Of all of them, it seemed that Eldred (NPC) was the most...difficult. The other doctors, Alexander (NPC), Darius (NPC), Janor (NPC), and Ren (NPC) were rather pleasant and seemed happy to engage in conversation.

Still, Isabel was glad to see the waitresses returning with everyone's meals. As Lena (NPC) approached her, she smiled, "Thank you, Lena. Could you also make sure everyone has their drinks refilled, if need be?" She breathed in the aroma of the Bajoran pasta dish; it smelled delicious.

"Of course, Captain. We were planning to take care of that once everyone received their meals," the waitress replied with a pleasant smile.

Seated between Gel (NPC) and Brun, Nora couldn’t quite decide if she was really enjoying herself or not. On the one hand, Gel and Darius to her left were certainly keeping her entertained, and it was rather comfortable to be with fellow Betazoids again. On the other hand, sitting next to the Caradassian doctor was a bit of a trial. Even the ever-optimistic Nora had to admit that much to herself. Though she had largely escaped Brun’s notice so far, it was impossible not to hear some of the things he had said. It certainly made for…interesting…dinner conversation. Then again, now that the food had arrived, perhaps that would distract the doctor for a time.

Janor (NPC) smiled as the waitress refilled his drink and then looked hungrily at his meal. It had been a long day and he had been very much looking forward to dinner. The salad itself was crisp and fresh; the balance of flavors - a slight hint of sweetness with a spectacular splash of acidity in the dressing - was delightful. "Captain, I must compliment you on your amazing chefs. Even this salad is quite the treat."

Isabel smiled, "Thank you, Doctor. I'll be sure to pass that along. Admittedly they don't always get to cook with fresh ingredients, so I think they were trying to make the most out of it." She had to agree with the doctor; thus far everything had been great. After politely waiting for everyone to finish their salads, Isabel took her fork and began twirling it in the pasta, wrapping the delicate strands around the tines.

As Alexander had already guessed, the prime rib had not been prepared fresh. Still, replicated or not, it was close enough to the real thing to make even a prime rib aficionado like himself happy enough to eat it. “You’re mad to have ordered that awful muck,” he said under his breath to Darius beside him, giving a dramatic shudder just at the sight of the Zabu stew. “Besides, I thought most of you Betazoids preferred meatless entrees.”

Darius smiled at his colleague’s assumption of stereotype. “If that’s true, then it’s probably because the red meat offerings on Betazed aren’t nearly as appetizing as on other planets,” he chuckled. “To tell you the truth, though, even I’m beginning to question my own decision in ordering the stew. I think I’ll stick to my salad for now while I work up the courage to try it.”

The Trill chuckled slightly at Darius' reflection before glancing over at the Cardassian and asked, "So, Dr. Brun, how is your Zabu Stew? Is it to your liking?" He had noticed the other doctor eyeing the bowl, though he wasn't sure if the Cardassian had actually tried it. Truthfully, after getting a good look at the stew himself, Janor was less certain about his choice. He had already chosen it though and would, of course, eat it. It would be rude to do otherwise.

"My boy, one must not rush these things," Brun replied sagely with a wave of his spoon. "I am enjoying the stew's aroma first and as pleasant as that alone might be there is a reason for it. Acclimating your olfactory sense to the stew a;so prepares your taste buds to receive it in the most agreeable way possible. One can simply eat a thing but to truly enjoy a culinary experience is an art for unto itself."

The Trill dipped his spoon into the stew, gathering up a hearty spoonful. As Janor brought it closer to his mouth, he breathed in the aroma. It didn't smell wonderful, per se, but the smell intrigued him, though he couldn't quite place it. As the stew hit his taste buds, he knew he was in for quite the experience with his meal. The various seasonings and spices in it danced around his taste buds, while the meat was actually fairly tender. Nodding and showing a slight smile, Janor reported, "Well, it is certainly an experience. I think it's actually quite..."

"Peculiar," Brun said as he stopped his own spoon just prior to taking his first taste. Staring at the liquid on the spoon he grunted, "This isn't how I ordered my stew!"

Concerned lest the Cardassian should choose to make a scene, Nora attempted to intervene before Brun grew too upset. In truth, the stew looked perfectly fine from her vantage point, but she knew better than to try to convince him of that. “Perhaps there was a mix up in the kitchen,” she said diplomatically, promising herself that she’d talk to the Lounge staff privately later on to assure them that their service had in all actuality been perfect. “I’m sure that we can set the matter to rights, though.”

Isabel turned her attention to Eldred and Nora. She hoped that the Cardassian wouldn't make a scene, though she had a feeling that he might. Glancing up she caught the eye of Lena and beckoned her over. Before she could speak to the waitress or Eldred could respond, the sound of a dropped utensil caused her to turn her head.

A look of confusion crossed Janor's face as he went pale and dropped his spoon, which clattered into the bowl and splashed some of the liquid onto the table. He tried to speak, but was struggling to breathe as his heart pounded in his chest and his eyes widened. Janor's eyes rolled back into his head as he fell off his chair.

Setak's fork hung in mid air and his mouth gaped as he watched Janor fall to the floor, somewhere in the back of his mind a voice was screaming for him to leap into action but the suddenness of it had him stunned motionless. Finally he managed to exchange glances with a few others around the table, they seemed equally as shocked as he was.

"Dr. Keel?" Isabel exclaimed as she stood quickly, nearly tipping her chair over. She wasn't entirely sure what was happening, but it had happened fast. Turning to Setak, she said, "Doctor, help him!" Her eyes locked on the Vulcan for a moment before turning back to the Trill who was now lying on the floor.

“Gel,” Nora exhaled in a sharp whisper, her hand instantly gripping her fiancé’s as the moment seemed to play out in slow motion before her. There was nothing she could do in that awful moment, nothing that Gel could do either, and the intensity of the stunned emotions from those around her flooded her senses. On her feet almost before she realized it, the Betazoid moved to stand beside Isabel and watched in complete silence, hoping against hope that the young Trill would be all right.

Setak looked to the Captain then back to Janor and in an instant his fork had been dropped, it clattered onto his place, and the Vulcan went into motion. Crouching down beside the Trill he put his fingers to the back of the man's neck, there was no pulse, Janor was dead. A tricorder appeared in a hand over the Doctors shoulder but he didn't look to see who was offering it he merely snatched it up and began taking a scan. While not a medical tricorder the standard issue tricorder was still more than capable of taking tissue readings, the results of the scan were not encouraging. "He's gone into cardiac arrest..." Setak leveled a disturbed expression at the Captain. "He's dead."

“What in god’s name are you talking about?” Alexander demanded, shock written plainly across his face as he tried to assimilate Setak’s terrible pronouncement. Janor couldn’t be dead. The Trill was clearly in the prime of his life. Men like him simply didn’t drop dead in the middle of dinner. “He’s not—he can’t be—” He took a half step forward, stopping only when Darius’ hand caught his elbow.

“Doctor Setak, there must be something you can do,” Darius said, a note of desperation evident in his voice. Seeing Janor crumble to the ground had been as alarming for him as for anyone. Yet he wanted to believe that something could be done, even as the realization slowly sank in that the Vulcan would surely have done more if he reasonably could.

"Captain," Setak said, ignoring Alexander and the other onlookers. "I need to get this man to sickbay immediately, permission to transport?" Setak did however agree with Alexander, the Trill was in the prime of his life and there was so little chance of him randomly suffering a heart attack that he couldn't entertain the concept seriously. No, something else had happened but if the Vulcan's suspicions were correct he had precious few minutes to get Janor's body into a stasis chamber to preserve whatever it was that had precipitated the episode.

Isabel had watched the scene unfold in horror. Death was something not unknown to her or the Malinche crew, but never had it happened to a guest. And Janor? A young, promising Trill, who was easily the most personable of the neurologists? It took her a moment to come back to her senses, but she then quickly nodded, "Absolutely, Doctor." Isabel tapped her commbadge, "Kersare to Transporter Room - two to beam directly to sickbay; lock onto Doctor Setak's commbadge."

Still shaken, Isabel gripped the edge of the table for support as she felt the eyes of the other doctors and her senior staff on her. After briefly considering what their course of action would be, she looked up at them. "I'm not entirely sure what just happened here and I imagine we won't have a better idea until Doctor Setak reports back to us. In the meantime, this has become a crime scene. Lieutenant Masterson, you will head up the investigation. I trust that Lieutenant McKeon could assist with any information gathering you need. Noone is to leave this room until dismissed by Lieutenant Masterson."

