Personal log reflections regarding events during missions or shoreleave

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

McCarty
Junior Staff

England, Taryn

Mon May 03, 2010 7:11 pm

<Be Wary of your Friends>
<<USS Malinche, Taryn's Quarters, Day 4, 1200>>

Taryn sat down at her desk with her favourite beverage, a hot green tea. Somehow the drink had a surreal ability to calm her nerves and allow her to go into a state of deep concentration. Sometimes she wished she could have a glass sitting on her console on the bridge, however she knew she would't want to get too calm as it was her nerves that kept the ship in one piece.

"Computer begin log."

"After a briefing with Captain Kersare I have decided to appoint Ensign. Sychorski as my assistant until Lieutenant McCarty is cleared for duty. He performed well during this last situation and has proven himself a worthy leader in the past. I have no doubts in his abilities."

Taryn sighed.

"However the same cannot be said for Lieutenant McCarty. I have not yet had the chance to speak with Lieutenant Zeral or De Souza about his condition but I have run across similar conditions countless times in the past. I am hoping McCarty will have the will to find his way through this but I must be prepared to face the fact that he may not recover. I am curious as to why he was ever even transferred after such a traumatic event but I suppose I must work with what I have. I left the Captain with a suggestion regarding a possible course of action, perhaps it will help him, sometimes the best way to face your past is to stare it right in the eyes."

"Well, I suppose I should go visit the good doctor and counselor and check on his progress, this day has been filled with good news let's hope the streak continues.

Taryn leaned back into her chair and rubbed her eyes. "I still need a vacation."

END LOG

OFF:

Lieutenant Taryn England (PNPC)
Chief Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
played by:
Lieutenant JG Jake McCarty
Assistant Chief Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

McCarty
Junior Staff

Re: England, Taryn

Tue May 25, 2010 1:28 pm

<<Shoreleave>>
<<USS Malinche, Taryn's Quarters, Day 1>>

Taryn entered her quarters both frustrated and concerned. She had paid a visit to both sickbay and the counselor's office but neither individual was around to meet her.

She sat at her desk and tapped on her computer. "Computer begin log."

She took a deep breath before beginning. "Unfortunately my search for answers regarding Lieutenant(JG) McCarty have proven fruitless. Both the doctor and the counselor were unavailable leaving me with the same uncertainty I woke up with. My hope from my meeting with Captain Kersare was to ease this uncertainty, however it did not. My fears only grew. I have seen a great many collegues succumb to PTSD, it takes a strong will to overcome it. Thankfully it seems Mr.McCarty may have that, so says his bio."

"As for him, the thought of meeting him crossed my mind but I was told he was on the station, most likely enjoying his shoreleave. Perhaps that is something I should start doing."

"I have read into 386 noting it has an exceptional eating area on the promenade and many holosuites with hundreds of unique programs. I was thinking of taking time to hop on the saddle again and go for a ride in good old Wisconsin once again. I miss the fields, the way the wheat would sway in the wind, the breeze brushing off my face. The fresh smells, warm sunlight."

Taryn began to daydream but caught herself before she became to overtaken by her thoughts.

"On a brighter note I have finally read over the transfer orders on my new shuttlebay manager Anara Roen. Strict girl from the Bajoran militia. I am quite confident in her abilities as her service record is stellar and her personality should keep the shuttle bay in check. My only concern is learning Warrant Roen and Ensign N'Rass share a past. The details are small however Captain Kersare has dealt with the issue, should anything further arise I intend to intervene. Hopefully I will get to meet Roen soon so I can get a read on her for myself."

Taryn leaned back in her chair and began to think of Wisconsin once again. She smiled "I suppose now is as good as anytime. Should get my mind off things."

END LOG

OFF:

USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Played by:
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

McCarty
Junior Staff

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:03 pm

<<Shoreleave>>
<<USS Malinche, Taryn's Quarters, Day 2, 1847 Hrs>>

Taryn walked into her quarters upon her return from sickbay. Normally had a conversation like that took place Taryn would have tore her subordinate apart. However due to McCarty's conditon Taryn did not see it as wise and left the situation before anything could escalate. She could only hope for better cohesion next time the two met.

"Computer begin log."

"I finally took the time to meet with Lieutenant(JG) McCarty. The good news is it seems as though he is doing well and actively seeking treatment. However I am not as pleased with his behavior. Never in my life have I ran into such an egotistical being, a man with an ego equal to a Q. I can assure anyone no matter how good he may be, he is no god. I forsee him being quite a challenge in the future however I am not one to bow out. I will take some time in the coming days to write him some very challenging simulations on the holodeck. Maybe a good beating by some romulans will settle this wildfire."

"I am also glad to see that he is in such good hands. Although it has never been made of note I believe their is a special connection between Lieutenant Commander Ferris and him. She seems to care for him but does not strike me as a very assertive woman. Infact he kind of treats her like hell, I wouldn't tolerate that behavior from anyone. Perhaps she too is just putting up with it until he recovers, in any case my worries have been allieviated and now only time will tell the future for him."

"I would like to discuss the issue with Lieutenant Zeral and see if there is anything further I can do to help his cause. I may not worship the man but I will not sit by idly and let him hang. On a starship we are all responsible for each other and that we all must trust one another for one day that person could save our lives, just like Mr.McCarty did on the USS Destiny..... I can only hope for the same dedication here."

Taryn sighed.

"I think I need to go back to the Enterprise."

END LOG

OFF:

USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Played by:
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

McCarty
Junior Staff

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:59 am

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Shoreleave, Taryn's Quarters, Day 4>>

Taryn had been sitting at her computer enjoying a coffee while going over the reports of the refit the Malinche was to undergo. Despite the modifications pertaining more to the engineering aspect of the ship she liked to know how they could or would affect flight control.

"Computer begin log."

She paused for a brief moment.

"So far shoreleave has proven itself to be quite chaotic. I find myself reviewing reports of the refit to the Malinche to relieve my mind from the stresses in my department. Never have I run into so much drama in one single department, rest assured it will not continue for much longer. I have gone over most of the major details regarding the engine and propulsion upgrades and will have to sit down with Ensign Sychorski (NPC) to discuss these changes so he is prepared for our departure. I would also like to have a word with Lieutenant Commander Peters to ensure I cover all my bases.

On a not so brighter note I have finally found the time to speak with Chief Roen (PNPC) and Ensign N'Rass regarding their conflict from the past. In my opinion I believe Chief Roen's feelings towards this incident are more personal than she is letting on. Although I have only just met her I can see a passionate anger in her eyes when she speaks of the incident. Ensign N'Rass seems content with the ruling handed down by the JAG however she is not pleased with the behavior of the Chief. I am also not impressed with her apparant over-confidence and belief that she is "better" than the engineers who design the craft she fixes. I agree she is not young however she must learn her place on this ship. I attempted to shed a new light on the situation and I can only hope the two parties can reconsile and work together to ensure the same mistake does not happen again.

As for my other issue involving Lieutenant(JG) McCarty I have not spoken to him since my trip to sickbay and I am still under the impression he is in sickbay speaking with the doctors and Lieutenant Zeral as well as recovering from his latest episode. I have not been informed of any progress therefore I have not made any plans to have him undergo training nor do I expect him to return to duty anytime soon."

Taryn sighed.

"Honestly, I just wish I could get a small break from all this, or atleast see the light at the end of the tunnel."

END LOG

OFF:

USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Played By:
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

McCarty
Junior Staff

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:00 am

<<The Waiting Game>>
ON:
<<USS Malinche, Taryn's Quarters, Shoreleave, Day 18, 1630 Hrs>>

Taryn stormed into her quarters returning from her meeting with Lieutenant Zeral, Captain Kersare and Lieutenant(JG) McCarty. She was furious over the captain's decision to allow him to return to duty and by McCarty's lack of respect he showed towards her right in front of the Captain no less.

"Computer make me something to relax!" she grunted.

"Invalid request, please restate." the computer replied.

"UUUUHHH stupid machines! GREEN TEA HOT." she yelled at the replicator.

A swirl of light formed in the replicator replaced by a cup of hot tea. Taryn picked it up and took a sip from the cup placing it in her desk afterwards.

"Computer begin log." she ordered.

"I honestly cannot believe the Captain would want to return that scoundrel to duty ts soon. Not only is he still hallucinating but he's pompous and lacks any respect for anyone. How could he just blatantly treat me like a child right in front of her? I'd like to know where he came from, his last CO must have been sleeping for his tour of duty. On top of all this HE will be at the helm when we depart from 386! I bet you we will crash into the space dock several times and end up venting drive plasma all over the starbase. Maybe then Kersare would see him for the idiot he really is.

However I will make it my personal mission to instill discipline into Mr. McCarty and I will ensure I am the ONLY Flight Control Officer to watch over him while he is at the helm. It's not that I don't trust Ensign Sychorski (Npc) whom I have had to relieve from the Assistant's job but I do not think he could handle Mr. McCarty."

Taryn began to pace about the room.

"I swear if that goon does not smarten up I am going to stun him right on the bridge, it doesn't seem like the Captain will do much anyways. Maybe i'll get a medal or something. In my opinion he should be locked in the brig or shot out an airlock, but alas I am not the commanding officer, maybe one day. Knowing my luck I'll end up with him as an executive officer. I hope to never see the day."

Taryn felt much better letting off some steam about McCarty. She took another sip from her tea and began to think.

"I think it is time I go check in with Engineering to see how the refit went. I should also warn the Chief Engineer about the impending doom that awaits his engines. Hopefully he is not as in love with them as Montgomery Scott was."

END LOG

Lieutenant Taryn England (pnpc)
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
played by:
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

McCarty
Junior Staff

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:14 am

ON:

<<Inferno's Light>>
<<USS Malinche, Day 14, Taryn's Quarters>>

Taryn sat at her computer reviewing the flight logs and after action reports from the attack on the malinche by the 3 vessels from the mirror universe. With the absence of Lieutenant(JG) McCarty, Taryn was forced to leave Ensign Sychorski(NPC) as the senior flight control officer during the attack. Considering the odds and the limited manueverability of Beta section Taryn felt as though Josh had handled himself well. However at this time she had no cause as to promote him as her ACFCO and to demote Lieutenant McCarty. However she knew he couldn't lay around sick forever...

"Computer begin log." she began.

"I find myself at a crossroads as a review the flight logs and reports with concerns to the recent attack on the USS Malinche. Currently Ensign Sychorski is piloting the Beta section of the Malinche and in a recent encounter handled himself admirably facing some tough odds. Now comes the second part of my crossroads. We are preparing for an assault and I must now choose how to deal with flight control. Lieutenant McCarty has regained consciousness and has once again been cleared for duty. I must know decide whether to leave Beta section in the hands of Ensign Sychorski who has shown first hands his abilities to handle adversity, or go with Lieutenant McCarty the more senior pilot whom only has stories and logs to show for himself."

Taryn paused for a moment and snickered. "Normally this would be an easy decision for me, however if I keep pushing McCarty aside when he is ready then I will be unable to make a case if such an action is required in the future regarding his future in my department. I have spoken with Doctor Dormand (NPC) and she assures me he just suffered from a small episode of Nausea and he will clear up within a day or so. She has also assured me the events on Athos three had nothing to do with his hallucinations and the drugs she prescribed to him seem to be suppressing them for the time being.

Therefore I find myself with no other choice. Besides it wouldn't be the first time a senior officer would force a subordinate into a tough situation." Taryn was reminded of the incident from long ago.

Taryn rose from her computer and sighed. "Computer end log." This would probably be one of the hardest things for her to do, but she knew it was right.

<<McCarty's Quarters>>

Taryn had made it a point to make her trip last longer than it normally would have. She needed time to think this over. Had she gone absolutely mad? Placing an officer at the helm who actively suffers from hallucinations and nausea over a pilot who has shown great progression? Despite her concerns she still had a gut feeling saying McCarty was the answer. She stopped in front of his door. "Here's to the future of the malinche." she said as she tapped the door chime.

There was a momentary pause before McCarty gave her permission to enter.

Taryn stepped through the doors. Jake was standing straight and proper, she figured he was preparing in case the Captain had come by. He sat down and relaxed once he realized it was her.

"May I have a seat Mr.McCarty?" she asked. Jake sat surprised for a moment before snapping out of his thoughts and motioned her to sit down. Taryn took her final moments to collect her thoughts before speaking. "Jake, this is gonna be hard for me, but we need to talk."

USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
played by:
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A