Blood and Iron

Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Barrett
Senior Staff

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:44 am

OOC: Bringing aboard the new PNCP character for the intelligence department....

[[RMS Shadow Song]]
[Intelligence Center, 1100, Day 3]

Lt. Zarrian of the Maran Intelligence service sat watching the stars zip by. They were currently on thier way to a Federation starbase where he would be transferred to the USS Malinche; the same ship that Mark Grayson had been on previously. Zarrian pulled at his collar, he always hated the regular duty uniforms of the Maran Navy, they were simply too stuffy for his taste.

He turned around, catching a glimpse of himself in one of the rooms many display screens. Standing at an rather unimposing 5'6, Zarrian was a little on the short side for a Maran. He had short close cropped black hair and blue eyes. Like all Marans, Zarrian was well defined and muscled. At the moment he was trying to figure out why he had been yanked from his current assignment and sent on this one.

The doors opened, admitting Nassar (NPC) one of the prime advocators of the recent joint Federation/Maran Omega Directive. Zarrian was less then impressed to see him, although he supposed that it came across very well in his demeanor.

"So glad to see that your mood has improved," Nassar smiled.

"What am I doing here?" Zarrian asked.

"Due to recent developments we need someone with intimate knowledge of our operation on the Malinche, given our limited number of operatives at the moment we decided that it would be best to send you."

"The Malinche?" Zarrian asked. "Isn't that the ship that Kiral (NPC) is stationed?"

Nassar nodded. "Indeed, although at the moment she is not cleared for anything to do with the Omega Directive."

"I see, and what about the new intelligence cheif on the Malinche?"

"You and Lt. Barrett are ordered to breif him at the earliest convinece, you'll be reactiving your Stafleet comission...I'm not sure what Stafleet rank you will have but you'll still maintain your Maran rank within our now Navy as well."

"Understood, anything else?"

"Becareful Zarrain, the crew of the Malinche is exceptionally bright and intelligent...they may catch on it."

"And if they do?"

"We'll deal with that when we have too. I'd get some sleep if I were you, we'll be arriving in a few hours."

OFF:

Lt. Zarrian played by:
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Abubakar
Senior Staff
Location: A hole, usually, sometimes referred to as Blackpool (UK)

Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:41 pm

OOC: Takes place in the lunch recess of the trial

ON:
<<Courtroom Proceedings, Starbase 257 - 1200hours, MD03>>

Cameron smiled politely and excused himself from the small crowd of legal representatives and spectators whom he had been conversing with. His mind felt numb with the morning?s progress, the considerable forward being the stricken testimony regarding Jim Benson. He had been itching to argue in favor of the security officer but having been put in his place in a courtroom, realized it was impossible. At least Yrel had gotten his message, he had noticed her reading the PaDD over earlier on - it was enough to brighten his mood slightly. With a sighing contemplation he made his way into the corridor and through the door to the head, deciding a little cold water on his face couldn't hurt.

Captain Saxon kept a close eyeball on the good Doctor, and when he slipped away from the crowd, the opportunity was perfect. He quickly crossed the room and followed the closing doors. Stepping into a bathroom, he coughed. "Doctor Fairbairn" he said with a smile, extending his hand.

Before being able to make his way into a stall, the doctor was startled by the noise. He turned round to lock eyes with the defense attorney, one Captain Saxon, and blinked. "Captain...can I help you?" His voice was ginger, nervous but sure enough he held the hand shake.

Saxon smiled and let go of the Doctor. "Perhaps, Lieutenant" he started, intentionally dropping the title of Doctor. "I'm curious...you've met Lieutenant Jaran, what do you make of him?" He didn't take his gaze away from Camerons eyes, not for a second, he was treading on thin ice, and he needed to be able to get out of the conversation quickly if the doctor didn't bite.

Cameron straightened his duty jacket a little, feeling somewhat undignified and unprofessional. He had the feeling that Saxon wasn't exactly a bad man. But he was completely in contempt of most lawyers - particularly Fleeters. He coughed to clear his throat. "I'm not sure we're allowed to discuss this, Captain." There was a hesitation, then he gave in a little. "But what I can tell you is that your client will be lying with a heavy head when suffering the stress of the case on the stand. It'll affect him deeply and physically."

Saxon smiled again and then his face turned dead serious. He took off his comm. badge and held it up for Fairbairn to see, he then tossed it onto the sink units. "I'm not interested in what Lieutenant Jaran will be doing, or suffering from, what I'm interested in, is what has passed already, Doctor."

Cameron bit his lip nervously then sat, leaning back against a sink and folding his arms. He couldn't keep his eyes from the door as he knocked. "Your client suffers from temporal psychosis, Captain." He murmured softly, concerned about the circumstances.

Saxon nodded, it was good, he had Fairbairn talking. "I'm not a doctor." he stated. "In Terran, please?" he squeezed the bridge of his knows as the tiredness of the last day of case research was catching up with him.

Cameron found himself slinging into Doctor mode, explaining symptoms as if to a patient. "It's a delusionary form, a mental state that occurs when the situation in your body is altered. Now - think of your adrenaline flow." He lifted his hands and pointed to the attorney's chest. "It begins in your heart once your brain releases your chemicals and then flows upward." His finger moved slowly to the front of the mans cranium. "To your brain, causing your reactions and feelings to differ accordingly, increasing your heart rate and impulsive tendancies. This is a general cause of psychosis amongst fighters or soldiers. It causes a delirium when there's no need for it and continuously pummels the brain with hallucinations, memories...everything. This is what Jaran suffers constantly. He is in two places at one time and borderlining schitzophrenia. Borderlining. I believe this has been developing in him for a long time."

Saxon nodded thoughtfuly, watching the Doctors fingers intently. "So..." he began, "you're saying that the Lieutenant, was not in control of his actions, and didn't have any command over what you and I would consider normal ethics, when he..." he struggled to find the words. "Did, what he did...?"

"He had no sense of moral judgement - he acted impulsively." Cameron drew back into his defensive posture. "That's what I'm saying, but while he was doing it he was fully aware of the circumstances around him."

Saxon narrowed his eyes. "I find that diagnosis....conflicting, Doctor..." he said, an air of warning starting to show in his voice. "Was he in control, or not?"

"Nobody knows but he himself, Captain." Cameron stated flatly. "The psychosis is a deteriorating symptom until conditioned properly. After all, conditioning is what caused it in the first place."

Saxon laughed briefly, conveying his annoyance. "Doctor..." he began. "Perhaps I need to make myself clearer...Lieutenant Jaran, couldn't possibly have been in control, or even sane, when he committed those acts...could he?" Saxon was giving the Doctor a chance to pull up from the nose dive, lest he need to start leaning on the good doctor properly...

Now it was the Doctors turn to get annoyed. "Probably - it's highly possible." It was all he would give, and all he could truthfully answer.

"Lieutenant" Saxon started, making point of his rank. "That isn't good enough!" Saxon raised a finger and started jabbing the air as he spoke. "Lieutenant Jaran has to be declared medically insane, it has to be said, by a professional, that he was insane even at the time! AM I making myself clear?"

"He doesn't HAVE to be declared anything, Sir!" Cameron shouted. "This is a courts martial, a legal preceding, following evidential establishment. The jury will decide whether the psychosis was an effect of his judgment."

Saxon snapped back, "To hell with the jury!" He began to pace. "I need YOU to say that he was insane, not in control...whatever, when he did it!" Lassitter was likely to paint the doctor up to be this fine moral man, a consummate professional, and if he then said that Jaran wasn't in control at the time...that would be perfect.

"I can't lie, Sir, that's unfair." He sighed. "But these diagnostics are enough to sway anybody. They're enough. And if you don't think so then they'll have to be."

Saxon shook his head. "No Doctor... No." he lowered his voice to a whisper. "I can't take that risk in the courtroom." He looked to the side before looking back. "You know...the Malinche is a fine ship, Doctor...I'm sure you'd enjoy your assignment there." He left his last statement, ambiguously floating.

Cameron reached out and grabbed Saxon's shoulder - violently tugging him round in a fit of rage. "What the fuck do YOU believe, Captain, eh!?" He snarled, close to him. "Do you believe he was mentally irresponsible?"

Saxon wasn't used to this, and wasn't the sort of man to hit back. "It doesn't matter what I believe in, LIEUTENANT!" he snapped. "What matters is that he is not sent to prison!"

Cameron shrugged away and stepped aside the man. He hated Starfleet - he truly did. Saxon seemed to represent everything that dregged up that resent in him. "I'll see you from the witness stand, Captain. Perhaps, then, you can use justice to scrutinize my medical opinion." The mutter was left hanging in the air - and the doctor made his way back into the courtroom and slumped into his seat.

Saxon straightened his uniform as he watched the Doctor leave. ?Well that was a wasted opportunity? he thought. He stepped out of the bathroom and looked down the hall, walking down to a quiet spot. He tapped his now reattached comm. badge. He knew who the hail was going through to. ?Work up the transfer papers, for Doctor Fairbairn to the Starfleet Transport Corps??

The reply came back quickly: ?Yes sir, shall I transmit them??

?No, not yet, but keep them ready to go?if the good doctor insists on fucking with me, then I?ll fuck with him? we?ll see how he likes curing the sniffles and food poisoning on those grubby long haul freighters for 7 months at a time??

There was a laugh from the other end of the line. ?Yes, Captain Saxon. I?ll have them ready to transmit on your orders.?

Saxon tapped his badge to close the channel and made his way back to the courtroom.

OFF

Captain Saxon
Defense
State V Jaran

and

Doctor (Lt.) Cameron Fairbairn
Chief Medical Officer
U.S.S Malinche
Lieutenant Abubakar Jaran
Deceased
The Anti-Lamb 666
Flying Monk-eh
U.S.S Malinche

"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Sovereign
Senior Staff

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:57 am

<<Recess, Courtroom, Starbase 257, 1200hours, MD3>>

Yrel kept to herself again during the next recess between testimonies. Benson had gotten things off to fast start, allowing the prosecution to whip some early fast balls for the defense to dodge. As much as Yrel had excepted good from the defense, she had to admit that what they did was the mark of skill. A good note to put a dampener on things, seeing how Yrel's heard about the in and out appearences of Benson around the Malinche, trying to gather that much needed information to hang Jaran outside an airlock.

So far, Benson wasn't exactly making a good impression on Yrel for a person she'd like to have a tactical, or covering her back in some dangerous mission. In fact, her impressions on his character, based a lot of indirect information, was not a whole lot better than Jaran's through his instability. Her reason being that at least Jaran came off as having a conscience, rather than the death-for-punishment attitude of Benson.

'The Malinche...now accepting even more asylum-level officers at a starbase near you,' she sighed. The next one of the stand was likely going to be as good a testimony as Benson's, for she doubted the prosecution would bring out their best right away. After that, depending on how this legal 'game' stood, Yrel had the nervous feeling the stand was going to be sitting grounds soon enough. There was no way around the fact that she was in command at the time, and that her interpretation of the events, and of Jaran's character, was going to be thrown out for the hounds to sniff at.

That's why she stayed in her own private corner of the room, building mental strength for the coming emotional tests. She had never heard of a pleasant trial, and already this was proving not to be one...
Lieutenant Yrel Sovereign
Chief Science Officer
& Second Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Barrett
Senior Staff

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:35 am

[[USS Malinche]]
[Messhall, 1110, Day 3]

After an excessive amount of wandering around the ship, Jason found himself at the entrance to the ships mess hall. Looking inside, Jason could see that things were pretty queit, something that Jason as glad for. Stepping into the nearly empty room, he went over to a replicator and ordered a steaming mug of tea....the same tea that Adam (NPC) had introduced him too.

"Last time that I checked you were supposed to be on vacation."

Jason lokoed up to see Joey (NPC) standing there, looking as tanned and toned as ever. Jason could only guess how many ladies he had thus far chased down.

"At the moment, Adam isn't exactly speaking to me."

"Whys that?"

"We had a fight."

Joey arched an eyebrow before taking a seat across from Jason. He was nursing his own drink.

"Aren't you going to ask what happened?"

Joey shrugged. "I figured if you wanted me to know that you would tell me."

Jason was about to respond when his combadge beeped. He tapped it, wondering who could have been contacting him. Techncially he was on leave until the next day.

"Barrett here."

"You have a message coming in from Maran, they aren't giving me a name but say that its urgent."

"Understood, I'll take it my quarters."

"Acknowledged, I'll patch it through."

"I better go get that," Jason said, standing up.

"Alright, I'll stop by later you can tell me all about your wonderful time on Maran."

OFF:
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Rayne
Crewmember
Location: Running away from the penguins that come one by one to steal away my sanity

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:20 am

ON:

<<USS Malinche>>
<Sickbay, 1200 Hours, Day 3>

Was she really asleep? Sara couldn't tell just like with all the other times the dreams occurred. It seemed so real that she didn't realize that it was just a dream. Or was it really a dream this time? It was as though she was seeing a event happening outside the shuttlebay, an event which unbeknownst to her was what caused her to be in sickbay to begin with. This wasn't the first time she had this kind of dream or vision some people would call it. Though it was never this detailed and real. Perhaps it was just her mind dealing with what had happened to her back in the shuttlebay? She had never seen where the zepolaron device was hidden yet there outside shuttlebay within a wall panel was the device being installed by someone wearing an engineering uniform. The person appeared to be a female with dark hair but that was all she could see.

Sara tried to wake up but found it very difficult as though she was being effected by somekind of sedative. She never liked sedatives, she even knew how to resist their effects just like she knew how to resist the other drugs which were fequently used in the Intel business. This was different though, she was already asleep. Why would they give her a sedative when she was asleep? It wasn't nessassary. There had to be a reason for it, but whatever the reason she didn't intend on staying asleep. Sara focused her mind towards purging the sedative from her system. It was in this semi-conscious state she could feel the sedative break down and dissipate. She had done this only once before but for a different reason, survival. Which was what see seemed to be good at now days.

She finally woke to dark and nearly quiet room atleast until her implants activated then she could see around the room better though it was still somewhat quiet. Sara figured someone was probly wondering why the irises of both of her eyes had a glow to them, though when she looked around the room all the patients seemed to be asleep. She didn't know what time it was exactly but figured it was probly early morning or really late in the evening not that it mattered right now. All she wanted to do was get out of sickbay and back to her "normal" life.

OFF:
Ensign Sara Rayne
Acting Assistant Chief Intelligence Officer

USS Malinche-B NCC-38897-B

"Beware The Penguins!"

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:27 pm

<Courtroom during recess, 1205, MD03>

Jack loosened the collar of his dress uniform; he didn?t like the normal one, let alone the one you were supposed to wear for official functions. He found himself standing in the small reception room to the courtroom and looking around at the faces of the many people in attendance at the trial, the last few days had left him feeling somewhat paranoid and throughout the morning?s testimonies he had the feeling someone was watching him.

He walked towards one of the replicators and ordered yet another cup of coffee; he was surely now pushing the limit for what was a healthy number of cups in a 24 hour period. The trial had been interesting, not only had he gained a bit of insight into the accused but also the Malinches chief of security, it was an interesting technique the defense was employing, Jack had to wonder if it would actually pay off.

As he was deep in thought looking around the room he heard a voice come from behind him?

Debora looked around the room? ?Man where the hell have I been?? She felt confused? it seems like only yesterday she just transferred? now she is in her dress uniform at a trial... She gazed and people and saw the Intelligence Officer she met one time ago. ?Hello there?

Jack turned round and, despite the black cloud hanging over his mood at the moment he couldn?t help but smile when he saw who the voice was attached to, ?Hello there to you too, nice uniform?? he said warmly.

Debora looked into his eyes and noticed the mood... "Thanks, but what got you all moody?"

He stepped back and leant against the wall, letting out a sigh before speaking, ?It?s a long and complicated story, and one I have got an ending to yet, but for what it?s worth, I can see why you got out of the grey uniform and into purple. Not to mention this whole trial thing, I dunno, I guess I can see something of myself in Jaran, I have a bit of vested interest in what happens.? He motioned towards the sling around his injured arm, ?and oh yeah, my arm hurts.? He offered Debora a half smile, ?sorry you asked??

Debora looked at him after hearing him spill... "Remind me... which one of us is female?"

He once glanced out across the room, trying to see if anyone was watching him, ?Well, ya did ask?would you rather I was all manly and lied and said ?nothing???

"No, I would rather you man up to the issue you currently contemplating about. And as for Gray to Purple?how do you know I actually changed?"

?I guess I?m choosing to trust you Debora, are you saying I shouldn?t??

Debora looked at him and grinned, "Honestly you shouldn't trust anyone..."

?So they say, but it leads to a fairly lonely existence wouldn?t you say? You don?t want end up like Mr. Jaran now do you??

"Fuck Jaran" Debora said with ease, "And I am not saying be lonely like your paranoid Chief. It is just you need to recognize there are different levels of trust...different forms of it... thing is most people only know that one"

?And which one of those levels should I place you in?? He said smiling at the Lt as he returned his now empty mug to the replicator.

"You need to ask yourself that first and recognise there are trust variants..."

Jack turned and looked deep into the diplomats brown eyes, ?I?m a good judge of character, you have to be in my line of work, I?ve read your service report and I can see in your eyes, you?re a fundamentally good person, now I?m not saying I trust you completely, but I trust you more than I trust most people who have worn grey at any point?

"You are such a sap" Debora said grinning.

He gave Debora a wry smile, ?but come on, admit it, ya like me??

Debora looked at him, "Now what is that supposed to mean?"

?As far as intelligence officers go, I?m not so bad, I can smile at least.? He smiled broadly to prove the point.

"Nice save... alright I'll cave" She grinned, "I like ya."

?Glad to hear it? He returned the grin, ?and sorry, I?ve yet to ask how you are? How are you finding the trial??

Debora looked at him. "I got it... tell me how I am and what I think of this trial..."

He smiled, ?I?m a former detective turned Starfleet junior intelligence officer, not a betazoid??

"Oh god that is a pitiful excuse." Debora grinned, "May I remind you I knew something was up your ass even when you gave me that obviously fake smile?"

?Hey, the smile was genuine, I was pleased to see you? He said this with a look of mock hurt on his face, truth was he really was glad to see her when he turned round, he knew if anyone could distract him and hopefully make him smile, it would be her.

"Hey what are friends for"

?If its making me smile and distracting me from the myriad of problems I mentioned, that you?ve done a good job, thanks a lot? He offered the Lieutenant a warm, genuine smile.

=Λ= Station Ops to Lieutenant Hawkins, incoming message for you, its deemed urgent =Λ=

He sighed, ?I guess I?d better take this, I'll try and catch you later?

Debora nodded, "Whatever... don't overwork yourself"
?I?ll try my best? he said as he smiled and entered the turbolift, ?Oh and Debora?? He called out causing the Lieutenant to turn back towards him, ?I like you too? He said with a wink just as the lift doors swished closed?

Debora continued to look at him and when the doors closed she shook her head, smiling. "God he has so much to learn!"

A JP by

Lieutenant JG Debora Angelini
Chief Diplomatic Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

and
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:33 pm

<<Starbase 259, 1224, Day 3>>

Britny (PNPC) walked through one of the many corridors of the Starbase, her eyes wide. She'd seen many things on Direidi, but nothing like this. She tried her best to appear confident, as everyone else around her did, but she couldn't help but feel out of place. Everyone seemed to know where they were going and why - they had a purpose. Britny did not.

Overall, Britny found the whole experience very exciting; there was so much to see and learn. She didn't know anyone who'd left Direidi before. Part of her felt homesick, missing her home, family, and friends.

She stopped suddenly as the corridor opened up into what she guessed was the Promenade. It certainly matched the descriptions of a Promenade that she'd heard the other crewmembers going on about, when they weren't talking about Jaran's trial.

So many people... So many stores and restaurants. Britny hardly knew where to start. Looking around, she finally decided to simply start off to her left and circle around.

Taking a deep breath and straightening her shoulders, Britny started off on her tour of the Promenade. The first shop she came to had paintings and other various decorations. She smiled as a beautiful crystal caught her eye. A light shone down on it, casting different colored rays in every direction.

Continuing through the store, Britny saw a few paintings that caught her eye; they reminded her of home. Her eyes welled up as she thought of home, but she quickly blinked back the tears threatening to break loose. After a deep breath and another glance at the paintings, she turned to leave.

An elderly man was standing right in front of her as she turned, blocking her path. "I'm sorry, excuse me sir."

The man smiled at her, "They stirred something up in you, didn't they?" He gestured towards the paintings.

Hesitating a moment, she nodded. "Home. They remind me of home."

"First assignment, I take it?"

"Yes. Actually a crew came to my planet, and when they were leaving, I asked to go with them," Britny explained.

He nodded, "Never been away from home, have you?"

Shaking her head, Britny replied, "No, this is the first time. It's very...different. Interesting though. I miss my friends and family...and home in general."

"I understand, young lady," the man said with a knowing smile. "Do you want them?"

"I...I don't have any latinum," Britny replied.

He chuckled, "That's quite alright. I'm the shopkeeper. I know what it's like to be a long way from home, m'dear. Pick out the paintings you want, that crystal you had your eye on, and be sure to look through the music boxes - perhaps one of them will remind you of home as well."

Britny blinked, "Are you sure? I don't want to be any trouble."

"Not at all. Think of it as a gift, from one homesick old man to a young lady on a new journey. And if I may offer a suggestion?"

"Yes?" Britny looked at him.

"See if one of the engineers can make a holodeck program for you of your home. It won't be quite the same, but it will help," he smiled encouragingly.

Britny smiled back and impulsively hugged the man, "Thank you. It means so much to me."

As she left the store with two paintings, a crystal, and a music box, Britny started to feel more comfortable. There were good people out there, people willing to help, people that were kind. Things were looking up.

OFF: PNPC post by

Crewman Britny Liras
Captain's Yeoman
USS Malinche, NCC-38897-B

played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Barrett
Senior Staff

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:12 am

[[USS Malinche]]
[Barrett's Quarters, 1115, Day 3]

When Jason returned to his quarters he was slightly surprised to see that Adam (NPC) was gone. Jason guessed that he had gone down to sickbay, probably to get back to work just as much as clear his head. Not that Jason really blamed him, he was dreading actually talking to Adam about what had happened on Maran.

Sitting down at his desk, he activated his terminal and punched in the correct code, openning the secure channel. He wasn't really sure who it was that was contacting him, although he knew had a sneaky feeling that it had something to do with the Marans.

"Lt. Barrett?"

Jason noted the young man on the screen wore the black uniform of the Maran Navy, the silver bars on his collar marked him as a memeber of the intelligence division. Jason had seen enough of those officers for awhile.

"Something that I can help you with?"

"Perhaps, I'm Zarrian, your new intelligence contact within the Omega Directive. I'll be arriving later today and I have the first batch of scans and specs from that ship recovered on Maran."

"What happened to Mr. Grayson?"

"Mr. Grayson has been re-assigned, I'll be your contact from now on. When I arrive we need to prepare a breifing for your acting intelligence cheif."

"Hawkins?"

"Yes," Zarrian nodded. "Due to recent events he, and only he, has been cleared to recieve information concerning the Omega Directive."

Jason nodded, although he would say that he was surprised. What made the Marans change their mind, Jason didn't know...and didn't know if he wanted to know. Part of him was sure that Amanda had something to do with it.

"I look forward to meeting with you when I come aboard...just be sure to be ready to work, we aren't going to have much time for pleasentries."

Jason nodded again as Zarrian cut the channel, leaving him staring at a blank screen. Sighing heavily, he sunk back in his chair; wondering exactly what he had gotten himself into.

OFF:
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hunt
Senior Staff

Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:43 pm

<<USS Malinche>>
[Bridge, 1155, Day 3]

Mason was on the bridge, conducting his rounds as he did just about every day. The Captain was away on the base for the trial. He could help but wonder how it was going since he had not yet heard anything from the skipper in sometime.

?Computer, time please.? He asked. ?The current time is 1155 hours.? Replied the computer. It was nearly lunch time at for him any way so he decided to have lunch on the base perhaps even hoping to catch up with Kersare.

?Ensign Sychorski(NPC) you have the bridge I will be on the base if needed and contact engineering about the display console on science station one it?s a bit out of alignment. ? said Mason entering the lift. ?Transporter room one.? He said as the lift came to life.

Hunt got out and entered the transporter room finding a bunch of technicians working on a nearby panel and platform pad. ?Is there something wrong with the transporter?? he asked looking at them in a puzzled state. ?No sir, just doing some fine tuning that?s all where to sir?? asked the young man.

?One to beam over to the base please.? Said Mason. The technician nodded briefly and walked over to the console entering in coordinates, ?Ready sir.? He said. ?Are you sure this thing won?t fall apart during transport.? He asked smiling and hearing the group laugh aloud. ?Energize.? Said Mason vanishing and soon finding himself on the base.

=/\=Hunt To Kersare=/\=

OFF: Tag Kersare
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:54 pm

<<Starbase 259, Courtroom, 1302, Day 3>>

Hearing her name called, Isabel took a breath and stood. She walked confidently to the witness stand, glancing over at Jaran as she did. He certainly didn't look very good, but that wasn't overly surprising considering some of the treatment he received. Once she arrived at her destination, she turned around and faced the courtroom.

Arthur stood and nodded to her as she was sworn in.

"Captain Kersare. You've heard the testimony of several fine officers among your staff here in these proceedings. Perhaps you could help shed a bit more light on this subject." Lassiter said, folding his hands behind his back.

Saxon picked up another PaDD and opened up the input screen, Kersare was a witness that was going to be damned hard to get round. He was sure that the good Doctor would testify to his advantage, and that the young Lieutenant Sovereign could be pressured into fumbling up her own testimony, and if he could get this Hawkins fellow on the stand, things would work out well - but Captain Kersare was not going to be easy.

"Captain, I'm curious. On the stardate in question, did you leave Lieutenant Jaran in charge of the bridge?" He asked her.

"Yes, Lieutenant Abubakar was left in charge," she answered.

"And was he left with orders to carry out?" He asked.

"He was to ascertain what happened to the USS Sirion," Isabel kept her gaze on Art.

"I see. Did he carry out these orders?" He asked her.

Isabel nodded, "Yes."

"And what action did he take upon learning the fate of the USS Sirion?" He asked her.

"Mr. Abubakar contacted me on Direidi," she replied.

"And then?" He asked.

"He explained what he had found out, at which point I gave new orders. Mr. Abubakar then refused to carry out my orders and was sent to the brig for insubordination."

"Did Mister Jaran lodge a formal complaint with you to be noted in the log?" He asked.

"Or did he specifically go against your orders and openly refuse to carry them out?" Art asked, wanting clarification.

Isabel said, "There was no formal complaint made. Lieutenant Abubakar openly refused to carry my orders out, commented that I was "in error" and removed himself from duty. With his comment, I considered it insubordination and ordered he be removed from the bridge and taken to the brig at whichpoint he commented that I would regret it."

Saxon looked up at Jaran in alarm, he hadn't been told about that little number.

"So he threatened you?" He asked.

Isabel paused a moment before answering, "Some would consider it a threat, though from Mr. Abubakar it's just as likely to have been a warning of sorts."

"A warning to you that you would regret performing a perfectly legal and correct action aboard your own starship? Sounds like a threat to me Captain." Art said.

"Let me rephrase - I don't feel it was a direct threat of bodily harm," she clarified.

Saxon relaxed slightly at hearing the Captains words, he breathed a sight of relief.

"I see... So perhaps not a threat against you personally... but against someone else. Perhaps the ship?" He asked.

"Possibly. I can't read Lieutenant Abubakar's mind so I can't say for sure," Isabel replied.

"After he was placed in the brig, what happened then Captain?" Art asked, moving on.

"I had Lieutenant Sovereign take command. The events directly surrounding Mr. Abubakar between then and the time I returend to the ship I've only heard second hand." Mostly like Art would call someone else to the stand regarding those events, at least that was what Isabel guessed. Somehow she didn't think the judge would appreciate hearing second-hand testimony.

"The result however is verifiable isn't it Captain?" Art asked.

She nodded, "Yes. As I said, the events leading up to it I did not witness; I only saw the aftermath once I returned to the ship."

"And the aftermath was what?" He asked

"The ship was damaged, one shuttle was missing, another was destroyed, three crewmembers were killed, and more were injured."

"And where was Mister Jaran?" He asked.

"With the missing shuttle and a few other crewmembers," she said.

"And he was leading them correct?" Art asked.

"From what I understand, yes," Isabel replied.

"So he disagreed and flatly disobeyed your orders by refusing to carry them out. Then somehow broke out of the brig, broke into the shuttlebay with several followers, and escaped. During the process three other crew members were killed. Is that correct?" Lassiter asked her.

"I cannot confirm who actually came up with the plan, or the methods used. One of the crewmembers killed was in the shuttle that was destroyed, presumably someone that was helping Lieutenant Abubakar. The other two were not involved from what I know," Isabel responded.

"But you do confirm that the Jaran was not in the brig, he did break out, and was part if not the leader of the group." He said, getting a bit frustrated.

"That much I feel I can confirm, yes," she said. Art didn't seem overly happy with her responses, but Isabel also wasn't going to testify to events she hadn't witnessed.

"So the end result. The entire situation boiled down to him disobeying your orders. Being thrown in the brig. He then somehow removed himself from the brig. After all this, he and a group of others stole a shuttle. During all this time, three crew members found their death. Is that correct?" He asked her.

"Two shuttles," she stated.

"Ah two shuttles. The rest is indeed correct though." He stated, waiting for her confirmation.

Isabel nodded, "Yes."

"No more questions." Art said, walking back to his table.

Isabel was a bit surprised that the prosecution's questioning had ended already, but she knew the defense attorney would have his chance next. She glanced over at the Defense table and waited.

OFF: JP brought to you by:

CWO3 Art Lassiter
Prosecution

played by:
Lieutenant James Benson III
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:36 pm

<Communication Room 42, Starbase 259, MD03, 1223>

?But I don?t understand admiral?? Jack had arrived at the nearest location with communication terminals for Starbase personnel and had been greeted by the admiral in charge of personnel in the local area.

?What?s not to understand lieutenant? Lieutenant Grayson has been reassigned, and until a suitable replacement has been found you are hereby required to take on his duties as Acting Chief Intelligence Officer? The admiral didn?t seem the sort of person who enjoyed repeating herself, not the Jack believed Vulcans ever enjoyed repeating themselves.

?Reassigned whe?..?

?Lieutenant, I am rather busy and only have the duty of informing of your change in position, not the specifics of you former superiors new posting, please direct any such questions to the Department of Personnel at Starfleet headquarters, good day.?

And with that the screen went blank only the UFP logo remaining in the centre, while Jack wasn?t sorry to see Grayson gone as such, it was a shock, only two days ago he was giving Jack a hard time and telling him he had much to teach him.

He couldn?t help but wonder if whatever forces were at work had arranged for his placement in the big office as a further part of the plan to screw with his head, or maybe there was some other reason for Graysons departure he just didn?t understand right now.

Either way there was nothing he could do right now, the trial was due to restart soon and he had to head back, he?d begin the investigation again as soon as the court martial was concluded for the day, but for now he straightened his dress uniform and began the trek downstairs?
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Barrett
Senior Staff

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:24 pm

[[USS Malinche]]
[Transporter Room 2, 1425, Day 3]

Personally, Jason didn't know why Mason or Captain Kersare wasn't welcoming Zarrian (NPC) onboard. But they were preoccupied by other events and Jason had been ordered too. Wishing that he could at least talk to Adam (NPC) Jason was more then slightly annoyed at having to babysit the new intelligence officer.

"Energize," Jason ordered.

Moments later, Zarrian appeared on the transport platform, standard issue Starfleet duffel slung over his shoulder.

"Welcome to the USS Malinche."

"Let's dispense with the plesentries shall we, is Mr. Hawkins around?"

"He's currently in a court martial." Jason remarked, as they left the transporter room. "I have orders to get you settled in and..."

"Then show me around on a tour, been there done that. I memorized the schematics of the Malinche on my way over, I won't be needing that tour."

"Maybe something to eat then," Jason responded, resiting every urge to pummel the young Maran in the corridor.

"No, we need to get to work on our briefing. I am assuming that Mr. Hawkins will have a great deal of questions."

"What happened to Grayson?"

Zarrian shrugged as they made thier way into the turbolift.

"Deck 4," Zarrian said, noting the curious look that Jason gave him. "I told you, I memorized the schematics on the way over. Deck 4 is where you intelligence center is, right?"

"Yes, now about Grayson...."

"Grayson was re-assigned. His expertise as needed else where and given the fact that I know as much about Omega as Grayson, more so in some cases, I was choosen as his replacement to act between you and Hawkins and the Maran government."

"You're really not going to tell me what happened to Grayson, are you?"

"No."

Jason again resisted the urge to reach out and punch the arrogant Maran in the face; he had never met one that was so balant in his arrogance. Most Marans were reserved and humble, not like the man that he was currently in the turbolift with.

OFF:
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hunt
Senior Staff

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:04 pm

<<Starbase 259, 1310, Day 3>>

Dematerializing on the platform, Mason did not see a soul in sight. Which was unusual since there was to be someone at the controls at all times. He heard some banging just around the corner from where he was standing and saw the chief up to his arms in isolinear chips.

You, know chief I could have you put on report for abandoning your post during a transport.? Said Mason frowning. The young woman got up and hit head causing it to bleed a little bit. ?I am sorry sir I was running a full diagnostic and accidently left the unit on active control. Again I am sorry and welcome aboard.? She said with a nervous smile.

?At ease, chief I was just joking with you believe it or not I did the very same thing when I was your age except it was an admiral that had just beamed over.? He said watching her guilt leave with a smile on her face.

Mason walked out to a corridor filled with people running to and from, the movement subsided a bit as most where debarking from the base. An ensign walked passed him and since Mason had no idea where the court room was he stopped the ensign.

?Excuse me where is the base courtroom pleas.? He asked. ?Take that lift and follow it across. There is a session going on so you may wish to remain outside and have a seat on the benches.? She replied going about her business.

The lift let Hunt off and he saw a large green bench, he was not only a bit tired but felt it was the best place to wait for Kersare.

OFF: Tag Kersare
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Rayne
Crewmember
Location: Running away from the penguins that come one by one to steal away my sanity

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:42 am

ON:

<USS Malinche-B>>
<Sickbay, 1310 Hours, Day 3>

Sitting nearly alone and quietly in sickbay wasn't exactly the best thing Sara could be doing with her time but it certainly beat trying to go back to sleep right now. Hell she wasn't tried after sleeping that long anyways, still once she was out of the sickbay Sara intended on getting some time in one of the holodecks. The lights were still mostly off except those on the consoles and all the patients were asleep. She was just about to reach over to the small counter nearby for a PaDD when the HUD projection from her implants popped up with the words warning blinking on and off. It was in that moment the thermal imaging activated and she could see why there there had been a warning message. There was someone moving towards her, whom it was she couldn't tell but it didn't matter. All that mattered was the fact this person was armed with what had to be a knife.

Taking little time to act Sara twisted up and off of the biobed, just as her assailant thrusted the knife into the biobed she had once been sitting on. In those few seconds she leaped upwards then kicked her right leg downwards into the attacker's shoulder knocking him or her down to the floor. Sara also landed on the floor but her attacker seemed to not be moving though she could tell that he or she was still alive but apparently knocked out from the force of the blow. She looked around as the lights suddenly came on spotting a few of the patients standing up in the room probly wondering what just happened. Atleast now she could tell it had been a female who attacked her. Possibly the same one Sara had seen in that dream/vision of her's.

"Someone call security and let them know whats going on in here." Sara said reaching down to her attacker's belt removing what she was almost certain had to be a personal cloaking device. The knife was still imbeded in the biobed and she knew someone was certain to be upset about that. Though after all of what happened she didn't seem all together in shock or phased by what had occured just greatly annoyed. "Atleast I might be able to get out of sickbay sooner." Sara thought looking down towards her attacker still as a security detail walked in.

OFF: Tags to Security.
Ensign Sara Rayne
Acting Assistant Chief Intelligence Officer

USS Malinche-B NCC-38897-B

"Beware The Penguins!"

Abubakar
Senior Staff
Location: A hole, usually, sometimes referred to as Blackpool (UK)

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:32 am

<<Starbase 259, Courtroom, 1327, Day 3>>

Captain Saxon stood up slowly, contemplating the first move on this new chess board. "Captain Kersare" he began, slowly walking towards the witness stand.

"What, I ask, is your opinion of Lieutenant Jaran?" He left it an open question, hoping Kersare would play into the 'trap' that he could capitilise upon later.

"Professionally, or personnally?" Isabel looked back at James, waiting for clarifcation.

He smiled and tried to decide, "Professionally Captain". Saxon said to Isabel. He walked over to the defense table as he spoke and picked up another PaDD, sensing that the first idea wasn't going to work all too well

Isabel paused a moment to gather her thoughts, "He's a good pilot and has a good deal of knowledge. However, he also has a temper and a tendency to do things without thinking."

Saxon nodded, trying not to allow the inward smile to show outwardly. "Such as deliberately attack his colleagues? Or has he not done that before, Captain?"

"He did assault a Security Officer on our last mission, and threatened another," she replied. Those were the only instances she was aware of.

"Allow me to clarify, Captain Kersare" Saxon's smiled outwardly this time, patronisingly. "Has he attacked members of the crew before he returned from the Green Inferno mission?"

Isabel kept a straight face as he smiled; she didn't like James. "No, at least nothing that was brought to my attention."

"I see". Saxon paced a bit, "And personally, then too please Captain?"

"I feel he's a good, yet troubled man. Unpredictable at times. More of a loner, overall." She glanced at Jaran, then looked back at James.

Jaran looked at Kersare as she spoke. 'Cheers' he thought sarcastically.

Saxon nodded again before continuing. "And going from your earlier testimony, there was a particular threat endangering the Malinche at the time wasn't there Captain? A threat that Lieutenant Jaran didn't see fit to continue exposing the crew to?"

"No," she replied.

Saxon checked his reports. "It says here, Captain, that there was a Borg vessel in the system, is the report incorrect?" he asked in a very condescending manner.

Isabel remained composed, disliking the defense attorney more each time he spoke, "Yes, there was."

"And you don't find a Borg vessel a threat, Captain Kersare?" Saxon asked, narrowing his eyes in mock confusion.

"A Borg vessel is a threat if it's acting in a hostile manner. They certainly would have known we were there, most likely before we knew of their presence. Had they wished to pursue the Malinche, they would have done so immediately, not sit around and wait," she replied.

Saxon was glad, it appeared that she had played right into his hands without him needing to try as hard as he'd planned he'd have to. "So the Borg are not a threat in your opinion." He said, moving on very quickly to cut off any response. "You have a somewhat personal connection to the Borg, do you not Captain?" Saxon stabbed at her with the words, hoping to cause visible distress.

"The Borg are a threat, in general, but I did not feel they were an immediate threat in this case," Isabel stated. "I don't know what you would consider a 'somewhat personal connection', and I don't see how that is relevant to Lieutenant Abubakar's actions."

Saxon quickly came back; "Your husband was killed by them, wasn't he Captain?" He moved closer. "I'd call that personal" He locked eyes with her.

"If you're done questioning me regarding Lieutenant Abubakar, I don't see why I'm still on the stand," Isabel replied, looking at the judge and wondering if he would allow the line of questioning to continue.

Clarkson looked on, he had enough faith in the Captain's line of questioning to not interrupt so far, but the line was steadily approaching.

"Captain Kersare, please answer the question." Saxon said flatly. He was frustrated that what had seemed so much like an easy strike had turned into an uphill battle with the Captain avoiding questions like a guilty child.

"No, he wasn't," she stated matter-of-factly. The whole thing was ridiculous - the line of questioning was completely irrelevant, and Isabel didn't appreciate the attempt at turning things on her.

"Yes, he was Captain. As the records can clearly state." Saxon was trying to contain his rising frustration. "Do you not think that your orders were flawed? That the actions that set off this unfortunate chain of events, was in fact a Lieutenant interested in the wellbeing of his crewmates, going against his Commanding Officer who was unstable in a position where she was facing the Borg?"

Clarkson's eyes went wide open. "Captain Saxon, this had better be going somewhere fast." He warned.

"First off, my husband was not killed by the Borg. He was killed by a fellow crewmember. Second, I stand by my orders, which I might add, are not on trial here." Isabel took a breath before continuing, "I was not unstable, I assessed the information given to me and acted accordingly. Also, Lieutenant Abubakar and the group who helped him *chose* to break him out of the brig, fire upon their fellow crewmembers, and steal two shuttles - ultimately leading to the deaths of 3 crewmembers, damage to my ship, and many other crewmembers injured."

Saxon barely stopped himself from shouting. "No Captain! Your orders may not be on trial, but who lies as responsible for the deaths of three members of your crew are, the reasons Lieutenant Jaran acted, are! The record states, a series of questionable orders and decisions, pointing to the conclusion, Captain, that you *wanted* to fight them. That *is* it, isn't it Captain? Revenge"

"I don't see where the record states that there are 'questionable orders and decisions'. I made decisions based on the information I had, and also left orders that I be made aware of any new developments, at whichpoint I could reassess the situation. Your arguement that I wanted to fight them is completely ridiculous. If I wanted to fight them, why would I come directly to Starbase 259? The ship was damaged, but not the weapons or shielding - not the portions that would have prevented the Malinche from being battle-worthy. Before you accuse me of something, I suggest you consider if it makes any sense first," Isabel replied. She was beginning to consider how far a complaint against the judge would get, for not stopping the insane line of questioning.

Saxon snapped up to his full height, ignoring her second statement, he read from the PaDD. "Then allow me to enlighten you. First you take virtually the entire Senior Staff into a potentialy hostile situation, then place a mentally unbalanced Lieutenant in command, then leave the Malinche without a senior staff in proximity to a Borg vessel, then once said Lieutenant is removed from command, you place a Science Officer in command, who was clearly not competetant enough to quell an escape in progress. Does the blame for the resulting situation not lay firmly with yourself Captain? Are you not in fact perhaps even guilty yourself of manslaughter?" He let that one hang in the air...

"Captain Saxon!" Clarkson boomed. "Do you have any further questions for the witness?"

"No sir," Saxon replied.

"If I may, your honor," Isabel waited to see a nod from the judge, "I had no reason to believe Mr. Abubakar was mentally unbalanced at the time, nor do I believe it's actually been proven here that he is. The assaults were brought to my attention after the mission. As far as the Senior Staff, yes, a good portion of them were on Direidi, however, we had no reason to believe that the situation on the planet was hostile - the Sirion's away team was simply missing, as was the ship. Lieutenant Sovereign is a perfectly capable officer and did everything she could in the situation. It's rather difficult to completely stop an escape that has been carefully planned."

She continued, "I have done nothing wrong - I assessed the situation with the information given me and made decisions accordingly. Lieutenant Abubakar and those who helped him didn't have to carry out the actions they did. However, they *chose* to break Mr. Abubakar out of the Brig, they *chose* to shoot at fellow crewmembers, and they *chose* to steal shuttles and leave the Malinche. Further, if they were so concerned about their fellow crewmates, I would think they wouldn't inflict harm on them and would not have fled to this Starbase, and then would not have tried to flee from this Base."

Clarkson looked at the Captain. In truth, he could certainly see some of the logic in Saxon's argument. "You are excused Captain Kersare." He said flatly, staring at her. "We will take a 15 minute recess." He stood up and that damned clerk shouted 'all rise' again.

Jaran looked down, he couldn't face looking at Kersare. He wanted to not be shot, sure, but not for Kersare to have her decisions questioned like that.

A JP by:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
U.S.S Malinche
NCC 88897 B

and

Captain James Saxon
For the Defense of State Vs Jaran

played by:
Lieutenant Abubakar Jaran
Deceased
The Anti-Lamb 666
Flying Monk-eh
U.S.S Malinche

"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet