Lost and Found

Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Zeral
Senior Staff

Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:42 pm

<<SB 386-B Promenade, 1807, Day 4>>

?One drink will not kill you, Nor.? Nora looked dubiously at Talia (NPC), her eyebrows raised and a wry little half smile on her lips.

?For the second time, no thanks,? she asserted, laughing as Talia grumbled unintelligibly and took a sip of her own drink. ?I had a little too much wine a few days ago, and it wasn?t a very pleasant morning for me the next day.?

?A little too much meaning more than one glass?? Talia didn?t need a verbal response from her friend to know she was right; the look on Nora?s face was answer enough. ?All right, all right, I?m sorry. So what was it you wanted to talk about? Something about a Borg drone??

It was the second time the pair had gotten together since they had unexpectedly run into each other three days before in the promenade. An old friend and equally experienced counselor, it was Nora?s hope that Talia could offer her some much needed advice. ?Technically a former Borg drone,? she clarified, absently threading her fingers together as she spoke. ?And the husband of the Malinche?s Captain, as it happens.?

Talia blinked once, twice, and then took a large drink from her glass. ?You don?t say,? she murmured. ?That is one hell of a coincidence, Nor. And it sounds like it?s going to be one hell of a mess, too.?

?Can you imagine?? Nora wondered aloud, her dark eyes reflecting her own disbelief. ?I?ve met with him, briefly, and I?ve been back to check on him once or twice. His former identity is there somewhere?I can sense it. It gives me some hope, but the more I think about it the more I can?t help but feel that the damage done during his time as a drone is, well, irreparable.?

Talia took a moment to ponder that. ?There have been cases when a former drone has made an almost full recovery.?

?I know that, but the key word is almost. I don?t want almost. If it?s even remotely possible, I want him to have a complete recovery. I want to give him his life back, and I want to give the Captain her husband back. But I?m starting to wonder if that?s even realistic??

?Hmm. You know, Nora, from the stories you?ve told me, you?ve had more experience with the Borg than I have. I?m not really sure how I can help you.?

Nora could sense her friend?s hesitation and guilt accompanying the statement. ?I know,? she sighed, smiling grimly. ?But my experience has been based mostly on survivors of Borg encounters, not with rehabilitating Borg survivors. Former Borg survivors. Survivors who were Borg. Well, you get what I mean. I was just hoping for a fresh perspective, or at least a shoulder I could cry on for a moment. That?s perfectly healthy, isn?t it??

?Perfectly,? Talia agreed with a smile. ?Here?s what I think, Nora. You love what you do. That?s obvious. You were always more enthusiastic about being a counselor than I ever was, and I can see that you still are. You are a good counselor. I?d be willing to bet a great one, even. There is no black and white when dealing with this sort of thing. You?ve got to follow your gut, pay attention to what you feel is right, and who knows. Maybe you can make the impossible possible.?

Nora absorbed her advice, nodding slowly. ?Well, I appreciate your vote of confidence. I just wish there weren?t so many maybes involved.?

?I?ll drink to that,? Talia grinned, finishing her drink in one gulp.

OFF:

Lieutenant Talia Hooper (NPC)

and
Last edited by Zeral on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Hunt
Senior Staff

Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:09 pm

<<USS Malinche, Starbase 386-B, MD02, 1000>>

Mason was about to enter the lift, when a crewman carrying a stack of padd's that extended just above his visual perception collided with the first officer and landing on his face.

As a result Mason suffered a small bruise on his hand but it didn't stop him from helping the young officer to her feet.

"I am sorry sir. I am late for a meeting in astrophysics and just managed to cram all of these reports and studies together." she said gathering up the padds.

Hunt smiled and helped her pick up the padd's, he didn't recognize the officer since there had been a numerous amount of new faces appear on the Malinche.

"Its no problem ensign..."

"Ensign Artria sir. Thank you again."

The lift had arrived with only Mason stepping inside.

"Are you coming in?" he asked.

"That's ok sir I will catch the next one, besides these padd's are out of order."

The lift doors closed allowing Mason to head up to the bridge.
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Hunt
Senior Staff

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:36 am

<<USS Malinche, Starbase 386-B, MD02, 1010>>

Although he had already eaten, for some odd reason Mason was hungry yet again. The typical breakfast of sausage hash browns and vanilla mint coffee didn?t fill him as was the norm with him. So he pulled out a small padd and jotted a note to see the doctor.

The ride was long and boring, but he was still excited to see his cousin and his child. Every time the image of his little cousin entered his mind it made him wish that he started a family so many years ago. As he sat there hearing the lift continue to zoom it?s way up he was thinking about how the notion of not having to carrying on the Hunt line bothered him.

Sure he had many relatives that bore male children, but he too wanted a child to fill the missing void in his life.

Threw out his life, he and his cousin set goals of what they wanted to achieve before they reached the age of 45. Seeing as though his cousin already had a head start and was doing more with life than he was the ugly face of jealousy began to set upon his face.

The lift began to slow but it had not reached the bridge yet. Two crewmen walked in both decked out in yellow tunics and talking after nodding heads with Hunt. After a short while of contemplating, Mason brushed off all of the negativity and smiled aboard as if he didn?t have a care in the world.

He watched on while the two officers stepped out allowing the lift to continue. Finally after what seemed to be hours the lift slowed allowing him to get off. Activity on the bridge was a bit higher but he strolled on over to his seat and sat down.

OFF
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Quaid
Senior Staff

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:58 pm

ON:

<<USS Malinche, Holodeck 1, 21:30, Day 2>>

A scorching desert sun beat down on Quaid as he struggled to get another foothold. He was about 430 feet above the ground of the program he called ?The Valley of the Gods.?

The program included a number of different climbs of varying difficulty, as he was only trying to wind down after a rough day however, he decided on taking up an easier challenge then usual.

Even with the soft simulated breeze that licked at his body, sweat poured from Jake, he had to stop and take a break to drink some water. Locking up his safety harness and re-rigging his safety line, Jake relaxed a little before reaching for the small water bottle on his harness. He took a moment to look out across the simulated desert, a number of wild animals could be seen in the distance,, some desert plantlife too.

Taking a sip of water from his bottle, he sighed with relief. It was peaceful, not eerily quiet like it was on the Sirion, but peaceful. For the first time in days, Jake was completely relaxed.

=/\= ?Bridge to Lt. Quaid,? =/\= a femanine voice piped in through the intercom.

Jake?s sigh of relief turned into a groan of frustration before he tapped the combadge that was resting neatly across the breast strap of his climbing harness.

=/\= ?Quaid here. =/\= he replied as politely as he could muster.

=/\= ?Sorry to disturb you sir but you have an incoming transmission from Earth.? =/\= the femanine voice replied.

Quaid frowned, as he wondered who could be contacting him. He?d spoken to his family before coming aboard the Malinche, could it be someone from Starfleet Security or Command?

=/\= ?Who?s it from?? =/\= Quaid asked as he slipped his water bottle back in the harness.

=/\= ?A Lt. Rachael Hubbard sir,? =/\= the voice replied.

?Rachael Hubbard? I haven?t heard from her since I left SSWAT, why would she be contacting me now?? he thought for a moment before saying. =/\= ?Okay, route the transmission to Holodeck 1 would you.? =/\=

=/\= ?Aye sir,? =/\= the voice replied before closing the channel.

?Computer, Arch, freeze program and engage safety protocols,? he told the Holodeck. The skyscape he was looking out at was quickly filled by the Holodeck?s arch. Unclipping himself from his climbing and safety lines he solidly placed his feet on what looked like thin air.

He strode across the sky to reach the arch. Reaching the doors to the holodeck, he activated the computer monitor that acted as the Holodeck?s interface.

Inputing his access code, the interface turned into a viewscreen, which was in turn filled by the image of a young, raven-haired woman.

?Well, there?s a sight for sore eyes,? the young woman grinned.

Quaid said simply, ?How are you Rachael. I see you?re still keeping tabs on me??

?You better believe it buster,? Rachael beamed,?I heard you had a run in with the Borg??

?You heard about that already?? Quaid asked, a little surprised. They hadn?t been exactly ?close? to a subspace tranceiver when the Malinche and Sentinel found the Sirion.

?Who do you think had to be ready to mobilise if your mission failed?? she asked with a small smile.

?Just be glad that everyone did their jobs then,? Quaid replied. Even though he still believed the crews of two ships failed in their mission, he knew that people like Rachael would consider it a success, regardless of the cost.

?We are?? Rachael admitted carefully. ?As trigger happy as some of us are, going up against the Borg isn?t something we look forward to. I knew you?d made sure we wouldn?t have to go through that.?

?Funny, I figured you guys would?ve had my back, or would at least call once in a while,? Quaid replied folding his arms across his chest.

?You know what this life can be like Quaid, sometimes we can?t break comms silence,? Rachael replied meekly.

?Yeah? sometimes. It seems that as soon as I made my decision to leave the squad, you guys cut me out of your lives,? Quaid spat venomously.

?I never cut you out of my life Quaid!? Rachael snapped, ?Things got in the way.?

?Yeah, like ?loyalty? to the squad,? he growled, ?I didn?t see any of the squad at your Birthday party, or your brothers funeral!?

?Quaid? please?? Rachael replied as tears welled in her eyes.

?No, don?t pull this crap on me. You know, we all talked about how we where like a family of our own, but as soon as one of us decided to leave and get some peace from everything we saw, it was like a lamb to the slaughter!? Quaid was almost shouting as he spoke. He hadn?t got this angry when fighting the Borg. ?Just tell me what you want and get this over with!?

Rachael took a moment to force her tears away, she couldn?t even look at the screen, even when she spoke. ?It?s Danny? he?s MIA!?

OFF:

To Be Continued?

A Post by:

Lt. Rachael Hubbard
Starfleet Special Weapons And Tactics Squad Commander
[NPC Played By Sean]

and
Lieutenant Jacob "Jake" Quaid
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Peters
Senior Staff

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:09 pm

ON: <<Main Engineering, USS Malinche, MD03, 1100>>

Will approached the double doors to main engineering at a brisk pace. He was hoping that Lieutenant Peters, the chief engineer, would be there, but it was possible that Peters was taking advantage of his shore leave like everyone else, especially since he had spent a lot of time on the Sirion. The doors hissed open and immediately, Will noticed the absence of the soothing hum that indicated the warp core was powered up. Reminding himself that they were still on station power, he made his way toward the center of the room in search of the chief engineer.

Peters signed off on a repair report and turned from the console to regard the warp core. Thankfully the Malinche hadn't taken too much serious damage. Most of what they couldn't fix in transit had been repaired by the Starbase 386 repair crews since they'd docked. What was left was mostly tweaks and shakedowns to get things working the way the Malinche's crew wanted them working.

"Lieutenant Peters," Will asked, approaching the chief engineer, "Lieutenant JG Will Schulz, chief of operations. Thought I'd come down and introduce myself." Will held out his hand to shake, thinking that he recognized the man from somewhere, though he couldn't quite place him.

"Good to see you getting settled in, Mister Schulz," Peters replied. He took the offered hand and shook it firmly. "We have, of course, met before, though."

Will wracked his brain, trying to remember, when suddenly, it hit him. "The Sirion," he said with realization, "I'm sorry. Things have been so hectic, I nearly forgot."

"Perfectly understandable," Peters replied. "I think we've all been run ragged the past week or so."

"Well, is there anything I can help you with," Will asked, "I've just secured the last cargo transfer from the station and, well...there's not much left for my department. The rest of my people are on the station for shore leave."

"Know anything about Deuterium Injection systems?" Peters asked hopefully. He'd been having a bit of trouble with the units in the Alpha section. It wasn't something critical for the normal operation of the ship, but if they needed Multi-Vector Assault Mode, that equipment would need to be operating at peak form.

"I wouldn't claim myself to be an expert," Will replied, "but I know a thing or two...enough to find my way around."

"Mind running a diagnostic on the Alpha Section Warp core's injectors for me, then? They've been giving me funny readings since we had issues with Multi Vector mode last week." Peters held out a PADD and grinned as he continued,"And your office is closer to that section than mine."

"I'll see what I can do," Will replied, taking the PADD and reviewing it quickly, "Anything else?"

"Not right now, Lieutenant. Nice to be working with you." Peters gave the man a smile and a mock salute. "Let me know if you need anything and I'll do the same."

Will nodded and started for the doors to the corridor, trying to remember his lessons on injection systems.

Peters watched Schulz leave, then turned back to his console. The Tactical systems had been taken care of by the new Chief Security/Tactical Officer. Peters made a mental note to congratulate Lieutenant Quaid on his new position. Returning to his checklist, he started checking to see how the re-alignment of the dilithium matrices was going.

OFF:

This has been a JP with:

Lieutenant, JG Will Schulz
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:27 pm

<<Starbase 386, Promenade, 1112, Day 3>>

Britney (PNPC) had pulled Caleb into two different stores thus far. She'd looked a good while in the first store and tried a couple things on, but found it wasn't quite her taste. Luckily Caleb (NPC) did'nt seem overly bored or annoyed with the shopping trip.

Not long after leaving the first store, Britney found another shop that looked rather interesting. It seemed to have some traditional clothing - not really costume material, the outfits were actually very pretty. "Let's go in here."

Caleb smiled, "Lead the way. This time though, you have to actually show me some of what you try on."

"None of them looked good on me in the last store, that's not my fault," she said. Tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear, she walked into the shop.

Following along behind her, Caleb was careful to stay near Britney but not get in her way. The shop was full of Trill, Bajoran, Betazoid, and Vulcan traditional clothing. He wasn't sure if Britney would specifically realize which clothes were which due to her limited time dealing with multiple races, but he was sure she'd enjoy them all the same.

Britney's eyes moved from one part of the store to the next, taking everything in...so many beautiful colors and patterns... She picked up a dress that was mainly a rich, red fabric, but part of the bodice and the sleeves were a beautiful red and gold delicate pattern. Turning to Caleb she said, "What do you think of this one?"

"Looks like a nice choice to me," he replied. "Are you going to try it on?"

"I think so, I really like the colors... I want to find a few more first though," Britney told him, turning to look at another section of the store.

Several dresses hung gracefully from their hangers in a smoky lavendar, an olive green, and sapphire blue. All were of very flowy fabrics - satin and chiffon for the most part. Each was long, but one top would be just off the shoulders, another was strapless, and the third had one strap.

Caleb came up behind Britney and looked at the three dresses as she ran her fingers through the fabric, "Very pretty - you should try them on."

"You think so?" Britney turned to him and smiled.

"Absolutely. I'm betting they'll look even better on you. Still want to find more?"

Turning slowly, Britney took another look around the shop, "Maybe just a couple more..."

<40 minutes later>

"Do you have one on yet?" Caleb had been waiting at least ten or fifteen minutes for Britney to come out. Hopefully she hadn't tried them on and decided that she hated all of them. He really did want to see her in them - he'd never seen her in anything but StarFleet uniforms.

"Hold on! I'm trying to figure out how this one goes...," she called. Apparently she should have paid more attention to the dress when it was on the hangar. Finally she realized the extra fabric had a loop - it was supposed to go diagonally across her chest. Britney stepped out of the dressing room, "Here I am."

Caleb's eyes took her in - the dress fit her perfectly - staying close to her body to show off her features, then the skirt flowed gently away from her. "Gorgeous."

"I know, the dress is great! Well, once you figure it out anyway..."

"I meant you in the dress," he said, smiling. Really Britney herself was gorgeous - he'd been admiring her since she came aboard and had been particularly glad when the group of crewmates he usually spent time with asked her to join them.

Feeling a little shy, Britney averted her eyes, smiling as she felt her cheeks burn. "Thank you," she finally managed. Not sure what else to say, Britney said, "Well, I want them all, but I really should just get one I think..."

Caleb looked at her, "You tried the others on already?"

"...Maybe?" She flashed a smile at him.

"Well, at least you showed me one I guess. And why not get them, you really didn't pick out that many and don't have anything like them, right?"

Britney shook her head, "Definitely nothing like these. I don't think I have enough credits though. Captain Kersare gave me some in case I wanted to get anything, but I only have enough for one outfit."

Caleb shrugged, "I have plenty of credits - you can use them. I keep accumulating them but don't really buy anything."

"You don't need to do that - they're your credits. I'll earn some soon enough, besides, I don't really have anywhere to wear all these," Britney replied. Truthfully she really did want the outfits, but she'd feel bad for just taking Caleb's.

"Really, I want you to. If it'll make you feel better, we can strike a deal," he said, raising an eyebrow at her with a grin playing at his lips.

She looked at him skeptically, "What kind of deal?"

"You have dinner with me and wear them - that would be...Eight dinners," he said. Honestly he didn't mind just buying them for her, but she didn't seem comfortable with it - that was the last thing he wanted.

Britney considered the offer. They were friends, so what was a few dinners that they'd likely have anyway? He'd already agreed to come shopping with her in the first place, so she owed him for that... The least she could do would be to have dinner with him. "Deal," she grinned and offered her hand.

Caleb returned the smile and shook her hand; it felt small in his, "Good. Why don't you change, then hand me the outfits? I'll get them and have them delivered back to the Malinche for you."

She nodded, letting her hand linger a few extra seconds before turning to head back into the dressing room. "Can I least get us lunch?" Britney turned back to look at him.

"You don't have to ask me twice, I'm hungry."

OFF:

Warrant Officer 2nd Class Caleb Corrin (NPC)
Warp Systems Specialist
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

and

Crewman Britney Liras (PNPC)
Captain's Yeoman
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

played by:
Last edited by Kersare on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:49 pm

<<Starbase 386-B, Corridor outside Locke's Office, 1557, Day 1>>

After seeing to things on the Malinche and making sure repairs were underway, Isabel had located James. Considering the circumstances, she was sure Jason would want to be briefed on the mission as soon as possible. Actually, since she'd scheduled the appointment a couple hours ago, the other Admirals on board the station could be there as well, for all she knew. Isabel was hoping that for the time being it would just be the three of them. She'd find out soon enough.

Lange walked out of the lift just behind Kersare and waited for her to take the steps up to the Operations Center's upper balcony, where the door to Locke's Office was located. He then walked up the steps himself.

As they approached Jason's office, Isabel turned to James, "Ready?"

"As ready as I'm ever going to be, considering the circumstances," Lange replied somberly.

Nodding, she pushed the doorchime and waited for a response. Technically, he could see through the transparent aluminum panels in the door, but she'd never met him and felt it best to be polite.

The life of a Starfleet Admiral seemed to be nothing but paperwork. Jason found himself wishing that a fleet of Romulan Warbirds would show up to cause mayhem, or that they'd get a visit from a Q entity, anything to break the monotonous torture of paperwork. And then someone answered his prayers, his doorchime rung out like sweet music to his ears. He looked up to find two Starfleet Officers at the door to his office. They both wore command red and four pips on their collar. He'd been looking forward to meeting these two individuals. What they brought back aboard the USS Sirion would give R&D's top scientists a lot of answers to the questions plaguing Starfleet, questions about the Borg.

He damn near slammed his hand down on the door control on the computer interface built into his desk before standing to greet them.

Taking a few steps inside, Isabel paused to allow James to enter as well while giving a nod and slight smile of greeting to Jason.

Lange entered the office without a word. He looked around quickly and noted that, like the rest of the station, this room still looked entirely Cardassian, other than the Admiral's personal effects.

"Welcome to Starbase 386," the Admiral smiled, something else he had gotten used to saying to visitors over the last few days. "Captain Kersare," he said as he offered her his hand to shake.

"Thank you Admiral," Isabel replied, shaking his hand. "We're certainly glad to be here."

"Captain Lange," Jason smiled again as he offered Lange his hand. Although with Lange, Locke was like a duck in a pond, everything was calm on the surface, but underneath it was mayhem. His mind reeled about what this man just went through and what had to be done about it, but he hoped the two of them didn't realize what he was feeling.

Lange took the extended hand and shook it. He said simply, "Admiral."

"Could I offer you some lemonade?" he said, gesturing toward the pitcher of old-style lemonade and the empty glasses that surrounded it. Some Captain's preferred Tea, some preferred coffee, but ever since he got his first command Locke had made sure that his family's lemonade recipe was programmed into the replicator. Although it was never quite the same, it still reminded him of his family and of the home he grew up in.

Lange smiled. It was a small, barely mirthful smile, but a smile. "Yes, sir. Thank you."

Isabel nodded, "Yes, please. Looks delicious, sir."

"I trust your casualties are light," Locke began as he set to pouring three glasses of his favorite beverage. Although he had only faced the Borg in simulated missions and during ship to ship battles, Locke understood how dangerous the Borg are. "From the initial casualty reports I received, your people had luck on their side, all things considered.

"Comparatively, the Malinche's casualties were light, though we did lose some good people," Isabel replied. She was a little surprised that Jason apparently didn't realize how many people James had lost from the Sentinel. Practically the entire Engineering Department would need replaced, along with a good chunk of the Security/Tactical Department, for starters.

Lange took a deep breath before replying. "With all due respect, Admiral, I don't consider half my crew 'light' casualties, no matter the opponent we were facing."

"Well my medical staff and facilities are available to you. If your people require counseling it can be arranged," Jason said as he handed his colleagues their glasses. Truth be told, he did consider those lives to be a small price to pay. Following the Battle of Wolf 359, Jason read every single name on the casualty list as a mark of respect, and again after the battle of Typhon. He'd lost a lot of friends and acquaintances during those attacks. And if the Sirion had answers to some burning questions about the Borg, those that didn't make it back may have saved millions, if not billions of lives. He couldn't blame Lange for feeling as he did, but being a Starfleet Officer had its risks.

Isabel nodded, "Much appreciated sir." Luckily most of the crew had been treated en route, but many were still shaken, at the least.

"I'll make sure that my crew know," Lange said. The surviving Sentinel crew were mostly in good health physically... except for Lieutenant Daggerd.

"To the Sentinel..." the Admiral said, toasting the fallen Intrepid Class vessel. "I was sorry to hear of your loss Captain Lange, losing a ship isn't easy, I know all too well."

"That's two on my record so far. I'm not really sure if they'll give me another one." Lange shrugged as he took a drink of his lemonade. "The ship isn't as important as the crew, though."

Jason looked at Kersare briefly before turning back to Lange, "Until further notice, your crew are to remain on the station. I'm not sure what's going to happen to you... but I'm going to try to ensure that you're not fed to the dogs."

"I appreciate that, sir. Although if they do feed me to the dogs, I'm sure the Merchant Marine would love to get me back. I'm really worried about my crew most of all right now." Lange shrugged. He'd been through this process before and been lucky enough to get most of his crew assigned to his next ship with him. It hadn't hurt that they had, at that time, given him the same class of ship as a replacement.

"I know Captain, and that's why I'll do everything in my power to see that they get the assistance they'll need in finding new assignments. In fact, I have scheduled a meeting with members of the 8th Fleet's command staff and you and your crew are top of our agenda. Rest assured, I have your best interests at heart."

"Thank you, Admiral. I look forward to hearing the outcome," Lange said.

"As for the Malinche, we can't keep one of our Prometheus class vessels out of action for too long," the Admiral continued, turning to face Kersare. "I have several Engineering crews standing by to carry out repairs and upgrades to her systems. I need you back out there as soon as possible, and they're going to make that happen."

Isabel nodded, "I appreciate that sir. I was hoping to allow my crew about a week of Shoreleave - it was a rough mission and I think they could really use a bit of a break." Not to mention that she needed a break; a break and time to deal with Derek's reappearance.

"It's not that I want to get rid of you and your crew Captain. As I said earlier, you and your crew are free to use the facilities available. But this area of space isn't exactly a safe haven for any vessel flying under the Federation banner, what with Elyshan factions being bolder with each passing day. I've petitioned Starfleet to increase security in this region and they sent me a broken down Defiant and a Nova... I need as many ships as I can get, out there," Jason explained before taking a large gulp of his lemonade.

Her mind drifted a moment, but she quickly brought it back to focus and looked at Jason, "Do you know what our next mission will be, sir?"

"Another item on today's agenda," Locke replied with a smile. "I'm waiting on some reports from Commodore Mercer. Once I've received them and added them to a mission dossier, I'll fill you in on all you need to know."

Isabel nodded, "I appreciate it, sir." Hopefully it would have nothing to do with Borg. Honestly she'd love a nice, easy mission for once, but those rarely came for Prometheus class vessels. Even when they did seem fairly simple, things never seemed to go right.

=/\= "Ops to Admiral Locke," =/\= a woman's voice said over the intercom.

"Excuse me a moment," Jason said politely before tapping his combadge. =/\= "Locke here, go ahead." =/\=

=/\= "Sir, I have Captain Garcia on your private channel. She says she wishes to report on Project Shining Armor," =/\= the woman explained.

=/\= "Route it through to my office and put her on hold for a moment, Locke out," =/\= the Admiral replied, briefly looking at his desktop monitor before returning his attention to his guests.

"I'm sorry I have to cut this meeting short," the Admiral explained as he stood. "Rest assured I will be calling on you both again in the near future."

Lange stood and nodded. "Understandable Admiral, I look forward to hearing from you."

"No apology necessary sir, thank you for meeting with us," Isabel said. She also stood.

"A pleasure to meet you both," Jason smiled as he shook them both by the hand once again."Please enjoy your stay at Starbase 386. If you need anything, feel free to contact me at any time."

Isabel shook Jason's hand, "A pleasure to meet you too, sir. I think we're pretty well set for the time being, but I'll be sure to let you know if we need anything."

Lange nodded and returned the handshake before heading towards the door. "I may take you up on that offer."

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Rear Admiral Jason Locke
Commanding Officer & TFCO
Starbase 386-B

and

Captain James Lange
Commanding Officer
USS ???? (will be Peacekeeper)

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:36 pm

<<USS Malinche, Kersare's Quarters, 2018, Day 3>>

After seeing and speaking with Derek, Isabel had gone to Engineering to request they devise a means for him to regenerate. It was even a bit of a comfort for her to be back in Engineering - a place she rarely visited to her disappointment. Perhaps she should make more of an effort. Isabel had also asked the young Engineer she'd spoken to to let Todd know that she would be willing to help if he needed her assistance.

She'd reluctantly left Engineering, partially wishing for something to do to occupy her mind. Reports weren't very good for taking her mind off of things, but working with her hands and having to really use her brain did.

Finally, she'd returned to her quarters. Isabel knew Oliver would probably scold her for not eating, but she just wasn't hungry. Seeing her husband wasn't exactly a comforting experience.

Her emotions were simply a mess right now. The day she found out Derek was dead was one of the most difficult for her; finding out he was still alive but had been assimilated was even more devastating, in a way. Isabel was glad he was alive, but he wasn't the man she remembered.

She collapsed facedown on her bed and lay still as tears started to fall from her eyes, soaking the section of her bedspread. Eventually she stopped and moved her head to look at her nightstand. Her eyes were glued to the picture of herself and Derek - it was taken during one of the Cheyenne's shoreleaves. He had his arms around her and they were smiling at each other - not a care in the world.

As she stared at the picture, she wondered if seeing pictures or Holodeck re-creations of where they'd been would help him remember more of their life together. Perhaps she should stop and see Nora - the Counselor would lkely have a better idea if it would help.

Unfortunately Isabel didn't find it encouraging that he didn't remember who she was or what his real name was. But, he had just been de-assimilated - maybe it took a little time for the memories to come back.

In any event, she didn't have the energy to do anything else that night. Isabel rolled over and got up, heading for her closet. Opening the door, she selected a soft green set of pajamas and changed into them.

Isabel slipped into the covers and looked over at the picture again. She reached out with her fingertip and traced it along Derek's face sadly. "Computer, lights off."

OFF: Tag Engineering
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:20 pm

ON: <<Ready Room, USS Malinche, MD04, 0800>>

Will wanted to make sure he was at his best when he made the report to the captain. Brushing the wrinkles out of his uniform, he tugged at the sleeves before pinning his commbadge on. Picking up the PADD from his desk, he deactivated the holomirror and headed out into the corridor.

Arriving on the bridge, he saw Summers (NPC) covering the shift at Ops. Allowing only for a small wave, he crossed over to the ready room door and rang the chime.

Isabel looked up from the repair reports, wondering who had come to see her. "Enter."

Will noticed the captain already pouring over reports and almost felt a sense of guilt at adding another one to the pile. "Sorry to disturb you, ma'am," Will said, crossing the threshold, but pausing just inside the door, "I've got the final report on the cargo replenishments and such that you asked for." He indicated the PADD in his hand, but did not move from his position at the door.

Part of her had hoped it would be Nora; she was still plagued by thoughts of Derek. Still, Isabel managed a smile, "It's perfectly fine, Lieutenant. Please, come in and have a seat."

Nervously, Will moved forward stiffly and took a seat across from her. He set the PADD on the desk in front of him, then folded his hands.

Isabel watched Will as he took a seat - he seemed a bit on edge. Nodding to him, she picked up the PADD and scrolled through it briefly, "Thank you Mr. Schulz, I appreciate you getting this to me; I wasn't expecting it for another day at least. Have you taken advantage of shoreleave?"

"I did," Will answered, "Got a chance to try out my new wilderness program on the station's holosuites, ma'am."

"Wilderness program?" She wondered what exactly that entailed.

"Have you ever been to the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota, ma'am," Will asked, remembering the peaceful tranquility it had given him only a few days before, "Canoeing, wildlife, amazing scenery...to say the least."

Isabel shook her head, "I can't say I have. Sounds very relaxing though. Did you go there often growing up?"

"Only once, ma'am," Will answered, "and then again, right after I graduated. I've seen some programs that can't seem to get it right, but this one makes me feel as if I'm actually there."

"I take it you recommend the holosuites then," she smiled.

"They're good enough, when you can't get to the place yourself," Will replied, conscious of the impression he was making as he did so. He was worried that, because he still hadn't heard regarding his official assignment, that he was likely going to be stepping off very soon. It wasn't something he was looking forward to.

Isabel was getting the impression her attempt at small talk wasn't calming Will down. Perhaps it would be best to get down to the point - if he hadn't come on his own, she had been planning to ask him to meet with her by the end of the day. "I know you've not been on the Malinche very long, Mr.Schulz, but how have you been getting along here?"

"Not bad," Will answered, "You have quite a department here, captain. It's more than I was able to work with on some of my previous assignments."

"Thank you Lieutenant. Have you enjoyed working on the Malinche?" She did her best to give a more relaxed impression, leaning back a little in her chair, but still watched him to see his reaction.

Inside, Will was confused. He was certain that at any moment, she would break the news that she had no place for him or that Starfleet had denied his transfer. None of this showed, though, as he answered, "It's certainly been an experience, ma'am. It's nice to be out and about."

He wasn't making this easy on her. Perhaps, over time, she'd be able to read him a little better, but right now she was mostly at a loss. Maybe it was the surge of emotions she'd been feeling since finding Derek... She nodded, "I apologize for not getting around to it sooner; I had to unbury it... But I did see your transfer request, Mr. Schulz. I'd be glad to have you aboard."

Letting out a breath he didn't even realize he'd been holding, Will smiled with relief. "Thank you, ma'am," he said, "You don't know how much I appreciate this."

Isabel smiled, "It's my pleasure. We certainly need a Chief Operations Officer and you've been doing an excellent job thus far."

"You'll continue to get my best, captain," Will said, "I can guarantee that." Now that his future was more certain, he had been able to relax. This meant he could actually start unpack his belongings.

"I'm sure I will. Is there anything you need?" From what she was seeing, Isabel guessed that perhaps waiting for an answer on the transfer was what had Will nervous. He certainly seemed to be breathing easier now.

"Not at the moment," Will answered, "but if I think of anything, I'll be sure to file it through the proper channels."

"Good," she replied. "Be sure to enjoy the rest of Shoreleave. From what Rear Admiral Locke tells me, I have a feeling we'll be getting our next mission soon. I'm not sure how much longer we'll be here."

"I will," Will said, getting to his feet, "Thank you, captain." Turning away from the desk, he made it halfway to the door before pausing and turning back. "Captain," he said hesitantly, "If you wanted, I wouldn't mind lending you my wilderness program. I hope I'm not being too forward..."

Isabel smiled, "You're welcome." Starting to turn back to the repair reports, she turned her eyes back to Will as he addressed her, "No, no, Lieutenant. I appreciate the offer. I could actually use something relaxing right about now; from what you've told me, I think your program would be wonderful. I'd greatly appreciate it if you would allow me to borrow it."

Will flipped the isolinear chip in his hand before stepping back to set it on the edge of her desk. "I think you'll find it relaxing, ma'am," Will said, heading for the door again.

"Thank you Mr. Schulz. Have a good day and welcome aboard," she smiled. He'd do well on the Malinche, she could tell.

Will left the ready room with renewed confidence. He may not be dropping by in time for Jake's (NPC) departure, but he was glad for a posting aboard a stable position.

OFF

A JP by

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche

and
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
Chief Security/Tactical Officer & 2XO
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:22 pm

<<Starbase 386-B, Locke?s Office, 0905, Day 5>>

Rear Admiral Locke waited patiently, looking out of his office's large observation porthole. He had called Captain Kersare to his office several minutes previously to discuss the Malinche's latest assignment, which he had just received from Starfleet Command.

He turned to face the door to his office and found that she hadn't arrived as yet. He looked to the jug of lemonade and proceeded to pour two glasses before taking a seat.

As soon as she'd heard that Jason wanted to see her, Isabel had hurried off the Malinche and to the Starbase. Unfortunately it was never a quick trip and it always seemed that the turbolifts ran slower when you really wanted to get somewhere. As the doors finally opened to the Operations Center, she hurried to his office.

He watched as she reached the door and hit the control to open it with a smile. "Captain Kersare... thank you for coming. Please have a seat." Locke pointed to the seat opposite his own.

Isabel slipped through the door and returned the smile. "Good to see you again, sir. Sorry if I kept you waiting." Moving to the indicated seat, she sat down, clasping her hands in her lap.

"Not at all," Jason smiled, plucking his glass of lemonade from his desk. "I didn't drag you away from anything important did I?"

"Nothing that couldn't wait; I was reviewing the repair reports," she replied. Truth be told, she was glad for the interruption. It was difficult to concentrate on repair reports, but much easier to concentrate on an Admiral who wanted to speak to her.

"I trust the repairs are going well?" Jason asked, hoping that Starbase repair crews managed to help get the Malinche back up to peak efficiency.

Isabel nodded, "Yes, just a few more to complete and we'll be good as new."

"Good," Locke smiled. "And your crew, are they rested?"

"Some are still having a difficult time with the events of our last mission," Isabel admitted, "But they have been taking advantage of your base and their spirits seem to be lifting. Thank you for asking."

"Good, I'm glad," Locke replied. "I hope you don't think of me as unfeeling. I know you and your crew suffered, as did Captain Lange and his crew. There are families that have to be informed... not to mention the families of those aboard the Sirion..."

She sighed, "Yes, unfortunately there are. I know you're trying to look out for us and I appreciate it. At the same time, I also know that we're in StarFleet and don't really have the luxury of simply lounging around on your base for months." Isabel gave him a small grin.

"Command are right, you are good at reading people," Locke smiled. "And yes, unfortunately you don't have that luxury. I have an assignment for you."

Not really surprised, Isabel nodded, "I had a feeling that was the case. Hopefully no Borg this time."

"No, no Borg this time. Given the circumstances, I've arranged for you and your crew to have a few more days to relax a little before I throw you back into the shark pond," Locke explained as he slid a PADD across his desk. "How would you like a trip to Ivor Prime?"

"Ivor Prime?" Isabel raised an eyebrow as she picked up the PADD. "I've not been there before... Is there a problem with the colony?"

"Not a problem at the moment, but a potential risk unless you can get out there," Locke replied. "My Chief Medical Officer has large quantities of medical supplies waiting in Cargo Bay 7. They're to be taken to Ivor Prime as soon as possible. It seems the shipment the colony had scheduled to arrive a week ago was held up at Betazed."

"Permission to speak freely sir?" Isabel requested.

"Granted," Locke replied with a raised eyebrow.

Isabel hesitated a moment, then said, "I hate to question orders, sir, but why is a Prometheus class vessel being sent to deliver medical supplies to a colony?"

Locke smiled, "As I said, I'm giving you an extended break before throwing you back into the shark pond. Once you've delivered the supplies, I need you to do some muscle flexing for us along the border to the Romulan Neutral Zone."

Feeling a little embarrassed, she replied, "My apologies, sir. I appreciate it and I'm sure the crew will as well. What's going on along the border?"

"Well the details are included on the PADD," Jason said as he looked to the mission notes displayed on his desktop viewer. "But Outpost 37's sensor network reported an abnormal increase in neutrino emissions. It's probable that the Romulans are flexing their own muscles to test if we're still awake. But I'd rather have a few ships out there that bites back when they're bitten. Just in case."

Isabel nodded and she scanned through some of the details on the PADD, "We'll see what we can find, sir. Is there anything else I should know?" It would be an interesting assignment - she'd never dealt with the Romulans as a Commanding Officer.

"Just that you should be careful," Locke replied, smiling. "Our relationship with the Romulans remains... shakey, at best. I recomend that you coordinate your patrols with Outpost 37, the USS Mandalay, the USS Triumpth and the USS Romeo. The Captain of the Romeo knows the area well and has dealt with the Romulan patrols more than anyone these last few years."

"I'll be sure to get in touch with them once we're in the area," Isabel said. It was good to know there would be other ships in the area that could get her up to speed.

"Good," the Admiral smiled. "I'll have the supplies moved to one of your cargo bays. Once your repairs are complete, you're free to leave."

"Thank you sir," she replied. "I'll notify our Quartermaster and ask him to work with those on your base."

"Good," the Admiral smiled. "How soon do you think you'll be underway?"

Pausing for a moment, Isabel considered the remaining repairs still needed for her ship and the time to get the supplies into a Cargo Bay and sorted, "Within the next two or three days at most. Is that soon enough?"

"It should be," Locke replied, adding a note to the info on his viewer. It'll give me the opportunity to have a look around that ship of yours. That's if you don't mind me being under foot for an hour or so?"

"Of course not, feel free to stop by when you have the chance," she smiled.

"Thank you, I'll be sure to do that," Locke replied before deactivating his viewer. "I won't keep you any longer, I'm sure you'll want to brief your people and make use of the promenade while you can."

"Yes sir, thank you," Isabel smiled and stood. "I'll be sure my crew makes good use of their remaining shoreleave time."

"And you make sure you get some too. That's an order," the Admiral said in all seriousness before hitting the door control once again.

Nodding, she replied, "I will sir. Have a good day."

"You too," Admiral Locke replied softly as he watched her leave. 'I hope that's not the last I see of her for a while,' he thought before returning to looking out toward the never ending darkness that was the universe.

Rear Admiral Jason Locke
Commanding Officer & TFCO
Starbase 386-B
(guest star)

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Steele
Senior Staff

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:29 pm

On:
Day 1
16:00 hrs

Having been told a new member of the science division was on the station, Aaron decided to go pay them an informal visit. After all it was shore leave and he believed in leaving rank at the door during such an occasion unless otherwise warranted. After a few wrong turns he found the restaurant where he was told he could find the new officer. Seeing a young Trill in science blue, sitting at a corner table, Aaron sat down across the table from her.
?Aaron Steele, Assistant chief science officer, Malinche?

?Ensign Reyna Ward, but I guess you already knew that.?

Aaron nodded.
?I did but don?t worry, this isn?t a formal visit.?

Reyna visibly relaxed at Aaron?s statement.
?I must admit I?m nervous about this new posting. I was just starting to get comfortable on the Osprey before it was decommissioned and the crew sent to various postings through Starfleet. Scuttlebutt says you returned from a combat mission??

Aaron was reminded of a quote he had heard in Academy. ?Nothing travels faster than light, with the possible exception of bad news, which follows its own rules? He wouldn?t have been surprised if news of their mission had reached the station before the Malinche even docked.

?It is true, we had a run in with the Borg and suffered moderate casualties. If I know Starfleet they won?t assign us to a possible combat mission anytime soon. What?s your specialty, I?m sure it?s in your file but I haven?t read it??

Absentmindedly brushing away a loose strand of hair, Reyna answered the question.
?Typically I?m what is called an A&A officer although like a lot of us I like to throw Xenobiology into the mix as well. Before you ask, yes I was joined, about three months ago.?

Aaron laughed.
You sure you?re not a Betazoid in disguise? Anyway welcome aboard the Malinche, enjoy the rest of your shore leave, I?ll see you onboard.?

Off:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Archaeo ... gy_officer

JP

Ensign Reyna Ward (NPC)
A&A Officer

&
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Lovestreet
Senior Staff

Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:37 pm

ON:

<<USS Malinche, Sickbay, 1815, Day 3>>

Oliver had gone through every manual, every data padd, every recollection from anywhere he could find on the process of de-borgifying a living breathing person. It had been a difficult process, one that Oliver did not want to have to repeat; ever.

He watched from his office as the Captain walked into Sickbay. He knew it was time for Kersare to visit the man, the borg, the former life partner; a human she'd shared her life with and now was part machine. He couldn't bare to bring himself out of the office. Isabel was the sort of woman who was a great deal private, or so she seemed.

Oliver was glad to see the lovely Chief Counselor with the Captain. He'd quickly grown a fond attachment to Nora, though he was sure she thought him a fool. But then, when did any woman think more of him than a professional or a fool. He walked slowly back to his desk, stacks of data flooding his mind. He would have to write a paper for Starfleet Medical on his operation on Derek.

That would take some time. So much for Shore Leave. There would be time for that later. Oliver sat down, trying to concentrate, thinking instead about the gorgeous Nora Zeral. Oliver broke into a quiet song.

"What's she really like, the one that I'm thinking of...what's she really like the woman that I'm dreaming of; let me tell you she's wonderful, she's marvelous....and I wish she was mine..." His words trailed off and he fumbled with his hands. Running his right hand through his hair, Oliver pushed data padds away with his left.

"I've got to do something to get that woman out of my mind." He looked around the office, noting his doctorate hanging on the wall, a few awards and reminders of his childhood on another wall.

"Well, no time like the present." Oliver stretched out his hands and started working away on the paper for Starfleet Medical.

<<span of three hours elapses>>>

"Damn!" I am SO tired of those idiots at Starfleet Medical. They get their Doctorate and off they go to save the galaxy. Well it doesn't work that way. I'll bet most of those poppycocks are still wet behind the ears!"

Oliver had enough of sitting and working on the paper. He'd gotten no further than the pre-operational diagnosis. He stood, flung his chair against the back wall and stormed out of his office. Glaring at anyone who stood in his way, Oliver left Sickbay and out into the corridor.

"Doctor, what's the matter?" asked McKnight. Just where she had come from Oliver didn't have a clue. What was clear was the fact she was keeping an eye on him.

"I am flipping hot over a ridiculous message from Starfleet Medical at HQ." (In a flippant manner) "Dear Doctor Lovestreet, we are awaiting with great interest your report and paper on the deborgification of the former Starfleet Officer simply referred to by you as Derek. Your ship has been docked for Shore Leave for three days and your report is not at hand. We would appreciate your most earnest efforts in getting the report concluded and forwarded to our office for review and approval before being sent on to the Surgeon General, Starfleet. We await your response with great admiration and appreciation. Sincerely, ENSIGN Lia Kimona."

They were by now walking down the corridor, no particular destination. "What's wrong with that Doctor O?"

"What's wrong with that", Oliver stopped in his tracks and turned to look directly into McKnight's eyes,"what's wrong with that?" He turned away and started walking back down the corridor.

"That sniveling little worm of an Ensign is probably just out of Doctor DIAPERS!"

"But Dr. O, you told me yourself that you have no use for those 'bookworm' medics at Starfleet Medical." McKnight had to walk faster to keep up with Oliver and she almost walked into a crewman cleaning the deck carpeting.

"I need to get off this blasted ship and get a nice hot chocolate." When McKnight didn't respond, Oliver stopped and turned around, looking at McKnight who was stopped about six feet behind him. He motioned with his arms. "Aren't you coming?"

OFF
Dr. Oliver Lovestreet
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Zeral
Senior Staff

Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:36 pm

<<SB 386-B Promenade, 2050, Day 6>>

Shoreleave drawing to a close, Nora met with Talia (NPC) one last time in the Promenade, and in no time at all they found themselves at what had become Talia?s favorite bar, reminiscing again on their days at the Academy and speculating about their futures in Starfleet.

?So, heard from that fianc? of yours?? Nora nearly choked on her drink, slamming her glass down on the table harder than she intended to. Her friend?s question had thrown her completely off balance, which, judging by the look on the redhead?s face, had been exactly the point.

Glancing askance at Talia, she composed herself as best as she could, clearing her throat loudly before she spoke. ?He isn?t exactly my fianc?, and no, I haven?t, but thank you very much for bringing up such a pleasant topic of conversation.? Her words were meant to sound a little scathing, but her smile gave away her reluctant humor at the question. It had been over a year since Nora had allowed herself to even think about genetic bonding. Leave it to Talia to bring it up at such an odd time.

?Cold feet?? It was clear that Talia was a little tipsy, and Nora could only shake her head bemusedly at her slurring words.

?I?ve never met the man. Cold feet is an understatement.? The fact of the matter was that she was still undecided whether or not she?d go through with it. Her parents had always intended for her to, but with their passing the ultimate choice had been handed back to her. It was in their honor alone that she even considered following it through, but her hopes rested on a more traditional marriage. Namely, one where she met and fell in love with a man before she married him.

?I?m a romantic, Talia,? Nora admitted, gesturing widely with her arms. ?I can?t help but hope that I?ll be swept off my feet one of these days.? She ignored her friend?s disbelieving snort, continuing, ?He hasn?t contacted me, and I haven?t contacted him, so I?ve decided not to worry about it. Yet.?

?Yet,? Talia echoed, raising her eyebrows and taking a generous gulp from her strangely colored drink. ?Is that even the way it?s done? The groom just contacts the bride and says, 'Hey, how about tomorrow'? I thought there was more to it than that.?

?Well, there is, generally. But in our case, things are?different. Both of our parents have passed away, we each have our own careers, our own paths to follow??

Talia blinked slowly, setting down her drink and tilting her head as she looked to Nora. ?You know an awful lot about a man you?ve never met.?

?A man I may never meet at all,? Nora almost happily corrected. ?You?re just dying to know more, aren?t you?? She laughed when Talia nodded enthusiastically, and decided to fill her old friend in on the little details she?d never released while they were at the Academy. ?His name is Gell--?

?Gell?!? Talia burst out.

?Gell is a wonderful name!? Nora argued without really knowing why. ?As I was saying, his name is Gell, and he?s a doctor. A very good one, actually. He?s well known on Betazed. Soren knows him rather well.?

?So your brother has met him, but you never have.?

?I?ve never really wanted to,? Nora shrugged.

?Skip to the important part, Nor. What does he look like? You must have seen a picture or something.?

?I have, and he?s tall, dark and handsome,? she conceded, tossing her long hair over her shoulder as she shrugged again. ?Not that it matters.?

?It matters,? Talia laughed. ?It matters.? They lapsed into a strange moment of silence, Nora?s thoughts carrying her far away while Talia studied the Betazoid?s face intently. ?Just tell me one thing, Nora. If you do get married, either to Dr. Handsome or to anybody else, you will let me know, right??

?Oh, Tal,? Nora sighed, shocked by the tears that suddenly filled her eyes. ?Tal, of course I will! You?ll be my maid of honor!? Leaning over to hug her friend, Nora saw through her tears that Talia was suddenly crying too. ?It?s been so wonderful seeing you, getting your wonderful advice, catching up on everything. I?m going to miss you, Talia.?

A little embarrassed, Talia pushed away abruptly, turning back to her drink while brushing the tears from her face. ?Well, I?ll miss you too, Nora,? she said as nonchalantly as possible, grinning lopsidedly. ?There?s just one thing, though.? Nora nodded, waiting expectantly. ?Maid of honor or not, I am not undressing for your wedding ceremony.?

Nora threw back her head and laughed.

OFF

Lieutenant Talia Hooper (NPC)

and
Last edited by Zeral on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:00 pm

<<Starbase 386, Promenade, 1115, Day 4>>

After meeting with Will and going through the rest of the PADDs, Isabel found she had one more thing to do before she could take any time for herself. The computer told her that Aaron was no longer aboard the Malinche, so she decided to start looking for him on the Promenade.

?How long have you been playing the fiddle?? Aaron had finished an impromptu concert and was talking with one of the other musicians.

?I started while in the Academy but never did much with until after the war. While stationed at Atlantis there was a place set aside for music which was where I learned the more challenging aspects. You??

The Petty Officer placed his bow in the case. ?I?ve been playing for many years now; it?s a dying art nowadays I believe.?

Before Aaron could respond he noticed Isabel heading his direction. ?Captain, nice to see you, enjoying your shoreleave I trust??

"Good morning Mr. Steele. I've not had much of a chance to do so yet, but am hoping to get the chance later today. I was hoping to find you actually," she replied.

The petty officer excused himself, leaving Aaron alone with his CO. It had been his experience that when a superior officer was looking for you during shoreleave it usually wasn?t of a personal nature.

?Hazards of command I guess. What can I do for you??

Isabel motioned to nearby chairs, "Let's have a seat." Allowing Aaron to choose one first, she then sat down and said, "How are things going in the Science Department?"

?Things are going as well as can be expected I guess. Few of us had direct contact with the Borg which I think makes it a little easier to cope with what happened. On a personal note, it will be interesting to compare the information we collected on the Borg with what little was collected on the Bix.? Aaron then remembered his conversation with Reyna. ?I met the new A&A officer, she doesn?t have a lot of experience but we all have to start somewhere.?

Pausing, Isabel thought back to the PADDs she'd just finished reading, "Yes, I do remember seeing the transfer orders for her. I'm sure she'll do well. What do you think about the others in the department?"

?I must admit, for a Prometheus class ship, the Malinche has a bigger science division than I expected. This is the first time I?ve worked directly under a Vulcan which has been interesting.? Aaron pushed his violin case under the table as he spoke. ?A lot of younger members in the division but they all seem to know their specialties, which is just as important as experience.?

Hearing him speak made her all the more confident in her decision. He was certainly able to assess those in his department and also had a good attitude about working with them. "I agree, Mr. Steele. I'm glad that your experiences with us have been..well, I'd say good, but dealing with the Borg is never that. Unfortunately it seems that StarFleet doesn't have anyone to transfer over as Chief Science Officer right now and we're due to leave for our next mission in three days."

Aaron allowed himself to relax and smile. "To paraphrase an old saying, any mission you can walk away from is a good mission."

"Absolutely," she said, returning the smile. "Hopefully we?ll walk away from many more as well.? Isabel wondered how best to bring up the main reason for her finding him, but after a few moments of silence, she finally said, ?Mr. Steele, I was wondering if you would be willing to take over as Acting Chief Science Officer for this mission.?

Aaron knew that is was a precursor to being made officially in charge of the science department and was more than willing to accept the provisional assignment. ?Looks like you just gained yourself a new department head.?

Isabel nodded and grinned at Aaron, ?Glad to hear it, Lieutenant. Consider it effective immediately; is there anything you need from me??

"No ma'am but if you're interested we're putting on another concert at 16:00 hrs. Room 225." Aaron replied

?I?d love to attend, thank you for the invitation,? she said. ?I don?t want to keep you from your shoreleave; good luck Mr. Steele, I?m sure you?ll do well.?

Lieutenant JG Aaron Steele
Acting Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Lovestreet
Senior Staff

Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:28 pm

<<Starbase 386, Promenade, 0730, Day 5>>

Dr. O had finally finished his paper and his report for Starfleet Medical, sent it in triplicate and dictated some patient notes on various crewmen that had been affected by some sort of 'shore leave' virus. It was always the same; every shore leave somebody came into his office with a little known but highly contagious STD.

High minded species always spouted STD's were a thing of the past. However, O had known a few spawned races around the galaxy that carried some pretty nasty variations. He had even set up a 'private' office just to deal with special cases.

"You know Specialist, back in my day we knew how to prevent this kind of thing from happening." said Dr. O.

The young Engineering Specialist 2nd class was staring at the ceiling, eyes fixed in a gaze. "Ah, yeah...thank you sir. Ah...yeah." was all he could say.

Oliver patted the young man on his shoulder, nudging him to sit up. He turned away to a small instrumentation panel next to the bio bed. He walked to the medical replicator and ordered the prescription and walked back to the young man, smiling.

"Take this twice a day for twelve days. At the end of twelve days throw the bottle in the recycling bin." Oliver handed the young man the bottle and left the bio bed.

"Doctor?" asked the young crewman. He was half raised up by now. A nurse was tending the bio bed and checking his vital signs.

Dr. O turned around to face the young man with a grin. "Yes crewman; what is it?"

"What'll these things do to me? I've never seen something like this before." The crewman held up small circular objects.

"They're called pills. It's medicine, probably something you're not used to; but if you keep up your activities on Shore Leave - you will." Dr. O picked up a small book on the table by the doorway to the room. He hefted it towards the crewman.

Catching the book, Specialist Crane examined it and gave the Doctor a puzzled look.

"It's a book. It's titled '101 ways to enjoy Shore Leave without ever dropping your pants'. Read it. Something else you need to get used to doing."

"Ah, doctor?" said Specialist Crane.

"Yes Mister Crane?" Dr. O leaned against the wall now, waiting for the young man's next question of 1000.

"It's got your name on it. Did you write this stuff?"

"Of course I did. Do you think I'm an idiot? After all the years I spent diagnosing and treating STD's you think I'd take a chance at getting one? Oh and by the way, there is a follow up book..."

"Yeah?"

"It's called Sexual Relations in the 24th Century - The Holodeck way. Pick it up when you've finished this one. Oh..and there's no charge for the first book but I'll have to ask you to submit some form of payment for the next one."

"You mean you get money for this trash?"

"Of course. How else do you think I can stay in such luxurious clothing? Surely not on a Doctor's salary."

"One more question Doc."

"Yes Mister Crane?"

"Just exactly what is this stuff you gave me?"

"It's a fantastic drug called a Placebo. Works wonders for your ah..", Dr. O pointed downwards, "situation. Just follow the directions."

Dr. O turned and walked out, leaving the puzzled Specialist Crane with the book in hand and a nurse just dying to get out of the room to laugh her head off.

OFF
Dr. Oliver Lovestreet
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B