Posts for the USS Malinche's missions

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Re: Mission 25 - Lady of the Valley

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 pm

ON:
<<Shuttlebay, Day 2, 1030>>

Myka (PNPC) leaned casually against a stack of crates in the shuttlebay, quietly watching as a few crewmembers finished loading the runabout they were taking to the colony. The Bajoran was in civilian clothing, grey loose fitting trousers and a sapphire top with gold designs. She had a simple satchel where she was concealing her phaser as well as a few practical items for her mission. Although there were a few Bajorans in the colony, Myka had had a prosthesis attached to hide her nose ridges. All she had to do now was wait.

To that end, Quinn's own patience had worn thin. Everything felt gritty and grainy. And that grated and chafed against the seemingly slow-moving chronometer. Every sight, sound, and touch she took in, every move she made in the past few hours felt like it had a dusting sheen of sand she couldn't shake. Perhaps it was simply due to the sleepless night Elle had just had. The day before the beginning of a new assignment always wreaked havoc on her already only-tenuously-maintained sleep schedule. Thankfully, they would soon be on their way.

She thought she'd have been the first to arrive at the shuttlebay, thinking that the extra time would allow her to work some of the weird tension off via obsessive-compulsively performing, then checking and rechecking pre-flight procedures. But Myka was there already, the first to arrive. As Elle made her way to the controls of the shuttle, she nodded at Myka and began to gesture at the civilian clothing, about to compliment the "costuming" ... before stopping herself. Instead, with a finger already raised, she segued into a "zipping her mouth" motion and winked. While Elle obviously wanted nothing to go awry, she enjoyed playing a part in the skullduggery. And so, Quinn set about the standard pre-flight checks, as others continued to arrive.

Returning the pilot's nod, Myka watched the young woman quietly. Saoirse seemed a bit...frazzled, but perhaps that was simply how she prepared for a mission. Myka didn't really know her well enough to be certain. She considered offering to assist the other woman, but there was likely a method to the madness and she'd only be in the way.

Flanked by the security contingent she'd put together for the away mission, Awen (PNPC) strode purposefully into the shuttlebay. Her eyes surveyed the area, taking in who was present and what was happening. Myka was already there and gave her a brief nod as their eyes met. She had to admit she liked the Intel Chief's plan. It certainly brought her back to her days in the Resistance.

Korath was the next to enter the shuttlebay. His frame towering over the other away team members as he came to a stop next to the craft. He nodded to the security team. "Chief, have you given any thought to which side arms you will be issuing to your security teams? " the Klingon asked.

"I've already issued type II phasers and have some phaser rifles set aside, just in case there are any issues with the local wildlife or simply as a contingency," Awen answered. The type II's theoretically would be plenty for a mission to a friendly colony, but the Bajoran preferred to have the rifles and not need them rather than the reverse.

"I'd like to not give the colonists the impression of a heavily armed away team. I would suggest type 1 phasers. However it is up to your discretion for your team."

Awen nodded, "We'll keep what I've already issued. From what I read, it seems their own security teams carry type II's so it shouldn't be overly concerning for them, sir." She kept her expression and tone neutral, but she was not particularly used to being questioned about her choice of weapon for away teams. Of course, the last Executive Officer had been a Counselor, but Awen was perfectly capable of choosing appropriate gear.

Korath stifled a smirk as he gauged the Chief's response. It was after all well within her duties to assess the situation and assign the appropriate side arm compliment. He nodded approvingly. "Very good." He replied. He liked an officer that would stand their ground. In his experience far too many officers put too much stock in a commanding officers 'suggestions' He liked this one.

<Outside Main Engineering>

Derek Tournneau and Viradia Belad (PNPC) were pushing the last cargo pallet out of Main Engineering. Viradia peered around the stack of containers, ensuring that they did not pancake any fellow crewmates. Tournneau turned towards Viradia. "All right, are we sure this is it? It's a long walk back if we forget something."

"Yes, Derek, for the tenth time, this is it. This pallet has all of the isolinear circuitry, memory chips, and the core processors that we're going to need to repair the the ground station and keep them stocked until their next resupply. They took the longest to replicate, so that's why they're last."

Even with the anti-grav sled, the mass of the containers was unwieldy. Fortunately, the turbolift was just across the hall from the main doors. They crammed the sled into the lift, and stepped just inside the doors as they closed.

"Shuttlebay," Derek said.

Viradia looked over at him. "You know, I hear the planet is supposed to be quite beautiful. Lots of plant life, and even a few oceans. Maybe we can find some time to...get away for a while?" Her eyebrow arched mischievously as she finished her question.

Derek chuckled. "Well, let's make sure they have things like, oh, air-con and running water first - but that does sound promising."

<Shuttlebay>

The door to the lift hissed open, and the two engineers pushed their sled out of the hallway and onto the shuttlebay deck. Crewmembers from each department were there, finishing the Xuanantunich's preflight and loading the last containers on the shuttle. Tournneau called out to the quartermaster. "Ms. Sorenski (NPC), we've got one more load here and we're good to go."

Sorenski turned and groaned at the sight of the sled. "Oh good - more boxes! You lot are going to be sitting on them if you bring anything else, sir!"

Derek put his hands up in mock surrender. "This is the last of it, I promise. Probably. Maybe." He grabbed his personal effects from the top of the stack, and Viradia joined him as they boarded the Flyer-type shuttle. He tossed his bag in an underseat storage bin in the rear compartment. With all the cargo that was stacked in the center of the compartment, there was just enough room to walk into the ship and around the edges of the compartment where the crew benches were.

Quinn continued with the pre-flight checks on the shuttle craft, confident that her slight tweaks to instrument calibration would serve them well planetside. It still struck her as strange that, contrary to the data they had about the storm season being over, sudden spontaneous swells of charged particles continued to crop up in the atmosphere, almost in reaction to their sensor sweeps... and sometimes in anticipation of them?

Speaking of anticipation! Elle realized that in preparing for a longer stay away from the Malinche, she'd left a memento she'd brought along, left it sitting in the shuttle cargo compartment! "It" was a tiny turbolift servo-connector that Doug Kinkaid had gifted her upon his *un*-anticipated departure. That broken bit of machinery from Outpost 8013 had failed, causing the turbolift Elle was in to halt between floors. That in turn had pressed Kinkaid into post-shift repairs, which in turn caused Quinn and Kinkaid to meet. It was a bittersweet souvenir at best. And really, the more she thought about it the more Elle thought she shouldn't have brought it at all. Nonetheless, she didn't want anyone thinking the item was trash. Best to go grab it now before that happened.