Taking a deep breath, Isabel indicated to Aaron and Alister that they should approach her. Once they had, she spoke more quietly, so only they could hear. "I hate to jump to conclusions, but it seems that at least one of our guests has been targetted. I'll leave it up to you, Mr. Masterson, to see to their safety. Any questioning or evidence gathering you need to do, please get started. My guess is that we'll know more once I get a report from Doctor Setak. Mr. McKeon, I'm not sure how much information you were able to get on our guests thus far, but if at all possible, I'd ask that you look further into each of their backgrounds. If either of you needs my assistance, please let me know."

OFF: Tag all

JP brought to you by:

NPC Neurologists
played by: Lt Setak, Cdr Zeral, Capt Kersare

and

Provisional Lieutenant Setak
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

McKeon
Senior Staff

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:17 am

ON:
<<Lounge, Day 2, 1800>>

Alister watched the events unfold in front of him with an uneasy sense of calm; it wasn't the first dinner party he had been to that ended with someone dying in front of him. He stopped his train of thought and made a mental note to start trying to attend normal parties rather than ones that ended in shootings. His eyes observed the other dinner guests as he tapped his comm badge lightly and whispered a few words to place his entire department on alert. If someone was trying to kill one of the doctors and had hit the correct target, his eyes darted over to Dr. Eldred Brun, or the wrong target they could be trying to send a message and he wanted it intercepted or preferably jammed until they could get ahead of the rapidly developing situation.

When the Captain waved him over he got close enough and nodded his head at her orders, “I got the basic background info when they arrived, and except for large gaps in Dr. Brun’s, nothing jumped out as a red flag. If I had to make a guess I would say the wrong target was hit, strikes me as sloppy work possibly an amateur. I will dig more into their backgrounds, but don’t expect much from Dr. Brun, I don’t have a lot of Cardassian contacts I trust to keep quiet; the best I can do is contact Bajor and see what they have on file.” He frowned slightly, “We will need to check on the Doctor that did not show up to dinner, make sure we don’t have two targeted killings to investigate. If you’ll excuse me I need to get down to my section, I placed them on alert and I need to get started on calling a few sources.” He nodded to the Captain and Chief of Security before exiting the lounge and making his way back to his office, it was going to be a long day.

OFF:
Post by:
Lieutenant Alister McKeon
Chief Intelligence Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Dallas
Senior Staff

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:51 am

ON:
<<Lounge, Day 2, 1810>>

Karyn had just dipped her spoon into her bowl when what she expected to be a small clank of the spoon hitting the bottom turned into a much louder commotion. Startled, Karyn jumped and felt the splash of hot soup splatter against her dress whites. She was mid-curse when she looked over and realized what was happening. Dallas' nurse's training kicked in quickly enough, but Setak got to their distressed guest well before she did in her hoverchair.

It wasn't until the doctor pronounced the man dead the moment turned surreal for Dallas. She wasn't exactly expecting a medical emergency at such a formal dinner, of course, but it wasn't so unexpected that Karyn was completely blown away. Her first instinct told her the man had choked on something or experienced an allergic reaction...events that weren't pleasant certainly, but not utterly shocking for someone with medical training either.

Karyn didn't have time to process the news before she was pulled into the chaos around her. Her eyes automatically went to her own people first. The thought was fleeting, but she worried instantly about Setak, who so soon after Julie's near death, was being confronted with another tragedy that he might feel he was obligated to avoid. Was he going to be able to deal with this objectively? Her eyes also fell to the Captain, who was clearly shaken, but attempting to regain control. Dallas felt a mild twinge of guilt for focusing on her people so automatically when she realized how understandably distressed their other guests were.

She was torn. She needed to attend to their other guests, but she wanted to let the others know she was prepared to assist in the immediate aftermath of the investigation, whether it be helping with interviews, offering some psychological expertise or assisting with the medical exam. She decided to approach Kersare, Masterson, and Allister quickly. "I need to attend to our guests, but if you need me to help you talk to witnesses or lay the possibilities out psychologically, let me know." Her voice was clear, but hushed.
Karyn Dallas
Acting Chief Counselor
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:07 pm

ON:
<<Lounge, Day 2, 1820>>

Isabel listened to Alister as he spoke, nodding as he did so and watched as Karyn approached them. "Obviously it's somewhat early to determine if this was an accident or murder, let alone who the intended target, but we need to figure it out as soon as possible," she replied, still keeping her voice down. "Regardless, please do see what more you can find out...discreetly if at all possible. I imagine security can see about locating Doctor Banks. Go ahead and get to work."

Though she wasn’t entirely surprised that her new Chief Intelligence Officer’s thoughts first turned to murder, Isabel wasn’t willing to make that leap quite yet. True, Janor (NPC) had seemed to be in good health, but that didn’t mean he didn’t die of natural causes. It could have been an allergic reaction, even. Turning back to Aaron, Isabel said, “I believe we should probably test Doctor Keel’s meal, just to be safe…and perhaps the others as well.” Doctor Brun had been quite specific about his meal as well, which seemed a bit odd to her.

Looking over at Karyn as the counselor spoke, Isabel nodded in understanding. As counselor it made sense that she wanted to attend to the guests. “Of course, counselor; I’m sure they’re probably at least unsettled if not in shock at Doctor Keel’s sudden death… I don’t want to speak for Lieutenant Masterson here, but I imagine that any help you can provide in the investigation would be appreciated. If you need my assistance with anything or have any concerns, counselor, please let me know.”

“Do you need me for anything at the moment, Lieutenant Masterson? If not, I will head to Sickbay to see what kind of progress Doctor Setak is making,” Isabel said, turning her attention back to her Chief Security/Tactical Officer.

OFF: Tag McKeon/Dallas/Masterson, others
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

McKeon
Senior Staff

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:01 am

ON:
<<Intel Office, Day 2, 1830>>

Alister entered his office and looked around giving a nod to the developments he saw, a pair of operatives stood guard in the far corners of the room ready to respond to any unauthorized access. The terminals were filled as agents went to work observing and recording all the signals coming and going to the Malinche. “Tirania, Chief, in my office,” he said briskly with a nod to his two most trusted subordinates as he headed directly for his office. The two followed him and sat in front of his desk as he slid in behind it, “Alright, we need answers, I know we have received the basic information packet on all of our guests, I want you quietly to request additional information from your sources.”

He turned to look at Tirania, “I especially want you to look at the Doctor who was killed, Dr. Janor, find out if there is anything in his background that could make him a target.”

“Of course sir,” she replied with a nod making a few notes in a PADD.

“Chief,” he said glancing over at the senior noncom, “Do you have any Cardassian sources you can trust?” He had mentally reviewed all of his contacts from that side of the border and had come up empty on any he trusted to keep quiet.

The Chief paused and then shook his head, “If you want it done quietly then the answer is no.”

Alister frowned, “Alright I will get in touch with Bajor and hope they have some additional information. Also run a check on the new doctor, the one with XO, Dr. Gel Mellix. I don’t think you’ll find anything but I want to cover all of our bases.”

“Do you want both of us to run checks on all the doctors, still alive” the Chief asked.

“No, we’ll divide the rest among ourselves, anything comes up we can always bring additional resources on the issue,” Greg said quickly dividing up the group evenly and shooting the list to his subordinates. “It’s going to be a long night for us, keep the section on alert, until I tell you otherwise, and quietly pass out covert weapons to the team. I would rather answer questions on why someone got stun then have a died crewmen on our hands.”

“I will see to it personally, sir,” the Chief replied with a nod standing up.

“Alright report back when your assignments are complete, the rest of the team can concentrate on going over any signals the ship’s received unless you want one of them brought onto to assist your search.” Alister said turning to his console with a nod dismissing them back to their stations.

OFF:
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Aurora
Senior Staff

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:03 pm

<<Engineering, Day 3, 0800>>

Aurora entered engineering and strode briskly across the deck towards the warp core. Around her engineers and technicians went about their tasks but she could sense all of them were buzzing with curiosity regarding the events of the night before. She decided she needed to address the issue head on. She placed both pinkies in her mouth and let out a sharp whistle, which caused anyone who had not yet noticed her to stare.

