Personal log reflections regarding events during missions or shoreleave

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

McCarty
Junior Staff

McCarty, Jake

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:12 pm

<Be Wary of your Friends>
<<USS Malinche, Jake's Quarters, Day 4, 1425>>

Jake walked over to the replicator. "Vodka." The replicator processed his request and a glass appeared. Although the synthohol was far from being as good as the real thing, Jake was still able to find peace after a good drink. He placed the glass on his night stand and lay on his bed.

"Computer begin log."

"I have no idea what is happening to me right now. For the first time in my life I feel I have no control over my Destiny. ((laughs)) Funny I say that, the motto of my old ship was our Destiny lies beyond the next star. Well I can't see my star, but I used to take comfort in that. It gave me direction, now I am just shifting between memories haunted by ghosts of the past. Sometimes I look back at these visions and wonder, are they trying to send me some sort of message? The hallucinations are always so vivid I can remember every intricate detail like it happened yesterday and I can't help but feel like someone or something is trying to tell me something, perhaps someone has been trying to tell me something for years. I have been known to be ignorant at times."

"I don't know why Luke told me I would make a good Captain before he died. Captain Conaway would never find himself like this, and I doubt the same for Captain Kersare. Starfleet needs a strong presence on the bridge not some nut job who hallucinates. It would also be quite unprofessional for a Starfleet Captain to spend more time in the counselor's office than on the bridge. I feel I can't keep relying on people like this, unfamiliar territory for me. However both Nora and Kersare feel it is the best course of action. Normally I would not take medical advice to heart unless it was an order, but since the Captain endorses it as well, I know I have no choice."

"Therefore I have decided to pursue my sessions with Lt. Zeral and see what happens from there, maybe she knows something I don't. I mean she can read my mind right? Until now I never believed in counselors....guess it's time I start to see life for what it is and not what I think or want it to be. Hopefully I'll be able to find the next star again."

"Well I suppose I shouldn't keep a gorgeous girl waiting."

END LOG
Lieutenant JG Jake McCarty
Assistant Chief Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

McCarty
Junior Staff

Re: McCarty, Jake

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:13 am

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Shoreleave, Day 2, Sickbay, 2100 hours>>

Jake sat up on his bed deep in his thoughts. Anna had fallen asleep in the chair beside him no doubt exhausted from the constant watch. He smiled as he looked over at her, resting peacefully.

Jake got out of his bed and walked over to a nurse. "Excuse me nurse, would you happen to have a blank PADD lying around? I need something to do." he said laughing softly.

"Infact I do Lieutenant." she replied walking over to a station retrieving a PADD. "Here you go. Is there anything else?"

McCarty shook his head. "No thank you nurse you have done me quite a service." Jake returned to his bed and began typing.

BEGIN LOG:

I have honestly never felt so useless and bored in my entire life. Over the past couple of days I have been in sickbay wither sleeping or talking with someone. The most exciting parts of my days have been when the nurse checks my vitals. As for my visits. I was first spoken to by Captains Kersare and Conaway. The two stopped by for what I would call a routine check in customary to any traumatic events a subordinate could succumb to. However Anna was given permission to remain here with me which I must say is the only thing that has kept me sane. She is an amazing woman and I do not know what I would do without her. My second and third visits were not as delightful.

The second person to come visit me was Chief Roen the new shuttlebay manager. I have no idea why she came and the introduction was quite awkward and untimely. I mean Lieutenant England was probably milling around the ship somewhere why didn't she go to her first? I have no bearing on anything right now. Only thing I can come up with is she is Bajoran and seems quite stuck on the rules of the book. She may not have known I was not on active duty and wished to follow the chain of command. Either way I can't say I would be particularly fond of her. I never got along well with those whom were high strung. I can't imagine how L'randil will manage.

My third visitor was none other then Lieutenant England herself....my boss. She has to be the most unpleasant, stone faced uptight.....PERSON I have ever met. Seriously she just strolls in hear all concerned and starts beaking off about training exercises. What does she think I am some new ensign? Her YEARS of experience over mine must just make her the best pilot in the universe, perhaps I should grovol in her presence? Funny thing about it was even though I had just met her I could tell her apparant concern was only shown because it was her job. I am willing to bet she didn't even really care....I wonder if she even has a heart, or is really actually human and not so sort of android. I may have to put that to the test someday...

Now I find myself actually looking forward to a meeting with a counselor. She could probably slap me in the face and call me a lunatic and I would enjoy it far more than my last two encounters. I am hoping she will be the bearer of good news, maybe she'll have some miracle drug or procedure that will return me back to duty....although with England around I am not looking as forward to it as I once was. I also think I need to stop with the wishful thinking.

END LOG

Jake set the PADD down on the table beside him and lay down on his bed slowly drifting off into a deep sleep.

OFF:
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

McCarty
Junior Staff

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:28 am

<<The Waiting Game>>
ON:
<<USS Malinche, Jake's Quarters, Day 18, 1620 Hrs>>

Jake calmly walked into his quarters returning from his meeting with Captain Kersare, Lieutenant Zeral and Lieutenant England. He had just received the news he had been waiting to hear for weeks. He would be returning to duty as well as manning the helm for their departure. The only drawback was that another Flight Control Officer would have to supervise hle him while he was on shift. As much as he hated medical restrictions and being treated differently he more then understood Isabel's wishes and was grateful for her generousity.

He walked over to the replicator. "Tea Earl Grey Hot." he requested.

A swirl of light filled the replicator which was replaced by a cup of hot tea shortly after.

"Computer begin log."

"I have just returned from a meeting with Captain Kersare, the counselor and Lieutenant England. I wasn't sure what to think going into it, personally I thought they were gonna lock me up or put me on some simple duty like helping the bartender in the lounge. Turns out I am back in the game! It seems Nora and the Captain have decided I am fit to return to duty under the condition I am watched by another Flight Control Officer. Unfortunately it seemed Lieutenant England was not so confident nor thrilled with the decision and I expect her to be on the bridge for most if not all of my shifts.

I cannot believe all that has transpired in the past few weeks. I mean I went to see a counselor and I enjoyed it, sometimes a little too much...but nevertheless she was a big part of my recovery and I cannot thank her enough. Captain Kersare was extremely generous for letting Anna come on board and watch over me during shoreleave. Having such great friends around me makes things like these so much easier to deal with. Now if I remembered to take the pills Nora gave me on a regular basis I might just pull through.

My only concern is Lieutenant England. She's quite a.....hard....person to deal with. She is just so all about herself and she just loses it over nothing. I can't believe the fireworks display she let off in front of the Captain...talk about not showing confidence in your leadership. I think she has some control issues, like she constantly has to be in control of everything. Little bit of OCD when it comes to micro managing, unfortunately I don't think Captain Kersare is in the mood to be micro managed by some Lieutenant, I know I'm not. I will do my best to get along with her and maybe she will end up falling into the warp core or something. Engines might never run right again but we can always get new ones....I hope that woman never sees the command chair or may god have mercy on those poor souls.

"Well I suppose I should get some rest, might hit the old holodeck tommorrow and start prepping for our departure...."

Jake thought about Taryn's mention of training sims.

"or maybe not."
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

McCarty
Junior Staff

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:00 pm

<<Inferno's Light>>
<<USS Malinche, Jake's Quarters, Day 14>>

ON:

"Computer begin log." Jake began.

"I have just returned from sickbay after my apparant "blackout" on the surface of Athos Three. Doctor Dormand (NPC) assured me it was the result of nausea caused by something in the air and it had nothing to do with my hallucinogenic episodes thus I was given some anti-nausea meds and sent on my way.

I have not heard any word from Lieutenant England or anyone for that matter as to exactly what happening or if the away team found anything. I haven't found the time to explore the ship but once this fog in my head clears up I will be searching for answers.

Personally my frequent trips to sickbay are wearing thin on my patience. Not once in my time on the Destiny or the academy did I ever "pass out" or run around acting like a crazed lunatic. I certainly hope my experience aboard Destiny has not permanently weakened me. I still plan to one day take my place in the center seat of a ship. At this point I think I'd take it on a Dilithium Freighter.

For the time-being though, Doctor Dormand suggested I stay in my quarters for a day or so until the symptoms clear up. Good news is I haven't hallucinated in quite some time, maybe things aren't as bad as I am making them out to be."

Suddenly the door chimed. Jake stood up surprised as he was not expecting any visitors, perhaps the Captain came to check on him. He straightened his uniform before allowing the visitor to enter.

"Computer end log." he stated. "Enter" he said.

The doors slid open and Lieutenant England stepped through. Jake sighed and took a seat. "What can I do for you ma'am?"

"May I have a seat Mr.McCarty?" she asked. Surprised by her show of manners for him Jake nodded motioning her to sit across from him. Taryn sat down silently for a moment before speaking. "Jake, this is gonna be hard for me, but we need to talk."

OFF:
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A