As she made her way back toward the cargo compartment, she heard the shuffling sound of people boarding the shuttle. There she saw Derek and Viradia squeezing into the tight confines. Not one to let a social situation pass without making it more awkward — unintentionally, of course — Elle smiled. Having heard whispers of their romantic involvement, Elle tried her best to let the two engineers know that, not only did *she* know about them and that she was happy for the pair, but also that she was confident they'd continue to excel in their duties, while maintaining professionalism — something she briefly, wistfully recalled she'd never had the chance to even test with Kincaid before his departure.

"So, uh, kind of cramped back there, might have to sit on each other's laps, haha — I mean, not that, you know, you would *want to* or anything." Don't wink. Fortunately, she didn't. Unfortunately, Elle's mouth kept at it. "Or that you shouldn't be able to! Or that you'd not *not* want to, or couldn't help yourselves. I mean, Engineering access corridors can be a tight squeeze already is all. Close quarters and all that." Wow, stop it. "Uh... okay." Finally, Elle stopped talking.

She suddenly snatched what looked like a random bit of detritus from off of one of the crew benches. Then, after a long moment of silent fidgeting, Quinn flashed them a sheepish grin and turned away to face the flight controls.

Derek and Viradia looked at each other, both wearing the same perplexed expression with eyebrows raised. The Mali’s new flight controller was certainly verbose, but well-meaning. After Elle clambered up the ladder and into the forward compartment, they broke their silence.

“Well, what does that make, seven? Eight?” Viradia asked.

Derek sighed. People had already been dropping hints well before they started dating, and now that they had begun the crew had become especially preoccupied with the pair. “I’m not sure - although, I suppose we should expect this sort of thing for a while.”

Viradia sat down on one of the benches. “So, should I sit in your lap, or should you sit in mine?”

“Shut up,” Derek said wryly. He patted her bare head as he stepped up the ladder to follow Elle. He walked through the midsection and on to the flight deck. He strode around the rear engineering console and took his station. “So,” he said over his shoulder to Elle, “Is this your first time flying a Flyer?”

Elle quickly palmed and pocketed the small bit of scrap she'd retrieved from the cargo compartment, before turning to see if Tournneau had seen her do so. Though it didn't appear so, either way, she was relieved that the new topic at hand was one she was genuinely excited about.

"It is!" she said, with a smile. "Outside of the simulations anyway. But I'd reviewed all the specs long before that — my Dad taught starship and shuttlecraft design at the Academy. The Flyer's a great... uh, amalgam, you know? And all those conflicting design notes on the prototype! I'm inclined to agree with Mister Paris on this one — a 'Hot-Rod' is right. I hope it's as responsive in real life as its reputation. Here's hoping I won't need to push pedal to the metal."

"Ahem," Elle cleared her throat. "And... sorry about that, back there. I didn't mean anything by it — and I had *nothing* to do with that 'Romance in the Jefferies Tubes' meme-thing going around on the PADDs. Honest. And I only ever saw the one." Elle gritted her teeth, as she belatedly realized there was the distinct possibility neither Tournneau nor Lieutenant Beladd had set eyes on those.

"Uh... yeah, the Delta Flyer Type," Ell said, trying to change the subject back to safer ground she's unwittingly abandoned, "I wouldn't have minded dynametric tailfins."

Tournneau snorted derisively. “Oh, yes, the memes.” His staff thought he didn’t know, but he knew. They had been trading doctored images with stupid witticisms written in bold, capital letters across the top and bottom. The images had been kept innocuous - for the moment - but the texts were becoming increasingly suggestive.

Derek turned his seat to face the cockpit. “My favorite one so far is where I’m asking Viradia to realign my hydrospanner.”

Elle stifled a laugh, trying to keep a straight face.

“Oh, don’t worry - I know *exactly* who’s been pushing them to PADDs on the ship. Let’s just say that Fields is in for a *lot* of manifold scrubbing duty when we get back.” Derek turned back to finish his checks on the console. “In the meantime, he’s going to find his replicator can only make gagh, and his sonic shower can only play the Bee Gees; and oh no! Everyone who can fix it is planetside, gee what a shame.”

And at that, Elle burst out laughing. And it was the kind of rip-snorting laughter she'd not given herself over to in a long while.

Fields had indeed been the culprit. She herself would not have known, had the Chief not "accidentally" sent an image to everyone still lingering at the lounge after hours. Elle of course had been unable to sleep, and though she was initially uncomfortable with the "joke" being at Tournneau's expense, she was glad to have been on the inside of the joke for once, rather than locked out of it, or at best, on the outskirts. It was a relief to know Tournneau was now wise to it too.

Korath stepped within earshot at the wrong end of the conversation, hearing the last few exchanges. Momentarily setting aside wanting a status update, the thought of replicated Gagh made him cringe. "I would not inflict burnt gagh on Feklar himself. I trust the pranks will not get out of hand." The Klingon let the open ended statement linger for a moment as he checked over the reports on the colony one final time.

Derek chuckled, "Of course, Korath - nothing permanent, anyway."

Elle's posture straightened immediately, as she tried covered the ebbing laughter with a series of (unfortunately obviously fake) coughs. "Sir. Heh. Yes, sir." She cleared her throat, "And pre-flight checks are complete. On my end at least, we are good to go!"

As the others boarded the Xuanantunich, Myka, Awen, and the security team joined them. While the other security officers remained behind, the two Bajorans continued on to the flight deck. "Everyone is on board and everything is loaded as far as I'm aware," Awen confirmed.

"We should depart as soon as possible," Myka said. "If at all possible, Ensign, I would like you to give us a good flyover of the colony and then I'll need beamed down on the outskirts outside of view before you land in the designated area." It would give her a good initial feel for the current situation and might help her decide on her entrance point after being beamed down.

"Aye, sir," Elle responded, with as stern and professional an expression as she could muster.

Tournneau turned back to his console and made his final readouts. "Flight systems: RCS, impulse, warp drive are nominal...fuel intermix ratio is good...ECS is running...secondary systems are green...we are go for launch, Ensign."

Elle nodded at Tournneau, with half of a crooked, suppressed-but-still-lingering smile resurfacing. Then she turned back to her console and turned her eyes to the forward viewport, "Hang on to your hats, ladies and gentlemen. Flash holography is allowed, but try to keep your hands and feet inside the shuttle," she said, "we're takin' the scenic route!"

OFF: TBC

JP brought to you by:

Ensign Saoirse Quinn
Flight Control Officer

and

Lieutenant Commander Derek Tournneau
Chief Engineering Officer & 2XO

and

Lieutenant Viradia Beladd (PNPC)
Asst Chief Engineering Officer
played by Tournneau

and

Lieutenant Commander Korath
Executive Officer

and

Lieutenant Turren Myka (PNPC)
Chief Intelligence Officer
played by Kersare

and

Lieutenant Commander Fala Awen (PNPC)
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Quinn
Crewmember

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:49 pm

ON:
<< Torva IV | Day 2 | 1111 Hours >>

The line was luminous... iridescent. Golden sunlight lit rolling purple nebulae from within — all pressed thinly into a shimmering horizontal row of wonder, hovering above now-roiling waters, but beneath dive-bombing, suddenly furious, low-looming clouds. It was beautiful really. That must have been how it appeared to the colonists too: a promise of what awaited them... if they survived the storms. Storms like this one that had engulfed the Xuanantunich. A true tempest — though storm season was supposed to be over. Whatever this was then, it had appeared without warning, and was wreaking havoc with the shuttle's sensors. The glowing artificial horizon, created by encroaching sky and rising waters, appeared to be both a glimpse into something otherworldly, as well as a window through which something stared back out. Like a slot sliding open, in the unmarked door to a speakeasy, a slit through which wary, knowing eyes peered back at you, in appraisal and judgement.

The readings on the Xuanantunich's instrument panels had already begun fluctuating wildly, as soon as they arrived in atmosphere, let alone what nonsense they read now, on their current approach to the colony itself. And that same atmosphere appeared intermittently peppered with signs of life, signs that seemed to flit into and out of existence. Though with how temperamental the sensors were at the moment, Elle could see someone chalking up such findings to interference from environmental conditions — these mad environmental conditions. And she could see that someone being wrong.

It was no wonder that maintaining a coherent matter stream would have proven too risky, and that the recommendation to use shuttlecraft over transporters had been so strong. Still... this was what was deemed less of a risk? A dramatic death at sea, instead of one at the transporter room's quiet remove? And it was no wonder too then, that the colonists had begun telling tales of living elements, for the phenomena that descended upon the Malinche's envoy seemed so sudden, so reactive, so... purposeful. So aware.

The shuttlecraft was rocked from side-to-side, buffeted by blasts of water and wind. And Elle Quinn juked and jinked the flight controls accordingly. Sometimes even in apt anticipation, trusting hunch and intuition where the computer saw no predicable pattern. Pillars of sea surged up from below, and for a moment, became one with the clouds, before crashing down just as suddenly — only to be replaced by another pillar ahead, blocking their path anew and in new ways. Were lives not at stake, navigating such a mercurial labyrinth would have been thrilling for Elle.

However, from the planet's elements working in tandem against them, she chose to take inspiration instead. And in that, she surprised herself. Elle realized that she too needed to work in tandem with the elements — or at least the ones she knew well: the conn and the computer. Leaving the autopilot program on, despite its desired course leading them into the thick of potential disaster, Elle used its rigid insistence as a kind of compass, and chose her moments of rebellion well — forcing the shuttle to wildly veer from its desired path only in fits and spurts, and in dives and corkscrew-courses, whenever water and wind threatened destruction... before allowing the computer to "reset" their flight vectors during any all-too-fleeting moments of calm. This proved especially effective whenever up was down and cardinal directions became as murky as the waters, even to sensors. The computer's stubborn overlay of grids upon terrain that did not abide by its plan should have been a disadvantage, but Elle turned it on its head — and to her advantage. And it worked! Elle felt in sync with machine and program, in a way she thought early aviators must have felt, when everything felt right and went their way — through combination of skill, luck, and gritted teeth.

And so, darting suddenly between pillars of water that had shot up and separated from the sea below, reaching heights high enough for a Delta Flyer to maybe just squeeze through the spilit-second space created before creation came crashing down, Elle spun the shuttle to — and through — the final turn of the gauntlet! And then... suddenly they were safe — for the time being. Before yet another "routine" mission revealed itself to be anything but, she thought.

Gurgling waves finally receded behind them. The waters suddenly calmed. And they seemed to do so only begrudgingly, only after the Xuanantunich was out of its reach. Elle guided the shuttle into a wide turn and began the promised flyover. With their line of sight now clear, tall angular mesas rose to greet their gaze, reflecting the sunset's sheen of lavender and aerial fire. Stone bulwarks, gatekeepers guarding a valley carved by the river, the river feeding the ocean, the ocean that had in turn tried to feed upon the Away Team. To consume them. Yet what seemed so much at first like a... "Planet Hell" began to lift its veil to potential heavens too. Because there, visible in the distance, finally, were the first signs of settlement. Lieutenant Turren (PNPC) would have to make her departure soon, and unseen.

Realizing she'd been holding her breath, again, Elle exhaled and laughed — the latter she hoped, only to herself. "You see! Safe and sound... the scenic route."

OFF:
Ensign Saoirse "Elle" Quinn
Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:14 am

ON:
<<Torva IV, USS Xunantunich, Day 2, 1120>>

From her seat on the flight deck, Myka (PNPC) had watched silently as the ensign pilot brought them to the colony and took, as she put it, 'the scenic route'. It hadn't been the smoothest ride, but that wasn't the fault of Saoirse. The Bajoran could easily see how the planet's natural elements could stir up the colonists. The away team had already gotten quite a show and the actual storm season was over.

Myka peeked inside her satchel, reassuring herself that she had what she needed for her mission. Everything seemed to be there. If she was missing anything, she'd just have to improvise. During any kind of infiltration improvisation typically became necessary at some point, but she did like to be prepared.

"Ensign, would you please do a loop around the colony to give me a better visual of the layout and so I can settle on a spot to beam down?" Prior to leaving, Myka had looked up a few potential drop off locations, but seeing it in person would help her make her final decision. She glanced over at Awen (PNPC) and nodded; the other Bajoran probably knew as much as she did about a situation like this. Myka had trained for infiltration at the Academy and used the knowledge during her career, but Awen had used it for survival in the Resistance.

"Aye, sir," Quinn answered, adopting an air of seriousness when Myka addressed her. Elle went so far as to purse her lips and furrow her brow. There hadn't been much skullduggery that she was privy to back when she served on the New York. And so Quinn hoped to convey that she understood "undercover" Intelligence missions were delicate and that *she especially* could be trusted with matters of secrecy.

Elle aimed for a tall but narrow channel between the two towering, sheer rock faces ahead, guiding the runabout through a vertical space that had been worn into place over many years — a canyon carved slowly into the angular cliffside by the rushing river that ran through it still. Perched atop one rocky crag along this alley-like entrance was a robust Starfleet-issue weather sensor, the only sign of settlement thus far. That is... until the Xunantunich passed through the narrow canyon and into a lush, vast valley within!

