Blood and Iron

Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:55 pm

<USS Malinche, Shuttlebay, 1555, MD03>

Joe flew the small shuttle through the main shuttlebays forcefield, faster than he probably should and certainly faster than the Malinche had told him to, and managed to stop abruptly just before he collide with a Argo class transport and brought the type 9 gently down onto the deck plating.

He typed a command into the LCARs control pad and the sound of the large bay doors began echoing throughout the shuttle bay as they closed, he then powered down the engines completely and rose from his seat, he was removing his bags from the storage compartment when he heard the shuttles hatch open?

Lirad looked into the shuttle and frowned, "What are you doing? Do you know fast you came into this shuttlebay?"

Joe looked at the Trill who he just assumed was someone in charge of the bay, and grinned broadly, ?Not nearly fast enough my friend, hey, we both know that the regulation stopping distances for these things are conservative at best, a good pilot can bring on to a stop in the third of a time the regs say it should take?

Lirad sighed silently....young people. "That may be true to an extent, but as a Starfleet Officer you need to follow regulations regardless. You, the shuttle, and the shuttlebay are all in one piece though, so for the time being, I'll let it go."

?That we are, and didn?t it add an element of excitement to your day?? He winked at the Trill and handed him a PADD, ?Well this shuttle and this officer have just been assigned here, care to help me out and sign us both in?? The Hallow had a surplus shuttle and from what little he had heard the Malinche might need a shuttle or two replacing, so when the opportunity arose to deliver one he jumped at the chance.

The Trill nodded, taking the PADD from the young man to sign them in. "So, where did you come from, Ensign?"

Joe slung his bag over his shoulder, ?The excitement which is the USS Harrow, been assigned to chart safe routes through the Livinian nebulas, hardly an exciting way to spend 8 months, so I requested a transfer to this good ship, any wisdom to impart on a guy on his first day??

Lirad paused a moment, considering what 'wisdom' he should impart on the newest addition to the Malinche. "Well, the Chief Flight Control Officer is currently on trial...if he does come back, I'd suggest being careful around him. Overall though, we have a solid crew. Most are fairly level-headed."

?Oh trial?! Doesn?t have anything to do with why I?m delivering shuttles does it?? He exited the shuttle and closed the door before walking across the vast room with the shuttlebay manager, this was already looking like a more exciting posting.

"Don't get too excited. Several crewmembers were killed when Mr. Abubakar decided to mutiny. He stole two shuttles, one of which was destroyed. When we found him again, here, he fired into our shuttlebay, causing a good deal of damage," Lirad explained, walking alongside the young man.

?Well I can certainly see why I should be careful around him then,? he glanced around the expanse of the room, noticing the obviously recently replaced deck panels, ?And I just love what you?ve done with the place? He smiled at the crewman as they reached the large doors that lead to the rest of the ship, ?Well this is my stop, thanks for dealing with the paperwork man.?

"Not all me," Lirad said. "The engineers should be getting your compliments." They reached the doors and the Trill smiled, "You're welcome. By the way, I am Warrant Officer 3rd Class Lirad Folen. I hope you enjoy your time with us."

?Lirad, I?m Joe Carson, FCO? He shook the Trills hand enthusiastically, ?Nice to meet ya!? He smiled once again, patted the Trill on the arm and headed out the large doors.

Lirad blinked. Joe certainly had a great deal of enthusiasm. It would be interesting to work with him, he was sure. The Trill smiled, he remembered the eagerness he once had as well, though it had diminished after becoming joined - the experiences he was made aware of matured him to an extent. Yes, Lirad decided, Joe would fit in just fine.

OFF:

A JP by; (Deep Breath!)

Warrant Officer Lirad Folen (NPC)
Shuttlebay Manager

played by

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer

And

Ensign Joseph Carson
Flight Control Officer

played by
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Peters
Senior Staff

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:50 am

ON: <Main Engineering, USS Malinche, 1915>

Peters walked into Main Engineering and looked around. He was still out of uniform, but no one here would fail to recognize him. Indeed, most of the small handful of personnel on duty looked up, saw who had entered, and promptly went back to work, largely ignoring his presence.

Looking around, Peters saw Dirland, Vir, and Corrin all working at various tasks. From what he could see on the consoles it was mostly monitoring and testing repair jobs going on elsewhere on the ship. With a look at the Master Systems Display along the bulkhead, Peters saw that there were no more red-coded areas. That meant that all the critical repairs had been done, leaving the orange-coded systems, representing systems that it was inconvenient to have out of order, were the highest priority, followed by the yellow-coded crew convenience systems. After that were the blue-coded cosmetic repairs, burnt paint, warped panels, cracked display covers.

Looking towards his office he was surprised to see Ensign C'eltor hard at work at her usual station just to the left of his office door. He had planned to speak with her when he came back on duty in the morning, but since they were both here, there was no time like the present. Smiling, Peters walked over to C'eltor's console.

"Evening, Ensign. Don't you ever take a break?" he asked casually. She nearly jumped three feet in the air, then looked up to see who was speaking to her. She then cracked a smile and waved him off with a hand.

"Not when there's repair work to be done, boss. Besides, if I take a break, then the rest of these slackers will think they can too," she sat back from the console, which Peters could see was displaying the daily repair reports and service requests, and pushed a lock of hair behind her ear. "What can I do for you, Chief?"

"Step into my office for a moment, would you?" he asked and nodded his head towards the door to the right. She nodded as she set the console to a wait status and stood. As they entered, Peters gestured to the chair in front of his desk. "Have a seat."

Once they were both seated, Peters steepled his fingers in front of him and looked across the desk. "We have a person in our department who I feel hasn't gotten the full recognition they deserve for the job they perform on a daily basis. They are always on time for duty, frequently work late, and have a tendency to go above and beyond their duties to aid in the smooth running of this ship. I think we should recognize that person's hard work with a promotion."

C'eltor cocked her head to one side. "Well, if they're as good as you say they are, then I would have to agree. Who is it, and when do we tell them?"

Peters smiled and reached into the drawer of his desk. He pulled out a small, felt covered box, and slid it across the desk. "I'm telling her now. Congratulations, Lieutenant C'eltor."

C'eltor's eyes widened as she hesitantly reached for the box. She picked it up and opened it to reveal a small black pip. With fumbling fingers she almost dropped the pip as she affixed it to her collar, but after a moment it was in place. She opened her mouth to start to say something, then closed it, opened it, and closed it again.

Peters shook his head, then spoke again. "I also expect you to take tomorrow off. You deserve a break as much as I do, and I'll be here to keep the rest of the department in line. Understood?"

"Y-yes sir," she replied, still a bit stunned.

"Good. Dismissed, Lieutenant," Peters said, thinking back to when he had first made Lieutenant, Junior Grade. It had been quite a shock to him as well, he thought as C'eltor stood and walked out the door.

OFF:
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Benson
Senior Staff

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:49 pm

<<Starbase 259, Courtroom, 1625, Day 3>>

Art Lassiter tapped his fingers on the table. One last witness, and this man was going to be key. He stood and addressed the bench.

"The prosecution would like to call Lieutenant Junior Grade Jonathan Hawkins of the USS Malinche." Art stated.

Jack visible sighed, he had thought he might have managed to escape needing to take the stand, but it would appear not, he rose from his chair and straightened his dress uniform, as best he could with his arm still in a sling, and walked towards the witness box to take his seat.

"Will you please state your name and rank for the court Lieutenant?" Asked Art as he walked to the witness stand.

Jack sat back in the chair, assessing the man walking towards him as he answered what would be the easiest question of the next few minutes, ?Lieutenant Junior Grade Jonathan Hawkins, Acting Chief Intelligence Officer.?

"And Mister Hawkins, what was your most recent assignment while aboard the USS Malinche?" He asked.

?Haven?t really had an assignment ?Mister Lassiter?, just biding my time, was planning on playing in a tiddly-winks tournament but, well?? he moved his sling clad arm and raised his eyebrows. Jack really didn?t want to be sat here and he was damned if he was gonna let this lawyer try and run rings around him.

He cocked an eyebrow.

"Lieutenant, I'll remind you that you're under oath. Please state for the court what your actions entailed for the last few days in regards to Mister Jaran." He said shortly.

Jack was tempted to carry on, at least being held in contempt would get him out of this stand, but he glanced up and saw that Kersare didn?t seem too impressed and decided against his next planned reply about donning a flowery dress.

?With the help of the Starbases security chief I went undercover in the brig to keep a watchful eye over Jaran.?

"And what did you learn of Jaran's involvement on the dates in question?" Lassiter asked, thankful that at least someone besides Benson was being cooperative.

?Not a hell of a lot, I wasn?t there to investigate his actions, they were already well established, I mean the guy was in the brig after all? I thought someone in your line of work would know there?s little point investigating the crime when the perpetrator is already behind bars? Jack slapped a fake grin on his face.

"Mister Hawkins. Did you learn of Jaran's involvement from Jaran while undercover? Yes or no please." Said Art icily.

?No, I have no idea what part Jaran played, or did not play, in the mutiny??

"No further questions." Said Lassiter, thoroughly disgusted. Who was this woman Kersare who had officers defending a murderous mutineer on the stand?

OFF:

A JP by:

Lieutenant JG Jonathan Hawkins
Acting Chief Intel Officer
USS Malinche

&
Lieutenant James Samuel Benson III
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:31 pm

<Starbase 259, Courtroom, 1630, MD03>

Jack watched as the noticeably annoyed attorney returned to his seat, it wasn?t that he was purposefully trying to help Jaran, or that he condoned what happened in the slightest, but he still couldn?t shake the imagine of Jaran and the phaser?s emitter pointed straight at his own head

Besides his trip to see Jaran had never been about assessing whether or not the accused was guilty, but about what made him tick, and if the defence knew any of that, or anything about the aborted escape attempt, then he wasn?t expecting to be able to fend the next lawyer off quite so quickly or easily.

He sighed and straightened slightly as the next man rose and began his slow walk to face Jack?

OFF:
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Hunt
Senior Staff

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:28 pm

<<USS Malinche-B>>
<Ensign Rayne's Quarters, Deck Six, Day 3, 1500>

Mason helped her up and looked at her with a smile, "Nothing to be sorry about Rayne. She is your craft and you have every right to being a bit protective. Now let's go down there and have a look ok." said Hunt walking with Rayne to the door. The cooridor was quiet and serene as if no one had been in it for days.

As they walked down to the turbolift, he could feel a slight chill over his neck even though the environmental controls were working properly. The feeling he had was one of someone or something watching them. At first he blamed it on the lack of sleep he had been getting these past few weeks but all he could do was stare down into the corridor as the lift doors closed.

Being bothered by that feeling and from what he heard Rayne say about who knew about the Dawn, Mason had to ask the question, "Rayne, are you absolutely sure about everyone who know about the Dawn. I know what you said but..." he paused hoping she would get his meaning and waited for her response.

OFF: Sorry for the short post Rayne. Up for a JP?
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Barrett
Senior Staff

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:07 am

[[USS Malinche]]
[Holodeck 1, Day 3, 1600]

"Oh, bring it on."

Jason spun around, his right sai flying from his hand and slamming clean into one of the men that were charging toward him. Ducking and then slipping by his next attacker to jam his remaining sai in his attackers back. He yanked it loose and then let his right foot slam into the underside of the incoming man with such force that he easily heard the man's neck snap back and crack.

Using a spin kick, Jason took down another assilant who was weilding a bow before retrieving his sai from the enemy that he had buried it in. Using them to block an explosive flurry of short sword strikes, Jason back flipped and then charged forward, knocking away the swords and slamming the sai's int the man's respective sides, puncturing thier lungs.

"This is getting to easy," Jason grunted. He side stepped an incoming attack and then used a kick to knock the man flying backwards, again hearing the crunch of ribs again.

Jason had been aware that he had been getting stronger but something different was happening this time; it was like he could see everything before it happened....and that was scaring him.

Moving to the left, his sai's pierced the hearts of the last two men before they dropped to the deck. It was then that he noticed that he wasn't the only one in the room.

OFF: Tag anyone?
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Akios
Crewmember

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:18 am

ON: <<Bridge, MD03 1930>>

With Sojarick (NPC) gone, it only took Akios a few more minutes to remove the remaining two panels. He was decoupling the inductor module when he heard Sojarick return.

"So your colony, near Cestus? You have gorns for neighbors then. Foolish place to set a colony."

"The people of Cestus III get along with them well enough most of the time, and the gorn don't like our colony world. The gravity's too light." Akios pulled himself out of the comparment and started scanning the inductor module with a tricorder.

"Cestus III now is second colony there, do you not know? Well, maybe you get lucky and they attack there first, give you warning. What is wrong with that?" Sojarick asked, indicating the module.

"I don't think they'd attack the president's homeworld again," Akios said. "It's contaminated...I don't recognize the particle signature. Weird, but I can filter the contaminants out." He stood and, after a quick visit to the replicator in the breakroom, sat again with another tool, a box to which he attached the errant module. He activated it, and the polaron inductor began to glow. After watching it for a few seconds, he set it aside.

"Hmph. Would not have needed repairs if we had multipolar systems," Sojarick said, leaning back in his seat.

This time Akios actually was surprised. Multipolar components were new, and wouldn't see widespread use until they'd gone through another round or two of testing. It really was something he wouldn't have expected a Flight Conn officer to know. So, of course, Akios had to act like it was common knowledge. "Yes, and if we had had multipolar systems twelve years ago, the early days of the Dominion War would have been entirely different."

"Ha! Yes, and if Federation Science Council listened to Tellar, it would be possible. Instead, we have to wait for Dominion to attack with y-polaron weapons before six axis theory taken seriously."

"You know that is not true, Mr. Sojarick. The tau-polaron was first produced experimentally three years before the Dominion War began..."

"Produced by tellarite science!" Sojarick interrupted.

"Produced by an interstellar team of research scientists, the same ones who first presented the six axis theory..."

"With tellarite scientists!"

"...who still needed captured Dominion technology to figure out how to create and then shield against y-polarons."

Sojarick stopped and scowled. "True. But now all six polaron particle types can be generated artificially. Tellarite science theory of six axis polarons proven true!"

"And the theory was confirmed and expanded upon by Borg data collected by Voyager. And even though we can generate them, we still have no use for z-polarons, tau-polarons, and omega-polarons. The original six axis theory proposed that all six polaron types would have useful unique properties. Instead, all we really have is the one unique property of all polarons--universal orientation."

"Bah." Sojarick waved a pudgy hand. "Was rider added by vulcans. Hypothesis always subject to revision."

Akios had to close his eyes to keep from laughing aloud. Once he could speak, he decided to try and change the subject. "Mr. Sojarick, you must not have been on Malinche for long to have been assigned helm duty, on beta shift, in drydock. I suppose that means you know nothing about the courtmartial?"

The tellarite looked uncomfortable. "Beta shift is quiet. I have been here..." he said, and stopped. He leaned close, and in a lowered voice, said, "I'm not supposed to discuss it until the proceedings have concluded. In theory, anyone in Flight Control could be called to testify. All I say is, CFCO disobeyed Captain's orders; some agreed with him. Injuries, deaths, theft, and damage to the shuttle bay and many ship's systems were the result. If you can't wait until the courtmartial is over, try reading Engineering repair logs."

Just then the tool Akios had been using to decontaminate the polaron inductor chose that moment to beep, indicating it was done.

"Ah, I need to get back to work. Do you wish to assist? This is the most difficult part, but a man of your skill should be able to offer useful assistance."

Sojarick grinned again. "I have duties to attend to. It is time for me to push the button again. I will speak to you again, aurelian."

With that the tellarite left, allowing Akios to get back to work. Well, this part did require more concentration, at least while reinstalling the repaired module. He crawled back under the console and began running a phase neutralizer over the contact plates, getting them ready for the module.

He couldn't help but wonder what might have caused the contamination. Could it have been the source of those readings in the shuttle bay? If so, then all polaron-based systems on the ship should be checked.

OFF:

Ensign Sojarick (NPC)
Flight Control Officer
Ensign Turuas'ta Akios
Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:39 pm

<<Corridor, 1644, Day 3>>

Britney turned a corner, heading back to her room. Meeting Rachel had gone well, she thought. She seemed like a nice woman, a good counselor. Hopefully she'd feel welcome on the Malinche.

After leaving the new counselor's quarters, Britney had decided to take a walk around the ship to see how repairs were coming along.

The corridors weren't quite as busy as they had been the past couple days - the major repairs had been completed, it seemed, so fewer extra people were around helping. Since she just came aboard, Britney hadn't seen the Malinche at its best, though it was looking better and better each day.

<<Nora(NPC) & Britney's Quarters, 1655>>

Finally arriving at her quarters, Britney paused at the door, still getting used to the doors automatically opening for her. As she walked in, she noticed her roommate. "Nora?"

"Yes, I'm Nora. Been waiting to meet me, I hear?" A woman with shoulder length wavy black hair turned from the small pile of clothes on her bed.

Britney nodded, "You talked to Caleb(NPC)?"

Nora smiled, "Absolutely. I was a bit surprised we hadn't run into each other yet, myself."

"That's what I've been the thinking the past few days," Britney smiled, walking further into the bedroom and sitting on her bed.

"I know," the Betazoid replied.

Britney said, "Have you met the new Chief Counselor?"

"Not yet...I thought she would be getting settled in and reading over the crew's profiles. Plus, we're going out to the Starbase tonight. I'll go meet her in the morning," Nora replied. Picking up one of the outfits, a lovely pale blue top and longer flowing skirt, she started changing into it.

"Getting ready this early?" Britney recalled Caleb telling her he'd come by to get her at 1800, and it was just slightly after 1700 hours.

Nora nodded and laughed good-heartedly, "I promised Emily(NPC) that I'd help her find a good outfit and fix her hair."

Britney smiled, "Okay, I was just curious because - "

"Caleb told you 1800 hours," Nora finished. "Sorry, a bit of an annoying habit of mine...I'm a Betazoid. I try not to pry into people's thoughts, but every once in awhile I slip and end up finishing their sentences..."

"It's okay, no harm done," Britney replied. "Seems like a helpful trait for a counselor."

"Counselor's mate, but close enough," Nora smiled, running a brush through her hair. "You better get ready, Caleb likes to be a little early," she winked.

Britney nodded, "Glad we finally met. I'll see you in a little while."

"Bye for now," Nora said with a wave, heading out the door as her skirt flowed around her.

OFF:

Crewman Nora Zeral (NPC)
Counselor's Mate

and

Crewman Britney Liras (PNPC)
Captain's Yeoman

played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Fairbairn
Senior Staff

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:49 pm

<<Starbase 259, Courtroom, 1630, MD03>>

Cameron watched as Hawkins made his initial report. The young man concerned him deeply ever since his first visit to the sickbay and his request of course to follow onto the plan that he had devised. Granted, the Doctor saw the similarities that Jack made between himself and Jaran - the difference was that the Doctor saw the presonality difference and of course the difference in attitude.

Knowing he was up next, after the defense attorney's line of questioning, Cam couldn't help but feel threatened. He had collaborated with Jack with a full understanding of what the intelligence officer's plan had been and of course even aided him and supported him with advice. Would his testimony be used to front that? Would Hawkin's? He hoped not.

Sighing, the Doctor slumped back a little in his chair, exchanging a mild and shy glance with Yrel to Isabel's left. He craved her at the moment. The same excitement he had felt beforehand when the two had first met alone in the ships lounge. She was so incredibly beautiful...and so mindworthy. He also allowed his gaze to drip over Isabel. As usual his good Captain and friend sat perfectly still, eyes agaze on the witness in the testimony stand. Isa was too strong-willed to show how the trial itself penetrated her. He knew that fine well. And admired it.

Glancing down at the ground, he lifted his eyes and tried to meet Hawkin's.

'Please, kiddo, be respectful.' He willed silently in his head. 'Remember who you are, who you work for and remember that you really ARE different from Jaran.'
Doctor (Lt.) Cameron Fairbairn
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche
NCC-38897-B

"Some patients, though conscious that their condition is perilous, recover their health simply through their contentment with the goodness of the physician." - Hippocrates 460-400 B.C.

Rayne
Crewmember
Location: Running away from the penguins that come one by one to steal away my sanity

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:17 am

ON:

<<USS Malinche-B>>
<Turbolift, Day 3, 1500 hours>

"I only trust those who I can depend on when I need them Commander." said Sara. "And to answer your other question." Sara simply nodded to Hunt, she had seen the person who had been following them. "They always work in pairs of two commander. If one gets caught the other tries to help the other escape or kills him or her if they can't." she said looking fowards. "I had hoped that they didn't know I was aboard the Malinche, but it seems they finally figured it out. Ever heard of the terrorist group J4L? I seem to have gotten myself on one of their bounty lists. I prevented several of their bombings from succeeding and killed several of their members recently durring a E5 operation. Now you know why I disappeared back on Direidi." said Sara watching how the commander reacted to what she said.

OFF: Tags Hunt and yes a JP would be good.
Ensign Sara Rayne
Acting Assistant Chief Intelligence Officer

USS Malinche-B NCC-38897-B

"Beware The Penguins!"

Sovereign
Senior Staff

Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:40 pm

<<Starbase 259, Courtroom, 1635, MD03>>

With Hawkins clever evasion of the prosecution's questions over, Yrel sat back with a uncertain, but consistant, grim look on her face. So far the trial was going up and down, with one picture coming into focus about the ruthless killer Jaran going on a demonic rampage to drag innocent officers into hell, while the other painted the crew of the Malinche - or at least the captain - as incompetant and shameful officers that might as well encouraged the event of Jaran's escape.

Neither was pleasant to have to deal with, and both were entire inacurate. Either side seemed to parade around with the idea of absolute extremes that it made one's head spin with frustration, right before the urge the stun-phaser them both boiled to the top.

The only relieving thing that kept Yrel from becoming insane was Cameron. The memories of that quiant little meet and greet in the lounge that could have easily gone over the top. A minute more, tops, would have been all that was needed to have the lounge of the Malinche become sexually christened by two practical strangers. The pace was surely too fast for most to have been able to resist. It took such an effort not to let things continue on the path it was headed...esecially against her own hermonal desires.

The idea of dinner was sounding better and better as she thought about it. This trial was draining her emotional and intellectually, and the only thing that could turn things around before she'd collapse was the thought of being overwhelmed by what had been started yesterday, to let herself be taken by that fast paced, intense thrill that had pulled her into his lap.

'Stop distracting yourself, Yrel! You're acting like a teenager...' her mind pestered. She shook her head and returned her attention to the stand.
Lieutenant Yrel Sovereign
Chief Science Officer
& Second Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Benson
Senior Staff

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:45 pm

ON:
<<Starbase 259, Corridors outside Courtroom 3, 1730>>

Benson sighed and leaned against the walls of the corridor as he waited for the evening adjournment. The judge usually called an adjournment around 5 or 5:15, sometimes 5:30, and now Benson was getting impatient. This damn trial wasn't going well at all, and it was due to a lack of knowledge and something else that Benson couldn't quite figure out yet. Something was keeping officers from testifying agaisnt Jaran, and when they were put on the stand, they weren't giving damning answers. The two that could have given the most hard evidence against Jaran, Sovereign and Hawkins, both chose to remain nebulous at best. Even Kersare hadn't thrown all of her weight into her testimony, choosing, at least in his opinion, a reserved stance instead.

Isabel walked out of the courtroom, glad for the break from the tense situation. The whole thing was rather nerve-racking, especially since it was one of her crewmembers on trial and since the defense attorney seemed determined to blame her.

James moved from the wall towards his commanding officer.

"Captain." He addressed her, letting her know just what kind of mood he was in with his tone and his choice of words.

Turning around, Isabel quirked an eyebrow as she saw James. "Hello Lieutenant."

"Can I have a word with you Captain?" He asked, moving towards her.

She nodded and motioned to the side, away from the others. Isabel waited for him to begin.

James moved to stand beside her.

"Captain, I'm not goin' to lie. This trial is beginnin' to concern me. This shoulda' been an open an' shut case an' shoulda' finished up by now. But some of my fellow officers ain't givin' testimony properly. Hawkins for example." James said, thumbing over his shoulder in the direction of the courtroom.

"It makes Jaran look like he's everyone's favorite crew member an' helps the defense when that stuff happens." James continued.

"Unfortunately Lieutenant, Mr. Abubakar has a rather ruthless attorney. He's been trying to shift the blame to others, which is distracting," Isabel began. "As far as the other officers' testimony...They have to respond honestly, and even though Jaran has done some terrible things, some people feel sorry for him nonetheless. Plus, Mr. Hawkins has his own unique view of the situation."

"Well, I've been talkin' te the prosecutor, mister Lassiter. He's told me that you should be prepared to have Jaran back aboard and working under your command if this continues. He can't guarantee a conviction on any of the charges if the crew of the Malinche refuses to testify." James said with a dark tone, as if the devil himself were going to put on a uniform and join the Malinche in that eventuality.

Isabel paused a moment before answering, "The crew isn't refusing to testify. They are testifying - it's just that they're answering as they feel they should, or perhaps Mr. Lassitter needs to ask more in depth questions. In either case, I highly doubt that being aboard the Malinche would be a pleasant experience for Jaran after this. He may well request a transfer if he were sent back."

"I'd rather see Jaran servin' time for what he's done than see him sittin' behind the conn of a ship. No offense ma'am, but I don't trust him with your life or mine or anyone else's on that ship." Said the Texan with his southern drawl coming more eminently into his voice.

"I agree there needs to be a punishment for what he's done. This could be an important turning point for him, a make or break situation. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot we can do other than to see how things unfold and what the judge decides," she replied.

Isabel could tell the situation upset James. All she could offer were some words, "It'll work out right in the end. Have faith in that."

"I have faith Cap'n... Just like Thomas." He said, quoting from the Bible before he nodded and excused himself, walking off.

Watching her Chief Security/Tactical Officer walk off, Isabel sighed. Things overall just didn't seem to be going well. No matter what the outcome of the trial, some would be unhappy. Perhaps she should talk to Britney about trying to find something to help boost crew morale; the trial was a very burdening experience.

OFF:

A JP by,

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche

&
Lieutenant James Samuel Benson III
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:30 pm

<Starbase 259, Courtroom, 1635, MD03>

Saxon looked at his notes on the defense table, not because he needed to, but just to let Hawkins' anxiety build. Rubbing his hands together, he gave a rather creepy smile to Hawkins, "So Mr. Hawkins, tell us, how long have you been with the Malinche?"

Jack sat back in his chair, the seat creaking slightly as he did so, ?About 2 days?? He replied before adding an exaggerated creepy smile back to the lawyer.

"I see....And being aboard for only two days, you took it upon yourself to go undercover?" Saxon had been facing the audience, but turned back to look at Hawkins as he finished his question.

?Yes?? Jack could sense the attorney was trying to set him up for something, but as long as he kept his answers as monosyllabic as possible then the man before him wouldn?t have much to go on.

"Would you say that going undercover in such a manner, without really knowing Mr. Abubakar, could be conveyed as dangerous? How much preparation did you actually do?" Saxon could see he'd have to really work on Hawkins, but he was up for it. He'd worked with much more resistant witnesses.

?Oh no, it was a cake walk really?? He rolled his eyes at the question and leant back, resting his feet on the hand rail along the witness box, a gesture that elicited a stern cough from the judge, he lowered his feet and resumed ?And as for preparation I informed our chief of security and checked the plan with this stations security chief too, oh and I visited our good doctor to get a vague disguise.? He glanced briefly towards a slightly concerned looking Cameron.

"I see, so you got some one-sided information from the Malinche's brand new Chief Security/Tactical Officer who had little experience with Mr. Abubakar. I'm sure that was very helpful for you. And Captain Kersare allowed this?" Saxon looked directly at Kersare as he asked the question.

?I?m sorry? Was that a question or are you putting words in my mouth, cos I?m pretty sure that?s not allowed ya know?? He winked sarcastically at the lawyer.

"I was wondering exactly how helpful you find getting a one-sided opinion regarding an undercover operation? And you did get this approved by Captain Kersare, did you not?" Saxon raised an eyebrow.

?Well, I?ll let you in on a little Intel secret here, there are only one sided opinions, the trick is to get two of them, you can have that one for free.? He smiled patronisingly and continued, ?And no, I did not?

Saxon paused to let that sink in to everyone's minds while he considered which direction to take it in first. "So what you're saying is that you failed to follow proper protocol and get the proper authorization from your new CO to go through with the operation?"

"Or," Saxon turned from Hawkins to look at Kersare, "Is it that Captain Kersare is so out of touch with her crew that she has no idea what is really going on on her ship?"

?I just didn?t see the point, was either that or sit around playing ping pong till the ship left port, thought I may as well do something useful, and besides my direct superior was off ship? Jack replied, ?And as you yourself established, I?ve only been onboard 2 days, hardly long enough for me to put together an accurate assessment of her command abilities.? He smiled, knowing that the answer, while truthful, would annoy the attorney.

Saxon smirked, "Well, the Captain obviously had no idea what you were up to, nor what was going on on her ship while she was on Direidi..." After a look from the judge, Saxon continued, "So you went undercover....what were your first impressions of Mr. Abubakar?"

?Sorry, I was unaware the Captain was supposed to be psychic??

Completely ignoring what Hawkins said, Saxon replied, "Your first impressions of Mr. Abubakar?"

?Were, not successful?.took me a while to get the voice down ya know??

Saxon gave Hawkins a steely glance, his eyes drilling into the Intelligence officer's, "What did you think of Mr. Abubakar when you met him?"

?Better, you?re learning fast, you?ll be a proper lawyer in no time!? Jack grinned, he was doing his best to keep the lawyer as off guard as he was trying to keep Jack, however this last comment prompted another cough from the judge and Jack made a half hearted attempt to answer the question, ?Angry, self righteous, pain in the ass, nuttier than a fruit cake, your basic headcase?

Saxon wouldn't give Hawkins the pleasure of seeing a reaction from him. In a way, he almost found Hawkins' attempt to 'get back' humorous. He smirked, "I see. And did you gain any insight into him, or about what happened on the Malinche?"

?No? You were paying attention 20 minutes ago right? I learned the guys certifiable but beyond that, I still have no idea what happened on that ship?

Saxon grinned, "Just wanted to refresh everyone's memories. Now, what exactly occurred during your undercover operation?"

?I got chucked into the cell, we argued about what it means to be a citizen of the federation, the guy across the hall broke us all out, Jaran kicked my ass and then shot the other guy, and they all lived happily ever after. Concise enough for you?

"So Mr. Abubakar obtained a weapon? Where did he get it?" Saxon looked at Hawkins.

?I would presume from this ?Lowe? guy in the other cell, either that or he pulled it out of his ass??

"Mmmhmm, I see. Why kill the person who set him free? Any insight, since you were there?" Saxon took a glance at Abubakar, slouched in his chair.

?Maybe cos he wasn?t pleased at being released?? Jack took a look himself as he remembered the conversation they had while the phaser was pointed at him.

"Interesting... Let me ask you, Mr. Hawkins, when you were both released and the man who released you had been killed, what happened then? Before anyone else showed up?"

?Jaran walked back to his cell, I got up and called security and then I passed out, fascinating no??

"What happened to the weapon?" Saxon pressed on, not quite done with his point.

"He threw it to the floor before he walked away??

Saxon smiled wryly, "So, to be perfectly clear....Mr. Abubakar had the opportunity to kill you, but didn't? You'd just seen him kill another man, but he still let you live?"

?Yeah, that about sums it up.? Jack locked eyes with the lawyer, trying to work out where this point was heading.

"Interesting how different situations provoke different responses. When feeling trapped by wrong, misinformed decisions, Mr. Abubakar reacted one way, but when the opportunity to kill you arose, he didn't take it." Before the judge or Hawkins could respond, Saxon waved dismissively, "No further questions."

OFF:

A JP by

Captain Saxon
Defense
State V Jaran

played by

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer

And
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Barrett
Senior Staff

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:00 am

[[USS Malinche]]
[Holodeck 1, Day 3, 1600]

"Wow, I knew that you were repressing some pretty violent emotions but...wow...you know that we have a counselor now, right?" Adam (NPC) asked, looking around at the carnage that Jason had caused.

"Yes, although this way seems to work out my frustrations better," Jason responded, wipping sweat from his brow. Adam was dressed in tight fitting short sleeved shirt that showed off his well built body well. He was sweating as well, although Jason guessed that was from a less violent holodeck program that he had been running.

"I thought that you needed time to think....you know about me...about us?" Jason asked, walking forward and hosltering his sais.

"I did...and I did. I mean I did the thinking," Adam responded setting down his own weapon, which happened to be a bladed Klingon variety.

"I can't change what I did Adam, you know that."

"I know," Adam said, his voice a low whisper. "But that still doesn't change the fact that I love you."

Jason had closed the distance between them now and stood mere inches from Adam. He slide his hand up his well formed forarm and then up to his jaw, tracing a line to his lips. Adam looked up, tears forming in his eyes.

"And I love you...and you know that I always will."

"You will?" Adam asked, again his voice was a whisper...but with a much more husky tone to it. He leaned in closer to Jason, thier foreheads mere inches apart.

"Always," came Jason's response, although it came out as more of a low growl then actual words.

Jason brought Adam's lips his and passionatly kissed him. Thier bodies were already hot from their varies workouts. Jason's hands slide down Adam's well formed back as Adam's own hands slide up and under Jasons shirt, smoothing over the developed and well maintained abdomenal muscles and pecs.

Finally, they broke their kiss both of them breathing hard. They looked deep into each others eyes before Jason broke the silence.

"Adam, will you marry me?"

Adam looked shocked to say the least and then with tears forming in his eyes and streaming down his face he leaned in and kissed Jason with more force and passion then he had anyone in thier entire lives.

"So, I am taking that as a yes?" Jason asked, as they broke apart again.

"Yes, I'll marry you."

OFF:
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:07 pm

<Starbase 259, Courtroom, 1745, MD03>

Saxon sat at the defense table reading over his notes, the courtroom returning to a state of hushed silence as the judge returned, he didn?t really need to read the notes though, this last testimony was gonna seal the case from him without question after all. He snapped out of his revelry just as the judge asked the defense to call their witness. He rose slowly and confidently from his chair and addressed the courtroom, ?The defense calls Doctor Cameron Fairbairn?

Sighing with a deep tenseness and feeling the weight of a man's life on his shoulders, Cameron stood and made his way forward to the witness stand, taking a seat. He had endured a stressful life as a Doctor but when the decision fell only to words it was a little bit different. At least in medicine you had to do all you could. Words were tricky. Law was tricky.

Saxon waited patiently while the Judge made sure that the Doctor was under oath, then he walked slowly to the stand and stood with his hands clasped behind his back, ?Doctor, could you begin by stating your name and position for the record??

The Doctor coughed slightly, clearing his throat before going on, he felt oddly nervous. "Cameron Robert Fairbairn - Chief Medical Officer aboard the USS Malinche." He could here the croaking in his voice and coughed again to clear it.

?And for the record how long have you been practicing doctor??

"Nearly 20 years now." Cameron replied feeling a little more confident.

Saxon nodded slightly as the man answered, ?So it?s safe to say you are an expert in your field??

"I'd call myself a medical expert, yes. As would any experienced Doctor."

Saxon smiled thinly, ?Indeed doctor.? He paused briefly, an earlier testimony from a security guard had established that the doctor had met the accused, so he felt no need to reiterate the point, ?So in you meetings with Jaran, what would you say your expert opinion has been of him??

Cameron smiled slightly as he remembered the words that Kersare had used on the stand: 'professionally or personally'. He shifted slightly and chose his carefully. "Medically, Sir?" He tried to make life difficult for Saxon, their meeting in the bathroom earlier that day had soured him against the attorney.

Saxon himself remembered the meeting, knowing it was important to keep the Lieutenant on side for the time being he stuck with the ?softly softly? approach, ?Medically if you would Doctor??

Cameron settled more, he was in the truth zone and he was able to express his real concern for the man he had considered a patient over the past 36 hours. "When I first met Jaran he was in bad shape, beaten bruised and subdued with the anti-morphic Dexedrine substance in the brig facility. He was disoriented and somewhat paralysed." Cameron blinked. "When his initial senses came back and I had cleared the gas from his system, he was still acting disoriented. Malicious, spontaneous and unpredictable. He was aware of the situation but less aware of his surroundings and presence. His vitals were healthy but his neuro activity erratic. From the way he spoke and what he told me - my opinion would have to be that Lieutenant Jaran is ill." The Doctor had laden heavily with his Scots accent, and his eyes leveled on Jaran. "From all the diagnosis done, I can see that Jaran is in very poor mental health and has been for some time."

?Very poor mental health? Is there a specific condition he is suffering from? A name?? He turned and faced the courtroom while he waited for Cameron to answer.

"Temporal Psychosis." Fairbairn announced. "Psychosis is a form of mental disorientation; it causes hallucinations and disturbing behaviour amongst those who suffer from it. It's both physical and mental."

He turned back to the doctor, ?And this ?Temporal Psychosis?, would it affect someone?s decision making? Impair their judgment??

"Yes, it certainly would. Psychosis alters the environment that you're in. It makes you believe something different may be occurring wildly when in fact something very simple is the case."

?So just to be clear doctor?? He paused, the testimony was going well, he didn?t envy his prosecution counterpart having to recover anything from the doctors so far damning series of answers, he was very glad he had this witness first. ?Just to be clear, is it possible that Mr. Jaran wasn?t fully aware of his actions onboard the Malinche on the day in question??

"Possible, I've tried to analyse the brain scans that I've taken but I cannot be sure." He paused slightly and shifted again. He felt uncomfortable with his duty jacket on. "Mr. Jaran was an intelligence officer with a history, I believe before his time on the Malinche he was a victim of mental conditioning. With that in mind, it's probable that the condition has been long-term."

?Mental conditioning? As in possibly having his moral and behavioral responses altered in the past??

"Yes, I've came across it many times, all humanoids have a deceptive brain that capacitates to whatever it's made to believe - if the pressure to believe it is made strong enough. I think that previous training or exercise in the field has conditioned Jaran's brain into hostile actions, developing into a form of temporary neural psychosis." Cameron said firmly.

Saxon had to try hard to not smile at the response, ?So, it is possible therefore, that not only was Mr. Jaran not fully aware of his actions, but that he may not have even been fully, consciously, in control of them??

"No. You control your actions. You're simply deluded by what you're seeing and what is going on at the time. If Jaran hallucinated or suffered from a psychosis attack then he was reacting in the way he would relating to what he saw and believed."

?So, once again, in you expert opinion, do you hold the accused directly responsible and accountable for his actions??

"I can't answer that based on the situation Jaran was involved in, I'm afraid. Unless testing was conducted back then - nobody will ever know for sure." Cameron sighed, knowing how his next statement would sway the verdict. But it was the truth that came from his analysis. "But...in my opinion it's highly likely that Jaran suffered from an attack of neural psychosis. And that he was not fully
responsible for what happened on that day."

This time Saxon allowed a small smile to grace his face as he spoke, ?No further questions??

OFF:

A JP by

Doctor (Lt.) Cameron Fairbairn
Chief Medical Officer

and

Captain Saxon
Defense
State V Jaran

played by
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B