"All right," she said, "I am going to keep this brief. If you do not already know one of our guests died last night during dinner. We do not know how or why it happened; it could have been to a prior medical condition or an allergy or some other cause. You can speculate on your own time but I ask you not to let it interfere with your duties. The appropriate personnel are looking into the incident, so it need not concern you unless I say otherwise. Just do your jobs and I am certain the situation will be quickly resolved."

She paused, then added, "That being said, it is entirely possible Security or Medical might have questions or request our help. How or why I do not know at this time. If that happens then I insist you show discretion in the matter. Thank you, carry on."

Aurora entered her office and ordered up a hot chocolate. She then spent a full minute examining the mug, then used a tricorder to insure there was nothing untoward in it, like a laxative. Relatively certain it was safe for her consumption, she took a sip. Chief Standish poked his head in and asked, "Sir? Anything I should know?"

Aurora considered that, then motioned for him to sit. She scooted close and said, "So far it looks like a death from misadventure; no one is claiming it is murder. At least no one said anything to me. Nevertheless..."

She sat back and shrugged, "If it was murder then I'm assuming it was poison. And if it was poison, then the question is how was it delivered?"

Her eyes narrowed, "Hmmm. Chief, I am going to do some unprofessional snooping," she stood, "Give me a call if you need me...
Lieutenant JG Aurora
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Setak
Crewmember

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:31 am

ON:

<<Sickbay, Day 2, 1845 hours>>

Setak backed away from the stasis bed as it’s indicators showed that Janor’s body was in a state of atomic suspension. His hands found the edge of the biobed behind him and he leaned against it while letting out a long sigh, a few deep breaths began to alleviate the apprehension he felt welling up inside. His eyes locked on Maria’s who stared at him with concern from the far side of the stasis bed, indeed she had regarded him with silent hesitation throughout the half hour procedure.

“I’m fine,” Setak replied to her unspoken question.

“Your heart rate is elevated and your skin temperature has risen,” she stated knowingly though in a hushed tone.

“I’m fine,” Setak responded again, this time with a finality that told the hologram to drop it. “Begin a series of deep scans, we’re looking for a toxin of some sort, perhaps a very well hidden one.”

“Doctor?” Maria replied with surprise, hesitating to start the scan. “I don’t follow..?”

Setak waved his hand dismissing Maria’s questioning but he understood the hologram’s confusion well enough; the autopsy of the Trill had revealed no other reason for the man’s death other than what had been self evident in the conference room, cardiac arrest. But that explanation, despite being the obvious case, didn’t satisfy Setak. Janor was a young man in his prime, the autopsy also had revealed that he was in perfect health, better than perfect compared to most, in fact. “The Doctor was at his peak, Maria,” Setak explained finally. “Sure, things happen, but not this sort of thing to this sort of person.”

“And so you suspect foul play,” Maria concluded with raised brows.

“I suspect so, yes,” Setak replied with a troubled grimace. “But I don’t understand how, or why, someone would do this.“

Maria nodded and mentally began the deep scan that Setak had ordered, she regarded the Vulcan thoughtfully as she did. He was very much unlike the other organics she had served with, at times this difference was quite frustrating but at others she found it endearing. As she got the results from her scan back she felt displeased to have to reveal them to the Doctor. “Deep scan has come back negative for any trace of toxin,” Maria explained with little emotion.

“Damn,” Setak muttered under his breath as he pushed away from the biobed and began to circle the stasis bed holding Janor’s corpse.

Maria watched the Vulcan with the same concern that she had before for a few moments before interrupting his thoughts, “I’ve logged the time of death and report of our findings here Doctor. If there’s nothing else…”

“Thank you Maria,” Setak replied with a sigh of exasperation. “I’d like you to take a few more scans just to be sure…” All evidence pointed to a natural death yet Setak was having a hard time believing that, perhaps it was his stubborn nature but something deep inside told him to pursue the matter further and he intended to. “I’m going to find the Captain and discuss our results with her in person, you will let me know if you find anything else?”

“Of course doctor,” Maria replied dutifully as she watched him stride out of sickbay.

OFF
Lieutenant Setak
Biologist
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:34 pm

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Gel’s Quarters, Day 2, 1155>>

With Nora off doing whatever it was Executive Officers did in the wake of an unexpected death, Gel (PNPC) was in the company of Alexander (NPC), doing his best to comfort his friend and colleague. To call Janor’s death a terrible shock was an understatement in the extreme. No one had seen such an awful thing coming, and even Gel, who prided himself on being a stoic when the going got tough, was still struggling to fully grasp the situation.

Whatever he was feeling, however, paled in comparison to what Alexander was experiencing. The older human had clearly had a great fondness for the young Trill, and while Janor was relatively new to the field of neuroscience, Alexander had championed him at every turn. With the glass of replicated Scotch that Gel had pressed into his hands still untouched, Alexander stared sightlessly at a spot on the floor, his eyebrows drawn into a sharp frown.

“He was so young, Gel,” Alexander finally said, breaking the silence. “It just doesn’t make any sense. Healthy young Trills just don’t go collapsing at dinner parties. Not like Janor, anyway.” Shaking his head dully, he repeated lifelessly, “It just doesn’t make any sense.”

“No, it doesn’t,” Gel responded quietly, laying a hand on Alexander’s shoulder in a show of solidarity and support. “But I have every faith that Captain Kersare and her crew will do everything they can to get to the bottom of this.” Personally, Gel wasn’t really sure what to make of the entire thing. Nearly everyone seemed to like Janor, and heaven only knew that Janor seemed to like everyone in turn. But for a young man in his prime to suddenly die right before their eyes… It was unthinkable, not to mention suspicious.

“Alexander, you knew Janor best out of all of us,” Gel said, rising to his feet as he spoke. He tended to pace when he was deep in thought or trying to puzzle something out, and now was no exception. “Did you know of any health problems? Did Janor have a weak heart, perhaps, or some childhood illness, or—”

Alexander cut him off before he could finish. “No,” he said with absolute finality. “Nothing. And you can check his medical records if you’d like to see for yourself. The young idiot recently found time to run a marathon on Earth, just because he wanted to, and I quote, ‘See what it was all about.’ I’m telling you, Janor was as healthy as a horse, and that Vulcan doctor will see as much when he performs the autopsy.”

Mentally storing all that Alexander had just told him, Gel stopped for a moment and nodded. “As I said, the crew of the Malinche will get to the bottom of this, Alexander. I’m sure of it.” Giving Alexander a quick but intent look, he added in a quieter voice, “Are you going to be all right, Alex? I know that you and Janor were good friends.”

Alexander visibly drew himself up at that. “Now, now, Dr. Mellix, there’s no need for you to try any of your Betazoid mumbo-jumbo on me. Anyone with eyes can see that I’m alarmed at Janor’s death. But, yes, in a word, I will be all right. I’ve seen death in my life, and I will surely see it again. It’s the nature of our business, isn’t it? And besides,” he sighed, as bone-weary as Gel had ever seen him, “With time will come answers, and with answers comes healing. This much I know. Now, Darius—he’s the one you should worry about.”

Although Gel suspected that this was all some sort of deflection on Alexander’s part—the man was clearly devastated by Janor’s death and still coming to terms with his emotions—he also knew that there was truth in what the human was saying. Darius had been silent as the grave following Janor’s death in the ship’s lounge, and Gel could easily sense that his fellow Betazoid was taking the Trill’s death rather hard.

“I tried to stop by his quarters,” Gel murmured, shaking his head. “There was no response, though I’m sure he was there. Poor Darius. The man’s seen enough death in his life. His family… didn’t fare so well in the Occupation of Betazed. Every time he loses a patient or a friend, you’d think that he’s lost a family member all over again.” Moving back towards the couch where Alexander was seated, Gel shuffled his hand through his hair. “Maybe I’ll ask Nora to speak with him. She’s an experienced counselor, and the two of them seemed to hit it off well enough. Perhaps he’ll be more willing to speak with her. It can’t be healthy for the man to close himself off like this.”

Alexander, only partially following Gel, nodded weakly. “That might be for the best.” Looking down at his glass of Scotch as if seeing it for the first time, he stared at it for a moment before finally taking a sip. “He’ll come around again. We all will. In the meantime, I hope that you’re right about the crew of this ship, because I don’t believe for a moment that Janor died of natural causes. Something strange is going on, and someone had damn well better get to the bottom of it.”

Glancing over at Alexander, Gel had no immediate response to that. A man was dead, and he only hoped that, true to his conviction, they’d all know exactly what had happened within the next few days. It was the only thing that could give any of them comfort in the wake of this tragedy.

