Blood and Iron

Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Tupalov
Senior Staff

Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:49 pm

Enlisted Quarters. 0648. Day 6.

Marco was distinctly aware of the odd angle before his eyes blinked open, in time with the thumping in his skull, and saw the floor tilting 45* to the left.

Like a proximity sensor, the repetitive thumping in his head told him that it pressed against a hard surface, and the pain in his neck informed him that he was in a position that his spine just didn?t like all that much.

He found two flat surfaces, the bunk and the floor, and pushed upwards ? his hand on the bunk slipping in the process ? a move his head really appreciated. Flat, face down on the bunk he grumbled and rolled over until he awkwardly rolled into a sitting position on the floor.

He could, only just, see the reflection of a dishevelled face in the deactivated console. ?You?stupid man? he accused the arrogant Russian in the panel. With a deep exhalation of exhausted breath, he pushed himself up and stumbled the few feet over to the replicator.

?Coffee, black two sugars. Neural Suppressant.? He grumbled and a steaming coffee appeared.

?Unable to comply with medical request. Clearance level insufficient.? The bitch of a computer informed him.

Marco didn?t have time for this, he rubbed his eyes. ?What is available from the pain and irritation database?? he asked, the annoyance of a hundred hangovers held thick in his voice.

?Asprin.? Came the simple reply.

?Computer, asprin.? He ordered, although a few seconds he had already tired of the computers silly games. A hypospray appeared next to the coffee mug, both of which he picked up. The purely liquid heaven filled his mouth and he swallowed it, taking a deep breath and enjoying the ?fumes? also.

He moved over to the bunk and knelt down, at the same time he pressed the hypo to his lateral artery and pressed the drawer under the length of the bunk in so that it popped open.

He retrieved a towel and a fresh uniform, well just the trousers and a vest, and walked out the small room to a door a few metres down the corridor. Marco pressed the door release and stepped inside, there was a soft pulsing sound ? several in fact, though they weren?t in unison.

He found a space on the bench that ran along the far wall and stripped down. Naked, he walked into a separate room that was attached by a corridor of about 3 metres ? completely off of the actual main deck corridor ? ?Morning? he said, as he saw Barry and Danny in the sonic shower room too, it seemed the three had roughly the same duty schedule then.

?Boss? Barry replied, Danny just nodded and turned back round, roughly running a hand down his other arm to aide the sonic pulses in cleaning his body. Marco stepped onto one of the sonic shower platforms and pressed the ?on? panel ? he instantly felt the refreshing pulses of the sonic generators as the waves crashed into his skin to obliterate the various dirts and grimes it had accumulated since his last wash. Although far less hygienic and sterile, he really preferred water showers ? although you could almost guarantee never to find them on starships again, they were rare as it was on outposts anyway.

Marco turned around so his back was facing the generator. ?We use this with the juniors or not?? he asked, aware that since the seniors didn?t have their own mess they might not have their own wash or toilet facilities.

?Nah boss.? Barry replied, evidently Danny didn?t like talking while showering. ?They got ones of their own near all the main blocks.? The fat man lifted his arm up to point his visibly sweaty armpit at the generator.

Marco grimaced, he hated fat people ? other than the fact that rolls of hairy fat nakedness in a bloke was disgusting to look at, it showed a severe lack of self discipline, and was in Marcos opinion enough of a reason why someone should certainly NOT be a Senior NCO.

Marco turned round and turned the sonic shower off, he didn?t a long shower unlike some people. He walked back out into the changing area and picked up the towel ? even though there was no water involved he still preferred to brush off, force of habit more than anything.

Barry and Danny came out and went to their own uniforms. Marco put the towel back on the bench and went to pick up his? ?Boxers?Shit??

OFF
Warrant Officer First Class Marco Tupalov
Chief Flight Control Officer
U.S.S Malinche

Hunt
Senior Staff

Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:07 pm

<Bridge, 1510 hours, Day 5, USS Malinche>

Hunt was hoping to talk with her a bit more and was somewhat disappointed but he understood, "I.. I understand by all means carry on." said Mason. Something seemed to click in his mind about what she said about Jaran. "Rumors?" he thought to himself. This was one of the thoughts that stuck into his mind but could not shake. He just went about his duties on the bridge and was sure that Kersare would fill him in as soon as she was able to.

"Computer, send to all departments requesting crew evaluation and departmental status reports." said Mason pushing in buttons to his console. While sitting in his seat, Mason wished he had spent more time on the base. There was alot he had planned to do but he did have fun with Sara and enjoyed the real food and drink. He had eaten enought for ten people. All for not he did have the chance to get away from his uniform so to speak.

"Sir, you have an incoming message from the civilian transport ship the Gonzal." said Ryan Tamlin(NPC) "Thank you Ensign I'll take in my office." replied Mason heading for his office. He walked in wondering who it was that trying to reach him. "Computer direct transmission to monitor." The message was a bit garbled and then finally cleared up with the UFP logo on it. The face of a woman no older than he was appeared with blonde hair and blue eyes.

"So, this is what i have to do get your attention. Wonder boy." she said. Mason could not believe it, it was his old academy buddy Denise Reynolds(NPC) . It had been nearly four years since they last saw each other. In those days it was hard to separate them always getting into trouble and having loads of fun. "Denise wow how are you?" he asked moving closer to the monitor. "Eh, I'm doing alright just heading out to deep space five for reassignment as the new ship yard consultant with the rank of Lieutenant Commander. But that's not why i'm calling we have a reunion coming up in a few months and was wondering if you were going." she said drinking a cup of tea.

"I got the message just yesterday. I was not planning on going but seeing you again has changed my mind. You have to wonder if all of our gang will be there I remember hearing some would not go because of their assignments." said Mason.

"I sure hope they do, it will be a blast Mason. Well I have to go now it was good seeing and talking with you again. See ya at the reunion. Reynolds out." said Denise as the channel closed leaving him to stare at a black screen. Hearing her voice and seeing her face again brought him out of his sterile mood.

OFF
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Quarterstaff
Crewmember

Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:48 pm

<<Sick bay,1100, Day 5,USS Malinche >>

?It looks like you have a mild insomia. I wouldn?t say it was anything serious Mr..Slvet.? Lynn looked over her patient, hands folded in her lap as she sat across from a biobed. He was a slightly larger man past the prime of his life, with grays streaking their way through his hair. ?Our tests show no physical reason why you would be having troubles sleeping at night.?
The crew man went to speak, his brow furrowed.
? But it?s starting to affect my work! I need something to help me or else I?ll slip on the engines.? As the portly man spoke, he raised his torso with his arms, legs still flat.

Lynn ran a pale hand through her hair, still looking at the man. ?I can prescribe you the use of an Alpha-wave inducer to help right now?But I suggest you see the ship?s counselor. I think that would be more helpful in your situation. There is a reason behind the insomnia and I unfortuantly can not help you with this. Other people are better?prepared for finding and treating such a thing.? She hated moments like these, the moment when you had to tell someone there was nothing you could do for them. To the young lass it always seemed like she was letting her fellow crew members down. He gave her a desperate look and Lynn almost wilted. She got up, motioning for the man to sit still a while longer.

?The device simply needs to be put beside your bead at night and it should help you fall asleep.? She returned with a slip of paper. It seemed that the art of writing out prescriptions was dying, and Lynn meant to revive it. It was a notion that came from her more whimsical self. She quickly jotted down some instructions for crewman Slevt.
?This is by no means meant for you to use long term. I?ll have the nurses give you the device for two weeks but you really should see our counselor about this. Alright?? Offering a smile Lynn handed the small slip over. She patted his biobed once, stating; ? I?ll let some one know you are coming.?
Ensign Lynn Quarterstaff
Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Akios
Crewmember

Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:33 am

<Main Engineering, MD05 1600>

The submolecular imaging scanner had done its work. They now had a complete, detailed scan of one of the devices the saboteurs had planted. The only question now was, what next?

After putting the scan data in secure storage, Akios had made two copies. One he put in the holodeck data core, and had the computer start putting together a simulation template. It was rare that the holodeck was used to create such a detailed simulation, so he wasn't really sure how long the computer would take.

The other copy he stored in a portable data buffer. The portable storage unit was the size and shape of a one pint jar. Akios had a few of them among his personal effects already. Back when he'd been the ACEO of USS Andromeda, he'd modified the replicator in his quarters, increasing its scan resolution and pattern buffer capacity to almost transporter levels, and had added a high resolution scan stage. When he'd had the opportunity, he'd taken natural foodstuffs he'd picked up on planets and bases the ship had visited, and created custom replicator templates that were so detailed, the only way you could tell them apart from the real thing was if you were accustomed to eating your food live. He'd used the jar-like storage buffers to store his custom templates, which were far too large for regular isolinear data chips.

He hid the data buffer with the copy of the sabotage device's scan. Maybe he was just being paranoid, but, considering that whoever planted the devices must have had some level of Starfleet security clearance to get into all the locations, it seemed like a good idea to have a private backup of the data.

The device itself remained in 'transport stasis' in one of the engineering workrooms, inside a force field. Sooner or later they'd have to do something with it, but that wasn't his call. More than likely, nothing would be decided until they'd thoroughly examined the data and simulation. In the meantime, it made an interesting lighted sculpture sitting on its workbench.

Modifying the emergency transporter unit to contain the sabotage device had also given Akios the opportunity to replicate a few of the components he needed for the replicator in his quarters. The replicator reclamation system wasn't picky and didn't keep detailed records of what you put into it for recycling, so once he'd logged the extra components as reclaimed, he was covered.

Rumors were circulating that the captain had received a request to meet with someone aboard the starbase, and that it was about the next mission. Some were starting to speculate as to why it was a face to face meeting and not a transmission, and who she would actually be meeting with. Turu didn't join in. He'd had quite enough of such discussions back home, before his grandmother had left her job on the Aurelian Representative's staff.
Ensign Turuas'ta Akios
Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Quarterstaff
Crewmember

Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:12 pm

<<Sick bay, Day 5,1145, USS Malinche >>

?It?s slow...and I?m almost falling asleep. Then again, it?s probably for the best that the ?bay? isn?t full.? Lynn mumbled to herself. She had taken a few minutes to run to the replicator and obtain a small cup of coffee. She peered into the rich substance and smiled. ?Ah such a lovely blend of sugar and beans??
Breaking into a wide grin, The Irish woman began to compose a ditty of the wonders of coffee.

?Oh what would I do with out your full and nutty flavor? Fall asleep whilst I work n? fall over. Half the crew would never get up if not for the joy that is known as coffee?Though books tell me you are detrimental to my system, mn mn, I can not deny how I love your flavor, so robust?? She paused chewing on a lip.
?What rhymes with robust??

?Trust?? Chelsie Marsid (NPC), who had been standing near the young doctor at the time raised an eyebrow at her antics. Some times it was hard trying to figure out what exactly Starfleet saw in these doctors.
?I think you might have more success with your ?ballard? if you used easier words. Detrimental isn?t exactly eloquent nor appealing in the song.? The nurse supplied.
Lynn flipped her red hair over one shoulder, a habit that was becoming familiar to the crew in sick bay.

?You leave my lyrics alone. If I?m going to make a song then I?m going to show the universe that Starfleet is by no means monosyllabic.? The woman winked cheerfully, happy to have the steaming brew in her hands. Taking another long sip, the doctor decided she had had enough for now. She check her time piece once and decided she?d be fine until her shift was up.
Crossing her arms over her chest and making a small list of things to do the crew member turned to Chelsie.
? Has any one cleaned the bio beds lately??
Ensign Lynn Quarterstaff
Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:42 pm

<<Starbase 259, Outside Admiral Melinak's office, 1655, Day 5>>

Isabel had just arrived outside Admiral Melinak?s (NPC) office, slightly ahead of the appointed time. In her dress uniform, Isabel was anxious to hear what the Malinche's next mission would be. Smoothing the front of her uniform, she walked up to Melinak's secretary.

"And you are?" An older woman, perhaps in her fifties, asked.

"Captain Isabel Kersare of the USS Malinche. Admiral Melinak sent a message that I was to be briefed on our next mission at 1700 hours," Isabel answered.

The woman smirked, "Have a seat. Admiral Melinak wants to wait 'til you're both here."

Raising an eyebrow Isabel asked, "Both?"

"Sit!"

Deciding it would likely be best to not cross the woman, Isabel had a seat. Obviously she wasn't going to get past the door guard til this other person showed up anyways...

Lange entered the anteroom to Admiral Melinak's office and noted the presence of another officer wearing command red. Paying little mind, he walked to the secretary's desk.

"You would be?" the woman asked somewhat abrasively. Lange quirked an eyebrow, but shrugged it off.

"Captain James Lange, USS Sentinel. I received orders to report to Admiral Melinak in..." Lange looked at his chronometer, "3 minutes."

"Of course," she replied. "He's expecting both of you. You can both enter." Lange blinked and looked back at the woman in command red. He then noted she was wearing captain's pips. This could prove interesting.

"Captain," Lange said as he walked towards the admiral's door. He smiled as the woman stepped beside him. "Captain Lange, USS Sentinel. Pleased to meet you."

Lange extended his hand.

Isabel shook the man's hand - James Lange, if she remembered correctly - and returned the smile, "Captain Isabel Kersare, USS Malinche. Pleasure to meet you too. I was wondering who the other part of 'both' was that she was talking about." She nodded towards the secretary. "Though I wasn't expecting another Captain, to be honest."

"Understandable. I don't think I've ever been in a briefing with another CO," Lange said. "But then, I wasn't in the fleet during the war."

She nodded, "Well, let's go in. Best not to keep the Admiral waiting, I'm sure. Should prove interesting."

Lange nodded and turned to press the door plate. A moment later the door hissed open. Lange stepped through and waited for Kersare to follow and stand beside him again. "Captain's Lange and Kersare, reporting as ordered, Admiral."

Nedra Melinak (NPC) looked up at the two officers standing before her. They were on time, she could give them that. Reaching over to the left side of her desk, she moved a PADD in front of her before looking up at Isabel and James with her blue eyes, "Have a seat Captains."

Isabel nodded and took the seat to Nedra's right. She hadn't heard much about the Admiral before, but thus far she seemed alright.

Lange followed Kersare's lead and took the seat to the right. Once seated, Lange gave the Admiral his full attention. After a moment, she cleared her throat.

"I presume you both know why you're here," Melinak said, "So I'll skip the pleasantries. Both of your ships are being assigned to a mission of utmost importance to the security of the Federation. You will be joining other vessels that are already actively pursuing the objectives of this mission."

"If you don't mind my asking, Ma'am," Lange interjected, "Will the Sentinel have a full crew complement in time for our departure?"

"To put it simply, Captain, no. You will have an XO assigned by this evening. Other than that, any vacant positions you will have to cover with your existing personnel. We don't have time to wait for new crew to get transfer orders and to arrive here."

"Understood," Lange said. He was sure that Kilana wouldn't mind covering Engineering for awhile longer, but he might have to let her out of some of her duties as Yeoman if things got hairy during the mission. Thinking of the mission, Lange began to open his mouth for another question, but Melinak was already ahead of him.

"The mission, Captains, is simple. Find the USS Sirion, which recently went missing in this sector. Captain Kersare, you are already familiar with the Sirion's situation, and you will have the Sirion's Captain aboard your ship as an advisor for this mission." Melinak paused for a moment. "Find me that ship."

Isabel nodded, "Will we take all six of the Sirion crew, or just Captain Lansky?"

Nedra looked at her, "Go ahead and take all of them, they may be of use to you."

Lange's brain was spinning in circles at Warp 9 by this point. He wasn't sure how one missing science ship was a security threat to the Federation. And how had the Captain of the ship gotten back here with his ship missing. After a moment he managed to pull his thoughts together somewhat coherently. "Admiral," he started, "how is a missing ship a top security priority? Not to say that the ship shouldn't be found, but it doesn't seem like something that would be a major threat..."

"Captain Lange, I'm sure you're not aware of the Malinche's last mission, and I'll leave the details for Captain Kersare to explain to you later. However, I assure you, a major threat is in the area. Captain, why don't you put Mr. Lange's mind at ease as to the threat that is present?" Admiral Melinak nodded towards Isabel, indicating she should explain.

Isabel turned to James, "Without going into the non-key specifics for now, we were sent to find the Sirion and its crew, but were only able to find six crewmembers - their away team. We found evidence that the Sirion was attacked by the Borg, but the ship itself was no longer in the immediate area. At the edge of the area, we also spotted a Borg sphere..."

"My mother always told me not to mess with the Borg," Lange quipped. He was obviously too old for his mother to have known about the Borg when he was growing up on the Byzantine, but he was sure she would have said it had they been known then. "So, then, is that sphere still out there somewhere?"

?We have two ships, the USS Dorado and USS Dawes, en route to the area to investigate further. As the sphere attacked the Sirion, it may be that you?ll find both together, so be prepared either way,? Nedra said. ?You?re scheduled to depart at 1400 tomorrow. Any other questions??

?I think that covers everything except how we?re going to coordinate the search,? Lange replied.

?That will be for the two of you to work out between yourselves. You both know your own crews better than anyone here does.? Melinak paused. ?However, keep in mind Starfleet protocols. If you end up in combat, the Malinche is the more capable vessel.?

Isabel nodded, ?I?m sure we?ll get everything sorted. Will we have any further information from the other two ships??

The admiral turned towards the female captain, ?You should receive any vital updates and findings on your way. The rest is up to you. Good luck, Captains.?

Lange recognized a nice dismissal when he heard it. He nodded as he stood. ?Thank you, Admiral.?

Isabel stood and gave Nedra a brief small smile, ?Thank you, Admiral Melinak.? She turned and headed out the door, waiting for James once she got to the corridor.

Lange stepped out after Kersare. ?I was wondering, Captain,? he said, ?if you and your senior staff would like to join the Sentinel?s staff for dinner tomorrow evening.?

?Thank you for the offer, Captain Lange. I?d be pleased to accept. What time should we beam over?? Isabel smiled.

Lange thought for a moment. ?Let?s say 1830??

She nodded. ?1830 it is. I look forward to working with you.?

?Likewise,? Lange replied. ?We?ll contact you shortly before departure tomorrow. Have a good evening, Captain.?

?You as well. Until tomorrow,? Isabel smiled. It all seemed a bit formal, but after they had the chance to really work with each other it would be easier. With a final nod, she turned and headed to the Malinche.

OFF: We will be starting the new JM thread later this week. Until then continue to post in this one and stay on the current day. Thanks all!

JP by:

Captain James Lange
Commanding Officer
USS Sentinel NCC-74673

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Tupalov
Senior Staff

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:52 am

ON: Malinche. Enlisted Facilities. O825. Day 6.

Marco, having had Danny retrieve some boxers for him, pulled on his trousers and vest and nodded to Barry and Danny as they left, both in full uniform ? obviously they were going straight to duty.

Marco picked up his towel and walked out of the room and back into the corridor barefoot, although getting older he still maintained a healthy lifestyle ? mostly ? and was not unaware that the duty vest was tight enough to accentuate his muscle definition in his upper body.

Since the shower, and the painkiller for his head, on top of the medication he received from the Doctor the previous evening, he felt somewhat invigorated, with a spring in his step ? he was actually quite looking forward to getting underway, and word was the CO had met with a Flag Officer in the evening ? that was a sure sign they were about to get underway, and he wanted to make sure that everything was ready.

The doors to his quarters opened and he stepped inside. ?Computer. Music Library, Earth 20th Century.? He threw his towel down. ?Access Robert Palmer ? Doctor, Doctor. Play?

As the electric guitar blared out of the speakers he clicked his fingers in time with the beat, ??to soothe my?head?? he sung along with Palmer.

Marco access the small terminal and saw he had a new message, he opened it ? half knowing it was from anyway.

He caught himself stamping his heel on the floor. ?Doctor?Doctor?Gimme the news?.?

He smiled as he read the message and typed the information he wanted from it into a PADD that was to hand.

?Pretty face?? ?.no pretty heart?? He sung again, although more mumbled this time as he read more of the message.

?Bad case of loving you??

He clicked his tongue in time with the instrumental and banged the PADD against his other palm as the beat got louder ? reading the information contained in one of the links from the message.

?Shake my fist, knock on wood??

Marco bent down to recover a pair of socks from his remaining open bag and pulled them on, between walking to the bunk where his duty jacket and command jacket were waiting he slipped his shoes on too. ?No pill?s gonna?? he pulled the red jacket over his shoulders and tucked it in. ??cure my ill??

The song ended as he done up the duty jacket. He picked up the comm. badge from yesterdays dirty uniform and attached it to the new one. Marco picked up the PADD and recovered the name again. ?Chief Tupalov to Crewman Jaldora.?

?Jaldora here sir? A young man answered.

?Don?t call me sir? He replied. ?When you?ve completed cleaning out Leftenant Jarans quarters? he started, looking at Jaldora?s work schedule. ?Report to me immediately.?

?Uh?yes, Chief ? what about Lieutenant Hawkins? quarters? Should I ask someone else to fill in for me.?

The left corner of Marco?s mouth found itself halfway up his cheek. ?That won?t be necessary.? He tapped the badge and closed the channel before tapping it one more. ?Chief Tupalov to Crewman Jackson.?

?Jackson here? a slightly more confident voice answered.

?Crewman, I?d like you to not clean the Intelligence office today please ? I believe Leftenant Hawkins requires to be left alone and the office kept private for the moment.?

?Of course Chief, I?ll let Howells know too, he?s due to change over about the same time as I?m due in the Intelligence Office.?

?Much appreciated, Tupalov out? he replied, setting down the PADD on the top bunk and walking out into the corridor.

He nodded to a few people en route to the mess, he was beginning to recognise some faces now, though they were almost exclusively the rankers that occupied the quarters close to his.

He stepped into the mess and walked straight to the replicator. ?Apple Juice. Bacon over buttered Terran white toast.? He ordered, when he turned around he noticed that only a few of the table were occupied ? and two of those looked like they were occupied by people coming off the night shift. He nodded and offered them a small smile ? he had respect for the poor sods who manned the nights, and he intended to make sure something was done to improve their quality of life ? soundproofed quarters maybe, extra holodeck time, maybe even just some thicker mattresses, there was a Galaxy Class docked at the moment and he was positive he could work something out with the ships quartermaster ? it was all small things that took no effort really, but could make the world of difference to a young?n who had an otherwise pretty dull life. A few creature comforts were always well received.

?Hey? he called, someone looked up. ?Who is the Keptins yeoman??

?Uh?Britny something?I think. I?m sorry Chief, I?m not entirely sure? there was an amount of concern in his eyes.

Marco smiled softly and held up a dismissing hand. ?Don?t worry about it, thank you anyway.? He folded over one of the slices of toast with the bacon to make a sandwich and started on his breakfast. He?d need to track her down, he could do with a brief meeting with the Captain soon, he could go via the XO of course, but he preferred to deal with Kersare directly ? and all he really needed was for her to rubber stamp a few things anyway. He thought that maybe he could just send her a message instead. Besides, without slamming his face into a doorway to generate one ? she?d be querying why she saw no bruise if he went to see her.

?Ya, definitely message? he said to himself under his breath?

OFF
Warrant Officer First Class Marco Tupalov
Chief Flight Control Officer
U.S.S Malinche

Peters
Senior Staff

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:33 pm

ON: <USS Malinche, Main Engineering, 1800, Day 5>

Peters looked at the device glowing mutely on the workbench. He'd love to take it apart, piece by piece, and figure out what made it tick. Unfortunately, at this point he didn't even dare touch it, lest it decide to follow it's counterparts into a mildly destructive oblivion.

With that in mind, Peters checked the status of the holodeck simulation that Akios had started the computer constructing earlier. It was still being compiled, but looked to be about 85% done. That was good at least. They'd be able to start working with it tomorrow.

At least, if they could find the time, they'd be able to work with it. Given that the Captain had gone to a meeting with an admiral just a few hours ago, he had a feeling they'd be departing very soon. And departing from starbase meant that every little malfunction on the ship became his domain once again... not to mention that he'd need to undo half the Starbase personnel's "upgrades."

"Hey C'eltor, I'm heading out for the evening. Make sure the night shift gets everything prepared for departure tonight. Hopefully we'll have a bit more time than that, but you never know."

C'eltor nodded in response and Peters headed towards the door. As he walked he tried to decide what to do for the rest of the evening. Then his stomach rumbled, reminding him that he hadn't yet had dinner. Some lasagna sounded good, so as he exited engineering, Peters turned to the left and walked towards the turbolift.

OFF:
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Sovereign
Senior Staff

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:39 pm

<<Deck 3 Corridors, USS Malinche, 1733 hours, Day 5>>

Yrel had left the bridge, not entirely sure where she in fact heading to. It was getting late, and she hadn?t had any contact with Cameron during the day, so there were no plans for the night. She?d have the bed to herself, maybe a quiet, and small, dinner before that. A simple way to have things over and done with before the next day. And by then, she?d definitely would try and get a hold of Kersare to go over a couple recent things. Jaran was only really pressing thing, despite it really being any of her damned business.

Heading to the turbolift, Yrel absently noted the steady increase of personnel around the ship. Shoreleave was surely at and end, by the looks of it. They were scrambling about, trying to catch up on left work while they spent their days on the starbase. Lucky for Yrel, she had hung on to a sense of duty thus far.

Glad to have their mission, yet somewhat concerned due to the actual mission, Isabel was a bit distracted as she made her way through the corridor. She was curious as to whether Cameron had gotten back to her regarding Marco, though at the same time she wasn't looking forward to dealing with the situation further. At least they'd be on their way the next day...

As Yrel was about to set foot into the turbolift, she halted at the sight of Captain Kersare. Stepping back quickly and letting the turbolift doors hiss close, resuming its course elsewhere, Yrel caught up with her captain. It was all likely a bit of bad time to do this, but might as well get the quaint business out of the way.

?Captain,? she greeted.

Isabel looked in the direction of the greeting, noticing Yrel and smiling, "Hello Lieutenant. Things going well?"

?I?d like to think so?although a lot has been going on to consider,? she returned a smile. ?I?ve been in good company for the most part. And had been pretty joyful until I heard some pretty odd rumours about Jaran??

"Odd rumors?" Isabel quirked an eyebrow. It wasn't surprising that word would get around about Jaran, but she hadn't realized there were various rumors circulating.

?Well,? she bit her lip. ?Maybe not odd, so much as disturbing. All I?ve heard is that he was killed en route to a transport to Earth.?

Isabel nodded slowly, "They're not just rumors. That is what happened, I'm afraid."

Yrel fell silent, a storm of shock and sympathy growing in her mind. Dead? Truly dead? Just like that, dead. It was not justice, not by the law. Morally, maybe?but that was pushing it. She didn?t like this at all.

?Oh,? was all she said as the silence had dragged on. ?That?s horrible. He didn?t deserve that?regardless of everything that transpired.?

"I agree. I still have a hard time believing it... I believe Mr. Hawkins was going to look into it, but from what I understand, I highly doubt they'll catch whoever did it," Isabel replied. At this point she was fairly numb about the situation. It was difficult to know how to feel or act - she knew her crew would be split on how they felt about it anyway.

Again, a moment of silence from Yrel as she rolled it all around in her thoughts, trying to hold back the surge of emotion from boiling to the surface. And after a thought, she started to feel that she didn?t want to continue with the line of conversation anymore. ?Uh, well?enjoy the holodeck? I tried to come see you earlier, but you were in there.?

It was Isabel's turn to grow silent. After contemplating a moment, she offered, "It wasn't really for pleasure...Jaran had left me a message."

?Oh, well that?s a shame.? Immediately she stopped and backtracked. ?I mean, that it wasn?t for pleasure?you deserved some time off.?

"Well, there won't be much time for that now; we have our next assignment and will be leaving tomorrow." Isabel wasn't entirely sure this was a better subject...it seemed difficult to find a good subject lately.

?As good a time as any,? Yrel nodded as they pass by a couple petty officers. But the lack of any kind of enthusiasm from Kersare didn?t exactly spell something good for the coming days. ?Not something simple I take it??

"We're going back to try to find the Sirion - need to round up Captain Lansky (NPC) and the others from the away team we rescued to take with us... From the evidence we gathered and other Intel reports, there is a Borg Sphere in the area. StarFleet sent two ships ahead to check on things, and we'll have the USS Sentinel coming with us," she explained. "At least they aren't sending us alone, and we are well equiped, but it is still the Borg."

?Great,? Yrel frowned. ?Them again?I was hoping to not have to deal with the Borg for a long long time after Direidi.?

"I think we were all hoping that, but it seems StarFleet has other ideas," Isabel replied. "We have a good crew - I'm sure we can handle it."

?And maybe deal with it as soon as possible,? Yrel added in with a curt nod. She then laughed at something that?d surely lighten the air. ?Not to mention the best doctor in the region.?

Isabel smiled, "Dr. Fairbairn does come highly recommended, not to mention I knew him before. I hear you two have been getting to know each other better."

?So much so, that I might be pregnant...? she turned slightly to face Kersare, a smile curling the corners of her lips. ?But it?s not official yet or anything?just a mild hope.?

A bit surprised, Isabel quirked an eyebrow, "Apparently you're getting to know each other really well." She smiled and gave a gentle laugh. "Please let me know when you find out."

?Absolutely, you?ll probably be the second to know,? Yrel? held her smile. ?Though I?m not sure about how ?he? will take it. We?ve only been dating for a few days??

"So he has no idea about the possibility?" It was rather quick, to be sure... She wasn't sure how Cameron would take it.

?Other than the obvious lack of contraception? Nope, apparently not.? Yrel felt a rumble in her stomach and had figured this were dragging on. She was worn out and need to go deal with herself by a quiet winding down of eating and sleeping. She stopped at a new turbolift, and sighed. ?Sorry to end this abruptly, but I?m getting tired. I?ll let you know how things go.?

Isabel nodded, "Have a good evening Lieutenant." She smiled at Yrel as the turbolift doors started to close.

?You as well, Captain.?

OFF:
JP by

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche

and
Lieutenant Yrel Sovereign
Chief Science Officer
& Second Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Akios
Crewmember

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:08 am

<Holodeck 2, 2100, MD05>

The sickbay doors parted; two Starfleet marines in full combat gear staggered in. One was injured, the other supported him, but the second man's strength gave out and he collapsed, twisting to fall under his comrade and break his fall. "Doctor!" he shouted, "I need a doctor!"

The EMH system came online and the holographic doctor appeared. However, this was not any of the standard EMH models.

"'ello, what's awl this? You're a right mess there, luv. So what 'appened to you, then?" The holographic doctor, a petite brunette with long hair wound messily into a bun with a few stray strands hanging loose, quickly trotted to the fallen men.

The injured marine on the deck tried to talk, but he was on the verge of losing consciousness and the sounds he was making were unintelligible. The second marine started to speak but stopped to stare at the small holographic woman, who crouched and slid her arms under the injured man's knees and back. Effortlessly lifting him, the petite brunette carried the man to the diagnostic bed, calling in her thick Cockney accent over her shoulder to the second marine. "You were sayin', soldier?"

The second marine climbed back to his feet. "We were in the firefight on deck eight. Tony and I had them pinned down until..."

The EMH interruped. "I don't need yer tennis score, luv, just the medically-relevant parts if you please, thank you." While she spoke he opened a tricorder and began scanning.

The marine straightened and took a deep breath before continuing. "They concentrated their fire to rupture a plasma conduit behind us, and the concussion threw us both out from cover. Tony got the worst of it."

"Got you comin' and goin', eh? Disruptor wounds to the front, plasma burns on the backside--'ave a seat if ye can, soldier, I don't want you leavin' until I've 'ad a look at you too. Don't worry your 'ead about Tony 'ere, tho'--we'll 'ave 'im right as rain in no time flat."

"Computer, freeze program."

Akios left the simulated CMO's office, from where he'd been watching the program run. This was the best run yet--according to the psychological response algorithm of the conscious marine's program, his annoyance level was the lowest this time of any of the simulations Akios had run, and much lower than the levels produced by the various stock EMH models.

It wasn't often that Turuas'ta hid in the holodeck, but the captain had had her meeting aboard the starbase, and by dinner time half the crew were speculating and sharing rumors. It got to the point that Akios had needed relief, but his cabin-mate Drochlo was unfortunately one of those caught up in the cycle of gossip. Retreating to his cabin was no escape at the moment.

On the two ships he'd served on previously, Andromeda and Antares, the CMO and command staff had all been less than thrilled with the personalities of the available EMH programs. On Andromeda he'd been asked to look into the possibility of a new drop-in personality template for the EMH, and on Antares, the CMO had unilaterally decided to make the modifications himself. Unfortunately, since he hadn't notified the captain, XO, or the chief engineer, his tampering had sent up a number of alerts in the protected computer archive.

Although he'd never gotten to the point of actually testing his modifications on the EMH program itself, Akios had worked his way through the hoops of hologram programming and had come up with a few potential candidate personalities.

However, along the way he'd discovered that modifying an existing EMH's personality had to be done very carefully, and the changes that could be made were limited.

He'd found out that the personality subsystems of all the EMH models were deeply embedded. In fact, they were tied in directly with the primary diagnostic subroutines. What that meant was that any radical change to the EMH's personality would compromize the EMH's ability to diagnose and treat medical conditions.

In short, to function properly the EMH would have to retain many of its most annoying traits.

The Cockney woman he'd written still had most of the EMH's acerbic qualities; however, being a short yet attractive woman with a harried look and a lilting accent made those characteristics much less offensive to the characters in the simulations he'd run.

The EMH modification programs were just a hobby to him now, unfortunately. He realized it was very unlikely they'd ever see the light of day.

Checking the chronometer, Akios saw that it had gotten late enough for him to return to his quarters and go straight to bed.

"Computer, reset simulation to beginning, save program and exit."

Sickbay disappeared around the aurelian as the latticework of holographic emitters became visible, and he left the holodeck.
Ensign Turuas'ta Akios
Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:55 am

<Jefferies Tube, Deck 9, 0329, MD06>

Logan crawled along the narrow passage way to towards the computer junction, he had used the ships schematics to trace the pathways and junctions responsible for the communications sub system, and all the comm arrays met up at one location, Junction 24b Deck 9.

As he stopped in front of the junction the he reached for the tricorder in its holder and activated the program he had uploaded earlier, dutifully the mag-locks on the panel popped open. He certainly was glad communications was always regarded as a secondary system to relatively light security.

He removed the panel and the tube was lit by the bright isolinear racks inside. Logan reached inside his pocket and produced a small device, it was designed to generate fake messages at will, or to store and delete genuine ones as need and would allow him to control what he needed to control.

He found an small alcove at the back of the panel and clipped the device inside, wiring it into the communications system, he then activated the remote receiver and returned the cover to the Junction.

After reactivating the mag-locks he used the tricorder to check the energy output of the device, and just as planned it was low enough to not be noticeable by either the internal sensors, or someone with a tricorder that didn?t know what they were looking for.

Logan smiled as he closed the tricorder, the first objective was complete?

Ensign Simon Logan
Communications Officer

played by
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Peters
Senior Staff

Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:16 am

ON: <Peters' quarters, sometime during the night, Day 5/6>

Peters creeped down the corridor behind the red-uniformed lieutenant from the Hiroshima. The man had identified himself as Lieutenant Manley, the Chief Flight Control officer... but he moved with what looked to be a lot of combat experience. Not to mention the fact that he looked a bit old for a mere Lieutenant, Junior Grade.

Manley looked over his shoulder with a question in his eyes. Peters pointed in the proper direction, and they resumed their creeping progress. They'd been going on like this for awhile, trying to avoid being detected by the infested crew of the base, moving from shield generator to power node to shield generator and knocking out any equipment that kept Starbase 60 in the raging battle.

Outside the station the Excalibur and Hiroshima, along with a handful of other ships, battled to breach the base's shields to retake the base from the parasitic infestation. Inside the base all but a handful of the crew were infested, and fighting against their own wills and comrades. Peters himself was the only member of the station's command staff to not be infested... and that was only true thanks to Manley's timely arrival on the base.

A clattering sound around the next bend in the corridor caused Peters to jump 3 feet in the air. Manley flattened himself against the near wall and Peters dropped and ducked into a nearby doorway. That soon proved to be a mistake as he felt a hand grab his tunic and haul him to his feet.

Peters found himself face-to-face with an ensign in science blue, holding one of those infernal bugs in his hand. The bug came closer and closer to Peters' face...

"Gyah!" Peters woke with a start, sweat pouring down his face. He kicked the covers off his legs and slipped out of the bed. Something didn't feel right. He hadn't through about his first few weeks on Starbase 60 in over a year... and he'd certainly never had nightmares about it.

And why was it so blasted hot in his quarters? Walking to the computer terminal at his desk, Peters called up the environmental systems. The atmospheric pressure was 2 kilopascals above normal, humidity was nearly 92%, and the temperature was 39 degrees Celsius. IT was like the environmental systems had gone insane.

A clang from the other room made Peters jump. He backed away from the terminal as a dark form with a red eyepiece walked into the room. An odd mechanical whirring accompanied the form's movements, sending a sudden chill down Peters' spine...

Peters bolted upright in his bed, sweating. He hated it when he had nightmares... and now he was having nightmares about parasitic creatures and Borg... Not very comforting...

OFF:
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Quarterstaff
Crewmember

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:35 am

<< Sickbay, 0123, Day 5, USS Malinche >

Mason was suddenly not feeling well, his stomach began to leave a foul taste in his mouth. It was becoming unmanagable so he got up, "I will be in sickbay if i'm needed. he said to command ensign on duty. He limped into the turbolift moaning quietly holding his stomach. "Sickbay." he replied holding onto the lift wall. Being distracted by the taste he didn't realize that the lift had stopped and open the doors.

"I'll never eat that again." he thought to himself. Two nurses saw the XO walk in and helped him onto the biobed. The nurses informed him it would only take a second for the doctor on shift to see to him, one giggling as she walked away.

Lynn looked up from her assortment of sterilized needles. She gave an almost tangible sigh, all she wanted right now was to get back to the hidden stash of Jellybeans she had found the night before. ?I?m here.? The red head stated, striding over.

The man on the bio bed appeared to be Commander Hunt. Offering a smile, Lynn titled her head to the side obviously amused by the officer in her presence. ?And here I thought officers never got sick.? Her more professional manners settled upon her now. ? What seems to be the problem today Commander Hunt??

"I wish I knew. There I was sitting in the mess eating breakfast and then all of a sudden I became sick. It?s so strange I eat the same thing every morning." he said lying down. Mason was embarrassed a bit since he never felt the need to pay a visit to sickbay for anything. "I tried some anti acids but nothing worked, so here I am." he said trying to put on a smile and a brave front for those around him.

She resisted the urge to rub her eyes and yawn, not wanting to seem rude.
? Well why not tell me what you had to eat then. That?s a good place for us to start.? She prodded, moving to a counter to pick up a sterile stick. Lynn also paused for a second to locate the small flash light she would use to check his eyes with.

"Well I had some eggs and sausage with some pancakes the small ones of course and some orange juice." he said trying not to blech in public. "I haven't been sleeping well these past few weeks I don't know." stopped Mason with Jaran on his mind. "Say Lynn did you know Jaran well?" asked the first officer as a nurse ran a tricorder scan on his back.

Lynn nodded at the nurse, glad to see one of them was taking some initiative. She whistled at the description of the hearty breakfast. At least he was getting the most important meal of the day in! "Persoanlly I'd recomend not eating quite so much when your stomach is upset commander." She looked back at the commander with flat eyes, simply having nothing to supply for the current conversation. "You say you haven't been sleeping well? Can you tell me when exactly this started?" She stopped to smile, It happened to a lot of the crew it seemed. She looked over to the nurse again, waiting for the nurse to hand the tricorder over and hear the sounds it would produce for an analysis.

Mason couldn't help but smirk but not at her comment, "I just need something to rid of this nausea and stomach sourness." he said still holding his stomach. He noticed that she had somehow avoided the question regarding Jaran. Jaran's death did in fact have a signifant effect on the crew. Mason could also see that she was exhausted and trying to hide it from him. "If you don't mind me asking when was the last time you got any sleep?" he asked sitting back up.

?Oh, I was just having an off night last night. I?m perfectly fine.? She supplied, shaking her head around in response to his question. She waited for his answer to hers now.

"I go to bed early but continue to toss and turn images of past friends who I don't really have contact with anymore. Also to be honest Jaran's image sometimes pop into my mind causing me to wake up at night." he said looking around the room in a daze.

She frowned. ?Well reminiscencing shouldn?t be a harmful thing to your health, Mr. Hunt. Have you seen the ship?s counselor about this?? The poor officer was going to have a lot of damage control it seemed, after this Jaran fiasco. She briefly gave thought to his stomach problem, deciding it was probably better to prescribe the commanding officer something for that discomfort. ? or the stomach problems I?ll give you Piperazines Antihistamines. That?ll allow you to hold down your food and stop your nausea.? She made a note to give him Valoid and warn him of it?s drowsy effects.
? We?ll have you feeling in tip top shape in no time, Commander.? The young doctor flashed a smile his way, exposing beautiful white teeth. ?When you take those antihistamines, you may feel drowsy. I don?t recommend you over do it while under their influence. Or operate heavy machinery for that manner.? Standing up she nodded her head as she spoke, pleased that this visit had gone so well. ? If you have any problems please come back and tell me?And be sure to take care of the sleeping problem.?

Lynn waved to a nearby nurse, and waited a few moments for the patient to collect himself. Her shift would be over in an hour or so?that was the wonder of Alpha shift.

Jp by :
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

and
Ensign Lynn Quarterstaff
Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Fairbairn
Senior Staff

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:41 pm

<<USS Malinche, Sickbay, 0845, Day 6>>

Marco couldn't quite get the tune from this morning out of his head, his destination no doubt helped. In his right hand he carried one of the larger PADDS, the ones usually only carried around by Command Officer and Senior NCO's, had one very important stop to make before getting on with the day, the day that he was sure was going be launch day - Engineering had apparently been geared to go from the previous night. And he he desperately needed the Captains rubber stamp on a few things before they left dock, for one thing he was going to need the entire rankers in the shuttlebay with their full bags, ready to swap over to the new quarters allocations he had devised. He rounded a corner and saw his target, the Scot was just rounding another corner further up, looking in a bit of a hurry.

"Leftenant!" the Chief called, breaking into a short jog. "Leftenant, sir! Dawkter!" he yelled, trying to catch up.

Cameron was pulling his medical coat on, he hadn't even had a chance to shave and a scraggly shaddow of stubble layered across his chin. He heard the voice and his head hammered him like a dull hangover though it really was just a thin lack of sleep. He wheeled round, pulling the coat tight around him and blinked at Tupalov. "Yes, Marco, how can I help?" I meek smile formed on his lips.

Marco made an appreciateive noise. Weights he was fine with, but jogging first thing morning was not welcomed. "Thank the god I found you, I have a slight problem" he said, trying to recover his breath.

"What is it?" Cam snapped immediately, brushing a loose strand of blonde hair from his forehead and sighing to calm himself. He took into account Tupalov's situation from their meeting the previous afternoon and told himself it could be important. "Sorry, Chief, what's wrong?" His voice was calmer.

Marco didn't intentiony furrow his brow when the Doctor snapped at him, though he did conciously bring it back to normal. "It's sensitive, about one of the rankers and an alleged incident of assault..." He looked around the corridor. "Is there somewhere more private perhaps sir?" he asked, forgetting about the 'sir' stuff.

Nodding, Cameron turned and beckoned him. "Not a problem, we'll go to my office." He said, his voice was so croaky for some reason. He needed a strong coffee. He led the Cob through the main entrance of sickbay and gave Lynn an apologetic glance and a look that said he'd explain his lateness later on. Stepping through into the glass room, the door pannel slid shut behind them and the Doctor immediately turned to the replicator. "Coffee, hot and white with sugar." He ordered. The beverage formed and he took it straight away, sipping greedily to straighten his head out. "Can I get you anything, my friend?" He asked Tupalov with a smile.

Marco appreciated the offer, it was almost unheard of that an officer would offer an enlisted man a drink. "Coffee black and two please sir" he replied. Adding "Thank you" as he stepped back into the path of the door where he had previously stood aside for the Doctor to close it.

Cam set his own drink down and decided to remove his jacket, revealing that he didn't wear the full uniform complement below and simply the teal undershirt with the pips on his collar. He hated the damned jacket. "Coffee, black and hot with two sugars." He demanded from the replicator and handed the drink to the Chief before taking his chair, smiling and talking away. "You're a rear breed, Mister Tupalov, but a good one at that. Why do I get the feeling that you feel slightly uncomfortable around me?" He asked, gesturing to the other chair as he made quick idle chat.

Marco sat down, as the Doctor suggested - uncomfortably. "You're an officer, but you seem to break the mould of the majority. And self harming as the statement may be..." he began. "Yesterday makes me wonder how many young men and women, just boys and girls in a uniform, you have let go taking drugs." He briefly met the Doctors eyes, and then looked away. "What such a man would do this? A good man, or a dangerous one? I ask myself." He took a sip of the coffee, and another, anything to keep his hands busy and his face covered.

Cameron leant forward onto the desk, clasping his hands and nearing himself to the older man. "If it had been anyone younger with less experience and a less distinguished record - I'd have filed a reprimand and placed them on an order to rehabilitate." He shrugged and sighed, leaning back. "I guess ruining your career just didn't appeal to me. After all those years you're probably more valuable with that toxin tearing you up rather than stone cold clean off the thing. At the end of the day I know I can help you personally. As I said before - you WILL come off it. It's a guarantee." He took a sip of coffee and licked his lips slightly. "You're not a bad man, Marco, you've just been doing this too long."

Marco laughed nasally. "Too long is right...nearly forty years in space you know." he took some more coffee. "et tu?" he asked, wondering why the UT never translated the old Earth languages into Terran Standard.

"Moi? Ack I'm just a doctor, buddy, and that's it. I've been floating around out here for over a decade now and I've learnt to avoid all the shite that comes with it, apart from following orders perhaps." He shrugged, drank a little more of his coffee then gestured to the pad. "So how can I help?"

Marco raised his eyebrows by way of acknowledgeing the answer given. "There's a young man, he says he was punched by another man, but he won't name the man." Marco considered his words carefuly, trying to get it spot on, lest the Doctor catch wind...

Keeping his face straight and not showing a flicker of emotion, Cameron immediately though of Lieutenant Hawkins' visit yesterday and hearing that the Chief had assaulted the young officer. He hadn't exactly stuck up for Marco but he hadn't downsized his actions. Shrugging with impatience again, he waved a hand. "Go on..."

"Well he has a bruise on his cheek, fair enough ya, but I'm not convinved." Marco looked to the corner of the room for a second. " So I can settle this off record with him, and trump him so to speak, how would he have 'manufactured' this bruise?" he tried not to seem so eager to get an answer, and to remain his cool self.

"Well he could have injected a vial of Seffanin into his system to induce a leakage of blood into the tissue." The doctor shrugged. "That's generally how we'd manufacture any kind of bruising onto a subject if it was necessary. It's near enough impossible to get a hold of the drug, though. We keep it locked up good and tight. Who does this concern?" The doctor added, testing the air.

Even if he could get his hands on the drug, it wouldn't take long to trace it back to him if it was a controlled substance. "Nobody in particular, sir." Marco replied. "Just a lad I would rather not see in trouble, Da?" 'Damn' thought Marco.

Cameron nodded. "Well I hope that was helpful but I wouldn't like to see you playing anything off against anyone. If something went wrong, Marco well - Christ...you'd be better off just owning up to it."

Marco wondered if he sensed a hidden message there, and nodded sollemnly. "Would there be another way? He obviously hasn't hold of this drug I wouldn't think."

"He wouldn't, not aboard the Malinche anyway. We keep a sensor controlled track on every vial and replicated substance in here. He'd get nothing past us." Cameron offered again, wondering if this was settling the score.

"Ok so a genuine bruise then" Marco confirmed. "Any way he'd have been able to create one in an accurate spot such as his cheek?" he asked, he had to know how to get a passable bruise before he went in front of Kersare next.

"It's definitely possible, yes. If he wanted to create any kind of epidermic dampening then there are a number of ways to cause it. Your tissue is very weak and sometimes the slightest knock in the right place can cause a large, unequestionnable bruise."

Marco nodded, having an idea. "Thank you sir" he said, standing up and placing the almost empty coffee cup on the desk. "Most helpful"

"Not at all. Marco...one last thing, did you take a fix this morning?" The Doctor asked quickly and sharply as he stood to see the man out.

Marco wheeled around and locked eyes, pausing for a few seconds. "Of coffee, asprin and a shower" he replied.

"The minute the pain comes back you take it, do you understand?" Cameron said with a real gaze of seriousness in his eyes. "I want to talk with you tonight, I have an idea. As for now get yourself to work and try to keep your mind off it, okay?"

Marco simply nodded and said "Da...tonight". He wasn't looking forward to that, whatever it was.

"Good, I'll contact you." Giving a stern nod of agreement and assuming it was as good as a promise from the Chief, the Doctor simply turned and sat down at his desk to finish his coffee, reading up on the morning report.

JP by:

CPO Marco Tupalov
Chief of the Boat
USS Malinche

AND
Doctor (Lt.) Cameron Fairbairn
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche
NCC-38897-B

"Some patients, though conscious that their condition is perilous, recover their health simply through their contentment with the goodness of the physician." - Hippocrates 460-400 B.C.

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:03 pm

<<Kersare's quarters, 0930, Day 6>>

After waking up, Isabel had ordered breakfast from her replicator and enjoyed it slowly. She'd conciously decided not to do any work until after she'd eaten. There would be plenty of time for work, before they left and during their next mission.

Having just finished her breakfast, Isabel stood and moved over to her desk. She was rather curious as to whether or not Cameron had responded to her message the other day. If at all possible, she hoped to have the situation resolved by the time they left.

Her eyes scanned through the messages, and sure enough, there was one from Cameron. It confirmed her suspicions from before and also verified Jack's story. She sighed, rubbing her temples; this message wouldn't be pleasant.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Chief Petty Officer Marco Tupalov
Subject: Altercation

Chief Tupalov,

Upon speaking with Lieutenant JG Hawkins and Lieutenant Fairbairn, I've come to the determination that Lieutenant Hawkins did not hit you. Mr. Hawkins' faced was bruised and sore enough that it required ice packs. You, however, did not have a mark on you.

I have a feeling you're trying to test me and my limits; I strongly suggest you resist the urge to do so in the future. The Malinche is not run through violence and if I hear of any more instances of you hitting or otherwise injuring another crewmember there will be consequences. Also, I expect no more lying.

There will be no charges brought against you for this incident at this time. However, you will be required to attend regular counseling sessions and actively participate in them. Your first appointment will be within the next twenty-four hours, and after that the frequency of your sessions will be determined.

These orders are non-negotiable.

Captain Isabel Kersare
-----------------------------------------------------------------

As she finished writing the message, Isabel stared at it a few minutes. It would certainly not go over well with Marco. Actually, that was an understatement - he was more likely to be extremely pissed off at her. It was important to address the situation now though, before it got any worse.

Isabel had no doubt that he could be a very dangerous man, especially if he wanted to be. In a way, he worried her more than Jaran. Jaran, while unpredictable at times, still had a good heart. Marco...he was a ruthless man, who seemed to seethe with anger - a bomb waiting to go off.

Her eyes moved over to the items Jaran had left for her. By not addressing Jaran's problems earlier, she had let him down. Perhaps if she had done something he wouldn't have killed people...wouldn't have been sentenced...wouldn't have been murdered. Isabel felt a lump form in her throat, but choked back the emotion. She couldn't let Marco meet a similar fate.

Though her mind was troubled about the whole situation, she knew she had to do something. She had to get Marco the help that she could see he needed. He wouldn't agree, of course, but perhaps sometime later he would understand that she was looking out for him.

With a final heavy sigh, she sent the message.

OFF: :X Uh oh, Marco's gonna be pissed....
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A