Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Re: Kersare, Isabel

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:24 am

<Mission 23 - Back For More>

<<Starfleet Academy, Temporary Quarters, Day 3, 2300>>

Personal Log On:

Today was an...interesting day. It was nice to see the Academy again; it's been a number of years since I've been here. Mostly it seems the same, but there are some differences. It's still familiar though, the comforting kind of familiar - like coming home. Of course, for me, home has always been a starship. The only time I ever actually lived on a planet was when I did go to Academy. I suppose I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but I have a difficult time imagining myself somewhere other than the Malinche.

I saw Derek and Viradia (NPC); we met initially in the Academy Gardens and then ended up at a nice little coffee shop just off campus. It seems that they're enjoying their time off, although I know this is a difficult time for Derek with the anniversary of his wife's passing. I'm glad we were able to be here so he'll be able to attend the services. A part of me is a bit surprised that they weren't spending shoreleave together; it seems fairly obvious that there's something going on or, at least, that there could be. I'm certainly not going to push and it's quite possible that they could simply remain very close platonic friends. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes further than that at some point, though.

Later on, I found out that we finally got an official Executive Officer assigned to the ship. I'm sure Awen (PNPC) is relieved. His name is Korath - a Klingon. I've had Klingons on the Malinche before, but never as Executive Officer. I'm not entirely sure what the crew will think, initially, but I'm sure they'll adjust. His records indicated a few instances where he went against orders, but when you take them in context, I think it's understandable. I can't really blame him for going after his wife and daughter, for instance. Despite the general Klingon demeanor, I know there's more to him. The loss of his wife affected him, as did the absence of his daughter. I suppose that's something that Derek, Korath, and I have in common...except that my husband came back.

I'm hoping to hear more from Starfleet Command in the next day or two. We still have a number of positions to fill and presumably we'll be getting our next mission soon. I did look at Korath's daughter's Academy records and I've decided to put in a request to have her aboard the Malinche. We're light on Ops personnel and it would give Korath and Ba'el (NPC) a chance to build more of a relationship. I've heard there are a couple candidates for Chief Medical Officer, but to my knowledge there's not been a decision made.

I believe I'll stick around the Academy a little while tomorrow, and then continue my shoreleave elsewhere. I may take Gabi (NPC) up on her offer and visit Seville; I haven't decided yet. I'm sure that I'll return to Barcelona at some point as well - at the very least I should say goodbye to my parents. Other than that, I'm not entirely sure what I'll do. I may end up back on the ship early or perhaps I'll get a recommendation from someone. Either way, I need to go take care of a few things before getting some sleep.

Personal Log OFF:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:10 am

<Mission 24 - Nanoprobes Killed Outpost Beta 12>

<<USS Malinche, Isabel's Quarters, Day 4, 2000>>

Personal Log On:

We set off from Earth two days ago and I think the crew had mixed feelings - at least those with friends and family there did. It was a nice little trip through nostalgia, visiting Starfleet Academy. Some of it will always remain the same, I suspect, though there were some changes as well. It feels like a lifetime ago that I attended classes there, but I can still remember the excitement and I have fond memories of the experience. Until I went to Academy, I'd only known life on a starship with the exception of shoreleave or the holodeck.

It was odd seeing my parents actually settled down on a planet. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had continued serving aboard starships their entire lives. They do still serve on ships at times, but they aren't living on one full time anymore. I have to say that they chose a beautiful city to settle in. I'm not sure if I could give up life on a ship, but if I did, I'd want it to be for a place with a lot of character.

That last meal with my parents before I returned was nice; I think it was a good conclusion to shoreleave for me. They've told me that Derek (PNPC) and I are welcome to visit any time, but they know that those times will be few and far between. I suppose that's one of the good things about having Starfleet officers for parents - they understand what the Starfleet life is like and know what to expect.

I did end up finding the music box I'd wanted before I left as well. Right now it's in a place of honor on one of the shelves in the living area. The way the light hits it really shows off the detail and the room is a good size to let the music envelop you. It actually plays parts of three different songs, all by Beethoven - Symphony No. 5, Moonlight Sonata, and Für Elise. When you open the lid, a miniature holo-background appears and the notes of the melody show up in time with the song.

I think I'll go down to the lounge for a couple hours. The journey to the outpost will take around another week and there hasn't been a great deal of work to be done, other than the usual. Besides, it would be nice to hopefully get to know some of the new crew better; perhaps I'll run into some of them there.

Personal Log OFF:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:43 am

<Mission 24 - Nanoprobes Killed Outpost Beta 12>

<<USS Malinche, Ready Room, Day 12, 1530>>

Personal Log On:

I shouldn't be here. I should be on the bridge right now, especially with our away teams on the outpost with Borg technology. But...I needed to clear my head. I know I should've waited and carried on, just like everyone else has been doing. I'm a starship Captain; I'm used to unexpected, difficult situations coming up that I have to deal with. I don't have the luxury for a time out.

And yet...

I'll just try to run through my thoughts quickly and contact Starfleet so I can get back to the bridge.

When I heard the news that there was evidence of Borg nanoprobes on the station, it chilled me to the core. All the memories and feelings from when Derek (PNPC) was assimilated came flooding back. The image of him as part of the Collective popped into my mind. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't stop it. Although I know I have him back, the image haunts me still.

With that image in my mind, my thoughts wandered over to the thought of him being re-assimilated...of my crew being assimilated under my watch. I can't let that happen. I won't. I won't let that be their fate. We have to finish the investigation and either destroy the nanoprobes or destroy the outpost. We can't let the Borg tech spread further. I'll have to contact Starfleet to let them know what's happened and give them my recommendations.

I can't help but wonder how Derek's doing with all of this. Is he as affected as I am? More? I know he's a professional and he'll do his job, but it still can't be easy.

I know I need to project confidence and calm to the rest of the crew, and I will. This revelation was just...so unexpected and shocking that it took me off guard. I think getting my thoughts out has helped. I know what I need to do. I'll lead my crew through this situation and out the other side.

Time to contact Starfleet so I can get back to the bridge.

Personal Log OFF:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A