OFF:

Dr. Gel Mellix (PNPC)
Neurosurgeon

and

Doctor Alexander Hansen (NPC)
Neurologist

played by:
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:36 am

ON: <<Kersare's quarters, Day 2, 2230>>

Sitting on the couch in her quarters, Isabel stared out the viewport into the vastness of space beyond her ship. A cup of chai tea sat on the coffee table, no longer warm. The events of the evening deeply disturbed her for numerous reasons and she simply couldn't quiet the thoughts racing through her mind.

She had briefly spoken with Derek (PNPC) a few hours ago; he had been assigned to guard one of the doctors and had the evening shift. If there truly was a murderer on board, she doubted that a few security guards would be able to prevent another killing, but regardless it was a precaution that made sense. Isabel had a feeling that Aaron was probably blaming himself for what happened, in part...Janor (NPC) had died in front of the entire senior staff at dinner.

Still, they had no proof that it was actually murder. Setak had asked her to meet him at Aaron's office so he could explain the autopsy findings. As everyone had expected, Janor had been in great health. So far, there was no sign of foul play. Scans for toxins had turned up negative. Everything pointed to a natural death.

Isabel could tell, though, that Setak didn't believe it was. He had explained that he'd asked the LMH to run additional scans and the doctor's demeanor said it all, in her mind. He was troubled by the young Trill's death...as they all were. In the end, she had asked him to keep both herself and Aaron updated if anything new was found...and asked him to run some tests on the food from dinner.

Hopefully Alister would be able to come up with more information on their guests' pasts as well. Assuming that Janor was murdered, Isabel had a difficult time believing that someone from her crew would have killed him. At least not the ones she knew. Of course, Alister and Aurora were both new senior officers...Isabel didn't know them as well. However, she had asked Aaron to look into all of the new arrivals, just in case.

In the morning, she would touch base with Aurora about setting up a re-creation of the crime scene in a holodeck. And perhaps she would pay Karyn a visit to get her insights... For now, though, there was little more she could do until they had more answers.

Her eyes moved to the now cold chai tea and she frowned. So much for having some tea to help relax. Reluctantly getting up from the couch, Isabel made her way over to her desk. Perhaps music and some additional research of her own would at least help her feel productive...

OFF: Tag all - I've referenced most of you in here and some I've PM'd to give you additional ideas. Also feel free to check the Mission Discussion thread
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:43 pm

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Darius Xerx’s Quarters, Day 3, 1030>>

In the corridor outside of Dr. Xerx’s (NPC) quarters, Nora shifted somewhat uneasily. She’d been there for rather a long time now, pressing the doorchime several times with no success. She was almost positive that Darius was inside, despite the decided lack of response thus far. The last anyone had seen of him was the night before, after the initial questioning in the Lounge had been completed and all the doctors had been allowed to return to their quarters. If Gel and Dr. Hansen were to be believed, Darius had taken Janor’s death particularly hard. His conspicuous absence this morning, with all the other guests at least attempting to get back to some sense of normalcy, seemed to speak to that fact.

Smiling faintly at a crewmember passing by, Nora considered her options. She could spend the morning pressing the doorchime if she wanted, but she already knew that would do no good. She could walk away and try again later, but her worry for Darius immediately overrode that impulse. That left only one option. Taking a step closer, so that her nose was all but pressed up against the door, she glanced around her quickly before speaking loudly enough so that maybe, just maybe Darius would hear her.

“Dr. Xerx, are you there? It’s Nora Zeral.” Of course there was no response. Nora wasn’t even sure that he would hear her, no matter how loudly she shouted, thanks to the wonders of modern technology and starship design. Nevertheless, she pressed on. “If you can hear me, Dr. Xerx, you’d best make yourself presentable. I’m coming in now.” Having at least stated her intentions, for all the good that likely would do, Nora then promptly used her authority as ship’s XO to manually override the door and stepped inside.

There was no sign of the doctor in the living area of the guest quarters, but a few steps toward the open doorway of the bedroom revealed that he was indeed there. He sat on the edge of the bed with his back to Nora, his posture rigidly straight and his hands lying perfectly still in his lap. His bed was very neatly made, leaving Nora to wonder whether or not he’d actually slept in it at all.

Taking a cautious step into the room, Nora spoke softly yet loudly enough that he should have been able to hear her. “Dr. Xerx? Darius?” Her concern grew at his lack of response. Deciding to try a slightly different approach, Nora instinctively reached out to him telepathically. Darius, can you hear me?

That, to Nora’s great relief, seemed to do the trick. Though he still had hardly moved, just enough to turn his head ever so slightly towards her, he did at least respond. Hello, Commander Zeral.

Nora would take what she could get, and happily, considering the situation. Moving carefully around the bed, she came to stand before the doctor. Call me Nora, please. And forgive me for intruding like this. I would never have presumed to invite myself inside if I didn’t think I had good reason, she explained gently.

“I’m the one who should apologize,” Darius said, apparently preferring to speak aloud rather than rely solely on telepathy. “I heard the doorchime, but I…” He looked away for a moment, black eyes unfocused, obviously unsure of how to continue. Returning his gaze back to Nora, he attempted a reassuring smile. It was, despite his best intentions, a miserable failure. Nora couldn’t look past the dark shadows underneath his eyes, not to mention the all too clear bleakness that made his already tired eyes appear lifeless and dull. “I’m sorry to have made you worry like this. That was unforgivable of me.”

“There’s nothing to forgive,” Nora was quick to assure him. “It is true that your friends are worried for you, though. We all are.” Darting a quick glance around the small room, she asked, “When was the last time you left this room, Darius?”

Darius chuckled humorously. “It’s hard to tell. I couldn’t sleep a wink last night, considering… Well, considering. But I suppose you’re going to tell me that now is as good a time as any to leave the room, and I will not disagree with you there.” After rising smoothly to his feet, the doctor gave Nora a small smile that looked much less forced than his previous attempt. Were it not for the near bleakness she could still readily sense in him, she could almost believe that he was already much recovered.

Nora led the way back into the living area, and by some unspoken agreement they each seated themselves there. “Would you like to talk about it?” Nora asked without preamble. “I think, if you’ll forgive me for being presumptuous, it might help.” At his vague nod, the former counselor gently forged ahead. “Did you know Janor well?”

“No,” Darius said. “I only met him the other day. Alexander introduced me to him.” After carding his fingers through his dark hair, he turned to Nora with a frank look on his face. “But it’s the injustice of it all that’s killing me, Commander. Janor was so young, so full of life. He was ready to take the quadrant by storm, change it, mold it, help it. And now he never will. Whatever good he might have done—and I do believe he had the potential to do an awful lot of good—it’s all finished now, before it had even really begun.”

A slight frown creasing her forehead, Nora asked carefully, “Do you suspect foul play, then?” The incident, for lack of a better term, was being looked into carefully under Isabel’s watchful eye, but Nora herself was hesitant to label it as anything more than an untimely tragedy without any evidence to the contrary. That didn’t mean, however, that she hadn’t heard some conspiracy theories already floating around the ship. It seemed that more than one of them had originated with the doctors themselves, Dr. Hansen being by far the most vocal.

Darius was quiet for a moment before answering. “I wouldn’t be surprised if there were theories. I simply meant that I do not feel it was Janor’s time to go. He had a bright future ahead of him, and he deserved a chance to lead a full life.” The doctor sighed heavily, his fingers tapping a restless rhythm on the sofa, as if anxious for something to do. “The gods only know I’ve seen more than enough lives cut tragically short in my line of work. Despite the best medical care, some patients just can’t be saved. And then…”

The look on his face and his vividly broadcast emotions betrayed his hesitation to Nora, and she could tell that he wanted to speak on a subject that was painful to him. Giving her fellow Betazoid a small smile of warm encouragement, she quietly queried, “Yes?”

Darius’ eyes, suddenly sharp and intent, flew to Nora’s. She had the distinct impression that he was searching for something there, testing her, perhaps, or simply deciding if she was someone he could truly talk to. It was a trifle overwhelming, that look, and the former counselor knew a troubled soul when she saw one. She did not flinch or look away, though the temptation was there to do both, and within mere moments, his eyes shifted again, softening even more than before. If she didn’t know any better, she would have sworn that she had just been found worthy of his trust.

“Were you on Betazed during the Occupation, Nora? You can’t be very much younger than me. I presume, at least, that your family lived on Betazed.”