The river began to snake and to wind, zigging and zagging beneath canopies of luminous flora cast in alluring shades of pale blue and crimson, violet and gold. The jungle valley seemed so verdant. So full of life that it was surprising to Elle — at least on the surface — that the colonists were experiencing such difficulties. And if this seemingly rich locale hadn't been the preferred place for the colony to plant their roots, how much better could the other choice have been? Turbines or windmill-like structures began to dot the sides of the river, as did shelters — sparse at first until they became clusters. More densely concentrated the farther Elle flew the shuttlecraft into the valley. People, still tiny at this distance, looked up as the Xunantunich passed overhead, then into a wide arc... surveying the scene.

Derek Tournneau began entering commands into his console. "Beginning hi-res scan," he announced for the flight recorder. The sensors on the hull's exterior began sweeping the settlement and gathering the data that they could not get from orbit due to the atmospheric conditions. What a strange place to settle for a colony world, Derek pondered as the computer began to generate detailed schematics of the buildings below. Surely there were other, more stable, worlds to choose from in this sector.

Once the runabout made it through the canyon, Myka moved next to Saoirse to get a better look of the surroundings as well as the more basic layout appearing on a console. Her dark eyes took in the vivid colors stretching out before them, then looked deeper, assessing her options. The jungle would certainly be beneficial; she could look for some herbs or plants and emerge from the jungle into the South Western part of the colony which had some of the dwellings.

The Bajoran watched as the various colony structures passed below them. There was some evidence of storm damage and a fair bit of flooding. It looked like the away team would have their work cut out for them with the colony's systems, if this was any indication. Hopefully it would give her time to find out more about the rumors.

Nodding as she made up her mind, Myka said, "Thank you, Ensign. If you could make another pass and this time perhaps at a third of the speed... I'd like to be dropped off here...and then you can make your way to the landing spot. If anyone asks, you were getting a closer look at sensors and turbines from above." She pointed to a particular spot on the console display — within the jungle near the river, in the vicinity of one of the turbines.

"Aye, sir," Elle said as she moved her fingers across the LCARS display, making a "seven" shaped gesture along the proper touchpoints of the control console. The Delta Flyer class craft again responded nimbly, mimicking her movements as it slowed and turned, angling back in a vector that mirrored their initial approach. Elle adjusted their course however, ever so slightly — but obviously enough to make it clear to any onlookers that the runabout was now headed toward one of the two turbines. The farthest one first, as it appeared to have suffered some damage from the storms, for even at this distance, its rotors churned more laboriously in comparison to its counterpart closer to the center of the colony proper.

Elle smiled. Just like on stage, a little overacting not only allowed the performance to reach the back row, but also to better "sell" the show and cement the illusion. "Just fly formally," she said to herself, an inversion of a well known quote from that series of films Kinkaid had been so fond of. And as the Xunantunich made its second, slower pass, Elle saw that a crowd began to gather near the center of the settlement, no doubt drawing both the troubled and the merely curious, out from even the outskirts of the colony. For a moment, Elle wondered if this had been intentional on Myka's part: divert the colonists' attention skyward, to their Starfleet allies and saviors, so as to ensure her own arrival would remain secret and that her beaming down would go unnoticed. Already Intelligence was playing at sleight of hand.

Myka smirked as she watched the colonists gather - all the easier for her to sneak in. "Excellent; very convincing. When we get to those coordinates, please beam me down, Commander," the Bajoran said, inputting the coordinates she'd selected. The spot would be out of sight from the colonists, but close enough that she would be at the edge of the colony quickly so she could either look around or immediately blend in with the crowd.

Derek T. switched his LCARS display to transport mode. The scans continued in the background, giving text-only notifications on the side. The targeting scanner showed a live visual of the ground below that Derek began to pan to and fro looking for a good spot for transport. In the corner of the readout, the computer displayed the calculations it was compensating for, such as the current vector of the shuttlecraft, the difference in gravity between the shuttle's hull plating and the planet, the planet's rotational momentum, and several other variables. Derek found a suitable clearing in the forest floor and locked the scanner to its coordinates. The molecular scanner concealed in the cabin's ceiling swept Myka's body and sent an affirmative chirp to Derek's console. "Ready for site-to-site transport, Lieutenant."

Watching Derek as he worked, she nodded, "Ready, sir. Beam me down." Myka felt her muscles tense slightly in anticipation. She adjusted the strap on her satchel and mentally prepared herself for any surprises she might encounter. They'd already scanned the area and none of the colonists would be in the immediate vicinity, but that didn't mean some of the 'local wildlife' couldn't greet her.

Derek keyed the particle lock, which engaged with its characteristic warm, glassy ring. As he swept his hand over the orange bars of the energizing coil controller, the annular confinement beam surrounded Myka, visible as several silvery threads. Swiftly, the matter and energy inside the forcefield, including the Lieutenant, was transported to the pattern buffer in a wash of sound and light. A faint draft was felt in the cabin as the air filled the volume of space that Myka had previously occupied. Derek frowned, as the phase transition coil began to drift out of alignment. "I've got a zero-point-zero-zero-three phase variance, compensating."

After adjusting the phase discriminator manually, the lock re-established and the pattern buffer allowed Derek to transmit the passenger to the surface. Derek watched on the targeting scanner as Myka emerged on the jungle floor. He confirmed that the transport was successful as he powered down the coils. "All right, she's down." Derek turned to the rest of the cabin. "That was...odd...the computer had already calculated the proper transport vector, but a small phase difference emerged right during transport. I would...not recommend we do that again with personnel unless it's an emergency." He keyed his combadge. "Turren, this is Tournneau. You make it in one piece?"

<Colony Surface>

Once she rematerialized, Myka glanced around. She was a bit closer to the edge of the jungle, but still within the clearing and as best she could tell, she was alone. Listening closely, Myka only heard what she would consider normal sounds - a river trickling in the distance, some birds, and some rustling. Hearing Derek, she tapped her concealed comm badge to reply, =A="Turren here. I arrived safely and at first glance, everything appears as it should. I'll report in when I know more and use the established communication protocols. Good luck. Turren out."=A=

<USS Xunantunich>

"Well, sounds like she didn't feel it on her end," Derek said to himself. Even though it was old hat by now, he still found transport to be both thrilling and horrifying. Being stuck in a pattern buffer for even a few seconds could be very disorienting. The console chirped at him again; this time, to notify him that the building scans were complete. "All right, Quinn, looks like the sensors have what they need."

Elle turned and smiled, relaxing more — now that Lieutenant Turren had beamed down, and that transporter use on the planet had proven safe at this distance at least. "Aye, sir," she said, guiding the Xunantunich into its final approach. Still, she couldn't shake the feeling that the jungle seemed to... *react* to their arrival, and to their impending landing. Canopies seemed to arch their luminous limbs toward the Xunantunich, spreading overlapping leaves and branches wider — narrowing safe clearance in even the widest of clearings.

Maybe she was just being paranoid. Maybe it was just the wind... and maybe *that* was the problem. Sated sensors were one thing. This might be something else altogether. "Let's just hope *we* have what the *colonists* need," Elle said.

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Flight Control Officer

and

Lieutenant Commander Derek Tournnneau

and

Lieutenant Myka Turren (PNPC)
Chief Intelligence Officer
played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

T'Koll
Senior Staff

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:31 pm

<<USS Malinche, Science Lab 2, Day 2, 1100>>

Aniela (PNPC) sat quietly at a console, reading through the research reports and colony data the science team had been working on. The others were either off duty or in Science Lab 1 or Stellar Cartography. She could have joined them, but at the moment she preferred solitude for reflection...and the Chief Science Officer's office no longer seemed appropriate.

Captain Kersare had informed her yesterday that a new Chief Science Officer would be joining the Malinche and therefore, Aniela would be going to the Operations department as Acting Chief there instead. She had done a few stints in Operations previously, but that was only on a temporary basis. Still, she was a senior officer and the Malinche was short on department heads. Now that someone qualified had been found for science, it made sense to move her to a different department. It would be a challenge and she would miss the science officers and her spatial anomalies, but she would make it work.

<Corridor>

T'koll double, then triple checked the sign to make sure he was headed in the right direction. It had been a long time since the Caitian had needed to navigate a new ship, and was quickly remembering how stressed it made him feel.

"Science Lab Two. Science Lab two..." he trailed off quietly, eyes narrowed and scanning as he muttered his thoughts under his breath before spotting Laboratory 2, and gingerly entering the room.

<Science Lab 2>

Glancing back towards the door as she heard it open, Aniela was about to speak, but paused as a Caitian she didn't recognize walked in. He was in sciences teal, a Lieutenant. Presumably he was the one taking over the Science department. "Good morning, Lieutenant, what can I do for you?"

He stood up straight and put his arms behind his back, "Ah! Lieutenant Commander Darvetti, a pleasure to meet you. Apologies I haven't found you sooner, you know how it is... starships are always a maze for the first few weeks!" He chuckled. His voice had a natural warmth to it like most Caitians, however this still failed to mask his nervousness shining through as he noticed her reading the research reports.

"I-I do hope I haven't disturbed you Ma'am, but I figured I should meet with you before the official hand over. I can come back later if that suits you better?" he backtracked, clearly wanting to make a good impression but plagued with second guesses, his tail fidgeting back and forth gently with his nerves.

Aniela cocked her head to the side slightly as she watched the Caitian while he spoke. His tail seemed to twitch slightly, perhaps from nervousness, based on his demeanor and speech. Technically he hadn't actually introduced himself to her, though it was obvious from what he said that he was in fact the new Chief Science Officer. "Nice to meet you too....Lieutenant T'Koll, correct?"

The Caitian realized he hadn't even introduced himself and felt a twinge of embarrassment "Correct, yes ma'am..."

Smiling slightly she replied, "Now is fine, Lieutenant. I was just going through the colony data and research reports from the department one more time to make sure everything checks out before handing it off. I was going to have them transferred to you when I was done."

He returned the smile and took a seat by the desk. "Oh! Why th-thank you! That will save me a lot of hassle tomorrow for sure." he chuckled, easing his guard down slowly. The Caitian looked about the laboratory around him; much larger than his last posting, though then again these ones didn't have to be divided between Romulan and Federation scientists like some border dispute.

"I must say you've been running a splendid department. The laboratories are spotless, the team members I have met so far have been lovely... Let's hope I can keep up the standard." The whole department was an enormous upgrade from his previous postings, though this also meant he had a lot more to deal with. "So what's next for yourself? If you... don't mind me asking of course?" he added politely.

Aniela chuckled, "I do my best. And the team is...unique. They play off of each other well; just don't get Gerard (NPC) started talking or be prepared for a long conversation." She would miss the Science team, even with their various quirks. "The away team's busy on the planet, but I'm hoping they'll have some more information or possibly samples for Science to look into. Captain Kersare asked me to move into the Operations department to help out there, so I'll be getting up to speed with that. I'm happy to help get you acquainted or answer any questions, of course. And I'm happy to help out in Science as needed if Ops isn't falling apart."

While she didn't want push herself on the new Science Chief, Aniela at least wanted him to know that she was willing to help. It was a fine line between offering assistance and making a newly transferred officer feel like they might be inadequate, which wasn't her intention. "My specialties are in spatial anomalies and particles, but I've dabbled in most things so I could keep up with the various research projects going on," she added.

T'Koll couldn't help but chuckle, "Is that so? Well if Tar'Quesh (NPC) from my last post were here he would say I could give Mister Gerard a run for his money! Romulans can be a lovely people once you get to know them but they don't do 'small talk'." He winked with a smirk; rather beginning to enjoy Aniela's company now the bugbear of rank had been qualmed by a bit of idle conversation.

"That is a very kind offer Miss Darvetti, I do hope I won't have to take you up on it but we shall see. Truth be told this is my first 'handover' as it were, and it almost feels like I'm imposing," he added with another nervous chuckle. "Sounds silly, I know. But you know how the mind can be." He admitted, his mind still a racing mess of questions, doubts and new experiences, causing his mouth to continue on without much of a filter enabled.

Aniela nodded, "Small talk can be a skill... The offer stands, regardless. If it would be alright with you, there were a couple projects I was working on that I'd like to continue in my spare time - obviously only if they weren't interfering with current Science needs." Hearing his chuckle, she offered him a brief smile and said, "You're certainly not imposing. I suppose I should ask, though, do you have any questions for me about the department or the ship?"

T’koll couldn’t help but chuckle remembering his Romulan coworker’s dry remarks “Indeed, truth be told it’s one I’m also still working on. Laboratories are my home, but they don’t do much for your social skills do they?” He joked, easing in his seat slightly. “Well you’re more than welcome to continue any of your projects by all means. I know how frustrating it can be to leave work unfinished. Just send me a comm and I can arrange a bench for you.”

He gave the next question a long consideration. “As for questions, are there any...” he leaned in slightly and softened his voice “‘pressing matters’ that weren’t on the brief? I know that personnel matters can be sensitive sometimes and kept off the record.” He asked, remembering back to a few ‘cultural clashes’ early into his time aboard the USS Turing that were kept from him, until they reached a critical level... “Other than that I should be fine. I imagine I will have plenty more queries as they arise. That tends to be the way of things, though I won’t be badgering you every other second, don’t worry.”

Pausing to consider the Caitian's question, Aniela shook her head. "No, I can't think of any other pressing matters. We were looking into more information about this planet and colony for our current mission...and I'm sure if something comes up, the Captain will want Science to investigate further, but that's it. The department members have some quirks, but they all generally get along. And feel free to ask me questions as needed, or I'm sure Lieutenant Commander Korath could answer some as well."

T'Koll nodded, "Well what laboratory doesn't eh? Very well. I do look forward to getting to know them all." T'koll stepped up out of the seat and offered a hand to shake and returned a confident smile, much more confident than when he had first entered. "Well I believe I have intruded on you enough, I'll leave you to your work. It was a pleasure talking to you Lieutenant Commander. I might just have a wander about the ship and introduce myself to Lieutenant Commander Korath whilst I'm at it."

"True," Aniela replied with a smile. "They're a good group of people to work with, as I'm sure you'll find out. I'll send you any additional relevant information I come across." She shook his hand, "Pleasure meeting you as well, Lieutenant. Certainly feel free to get acquainted with the ship, but I'm afraid Lieutenant Commander Korath is with the away team going down to the colony. The Captain is still aboard and most of the others, but our Chief Engineer, Chief Security/Tactical, the Executive Officer, and some others aren't."

"Ah, well I suppose I will just take a walk then," He smirked, breaking the handshake and nodding to her. "I'm sure I will get to meet them soon enough!" The Caitian bowed his head and departed the room with a smile on his face. His nerves had been quelled a good amount by meeting the Lieutenant Commander, and it seemed he had inherited a good team. He departed the laboratory and headed towards the bow of the ship, continuing to explore and familiarize himself with the Malinche's various twists and turns.

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant Commander Aniela Darvetti (PNPC)
(Acting) Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
played by: Captain Kersare

and
Lieutenant T'Koll
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Quinn
Crewmember

Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:32 pm

ON:
<< USS Xunantunich | On approach | Day 2 | 1140 Hours >>

Korath made his way to the cockpit of the shuttle as Quinn made one final pass over the settlement. He peered through the forward view port and took in the surrounding land as they continued to descend. He came to a standing rest just behind the pilot's seat. His hand resting on the forward bulkhead. "Set us down as close to the governor's office as you can," the Klingon ordered as the shuttle began its final approach.

"Aye, sir," Elle answered, steering the Delta Flyer down through what seemed — to her — like an ever narrowing iris of iridescent flora… until finally the Xunantunich alighted softly upon the ground. Elle nestled the runabout some thirty meters from the governor’s office, as close as the terrain would allow.

Like the other colony buildings, the governor’s office was almond shaped, with a sloped, rounded roof and a base that curved upward, like the hull of a seagoing vessel — each feature designed to ward off rising tides or heavy rains. And though all of the structures closest to the water were elevated, built a meter or more up into the gnarled jungle trees, as protection against possible flooding, this building still sat noticeably higher than others.

Conversely, no one person stood out from the crowd of colonists that had gathered to greet them. Through the Xunantunich’s front viewport, Elle could not quite pick out the governor by sight. So varied were the heights and builds of the humanoid colonists. Nonetheless, Elle suspected she might still tower over most of them, and so she was glad that Korath appeared set on being the first to meet their welcoming committee.

<< Colony Surface | 1144 Hours >>

As the shuttle set down and the doors opened, the Klingon nodded slightly to the away team as he led the way down the ramp and out into the open, catching sight of whom he assumed was the colony’s Governor and aides. He took a breath and put on his most diplomatic face as he walked toward the approaching group. "Greetings, I am Lieutenant Commander Korath. This is Commander Tournneau our Chief Engineer, Commander Fala (PNPC), Security Chief and our Helm Officer Ensign Quinn." The Klingon extended a hand for the Governor to shake.

Elle approximated a grin as she was introduced, though she suspected the expression looked more like a grimace. Such social exercises were still, in many ways, more taxing to her than even their dangerous flight over tumultuous seas from minutes ago.

Brenal (NPC) stepped forward with a warm smile as the Malinche's away team arrived and the Executive Officer introduced the main staff. A few others were unloading cargo from the runabout. "Good morning, Commanders... Ensign. I am Governor Savin. Welcome to Torva IV; I must say we are glad to see you. This is Lieutenant Governor Kala Eteke (NPC), Lieutenant Torik (NPC) our Chief Engineer, Lieutenant Commander Luka Volkov (NPC) our Chief of Security, and my assistant Colin Dirth (NPC). Our doctor is seeing to some patients and couldn't join us, I'm afraid."

As the colony staff was introduced, Awen listened carefully to take note of who each of them was. Brief files on each had been available for review before the Malinche arrived, but now she could watch their interactions in person. While the governor appeared welcoming and almost nonchalant, a few of the others seemed a bit anxious. Perhaps they simply wanted to get started on repairs or perhaps it was something more.

Korath watched the body language of the colony staff, but his expression didn't reveal anything out of the ordinary as the away team exchanged pleasantries. "Nothing serious, I hope?" The Klingon replied to the news that the colony's Doctor could not attend. "My officers and I are at your disposal, if you need any assistance."

Perhaps one of the colonists shared her social anxiety after all, Elle thought. Once the groups had come closer together, she noticed that the human standing closest to Governor Savin, his assistant Dirth, had gone to great lengths to maintain a... "stiff upper lip", so to speak. Dirth's demeanor was so overtly formal that Elle became convinced he was as uncomfortable with this initial meeting as she was. Beneath his calm and collected veneer, Elle was sure he fretted fiercely.

Unlike the colony's chief engineer or chief of security, who both wore concern on their sleeves, understandably so, Dirth remained stoic. In fact, he seemed quite like the sound of his name — except that his scarcity of expression emotion wound up revealing a glimpse of it instead. Elle extended her hand to shake his — and wound up hitting Savin's hand in the process, as the governor had reached her in his series of greetings. "Oh... yes, hi. Hello," she said awkwardly, starting off on the wrong foot — or in this case, hand — as usual.

Brenal smiled, amused, at the young StarFleet Ensign. Of course, to him they all seemed young. She seemed a bit unsure or nervous and and probably picked up on a similar mentality from his assistant. He waited patiently and shook her hand next, "Good to meet you Ensign. Don't worry, we don't bite."

Elle stammered, "Same. I mean, me neither. Or rather... likewise." Then she inhaled sharply... and held it, exhaling only after the governor moved on. Once he did, she'd see about helping out where needed. This world seemed so lush, bountiful even, and Elle was curious to see what secrets it held.

The Governor, hoping he had set the young woman's mind at ease, turned back to Korath after the slightly awkward greeting and said, "No, no, nothing serious. The doctor was hoping to be finished in time to greet you with us, but got held up slightly. We've been doing what we can about the flood damage and our systems affected by the storms, but our resources are limited as you're aware. If you would like assistance with unloading your runabout, we can see to that as well as show you where the relevant areas are."

Korath nodded at the explanation, as well as the offer of assistance with the gear they had brought. "That would be appreciated," he replied. "Commander Tournneau and Lieutenant Greyman, see to any engineering needs the colonists require. Doctor, Commander Fala, assist the Colony's medical staff any way you can; the rest survey the remainder of the colony and see what else we can do. I'll head to the governor's office and coordinate from there."

"Survey duty then," Elle said softly to herself, nodding, while wiping away the sweat that had already begun to bead at her brow. The air was thick, and a walk through such dense humidity wouldn't exactly be pleasant, but at least it would provide her time alone with her thoughts, and a chance to take in the landscape. "Aye, sir," she said aloud suddenly, as she activated her tricorder. This in turn elicited a small nod — and an *almost* amused look — from Dirth... before he quietly joined the group headed back to the governor's office. And that was as the extent of any greeting as he shared with Elle, for her earlier gaffe prevented them from even exchanging words.

Tournneau turned to Viradia (PNPC) and Greyman (PNPC), and gestured with his head to his opposite number in the colony staff. The two parties began to break and disperse into their disciplines. Tournneau and the others in his group came up to Lieutenant Torik. Derek extended his hand in greeting, which the young Vulcan man met impassively.

“Mr. Torik, Derek Tournneau, chief aboard the Malinche. This is my assistant chief, Ms. Beladd, and one of our security officers, Derek Greyman.” Torik nodded politely to each of them as Derek continued. “We’ve conducted some high-resolution scans of the area, as well as the information that was provided to us en route. I’m anxious to see what you have, and where we can best get started.”

Torik gestured towards the settlement. “If you will follow me, Mr. Tournneau, I would be happy to show you the areas that we have identified as priorities for repair. My office is in the administration building, right this way.” Torik gestured to a squat structure near the governor’s office. “Our main concern is of course, getting the main computer and power systems operational. We have been operating on emergency power only, with no environmental controls and minimal lighting. It is... quite humid... here.” Derek noticed that the Vulcan was perspiring profusely. “We have everything necessary for survival; however our position will be untenable, if we cannot both repair what has been lost and enact preventative measures for the future. It is only logical to presume that these conditions will one day occur again.”

The engineers entered the building through the open doorway. With no environmental controls, the colonists were keeping doors and windows open for ventilation. They made their way through the main lobby and through a small door set in the wall, where a stairwell was concealed. The group continued to Torik’s office.

Once the engineering group left, Awen turned to Toren (PNPC), "Is there anything else you need, Doctor, or are you ready to go to the medical facilities?" Truthfully, the Bajoran wanted to have a look around the colony herself, but Myka (PNPC) would likely come up with the most useful information.

"No, Commander," Toren responded, "Everything necessary will be brought by the crew. Since the main computer is offline, I cannot begin work on their medical equipment. Until then, I will simply be observing the colony's patients for anything out of the ordinary."

Kala made her way over to the Malinche's Chief Security/Tactical and Doctor and waited until the Doctor finished speaking. "I would be glad to show you the way, if you'd like. I was going to check in with our Doctor anyway," she offered, smiling. She could sense some restlessness from the Bajoran, but it didn't show.

Awen gave the woman a brief smile, "Please do, Lieutenant Governor." She glanced over at Toren, nodding to him, then followed as Kala led the way. Considering the rumors, unfounded as they might be, it was still better to exercise caution and be ready for anything. Hopefully Myka would find out more.

The walk to the governor's office was a relatively short one. Korath was confident that the Away Team would be up to the task of determining what was going on with the colony. He paused as he crossed a darkened alleyway. For a split second he... he felt like something was watching him. A feeling of foreboding welled up in the pit of his stomach. Before he could think, he tapped his comm. "Korath to security..." He said. His voice betrayed a tone of panic? Despite his return to duty, there was still something not quite right about it. At first, he passed it off as discomfort from being cooped up so long in sickbay, but now he was not so sure.

"Security, disregard last transmission." Korath let out a low, barely audible growl at the darkness and continued toward the governor's office.

OFF:

A Joint Post by:

Lieutenant Commander Korath
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Lieutenant Commander Derek Tournneau
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Lieutenant Junior Grade Toren
Acting Assistant Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
PNPC of Derek Tournneau

Lieutenant Torik (Male Vulcan)
Colony Chief Engineer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
NPC played by Derek Tournneau

and

Lieutenant Commander Fala Awen
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
PNPC of Isabel Kersare

Brenal Savin (Male El-Aurian)
Colony Governor/Administrator
NPC played by Isabel Kersare

Kala Eteke (Female Betazoid)
Colony Lieutenant Governor
NPC played by Isabel Kersare

and

Colin Dirth (Male Human)
Colony Governor's Aide
NPC played by Saoirse "Elle" Quinn
Last edited by Quinn on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Quinn
Crewmember

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:01 am

ON
<< Torva IV | Beneath the dark jungle canopy, far from the heart of the colony
... and perhaps too far down the river | Day 2 | 1234 Hours >>

The sights seemed realer than real, for the shape and the color — especially the color — felt far more vivid. Almost *too* vivid, as though someone had turned a holodeck’s photoreceptor filters to their highest luminosity, maximum saturation, and starkest contrast. Except the contrast was somehow both stark and subtle in its movement from dark to light. And it was beautiful. Stunning, really. The glowing, globular flora was made more luminous after the storms, while wavering stalks of green appeared to be dotted with emeralds, though those tiny jewels were just droplets of rain, clinging to life before falling to the dirt below.

As Saoirse “Elle” Quinn wandered through the gnarled maze of tangled tree roots alongside the river, she almost forgot she held a tricorder in hand. She was collecting data of course, but the meandering walk caused Elle to become lost in thought, reminded as she was of walks she had taken as a child. When, as an independent little girl, she would always take the roundabout way through Harvard campus after a particularly heavy New England rainstorm. Ostensibly, she did this to delay her arrival at her mother’s office — Ma always made her wait anyway. But more than that, she did it simply to take in the sights. She'd walked the campus innumerable times of course, but after rainfall, "the sights" were cast in a new light and took on new life. The grass and the green were so unusually vivid that, like now, it didn’t quite feel real. And therein was the escape — landscape lit anew and subtly fantastical, so that young Elle could lose herself in other, more fanciful lives she’d envisioned — lives that still and finally felt real, because the rain had laid them plain for her to see while awake.

Even then she knew the scientific explanation for the phenomenon — her father wouldn’t have let Elle get away with relying only on flights of fancy, after all. Increased number of water molecules in the air, steeper angle of descent for light upon leaves, reflected light that was then diminished of its absorbable wavelengths — hence richer perception to the eye. Et cetera. That was fine for her father, but not enough for Elle. Not then, nor now. And so, she was glad to be here for such a post-rainfall windfall. Despite the oppressive humidity that now made her uniform cling uncomfortably, Elle was... enjoying? She didn't think simple survey duty could be ever so —

Suddenly she saw a flash in her periphery! By the edge of the river. By one of the still fully-functional turbines. Swathed in shadow, beneath overlapping arms of the jungle canopy, the bursts of electricity popped like balloons filled with fireflies. Elle almost laughed — even her mental images of mundane malfunctions had grown painfully poetic in the moment. Still, Elle only now realized she'd already come quite far from the center of the colony. With tricorder in hand, and phaser at her hip — she made sure of the latter just now, Elle spun in the direction of the flash, ready to “draw her pistol” like she’d seen in so many of Earth's old frontier-themed programs. What she saw surprised her.

Wavering like a willow, was a wisp of a child. A girl about the age Elle was in her recent reminiscing — running, along and alone through the thicket ahead, circling the perimeter of the sparking turbine.

“Hey! Hey, Kid! Get away from there. That could be dangerous!” Elle yelled, knowing full well she herself was about to run *toward* that same danger. And as Elle did, she half-wished she'd kept the other surveyors from the Away Team in line of sight. Too late now. Besides, she could take care of herself. That reed of a child probably thought he or she could too, as it continued its play at the machine, whose sparkling sputtering grew more frequent with each stride Elle took toward them.

“Listen up! Look out, that thing's on the fritz,” Elle shouted — but then, almost out of a nowhere, the root of a nearby tree was suddenly underfoot, while another knobby snare seemed to swing low from above just as quickly. Thankfully, Elle was agile, despite her gangly frame. She crouched mid-stride like a hurdler, and managed to clear the barriers of branches that were suddenly above and below.

She landed on surprising soft ground however, and started to sink! Nearly needing to take a knee, she glanced down to see that soil was swallowing her foot. After freeing her boot, she looked back up, shouting a warning to that child once again. “Hey Kid, you better...

But there was no one.

"... watch out.”

And with a final burst of sparks and crackle to the ear, the spinning turbine ground to a halt. And the willowy branches of the tree overhead righted themselves — after being bent low by the wind Elle only now noticed. Their leaves tickled the top of the now-inoperative machinery — as though teasing. Gently... or cruelly.

“Oh yeah, no. Good. This is good. Perfect even,” Elle sighed, arms akimbo as she looked around. The flora’s glow and flow seemed softer now. Like a timed nightlight dimming in the dark, after its Sandman’s duty was done. Elle drew her phaser and turned 360 degrees, scanning the surroundings with squinted, wary eyes, and with tricorder too.

Still there was no one.

“Hey Kid,” Elle said to herself. “You better watch out.”

OFF:
Last edited by Quinn on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:25 pm

ON:
<<Torva IV Colony, Day 2, 1200>>

After being dropped off by the Xunantunich, Myka (PNPC) had made her way through the jungle to the outskirts of the settlement. It wouldn't normally have taken her quite as long to arrive at her target area, but she'd had the uncomfortable feeling of being watched. She'd used every strategy she could reasonably employ to lose whoever or whatever might have been following her, but something still made her feel uneasy. There were never any actual physical signs of anyone following her and the Bajoran certainly didn't see anything, but the feeling had persisted nonetheless.

Myka found a well worn path leading to the settlement and finally entered at a leisurely pace. It was lunchtime and everyone seemed to be bustling about - either heading home for a meal or off to find one, perhaps. From her research, she knew there were a few bakeries and eateries that had opened as well as a marketplace which had been expanding a fair bit...at least it had been until the storm season's damage.

Her best bet was probably to find a meal and eat slowly so she could listen to the other patrons, so she looked around casually, smiling politely at the other colonists. It wasn't a huge colony, per se, but it was at least big enough that a new person didn't particularly stand out. Moving smoothly through the crowd, Myka headed towards a cafe that looked fairly busy and found a small table to sit at. A few minutes later, a waitress arrived.

"Hello! I'm Brina(NPC); I apologize for the wait...it's been a little hectic. Is there something I can get you to drink while you look over the menu?" The petite brunette smiled at Myka as she gestured towards a menu already sitting on the table. "Oh, and the lunch special today is a half sandwich, a mug of vegetable soup, and a side salad."

Glancing down briefly at the menu, Myka looked back up and smiled, "Hello Brina. Actually, I think the lunch special will be just fine and perhaps just a glass of water to drink."

A startled and perhaps concerned look crossed Brina's face, "Um...we don't serve water. Not since...well. Anyway, perhaps I could get you some juice or milk?"

"Juice would be fine - whatever you recommend," Myka told her, feeling a bit confused. Offering an apologetic smile, she added, "I'm sorry, I don't know where my head is at...I suppose I'm still used to ordering water from before and just forgot for a moment."

"It happens from time to time," Brina nodded. "Okay, I'll put your order in and bring your drink."

Once Brina left, Myka frowned. Why wouldn't they serve water? There seemed to be plenty on the planet, plus the colony would have its own water system as well. The only things she could think of were that the planet's water had been contaminated by the storms or perhaps the colonists' belief in the elemental creatures had spooked them out of drinking it. Something to look into, anyway.

Brina returned fairly quickly with a coral colored beverage and sat it on the table in front of Myka. "Here you go, ma'am. Your food should be along shortly."

Myka didn't have a chance to respond before the waitress flitted away. She'd been hoping to perhaps get some more information out of her, but considering how busy it was that was unlikely. Settling back into her seat, she took a sip of her juice and listened more closely to the conversations around her, hoping that she might learn more.

OFF:

Lieutenant Turren Myka (PNPC)
Acting Chief Intelligence Officer
played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A