Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Zeral
Senior Staff

Re: Mission 16 - The Waiting Game

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:09 am

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Ready Room, Shoreleave Day 15, 1115>>

Following her discussion with her brother, Nora had had several days to consider his suggestion and was still no closer to coming to a decision. There were likely a few days yet to think over the matter, but she was growing increasingly restless and distracted. At her wit’s end with her own inability to calmly and succinctly assess the situation, Nora came to the realization that what she needed was someone to talk to.

Her thoughts immediately went to Captain Kersare. In addition to being her commanding officer, she had become a friend as well to Nora. Confident that speaking with her would likely help her to sort out her thoughts, the counselor made her way to the Bridge. Approaching the Captain’s Ready Room door, she pressed the doorchime.

With a good bit on her mind, Isabel had just finished a short walk around her Ready Room. She could have afforded to take a longer walk, but for now, the lap around the room would suffice. As she heard the doorchime, Isabel replied, "Come in."

Nora stepped inside, her hands clasped loosely in front of her. “Good morning, Captain. I hope I’m not interrupting anything. I was actually hoping you might have a free moment. I…well, I have a personal matter that I wanted to discuss with you. The counselor needs counseling, you might say,” she smiled.

Isabel was only mildly surprised to see Nora. The bigger surprise was that the Counselor was coming to her for advice. Although truth be told, the two women had been becoming closer friends, so even that wasn't so surprising when Isabel stopped to think about it. She smiled, "You're not interrupting. Have a seat." Isabel motioned to the couch and moved to take a seat as well.

“Thank you,” Nora said, making herself comfortable. In true Betazoid fashion, she decided to get straight to the point. “Are you familiar with the Betazoid tradition of genetic bonding, Captain?”

Nodding Isabel replied, "Yes, I'm familiar with the tradition." Now she was getting a better insight into why Nora wanted to talk to her. "You can just call me Isabel, though, if you want. No need for formalities when we're not on duty or are by ourselves. Sorry to take us off topic."

“No need to be sorry, Isabel,” Nora said with a slight smile. “Genetic bonding is not practiced as frequently as it once was, but my father felt particularly impressed that he should arrange such a match for me when I was a child. But since my parents have since passed away, I had the opportunity, you might say, to set aside the entire arrangement for a few years. I’ve been quite content almost completely ignoring it, and now…well, now it seems like I can’t ignore it any longer.”

"Well, I suppose it's not something that can be ignored forever," Isabel mused. "What's happened that you can't ignore it anymore? Have the man or his parents contacted you?"

“Part of the reason neither Gell nor I have made a decision concerning our bonding is that his parents have passed away too,” Nora explained. “But Soren, my brother, lives on Betazed, and he happens to know Gell rather well. Soren has suggested that Gell and I finally meet, and is expecting my decision on the matter any day now.”

Taking a deep breath, Nora exhaled slowly as she collected her thoughts. “I feel so torn, Isabel. Out of respect to my father, I have always felt that I should give this bonding a chance. And I have to admit that I am curious—hopeful, even. There are so many cases where genetic bonding results in loving, successful marriages. But I'm also, quite frankly, terrified," she finished with a short laugh.

Isabel nodded slowly; she didn't have to be a Betazoid to pick up on her friend's unease. "That's certainly understandable. You don't know for sure what to expect with Gell or the situation as a whole... Have you ever had the chance to just talk to Gell? And what does Soren think of him?"

“No, I’ve never spoken with Gell,” Nora said, not without some guilt. She had had multiple chances to meet with him and could have contacted him at any time, but she’d never had the motivation or the courage to do so. “Soren thinks that Gell is a good man, and he has told me that he thinks we’d make an excellent match. It’s not that I don’t trust his opinion; it’s just that I...well, I suppose that I always hoped for a more traditional romance.”

"That's certainly understandable," Isabel began as she thought about what advice she could give. "Maybe you need to think about it in a different way... For instance, many couples were actually initially set up by friends. True, it's not the same as an arranged marriage, but they were introduced and ended up as a couple. Perhaps you could think of it more as your brother setting you up with someone he thinks would be good for you, rather than the man that your parents intended for you." She paused, allowing her words to sink in so that Nora could consider them.

Smiling weakly, Nora nodded. “Looking at it that way does make it seem less daunting,” she admitted. It truly did help that Soren apparently thought so highly of Gell. Without his good opinion of the match, Nora wasn’t sure that she would have ever been tempted into truly giving the genetic bonding a chance. “I want to do this. I want to meet Gell in person. I do. There’s a certain sort of excitement about it all that is practically irresistible. It’s part of the reason I haven’t called the whole thing off.”

Nora’s smile faded. “But I’m beginning to realize that one of my greatest fears is that, even if I do give the match a chance, there’s no guarantee that it will work. And if that’s the case, I suppose I’ll feel like I’ve somehow failed my father.” She exhaled softly, rolling her eyes at her own admission. “It’s silly, and I know that wouldn’t be true. But ever since I lost my mother and father, it feels like this entire arrangement has become infinitely more complicated.”

Isabel listened to her friend quietly, then considered her words carefully before saying, "Nora, nothing in life is guaranteed. Meeting with Gell and giving it a chance honors your father. I think you're putting too much pressure on yourself...and that's not going to help you in this situation. I think you need to let go of the expectations and just let whatever is going to happen, happen. If it does work out, great, if it doesn't, you gave it a chance."

Nora was silent for a moment, contemplating what Isabel had said. Truth be told, the Captain's straightforward advice was exactly what she had been craving, and it helped her to gain some new perspective to the situation. “You’re right. I am putting too much pressure on myself. I’m also making this all extremely complicated when it really needn’t be. If I decided never to meet with Gell, I might wonder for the rest of my life if I made the right choice. But if I do meet with him, then even if it doesn’t work out, at least I’ll be giving it a chance, like you said.” With a wry grin, she added, “I knew you were the right person to talk to about this.”

"I do my best," Isabel said with a chuckle. "Besides, I think you already knew it, deep down. You just needed someone else to say it aloud." She was glad that her friend was feeling better about her decision. Although Isabel wasn't a counselor, she was a good listener and, being an engineer, was good at thinking things through logically.

Nora laughed softly, nodding her agreement. It felt as though a weight had been lifted off her shoulders, and although she was still feeling nervous about meeting with Gell, she was beginning to feel a little excited, too. “I do feel much better now that I’ve actually talked to someone about it. I can’t thank you enough, Isabel,” she smiled.

Isabel smiled, "You're quite welcome. It's not anything you wouldn't have done if our roles were reversed anyway. And you've been very helpful with the whole...Derek situation."

“I hope I’ve been helpful,” Nora remarked, returning Isabel’s smile. “How is Derek? I haven’t seen him in some time, I’m afraid.”

"He's doing well, thank you. Since Lieutenant JG Masterson is letting him work with the Security/Tactical Department, that's been filling some of his time," Isabel replied.

“That’s excellent,” Nora said with some enthusiasm. A little unsure how to phrase the question that next popped into her mind, she ventured, “And do you see him very often? Aside from as a captain to a crewmember, I mean,” she clarified.

Pausing, Isabel replied slowly, "We do try to spend some time together. I think he's still getting re-adjusted, and I don't want to push him, so I try to give him some space. Overall though, I feel like we're making some progress."

“Good,” Nora smiled, threading her hands together in her lap. “I think it’s wise to try not to push him.” She admired Isabel for her strength and composure throughout the ordeal with Derek. She couldn’t imagine how difficult it must be to wait and hope that the husband she loved would completely return to her, body and mind. “Isabel, I do hope that this isn’t something that you’re facing completely alone. Have you talked with your family about the situation, or even Derek’s?”

Isabel chuckled slightly, "Funny you should ask that. I finally spoke with them yesterday. I hadn't really wanted to face them before - especially when I knew so little about what was going on... My sister, Gabrielle (NPC), was still somewhat hung up on the idea that he was Borg, though my parents were taking things fairly well. The conversation with Derek's family... His father didn't take it very well; he seemed rather upset that I hadn't contacted them before."

“Oh dear. That must have been very difficult,” Nora said, offering Isabel a grim smile. “I can see why you wanted to wait before speaking with them. Did Derek’s family have any reservations similar to your sister’s?”

"Not really, no. Of course, I only spoke with his parents, not his siblings. I think they were just happy to know that he was alive and wanted to know how he was doing," Isabel replied. "They want to speak to him, but I'm not sure he's ready for that yet..."

Nora hummed in agreement, considering the situation. “I think that if anyone knows what’s best for Derek right now, it's you. This must be a shock for everyone involved, and if they’re somewhat overreacting now, well, I can’t say that I’m really surprised. But I do think that, given time and thought, both your family and Derek’s family will come to terms with Derek’s return.”

Isabel nodded, "The greatest healer is time. Perhaps I should try to give them more regular updates, then maybe they'll be more understanding and calm. And with time, I imagine Derek will be ready to speak to them too." The whole situation with the families was unnerving for her to an extent, but all she could do was keep moving forward.

“Giving them more regular updates would certainly help. And yes, the greatest healer really is time. You know, Isabel, I’m beginning to think that you would have made a fine counselor,” Nora chuckled. “Thank you again for lending me a listening ear. And if there’s anything else I can do to help you and Derek, please let me know.”

"Life experience always helps one give advice," Isabel replied with a smile. "And you're quite welcome. Feel free to stop by any time you want or need to talk. I'll be sure to let you know if we need anything. Perhaps in the next few days we'll stop by for a session."

“That would be wonderful,” Nora assured her. Rising from the couch, she clapped her hands together and smiled at Isabel. “Well then, I suppose I have some plans to make. I might go speak with my brother now, in fact. I’ll see you in a few hours for our meeting with Lieutenant McCarty.” Saying goodbye, Nora headed for the door, grateful to have her confidence restored and finally feeling eager for whatever the future might bring.

OFF:

A JP with:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Rho
Senior Staff

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:19 am

OFF: This is a backpost.

ON:

< Alexis' Office on the Malinche, Day 9, 1043 hours>

Alexis went back to her office in the Intel department. She moved one of the chairs to set in front of her desk. Then she tapped her commbadge and ordered Michael Derrin (NPC) to her office. She sat back down and contemplated how to approach the situation with Ensign Derrin. He was a good officer. He completed his work on time…and even a little early on occasion. She wasn’t sure exactly how to break the news to him. Or how he would take it; he really enjoyed doing what he was doing. At that moment, he stepped through the door.

“You caught me at the right time. I was just around the corner.”

“Good. Have a seat Ensign,” said Alexis.

Michael thought she sounded more stern than normal. He fidgeted a little, trying to keep his thoughts to himself. At least one particular thought of one particular person. He didn’t think that his boss would read his mind. But she was unpredictable.

Alexis noticed that Ensign Derrin was nervous. That was a topic for later, however. “Relax, Ensign. You’re not here to be strung up.”

Michael laughed a little. “Thanks, ma’am.”

Alexis slid a PADD across her desk. As Michael picked it up and scanned it, she said, “It’s your last few reports to me, your Evaluation Performance Reports, and a few things that say you’re an all-around good officer.”

A puzzled look came across Michael’s face. “Ma’am?”

“Some time ago, Captain Kersare asked me to be thinking about someone to fill a position temporarily. That being, Acting Assistant Chief Intelligence Officer.” She hated those dramatic pauses that some officers utilized to make a point or let something sink in, so she continued. “I’ve read your file extensively and watched your work. I think you are that someone, Ensign Derrin. I’ve already spoken to Captain Kersare about it and she concurs.” Alexis leaned forward. “Don’t let me down…Ensign.”

Michael was ecstatic. Not only about the position, but also that Lt. JG Rho hadn’t found out about him and…well…. No one was supposed to know, at least not yet. He straightened up in his seat, “I won’t let you down, ma’am. You’ve got my word and I’ve got your back.”

Alexis grinned, “Very good. Here’s your first order. Make sure everything is ready for departure when that time comes.”

“Aye ma’am. Will do. If there’s nothing else…”

“No. You’re dismissed.”

With that, Acting ACIO, Ensign Michael Derrin left the Intel offices in a fast walk. He couldn’t wait to tell her what had just happened.

Alexis took that piece of paper from Pront out of her pocket. She unfolded it and flattened it out on her desk. The drawing and writing was indeed crude. It looked like it had been done in a hurry. She took the paper out to one of the consoles and scanned the information into the ship’s computer. She then began to run algorithms to see if she could get it any clearer and make any sense out of it. After a few minutes, the Cardassian lettering began to take shape. They were phrases, but parts of the words were missing. It was possibly a description of what was in the containers. Alexis told the computer to extrapolate possible words from the known letter arrangements. In the mean time, she turned to the other screen that was clearing up the symbol that was on every container. As it began to take on a proportionate shape, Alexis gasped. It was hard to catch her off guard, but it did happen. She allowed the computer to go ahead and try to match the symbol to known Cardassian emblems, but she already knew what it was. She knew where the containers had originated…the Tarkal Research Facility!

OFF:

Ensign Michael Derrin
played by: Lieutenant JG Rho

and
Lieutenant JG Alexis Rho
Chief Intelligence Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
"My mind is the only sanctuary that has not been stolen from me. People have tried to breach it before, but I've learned to defend it vigorously, for I am only safe with my innermost thoughts."

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:30 pm

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Ready Room, Day 18, 1500>>

Having just finished her conversation with Nora, Isabel and the counselor were now waiting for Jake and Taryn (PNPC) to arrive. With the refit nearly complete, Isabel knew she would likely be informed of their next mission soon. She was, therefore, anxious to get the situation with her new Assistant Chief Flight Control Officer resolved.

Feeling much calmer now that she’d had a chance to speak with Isabel, Nora turned her thoughts to Jake as they waited for his arrival. Throughout her career as a psychologist, she had rarely seen a case of PTSD quite like Jake’s. She was pleased that Jake finally seemed to be making some headway concerning his frequent hallucinations.

<Turbolift>

Taryn and Jake stood together on the turbolift silent. Neither Taryn or Jake were sure as to the nature of the meeting, but they would soon find out. The pair exited the turbolift stepping onto the bridge. Taryn motioned McCarty to lead the way down to the Captain's ready room. Jake tapped the console by the door.

<Ready Room>

Hearing the doorchime, Isabel replied, "Enter." Once the doors opened, she saw Jake and Taryn enter, "Good afternoon," she said.

Taryn led the pair through the doors stopping at the Captain's desk. She placed herself properly at attention waiting for McCarty to do the same before speaking. When he did not she let out a small cough. McCarty looked at her and placed himself at attention as well. "Lieutenant England and Lieutenant(JG) McCarty reporting as ordered ma'am."

Isabel nodded, "Please, have a seat." Nora had already brought over one of the chairs from the other seating area in the room, so that there would be room for the four of them. For the time being, Nora was seated at the side of Isabel's desk rather than in front of it.

Both Taryn and Jake sat down in front of the Captain. Jake began to wonder as to the nature of this visit. A meeting with both his superiors and the counselor could only end one of two ways. Either they were going to discuss his eventual return, or Nora had come to the conclusion that Jake would not overcome these hallucinations and they were here to discuss his release. Once again Jake kept his nervousness hidden inside himself.

"As both of you are aware, Mr. McCarty has been working with Doctor DeSouza and the Counselor regarding the hallucinations he's been having. With the refit nearly done, I felt it best that we meet before we leave the Starbase," Isabel explained. "I have spoken with Lieutenant Zeral regarding Mr. McCarty's condition." She looked over at Nora, allowing the Counselor a chance to explain her findings.

“I believe that Lieutenant McCarty is making good progress,” Nora pronounced without delay, giving Jake a quick smile. “Rather than brushing aside his condition or trying to keep it hidden, he has been actively pursuing treatment for his hallucinations and, I believe, is finally on the mend, so to speak.”

Jake smiled back relieved to hear the counselor believed he was making good progress. For him, the path to recovery had been full of new experiences and lessons. He was not accustomed to be so open about his ailments but he was thankful for the support he had been given.

"Counselor, what is your general assessment on his condition? Are we looking at something more permanent or will it eventually subside?" Taryn asked.

“I don’t believe it’s permanent at all,” Nora replied. “If Lieutenant McCarty continues seeking treatment, I am optimistic that the hallucinations will subside. I can’t make any promises on how long it will take, but I do believe that he is well on the path to recovery.”

Both Taryn and Jake were relieved by the counselors assessment, however they were for very different reasons. Taryn was eager to get Jake onto the holodecks and into some intense flight training to prepare him for his eventual return. Jake on the other hand was excited at the prospect of a sooner than expected return to duty.

"That said," Isabel went on, "Mr. McCarty has been cleared for duty..." Expecting a reaction from at least one, if not both, Flight Control Officers, Isabel held up her hand, "He has been cleared for duty, but for now, another Flight Control Officer will have to be with him at all times in case he has another episode. Mr. McCarty will also need to continue seeing Lieutenants Zeral and DeSouza on a basis to be determined by them."

Taryn shot forward in her chair shocked by the news. "Captain?! Don't you think it is a little premature to have Mr. McCarty return to duty? He hasn't flown a ship in weeks, not to mention he still may hallucinate. I would recommend I be allowed to run Mr.McCarty through a series of tests on the holodeck to refresh his current skills and to allow him to familiarize himself with the Malinche's flight systems before he returns to duty."

Normally Jake would have shot right up after her and protested his case. For some reason though, he felt the best course of action would be to sit back and remain calm and cool, very irregular for him. Jake smiled awaiting the Captain and the Counselor's response to Taryn's outburst.

Isabel raised an eyebrow, "Calm down Ms. England; we're not that irresponsible on the Malinche. I didn't say that we should rush him back into flying the ship, especially right now when he's been off duty for awhile. But you can start working with him officially."

Nora nodded. “Getting back into some sort of regular routine will actually be helpful to Lieutenant McCarty’s recovery at this point. So long as another Flight Control Officer stays with him, as Captain Kersare said, and provided that he continues meeting with me and Dr. DeSouza, I don’t foresee any sort of catastrophe on the horizon, either for him or for the Malinche,” she smiled.

Taryn sat back down in her chair. She turned and smirked at McCarty. "Well Mr.McCarty it looks like we shall be getting quite a bit of time to get to know each other."

Jake gave her a fake smile in return. "I guess so...I am looking forward to it." he replied with a hint of sarcasm. Jake could not fathom having to spend more than five minutes in the same room with Taryn. He was having enough trouble dealing with her in the limited amount of time he has seen her so far. Their time on the bridge would prove interesting.

Jake looked back to the Captain. "Ma'am, when will I be able to return to the bridge? Walking up and down the corridors of the Malinche has grown tiresome. In fact I have walked the ship so much I could probably tell you where a certain place is faster than our own computer." he chuckled.

"I'm not sure, Mr. McCarty. That will depend on when Lieutenants England, De Souza, and Zeral feel that you're ready for it," Isabel replied. Being on the bridge was a big responsibility. Even though Jake had made progress, Isabel wasn't sure he was ready for it yet. "When they feel you're ready, they can let me know and we'll go from there. And as I already said, you'll still have to have another Flight Control Officer with you."

"Well Ma'am, as long as they don't breath down my neck I should be able to fly this ship in no time. I understand the need to have someone on the bridge to relieve me should my condition worsen. However I must note I still retain my abilities as a pilot and do not wish to be lectured constantly on how to perform my duties. In my opinion I see this more as a safety precaution and not as a training exercise."

Taryn grumbled knowing McCarty was making an direct attack at her. "Mr.McCarty, as I have not been able to assess your skills to this point I must ask you to understand my intentions when I am giving you direction on flight control. We cannot have some cowboy flying this ship like its some sort of wild animal. I will lend you my advice should I see it necessary and I would hope you would take it with the greatest concern. My job is to ensure my staff is able to not only fly this ship but also to ensure they hold the safety of this crew to the highest regard. If at anytime a member does not display one of those abilities then I would ask they leave the bridge at once."

The mediator in her taking over, Nora hurried to jump into the fray before the words between Jake and Taryn grew too heated. “No one is questioning your abilities as a pilot, Lieutenant McCarty,” she said to him calmly. “However, despite the progress you’ve made so far with your hallucinations, you know that you’re not completely cured yet. Whatever safety precautions your superiors believe need to be taken will be taken. I hope that you can see that this is not a personal affront against you. It is crucial that the safety of the ship and its crew is always maintained.”

Jake removed his cold glare from Taryn and placed a much warmer gaze upon the counselor. "Of course Counselor I fully support and understand the decision to have another Flight Control Officer on the bridge with me. However I only wish to address my concern for Lieutenant England's need to baby her pilots and treat them like they just got out of the academy before actually knowing them."

"Mr.McCarty I never said I had any problems with your flight abilities I merely stated that I would hope you would take any advice I have to offer seriously. I will have you know I am not a fan of those who do not take the extra time to consider their decisions and try to invent their own methods of flying." Taryn responded.

"Perhaps you should learn to think beyond the book Ma'am." Jake said with a smirk.

"Perhaps you should learn how to fly with the safety of the ship in mind before your ego." Taryn shot back.

Isabel looked at the two Flight Control Officers, "That's enough. Either the two of you can stop arguing, start being respectful and working together, or you can both be removed from duty and placed in a single room until you learn to work with each other." If the two were going to act like bickering teenagers, she had no problem treating them as such. "You're both StarFleet Officers; I expect you to start acting like it."

McCarty glared at Taryn beckoning her with his eyes to make another move. Having her removed from duty would make his life much easier as she did not seem open to any sort of ideas beyond those in the Flight Control Manuals. Taryn did not react to his stare, instead she turned back to Isabel.

"My apologies Captain. I am sure Lieutenant(JG) McCarty and myself will find common ground soon enough I assure you this will be our last confrontation of this nature." Taryn let out a fake smile to McCarty attempting to intimidate the young officer.

Jake fired one right back. "I also extend my apologies to you and Lieutenant England. I will work with her without incident from now on ma'am."

Though she wasn't entirely convinced of how sincere the two were being, Isabel decided to let it pass for the moment. "Good. Hopefully from now on we can concentrate on what's important." She glanced over at Nora to see if the Counselor had anything to add.

Being telepathic, Nora could easily sense that the two were still far from happy to work with each other. All the same, she hoped that they would work out their differences sooner rather than later. “Come and see me in a day or two, Lieutenant McCarty. Until then, I hope that you both will come to understand that this arrangement is in everyone’s best interests,” she said with a calm smile.

"Thank you Counselor." Jake began returning Nora's smile. "I will be sure to do so and I will let you know should any complications arise."

"If it's not too much trouble Counselor I would like to be apprised of any details you and Mr.McCarty are comfortable sharing." Taryn added.

“Of course,” Nora nodded. “I’ll be sure to keep you informed on the progress we’re making.”

Once Nora had addressed Taryn's request, Isabel stood and said, "I don't want to take up any more of your time; I'm sure you're anxious to get started with training and have things to discuss. Good luck. Dismissed."

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant JG Jake McCarty
Assistant Chief Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Lieutenant Taryn England (PNPC)
Chief Flight Control Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
played by: Lt JG McCarty

and

Lieutenant Nora Zeral
Chief Counselor & 2XO
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Peters
Senior Staff

Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:33 pm

OFF: This is a backpost

ON:
<<Starbase 386, Outside USS Sentinel, Day 8, 1300>>

Peters stopped at the airlock just outside the USS Sentinel noticing the Security Clearance notification on a nearby display. He tapped a command into that panel to open a comm channel. "Lieutenant Commander Peters to Warrant Officer Kilana Nira."

<USS Sentinel Corridor>

Hearing the message, Kilana tapped her comm badge, "Nira here, go ahead Lieutenant Commander."

<Starbase 386 airlock>

Peters smiled and replied, "I heard you were working on refitting the Sentinel for a war game and I wanted to offer my help."

<USS Sentinel Corridor>

Kilana paused to consider the offer. Considering their time limit though, it didn't take her long. "Rumors get around fast," she replied with a chuckle. "I'd be glad to have whatever help you're willing to give. I'll meet you at the airlock, Nira out."

<Starbase 386 airlock>

After a few minutes, Kilana had made her way to the airlock and glanced around, looking for Todd. Spotting him, she walked over, "Good afternoon Commander."

"Good afternoon," Peters replied. "Thanks for letting me help. I'm sure you're busy working on the ship. Since the Malinche is in drydock for upgrades, I don't have a whole lot to do other than to sit dockwatch shifts in Engineering."

She smiled, "Sounds thrilling. Well, we could certainly use an experienced officer such as yourself. We have a small team and not much time to get her ready... My team started yesterday and we have until the day after tomorrow to get as many upgrades and modifications in as possible."

Peters nodded with a knowing smile. He had had to deal with a similar time crunch many times himself. "Well, I'll be glad to help any way I can," he said. "My strengths are in stellar cartography and quantum mechanic theory, but I've worked on pretty much every system on a starship."

"Just about every system needs something done to it," Kilana chuckled. "So I imagine you'll come in handy. I have a list here of our planned modifications and upgrades, as well as what's been done thus far. Why don't we go in and you can see if you have any other suggestions?" She held out the PADD she had with her to him. Perhaps a fresh set of eyes would also be advantageous.

Taking the PADD Peters smiled again and replied, "That's sounds like a good plan. I had had a few thoughts, but you may have thought of most of them. So I'll let you know if I have anything you haven't thought of once I've read this list."

Kilana nodded, "Excellent. This way, Commander."

<USS Sentinel, computer Core>

"It looks like," Peters said, lowering the PADD, "You've covered most of the bases, which doesn't surprise me. I did have a couple of thoughts though."

"What did you have in mind?" Kilana asked. She thought they'd been fairly thorough, but it was also easy to just get caught up in your own ideas. That was partly why having someone else come in was helpful.

"Well," Peters said with a grin, "I noticed you were going to try to build a cloaking device for the ship based on the specs in the database from some of the older Romulan models. Another possibility as an additional surprise, or a backup, would be to try and fit holoemitters on the hull to either disguise the ship visually or to project images of other ships as decoys. Also, since we're simulating either an attack by Elyshans or pirates, it's very likely that the crew of a ship commandeered by the Elyshans could be willing to make a kamikaze run to fulfill their mission. So you might want to be prepared to simulate a saucer separation and using one or both parts of the ship as a battering ram."

Kilana nodded slowly as she considered his ideas. Both where certainly possibilities, and they hadn't been taken into account. "Good points... Of the two, the former would be more of a challenge. Would you like to borrow some people and work on that?"

Peters grinned again, "I'm sure I have a few officers wasting time on shoreleave who would love that challenge. I'll see who I can scrape together and see if we can get it to work. If we can, great, if not, you'll still have the other ideas you've come up with."

"Sounds like a plan to me. I'll let you get started; just let me know if you need anything," she smiled. "I appreciate it, Commander."

"Not a problem," Peters answered. "Once I get some of my people working on the holoprojectors, I'll come back and see what I can help with in the other upgrades."

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Warrant Officer First Class Kilana Nira
Chief Engineering Officer
Starbase 386

and
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A