“I was born and raised on Arandel,” Nora confirmed, “but no, I was not there at the time of the Occupation.” That in and of itself was a mixed blessing in her experience. Though she would always be grateful that she and her family had not witnessed the devastation of that horrid event, she’d always felt an inescapable thread of guilt for having walked away almost entirely unscathed when so many others, friends and distant relatives included, had not.

“You berate yourself for that,” Darius said perceptively. But then, when two Betazoids sat down together, there were little secrets between them. It was against their nature. “You shouldn’t, you know. I’m glad that you weren’t there. It explains that peculiar purity I can sense in you. Whatever tragedies you’ve experienced, your soul is largely untouched by them. That is a very beautiful and inspiring thing to see. It almost gives one hope, really.”

Nora wasn’t entirely certain how to respond to that, so she simply smiled. “Gel has mentioned that you were there during the Occupation.” As far as she knew, they had at least been acquaintances then, even before they’d worked together at Gel’s practice on Betazed.

“Oh, yes. I was there,” Darius said simply. “And, as you see, I survived it. My parents, sisters, grandparents, and uncle, not to mention any number of friends, however…did not.” Though he spoke matter-of-factly, Nora could sense the wealth of pain that accompanied those words. It was a terrible revelation, although, sadly, not an entirely unique story. Many Betazoids had lost family members in the Occupation. But Darius, it seemed, had lost nearly everyone.

“Suffice to say, then,” Darius went on, “I have seen more than enough death in my life. That is why I have dedicated myself to saving lives through my work, or at least doing what I must to prevent others from suffering unnecessarily.”

Nora smiled, even as her heart ached for the man before her. “A very noble calling, indeed. And surely the universe is a better place for it. Not everyone in your shoes faces such terrible loss the way that you have. Rather than despise the world, you’ve chosen to give back, and that, if you ask me, is truly remarkable.” Darius appeared doubtful for a moment but eventually nodded in acknowledgement.

Sensing the need for a change in topic, Nora quietly cleared her throat. “You have been missed by your fellow doctors today, many of whom are gathered in the makeshift lab. Perhaps, if I may be so bold to suggest, you should try to make an appearance there. They are all facing Janor’s loss as best as they can. I think it might help you to spend some time with your friends, if only for a time. You could also speak with Dr. Dallas, if you like. She’s a wonderful counselor, and I know she’d be happy to help.”

Darius nodded, taking a deep breath. Although he didn’t look completely convinced, Nora could tell that he was at least considering her suggestions. “Perhaps, after I’ve rested for a little while longer, I’ll go and find Gel and Dr. Hansen. It will be good to be with friends, I think.”

Nora couldn’t agree more. “I think that’s an excellent idea. In the meantime, if there’s anything you need of me, you have only to ask. At the very least, I’d be happy to lend a listening ear at any time and for any reason. I’m told I have a knack for that,” she chuckled, half-teasing.

“You are, in fact, a very good listener,” Darius agreed thoughtfully. “And more than that, you are, if I may say so, remarkably kind. You’ve helped calm my thoughts somewhat, and for that, I sincerely thank you.” Giving Nora a hint of that debonair smile she’d seen him sporting before Janor’s death, Darius continued, “Gel’s a lucky man to have found you, and I’ll consider myself fortunate to have you a for a friend in the future.”

“You can have me for a friend now,” Nora said gamely. “And I do hope to see more of you about the ship before we arrive at Betazed. And later besides, if and when Gel and I do get married. You can tell me all the embarrassing stories you have about him.”

At long last, Darius gave an honest laugh. “Now that I would be truly delighted to do. Gel could use some good old… What is the human term for it? Roasting, I believe. It would be a pleasure to bring his vaunted self down a peg or two,” he chuckled.

“Excellent,” Nora grinned. “When next he sees you, he can try to talk you out of it. Don’t give in though,” she teasingly admonished. “I feel I have a right to hear every mortifying story you have about my fiancé.” Satisfied at the conclusion of their conversation, Nora stood to go. “In the meantime, don’t forget: if you need anything, anything at all, please don’t hesitate to ask.”

Darius, having risen at the same time as Nora, escorted her to the door. “Of course, Nora. And thank you again for coming by. The kindness of your gesture won’t soon be forgotten.”

Once back in the corridor outside Darius’ quarters, Nora breathed a sigh of relief. Successfully managing to speak with Darius had been a lone bright spot in an increasingly somber day. Even though she could already feel a headache coming on, Nora knew that there was much more to be done before the day was through. Mentally buoying herself up, she struck off down the corridor to see where else she could be of help.

OFF:

Doctor Darius Xerx (NPC)
Neurologist

played by Cmdr Zeral

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

McKeon
Senior Staff

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 pm

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Intelligence Office, Day 3, 1045>>

Alister leaned back in his chair as he looked at the monitor on his desk, he turned to the carafe on the corner of his desk and refilled his coffee mug. “Chief can you come here for a minute,” he asked opening up an intercom on his desk. His office door opened and the Chief stepped in sitting down in front of his desk. “It’s time we start digging a little more, start questioning the doctors themselves see if we can’t get anyone to slip up.”

“You think it’s one of the Doctors,” the Chief said lifting an eyebrow.

“I don’t know anyone else that would be capable of killing a man without leaving an obvious sign. However I want it obvious we’re bringing in the doctors, see if we can’t spook someone into moving or giving up something,” Alister said taking a sip of his coffee.

“Alright, I’m assuming you want it obvious it’s Starfleet Intelligence doing the grabbing,” the Chief asked nodding his head in agreement with the suggestion.

“Of course, we’ll start with the obvious suspect Doctor Delia Banks since she wasn’t at the dinner. Take two of the operatives and make it look good. I want her thinking of all the evil things Starfleet Intelligence have been rumoured to do,” Alister smiled slightly, “I’m afraid I am going to have to reprimand you in front of the good doctor, try and get her into a more agreeable mood to cooperate.”

“You don’t think it’s Dr Banks,” the Chief asked standing up.

“No, anyone smart enough to leave a trace our CMO can’t find, isn’t stupid enough to point such and obvious finger at themselves,” Alister said shaking his head, “Besides, I’ve heard back from some of my contacts at Starfleet Medical nothing is standing out that would turn our good doctor into a killer.”

“Of course, sir, I’ll grab two of the boys and get moving.” The Chief paused before exiting, “And if I run into one of the senior officers?”

“Send them to me, I will deal with any official issues that might arise,” Alister said firmly. “Carry on Chief,” he added returning his attention to an incoming message.

OFF:
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:38 am

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Mess Hall, Day 3, 1250>>

The morning had trickled away at a rapid pace. After meeting with Dr. Xerx (NPC) for a time, Nora had stopped by the temporary lab set up for the visiting doctors. Unsurprisingly, the only doctor there had been Delia Banks (NPC), and she hadn’t been much in the mood to talk. She was a strange creature, Dr. Banks. It was clear that her research consumed her, to such a degree that she had no time for small talk, no time for her colleagues, not even any time to mourn a colleague’s death.

While the investigation into Dr. Keel’s death was still ongoing, Nora decided to meet Gel for a quick lunch at the Mess Hall before returning to her office again. The headache she’d been fighting all morning had finally begun to ease somewhat, though it was still there, just on the fringes of her mind, so to speak. Summoning a smile to great her fiancé, it turned into one of greater delight when she saw that Gel was not alone. At his table sat Dr. Hansen (NPC) and Darius as well, and they all rose to their feet like gentlemen at her approach.

Nora almost laughed at the gesture, and would have, except that her headache had suddenly flared to life again. Such terrible timing, that. “At ease, gentlemen,” she said softly, taking the chair beside Gel. “I feel a bit like I’m interrupting some sort of boys only club.”

Beneath the table, Gel took her hand, squeezing it gently. “Nothing like that,” he assured her with a chuckle. “I happened to run into these two in the corridor and thought that they might like to join us for lunch. I didn’t think you’d mind.”

“Originally, we were all going to meet and share the progress of our research in a special lunch at the Lounge,” Alexander explained, a shadow crossing his eyes. “But in light of the… Well,” he cleared his throat, “Suffice to say, none of us doctors feel much like going to the Lounge now, even if they’d let us. Still an active crime scene, I shouldn’t wonder.”

Nora nodded sympathetically. It would be some time before she could look at the Lounge the same again too. “Well, if you’re as hungry as I am, there’s no need to be shy. I take it that everyone knows their way around a mess hall?” As the group concurred, they all rose to join the lines at the various replicators.

Nora and Gel naturally paired off together, winding up in a different line than Darius and Alexander. It wasn’t until Gel spoke that she realized he had separated them from the other two intentionally. “I’m relieved to see Darius out and about, finally,” he said, sotto voce. “Whatever you said to him must have helped. He seems a little less bleak than before, anyways.”

“He feels deeply,” Nora replied in a similarly quiet tone. “But he’ll be all right. Janor’s death was shocking for everyone, but it seems that Darius and Dr. Hansen have taken it the hardest.” She stepped up to the replicator to place her order.

“Alexander saw Janor as both a friend and protégé. I didn’t think that Darius and Janor were very well acquainted, but Darius always did take things to heart,” Gel murmured before placing his own order. “Well, we can talk more about it later. Just…thank you. For trying to help.”

Nora was touched by the sincerity of his gratitude. They were still getting to know each other in many ways, but so far, Gel had a number of qualities that she truly admired, and she was all but delighted each time she came across a new one. Her colleagues in the field of psychology might call this stage of their relationship a “honeymoon phase,” but Nora had to admit that she was still thoroughly enjoying it.

With their lunches claimed, Nora and Gel rejoined Alexander and Darius at their table to tuck into the fare. While all four did their best to make their lunch a companionable one, Dr. Keel’s death cast a pall over the group. Darius, though much less subdued than the last time Nora had seen him, joined in the conversation only sparingly, while Alexander couldn’t seem to stray from the topic of Janor’s death for very long.

“Thank goodness for the efficiency of Starfleet,” Gel said after one of Alexander’s longwinded remarks on the ongoing investigation. “I’m sure that we can count on Captain Kersare and her officers to get to the bottom of things, Alex. Until we learn more from them, though, I don’t know that there’s much more we can do.”

His food largely untouched, Alexander threw his hands into the air in a gesture that conveyed his sense of helplessness. “I’d like to believe that you’re right. But this is… The entire situation is frankly rotten. No offense intended, of course, Commander,” he added hastily, looking to Nora. “It’s not the abilities of you or your fellow crewmembers that I doubt. It’s the limitations of a starship that I fear. With so many people aboard, and with so little time before we arrive on Betazed, I can’t help but fear that the investigation will be rushed or will simply be set aside once more important, starship-related matters arise.”

Nora sympathized with the man, easily sensing his frustrated, confused, and even bleak emotions. “Perhaps I can help set some of your concerns to rest, Doctor,” she offered with a gentle smile. “I can certainly assure you that nothing is more important to Captain Kersare, me, or the rest of the crew involved in the investigation than making a full and complete inquiry into Janor’s death. This is no small matter to us, Dr. Hansen, and we won’t easily give up on seeking out the truth, no matter what limitations might be placed on us.”

From across the table, Darius caught Nora’s eye. He nodded once, the barest semblance of a smile on his lips. “I for one am glad that we have an obviously competent and efficient team of experts ready at hand to make such an inquiry into Janor’s death,” the Betazoid said, his words sober but earnest. “It is some comfort to see that the incident wasn’t simply glossed over in the first place. Trust me when I say that not every starship crew would react the same.”

“Yes, yes,” Alexander quietly agreed, nodding. “I don’t wish to appear ungrateful. It’s just…difficult, is all. Janor was a good man. He deserved better than this. I looked forward to seeing his inevitable meteoric rise to fame within our field. That Trill was surely going to knock the neurological world on its head with some of his research,” he sighed, looking tired and distracted.

Nora wanted to respond with some sympathetic words, yet the pain in her head had only increased over the course of the meal and by now had reached a near fever pitch. Carefully setting her fork down, she tried to keep her head perfectly steady, afraid that even the smallest motion might make the headache even worse. She was ready to make a quiet and apologetic exit to lie down in her quarters for a bit when Alexander suddenly looked at her with mild alarm.

“Commander, your nose is bleeding,” he said, simultaneously reaching across the table to offer her an old-fashioned cloth handkerchief. “And you’ve gone rather pale. Are you feeling all right?”

Nora gingerly brought her fingers to her face, at first feeling more puzzled than anything when she felt the telltale liquid on her fingertips. “Oh dear,” she said quietly, suddenly more than a little mortified to be experiencing a nosebleed before new friends, and during a meal, no less. Darius, she noted distantly, looked especially horrified at her unwitting display.

“Well now I’ve really gone and ruined everyone’s lunch. I hope you’ll all excuse me,” Nora said, aiming for some levity even as she carefully but hastily from her seat with Alexander’s handkerchief pressed to her nose.

Gel also rose from his chair, instantly moving to her side. “Nora, are you sure you’re all right?” he said, his furrowed brow evidence of his concern. “You’re in the company of three neurologists. I’m sure that with our powers combined, we could help you if you’re not feeling well.”

Nora couldn’t think of anything more embarrassing than that. “It’s just a bit of a headache, Gel,” she said quietly. “I’ve had one all morning, and I guess I’ve been ignoring it too long. I think I’d prefer to make as quiet and graceful an exit as possible, if you don’t mind.” Her attempted smile turned into a wince thanks to the resounding pain that seemed to be beating at the back of her head. “I’ll just go and see Setak in Sickbay. I’m sure he can give me something to help.”

Though Gel still didn’t look convinced, he nodded. “In that case, I’m coming with you.” When Nora was prepared to protest, he placed his hand on her elbow and gently propelled her forward, obviously brooking no argument. “You look white as a ghost, Nora. I just want to make sure you get to Sickbay in one piece. Besides, most women would kill for a dashing escort like me on her arm,” he added in an undertone.

Under any other circumstances, Nora would have laughed at his sudden attempt at humor. But with her head still pounding and her nose still bleeding, she settled for a quiet huff. “Just get me to Sickbay, noble escort,” she said, and together they made straight for the turbolift.

OFF:

Dr. Gel Mellix (PNPC)
Neurosurgeon

Doctor Alexander Hansen (NPC)
Neurologist

Doctor Darius Xerx (NPC)
Neurologist

(all played by Cmdr Zeral)

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

McKeon
Senior Staff

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:48 pm

ON:

<<Neuro Lab, Day 3, 1000>>

Chief Harkness glanced to either side of the door and noted the appearance of the two operatives on either side, both rested a hand on the holstered phaser at their hip. A look back at the door and he reached over not bothering with the chime, instead entering an override code. He stepped into the door flanked by the two operatives, he swept an icy glare across the assembled doctors making sure to make eye contact as if trying to measure what was in their souls. Slowly and ignoring the few questions thrown his way he locked eyes with Doctor Delia, "You will come with us."

Delia (NPC) was not particularly surprised that the StarFleet officer wanted her to come with him; in fact, she had expected it. Surely everyone was being questioned - particularly those who were guests or at the dinner. Though she wasn't there, she was not a member of the crew and thus, suspect. Regardless, she wasn't inclined to go easily. Throwing him a disapproving glance, she replied, "Can't you see I'm in the middle of experiments? They require precise actions at precise moments, not to mention close observation. I need to finish them."

"Either you can shut down the experiments, or these two gentlemen will do it for you," Chief Harkness said motioning for the two operatives to enter and quietly flank the doctor, "The choice in the matter is yours, but you are coming with us." His voice hardened at the last statement, "If need be I will have you frog marched to the Intelligence Office."

Why had she ever agreed to a StarFleet ship as transport to the conference? The insulting man before her seemed to be determined to undermine her in front of her colleagues and for that he would pay, in one way or another. Delia's eyes narrowed, "Fine, I'll put the experiments on hold for now, but you and your goons had better keep your hands to yourselves. I'll be reporting your actions to your superiors and if I feel the mistreatment is severe enough, I'll address your actions with StarFleet itself. Regardless of what's happened, I still have rights and I'm still a guest aboard this ship." With that she turned back to her experiment and began the process of carefully putting it on hold, gritting her teeth. Once she was finished, she turned back to the insufferable man and waited.

The Chief watched her closely as she started to put them on hold, if she showed any signs of delay he wouldn't have hesitated to have her removed. "Follow me," he said finally not bothered in the least by her threats. He turned and headed out the door, the two operatives following behind her and making sure she would keep up. He moved through the ship and finally stopped at the doors to the Intelligence Office; he opened them and motioned the Doctor inside, as all work stopped and eyes followed the Doctor carefully observing her mannerisms and actions. "Through that door you are expected," he said pointing to Alister's office door.

Having remained silent on her escorted trip to the Intelligence office, Delia saw no reason to break her silence now that eyes were upon her. Surely it was a tactic to unnerve her. With a glance back at the Chief, she simply headed towards the Chief Intelligence Officer's door and, after a brief hesitation to allow the doors to open, stepped inside.

Alister looked up as the door opened and smiled a friendly smile toward the Doctor, a member from the ship's Security office already sitting in a chair moved to the side of his desk, "Welcome Doctor, I'm so glad you could join us," he said standing up and moving to the chair in front of his desk pulling it out for her, "Please have a seat, this won't take up much of your time."

Despite the Intelligence Officer's apparently warm greeting, Delia was immediately suspicious. Either those who came to retrieve her were just jerks or they were being overly difficult to help butter her up to this man. Well fine, she'd play his little game for now. Delia offered a genuine smile as she sat, "Thank you, officer. I'll be glad to get back to my experiments...I have a lot to accomplish before we arrive at Betazed."

"Lt Alister McKeon," he said introducing himself as he moved to place a glass of water in front of Delia, "Can I get you anything else to drink, I have a wide selection?"

"How about a glass of raspberry lemonade?" Delia asked. As he went to get it, her eyes moved around the room, taking it in. If she recalled correctly, he had just come aboard when she and the other neurologists had, but his office seemed to be in order already.

He slid back into his seat after getting her something else to drink if required and studied the Doctor before picking up the PADD in front of him, "I'm sure you have some idea of why you're here?"

Delia nodded slowly as she took a sip of her drink, "I presume that a number of people are being questioned regarding Doctor Keel's death." Her eyes moved to the security officer, who seemed to be staying quiet for the time being.

"Correct," Alister said nodding his head as he focused his attention on the PADD, "I would like to go over a few things with you first to make sure we have everything in order about your movements and whereabouts the night of the incident. May I ask why you did not attend the welcome aboard dinner hosted by the Captain?"

His questions weren't entirely unexpected, but Delia still didn't like them. Internally, she reminded herself she needed to try to be pleasant and not defensive. "I was working in the lab during the dinner and returned to my quarters around 1945 hours," she answered simply.

"May I ask why you decided to continue to work rather than attend dinner," Alister asked making notes on his PADD, "You were able to place the experiments on hold easily enough when the Chief came to get you, surely you could have placed them on hold to attend the dinner. Being a former Starfleet Officer yourself you had to have understood the purpose behind the invite."

Looking over at him, Delia pursed her lips slightly, "Actually the Chief forced me to put the experiments on hold, and it will likely ruin my findings. Stopping my work, which was already delayed I might add, is always a risk, particularly at certain points. Last night was no exception. Besides that, I'm not exactly a social butterfly. I prefer my solitude and to work in peace. With everyone else at the dinner, I was able to concentrate on my work."

"I understand the first antibiotics on Earth where created by a mistake in a lab," Alister said looking back down at his PADD, "What was your relationship with the deceased?"

Delia frowned slightly at Alister at his comment regarding antibiotics, but said nothing. To his question, she replied, "He was a colleague. I didn't have any issues with him, really. He was one of the more tolerable neurologists in our group." A bit too friendly and helpful in her opinion, but at least he didn't fight with the others and cause scenes.

Alister nodded and entered information on his PADD, "Do you have any questions for the Doctor," he asked turning to the Security Officer.

Glancing over at the Intelligence Chief, Sirak (NPC) paused to collect her thoughts. Turning her attention to Delia, the Vulcan asked, "Do you know anyone who did have a problem with Doctor Keel, Doctor Banks?" Although based on other interviews and information regarding Janor, SIrak felt she knew the answer, she wanted to hear Delia's thoughts.

"No, Lieutenant. He was well liked, overall. Doctor Keel is probably the last person I would expect to get murdered..." Based on the questions she'd been asked, Delia could tell they didn't believe his death was an accident, but she couldn't think of any reason for someone to murder him.

"I see," Sirak replied thoughtfully. "You said he was one of the more tolerable in the group...are there others you had an issue with?"

Delia frowned at the question. After several moments of silence she answered, "Most of the others aren't exactly fond of me. I'm very particular and prefer to concentrate on my work....and to work alone. Doctors Azek and Brun are, understandably, not exactly friends. Most of the time they're arguing and make it difficult to concentrate. For the most part, the others were respectful of my desire for a peaceful work environment."

Alister made a few more notes in his PADD, "Any specific arguments that you can remember," he asked slightly interested in anything he might be able to use or help track Brun.

Shrugging, Delia angled herself slightly more towards Alister to answer his question, "Not in particular. Most of what I heard was just trivial arguing...one would setup equipment too close to the other one, one would suspect the other of tainting results, little things. I presume that their species has something to do with the animosity, but I was never inclined to dig deeper than that."

"Very well, Miss Sirak do you have any other questions for the Doctor or should I have the Chief escort her back to the lab," Alister asked shutting down his PADD and turning to look at the Vulcan.

"I have no other questions for Doctor Banks at this time," Sirak responded, after a glance towards Delia. The doctor had already answered the most important questions, in her mind. And there were some potential other leads to follow up on.

Nodding his head Alister tapped a command on his keyboard and the Chief reentered, "Chief please escort the Dr. Banks back to the lab."

"Yes, sir," the Chief replied stepping to the side and motioning Delia toward the outer office, "After you ma'am."

Delia stood and, after one last glance at the Vulcan woman, turned and headed out the door. At least she could get back to her work. Of course, she was now distracted... It seemed that security, or at least Intel, suspected foul play in Janor's death. She frowned; apparently she would have to a pay a bit closer attention to her colleagues.

Alister turned to look at the Vulcan Security Officer, "Thank you for your assistance, I think it's time to see if our little show made anyone nervous enough to slip up."

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Dr. Delia Banks (NPC)
Neurologist
played by: Captain Kersare

and

Lieutenant JG Sirak (NPC)
Security Investigations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
played by: Captain Kersare

and
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Ryse
Crewmember

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:25 pm

OFF: Just a backpost ladies and gentlemen! Happy to be back!

ON:
<<USS Malinche-A>>
<Holodeck, 0800, Day 1>

Ryse entered the holodeck, happy to have finally gotten all his stuff onboard the Malinche. Nothing had been misplaced or damaged in the move, which was surprising given the fact that everyone had warned him about how much that kind of stuff could happen even in the 24th century.

"Computer, run program Ryse 2A."

The grid around him shimmered and transformed into a stone courtyard. A blazing hot sun shown down on the courtyard. He wore a dark green leather jacket and hood, a quiver, athletic pants, a shooting glove and armguard, and combat boots. He shrugged off the quiver and jacket before putting the quiver back on, leaving him shirtless. The kinetic bow he held in his left hand was more than capable of launching standard projectiles as well. He took a deep breath and let it out before commanding the computer to start the actual program.

"Begin combat training."

Figures rippled into existence around the courtyard, including some atop the towering vertical steps. They were mostly humanoid, although a few Yang Zutal were mixed in with the bunch. Two Klingons charged toward him; resulting in both being drilled through the skull with arrows. Ryse spun around, unloading another arrow, striking another running Klingon through the chest.

Now the Yang Zutal had closed on him, brandishing a cruel wicked looking sword. The Yang Zutal used a jamming field to disable most ground based weaponry, resulting in most encounters being fought hand to hand. Luckily, his own bow was immune to the jamming effects, even when using its kinetic function. Ryse drew and let loose another arrow, which slammed into the Yang Zutal's skull dropping him to the courtyard ground.

"Come on," Ryse grunted, notching and firing again. Another Yang Zutal went down, a silver arrow protruding from its chest. "I thought that you guys were supposed to be great warriors or something."

By now his attackers had closed the gap enough to make hitting them with his arrows a little more tricky. Instead, Ryse closed the distance between himself and the nearest Yang Zutal in a matter of seconds, slamming his bow into to the chest of the attacking alien. His attacker let out a loud grunt and came at him with a series of slashes and stabs, all of which he parried with the bow. Ryse swept his attacker's legs out from underneath him in one fluid movement and then vaulted forward, slamming the bow down a trio of times into his face, taking him out of the fight.

He flipped forward and spun around again. The bow whistled through the air, cracking the incoming Yang Zutal upside the head with enough force to snap his neck. The much larger warrior crumpled to the ground, allowing Ryse to notch and fire another arrow that hit its next target right between the eyes. They were coming at him in waves now, not waiting for him to stand back and pick them off with his ranged weapon.

That was fine with Ryse, he needed a challenge. Leaving the second home he had ever known on Earth brought up strong memories of when he left his own home world for the first time. They weren't pleasant and since he didn't have anyone around to talk to, this would serve as the perfect distraction.

The exercise continued for the next thirty minutes, allowing Ryse to not only work on his bow skills but his hand to hand skills as well. When the program finally stopped, he was covered in sweat and thoroughly exhausted, although he felt more energized than he had in a long time.

"Computer, end program."

The courtyard disappeared, replaced by the familiar grid squares. Ryse slipped off the quiver on his back and put the jacket back on. He had it designed from one of the comic book heroes that his friend had talked about the day he left for the Malinche. Honestly, Ryse found that he actually enjoyed the ancient medium and had been up half the night before immersing himself in the old stories. He picked up the quiver and his bow and then exited the holodeck.

OFF:
Ensign Ryse Hunter of Dawn
Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:54 pm

<<USS Malinche, Sickbay, Day 3, 1330>>

By the time Nora and Gel (PNPC) arrived at Sickbay Nora’s nosebleed had nearly stopped, but her headache was still, lamentably, alive and well. Although glad that they hadn’t crossed paths with many crewmembers between the Mess Hall and Sickbay, Nora was still heartily embarrassed at becoming ill in public in the first place. At least now they were finally in Sickbay and Setak could help her, she silently reassured herself.

Trying not to hover too much despite his concern, Gel left Nora leaning against a biobed to find Dr. Setak. He hadn’t officially introduced himself to the doctor yet, but Nora had only nice things to say about him, and Gel had no reason not to trust her opinions. Striding across the room, Gel made straight for what he assumed was the Chief Medical Officer’s office. As the room had only a doorway totally sans door, Gel had no way of knocking to announce his presence, and clearing his throat did nothing to catch the attention of the distracted-looking Vulcan seated before him. Taking another step into the room, Gel couldn’t help but notice the glowing display just to Setak’s side. His dark eyes briefly scanning over what he saw there, he cleared his throat a second time before saying, “Your genome sequencing subroutines appear to be out of date.”

Setak glanced up at the figure standing in the doorway without flinching, his attention lingered on the Betazoid male for a couple seconds before Setak finally moved. With a faint smile he switched the wall terminal off and stood to meet Gel squarely, "yes, Operations assures me that the latest software will be installed as soon as possible." The Vulcan wondered how long the man had been standing there and what all he had seen, despite this he focused on keeping his mind as clear as possible as empaths unnerved him. "But you didn't come here to tell me that, what can I do for you doctor?"

Gel returned Setak’s faint smile with one of his own. The moment was strangely stilted and awkward, and it didn’t take any special sensitivity to feel it. “I don’t believe we’ve met officially. I’m Dr. Gel Mellix, Commander Zeral’s fiancé.” He didn’t want to waste any unnecessary time with pleasantries, so he proceeded directly to explain his presence. “I’m afraid that the Commander isn’t feeling very well. She has a rather bad headache as well as a nosebleed. She insisted on seeing you.” Personally, Gel felt that he could have helped her just as easily, seeing as he had a rather solid background in neurology, but he supposed that it was only natural that she would want to see the ship’s physician instead.

Setak bristled unexpectedly at Gel's introduction particularly the word 'fiancé', a reaction that took the Vulcan by surprise. He and Nora had developed a cordial working relationship, it was in large part her influence that had kept him aboard the Malinche but they were by no means intimate. Why had he reacted that way he wondered while silently cursing the betrayal of his own emotions. The thought quickly faded as Setak gathered up his medical tricorder and gestured for Gel to lead him out to the stricken officer, Nora was usually the image of health and he found a sudden bout such as this a little hard to believe. "Has Commander Zeral suffered any head trauma or come into contact with any unusual environmental agents that you know of?"

Frowning, Gel shook his head slightly. Honestly, he didn’t know for sure as he hadn’t thought to ask. He’d been worried enough about keeping her on her feet, after all, seeing as she’d gone so pale so fast. For some reason, though, he didn’t feel much like admitting his ignorance on the subject. “As far as I know, she hasn’t been doing anything out of character,” he replied honestly. “Just taking part in the investigation and meeting with some of the doctors. I had thought perhaps it was stress,” he suggested.

“Hardly that stressed,” Nora said, having overheard only the very last of Gel’s remarks as he and Setak approached them. Though she had certainly felt better in the past, she didn’t want anyone to think that she was some delicate flower who caved under a little stress. “Hello, Setak,” she added as the Vulcan came nearer, smiling at him around the handkerchief she had pressed to her nose. “I do hope you have some sort of magic elixir to help with this headache of mine.”

"If by 'magic elixir' you mean a pain inhibitor then yes," Setak replied with the best Vulcan tone he could manage. "But first let's have a look at you." A quick passing of his medical scanner revealed only what he would have expected to see, a slight irritation of the Commander’s Sinus cavities and slightly elevated blood pressure from the stress of the pain. He snapped his tricorder shut and began to prepare a hypospray, "a perfectly mundane headache I'm afraid, we can rule out alien parasites and trans dimensional plague."

Although Nora laughed softly at the Vulcan’s dry humor, wincing as she did, Gel wasn’t feeling quite so humorous. In point of fact, he was feeling somewhat peevish at the moment. “Are you sure that’s all?” he asked Setak, his brow slightly furrowed. “I was half afraid she was going to faint between here and the Mess Hall. The intensity of the headache she was experiencing coupled with the sudden nosebleed would indicate that it’s more than just a perfectly mundane headache, as you call it,” he suggested, his tone level but firm.

"I am certain that the Commander's symptoms are a result of a mundane headache, yes," Setak explained in a controlled tone. He felt the familiar roil of anger begin to rise within him but as it did he reflexively began internally reciting a mantra that Sirak had taught him. "The cause of her discomfort could have come from any number of simulators, a loud noise, a bright light, an obnoxious odor or even plain annoyance."

Under most circumstances, Gel was usually as levelheaded and even-tempered as they came. But for reasons he couldn’t quite explain, the Vulcan currently treating his fiancé was frankly getting on his nerves. “I’m quite aware of the myriad causes of headaches,” he all but drawled, one side of his mouth quirking up in a simulation of a smile. “Though I didn’t have time to introduce myself properly, I thought you already knew that I’m a neurosurgeon.” Aware that he was sounding pretentious and unable to help himself, he added, “Headaches are just the tip of the iceberg in my field, as it happens.”

"Indeed," Setak replied in agreement. He turned to Nora somewhat abruptly and clasped his hands tightly behind his back, "there's little else I can do for you Commander aside from recommending that you put yourself on light duty for the rest of the day. I don't want to see you back here under similar circumstance later!"

Having watched the brief exchange between the doctors with no little surprise, Nora felt nothing but pride for Setak and his consistently calm demeanor. If she had been faced with Gel’s somewhat alarming show of haughtiness while she was at work, she wasn’t so sure she would have responded with as much detached decorum. Ignoring Gel for the moment—and already planning on having a private chat with him after they left Sickbay—Nora gave the Vulcan a warm smile. “I feel much better already, Setak. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some magic in that hypospray you gave me after all,” she chuckled. “Thank you so much for your help.”

"Anytime Commander," Setak replied before turning back toward his colleague. "It was a pleasure finally meeting you mister Mellix, do keep an eye on the Commander."

Gel cleared his throat and nodded to Setak. “Of course,” he replied, reaching out to put his hand on Nora’s arm. She, however, was already stepping away, and the message was clear: she didn’t particularly care to have him escorting her out of Sickbay. Sensing Nora’s displeasure with him, Gel pursed his lips and hoped that Setak didn’t see it as well. “Well, until next time, Dr. Setak,” he said, then followed Nora out of Sickbay. It wasn’t until he reached the corridor that he realized Setak had called him “Mister” as opposed to “Doctor.” Half-tempted to turn around and correct the Vulcan, Gel stifled the urge instead and rolled his eyes before hurrying to catch up with his fiancé.

OFF:

A JP by:

Dr. Gel Mellix (PNPC)
Neurosurgeon
played by: Commander Zeral

and

Provisional Lieutenant Setak
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer