Blood and Iron

Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Abubakar
Senior Staff
Location: A hole, usually, sometimes referred to as Blackpool (UK)

Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:06 pm

ON: <<Auxiliary Craft Bay Beta (Civilian), 1321, Day 1>>

Jaran lay pressed against the floor of the cavernous bay; it had taken well over an hour longer for that damned Ferengi to get a fast ship. "Come on?" Jaran seethed to himself. He was waiting for a signal, three small clicks over a civilian communication device from Tak would mean that he was in the Malinche shuttlebay. It was then that Jaran would sprint to the ship Tak had arranged for him.

Even laying on the floor, Jaran had to admit his surroundings were impressive. The massive interior of the Stardock class bases were just divided into sections, and the areas, or bays, for small craft were separated simply by atmospheric containment fields. It was known among ship-spotters, that civilian bays on these bases were prime locations to watch starships, even Jaran took a look upward ? there was a Nebula Class ship up there, close to it was an enormous Galaxy Class, and round the massive curve of the Stardocks interior structure he knew the Malinche was too.

He was only a few feet away from it, and he had positioned himself so the ship was between him and the administration office, staffed by Starfleet. It would have been foolish to board and power up without gaining clearance from Starfleet first ? so he would have to wait until Tak provided enough of a distraction with Arrowhawk.

Inevitably, they would notice Jarans ship roaring out of the bay, as such he would have an extremely small margin for error. He would long gone before a Starship could undock and go after him, and the ship could allegedly outrun even a Valkyrie Class Fighter ? dodging Starfleet vessels out in space would be easy enough, the types of ship that generally in this area ? Excelsior's, Sabres, Miranda's ? weren't all that hard to spot from light-years away whilst his small ship could mask itself and throw pursuers off the scent fairly easily. Besides, they'd be more interested in catching Arrowhawk than tracking down a rogue officer.

Tak had finally made it into the Malinche and to the spot the Bajoran had said the Arrowhawk was. He saw the craft materialize in front of him and he couldn't help but grin. Quickly he climbed in and signalled the Bajoran.

Jarans ears pricked up when he heard the beeps. He jumped up and ran for the door, he reached it in seconds and jumped aboard. He climbed into the pilots seat and awaiting the code.

"The code is 'Omega Delta Seven Seven Nine Alpha Two'," Tak said. His eyes were still drinking in the interior of the Arrowhawk.

As soon as it came through, Jaran keyed in the sequence ? the ship shuddered to life, which was quite worrying, he threw full power into the engines just as the bay darkened and became awash with red alert lights.

Seconds after sending the code to the Bajoran, Tak heard a red alert signal and saw it flashing in the bay. "He crossed me?..I should have known. Then again, I wasn't entirely truthful with him either?"

Before Tak could do anything else, a security team surrounded the vessel, and pointed their weapons at him. He knew at this point it was too late ? the best he could do would be to confess and hope that their anger stayed with the Bajoran. Putting his hands up, Tak carefully climbed out of the craft and handed the control to the nearest officer.

His comm. badge chirped, Jaran looked down quizzically and tapped it. "They've got us!" came a loud voice Jaran recognized as Stones. He could hear phaser fire in the background of the communication.

"No friend, they've got you." Jaran replied coldly. His eyes locked onto the closing external doors and lifted the ship off the deck, he lined up with the dead-centre of the shrinking space.

"You bast-?" Stones voice was cut short by a louder phaser sound and a couple of thuds.

Jaran fired the engines up to full throttle and sped towards the doors. His sharp eyes, developed through years of piloting, immediately locked onto the oncoming obstruction. "Shit!" Jaran yelled.

"What are you doing?" The yellow uniformed officer glared at Tak.

"I'm being repaid by a certain Bajoran," Tak replied. Seeing the look in their eyes flicker with recognition, he went on, "He's on the Base, Auxiliary Craft Bay Area Two. You may still be able to catch him..."

Two Starfleet fighters were flying into the bay ? obviously Tak's actions had meant the entire bases defence resources being deployed, even fighters ? and also obviously some arse in command had seen what was happening and deployed these fighters to shoot down Jaran, ship-for-ship an easy task.

He veered to port, firing a wide spread of some kind of energy weapon at the oncoming fighters. They both split, one to Jarans starboard and one banked up.

He could out-manuever them in a fighter, but this bucket of civilian garbage was essentially a cockpit with a warp engine, a good one, but it meant that impulse moves were likely to be sluggish and no match for the two fighters that were closing on him.

The Security officer took the control for the Arrowhawk and motioned for two others to take the Ferengi into custody. "This was not your day, was it? Hope you don't mind the Brig. I'm sure Lieutenant Benson and Captain Kersare will be eager to speak with you."

Tak let the security team lead him out of the bay, a slight smile still on his face, knowing that the Bajoran wouldn't get away either.

As Jaran sped round the interior curve of the base, the fighter that gone starboard had done a high-speed lateral turn and was now closing on his port-aft and the one that had peeled upwards was now bearing down on him.

Both fighters fired phasers and struck Jaran with direct hits. The dark cockpit became brighter than a dirt-side-day with several massive eruptions of sparks all round him. The impact threw the ship off-course and Jaran's hands flew off of the consoles, he regained control and looked ahead. Malinche was docked and he was getting closer.

Both fighters were now aft of him, on the same lateral elevation and either side. "Lieutenant Jaran, come to a full stop now or we will open fire again"

As Jaran looked ahead, he saw the mirror-like hull of the Arrowhawk in the Malinche's shuttlebay. Jaran opened fire with everything that the ship had. He didn't see the outcome as another spread of weapons fire hit him and he was again thrown off course.

He was knocked into a angled dive, Jaran pulled up and over Malinche's dorsal. It was about a second later that the final shot hit.

His whole world became one giant flash, as his vision cleared he became aware of large crackling fires burning the entire console in front of him. He knew, was aware of but couldn't feel, the hot flames licking at his clothing,

Jaran looked out of the large window; he could see the 'floor' of the large bay approaching. He fumbled for his knife that was sheathed to his leg. He felt the cold handle and shakily lifted it towards his chest.

The flames danced across his face hands and his arms, the floor sped towards him, it was too late. He yelled for the moment as the ship smashed into the floor. Jaran's body was flung forward and his head smashed into the fiery console.

He felt his legs explode in immense pain at the same time as deafening howl of metal crushing filled his ears.

A lot of blood fell down his face, into his eyes and his mouth. He couldn't get captured, he had to die; the ship was still, everything was quiet. They were going to come for him.

Jaran fumbled for the blade again, it was gone. He blinked through the blood and the blackened vision and looked at his legs. If he had full comprehension he would have been sick as the sight hit him. They were certainly both broken, the left one smashed and the right badly burned.

He was vaguely aware of footsteps, and searchlights from phaser rifles falling over the dark shadows. One thing from Special Ops came back to him, one clear thought amongst a sea of chaotic confusion and non-awareness. He looked down to the mangled metal by his legs and leaned forward, extending both wrists towards the sharp edges. A tear cut through the thick, warm blood on his cheeks as he felt the burning hot metal tear through his flesh. In the distance, he definitely heard a phaser whine before his whole existence went dark.

OFF:

A JP by:

Tak (NPC)
Played by:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
U.S.S Malinche

and
Lieutenant Abubakar Jaran
Deceased
The Anti-Lamb 666
Flying Monk-eh
U.S.S Malinche

"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Benson
Senior Staff

Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:30 pm

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Corridors outside of the Security Office, Day One, 1312>>

Benson walked along, grumbling a bit after his meeting with Lieutenant JG Grayson about the attitude that the Chief Intelligence Officer had shown him. Damn it got under his skin! James shook his head to try and force the incident from his mind. He had a job to do and he was going to need Grayson's help, like it or no.

Letting out a yawn of boredom, Lynn paused to streach. It has been a morning full of paper work, organizing and cleaning until Lynn was happy with how everything looked. Dropping a paper, she knelt to pick the document up, and slide it back to the counter top.

"If I dont get some thign in me, I'm bound to fall asleep again..." the red head decided that she needed food NOW. Lynn glanced around and left for the mess deck.

Benson rounded the corner, his security reports in hand and sighed, not even looking where he was going.

It wasn't going to be a good day today, Lynn could tell. Especially when she saw the man making his way around the corner, about 2 seconds to late.

"Woah!" Her pale hands immediatly crossed over her chest and she tried to stand still rather than move forward into the moving person any more.

James couldn't stop and didn't even notice the rather attractive red head when he barreled into her. His hand shot out and gripped her shoulder like a vise, keeping her posterior from slamming into the deck.

"Geez! Are you ok?" Said James, his face worried.

"I'll be just fine.. as soon as you release my shoulder from your iron grip." She replied with a grimace. Her green eyes wandered the face of the man infront of her. He had to be a crew member... just one she hadn't had the opportunity to meet yet.

Lynn turned her lips up into a smile before continueing. "First day with your new feet Sir?"

He helped her up to her feet and let her shoulder go. James chuckled at her joke a bit.

