Blood and Iron

Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Sovereign
Senior Staff

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:45 pm

ON: 1415. Courtroom. Day 3

Captain Saxon stood up, PADD in hand, and walked slowly over to Soveriegn at the witness stand, a favoured tecnique of his - often especially useful when being applied to young females. As intimidating as he could try to be with the Lieutenant, he was almost at a loss with what to do with her. He was pretty certain that Lassiter had landed him the Lieutenant on purpose to make him look stupid. There was only one path he could go down, though it didn't help Jaran too much, like Kersare however, it did draw attention and blame away from him to a certain degree. In all reality, there was no denying what Jaran had done, thanks mainly to the evidence presented by Lassiter in the form of the sensor logs, Saxon could merely try to offload some of the blame to others, and argue that extenuating influcences had caused an unstable officer to snap, but that his actions could have prevented or contained.

"Lieutenant Sovereign" he began "Was anybody killed before Lieutenant Jaran and the others reach the shuttlebay of the Malinche?" He turned and looked right at her, locking eyes.

"No," she replied flatly, keeping her defensive attitude in check. She figured things were going to get ugly with this attorney, but there was no reason to jump in a frenzy yet.

"I see" Saxon said whilst giving a single nod. "Have you ever commanded a Starship before Lieutenant? Even briefly?" He narrowed his eyes and cocked his head back. "Perhaps under considerable stress in a situation similar to the one at the time? Maybe even with the threat of the Borg?" He trailed off and took a few steps away from the stand before turning around to once again face the Lieutenant.

"No."

Saxon flashed a glance up to Kersare in the gallery and then looked back at Sovereign. "And yet you were left in command of a Prometheus Class Starship during a flashpoint scenario." He stated, emphasising the class of the ship. He looked up at Kersare again, right at her, "A highly questionable decision wouldn't you say..." he looked backed at Sovereign "...Lieutenant?" he finshed with an arrogant smile. He quickly added in, "Congratulations on your recent command promotion too, Lieutenant"

Yrel wasn't going to bother repsonding to the last of his statements, and acted like it rather didn't happen.

"It's wasn't my position to question the Captain's orders. I was put into command and I therefore would do the job to the best of my abilities," she kept her voice calm and void as possible of some already growing frustration at the defence.

Saxon smiled at the Lieutenant. "I don't doubt that for a second Lieutenant, I'm completely sure that you performed to the best of your abilities" He paused for a second. "As a Science Officer with no command experience." He left that sentence lingering as he once again looked up to Kersare and took those few steps back to Sovereign. "So nobody had died before the Lieutenant made it onto the shuttlebay." he stated, going over what had already been said. "Do you think that if Lieutenant Jaran hadn't made it to the shuttlebay, that the lost lives would never have indeed been lost at all?"

Saxon was aware of the Judge shifting in his chair, a discreet courtroom gesture to notify Saxon that he was becoming uncomfortable with this line of questioning.

"I'm a general scientist on a warship," her voice grew a bit icy. "Not a temporal physacist. I can't tell what would have happened had Jaran and company not made it to the shuttlebay. Maybe those lives lost would have just been lost in the corridors."

"Lieutenant" The Captain said flatly. "Cynicsysm has no place here." He opened up his notes on the PADD again. "You attempted to contain Lieutenant Jaran using some kind of dye that would give away his position" he read. "Correct me if I'm wrong Lieutenant, but does the idea of a dye telling you where he is, sound somewhat ridiculous when compared the option of posting a full, armed, security team in the brig?" He displayed mock confusion. "You have after all, informed Mister Lassiter that Lieutenant Jaran breaking out was a possibility."

"Seeing as there were too many unknowns about how Jaran would break out - the most significant being the number of supporters - seemed to null the idea of advanced security. The most effective tool we had was to know where he was at all times," she replied, hardly believing in the idea herself. Really, she had dropped the ball in that regard, no question. But after the surprise breakout, it might not have made a difference. Jaran had what would have been enough supporters to pull off what they did regardless. "Not to mention, that more security could have also meant more casualities in an evitable escape."

Saxon shrugged, "Perhaps." he offered. "Also perhaps, an attempt may never have been made with a greater security presence." He paced again for a few seconds. "You ordered Security teams to the shuttlebay, Lieutenant" he began. "A wise decision, you clearly have a grasp on tactical operations. Would it not have been wiser to place teams in the shuttlebay and transporter rooms if you felt that placing teams in the Brig itself wasn't an option?" He frowned, again in mock confusion and once more glanced up to Kersare. 'If looks could vapourise' he thought to himself.

"Probably," Yrel replied simply, not willing to try and hold on the notion that her decisions during the events were perfect, even if it meant that the defence was going to try and jump on her.

"Probably" Saxon repeated. "So you are to blame for these deaths are you not Lieutenant Soveriegn?" He snapped. "You are the one responsible for allowing an escape to take place. You are the one who failed" he emphasised 'failed' "in your duty to protect those under your command by not placing proper safeguards in place, and by instead using a frankly ludicrous tracking idea."

He glared at Sovereign, hoping to intimidate the girl.

"Failed in my duties, yes...that much is obvious. Blame for murder? No, I was on the bridge the entire time. I was not the one in the corridors and shuttlebay killing and injuring people with a phaser," she responded flatly.

Saxon didn't move an inch, he held his glare. "You didn't fire the weapons yet by your admission you failed to prevent the situation that allowed for it to happen." He stated. "I hardly believe a Science Officer with..." he looked once more to Kersare, "...no command experience is to blame for the inaction." He looked back to the Lieutenant. "How could you know what to do after all. You should never have been abandoned in such a position in the first place." He backed up and took a breath. "Who, ultimately now Lieutenant, is responsible for the deaths on board..." he emphasised 'on board' "...the Malinche? Lieutenant Jaran for firing the weapon? You for, by your own words, failing in your duties, or Captain Kersare for leaving such an inexperienced Junior Officer in command of a warship, at flashpoint scenario, and for failing to give you the support needed?" He paused for a second. "I understand that at the time, there was nothing actually preventing Captain Kersare from returning to the Malinche. Who Lieutenant? Who is to blame?" He resumed his glare, both hands now on the edge of the witness stand...

"All of us..." she said, keeping Saxon's glare. "The idea that only one person is to blame for everything is not logical. Everyone had a participating role in this unfortunate event, and thus shares part of the blame. But Jaran's actions cannot simply be ignored because-"

"Everyone" Saxon interupted. "Everyone." he repeated. "Including the Commanding Officer, who placed an inexperienced junior officer in command, with no support, and allowed this terrible incident to occur." He stepped back and glanced to Kersare, then to Clarkson. "No further questions your honour." He returned to the table and sat down, locking eyes with Lassiter.

OFF. JP by

Lieutenant Jaran Abubackar
Prisoner

and
Lieutenant Yrel Sovereign
Chief Science Officer
& Second Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Hunt
Senior Staff

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:25 pm

<<USS Malinche-B>>
<Ensign Rayne's Quarters, Deck Six, Day 3, 1425 Hours>

Mason walked in nearly tripping on a small padd connected to a console. The way her quarters was decked out it reminded him of how he keep his room in his academy days and his mother stopping every once and awhile to help him clean up. "Sure Ensign I would like a cup very sweet please. Having non sweetened tea keep me up all night.

The quarters were subdued and quiet he didn't know how she did it but in a small way he could imagine his cabin being the same way being quiet and subdued after coming off a long day's shift on the bridge. "So tell me how are you holding up? Ensign all that time in sickbay must have bee driving you stir crazy and the food well i don't need to tell you." said Mason pulling up a seat next to her.

Amazing enough the tea was exactly how he liked it, in fact it was too right and Mason had his reservations that she was an infiltration officer so she no doubt knew things about him that he didn't.

OFF: Tag Rayne
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Rayne
Crewmember
Location: Running away from the penguins that come one by one to steal away my sanity

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:30 am

ON:

<<USS Malinche-B>>
<Ensign Rayne's Quarters, Deck Six, day 3, 1430>

"Well now that I am back onboard the Malinche im doing fine, its quieter and alot less on the go all the time. Only thing that disturbed that quiet was the assassin that tried to kill me in sickbay, something I've gotten used to in my profession. Though I would have still left sickbay when I did, I was tired of waiting for them to run a test. Hopefully the nurse I told to have Dr. Fairbairn let me know when they decided to run the test remembers to tell him." Sara shook her head at the thought of having to go back and wait in sickbay. "Sorry if the place seems like a bit of a mess, crew quarters just don't seem to have all that much space available in them. Barely managed to get all my stuff inside and still have enough room to move around in, but its home."

She smiled warmly at the cramped quarters, this was her space and it didn't matter what it looked like to her. "I'd have asked how the progress on getting my Delta Flyer aboard was going but with the trial going on I figured you haven't had a chance to speak with the captain yet." Sara said with a slight smile. "Speaking of the trial though, have you heard how it is going? I'd have gone to sit in on it had I not been sidetracked." She patiently waited for a reply watching the commander with her hauntingly green eyes.
Ensign Sara Rayne
Acting Assistant Chief Intelligence Officer

USS Malinche-B NCC-38897-B

"Beware The Penguins!"

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:07 am

<<Starbase 259, Courtroom, 1420, Day 3>>

Isabel sat quietly and watched as Jaran's attorney dug into her Second Officer. As the interrogation - it didn't seem benign enough to be a simple 'questioning' or gathering of evidence - went on, she began to wonder what annoyed her more; him attacking Yrel, him attacking her choice to put Yrel in charge, or how he kept looking back at her.

During the testimony, Isabel watched the judge and prosecutor, but mainly Yrel. She didn't want to give Jaran's attorney the satisfaction of having her eyes on him. After this trial, she'd have to brush up on her knowledge of the law and proper conduct...with any luck there'd be some way to get him disbarred.

Unfortunately, it seemed that several key points were being missed. While they may not affect things overall, she did feel they should be pointed out.

Luckily, Isabel had a PADD with her. Still listening to the interrogation, she began writing a message to Art (NPC). While she wasn't particularly fond of him either he was at least better then Mr. Saxon (NPC).

Mr. Lassiter,

I'm not sure what information you do or do not have, but I would like to point out a few things that Mr. Saxon is bringing up without proper knowledge of the situation.

First, the majority of those who helped Mr. Abubakar in his escape were Security Officers. As that was the case, having a larger security team in the Brig - or in the transporter rooms or shuttlebays - would have only aided Jaran in his escape. A fact that Mr. Saxon fails to mention.

Also, Lieutenant Sovereign was the seniormost officer on the Malinche at the time of the incident. Lieutenant Abubakar was in charge until he was put in the Brig, but after that, Ms. Sovereign had the most experience and therefore was put in charge. She has also taken the proper bridge certification courses, and has taken the standard command courses. True, she did not have actual command experience at the time, but nobody else on the Malinche did and she's had more bridge experience. At the time, the Malinche was concentrating on more Scientific items, so that is another reason Lieutenant Sovereign was left in charge.

I'm not sure how valuable this information will be to you, but it might be something for you to point out.

-Kersare

Sighing silently to herself, Isabel sat the PADD on her lap, waiting for the testimony to end. Perhaps she wouldn't even give it to Art, surely he would know these things and could point them out... But then again, maybe he didn't.

In either case, she certainly wasn't thrilled with some of the tactics being used. Isabel wished the whole thing was over, and part of her wanted to speak with Jaran again. His demeanor seemed to convey defeat, and there was something in his eyes that made her believe it wasn't simply for show. She got the impression he wasn't entirely thrilled with his lawyer, but he didn't seem to be doing much about it.

Isabel shook her head slightly. What a mess.
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:16 pm

<McKensie's Quarters, 1422, Day 3>

Rachel was sitting on the sofa with a small pile of padds busily planning her schedule when the door chime rang.

After ringing the doorchime, Britney (NPC) waited for Rachel to answer. While she was a bit nervous, she was also excited to meet the latest addition to the Malinche.

Looking up Rachel smiled as she called for whoever was outside to enter.

Britney stepped through the doors and smiled as they hissed shut. A little off to the side, she saw the woman she presumed to be Rachel sitting on a couch partially surrounded by PADDs. Moving a little closer she said, "Hello, I'm the Captain's Yeoman, Crewman Britney Liras. Captain Kersare's currently attending a trial on the Starbase, but I saw your transfer orders and thought I'd stop by."

Rachel smiled as she looked up from the pile of PADDs she was slowly being buried under. "That's very kind of you Britney, please make yourself at home," she motioned for Britney to make herself comfortable. "It's nice to meet you by the way..." Rachel grinned as she got to her feet to properly greet her visitor.

"Glad to have you aboard, Ensign McKensie," Britney replied. She still wasn't comfortable calling people by their first names, at least at first...and she was trying to figure out when that would be appropriate anyhow.

"Please call me Rachel" she smiled warmly as she sat back down again clearing the PADDs a little to make more room.

Taking a seat, Britney smiled, "Getting settled in? When did you get here? If I'd gotten the message sooner and knew you were aboard, I would've stopped by."

"I haven't been aboard that long really," Rachel reached for the glass of drink she had on the coffee table nearby, taking a refreshing drink before putting the glass down again. "As for getting settled in... as you can see I'm buried under personnel files. So is the life of the ship's Counsellor!. How does being the Captain's yeoman suit you?, is it something you enjoy?."

"Well," Britney began. She ran her fingers through her blonde hair as she tucked it behind her ear, "I've not been a Yeoman for long. Actually, I come from Direidi - a long story, but I am a human. The Malinche came to Direidi for their last mission, and I asked if I could come along. But so far I enjoy it, just miss home a little sometimes..."

Rachel nodded as she listened, "Sorry I'm going to stop doing that now...." she grinned a wry grin, "asking questions is something I do for a living and falling into those sort of questions is one of the pitfalls of chatting. I have to get into off duty mode!"

Britney's eyes twinkled as she laughed, "That's alright, I understand exactly what you mean. I'll have to explain Direidi to you some day and you'll see where I'm coming from. Difficult to get out of character at times." She winked at Rachel. Unless people had read about Captain Kirk's adventures there, or now the Malinche's, most didn't truly understand the Direidi.

"That sounds interesting" she smiled as she nodded, "I'd like to learn about Direidi, I'm a curious person by nature. I was raised in a Starfleet family so I naturally became a Starfleet officer, seemed the right thing to do and I enjoy what I do."

"Always seems to work out better when you're doing something you like," Britney replied. "I can tell you about Direidi sometime, though it's probably best to wait til you've been settled in - it's quite a tale."

"In that case we can make it an afternoon in the holodeck or something when we've both some free time" she smiled, "nothing more fun than a picnic."

"Oh, is there anything you need or that I can get for you?" Britney smiled, "With the Captain gone, I've not had much to do."

"I thnk I'm okay at the minute thanks" Rachel smiled warmly, "if that changes I'll let you know."

Nodding, Britney said, "Oh, and your counselor's mate, Crewman Nora Zeral, is my roommate. I've not had much of a chance to get to know her yet, but she seems nice enough."

"I'll have to arrange to meet her as soon as I've piled through all these PADDs" she motioned to the pile she had on the sofa, "at present I'm just acquainting myself with the crew but I'll have to read them all properly at some point."

Britney smiled, "It's an interesting crew from what I've seen, to say the least. At least the reading shouldn't be too boring."

"To be honest I find it entertaining to read about people, I don't read anything personal just those parts pertaining to my role as Counsellor" she smiled.

"I don't want to keep you from your work, so I'll get going. Just let me know when you're free for the picnic and I can arrange it," Britney smiled. "It was very nice to meet you; glad you're with us."

"Thank you Britney, it was nice meeting you too. We'll arrange that picnic and you can tell me all about Direidi."

Nodding Britney smiled at Rachel, then turned and walked out of the counselor's quarters. Rachel seemed like a nice woman, perhaps they could even be friends. As Britney headed back to her shared quarters, she wondered if she should seek out her roommate...

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Ensign Rachel McKensie
Chief Counselor
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

and

Crewman Britney Liras (PNPC)
Captain's Yeoman

played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:03 pm

<Starbase 259, MD03, 1426>

The proximity alarm was blaring loudly as the Nebulas nacelle filled the window of the type 9 shuttle, the comm system was alive with frantic messages from the Starbase and Nebulas bridge trying to warn Ensign Joseph Carson of the collision course he was on.

The alarm was growing more and more insistent as he flew closer and closer to the ships engine, at the last possible second Joseph pulled up, hard, strafing along the blue glow of the engine, close enough for his own to cause a small cloud of space dust to blow from the nacelle.

The Nebula had been in the process of slowly entering the Starbases main door as JC arrived to take up his new posting, he couldn?t resist trying to squeeze inside along with the large starship, maybe it was having to spend the last 3 days travelling in the small shuttle from the USS Hallow to get here. He had never taken boredom well, and many called him a thrill-seeker, it was why he enjoyed being a pilot, and it was why he had just caused the station and the ships crew to have a heart attack.

He peeled away from the hull of the ship as he entered the main stardock and throttled back, the light from the interior of the dock filling the shuttle as he could see the distinctive lines of his next posting appear. He had requested a transfer from the Miranda class in the hope of finding more action, more excitement, and the Prometheus class USS Malinche seemed like the best place to do that.

He quickly typed a quick apology to the crews of both the base and Nebula and plotted a course for the Prometheus before him as he opened a comm channel, ?Ensign Joe Carson, Flight Control Officer, requesting permission to come aboard??

OFF:

just a quick post to introduce a new PNPC :)

Ensign Joseph Carson
Flight Control Officer

Played By
Last edited by Hawkins on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Hunt
Senior Staff

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:26 pm

<<USS Malinche-B>>
<Ensign Rayne's Quarters, Deck Six, day 3, 1435>

Mason wished he had an answer for her, the court session was now sealed to those currently involved he could only guess that there was alot or too much speculation going on that none of it could get back inside to disrupt the proceedings. "I'm afraid not Rayne, i can't even get access to the court feeds all channels and lines have been completely blocked to say nothing about getting threw." frowned Mason looking at a picture on Rayne's desk.

"The delta flyer is now in the holding bay under guard. I thought it would be wise to place it there until the skipper was away from the trial and was able to put focus onto it. Actually i'm sure it will be a welcome relief to hear a new craft." he said smiling and sitting down once more since he did not need to be back on the bridge for hours.

Her quarters were in a state if disarray but it didn't matter so he smiled at her when she apologized for it, "Please you should see my cabin. I have been spending many a night in my office for some reason its more comfortable there don't ask why. After my shift is over i need to go and clean it up." he said laughing.

"Now the test you mentioned, you should just have the good doctor come here herself. You need to rest and be dragged back to sickbay." said Mason.

Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Barrett
Senior Staff

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:56 pm

[[USS Malinche]]
[Holodeck 1, Day 3, 1600]

Jason strode into the holodeck, happy to find that it was devoid of anyone. He supposed that he could have asked Zarrian (PNCP) to join him but figured that was not something that would have helped him relax. Senseless violence, although however archaic generally did the trick for Barrett.

"Computer, load program Barrett 21A."

"Program loaded.

The landscape shifted around Jason to place him in what looked like an ancient asian temple. Glowing torches lit the area and a cool breeze blew through the relatively open room. Shrugging off his outer shirt, Jason stood clad in his sleeveless undershirt and cargo pants. Taking the sai's from the holsters on his side he readied himself for combat.

They seemed to come at him all at once, bodies leaping and flying through the air. Jason spun to his left, his leg intercepting a body in mid flight and senidng it crashing to the ground. Antoher came at him, one that he blocked and then punched away. Back flipping, he opened up the distance between himself and his attackers.

By now, they had gathered weapons causing Jason to smile. Twirling the sais around in his hands, he beckoned them forward.

OFF: I'll add more to this later, but the computer keeps eating my posts...grrrrrrrrrrrr!
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Fairbairn
Senior Staff

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:14 am

<<1417, Starbase Courtroom, MD03>>

Cameron felt himself leaning forward in his chair a little too intently. He had a lingering resentment for Saxon since they had met briefly in the head at the rear of the courtroom lounge. He knew he was up next and he knew he had added pressure to turn his psychosis theory into something that would pull Jaran off the hook. He didn't like the thought a single bit.

But the way the attorney was treating Yrel tore him up inside and made him even angrier. He sat back with a sigh and stared at the wall to calm himself down as the line of questioning came to a halt. This was getting out of hand, he felt, and if some sort of conclusion wasn't drawn soon he felt like it would drag out for days.

He tried to make eye contact with Yrel, trying to somehow offer some kind of meek smile to lift her spirits slightly. He couldn't help but just think about how gorgeous she seemed, despite the look on her face of course. There was a confidence there that was held up by a delicacy. He just hoped she would be okay in the long run. After all, he couldn't miss the chance to take her to dinner this very evening.
Doctor (Lt.) Cameron Fairbairn
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche
NCC-38897-B

"Some patients, though conscious that their condition is perilous, recover their health simply through their contentment with the goodness of the physician." - Hippocrates 460-400 B.C.

Rayne
Crewmember
Location: Running away from the penguins that come one by one to steal away my sanity

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:22 pm

ON:

<<USS Malinche-B>>
<Ensign Rayne's Quarters, Deck Six, Day 3, 1445>

"Well thats what always happens when a trial starts turning in to a judicial bloodbath, Im guessing both the defense and the prosecutor are pulling all the strings they can. Perhaps Its good that I didn't go sit in on it, though Im probly going to hear about how it went soon enough." Sara said continuing to watch the commander. She liked people who put aside the fact she was intel when they talked to her, if they didn't she could tell by their unease when they spoke not that she really blamed them for it.

"Im sure it would be once the captain learns what it can do, though i've been needing to get it looked over by an engineer to see if I can get more power to the Dawn's propulsion and shielding without having to tranfer it around. Maybe I should sneek down to engineering and talk with Lt. Peters about it. Im sure he would love taking a look at it." She said with a distinct hint of mischief in her voice as she spoke and smile afterwards.

"That bad huh? Though I doubt it is as bad as my quarters on the Legacy were when I was still posted there. I had so much stuff cramed into my living room that you barey had room to sit down. Im glad I managed to get rid of most of that equipment, though I'll probly end up replacing it all soon enough." It was Sara's turn to laugh now.

"I think I'll avoid sickbay once this is all over with, at least until that trial is over then perhaps things will be running faster in there. Last thing I want is to have to sit around in there again." Sara said shaking her head with a sigh.

OFF: Tags Hunt
Ensign Sara Rayne

"Beware The Penguins!"

Akios
Crewmember

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:07 am

ON: <<Bridge, MD03 1915>>

It only took Akios a few minutes' work on the Science console to identify the problem--the station's polar orientation matrix was malfunctioning, the result of a faulty polaron inductor module. That was a bit annoying for Akios--it wasn't a difficult repair, but it would be time-consuming. To get at the module, he'd have to partially disassemble the Science station. The job had just extended itself to more than an hour. With a sigh, he deactivated the station, went to the Engineering station, deactivated EPS power to the Science station, and got to work.

Sitting cross-legged on the floor with the station's kick panel and retractable chair on the floor beside him, and with his head and arms under the console, he didn't notice the Flight Control officer on duty log off of his station and head for the break area off the bridge. Returning with a mug of bitterroot broth in his hands, the tellarite noticed a pair of large blue wings sticking out from under one of the stations at the rear of the bridge. There was no pressing need for him to return to his station immediately, so he took a gulp of broth and strolled over to the back of the bridge.

"You!" he said, "don't you know that those things are a safety hazard? You should put warning signs around the work area if you are going to drape them across the deck!"

He was a little disappointed that there was no thunk of something hitting the underside of the Science console, but as the bird-being pulled his head out from the space under the station, he was glad to see that the person he was addressing was only an ensign. That was one of the risks you had to take when you tried to get to know someone from behind--they might outrank you.

Akios looked up from his work to find that his guess had been right--the voice belonged to a tellarite, an ensign according to his pip. The ensign stood there waiting for Akios's response, cradling his steaming mug in his pudgy hands, a smug expression on his face.

Turu looked at him without reaction for a few seconds, until the tellarite's body language began to suggest uncertainty, before he said, "They are enough of a warning themselves. Only a blind man would trip over them." Then he stuck his head back under the console and finished pulling free the first of several circuit panels he'd have to remove to get to the faulty module.

A few seconds later he heard the tellarite's barked laugh. "No blind man am I, aurelian, or I would not have told you to put up signs. I am Ens. Sojarick. (NPC) Who are you? Do you even claim to work in Engineering?"

Akios made a show of examining the panel he'd just removed in the light of the bridge before setting it down beside the kick panel he'd removed earlier. Tellarites argued socially the way klingons traded casual insults--in their culture it was considered a normal and acceptable form of social interaction, one they had raised almost to an artform. The tellarite representative on the Federation Council was a legendary debater, the only difficulty being to get him to stop once he'd won.

While Starfleet Academy tried to teach all cadets the more acceptable forms of inter-cultural socializing, obviously they were more successful with some students than with others.

Before sticking his head back under the console again, he looked squarely at the tellarite and said, "If you question my presence here, check the ship's manifest for Akios, Turuas'ta, Ensign. That should clear up any confusion on your part. Do you not have duties to attend to, Mr. Sojarick?"

Sojarick took another swallow from his mug and snorted, somehow managing to not spray Akios's wings and back. "I helm the finest ship in Starfleet, Mr. Akios. In drydock. I do not need to press the button for another five minutes. Why do you disassemble the Science console? Do you not know we might need to conduct a scan at any moment?"

Turuas'ta held back a chuckle at Sojarick's "the button" comment. "A flaw in the system was reported, Mr. Sojarick. The x-polaron source has degraded. I am making repairs. I would tell you more, but I do not think you would understand."

"Do you think you are a Science officer, Mr. Akios? I know many more things than you realize. Tellarite science has understood polaron theory longer than any other in the Federation. We are the discoverers of the alpha-polaron!"

"The Vulcan Science Institute would disagree with you, Mr. Sojarick, but I do not speak for the Vulcan Science Institute." Akios paused to pull another circuit panel out of the compartment. Four more to go.

"Pah! Vulcans claim everything," Sojarick said, pulling the seat out from under the next station and sitting down. "We Tellarites defied Vulcan interference to teach the Terrans about navigation by Universal Orientation using polarons."

"I was under the impression that mankind discovered that on their own, Mr. Sojarick."

"Pssht! Humans had to say that or lose Vulcan support pre-Federation," Sojarick said, and finished his broth. "Where you from that you do not know that, Mr. Akios?"

"A colony world in the Walok system, near Cestus," Akios said, pulling and setting aside another panel. As the panel started to slip off the pile Akios had created, Sojarick grabbed it and set it further aside, where it wouldn't fall. "So, are you an Engineer now, Mr. Sojarick?"

"Ha! I could be a great engineer, but I look bad in yellow. So you are from colony? Good excuse for ignorance. I would suppose you do not know that Tellarites originated the six-axis theory of polaron physics."

"Impressive for a Flight Control officer to be so informed. You must be born and bred on Tellar to have such an education." Akios ran the decoupler over the edge of the next panel for the third time. It just didn't want to detach. He rocked the panel back and forth until the seam began to loosen, and then gave the panel a yank. It came loose much more easily than he expected, and he banged his knuckles. "Ow."

"Yes, and good physical training program, too. Not so clumsy." Sojarick took the panel from Akios and grabbed Akios's hand. "No blood. You want to call a doctor?"

"No. Isn't it time for you to push that button?" Akios asked, pulling his hand out of Sojarick's grip.

The tellarite grinned toothily at Akios, grabbed his empty mug and rose from his seat.

As annoying as it might be to some people, Akios really didn't mind Sojarick's nattering. At least tellarites didn't usually get physical the way klingons did, and it did help to make the work seem to go more swiftly.

OFF:

Ensign Sojarick (NPC)
Flight Control Officer
Ensign Turuas'ta Akios
Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Sovereign
Senior Staff

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:59 am

ON: <1420, Starbase Courtroom, Day 3>

Yrel tried to hide how rotten she felt as she left the stand, after having been figuratively been beaten with a stick by both attorneys, more so Saxon than Lassiter. She didn't make eye contact with anyone, for fear of breaking out in a mild session of crying.

There was a vast personal attack than she took out of that testimony, and then a secondary attack to her commanding officer that she also couldn't let go. This Saxon wasn't just trying to keep his appointee safe, but to provide an execution to everyone else involved, with the weigh tumbling down upon Kersare. He seemed so content on sacrificing the good name and service of Kersare for the small gain of his client.

Considering that even if Jaran got off these charges, there wasn't exactly a lot left for him to hold up to now. Benson, for one, would be stuck to him like a shadow, ready to throw him into the brig on a moment's notice. No one else was surely going to come to Jaran's aid in the near future with this kind of reputation.

Yrel sat down, next to Kersare, keeping her gaze on the back wall. She'd likely have to take some time to let off, to calm down from the havok that Saxon played on her self-esteem, before she'd return to duty.

The one thing that did brighten her up slightly was the notion that dinner was going to good.

OFF
Lieutenant Yrel Sovereign
Chief Science Officer
& Second Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

McKensie
Senior Staff

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am

<McKensie's Quarters, 1645, Day 3>

Rachel sat back on the sofa and stretched, it was surprising how time flew by when you were busy and she'd been staring at PADDs for over two hours now, no wonder her back was aching and her head was starting to feel like a lead balloon.

Picking up the pile of PADDs she put them all safely away before grabbing herself a shower to freshen up, in the time she'd been aboard she hadn't yet taken a herself on the usual tour of the ship she liked to do to familiarise herself. Now she was a member of the senior staff she was also entitled to a place on the bridge and right now she was itching to take a look.

Drying herself off after her shower she pulled out a clean uniform and put it on before brushing her hair and tying it back out of the way. That done she took one last look in the mirror to make sure she was tidy before setting off on her look around.

Having never served aboard a Prometheus class ship before she was curious to learn more about the ship, like anyone else in Starfleet who was interested in starships she knew of the multi vector assault mode but had never been aboard a ship equipped with it to see it at work, perhaps she'd have the chance one day now she was aboard the Malinche.

Stepping into the turbolift as the doors opened to allow her access she stated her destination and stood back waiting for the lift to whisk her off to the bridge. As it eventually came to a halt she strolled out onto the bridge hoping she wouldn't find herself in the way.

<off>
Tag anyone :D
Ensign Rachel McKensie
Chief Counsellor
USS Malinche

Hunt
Senior Staff

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:41 pm

<<USS Malinche-B>>
<Ensign Rayne's Quarters, Deck Six, Day 3, 1450>

Mason just shook his head and leaned back in the chair, "You could go down and have a look but I want security with you. At least for a little while and besides i'm engineering is waiting to get their hands dirty and into a new toy so to speak." said Mason smiling and stopped it so briefly he didn't want to offend her.

He out of habit began to pick up some of her belongings on the floor and place them down on the table just near the door, "You know the data on this new craft won't stay out secret for very long. Soon the Romulans, klingons you name it will want and try to get their hands on this new technology. We should also address this to the Captain when we get a chance to talk with her." said Mason.

<Tag Rayne>

"So do you have anything planned for for late on? I was going to walk about the ship and see how the repairs are going I know its not the most favorite thing to do but it would get your mind off of sickbay and being couped up in here." said Mason.

Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Rayne
Crewmember

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:46 pm

ON:

<<USS Malinche-B>>
<Ensign Rayne's Quarters, Deck Six, Day 3, 1455>

Sara just laughed at the Hunt's comment about engineering and them wanting to take a look at the Dawn from the inside. "Commander if there is one way to make friends with an engineer its to show them the schematics to a ship they haven't seen before then give them access to said ship." said Sara with a smile.

"What data?" she said with a roguish look. "The only data on the Pheonix Dawn is in with that stack of equipment over in the corner there and in that data chip I gave you earlier, and that data chip has a anti-copy memory format." Sara said. "Besides the only people that know about the Pheonix Dawn right now is E5, you, myself, and a few other people I have entrusted the knowledge of its existance to. E5 is very good at keeping the Dawn's technical information out of the Romulans hands, and anyone else that isn't in good terms with the federation. Which is why all the useful information on the Dawn's systems has been stored in its computer and encyrpted. In order for the Romulans or anyone else to get ahold of the technology they would have to steal the Dawn itself which would then force me to steal it back from them."

The glowing effect coming from the irises of her eyes seemed to get brighter when she spoke about the Dawn in that way. "Forgive me commander, seems I get too worked up in what I do sometimes. I should really be relaxing but its hard to do that when most of your life has been always on the move." said Sara turning silent for awhile till Hunt spoke again. "Actually I don't have anything planned commander, I think I'll take you up on the offer." she said with a smile back on her face.

OFF: Tags Hunt
Ensign Sara Rayne

"Beware The Penguins!"