Blood and Iron

Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Peters
Senior Staff

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:59 pm

ON: <Starbase 259, Pleck's Restaurant, 1409, Day 3>

"No," Peters repeated for what seemed like the hundredth time, "I do not want to try the gagh. Nor do I want to try the hasperat. And I most certainly do not want to try the Ferengi Tube Grubs. All I want is a serving of Lasagna, some garlic bread, and a glass of Sprite. Is that so hard to understand?" He swore to himself that if he had to deal with this waiter much longer he'd have to take drastic action.

"But sir," the Ferengi waiter insisted, "Surely such an upstanding member of Starfleet as yourself wants nothing but the finest cuisine in the galaxy. Lasagna is such a plain dish compared to some of our other offerings. Perhaps I can interest you in a boiled Taspar Egg?"

"Look, my friend," Peters began, feeling more than a little frustrated, "I don't know what a Taspar Egg is and I don't want to find out today. Where I'm from, Lasagna is considered fine cuisine. I want a plate of lasagna. No Taspar Egg."

"Then perhaps some Spring Wine to accentuate the flavor?" the toad-like Ferengi began. Peters glared at him. The Ferengi stammered into silence and winced.

"No spring wine. I'm here for lunch, not a tab that will cost a month's pay. And if you don't bring me what I ordered, I'll tell, Pleck was it? I'll tell Pleck that you gave me a 10% discount on my meal. How would you like to deal with that, hrm?"

The Waiter gulped and backed away a few steps. "Of course, sir. Your lasagna and Sprite will be right out."

He began to shuffle off, then Peters thought of something else and called after him, "And DON'T add the gratuity in. I want real service, not to be charged top dollar for whatever you feel like doing."

He could see the waiter wince as he continued shuffling towards the kitchen. Just then another person sat down at the chair across from Peters'. "My my my, you certainly have a way with Ferengi, don't you Todd?"

Peters blinked and did a double take. "Loni? What in the name of Betazed are you doing here?"

His sister laughed and gave him a swat on the arm. "My group stopped here for supplies on our way to Sherman's Planet. I saw the Malinche was on the list of docked ships and thought I'd say 'hi'. No one on your ship knew where you'd headed off to, but the Starbase computer was quite helpful... even gave me directions."

Peters grinned. "Yeah, they're good for that at least. So... care to join me for lunch? Assuming I can get the waiter back over here?"

"Love to," she replied as she waved the waiter over.

OFF:
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Akios
Crewmember

Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:48 am

[Deck 4A, crew quarters, 1830 MD3]

Later on, after they had returned to their quarters, Drochlo dropped into his bunk while Akios started changing into the one piece tunic he had started wearing to bed.

"I can't believe you didn't warn me that C'eltor was coming!" Drochlo complained, massaging his chin folds. "I thought I was going to have at least one heart attack. With your eyesight you must have seen her coming!"

"I did. But she's el-aurian. If I had warned you, she would have noticed, and it would have made her more suspicious than she was already. The only way you can have a chance of fooling one of them is to be absolutely convinced of the innocence of your actions."

"Really?" Drochlo stopped and looked over at the aurelian. "Huh. You're getting ready for bed already? And what's that stuff supposed to mean, anyway?"

"It's been a couple of long days. I feel like relaxing, but there's still a waiting list for the holodecks, and I don't feel like finding one on the starbase. And to answer your question, el-aurians have senses that go beyond the norm, you know? Just like I have better eyesight. They notice things everyone else misses, but might be able to see if it was pointed out to them. I've heard that sometimes their senses can go even further. But while that makes el-aurians seem to be a bit nosy, they're also nonconfrontational. Those same sensory perceptions make them aware of the effect they have if they cross too far into another person's private space. They'll peel you like an onion if you give them enough openings. Don't give them an opening, and they'll stop. The trick lies in knowing how to give off the right vibes that say 'I'm hiding something, but it's personal and harmless. Don't pry.'"

"And you know how to do that? Can you teach me?"

"If I taught you, I'd have to teach Starfleet Intelligence too," he said, and started running a preening brush through his feathers.

"I can never tell when you're joking," Drochlo said, and laid back down.

"You're right, I'm kidding. I'd never tell Intel," Akios said. "Actually, I come from a long line of politicians and diplomats back on Aurelia. That's why I'm an engineer, by the way. But someone in Aurelian political circles figured out how to handle el-aurians a long time ago. You see, some of what the el-aurians pick up are subtle visual cues, and aurelians are sensitive to those as well. We have a lot of body language that other races have a hard time seeing, stuff that goes all the way back to mating displays in our primitive ancestors. You know, there was a big Federation-sponsored study of Aurelian society about fifteen years ago. It's a hoot--if you're ever interested, I could point out some of the worst errors. Anyway, someone figured out what the el-aurians were seeing, and interpolated a lot of other things. Seems to predict their behavior fairly well, though I wouldn't rely one hundred percent on it.

"Not much I could get out of it, then," Drochlo said. "How much do you think she knows?"

"Wrong question," Akios said. "The question is, does she know anything that will make her feel Lt. Peters should be informed? Like I said, el-aurians are generally nonconfrontational, and since I'm convinced that what we're doing will not endanger the ship, and you haven't come to a decision yet, I think she'll wait at least until you've made up your mind before doing anything. I expect she'll keep a closer eye on us, though."

"I suppose..." Drochlo said, falling silent.

Akios finished his grooming, grabbed a pad and took a seat by the window. "So, what do you think of my plan so far? I'd put the basis matter storage unit behind this wall panel here, once I've rearranged the environmental controls to accommodate it, and the pattern buffer and materialization stage would go right under the chair I'm sitting in."

"I still think you're crazy, but at least you might not be dangerous."

"That's not a 'no way'. I'll take what I can get."

"No promises. I haven't finished reading your specs yet. I'll let you know."

"Don't take too long. It'll be that much harder to do once we leave the starbase."

OFF:

Ensign Drochlo (NPC)
Engineering Officer
Ensign Turuas'ta Akios
Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:09 pm

<Crew Quarters, Deck 76, Starbase 259, MD03, 1134>

He cleared his throat as he pressed the door chime to the Lieutenants door and as the young man opened the door he spoke in a thick Scottish accent, ?Hi there Lieutenant, I?m Doctor Logan,? the man smiled broadly, ?We?ve had an outbreak of the Dalanian flu and I?m just checked everyone on this deck to see if they?ve been affected, mind if I come in??

The security officer gave his approval and stepped aside, allowing the man to step inside, he walked to the small table and opened his medkit, removing a medical tricorder and began scanning the crewman, ?Well? What?s the prognosis doc??

?You?ll live lieutenant, I?m just going to give you a small shot and we?ll have you on the way? Logan once again smiled at the man and reached into medkit once again, this time producing a hypospray, he had chosen a compound that would not only incapacitate the Lt, but also make his short term memory next to useless, he saw no reason to kill this innocent man, he wasn?t a cold blooded killer?.not today.

He stood off to the side of the Lt and adjusted the hypospray, ?For what its worth, I?m sorry about this?? Before the man could utter a question he injected the compound into his arm, just catching him as he collapsed to the floor, ??but I need to borrow your identity for an afternoon.?

He slowly dragged the unconscious man into the small bathroom, propping him up in the sonic shower before leaving and returning with his medkit, he carefully unpacked the contents onto the small surface, insuring everything was neat and perpendicular. He glanced into the mirror; it had been so long he could barely remember what his ?real? face looked like anymore, sometimes it made him almost regret his line of work, but regrets weren?t general encouraged.

He softly picked up the first of the implements he had unpacked and prepared to become someone else once again?

OFF:

"Dr Logan"

played by,
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Rayne
Crewmember
Location: Running away from the penguins that come one by one to steal away my sanity

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:08 am

ON:

<<USS Malinche-B>>
<Sickbay, Day 3, 1134 Hours>

Sara was patient but her patience was at its limit now, she didn't have the time or the willingness to sit around till someone else with a cloaking device tried to kill her. Luckly she managed to procure the device from the assassin before security came to drag whoever she was off to the brig. Sara intended on scrapping it for parts after she reverse-engineered it. Perhaps she could even figure out what rogue faction of section 31 was involved. Why she knew of their existance even seemed to be a failing on their part, after all what they did was not exactly something you would hear about in public. Section 31 for the most part was mostly harmless to her but this rogue faction, more like terrorists were not. They hid themselves under the name of section 31 and let the real section 31 take the blame for what they did. Still Sara didn't like either group, section 31 for the the way they tried to run the show behind the curtains and that terrorist group for the blatently rude way they tried to kill her lately.

No it was time she left the sickbay, sitting there would only tempt them into trying something else. Sara needed to goto her quarters where she was safer then in the sickbay where a nurse could really be one of those terrorists. She stood up from where she had been and walked over to one of the nurses. "Ok I've waited here long enough, tell Doctor Fairbairn when he gets back that I've gone to my quarters and let him know I got tired of waiting here for another person to try and kill me." Sara said before quickly walking away from the nurse before she even thought of stopping her, as she walked right on out of sickbay heading for her quarters. Her duty jacket was left behind in sickbay but she was still had the grey undercoat on. Sara briskly walked towards a turbolift then stepped inside taking the lift to deck six where her quarters were.

<Deck Six, Day 3, 1140 Hours>

Stepping out of the turbolift she made her way over to where her quarters were located then chimed the door in the right sequence to release the locking device she had installed on the door control panel inside. Sara then relocked the door and headed over to her bedroom, where she stripped out of her uniform before walking into the bathroom to take one long shower hoping it would relieve all the stress and soreness she was feeling, after all she deserved a break from it once in awhile didn't she?

OFF:
Ensign Sara Rayne
Acting Assistant Chief Intelligence Officer

USS Malinche-B NCC-38897-B

"Beware The Penguins!"

McKensie
Senior Staff

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:37 pm

<<Starbase 259, Day 3, 1200 hrs>

Stepping off the shuttle Rachel looked around, she'd accepted a transfer to the USS Malinche from the USS Pheonix but she had to admit she missed the friends she'd made there but then that was the Starfleet life. No doubt she'd make new friends aboard the Malinche and would soon call it her new home.

Making her way from the shuttle bay she headed for where the Malinche was docked, she hadn't served aboard a Prometheus class starship before but she was looking forward to it. Having taken Operations Management at the Academy she liked to keep her skills in the Ops department up-to-date so reading up on the specs of the Prometheus class was something she'd done enroute along with answering the usual letters she had from her family.

Approaching the Malinche she showed her orders to the security officer at the airlock before making her way aboard. Making her way to the Counsellors office she dropped off what hand luggage she had before making for her quarters. Finally arriving a few minutes later she dropped her bags on the floor before sending her new CO a message to let her know she was aboard and would be reporting in soon, before heading for the shower.

Right now what she needed was a relaxing shower and as chance to sit down and get familiar with the crew roster before venturing out to introduce herself.
Ensign Rachel McKensie
Chief Counsellor
USS Malinche

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:31 pm

<<Britny's quarters, 1356, Day 3>>

Just as she finished hanging the painting, Britney (NPC) heard her terminal beep. Curious, she turned and walked over to her desk. Britney tucked a stray blonde hair behind her ear and turned on the display.

'New Message' blinked on the screen.

Britney touched the screen to bring up the message. It was from Rear Admiral Livian, a notice of transfer orders. Her eyes quickly skimmed through the information. It seemed the Malinche was receiving a new Chief Counselor...an Ensign Rachel McKensie.

Isabel had mentioned that the Malinche seemed to get a good deal of new crewmembers, so Britny wasn't overly surprised.

Looking a bit closer, Britney realized that the orders had come in about 2 hours prior. By this time, Rachel was probably on board.

"Computer, locate Ensign McKensie," she said.

"Ensign McKensie is in her quarters."

Since she still had a good deal of time before meeting Caleb (NPC) and the others, and since Isabel was occupied with the trial for the time being, Britney thought it might be nice to go and welcome the new counselor. From what she'd seen thus far, the crew could use a good counselor....

Smiling a little to herself, Britney's eyes searched the room for her uniform jacket. Technically it was shoreleave, but she wanted to make a good impression. Spotting it on the back of her chair, Britney retrieved it and slipped it on.

With that, Britney headed out the door towards Rachel's quarters.

OFF: Tag - McKensie!

Crewman Britney Liras
Captain's Yeoman

played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Rayne
Crewmember
Location: Running away from the penguins that come one by one to steal away my sanity

Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:50 am

ON:

<<USS Malinche-B>>
<Ensign Rayne's Quarters, Deck Six, Day 3, 1245 Hours>

Relieved of the stress she had felt earlier and the soreness gone, Sara stepped out of the shower then threw on a black bathrobe. She had definatly slept too much in sickbay at least more then she was used to sleeping anyways and wasn't tired enough to even think of taking a nap, no she needed something else to do. "Gah! What to do now...I can't go to the brig and interrogate that assassin, since I decided to leave sickbay without them having finished with me in there which also cuts off the idea off leaving my quarters if they decided to have security patrol around for me. Well I might as well see if I've been left any messages while I was gone." Sara walked over to the computer terminal in her quarters. It seemed to be untouched since the day she left for operation indigo dance, which it was since engineering had never gotten past the doorlock module she installed.

"I wonder who I annoyied in engineering with that doorlock module?" Sara thought with a mischievous grin on her face. "Well I'm certainly not going to go down to engineering anytime soon to find out. Though it would be more exciting then sitting around in here." She thought with a sigh. There was something missing, something she was used to having in her hands when she was reading messages. Sara suddenly remembered what it was then walked over to the replicator in her room. "Computer Tea, Green, Warm." She said watching the mug of warm green tea appear. Though she really preferred the real thing to the replicated stuff the computer could make it was still better then nothing.

Sara returned to the computer terminal and sat down in the chair she had there to read over the messages she got while gone, skipping the unimportant ones. "Well thats interesting, the ship has a new chief counselor. Wonder who decided to take the position? Bah why am I sitting around wondering who it is when I don't really like counselors anyways, well maybe not like them but can't get any help from them." Sara thought before standing up from the terminal. She finished the last of the replicated green tea then flopped down on the couch she had in the room. Sara would probly fall asleep there but she didn't care anymore it was still better then being in sickbay right now. With a look over to where she kept some of her favorite books Sara smiled then yawned.

OFF: Tags to whomever wants to disturb the spook who is finally relaxing for once.
Ensign Sara Rayne

"Beware The Penguins!"

Hunt
Senior Staff

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:23 am

<<USS Malinche>>
<<Hunt's Office, 1400 hours, Day 3>>

Mason was sitting alone in his office looking at the wonderful things he had bought while on the base. Many of the paintings and nicknack's began to subdue the serene grey walls and bland atmosphere. He bought a glass vase that was in the form of a swan and placed it on his desk. It looked so graceful on it that Mason had to shift it around many times before finding a right spot for it. He eventually put it in the left hand corner where the light was a bit dismal but it did bring the vase to a view of attention when if anyone walked in. It would be the first thing they would see.

While decorating he made a not to himself to buy more for his quarters at their next stop at a starbase of planet. Surely enough he had many items from home but he wanted to add an outer reminiscence to his cabin of being out in space. After nearly an hour of unpacking he went to check his messages hoping he had received one from Rayne. He frowned that he did not and just turned off his monitor only to find himself walking over to the replicator for something to eat.

Being a bit tired he sat down and suddenly heard his wall terminal bleep aloud, it was to him that it did this he had programmed it to only to do that for reminders of appointments and schedules but he did not remember having any for this month. So he got up and turned the monitor on, turns out he did indeed have an appointment to see the doctor for his routine and annual check up. Something he loathed even as a child, Mason was always a bit fearful of doctors mainly for getting injections.

"Computer, send a message to sickbay requesting a time and date for my check up. List the message as priority." said Mason going back to his plate of ham and canned yams. An ensign pressed on the door chime grabbing his attention, she had a padd in her left hand as she walked up to the desk. "Excuse me sir I have the latest spacial scans for this sector ready for your review." she said being a nit nervous.

Mason saw this, "At ease ensign and thank you your dismissed." he said smiling at her. She replied in kind with a smile and left. Hunt took a quick glance at the padd and put it down. He continued to eat his meal and read his daily news updates from home.

OFF: Tag Anyone
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Rayne
Crewmember

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:30 pm

ON:

<<USS Malinche-B>>
<Ensign Rayne's Quarters, Deck Six, Day 3, 1405 Hours>

It seemed like several hours had passed since she fell asleep. Sara was lying there on her couch partly awake, seemed she really needed that nap. Though she was still mostly asleep she was awake enough to realise she forgot to do something. "Gah!" Sara said as she fell off of the couch when she tried to get up. She got up off of the floor then walked over to the computer terminal looking at the time displayed before she started sending a message to commander Hunt.

[Message]
"Well I finally got out of sickbay but before they were finished with me. The security report for today should state what happened down in sickbay, if it doesn't then that means the assassin that tried to kill me escaped with help. Now if there is a report then hopefully the assassin is still in the brig knocked out from the kick I gave her or at least still in the brig. As for me I am sitting around in my quarters relaxing for what seems like years since I've ever had a chance to. Though as much as I'd love to leave my quarters Im afraid if I did I'd end up back in sickbay again. Besides Im probly alot safer where I am right now, what with people trying to kill me lately. Until the CMO comes and retrives me from my quarters this is where I'll be if you decide you want to talk with me.
[End]

Sara sent the message then turned off the terminal, standing up to walk back over to her couch to finish her nap.

OFF: Tags Hunt
Ensign Sara Rayne

"Beware The Penguins!"

Barrett
Senior Staff

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:31 pm

[[USS Malinche]]
[Zarrian's Quarters, Day 3, 1515]

If there was one thing that Zarrian was finding truly frustrating it was working with Lt. Barrett. The Maran Intelligence agency had a lot of information on him; though none if it really conved how much of a pain in the ass that he could he when he wanted to be on. What Darkhelm ever saw in him was something that Zarrian was clearly having issue with.

Barrett was good, there was no doubt about that but he was also annoying...something that all his encounters with Starfleet officers seemed to have in common at this point.

Then again his interactions with them had been limited. Deciding that pacing his way around his cabin was going to be none to productive, Zarrian sat down at his desk and opened a secure channel to the Maran fleet command. What little information they had ghatered from the downed craft was transferred to his terminal and then to his personal data PADD. The touch of a button erased all the infomration that had been stored on the main terminal.

Reading through the information before Barrett or Townsend had a look at it was a little confusing to say the least. Zarrian was pretty good with most technical details but a lot of what they were saying went right over his head. He could pick out that the armor that the craft was equiped with was made of an alloy that they had never encountered before; and that was something that did not sit well with him.

"I certainly hope Barrett has fun with this," Zarrin mumbled. He switched off the terminal and decided that some stretching his legs was in order.

OFF:

Ensign Zarrian
Intelligence Officer

Played By:
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hunt
Senior Staff

Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:21 pm

<<USS Malinche>>
<<Hunt's Office, 1410 Hours, Day 3>>

Having been stuffed with all he could eat, Mason decided to stroll around the ship making he was around the cooridor he thought he would pay a visit to Rayne. According to the sickbay logs she was released a few hours ago and sent to her quarters. Just he was about to put his plate into the waste disposal unit the monitor of his desk popped up and began to blink. "Computer open message and display please." said Mason.

[Message]

"Well I finally got out of sickbay but before they were finished with me. The security report for today should state what happened down in sickbay, if it doesn't then that means the assassin that tried to kill me escaped with help. Now if there is a report then hopefully the assassin is still in the brig knocked out from the kick I gave her or at least still in the brig. As for me I am sitting around in my quarters relaxing for what seems like years since I've ever had a chance to. Though as much as I'd love to leave my quarters I'm afraid if I did I'd end up back in sickbay again. Besides I'm probably a lot safer where I am right now, what with people trying to kill me lately. Until the CMO comes and retrieves me from my quarters this is where I'll be if you decide you want to talk with me.

[End]

It was good timing to he was well on his way to go and see Rayne, he didn't want to overwhelm her with any of the ships reports or the mundane details of his day so he got into a lift, "Deck Six." he said as the lift came to life. He was hoping she would not bring up the Dawn because he had been trying to talk to the skipper about it for days hopefully she would understand since the CO was in court.

Finally he arrived and slowly crept his way down the corridor until he reached her door. He pressed the door chime waiting to be let in.

OFF: Tag Rayne
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:14 pm

<Courtroom, 1259, MD03>

?Logan? walked into the courtroom along with the rest of the gallery and security guards at the end of the lunch break, the room, even after the recess, was still very tense and hushed as he made his way to his current identities assignment of guarding the witness box.

The cosmetic surgery had taken over an hour to complete, and while up close friends and family could maybe tell he wasn?t the security guard, from a distance he was a passable likeness, he checked the phaser was in its holster and looked out across the courtroom, glancing first at Lt Hawkins, sat in the gallery with a sling around his arm, the kid had a lot to learn about wearing that grey uniform, he showed his emotions far to easily, Jack was a blunt tool when what he needed to be was a scalpel.

He then looked across towards the accused, Jaran was looking detached as normal, Logan wasn?t interested in the slightest by the outcome of this trial, it all meant the same to him, Jaran was someone for whom a trial was just for show, odds are the result had been decided long before the charges had even been committed, he ceased to be in control of his own destiny long ago, even the ?surprise? of the mutiny hadn?t shocked his superiors.

As he looked and thought about the accused he was reminded of a quote he had heard years before, ?Men heap together the mistakes of their lives and create a monster they call destiny.? Jaran had set this course of action in motion with the choices he had made in the past, but as he sat there in the chair, bound and broken, he couldn?t be more impotent, it was then that Logan truly realised something, it wasn?t detachment he saw in Jaran across the room, it was something else, helplessness?

OFF

"Logan"

Played by;
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Rayne
Crewmember

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:24 pm

ON:

<<USS Malinche-B>>
<Ensign Rayne's Quarters, Deck Six, Day 3, 1425 Hours>

Sara was partly asleep when the door chime rang waking her fully out of the nap she was finishing. She looked over towards the door then through it when her impants activated. "Just a minute Commander, need to throw on something more presentable." With that said Sara quickly rolled up and headed over to her bedroom to change into one of her extra pairs of uniforms. A few minutes later she walked over to the door and disengaged the locking module opening the door. "Well Im glad you got my message, come in."

Sara's living room was filled with equipment on one side next to the computer terminal with a workbench and a bookcase right beside it. Most of the lighting was dimmed down or off all together. "Would you care for some tea or something Commander?" Sara said moving towards the replicator console.

OFF: Tags Hunt
Ensign Sara Rayne

"Beware The Penguins!"

Peters
Senior Staff

Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:12 pm

ON: <USS Malinche, 1845, Day 3>

Peters walked through the docking port and reached out a hand to run along the bulkhead. He smiled slightly. Even though he'd only been gone a few hours, it felt good to be 'home'.

Walking down the corridor, Peters adjusted the positions of the bags he was carrying. He had done a little bit of shopping with his sister after they finished lunch. He had spent more than he planned for this stopover, but her load had been twice the size of his when all was said and done.

After another minute of walking through corridors, Peters found his way to the turbolift and stepped in. He ordered the lift to take him to his quarters and then waited for the doors to hiss shut. He'd just drop this stuff off, then go check on the progress in the shuttle bay. He was hoping that the bay would look a lot better.

<Main Shuttle bay, 1910>

Peters walked through the extra-wide doors that led to the shuttle bay and whistled. There had been a lot of improvement in the few hours since he'd last come in here. The Deck plating was mostly replaced and all the scorched bulkhead plates had been removed. That left the skeletal structure of the ship's hull exposed, but Peters could see the stacks of panels that were going to be put up in the place of the removed, damaged ones.

"Uh, excuse me sir, this is a restricted area. I'll either need to see some ID or you'll have to leave," Peters heard from behind him. He shook his head. I knew I should have changed back into uniform, he thought to himself.

Turning, Peters saw a young Security Crewman that he didn't recognize off hand. Digging in his pocket, Peters pulled out and handed over his Starfleet ID card. This was the first occasion he'd had to show the thing since he'd been commissioned. Luckily, he still kept the habit of carrying it with him.

The crewman's eyes got wide as he looked at the card. It was handed back promptly and followed with a salute, which Peters casually returned. The security guard stammered, "I'm sorry, Lieutenant. I didn't realize. Is... is there anything I can do for you sir?"

"It's OK, Crewman. At least you're doing your job. Is Ensign C'eltor around?" Peters looked around, but didn't immediately see the El-Aurian. He had wanted to discuss the bay's progress with her.

"Ah, no, sir. She left a few hours ago. I believe she was headed to the Mess Hall, and then to speak with Ensign Melat. I could check where she is for you, if you'd like."

Peters held up a hand. "No, that won't be necessary. I'll speak with her in the morning. I'm just going to have a look around."

The Crewman nodded and moved off, probably to watch for more would-be trespassers. Peters shrugged it off and wandered across the bay to the pile of bulkhead panels. He could see where some of the machinery within the bay's walls had needed to be replaced, and was satisfied with the quality of the work done. He could also see where a few of the new panels had already gone up. They were a bit shinier than the old panels. That was partly due to the build up of dust and partly due to the minor damage done by the fringes of the explosion's effects. Still, within a few days all the panels would look the same due to the regular cleaning cycle and the wear and tear that the shuttle bay got during the ship's normal duty cycle.

Satisfied that the bay was coming along well enough, Peters headed quietly for the exit.

OFF:
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Akios
Crewmember

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:58 am

ON: <<Deck 4-A Jr. Officers' Quarters, MD03 1845>>

Turuas'ta had been reading his PADD for only a few minutes when he stood and said, "I feel like getting a nightcap in the lounge. Care to join me?"

Drochlo (NPC) glanced up from the PADD he was reading while lying on his bunk. "No, thank you. It's a little early for me. Are you going out like that?" he asked, indicating the one-piece tunic the aurelian was wearing.

"Something wrong with it?"

"You look like you're wearing a sack."

"I always look like I'm wearing a sack. It's this or au naturel, which I can get away with since aurelian society doesn't require clothing."

Drochlo snorted. "Just go. Maybe a little synthehol will get you to stop fidgeting."

Akios attached his combadge to the tunic, picked up his PADD again and headed out the door. "I don't fidget," he said as the door was sliding shut.

The ship's lounge on deck 9 had to be one of the craziest elements of the Prometheus class's design, in Akios's opinion. The compartment was large enough to cross the boundary between the A and B hull sections, and the ship's designers had artfully worked the hull divison point into the lounge's design. There were three openings between the two halves of the lounge, each of which sealed when the ship separated, but which were large enough that the compartment looked like one large semi-partitioned room. The separation zone was hidden behind paneling in the back wall in the front section. The front wall of the relatively cramped back section didn't attempt to hide its nature as much. It vaulted over the bar, obviously a hull wall, and one of the design elements that really struck Turuas'ta as "trying too hard" were the five windows. They normally faced the blank wall of the inner surface of the A hull and functioned as windows only when the hulls separated. Why the windows had been incorporated at all was a mystery to Akios--it wasn't like the lounge would be seeing any use if the ship was in MVA mode! But while the hulls were joined a holographic projection system just outside the windows was activated, concealing the hull beyond the transparent panels with scenery or whatever else was wanted. Akios had heard that aquariums were popular themes for the usually non-functional windows. In Malinche's lounge, though, a terrarium hologram was running.

It was still early enough for the lounge to be serving the crewmembers who weren't taking advantage of the starbase's facilities. Akios didn't have to wait to find a seat at the bar. "Something warm and high-calorie, but no milk products," he said in answer to the server's question. What he got looked and tasted like a large brandy snifter full of warm melted alcoholic ice cream with an oversized straw.

"I don't think I can drink this," he said, pushing the glass away from him.

"Trust me, sir," the server said, "there's no milk in that. It's replicated gabawi with synthe-rum."

"Gabawi? Never heard of it."

"It's a predatory fungus from Teava 6. It accumulates sugars by digesting flora that it encounters--it's slightly mobile--and uses those sugars as a lure. It's able to survive the digestive tract of most animals, so when an animal eats the gabawi, it infests the animal and eventually kills it to provide food for itself. The science officer who first identified the gabawi's life cycle referred to it as 'killer yoghurt.' The gabawi are apparently attracted by alcohol and are killed by it, just like Earth slugs."

Akios looked at the goblet and back at the server. "You probably shouldn't tell your customers about that. You're sure it's replicated?"

The server's face broke into a huge grin. "Just beamed it up myself, sir."

Akios shrugged, and resumed drinking. It did taste good.

He'd nearly finished when his combadge beeped.

"Akios here"

=^="C'eltor, Ensign. I know you're off duty, but I thought this might interest you. While preparing reports, I came across a request by Cmdr. Hunt to have the displays on Science-1 on the bridge realigned that hasn't been taken care of yet. Since this is your first time on a Prometheus, I thought you might like a crack at it."=^=

"Yes, sir!" Akios said. "I'm out of uniform, but I can be there in five minutes."

=^="There's no rush, Ensign. The request was logged this morning. I'll let the duty officer know you'll be there. Out."=^=

By the time Akios reached his quarters, the synthehol buzz was already gone. Drochlo was still reading in his bunk, and looked up with an unasked question as Akios hurriedly stripped off the tunic and dressed. "Duty calls," he said, grabbed his toolkit and rushed out again.

<<Bridge, 1900 MD03>>

He made it to the bridge in less than five minutes and got right to work. There would be time for sightseeing when he was done.

OFF:

[In getting this post ready, I noticed in the ship's specs that deck 9 has two lounges, one in the A section and one in the B section, and thought it would be interesting if they were in this configuration.]
Ensign Turuas'ta Akios
Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B