"First day on the new ship at least." Said Benson with a nod.

She rolled her shoulder discretly, smiling back.

" Well It's bee my pleasure to ahh.. meet you. I'm Ensign Lynn Quarterstaff."

The red head shook her curls back and held out a hand of greeting.

"Lieutenant James Benson the Third." Said Jim with a nod.

"Chief Tactical and Security Officer of the USS Malinche. At your service." The Texan said.

Lynn straightened up a little more when he mentioned his rank, her smile remained.

" Well your welcome in the sick bay if you ever run into any one else, Lt Benson. I'll be there"

"I'll keep that in mind, though I hope I never have to come see you in Sickbay Ensign... I don't enjoy trips to the doctor." He said with a smirk.

Cream colored hands propped themselves on green clad hips as she pretended to be offended and instead heard her stomache give a small growl. Lynn's eyes dropped to her mid section, her cheeks becoming rosey.

" Well...ahem... yes. No one ever does...erm.." When her eyes returned to james face her blush has subsided a few tones.

"You hungry?" He asked her with a smirk.

" Maybe a smidge." She replied honestly " I was on my way to grab something when we had our accident."

"Well my office has a replicator, and it's a lot closer than the mess hall." Said James, inviting her to use his office replicator for something to eat.

"Hmm, food at a shorter distance, sounds perfect to me. Would it be too froward to take you up on that offer Lt?" Lynn bit on her bottom lip briefly repleased the poor, pink feature waiting for a reply.

"I offered didn't I?" He asked with a smile as he led the way to his office.

"True" She started a leisurly pace, following her fellow shipmate. " So what is this office like, any way? I mean is it full of weapons and other interesting iteams?" Lynn had a horrible habit of diving into one to many books in her spare time, making the woman more prone to imagining world of old granduer.

"I'm not sure... This is my first time visiting it. I just transferred in." Said James as he stepped forward into the office after tapping in his access key. The office was rather small and quite sparse. It appeared that whatever personal effects that his predecessor had had in the office had been removed.

Lynn let out a low whistle to break the silence. " Creepy....."

"Well it's not surprising." Said Jim with a nod, setting his reports down and ordering the lights up to half level as he walked over to the replicator and activated it, gesturing towards the unit for her to get whatever she liked.

It took Lynn a few seconds to decide on what she desired, but after a small prompting from her stomach she chose a Pb and J sandwhich.

" It'd been my favorite since I was a little girl" She explained and watched as the replicator materialized her sandwhich.

"Ahh... well enjoy." Said James with a smile, setting his reports on the desk as he sat down and started looking over one of them.

There was another akward silence as Lynn wrapped her sandwhich in a nearby napkin.

"Thank you. Would you like some?" She offered timidly, unsure of what to do now but ABSOLUTELY sure just leaving would be rude.

" Or would you rather be left to your work?"

"Oh I'm not hungry at the moment, but you're very kind to offer ma'am." He said with a broad grin.

"I've just got an investigation to pursue. You're welcome to stay if you like. If you've got work to get to, then that's fine too." Smirked James.

Her interest was peeked.

"Investigation? May I ask of what?" She way toying with the age of investigators and a classic, 'I'd have to kill you' But decided against it. It was bad enough she was intruding for a little longer.

" I'll just sit here a minute longer if you dont mind. Then you'll be rid of me for the day!"

"Well apparently there was a bit of a mutiny before I arrived... And your former Chief of Security failed to stop it. I'm going to track down the mutineers and figure out what happened and where everything went wrong." He said, referring to the escape of Abubakar.

Lynn politley nibbled her crusts while listening. "That's odd...I never heard anything about it. I'm new to the ship myself, When I was transferred most of the crew was planet side."

She made a face and thought then dismissed it. " Sounds exciting." Was her reply.

"Excitment like this I could do without. I despise traitors and mutineers." Said James with a distasteful look on his face.

"Is that why you became a security offiver? Or is that a newly aquired dislike?" She sat down, crossingher legs at the ankles and tucking them beneath her.

"That's always been a dislike. Ever since the war. I became a security officer because it's what I've always known. Ever since I was little, my pappy taught me how to shoot and defend our home." He said with a nod.

His last statement brought a small smile to the doctors face.

" Your Pappy? I'll suppose thats your father." She moved in the seat a bit. " I hope he taught ou out of sport, not out of necessity."

"That'd be him and he taught me out of necessity. During the Cardassian Wars." Said James with a nod.

"I'm sorry..." She let her eyes drift to the floor.

"Thankfully I never had to use those skills... at least not until the Dominion War." Said James with a nod, smiling at her slightly.

"Don't be sorry for me, those skills saved my life and I'm sure probably saved a few dozen more." Said Benson with a smile.

She nodded silently. " Well... it does seem that you're doing what your destined for then." By now Lynn had finished half her sandwhich and continued to wrap the other half back in the napkin.
"It's noble of you, To have fought I mean."

"Sometimes it doesn't seem that way. But it's nice of you to say that." He said softly as he folded his hands.

She pushed back a curl from her face and nodded.

" Everything has its moments. Your position probably does't seem glamorous to you, but i think its very much so." She filled the next seconds with a smile and a glance at him across the desk. Then cleared her throat.

" Well. I'll be going then. Good luck with the investigation"

"I'll see you around Ensign... I just hope it won't be sickbay." Said James with a smile.

"Remember an apple a day and it won't be." She laughed .A wave and then she was gone.

OFF:

A JP By:

Ensign Lynn Quarterstaff
Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

&
Lieutenant James Samuel Benson III
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Hunt
Senior Staff

Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:08 pm

<<Corridor, 1242, Day 1>>

After her meeting with Josephine, Isabel went through another couple of PADDs before giving in. She needed a break, and now was as good a time as any to have her meeting with Mason. Assuming he'd be in his office, she headed there.

Isabel slowed as she approached the door and rang the doorchime.

Mason was sitting alone watching the latest engineering reports come in on the screen just next to the door. It was full of dry estimates and recommendations which nearly caused him to fall asleep. Just as his eye lids were about to close he heard the doorchime and his CO
standing outside the door with a stern look. He had hoped she didn't see him dose off after all it was still morning.

"Computer, open the door and give me two ginger coffee's with lemon and a plate of icoberry torts ah make it strawberry torts." said Mason standing up and moving over to greet Kersare.

Walking in, Isabel smiled, "Good afternoon Mason. How are things going?"

"Everything is going good Captain, as you can see im cleaning up my office. The last time I was in here was when I came aboard. Please have a seat(handing her a cup of coffee and a tort) what brings you down here to the lowly pits which is my office?" asked Mason smiling
and laughing.

Isabel took a sip of the coffee, not usually her style but it had something that seemed to be ginger and lemon which made it more bearable. Setting the tort down, she said, "Thank you Mason. Drop the 'Captain', we're off duty."

"Yes Cap...I mean Isabel. Judging by the look on your face the coffee is not your cup of joe would you care for something else?" asked Mason.

"No, thank you. I'm not used to coffee, but this isn't too bad," she smiled.

Mason sat down and leaned back. He didn't know what was going to come from the CO next although he had that sense of it being strong and straight forward. It was odd seeing Isabel down there and at the opposite side of the table so he got up once again and moved over to the couch area where Isabel followed.

After sitting down next to Mason, Isabel continued, "Anyway, I hope you got my message earlier... I wanted to meet with you to dicuss a Second Officer and a promotion that's been passed down from some of the higher-ups."

"Higher-ups must be a serious promotion if its coming from them. Every ship in the fleet needs a second officer at least from where I'm standing." said Mason.

"Personally, I think we've gone without a Second Officer for far too long. I have someone in mind, but first I'd like to know your thoughts," Isabel said. She took a bite of the tort and waited for Mason's reply.

"I agree it has been too long. From the last we talked you did mention of having your eye on someone. Now its time to unvail the curtain." said Mason.

Isabel nodded, "Really, I think there are only a few candidates. Barrett, Peters, and Sovereign."

He was aware of a select few she wanted in the post. Each having the potential to be an excellent second officer. Hunt knew everytime he ate a tort or even sipped coffee he made noise so he waited until Kersare finished talking.

"I think we need Peters to concentrate on Engineering. Barrett does well, though he's not gotten many opportunities to lead. Sovereign hasn't been with us very long, but she did very well while in command during the last mission," she said. Taking another sip of coffee, she looked at Mason, waiting for his thoughts on the candidates..

The decision made him brush his hair back and sip on the steaming cup of joe. She was right about all three especially Barrett and Sovereign. He wanted to be fair and let out a sigh before answering. Barrett having senority and Sovereign having only one command experience. Mason turned to Kersare.

"In all fairness, both Barrett and Sovereign are equal candaites and deserve a shot. However since this is a pressing matter that needs to be resolved my pick would be Sovereign." said Mason.

Isabel nodded, "I agree. For now, as she just recently joined us, I'll hold off on promoting her, but I will appoint her as Second Officer. I'll try to talk to her about it today or tomorrow."

Hunt agreed taking a sip of his coffee. He too was impressed by Sovereign's handle on this entire situation. In a way he was envious because at that point in his career he never had the opportunity. Before sitting back down, his monitor bleeped displaying that he had a message from earth. His uncle and cousins were planning a trip to the glacian falls on new mars colony. He quickly shut off the monitor because he knew his cousin really didn't like Mason and vise versa. Mason just shurgged it off and listen on as Isabel talked.

"As for the promotion...it seems that some of the higher-ups wish to promote Mr. Grayson to full Lieutenant. He's been on board long enough, though I probably wouldn't have promoted him myself... Mark does his job well, but he doesn't seem to want to follow my orders at times," Isabel sighed.

This did infact present a problem with Mason's standards of keeping the chain of command and the policy of always following orders. But even he knew no one was perfect.

"When were you planning on promoting him?" asked Mason.

Isabel finished off her tort, took a sip of the coffee, then replied, "In the next few days. Before we leave for our next mission, in anycase. Have you seen any of the reports yet?"

Mason tapped on the wall console allowing Isabel to see the ship wide reports come in. Most of them comprised of endless upgrades and minor adjustments to some key systems.

"As you can see, this ship is getting some cosmetics make overs. I just hope they don't change the location of my office. If operational command got wind that i haven't been using it they may give me an area with less space." said Mason joking.

Grinning, Isabel replied, "I'm sure you don't need to worry about that. Will you be going to the base for shoreleave?"

Hunt needed to think about that one, whenever leave came up he always had the hardest time trying to find something to do. He could see Isabel starring at him so he dodged the look by looking at one of the reports. In his mind he must have thought he was the only starfleet officer who had trouble having fun. As he sat back and gave the question even more thought he was reminded that his entire family was pretty much the same always disciplined not really making the time for r&r.

"I'm not sure, I may just curl up in quarters and read some old novels my aunt was kind enough to send me. In fact my father once carried them every where we went. (Smirked) never really knew what he saw in them I guess now I will find out." said Mason.

"Fair enough, Mason. I'll let you get back to your work so you can get to those novels," Isabel said. "You know where to find me if you need me."

"Aye." said Mason watching Kersare leave.

A JP By:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche

&
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Grayson
Senior Staff

Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:49 pm

[ USS Malinche ]
[[ Intelligence Office, 1200, day 1 ]]

Grayson didn't expect much for the next interview. He had reviewed Fairbairn's file and, no doubt, there was some very interesting things. But, in Mark's experience, everybody had a skeleton in their closets. It was his job to make sure that skeletons were not threat to the ship and the Federation.

Fairbairn was an experienced officer. Mark predicted some difficulty to get the information he wanted. Mark smirked. He did appreciate a challenge.

Sitting behind his desk, Mark didn't react when Fairbairn entered the room.

"Lieutenant Fairbairn, Welcome", started Grayson. "Take a seat. We have much to discuss".

As far as Cameron Fairbairn was concerned, this was an irritating little inconvenience that was drawing his attention away from Sarah Treala's condition in the starbase sickbay. However it did allow him the briefest of tours aboard the USS Malinche. But as he sat down across from the sharp looking intelligence officer, he was not impressed. Not so much by the man, as he understood the dedication to his duty. More so by how...official everything was. He interjected immediately.

"It's Doctor. Doctor Fairbairn." His voice was soft and calm, accent apparent. "I'm the head of medicine aboard the ship first, THEN I'm a starfleet officer."

Mark leaned back on his chair. "That's an interesting remark, Lieutenant. No doubt your oath to Starfleet is not as important as the Hyppocratic Oath. Its understandable, even. But, here, doctor, you're answering as a Starfleet Officer, not a doctor. So, forgive me if I think your rank and your duty to Starfleet are more important than patching up people", he said, expressionless.

The spook continued, not very interested by Fairbairn reactions. "Your work with nano probes using genetic scoping was quite an advancement in that area. Although, in the past years, your techinique has spread to everyone, even the Romulans. Starfleet didn't want that to be divulged and yet it did. Any thoughts on how it spread?", asked Mark. "Maybe an Oath superseding over another?", he suggested, irony tinging his words.

"I wouldn't quite go that far, Lieutenant, although...I do understand your concern over the matter." He hesitated. It hadn't quite occured to him the seriousness of spreading any such medical advancements. "But I fail to see a vast amount of danger in extending the work throughout the medical community. Don't get me wrong, I understand it's an advantage for them to gain but looking at it diplomatically these are bridges that are being built through those of us who work to extend scientific knowledge and better the lives of the community around us. If it had been something with, well, negative connotations - such as to be used as a weapon. I wouldn't have endeavoured to put it out there."

He then offered a smile, realising for himself that this man was going to be part of the crew he would serve with and of course would be a better ally than enemy. "Besides, it's not really groundbreaking work. Just a little helpful."

"I think you understimate your work, Lieutenant, but, you're also right", replied Mark. "Whatever advantage the Federation could have with your work is gone, so the point is moot." The spook crossed his arms. "Now, regarding the role you played during the Dominion War, Lieutenant. I heard that you're one the few doctors that actually had the chance of doing medical exams in a changeling. Is there any truth in that?"

Cameron shook his head immediately, he knew this question would come up as it had many times in the past. "We examined a member of the original Founders, yes. But it was not recorded as a matter of science or logged medically. We studied the lifeforms fitness and were ordered to send him on his way."

"Yes, you said that at least five times when you were debriefied by Starfleet HQ", said Mark, pointing to one of the several PADDs on his desk. "What I find odd, Lieutenant", continued him, "Is the fact all medical personnel that examined the Founders say the same thing. There's some elements in Starfleet that say that you all are afraid of what could be done with them if you surrendered the information about their phisiology." Mark rested his arms on his desk again. "Personally, I find the idea far fetched and I would be right to think that. Right, Lieutenant?", asked Mark offering Fairbairn a very innocent look.

Although the Doctor visibly flinched - and knew he had given it away, he again shook his head. There was an element of truth in what the man proffered but that wasn't the case. "No, not...exactly." He scorned himself inside for hesitating. "We were ordered by our superior officers NOT to indulge our experimentation on the Founder. When I looked into that, I found it had been the same case throughout the Federation." He smiled maliciously, hoping to double the intelligence officer back a little. "Perhaps it's not JUST us subordinates who hate S-Intel?"

Mark shook his head calmly and offered the doctor a smirk."Ah, lieutenant, that's probably true. If people loved me for what I do, I probably would have resigned years ago. Intelligence work doesn't exist to be loved, but to be efficient. Sometimes some people do n't like to have their little dirty secrets exposed." Grayson put his arms behind his head, in a very relaxed pose."Now, what's the nature of your relationship with Captain Kesare?"

"I was her counselor for a brief period of time." He sat up straight and folded his right leg over his left. "Her husband was killed while we served with each other aboard the Cheyenne, I was the acting chief medical officer and I took it upon myself to console her. Our relationship grew, yes, but it was purely of casual means to a professional end."

The Intelligence Officer nodded slowly. "A very acceptable answer, Lieutenant. Just make sure your prior relationship with the Captain don't influence you more than already did. We both know why you chose the Malinche as your next position, don't we?"

Now it was Camerons turn to pull rank, he didn't flinch nor did he move at all apart from an angry wave of the hand. "NO, Lieutenant - although I have a feeling you'd enjoy jumping to the conclusion. Bare in mind that we are both professionals who should know the appropriate turn of reaction." His eyes narrowed. "Don't test my personal life against my abilities as a chief medical officer and don't take a step above your rank. I am aboard this vessel to maintain the health of this crew and to pursue my career into higher medicine."

Mark kept his face straight. "Lieutenant, I have no intention of doing neither. My only concern is to the safety of this ship and its crew members. I'm sure you can relate to that. More to the point, I'm don't feel you're a security risk. I never thought you were. But, there's always things to be said and things to be done", responded him, serious. "We're done here, Lieutenant. I'll let you get back to your patient in the Starbase".

Cameron stood up and nodded formally. He hated acting so rigid and so in-place, it just wasn't him and he felt he looked stupid. But nevertheless he refused to indulge Mark Grayson in his satisfaction by showing how his emotions had been breached. "Then thank you, it's a pleasure to know that I am not...a threat." He sighed. "I'll be seeing you around." With that he left, folding his hands back into his pockets and shaking his head as the door closed behind him. He had an appointment with the Captain...

Mark Grayson watched the doctor leave the room and allowed himself to smile. Fairbairn was unique. A man with a vast talent to medicine, but none to lie or deceit. Fairbairn has everything to become an important part of this crew and maybe more for some people, he thought, grabbing a PADD of the next person to be interviewed.

OFF: A JP brought to you by

Doctor (Lt.) Cameron Fairbairn
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche
NCC-38897-B

&
Lieutenant Mark Grayson II
Chief Intelligence Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

"O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible and hence we can hold the enemy's fate in our hands." - Sun Tzu

Grayson
Senior Staff

Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:24 am

[ USS Malinche ]
[ Intelligence Office, 1400, day 1 ]

Jason wasn't used to being summoned by Mark. He hadn't had all that much contact with him since coming aboard and had kept it that way on purpose. Mainly because Mark was paranoid, or thats what the rumors were at least. Straightening his uniform Jason tapped the door call button.

"Come in."

Jason stepped through the doors into a dimly lit office; it reminded him of the offices that he had seen in ancient movies and holonovels.

"You wanted to see me Mr. Grayson?"

Mark nodded briskly. "Yes, I did, Lieutenant. Have a seat', he said gesturing to Barrett to take a seat right in front of his desk.

The Ops Officer sat down, obviously not understanding why Mark had called him there. Sure, why would he? The only reason Mark would call him there it would be to debrief him or accuse him of something. Today, though, the game was neither one.

Grayson cleared his throat before starting. "How are you holding up, Jason? Your arm still bothers you or you have got used to it?"

Jason arched an eyebrow in surprise, he hadn't expected Mark to ask question like that. Truthfully, he thought tha Mark was going to badger him about some odd conspiracy theroy or something.

"Its fine, works like a charm."

"Thats good to hear".

"Look, I hate to be blunt about this but all the intelligence cheiifs I knew weren't much for social talk or chit chat," Jason said, leaning back in his chair. "So, why did you really call me down here?"

Mark made Barret's opposite movement, leaning forward, resting his elbows on his desk. "I got a very disturbing report from Maran. It's about Commander Darkhelm. She went missing." Here we go, thought him.

Missing. That was a word that scaresly went together with Commander Darkhelm. She was one of the toughest poeple that Jason knew; able to hold her own with the best of them.

"Missing?" Jason asked.

"Yes, missing."

"Do you have anything other then missing to go on?"

Mark shrugged. "Not much, really. She was working at the Federation Embassy and doing a good job trying to bring both Maran and Federation together. So, my guess is that someone doesn't want that to happen. So far, there's no suspects"

The intell officer got up from his chair and sat at the edge of his desk, facing Barrett. "Look, I shouldn't be telling this, but I know all about your arm and the deal that was made to put the arm back in place. I also know that you owe her."

Jason couldn't deny that. Mark was right, he did owe Amanda many things including the attachment of his arm and saving his life. But he was curious as to how Mark had come into knowing this information; he was under the impression that his medical records were sealed to all those but his personal physicians.

"Remind me to lodge a compliant with Starfleet Medical," Jason grunted. "Alright, well if you know so much then why don't you do something about it."

"Because I'm not her friend, you are."

"But you know whats going on," Jason responded. "I know that you have connections Mark, you're intelligence I'm just operations."

"And very good at not being seen," Mark responded. "I just thought that you should know, you are her friend after all and do have some ties on Maran."

Jason sighed. "Alright, I don't have anything else planned for shoreleave I'm willing to go take a look. One question though, is this on the record of off the record?"

Mark sat behind his desk. "Strictly off the record, Lieutenant. I'll be joining you in your search."

"From the kindness of your heart?", asked Jason, suspicious.

Mark offered Jason a fake laugh. "Of course not, Lieutenant. She'll be able to offer some insight about who's trying to sabotage the diplomatic effort in Maran."

Jason screwed up his mouth in an awkward smile. He knew that Mark was well informed but Jason has his own contacts on Maran and they were saying nothing about the efforts lacking. Truth be told Jason knew that things were going very well, which made him wonder what Darkhelm was really up too.

"Fine, you come with me...but we're talking Adam (NPC) too, I promised him some shoreleave and he'll kill me if he doesn't get it."

Mark nodded.

"Oh and one other thing," Jason said, getting to his feet. "I'm not stupid Mark, don't try and pull one over on me. I know that Amanda wouldn't have been involved in anything that would harm the efforts between the Federation and Maran. Let me know when you are ready to leave."

And with that said, Jason strode out of Mark's office.

Mark sighed. He never assumed Jason Barrett to be dumb. His lie was more a cosmetic excuse than anything. The problem with people like Barrett were their vision of a black and white universe. If Barrett knew one third of what was really happening in Maran, he probably would get pretty made at Mark. He'll be get mad at me when he finds out the real reason I wanted him there, the spy thought, already preparing a shuttle requisition. They would be leaving at that very same night.

There wasn't time to waste.

OFF: A JP brought to you by

Lieutenant Jason Barrett
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

&
Lieutenant Mark Grayson II
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

"O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible and hence we can hold the enemy's fate in our hands." - Sun Tzu

Rayne
Crewmember
Location: Running away from the penguins that come one by one to steal away my sanity

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:41 pm

[Starbase 259]

[ Shuttlebay 25, 1400, day 1 ]

Sara finally finished rearranging the inside of the Delta flyer she has called home for these past few months durring a unexpected assignment from Starfleet Intell. Sure it forced her to leave her previous assignment with the Malinche back on Direidi, but she didn't really have much of a choice in the matter. She knew someone in paticular would be asking a ton of questions about why she mysteriously disappeared for so long, those questions would be answered when the time came. For now she was more concerned with getting something to eat.

About to turn and leave her personal craft, the comm system beeped alerting her to an incoming message, which she checked the security of before letting it through.

"About time you got around to filling my equipment request, so where can I pick up those parts I ordered?" Sara said with a slight hint towards how annoyed she was with the unnessasary delay.

"Your parts are waiting on Maran, and before you go off an ask why Maran. It was the safest place to arrange for the transfer. All you need is an excuse to be there and an someone will deliver the parts."

Before Sara could reply the communication ended. Unfortunatly she couldn't think of an excuse off hand but she knew someone that did have a reason, though it would cause more questions to come up. More then she would care to answer, and how she even knew about what was said she would just have to keep to herself.

Finally she turned towards the opened hatch of her Delta flyer and headed off in search of a place to eat and relax for once. Slowly behind her the Delta flyer's hatch closed, locking into place after it sealed shut. Something seemed different about the surface of this paticular craft perhaps it was the slightly off color hull compared to the rest of the shuttles and runabouts inside the bay or the fact that it had a designation hidden on it's hull. Either way there was more to this Delta flyer then met the eye, just as there was more to the person it belonged to.
Ensign Sara Rayne
Acting Assistant Chief Intelligence Officer

USS Malinche-B NCC-38897-B

"Beware The Penguins!"

Fairbairn
Senior Staff

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:49 pm

<<USS Malinche - Deck Corridor - 1238hrs - Day 1>>

"This is unbelievable...in fact. It's impossible."

"No, it's not impossible. It's happening right now before your very eyes." Cameron pointed out to Doctor Morientes, gesturing to the patient lying under deep sedation on the bio-bed in front of her.

Elsha Morientes was an El Aurien with a worldly lifetime of experience. She had moved to Earth and married Carlos Morientes forty years ago despite their age gap. Her work took both of them to the Starbase and her name as a healer was well known in the Alpha Quadrant. She was compassionate, understanding and medically adapt to any situation. But the image of Sarah Treala's delicate human form with a prosthetic Borg neural and ocular implant protruding from her skin shocked her. She turned to Doctor Fairbairn, unable to understand his rationality.

"Well what triggers this? What kind of symptom?"

"Assimilation." He answered matter-of-factly. "She's being assimilated before our very eyes." He moved over to the diagnostics console beside the young woman on the bed to take in her neural signs and scan her vitals. "This is the same process that occurs when someone is injected with the aggressive nanoprobes carried by a Borg drone. She must have had some in her system...they would have been dormant. Perhaps her genetic condition brought them back into play."

"Her vitals and statistics are normal, not erratic in the way that an assimilated humanoid's would be. Nor are her neural kinetics advanced in any way." Morientes responded.

Cameron sighed. "It doesn't make sense...she's obviously not connected to the collective so she has a sense of individuality. If we wake her we can perform an examinat - "

Morientes cut him off. "No, she was in excruciating pain. I wouldn't have put her under otherwise."

"That makes sense...poor girl." He took a note of her neural signs, realising there was a significant rise in temperature, perhaps a sign of the viral trail. However he was positive he had removed it. However...you could never be sure. He turned back to the Doctor. "I noticed a virus just a day ago infecting her neural systems. Her...partner was suffering the same thing. It's very possible that's what triggered this. It infects your bodily systems as well as your brain but it doesn't seem contagious. I was positive I removed it.

"Did you record the research?"

"Of course, it's under my name in the logs here...I have to get back to the Malinche." He sighed, glancing over at Sarah Treala as she lay in her temporary coma. "I've got a meeting with the Captain. Please, Doctor, will you contact me if there's an update in her condition?"

"Certainly...I'll do so immediately."

The medical professional chit chat over with, Cameron offered a genuine smile of understanding before leaving. He couldn't believe the situation nor the condition but a full diagnosis and prognosis would be needed before a decision could be made on how to act. He couldn't feel anything but empathy for the young woman suffering. He just hoped that Doctor Morientes could isolate the cause of the symptoms before it became impossible to treat.
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche
NCC-38897-B

"Some patients, though conscious that their condition is perilous, recover their health simply through their contentment with the goodness of the physician." - Hippocrates 460-400 B.C.

Fairbairn
Senior Staff

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:57 pm

<<Captains Ready Room, 1314, Day 1>>

Somewhat disgruntled by his meeting with Lieutenant Grayson and the recent news of Sarah Treala's condition aboard the Starbase, the ships new Doctor could only think of one place to wander himself off to next. The Captain's office. He had felt an urge to visit Isabel before the ship was underway, just to catch up and to see how things were on her side of life. After exiting the turbolift he strode casually to the ready room door, hands buried in the pockets of his medical coat as per the usual. When he got there, though, he hesitated. Something was burning at the back of his mind. Was it just apprehension? Nerves. He didn't know, but eventually he snapped himself in line enough to push the chime on the door.

Isabel heard the doorchime. At this point, she was more surprised if she didn't hear it. "Enter."

Cameron stepped through the doorway and into the warmly lit office and offered his bright smile. He was genuinely glad to see her. "Good afternoon, Captain, just dropping by to say hello." His voice was a little croaky at first.

Seeing Cameron enter her Ready Room brought back a jumbled flood of emotions, but she had known he would be there at some point. Isabel smiled, "Hello Cameron. Drop the Captain already, hmm? Have a seat."

He happily stepped forward and sat down, shifting a little to get comfortable. There was at first a silence as he regarded the room and then his eyes settled on hers. There was a look of confidence of which he had not seen in the past. "So...Captain, eh?" He said, putting on the Scots accent a little heavily. "And how's that workin' out for ye?"

"Yes, Captain," she grinned and laughed a little. "It can be difficult and challenging at times, but good. Different from Engineering, for sure."

He shrugged and pulled a face. "I couldn't do it myself...the ship would be running wild." Then the smile returned. "How are YOU keeping? Are things any...better?" He was careful not to penetrate the subject deeply. Just generally trying to be concerned.

Isabel's eyes lowered for a moment, then moved back to Cameron's. She knew what he was talking about, even if he didn't come right out and say it. "I'm not sure that things ever truly get better...perhaps a little bit, but that comes with time. Apparently we had a near brush with the Borg during our last mission though...."

He took his hands from his pockets and leant forward onto the desk, gazing at her intently. "I know how it must feel." He sighed now, trying to remain realistically. "But look at you, your career and your life. This family of crewmembers you run on sheer respect. I've heard good things, Isabel. That's proof to me that you - well, you're better."

"Perhaps," Isabel said quietly. The crew was like a family, but none of them could replace Derek. And she still hadn't entirely been able to let the crew into her heart, as she knew some COs could - she was too afraid of losing them in some way. After a few moments of silence, she turned back to Cameron, "And what about you? How have things been for you? What gives me the pleasure of having Dr. Fairbairn as my new Chief Medical Officer?"

"Hmmmm..." He mused jokingly. "A mixture of boredom, curiosity and laziness?" He laughed at her raise eyebrow and shrugged. "I needed to get off the Cheyenne and in that dull diagnostics office. I wanted to see you and find out how you were doing. And well, now I'm an active department head...I call the shots. No more following Doctor Caffe's orders." He grinned now, although his answer was
pretty genuine.

"You never were overly fond of him, were you?" Isabel mused. "I must say I am glad to see you. We can use a good Chief Medical Officer...and from what I hear, there's a new Assistant Chief and Medical officer."

Cameron cocked an eyebrow at this one. "Really? I wasn't aware of that, I didn't expect a very big department...although I did expect some nice, modern equipment."

She nodded, "I have their transfer orders here. One of them, Ensign Quarterstaff transferred on during our last mission, but Chief Petty Officer Saunders should be reporting in soon. It's not the biggest department, but it's fair sized. And yes, there is some modern equipment at your disposal."

"Good, that's helpful. I'll get in touch with them asap. What are your crew like? Easy going?" He didn't recall his meeting with the intelligence officer to her.

Considering his question a moment, Isabel answered, "Most of them are. Not all though. Our Chief Intelligence Officer can be...difficult at times and rather paranoid, which is to be expected, I suppose. And whenever we find our Chief Flight Control Officer, well, that won't be pretty."

"Yeah, I've met Lieutenant Grayson. He's...well, devoted. That's a good way to describe it."

Isabel quirked an eyebrow, "You've met him already, hmm? How did that go?"

He shrugged. "I'm not sure, it was interesting for one thing. He seemed almost determined to find some dirt on me, as if he was certain I had committed some anti-Starfleet crime." He screwed up his face and locked eyes with her. "I don't think we got on very well..."

She sighed, "Mark doesn't seem to get along with many people very well, to be honest. The majority of the crew is quite the opposite though. They're all very good at what they do and most are rather personable."

"Good, that's pleasing. Don't get me wrong I understand where the Lieutenant was coming from. I'm quite sure I can let it pass, seen as how he was doing his job." He smiled and stood up. "And I'm glad to be here. But for now, good Captain, I have medical staff to see to and a patient aboard the Starbase to deal with - if you'll excuse me."

"Absolutely," Isabel smiled. "It's good seeing you again Cameron."

His eyes softened and he nodded. "You too, Isabel. If you ever need me...I'll be in sickbay." And nice and simply, satisfied by the meeting, he turned and left the Ready Room - hands in coat pockets again.

JP by:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche - NCC-38897-B

AND
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche
NCC-38897-B

"Some patients, though conscious that their condition is perilous, recover their health simply through their contentment with the goodness of the physician." - Hippocrates 460-400 B.C.

Sovereign
Senior Staff

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:14 am

<<Starbase Prominade, 1422 hours, Day One>>

Finally the report was done with, after two long hours. It was such a report to go deal with having not even been in the labs much since coming aboard. That, and when she was aboard, she's wasn't in the role of the Cheif Science Officer, as one would assume. No, she was a commander, leading the charge as the majority of the senior staff had been dealing with...well...a pratical joke.

When the report was submitted in to the Captain, she made for a quick bee line to the starbase docking port. Ready to be away from serivce-ralated doings and being able to relax.

Or, relax as much as one could given all the other strange happenings that Yrel's had to deal with in the personal regards. No matter how much one tried - unless they were vulcan - one couldn't get over a nightmare with a past love, a pregnancy, and a shrouded man that easily. More so than most was the pregnancy. That part rang a bell on Yrel that distrubed her and made her too uncomfortable for her own good.

A baby. She hadn't thought about it since leaving the Academy. It was a detached line of thought before, as she still suffered from her old ways of thinking as an immortal Baku. Plus, back then she was still more concerned about the serious enough changes to her female physique than be concerned over the overwhelming desire to carry and birth her own blood in the form of a child.

Yrel strolled the prominade, with a frown. She couldn't focus on the nice shops that displayed a wide variety of beautiful dresses. Stopping in front of one, forcing herself to look at the display case, she saw a dress that had sexy seductress written all over it. It was a firy red, with a deep neckline that emphasised a woman's clevage and drawing attention to them, while the back was bare and cut low enough to leave drolling men staring at her rear as she walked away. A powerful dress for a woman who handle it and use it well. Yrel was too intimidated to be able to wear such a dress. She continued to walk.

Mommy. The words she'd had been dying to her from her own flesh and blood since her and Dyle had made their own private vows to each other on the shores of Lake Emashi back home. If Dyle had been a man, or a successful hermaphrodite for that matter, she'd had likely have been a mother of four by now. Happy as can be with someone she'd never want to live without.

Yrel stopped at another store and looked into its display window. A human shop displaying...a naughty schoolgirl outfit? Uh...

She looked up and saw that it was a sex store, for those couples that had lost the kick in their relationship and sought aid. Yrel moved on again. She neither a relationship nor a sex life that need aid. She hardly had one to begin with, since being cosmetically altered and starting over with a fresh life.

The more she dreaded over the ideas of motherhood, the more she was getting built on the idea of pursuing it. Pregnancy wasn't a hard thing to start. She remembered someone in the Academy that told her of the outstanding rate of pregnancy that had occured in North America during the late 20th and early 21st century. Most of those, apparently, had been young teens. Yrel certainly had what it took to get pregnant. Over and over, she had always been told by co-workers and slave owners how much Yrel could make playing on her sex appeal. Each time, Yrel shrugged it off in favour of learning her duty and becoming good at what she did. Now, she was thinking of backstepping a bit and maybe...

Entering a small, quiet bar, Yrel sat at the bar counter and ordered a glass of some fruity cocktail. She was already lost in thought by the time a nice gentlemen put the drink on his tab as a token to a beautiful woman.
Lieutenant Yrel Sovereign
Chief Science Officer
& Second Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Hawkins
Senior Staff

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:35 pm

<<Deck 7, 1330, Day 1>>

Jack had been walking the ship after his somewhat confrontational meeting with his new boss, he didn't trust him, he didn't trust anyone with an association with Foster, including himself much of the time. There was something about him that made Jack doubt Grayson was a run of the mill Intelligence officer, and that Grayson seemed to believe there was only one way to do the job, and that was his way. Hawkins simply hadn't ever got used to doing anything anyone else way but his own.

He'd been trying to get his bearings on this ship, it was much smaller than the nebula class but would still take some time to get used to, he had been to his quarters first to pick up his transfer orders and decided now was as good of a time as any to head to the bridge to see his new Captain, after meeting Grayson he was beginning to wonder if his assignment on the Malinche would be any more enjoyable than his last, and that would ultimately come down to his new captain.

"Bridge" He said as he entered the empty turbolift which took off hurtling towards Deck one. It promptly arrived at its destination just as he did up the outer jacket of his uniform. He stepped out on the crisp and slightly unconventional bridge of the Prometheus class vessel, the light and airy d?cor continued into here. The Captains chair stood very isolated in the centre of the room, you would have to be a confident person to sit in that seat. Except the single conn and ops console in the centre of the front of the bridge the rest of the stations all lined and faced the outside edge of the bridge, an efficient, if somewhat unique design.

The bridge wasn't fully staffed, not surprising given they were docked and much of the ships crew were on shoreleave, most people wandering the halls were assigned to the Starbase. The crew that were on the bridge turned their heads when the doors opened, but upon realising that it was no one of any importance they quickly returned to their duties.

He walked to door that lead to the captains ready room and pressed the door chime?.

Isabel was in a better mood after talking with Cameron, though she was beginning to wonder if she'd ever get to enjoy her shoreleave. Just as she was sitting down with a glass of cider, her door chime rang yet again, "Come in."

She took her seat as the doors swished open, allowing a grey uniformed officer to enter. Judging by the uniform and the officer's rank, Isabel guessed he was her new Assistant Chief Intelligence Officer. Part of her wondered if he'd already gotten a 'welcome aboard chat' with Mark. "Good afternoon, have a seat. Mr. Hawkins, I presume?"

Jack was greeted by somone who seem infintely more polite than Lieutenant Grayson, "Hi," he said moving round to take a seat in the once again warmly decorated office, this ship certainly was a contradiction. "And yes I am Ma'am, reporting for duty and all that", he leant forward smiling and extended his hand which still held his transfer orders, "just thought I'd stop by and say hello in person."

Jack was greeted by someone who already seemed infinitely more polite than Lieutenant Grayson, "Hi," he said moving round to take a seat in the once again warmly decorated office, this ship certainly was a contradiction. "And yes I am Ma'am, reporting for duty and all that", he leant forward smiling and extended his hand which still held his transfer orders, "just thought I'd stop by and say hello in person."

Isabel nodded, taking the PADD and holding out her hand to shake his, "Good to meet you, Mr. Hawkins. How was your journey to the Starbase? I hope we didn't keep you waiting here too long..."
He shook the offered hand, "I do admit, I was getting a tad 'antsy', it's funny, a few years ago I'd never really left ground for a prolonged period of time, now I seem to get easily bored staying in one place for so long"
Jack still wasn't sure why he was here, the transfer request didn't have Captain Kersares name on it, nor the Office of Personnal Management, and Grayson had said "Foster told me not to take you in", this gave the impression it was neither Fosters idea, nor Graysons, just who had arranged for Jack to be given this assignment? Jack loved a good mystery, you'd have to in his previous line of work, he was determined to try and get to the bottom of it.
"I do have a couple of questions though Captain, number one, has my new boss ever actually cracked a smile in his life? and more seriously, do you have any idea why I'm here?"

"Mr. Grayson is...usually very serious, especially about his work, which I'll admit I don't always agree with. And no, Mr. Hawkins, I'm not sure exactly why you were sent to my ship, though we were in need of an Assistant Chief Intel Officer," Isabel said.

"Ah, I just find it a bit disconcerting talking to someone how doesn't blink......" Jacks eyes glanced off into the middle distance, "anyway as for the assignment," they snapped back, "I'm glad to be here, don't get me wrong, its just I'm not sure why, I wouldn't mind if the transfer orders had a name attached, its just suspicious is all, but then there's so much damned cloak and danger work attached to wearing a grey uniform that I should be used to it by now...."

Isabel smiled sypathetically, "No matter what your job, things can still catch you off guard. Have you had a chance to take a look around the ship? I'm afraid it's not quite up to standards, we had a few...situations...that are still getting cleaned up."

"I was meaning to ask about that, I haven't had a chance to read through the last mission report yet because I haven't had my access codes transfered yet, and when I ask the happy go lucky bunny in the Intelligence office he seemed reluctant to go into details...."

"Well, for starters, we had an insubordinate crewmember who was arrested, then concocted an escape plan. He succeeded, but some crewmembers were injured, a few were killed. I'll make sure your code authorizations are transferred and you can read up on the last mission," Isabel offered.

"Well that sucks" Jack said before realising he had best clarify what he meant, "About the injuries and stuff....not the reading," he paused and nodded his head very slightly "I can read...." He offered a slight smile and carried on, "I'd appreciate the codes Ma'am. Well I guess I'll be off and explore the rest of this ship before I'm due to come on duty, and no doubt you'll want to head off ship and enjoy some shore leave, so I won't keep you" Jack stood from his chair and offered his hand over the table once more.

Smiling Isabel took his hand and shook it, "Pleasure to have you aboard, Mr. Hawkins. I hope you enjoy your time with us."

"I hope so too, it was nice meeting you" Jack turned a headed out the door he came in, now feeling more relaxed, the captain seemed more personable than Foster had been, he took this to mean there was hope for the rest of the crew yet. Though Jack knew better than most, appearances can be deceptive...

OFF:

A JP by

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche - NCC-38897-B

AND
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:52 pm

[[ USS Malinche, ]]
[[ Ready Room, 1430 hours, day 1 ]]

Mark Grayson had a lot in his mind when Captain Kersare called him to her Ready Room. He had interviewed several new senior officers, all with different results. Mark was confident any of them offered any threat to the ship. They were, actually, good officers.

Another piece of news Mark had received several minutes before being called by Kersare, was Abubakar's arrest. Grayson's source gave him a full report and the spy had to admit the helm officer was quite impressive. For a traitor.

Then, there was his trip to Maran with Jason Barrett and his companion. It would be tough, but, Mark was ready. He needed to leave the ship and do some field work, aside being locked up with Peters or playing Volleyball for the amusement of aliens.

Finally, he stood outside the Ready Room, having only a slight idea of why she would be calling him there. He pressed the bell and waited.

Isabel set down the most recent reports she'd received, "Enter."

As the doors opened, she saw Mark enter her Ready Room. Apparently he'd gotten her message. "Good afternoon, Mr. Grayson, have a seat."

Mark nodded. "Thank you, Captain", answered him, sitting. "What seems to be the problem?"

Isabel quirked an eyebrow, "Did I ever mention a problem?"

"No, you haven't, Captain. My mistake", replied Mark calmly.

"Anyway...from what I hear, you've been having...discussions with some of our new crewmembers. How are those going?" Isabel thought it might be a good idea to see what Mark's thoughts were.

"Discussions, Captain?", asked Mark sounding confused. "I didn't have any discussion with the new crew members. I just made the usual interview to assess their level of clearance, among other things. It's business as usual. There's nothing to report", he answered, expressionless.

Somehow, Isabel was more inclined to believe Cameron rather than Mark. Probably because she'd known him longer and he wasn't an Intelligence Officer. "The last I checked, Mr. Grayson, a person's clearance is generally stated in their service record, which I'm sure you looked over. I'd appreciate it if you'd keep these 'interviews' more low key...especially since you'll be working with these officers in the future."
So, someone had complained to her and she was letting him know there isn't much a Captain doesn't know aboard its own ship. Point taken. Still, there were things to be said. "With all due respect, Captain, record files aren't perfect and there's a lot things it doesn't say. I was merely performing my duty. But, I'll make my best to be... less intrusive next time Is that acceptable, Captain?

Isabel nodded, "Please make sure you do, Mr. Grayson." Considering his profession, Isabel was certain that at times he would end up doing things that she didn't like. At the same time, that didn't mean she had to put up with all of it, especially if she knew about it and it could damage the crew's relationships with each other.

"Is there anything you need to report to me, or shall I go on with the last piece of business?" Part of her simply wanted to get the last part over with, as she wasn't entirely comfortable with it, but at the same time, she did want to hear if there was something he had to inform her about.

"Aside Mr. Abubakar arrest, there's nothing new. Oh, there's one thing: I'll be spending my shoreleave in Maran with some friends. I believe Lieutenant Hawkins can handle things until I get back, Captain."

"Very well," Isabel said. "I have one last thing, Mr. Grayson." She slid the box containing his full pip over to him across her desk. "You've been promoted to full Lieutenant. I'm not exactly sure who sent the promotion order through, but, here it is."

Mark looked at box and tilted his head to the right and grabbed the box. "I would say thank you, Captain, but I have a feeling you wouldn't give this promotion if you haven't been ordered to do so.", said him, softly."Not that I don't understand the reasons. I just would like to say that everything I do is for this Starship, for Starfleet and The Federation."

Isabel sighed quietly, "You're right, Mr. Grayson, I wouldn't have given the promotion of my own accord. I realize you're in Intelligence and that in that line of work not everything can always be done by the book, so to speak. At the same time, it's hard to weigh your Intelligence responsibilities against what I feel is right and how I feel things should be done on my ship. I'm also not exactly appreciative of someone going over my head to give promotions, though that's not your fault, of course. I do hope that you understand where I'm coming from."

"Yes, I can understand" replied Mark evenly. "Sometimes, Captain, it is best for you not to know what I'm doing, for the sake of deniablity and, there's not a good captain that likes to be in the dark. I'll do my best to prove to you I deserve this promotion, but I can't guarantee I'll be able to be straight with about many things. But I'm certainly going to try", he said with a rare moment of sincerity.

"Enjoy your time on Maran, Mr. Grayson, and say hello to Ms. Darkhelm if you happen to see her. And, thank you for the work ethic you've shown thus far - despite how I may feel about how you go about your work, there is no doubt that you put a great deal of effort into your work," Isabel replied.

Mark nodded. "No need to thank me, Captain. I only do what I must to give you a chance to make an informed decision as well protect the ship About Maran, I'll try to enjoy my time there as much I didn't not enjoy my time in Direidi", he replied with in humorous remark.

Isabel nodded and watched Mark walk out the door. Part of her wondered if he had alternative motives for going to Maran, but it was probably best not to ask.

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant Mark Grayson
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Saunders
Junior Staff

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:31 pm

{USS Malinche}
{Captains Ready Room, 1500 hours Day 1}

Thea waited outside of the room that she had been reliably informed was the ?captains ready room? Why they couldn?t just call it an office like most normal people would was beyond her. But for the current moment she didn?t care, her stomach was full and her spirits lifted. Nothing could bring her down.

As the day wore on, Isabel was beginning to believe it should've been called 'Meeting Day'. Sighing, she heard the doorchime yet again, "Come on in."

Walking into the ready room Thea smiled at the young woman who was the ships CO. Walking up to the desk she extended her hand in a pre-offered hand shake. ?Thea Saunders MD, I?d be medicals new girl.?

Isabel stood and shook Thea's hand, smiling, "Nice to meet you, Dr. Saunders. Please have a seat. I take it you're the new Assistant Chief Medical Officer?"

Thea sat down. ?Yep that?s me, slight change of pace in all truth this is my first ship board posting, fortunately the girls are now at that stage where they don?t need mum around to check for monsters under the bed or Targs in the cupboard.? Thea allowed a small laugh to pass from her lips. ?So, is it Isabel or Izzy??

"Isabel, if you would," she smiled. Technically her sister and parents sometimes called her 'Isa', but among others she'd always been known by Isabel. "I'm glad you were transferred over. We recently also gained a new Chief Medical Officer and another Medical Officer."

?I thought as much, you look vastly more like an Isabel than an Izzy. So all change onboard the good ship Malinche you?ve got yourself a near as Damnit all new medical department. Hardly the perfect start to your day.? Almost instantly Thea turned into doctor mode. ?Tell me Isabel, when was the last time you ate??

Isabel blinked, not expecting the question, "Well, I've not honestly had a full meal since breakfast, but I have been having little things to eat in between my meetings."

?And don?t tell me, breakfast was hardly substantial, maybe a piece of French toast some non caffeinated tea and if you?re feeling really reckless half a grapefruit?? The commented standing and moving over to the captains replicator neither waiting or asking for permission. ?Computer, chicken club sandwich, with a side salad on malted rye bread? Picking up the food she placed infront of the captain. ?I don?t usually trust replicated food stuffs myself but in this instance, beggers can?t be choosers.?

"Actually breakfast was toast, bacon, eggs, and juice," Isabel said as Thea stood up and went to her replicator. She looked down at the food Thea had set before her... Isabel wasn't a big fan of chicken, but since she had a feeling the doctor would protest if she didn't begin eating, Isabel started on the salad. "If I may ask, why don't you trust the replicators? Do you do your own cooking?"

?My mother is something of a traditionalist, refused to have replicator on the home it rubbed off on me. Food is so much more comforting when you?ve made it yourself. There is something about even the simple things like handling a piece of raw steak with your own hands. Of course that could be the surgeon in me talking as well.? Thea laughed once again, the musical lilt to her voice making her laughter almost infectious. ?Listen to me go on, I?m sure you have vastly more interesting things to do than listening to me go on.?

"It's quite alright," Isabel smiled. "I like the opportunity to get to know my crew. How long have you been on Starbase 259?"

?Two days. Ant, my husband insisted on bringing me. It?s the first time since the war that we won?t be sharing the same bed every night. He?s a tad worried about this assignment. A galaxy class or another Starship he could have lived with, solely because he could have come along.?

Isabel nodded, "Understandable. What does he do?" In the back of her mind, Isabel's mind had started to slip back to the time when she and her husband served on the same ship.

Thea laughed once again, ?He?s also a doctor, head of synthetic medicine at sacred heart on Luna, that?s actually were I met him. It was?a fast courtship, not as fast as he wanted mind you.?

"Well, if he didn't already have the position on Luna, I would've suggested potentially bringing him aboard as well. And your children? Are they going into medicine as well?" Isabel could sympathize to a point with their being separated, but at least they could still talk to each other and see each other at some points, unlike she and Derek.

?Phillipa is, so far, the only one of the Saunders-O?Dell clan who isn?t going into the family business. She?s in her fist year at the academy, carving out a career for herself in the Tactical arm of the fleet. Taya on the other hand, well at 14 she seems more interested in less than suitable young men than a future career. Having said that I wouldn?t be surprised if she did go into medicine as well. Her father used to have her sit in on surgeries, she?s possibly the only 14 year old I know who could lend a hand in a synthetic limb replacement.? Thea explained with a smile, she truly was beginning to miss her girls even this early into her assignment.

Isabel smiled, "I'm sure they'll both turn out wonderful. Have you had a chance to get a look around the Malinche yet? Or to meet any of the others?"

Thea shook her head. ?No, not yet I haven?t even had a chance to carve out my own little niche in sickbay yet. Hell I haven?t even had a chance to look at my quarters, although I?ll be honest with you. A large part of me doesn?t want to look in my quarters there just going to seem so empty on my own. Of course I guess I could always advertise for a roommate.? Thea explained with a laugh.

Laughing a little with Thea, Isabel replied, "I'm sure you'll get situated soon. You're welcome to ask around for a roommate if you'd like. I'm not sure who would or would not be interested, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask."

Thea smiled ?I can see the add now. ?Doctor seeks roommate, must like home cooked food be able to put up with singing at all hours and the occasional gathering of staff to be force fed real food.? Who could resist?? Thea stood. ?Well Isabel, it?s been a pleasure but I guess I should go look at this sickbay.?

Isabel stood as well, "Pleasure meeting you, Dr. Saunders. If there's anything you need, please let me know."

"Don't worry Isabel, I will. And please, it's Thea"

OFF:

Joint post brought to you by the letter Y and the Number 6

Captain Isabel Kersare

and
Chief Petty Officer
Thea Saunders-O'Dell
Assistant Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche

"When you're good to mama, mama's good to you."

Barrett
Senior Staff

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:17 pm

[[USS Malinche]]
[Barrett's Quarters, 1500, Day 1]

Jason didn't like how coy Mark seemed to be acting. He knew that Mark was well connected and he had a feeling that things were going on behind the sences and he wasn't wlling to let Jason in on that just yet. Generally that was fine with him, although when it came to concerning one of his friends, he wasn't too happy about being left in the dark.

"You look a little worried," Adam (NPC) said.

"I am...you up for a trip to Maran?"

"Sure!" Adam beamed. "Wait a second, this isn't a work related trip, is it?"

"Yes and no," Jason said. "Mark is implying that something is up on Maran with Amanda."

"Is she ok?" Adam asked, concern deep in his voice.

"Thats just it," Jason said. "They aren't sure; or rather Mark isn't telling what he does know."

"You think that he knows something?"

"He's intelligence Adam, of course he knows something...I'm just not sure what is is that he knows. We'll worry about that later, come on we have to pack."

OFF:
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Angelini
Senior Staff

Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:46 am

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Lounge, Day 1 20:00 hrs>>

James had finished his day's work and headed to the lounge to have his 'date' with Debora.

Debora walked into the lounge and saw the Tactical Chief she walked up and sat down at his table, "Waiting long?"

Benson grinned up at her and shook his head no as he stood to welcome her over.

"Not at all..." He said with a smile, pulling her chair out for her.

"My weren't we brought up with manners..." Debora grined as he pulled her seat out. She sat down looking at him.

James smiled at her.

"Glad you noticed. So what can I get you to drink?" He asked her.

"Something strong..." Debora smiled

"Somethin' strong comin' up..." He said with a smile and headed over to the bar, returning with two Romulan ales.

Debora looked at Benson, "You call Romulan ale strong?" She asked with a smile.

"So strong they banned it." He said.

"They banned it cause we hate the Romulans..." Debora informed him..."Ever tried Cardassian Whiskey?"

"Tastes like shit warmed over." Said James, shaking his head.

"But it is strong... I like the Klingon drinks though they have a kick." Debora grinned taking a sip o her ale.

He grinned and nodded, sipping the ale as he sat down opposite her.

"So how was your day?"

"Well Starbase security caught the rat I was after... they have him in a holding cell." Said James.

"Very interesting." Debora grinned

"How was yours?" He asked her.

"It was light, no fights so thats good" Debora smiled looking into his eyes

"That's always good." Said James with a smile.

"So what do you think of the Malinche?" He asked her.

"I am liking it every second." She said staring at him.

"I am too." He said, looking right back into her eyes.

"You know...I am not gonna beat around the bush, I like you." Debora said softly.

"I like you too." James said with a smile.

Debora grinned, and raised her glass. "For liking each other."

"For liking each other." Said James with a nod, raising his glass, clinking their glasses together.

Debora finished of her drink..."What now?"

"Well I was told I had to have a drink to earn my way to a dinner date with you." James said with a smile.

"Do you always do what you are told?" Debora grinned.

"When I want a chance with a beautiful woman..." Said James with a smile.

"Well life is full of chances..." Debora said softly moving closer to him.

"And opportunity only knocks once." He said.

"Well then..." Debora said softly leaning closer to James, "Open the door..."

He smiled and pressed his lips to hers, kissing her softly.

Debora places a hand on his cheek, deepening the kiss.

The Texan wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her passionately, holding the Italian beauty in his arms.

When the kiss broke, Debora looked into his eyes, "I think you earned that dinner..." She smiled cupping his cheek with her hand smiling.

"I'm glad to hear that." Said James with a smile.

Debora smiled, she looked at his lips then back to his eyes. She blinked a couple times then closed her eyes and leaned down and capture his lips again.

He kissed her in return, glad that he had won the privilege for a dinner date with her.

OFF:

Lt. James Benson III
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

&
Lieutenant JG Debora Angelini
Chief Diplomatic Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Abubakar
Senior Staff
Location: A hole, usually, sometimes referred to as Blackpool (UK)

Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:02 pm

ON:
.Starbase 259, Sickbay.

18:00

James Benson had strapped the phaser to his hip and smirked. It wasn't every day that one caught a rat. He strode off of the Malinche and though the starbase, the Texan quickly made it to the sickbay of the starbase where they were keeping Abubakar.

There was some kind of distant rumbling, is gradually formed into voices and footsteps. He opened his eyes, which didn't make sense, hell looked like a sickbay ceiling. "No..." he whispered to himself. Jaran tried to sit bolt upright and was immediately knocked back by a tight-form forcefield.

"He's in there." Said one orderly after Benson asked about Jaran and he smirked, cocking his head to the side, his hands clasped behind his back as he walked in to see Jaran n the bed.

"Well well well... you're a bit big for a rat..." Said James

"Piss off" Jaran spat back at the arrogant smug excuse for a man. There had to be some way out, there was always a way. Jaran had murdered the population of an entire planet yet he couldn't get off a bed, he mentally cursed himself. There had to be a way out.

"Piss off... well now tha's not a good way to get on my good side rat..." Said James with a smirk, his eyes narrowing maliciously.

"You call me rat once, I let it go 'cos you're an idiot. But now I'm gonna kill ya when I get out here. When." Jarans jaw clenched. "What do you want?" he demanded, with no hint of surrender in his voice.

"Ohhhh I could be corny... and tell you how I want to bring you in to justice, but right now, I'm just enjoying watching you struggle... like a rat... in a trap..." Said James with a snicker.

Jaran could feel his skin heat up with anger, he felt his eyes burn with rage. "You're going to die." He locked eyes with the Lieutenant, "And I ain't struggling. If you want to be half-decent in that uniform, you'll learn patience, and how to bide your time, how to watch for every little detail. Lieutenant...Benson, right?" Jaran looked away. Transfer orders were so easy to 'procure'. For Jaran.

"Don't worry Jaran... I've got all the time in the world... I've been wearing this uniform long enough to know exactly what's going on... You're pissed off right now because you never thought you'd be incapable of escaping a simple forcefield... Well don't you worry... I'll let you out... when I'm ready." Said Benson.

"There are ways" Jaran said simply. "You're so cocky and arrogant because you're a war Ensign. You think the Quadrant owes you a favor, you're weak, you're complacent. You've become so blinded by your own achievements and you're own self-righteousness that you neglect the obvious."

"Oh really? I'm a war ensign? One of those young pups who got tossed out of the academy halfway through and into the meatgrinder of the Dominion War because the Federation couldn't hack it? That's what I am?" Said Benson, cocking an eyebrow and smirking. This man may have glanced at his face and his name, but he knew little about him.

Abubakar smiled. "No, but thanks for proving my point and giving me a heads up" He shook his head and grinned. Jaran quickly regretted the action as he became incredibly dizzy.

Benson smiled.

"So why did you do it? Oh don't get me wrong, I have my theories and my beliefs about you already, but I prefer to hear it straight from the rat's own mouth." Said Benson, leaning back against a biobed.

"Go with your own theories" Jaran wasn't going to indulge the Lieutenant. He turned his head to the side slowly, wincing through the pain. He looked at Benson and smiled.

"Well I'm no shrink, so I can't say for absolute certain. But I suppose that whatever rock they stick you on after your court martial, it will give you ample time to see just what kind of a traitorous murderer you are." Benson said with a smirk.

Benson had no idea, Jaran was a murderer alright, but this small man had just no idea, no comprehension, of just how much of a murderer he was. Benson was an intelligent man, probably connected. "Operation Green Inferno" Jaran said to him.

"Ahhh yes... the debacle that made the Chernobyl disaster on Earth look like a campfire." Said Benson with a slow nod.

"And you've got no regrets at all?" Asked James.

Jaran swallowed the lump in his throat. So he knew. "The needs of the many..." he said, quoting some old proverb he'd heard somewhere

"Do not excuse mass murder you sanctimonious son of a bitch." James hissed viciously.

Jaran had pressed the button. He looked right into Bensons eyes, right in. "Then go to your mama, and burn her, and your father, your whole family, burn them all and make them experience the agony of Thelaron exposure. Then tell me my actions were wrong. " He deliberately twitched his lips into an arrogant smile.

"And there in lies the fault with you... And that's why you're a magnificently despicable bastard. You know it's wrong. You know it hurts. You know everything you did is wrong. But you don't want to accept that you fucked up so you have to rationalize it. Soothe your troubled soul. You twist it around so it doesn't bother you. But deep down... deep deep down... it hurts... it burns... and no matter how much bullshit you throw on top of it with your half-truths and twisted little lies, that painful fire still burns... I'm going to watch it consume you boy... Because I've been there... And I know just what it's like to live with pain." Said Benson, moving right over to nearly spit his words at Jaran, his face only separated from Jaran by the forcefield.

Somehow, somewhere, the words hit a target. "Like I said, you neglect the obvious" he smiled and headbutted Benson. Right in the nose. The idiot didn't even know that biobed forcefields only contained the body from the neck to the shins. Jaran felt quite satisfied his point was proved. He knew he wouldn't get anywhere by squirming up the length of the forcefield, so he lay still, satisfied.

James winced as the blow smashed into his nose. There wasn't much
leverage for Jaran to truly get much force behind the headbutt, but it
still left James' sinuses stinging and he backed up. He had gotten
careless. Not again. He wouldn't give this jerk the satisfaction of
falling into it again. He checked his temper as his reaction was to haul
off and smack Jaran with a good fist to the jaw, but there was no
satisfaction in it. He couldn't fight back. If he was a little less sane
he'd have ordered Jaran up and released the field to beat some respect
into the slightly younger Bajoran.

"You better learn some respect for your betters... and learn it quick
boy." Said Benson, turning on his heel to exit sickbay. He had to report
in to Captain Kersare.

Jaran deliberately messed up the stifling of a laugh. "Benson!" he called after the Lieutenant, who from Jarans perspective was very much in retreat

James cocked an eyebrow and turned.

"Yes?" He asked, looking at Jaran.

Jaran audibly chuckled. "You're such a fucking predictable idiot. And I AM going to end your life...one day." He turned his head away and looked at the ceiling again.

"Jaran... I was wrong to call you a rat... it's an insult to rodentia everywhere." James smirked and walked

Jaran shook his head, in disappointment more than anything else. He had over-estimated Benson, the moron had the intellect of a nine year old - even less than the majority of knuckle-scraping security officers.

A JP by:

Lieutenant James Samuel Benson III
USS Malinche - NCC 38997-B

and
Lieutenant Abubakar Jaran
Deceased
The Anti-Lamb 666
Flying Monk-eh
U.S.S Malinche

"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet