Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Re: Mission 18 - Putting the Pieces Together

Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:42 pm

OFF: Slight backpost

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Officers' Mess, Day 11 19:36>>

Finished with his first day 'on the job' Setak strode out of sickbay rubbing the back of his neck; he had spent most of the afternoon stooped over the medical facilities' primary control panel and he was paying the price. Unzipping the front of his uniform slightly allowed him easier access and he massaged at his sore vertebra as he approached the turbolift. After settling their initial differences Setak and Dr. Dormand had managed to get through the rest of the day with relative congeniality, yet the Vulcan had been left with the impression that the Terran woman was suffering from intense stress. He hoped that his presence might ultimately alleviate some of that, dividing the work of sickbay would require less of both.

Minutes later he found himself stepping into the Officers' mess, having been deep in thought he had reached the destination somewhat unintentionally but being reminded of food he realized that he was indeed hungry. Food, he thought, it was yet one more thing that he was becoming accustomed to aboard the Malinche. The ship's replicators fulfilled his every desire and though he couldn't identify the majority of what was on the menu he had started a habit of sampling a new dish from a different world each day. That particular evening he had settled upon a Human dish, "Corned beef hash and eggs".

Having his meal in hand he glanced about the room only to find a dozen sets of eyes suddenly averting their gaze; he had likely been the main focus of attention since entering, he realized suddenly. Many of the officers present had likely been unaware of Setak's assignment and couldn't help but balk at the spectacle of the 'mirror universe celebrity' in one of their uniforms. Ignoring what had just happened his gaze focused on the one individual in the room who had seemed completely uncaring of his presence; Lieutenant Sirak(NPC), the lovely young Vulcan Security officer with whom he had become acquainted during his first day aboard.

Approaching Sirak without hesitation he stopped just short of her table and cleared his throat lightly, "May I join you?"

The Vulcan woman looked up from her still steaming bowl of soup. She had, of course, noted his arrival, but had not paid him any further notice until now. Seeing the stares from some of the others in the mess hall, Sirak turned her attention to Setak, "Yes, you may join me." Considering the other options, it seemed that the one he had chosen was the most logical; perhaps he was not completely hopeless in that regard.

Seating himself, Setak sampled a bit of his meal and nodded his silent approval; the platter was quite different than anything he had previously tried but not unlikeable. Humans were like the Cardassians and Klingons in the sense that many of their people consumed meat, a practice not native to Vulcans but one with which Setak had grown accustomed. Looking up from his plate he studied the liquid in Sirak's bowl before lifting his gaze to meet hers, "What are you having Ensign?"

"I am having Plomeek soup, doctor," Sirak replied non-chalantly. Dipping her spoon back into the bowl, she brought another spoonful of the bland liquid to her lips. Normally she would be a bit more social, but she was still trying to decide what to make of the newest Vulcan crewmember.

"Yes, Plomeek soup," Setak replied though he hadn't the slightest idea what that was. "Tell me Ensign Sirak, may I call you Sirak? I hope I am not intruding but I was hoping that you might be willing to tell me more about yourself. Our people, that is, I have never been to Vulcan and I'd much like to hear about it."

Her eyes met his briefly before she replied, "You may call me Sirak if you wish, doctor. I would like to point out, though, that while on duty protocol dictates that you address me as 'Ensign' or 'Ensign Sirak'." Looking back at him, she raised an eyebrow slightly, "What do you know of Vulcan and our people? Have you known any other Vulcans? If you provide a starting point, I can more appropriately answer your inquiry."

"Fair enough Ensign Sirak," Setak accepted with a slight smile. He paused to eat more of his dinner which he found himself to be enjoying more than he cared to admit and to think on his companions question. "I know what I've read in the Starfleet database and my limited experience as a child. I was born on a Cardassian colony you see and separated from my parents early. There were others of our kind present but they were a broken people, not at all like you..."

"Those who experience difficult times are often changed by their situations," Sirak answered simply. "Given your limited first hand knowledge, the most logical place to start is the beginning. Have you read anything in the database regarding the beginnings of the Vulcan race?" The Vulcan woman paused, taking another spoonful of soup before continuing, "Regarding our past extremely violent and emotional state?"

Setak had not gotten as far as the ancient history of the Vulcan species; he had only had time for a cursory review of the 'modern' texts but he had a feeling that he understood what Sirak was speaking of. "No, I have not. I suppose there were stories told of such things when I was a kid, mention of ancient philosophers and the teachings of Surak but none that I really recall."

Sirak nodded, unsurprised, "Long ago, Vulcans were as I just described....very violent and emotional - nearly always at war with each other. Over the years, our people kept advancing technologically, which, combined with our war-like nature, threatened to end us all. This is when the teachings of Surak (NPC) came to be in the Time of Awakening. Surak and his followers believed that the uncontrolled outpouring of emotions was what was destroying our people; therefore, they instead chose to live their lives in an ethical way based on logical principles. This was when Vulcans began controlling and repressing their emotions. Not all agreed with Surak, of course... A war began and one of its casualties was Surak himself. Eventually, those who opposed left Vulcan...one of those groups settled on a planet, Romulus, and became the Romulan Star Empire." At this she paused, "It is my understanding that your former universe had Romulans...did you meet any of them?"

Setak found himself to be captivated by Sirak's words, not so much by the history of which she was speaking but by how much what she said of their ancient ancestors he found relevant within himself. He had always fashioned himself an outsider amongst his kind, confused by what it was that made the others so different, that he had been corrupted somehow by his masters but it seemed he had not been entirely accurate. The confirmation of his emotional state as a natural thing lifted a weight on his spirit that had been present for a long time yet it seemed only to be replaced by another; he was still different and perhaps irreversibly so. It begged the question; did he really want to change that?

"Only a few," Setak replied having roused from his introspection. "The Romulans of my native reality were as reclusive as they seem to be here. The few I met were prisoners like myself and likely not very good representatives of their culture as a whole. However, I didn't know that our two species are related, I suppose that does explain a few things... Please, go on."

"Indeed, they are," she answered. Her finger wrapped around the glass before her, taking a quick sip before continuing, "At one point the Romulans and Vulcans entered into a hundred-year long war. Another of the groups who left Vulcan were the V'tosh ka'tur; they wished to control their emotions by actively experiencing them, rather than attempting to suppress them." Sirak was glad to see that Setak seemed to be paying close attention to her explanations. Perhaps it would do him good to know more about their people.

Setak found himself becoming troubled by the direction of the conversation, the idea that Vulcans or their ancestors would supress a part of themselves was somehow offensive. He was coming to view himself as something akin to what Sirak might consider her 'ancient ancestors', he was indeed as passionate as the people she described and admittedly could be as violent. Memories flashed in his mind's eye as she spoke, of things he had done that he had tried so hard to forget and of the fear of what he might do. Yet the idea of forcefully altering himself was unsettling to say the least.

As she finished her soup, Sirak gently pushed the bowl to the side and placed her hands, clasped together, on the table, "Vulcans were one of the first races to develop warp drive. In 2063, one of our survey ships detected the Terrans' first warp flight and made contact. We also made contact with the Cardassians, Trill, Tholians, and Klingons, among others. Our people helped develop the Federation and have been members of it since that time. We are still very interested in exploration, as a race, and have done a fair amount of exploring in the Gamma Quadrant. As far as our current standings with our cousins, the Romulans, some of our people have tried to have a more cordial relationship with them, but there has been little success in this endeavor. However, overall the relations between the Federation and Romulans improved after the Reman uprising." Her eyes turned to his as she cocked her head slightly to the left, "Those are the main points in our peoples' history...are there additional questions I can answer, or would you like me to explain about our society as it exists in this universe?"

"You've been informative Ensign," Setak said as, having lost his apatite he pushed his half finished meal aside. He had become agitated and wanted simply to remove himself from the situation before he said or did something he might regret later. "Unfortunately I don't believe I have time to continue our discussion just now. Perhaps at a later time?"

"Of course," Sirak nodded. It was, after all, quite a bit of information to take in at once. Considering his lack of control of his emotions, she was sure it was rather overwhelming. "If you wish, you are welcome to join me during my meditations...in the morning at 0600 or in the evening at 2100 hours." Until now, she had not invited another to her meditative sessions, but for some reason, she felt compelled to do so. It was a rather personal experience, so Sirak was almost surprised that she had offered, but quickly dismissed it as a logical course of action - a fellow Vulcan, undisciplined, could surely use guidance.

Setak paused as he stood and considered Sirak's offer, while he didn't hear judgement in her voice it was the conclusion that his mind leaped to reflexively. He wondered if it was her attempt to 'help' him or purely condescension, there was no way to be sure but it caused him to bristle regardless. Taking a moment to compose himself he decided it was best to respond diplomatically as opposed to what he felt like saying, "Thank you Ensign Sirak, your offer is appreciated but I must respectfully decline."

With a polite nod Setak turned and disposed of his platter quickly before departing the Mess. He would return to his quarters and with luck manage to sleep off his agitation, he had an early day coming and he would be of no use to anyone without rest.

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Provisional Lieutenant Setak
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Ensign Sirak (NPC)
Security Investigations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Harmon
Senior Staff

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:01 pm

OFF: This is a backpost.

ON: <USS Malinche, Bridge, Day 7, 1600>

Chief Harmon had found the Malinche easy enough to find after his conversation with the top two Senior Staffers. Once onboard, he made his way to the Bridge to deliver his orders to Lieutenant JG Masterson, the officer on duty. He had heard the ship was being repaired due to its last encounter. Which explained all the Engineers he passed at different intervals on the way to the Bridge.

The turbolift was almost at Deck One. Devon adjusted the bag he had slung over his shoulder after he pulled the PADD from it. The doors slid open and he walked out onto the Bridge. He scanned the room for someone that looked like he might be the duty officer.

"Run another diagnostic on the back-up targeting sensor array," Aaron suggested as he continued to look over an operation technician's shoulder at the results scrolling across the display. He glanced back toward the empty command chair in the center of the room which he had given a wide berth since assuming supervision of the duty shift. This certainly wasn't his first time in a command-type position aboard the Malinche, but it was his first time in command of a main bridge duty shift and despite the fact that they were still safely docked at Starbase 422, he didn't feel quite comfortable just sitting in the captain's chair.

"I'm sorry, sir," the technician said, interrupting Aaron's thoughts, "there still doesn't seem to be anything there."

"Hmm," Aaron muttered, turning his attention back to the display and frowning slightly. They had been trying to track down an anomaly in the back-up targetting sensors all afternoon, but it always seemed to stay just one step ahead of them. He was starting to think their issue might just be a byproduct of the many repairs still going on all around the ship. If it was, he would have to make a point of talking to Commander Peters about it sometime later.

The sound of the turbolift doors opening caused Aaron to instinctively glance over his shoulder. He was not expecting there to be any significant visitors to the bridge during his shift, but that didn't mean he wasn't going to check anyway. It was possible the captain or another senior officer might decide to make an unexpected visit just to check up on things.

When he saw the middle-aged enlisted man in command red emerge from the turbolift with a dufflebag slung over his shoulder and begin to slowly look around the room, Aaron had a pretty good feeling the man was looking for the person in charge. He straightened up and adjusted the hem of his uniform jacket before starting toward the newcomer with what he hoped was a welcoming smile. "Is there something I can help you with, chief," Aaron asked as he drew near.

Devon looked to the man who had called out to him. The young officer was approaching with a smile on his face. Devon half-smiled in reply. “I hope so, sir. I’m Chief Petty Officer Devon Harmon and I’m looking for Lieutenant JG Masterson. Captain Kersare said he would be the officer on duty up here for me to report to and get started.”

"This is the bridge...and I am Lieutenant Masterson," Aaron said slowly, not having been aware of any new arrivals transferring into his own department.

“Well, I guess this is yours then, sir.” He extended his arm and offered the Lieutenant the PADD in his hand. “I understand most everyone is on shoreleave at the moment, but I’d like to use this time to get settled in, set up, and ready for my duties. That way, none of that stuff will effect the mission later.”

Aaron took the PADD offered to him and quickly skimmed the contents before turning his attention back to the man who had handed it to him. "Everything seems to be in order, from what I can tell," he said, "and it's up to you whether you want to take advantage of the shoreleave time or use it to settle in. I don't think there's any particular reason you can't do one or the other."

“Thank you, sir. I’ll get settled and see what time I have left. I may be able to get in a little practice on the steel drum.” Harmon added that last phrase with smile. “Oh, also, it looks like I’ll be serving as your Master at Arms in addition to Chief of the Boat. So while I’ve got you, sir, I was wondering if there was anything specific you want me to do as your MA?”

"The Master-at-Arms is responsible for supervising enlisted personnel as well as ensuring both safety and security aboard ship," Aaron replied slowly, "Perhaps we can meet again sometime, once you've settled in of course, to talk about it."

“Sure thing, then, sir. On another note, I was wondering about your thoughts regarding the enlisted crew in the Security/Tactical Department. Do you see anyone with potential leadership abilities that I could take under my wing? Or does anyone stand out as a problem that I’ll need to keep an eye on?”

Aaron shook his head back and forth. "No one in particular that I can think of at the moment," he answered, "Everyone seems to be doing quite well so far and I'd like to see that it stays that way."

Devon nodded his head. “Aye, sir. I’ll do my best to ensure that everyone stays up to your standards.” Devon could tell that the Lieutenant was busy and he had recommended that they meet after Devon had settled in. He wanted to let Lieutenant Masterson get back to his work. “I don’t want to keep you from your work any more, sir. If there’s nothing else…” Devon purposely trailed off.

"That'll be all, I guess," Aaron replied with a slight shrug, "Good to have you aboard, Chief."

Devon smiled crookedly and nodded. “Thank you, sir.” He turned and headed toward the turbolift. There was just enough time left in the day for him to get his quarters in order and maybe his office area. He watched semi-busy Bridge as the lift doors closed.

“Deck Three,” he said.

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
Chief Security/Tactical Officer & 2XO
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Chief Petty Officer Devon Harmon
Chief of the Boat & Master-at-Arms
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Harmon
Senior Staff

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:21 pm

OFF: This is a backpost.
ON:

<USS Malinche, CoB’s Office, Day 8, 1000>

Devon had unpacked his belongings yesterday evening and gotten them in order around his quarters. It didn’t take long; he hardly had any decorations or personal effects. He put his kettle drum next to the wall, facing the open living quarters. He wanted his back to the ‘windows’ so he wouldn’t be disturbed by the passing stars while playing. His woodworking equipment he placed in his bedroom for now. He placed, on the shelves, the antique books that he had inherited from his father and mother. He had never really gotten around to reading them. They were more for a memory of his parents. All in all, Chief Harmon’s quarters were fairly Spartan.

The same could be said for his office. He had all the necessary things in there for it to be called an office. But that was about it. He wasn’t trying to be intimidating by not personalizing things, but if that’s what the enlisted crew wanted to think, he wasn’t going to tell them any different. There was one thing, however, that he just had to get set out. On the front, left corner of his desk...within arms reach...was the heavy, clear, glass bowl that Jenny had given him for his birthday. She had the jeweler cut the phrase "In Harm's Way" on it and frost the lettering so it would stand out. "In Harm's Way", he placed the half inch duranium spheres that he had made a decade ago. He always kept two or three in his pockets. One never knew....

He scooted his chair back and looked at the two stacks of PADD’s on either side of his desk. He shook his head. The Malinche was on shoreleave and he was already knee-deep in paperwork. But it was the good kind of paperwork. The kind that takes the best NCO and makes him better in other areas. And the kind that takes the ‘meh’ NCO and makes him better…period.

The one stack on the left was the personnel files and reports on the crew that had caught the attention of Kersare and Zeral. He was searching for above-and-beyond type things that would make them stand out from their peers. He wanted to keep them focused on those and challenge them regarding their secondary and tertiary skills. The second stack, which was actually very small in comparison, was Enlisted Performance Reports, EPR’s, that weren’t up to par…well, at least his par. Chief Harmon not only demanded high quality work from himself, but the non-commissioned officers on whatever ship he served. The low rated EPR’s would give him a chance to evaluate the areas he needed to focus on as Chief of the Boat. And then bring it to the attention of the Department Heads and Executive Officer.

He took one last look at the stacks of PADD’s and stood. A nice long break to meander the ship some more and get to know where things were located wasn’t a bad idea. Especially since he didn’t want to appear the newbie for the first week of being onboard. He chuckled. The Chief of the Boat ought to know the ‘boat.’
Chief Petty Officer Devon Harmon
Chief of the Boat & Master-at-Arms
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:56 pm

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Engineering, Day 14, 1145>>

The time since the battle had been filled to the hilt for the engineering staff, L'Randil included. After taking on more duties outside the shuttlebay, she found more and more respect for her coworkers and the likewise. Even with her ensign rank, the teams she was on regularly deferred to her for leadership decisions as a crew chief or team captain.

In between rounds and repairs, she continued to do her records and statistics at the desk in the engineering office. It felt odd to be sitting at the boss's desk to do the work but he allowed her to do it while he was off duty or about.

Eventually, the XO walked into the office quietly. L'Randil was absorbed in her work and didn't notice right away, startling when she noticed the Betazoid across the desk from her. Rising to her feet with a slight wince, she blurted "Yes, Ma'am!".

Nora had not intended to enter the office quite so stealthily. She had not often had the chance to visit Engineering, and she had taken a moment to quietly observe the hustle and bustle before asking one of the officers there where she could find Ensign N’rass. After stepping inside the office she had been pointed to, and having obviously caught L’Randil unawares, she was quick to smile reassuringly. “At ease, Ensign. I apologize, I didn’t mean to startle you. May I?” Nora gestured toward the chair set before the desk.

The caitian nodded. "Of course, Ma'am. I was just working on these reports for Commander Peters. With all the repairs since the battle, the records got overlooked badly." She was still a little tense but was managing to relax a little.

Nora chuckled as she took a seat, glad that L’randil seemed to be relaxing a bit. “I can well imagine. I know that some of the repairs needed have been rather extensive, so I'm sure you’ve been very busy over the past few days. While we’re on the topic, how are the repairs coming along?”

She sighed. "They are nearing completion after much work. Those Klingon ships gave us a real running, that's for sure. I couldn't say how many days are left, but at least it's getting close." The caitian smirked slightly at the last statement. It was at least a little reassuring to hear her tell herself that.

“I’m glad to hear that,” Nora said, pleased that the repairs all seemed to be moving along nicely enough. When she had first began monitoring the repair progress reports, there had been moments when she had honestly wondered if they’d ever be completed in a timely manner. Thanks to the diligence of crewmembers like L’Randil, the necessary repairs were now moving along more smoothly than she’d first anticipated. “I know that you’ve been working very hard, Ensign. In fact, that’s part of the reason why I’m here,” the Betazoid smiled.

L'Randil canted an ear. The mention raised her attention. "What do you mean?" She paused, then asked, "What happened?" She asked apprehensively.

“It’s nothing like that,” Nora was quick to assure her, chuckling quietly. “Your hard work has not gone unnoticed, L’Randil. You have been recommended for a promotion, and I’m happy to report that I'm here to offer you the position of Assistant Chief Engineering Officer.” Her smile remained as she waited for the Caitian’s response, enjoying immensely this aspect of being Executive Officer.

The engineer relaxed until the thought sunk in. Then her eyes got larger and ears moved forward. "Assistant Chief? Promotion?!" She said to herself out loud. She mulled it over in silence eventually coming to a large smile as she thought about it being long due for as many crew chief positions she had missed or been skipped for. "What is involved with the promotion? I would think it a little odd to be the A.C.E. with an ensign rank." She wasn't sure how far to push that one but figured it wouldn't hurt.

Nora wasn’t at all disappointed by L’Randil’s reaction to the promotion. She could tell that she was pleased with the idea, as well as gratified, and the Betazoid was very happy for that. “I’m glad you asked, actually,” she replied to her question, setting on the desk the small box she had managed to keep out of sight since her arrival in the office. “As part of your promotion, we would like to make you Lieutenant JG N’rass. Does that sound like a more appropriate rank for the position?” Nora finished with a small grin.

L'Randil leaned back and turned the chair with a smirk. She didn't want to sound too eager, but still said a simple "Of course it does!" She sat with her eyes closed and sighed. 'Finally the thought came to mind. "Thank you, Ma'am. I will do my best."

Nora nodded, rising from her chair and extending her hand to the Malinche's new Assistant Chief Engineer. “I know that you will, Lieutenant. You’ve certainly earned it.” She had no doubt that Engineering was in good hands with Peters and N'rass.

The engineer received the gesture with a smile and nodded. "On a related note, has Cmdr Peters been informed yet?" She had a momentary flash of humor which led to a smirk and glint in her eye. She hoped it didn't go noticed too greatly however.

“He has indeed,” Nora confirmed, resuming her seat. “In fact, I believe he’s the one who recommended you be promoted.” Catching L’Randil’s brief expression, she inquired with a humorous smile, “Something else on your mind?”

"Nothing important." L'Randil replied. "I just thought of how Chief Roen would respond to me going from a subordinate to a superior in one pass. Not a big deal, really. Do I get an office with this or am I just where I am now?"

Nora couldn’t help but chuckle a little at that. L’Randil’s enthusiasm over her new promotion was a bit infectious, and it was improving Nora's already good mood. “As far as an office goes, I believe that you remain where you are now. But if you could find an appropriate space somewhere out of the way in Engineering, I’m sure that you could turn that into a little office of your own, if you like.”

"That would be about par for the course." She joked. "I should be fine here. It's just a relief to get the position."

“Like I’ve said, you’ve earned it,” Nora said warmly, standing to take her leave. “Well, it looks like you’ve still got a fair amount of work to do with these repairs, so I’ll go ahead and let you get back to it. Keep up the good work, Lieutenant, and congratulations again.”

L'Randil nodded with a smile as the Nora turned to walk away.

OFF:

A JP by:

Lieutenant JG L'Randil N'rass
Assistant Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:39 pm

OFF: This is a backpost

ON: <<USS Malinche, Lounge, Day 7, 0700>>

Kiaran (NPC) frowned slightly as she looked across the lounge. The Vulcan from the Mirror Universe, Setak, was still seated in the same place he'd been for hours. The night staff even confirmed it when she had arrived. Usually the only people who did that were drinking the night away or contemplating things. Since the Vulcan hadn't ordered any alcohol, she assumed the latter.

As Maggie entered the lounge she saw a new person. She wasn't sure how to approach this character since he looked tired and withdrawn. But she walked up to him and said "Good Morning."

Nodding a bit absently as Maggie approached her following her greeting to their customer, the El-Aurian said, "Good morning, Maggie..." Turning her attention away from Setak, she gave the young woman a smile, "My apologies, dear, I suppose I'm just a bit distracted by our guest from the Mirror Universe."

Maggie was nervous about the person sitting in the lounge. She heard about new people on board, but hadn't seen them til now. Looking at Kiaran, she asked "So what can you tell me about him?"

For once, Lena (NPC) was on time for work. She was, however, in something of a bad mood, and she had been more or less brooding in the kitchen ever since her arrival. Aware that the somewhat catastrophic blind date she’d been set up on the night before shouldn’t keep her from doing her job, she finally pulled herself together and made her way into the lounge.

Kiaran and Maggie were there, apparently staring across the lounge at one of their patrons. She was eager for a distraction and moved to join the pair. “Please tell me you have some sort of juicy gossip to distract me this morning,” Lena said, turning her own gaze on the Vulcan male they were watching. She didn’t think she’d seen him before, but considering the scrutiny he was under, not only from Kiaran and Maggie but from several of the other patrons as well, it didn’t take her long to guess who he was. “Hey, isn’t that the guy from the Mirror Universe? My roommate was telling me about him. He’s a doctor, right?”

Having paused when Lena walked up to them, Kiaran decided to answer both women at the same time, "Yes, he is a doctor. Though I don't know much else, I'm afraid, Maggie. I know he was brought on board after the first attack by the Mirror Universe ships... He is from the Mirror Universe. And he must be some kind of doctor - I heard some of the crew talking about how he helped one of our crew members who became infected by something on one of the Mirror Universe ships," Kiaran answered. Most of the others in the Lounge seemed to be avoiding him, although there were a few Security Officers at the next table - presumably keeping an eye on him. "It seems he's been given permission to leave his quarters, anyway, but I don't know what will happen to him."

Lena watched the Vulcan for a moment. “It’s all very exciting,” she said, somewhat conspiratorially. “Usually all the exciting things happen outside of the lounge, so it’s nice that we’re finally getting a taste of the action.” Turning to the two women, she asked half-jokingly, “Do you think he’s dangerous?”

"I'm kinda scared of him". Maggie said with an awkward look on her face. "Maybe we should give him a chance before assuming that he could be dangerous," Maggie said. Maggie thought to herself that it was exciting to have some action in the lounge, but hoped nothing bad happened.

Judging by the looks on some of their other patrons’ faces, Maggie wasn’t the only one that the Vulcan made nervous. Lena had to admit that she was a little unnerved by his presence herself. All things Mirror Universe-related made her a bit uncomfortable, truth be told. “Who’s been waiting on him?” she asked curiously, turning to Kiaran.

Glancing over at Lena, Kiaran replied, "Various waiters and waitresses actually...He's been here so long that their shifts would end and someone else would take over. Plus, some weren't comfortable with him. You or Maggie can wait on him now, though he hasn't ordered anything in quite some time and I just checked on him. How have your mornings been thus far?"

“I think I’ll pass,” Lena said, chuckling quietly. “You can if you want, Maggie."

"I will wait on him."Maggie said with a nervous tone. Her morning had been good before now and hoped that it stayed that way. She walked over to the customer feeling queasy. She talked to the customer and got him a cup of coffee. "That wasn't so bad." she said to Lena.

"As for my morning, well, let’s just say that my morning has been…not great. I had the blind date from hell last night,” Lena huffed, folding her arms across her chest as she reminded herself of the unpleasant evening she’d had. “My roommate thought that it would be a good idea to set me up with a science officer, for god’s sake. I mean, there's nothing wrong with them in general, but we had absolutely nothing to talk about.”

Giving Maggie an encouraging smile, Kiaran then turned to Lena, "I imagine there are worse things than having nothing to talk about, dear. Besides, it did give you something to do, didn't it? Was he really that boring?"

Lena nodded emphatically. “Yes, he really was. There’s nothing wrong with Science Officers in general, don’t get me wrong there. It’s just that all he wanted to talk about was his job. It took a lot of effort on my part to pretend like I knew what he was talking about when half the time I wasn’t even sure he was speaking English,” she snorted. “Oh, well. You win some, you lose some.”

"And what about you Maggie, did you do anything fun or exciting last night?" Kiaran asked as she started a fresh pot of coffee and flitted about the kitchen, taking stock of what was ready. Glancing up, she noticed more customers coming in, but most were going to the replicator.

"Yes I sat in my room and read my book." "After serving people all day, I need the quiet time to myself." she said to Kiaran. Maggie glanced around the lounge to see if anybody needed a refill on coffee or anything else. She picked up the coffee pot and glanced in the direction of the new customer and walked towards him. "Would you like more coffee, sir?" she asked. "It was just brewed fresh." She poured him coffee and walked away.

She walked back towards the kitchen with the coffee pot and poured herself a cup. "So Kiaran any plans tonight?" Maggie asked.

Kiaran smiled, "Well, I was thinking of taking in a holodeck program. I haven't quite decided which one yet, but if either of you would like to join me you're welcome to. I was thinking 1900 hours." Normally she would go by herself, but today having company with her sounded like a nice idea.

"I would enjoy going to a holodeck program." she said. "It will be nice to have a change of scenery." she replied with a smile. "I haven't had the energy to clean my room and am tired of the same thing every night." she said with a sigh. "I go sit in my room and read a book until I fall asleep." she said.

"Surely there are other things you could do," the Lounge Manager frowned. "Perhaps you just need a friendly nudge to go have some fun. I think that Lena and I could show you a good time, right Lena?" Kiaran could understand just wanting to hole up in one's quarters, but it certainly did get old after awhile.

“Definitely,” Lena agreed, her smile enthusiastic. “Ooh, count me in! Reading is great and all, Maggie, but it really is nice to get out whenever you can.” Truthfully, she wasn’t much of a reader herself, but she did love the idea of searching out some fun for the evening. “So, holodeck at 1900 hours then? Pick out a good program, Kiaran,” Lena winked, and then hurried off to serve a waiting customer.

OFF:
JP brought to you by:

Civilian Maggie Nolan
Waitress
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Civilian Lena Olson (NPC)
Waitress
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
played by: Lt Cmdr Zeral

and

Civilian Kiaran Tyvial (NPC)
Lounge Manager
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

N'rass
Senior Staff

Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:14 pm

ON: <USS Malinche, Turbolift, Shoreleave day 14. 1200 hrs>

Amber (PNPC) walked into the turbolift with crossed arms. Even though the pilot she had met the night before said not to, she wanted to meet with the captain before too long. The door closed and she said flatly, "Bridge".

This turbolift is so small compared to the station's she thought to herself. As the door opened, she straightened her knee length dark brown dress and checked her red hair's position. Satisfied, she advanced to the bridge's doorway.

Almost immediately the crew turned from their bustle to look at the Betazoid civilian's entrance. "I need to speak to the captain."

"Ready room." The security station officer replied flatly. The air of protocol was cold and foreboding, but she figured the worst they would do is tell her to leave. She pushed the chime button of the Ready room door and waited.

Standing by the replicator, Isabel was pondering what to have for lunch when she heard her door chime. She wasn't expecting any reports in particular and didn't have any appointments... As long as it wasn't bad news though, she didn't really mind. Isabel moved back towards her desk as she replied, "Enter."

"Thank you, Captain." Amber said as she walked into the room. "I am Amber Thanis, Archaeologist." She tried to watch for subtle cues as to the demeanor of the commanding officer across the room from her.

Isabel ran the name over in her mind, wondering if it was familiar. "Good afternoon, Ms. Thanis. Would you like to have a seat?" Pointing to a seat across from her own, Isabel moved to the other side of her desk and sat down. "I'm Captain Kersare, as I suppose you know...what can I do for you?"

Amber sat down with a gentle flowing motion, then leaned back in her seat. After Isabel sat down, she crossed one leg and placed her hands on the higher knee. "I assume you have not had time to observe the crew rosters yet. As a matter of practice, I like to keep current with the captain of the ship I am assigned to." She paused and looked around. "Typically the fleet assigns me to wee bit more... diplomatic vessels, though." She hoped the humor would break the ice a little. This was the first time she had dealt with a woman captain, so the method was a little different.

Another new crewmember...interesting. "It seems that StarFleet enjoys surprising me with new crew nowadays," Isabel replied with a small grin. Pressing a button, she reactivated her console and brought up the Malinche's crew compliment and searched for Amber. Nodding slowly, she said, "Amber Thanis, Civilian Archaeologist, yes, I see you right here. I can't say I've had a civilian in a departmental role before, not that I'm opposed, of course. We could use additional personnel in the Science department."

Amber smirked and sighed. "The way I see it, I have a lil bit of a head start on the fleet boys that way. While they were doing all that Academy stuff I was already working sites and dealing with native tribes." She paused for a moment reminiscing, then made focused eye contact. "I have a feeling the fleet assigned me to this ship for a reason. Perhaps you can shed some light on that matter?" The betazoid thought it might be forward to ask, but she wanted to see how it would go.

The woman was certainly...confident. "The Academy is important for those serving on a starship, Ms. Thanis. There are protocols that need to be followed to ensure the safety of this crew, for instance. While assigned to my ship as a civilian, you will be expected to follow orders that members of my crew give, understood?" Isabel asked, holding Amber's gaze. "As far as why StarFleet assigned you to the Malinche, I'm not sure. Obviously I was not told that you would be joining us... The Prometheus class is not really an explorer vessel, which would seemingly be more suited to your talents. But, perhaps they have something in mind."

Amber held her dark Betazoid eyes on Isabel's for a while, eventually revealing a minor glint of a smirk. The question was as much a test of the captain as it was a genuine inquiry. "I see, Captain." She nodded. "Hopefully the fleet will answer that question for us before circumstances will necessitate." As she continued to face Isabel, she attempted to monitor her thoughts but found the captain to be much more challenging and focused than most of the male captains she had dealt with. Her smile was that of respect in response to this.

"If I may," Amber asked in a more subtle tone that showed her irish accent, "would I be able to observe from the bridge if we encounter any new planets or anomalies? I know some commands do not allow civilians on the bridge."

Isabel paused, considering Amber's request before responding, "We may be able to work something out. Most of the information pertinent to you would be available in our Science facilities, but if you want a first look at something, that could likely be arranged. However, your bridge access would be restricted to certain situations." For that, Isabel would need to go through the proper channels with StarFleet as it was...perhaps she could give Amber something of an enlisted rank to help things along, though she would have to complete the basic training. "I can understand your interest in new planets as an archaeologist...but where do the anomalies come into play? Typically spatial anomalies is a somewhat different branch of Science that requires special training."

"Well..." Amber paused self consciously for a change. "I think...I could have something ta offer. Anomalies are just a curiosity because they tend to have good historical sites and interestin little legends around them. That and the last couple captains allowed it."

Raising an eyebrow slightly as she noted Amber's reaction, Isabel replied, "I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to push your access quite that far. Regardless of whether or not other commanding officers have allowed it, it is not your specialty. There are other crew members aboard that are more specialized in that area and anomalies can be dangerous as it is. If an anomaly is deemed safe and is deemed to have some form of archaeological significance, we'll see about making an exception." She wasn't entirely comfortable having a civilian on the bridge to begin with and it seemed to Isabel that Amber was perhaps trying to see just how much leeway she would be given. Most likely Isabel...or someone at least... would have to keep an eye on her.

Amber was hoping the meeting would go a little smoother than it had. It didn't take telepathy to notice the captain's mood on the matter. At least she didn't react like her second captain, who had her put in the brig for being too forward with him. Taking the cue, she stood up and straightened her skirt down before resuming an almost at attention posture, and a change of tact. "Please excuse me forwardness, Ma'am. I only ask that I be included where I can be. This is a career to learn and get the most out of."

Isabel nodded, "Of course, Ms. Thanis. If you speak with my yeoman or someone in the Operations department, they can find some quarters for you." Standing, she offered her hand to the other woman, "It's been a pleasure to meet with you; if you need anything, please let my Executive Officer or yeoman know."

Amber nodded with a smile, accepting the gesture. "As I shall. I value communication in both directions." She turned toward the door, then paused to glance at an ancient looking item on the shelf. "Good day to ya, Madame." She said in her light Irish accent.

OFF: JP by

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche

and

Amber Thanis (PNPC)
Archaeologist/Historian
USS Malinche

Played by
Lieutenant JG L'Randil N'rass
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:41 am

ON:
<<Starbase 422, Docking Station 4, Day 14, 1145>>

In true spur-of-the-moment fashion, Starfleet had informed Captain Kersare that the Malinche was receiving an addition to its Counseling department. There had been little by way of actual information, only that their newest crewmember would be arriving at the Starbase aboard another Starfleet ship that same day. Nora was naturally excited at the news, although she wished that they knew a little more. Only the day before—the same day she had officially left the department to become Executive Officer, incidentally—had she told her colleagues her news and informed them of their promotions. Now, it seemed that there were still some changes to come for the normally quiet department.

As it happened, Nora and Isabel had already had plans to visit the starbase that morning. Over breakfast they had informally discussed Nora’s new assignment in depth, going over the ship, the crew, and everything in between. Aware of the estimated arrival time of the new crewmember’s transport ship, Nora had gamely suggested that they try to greet the new arrival while still on the starbase. It wasn’t the usual manner in which a ship’s CO and XO met a new crewmember, but since they were already there—and since Nora was admittedly very curious to meet the new counselor—the plan was agreed to and Nora and Isabel found their way to Docking Station 4.

Standing off to the side, Isabel tried to stay out of the way of the starbase personnel currently scurrying about the StarFleet vessel which had docked in the last thirty or forty minutes. While she was certainly intrigued at the idea of a new counselor, she had to wonder how Nora felt about it; after all, she would have normally been working directly with a new member to the Counseling department, but now that would likely be Jacob's (NPC) job. As they waited, Isabel said, "I'm actually surprised we got this much notice on a new crewmember...usually I don't find out til the new addition is already on the Malinche. Hopefully Ms. Dallas won't mind us meeting her here."

“If this is considered advance notice, I’d love to see Starfleet’s idea of a last-minute transfer,” Nora chuckled. She had heard just how spontaneous Starfleet could be when it came to transfers and new crewmembers, and now she was really seeing it firsthand. “But yes, I hope she doesn’t mind meeting us here either. Surely being bombarded by one’s superior officers can’t be all that terrible,” she added dryly.

Before Kersare could answer, the two women were approached by an auburn haired woman in her mid-thirties confined to a hover-chair. The woman approached slowly, clearly scanning the faces in the crowd for signs of recognition. She had reviewed personnel files on the way over and was inwardly surprised to be met by the Captain herself and the ship's former CC.

Karyn Dallas did not let her surprise show, however, her only outward expression a polite nod and warm smile. She only hoped for a smooth transition. The one thing she hated about the travel within her job for Starfleet Medical was that she was constantly crashing other people's parties. "Captain Kersare, I presume? You must be her Executive Officer," Karyn added, cursing herself for forgetting the woman's surname. Technically, she outranked the other counselor, but Karyn wasn't one to lord her weight around by referring to people by first names at first meeting.

Looking over at the new arrival upon hearing her voice, Isabel smiled, "You presume correctly. I'm Captain Kersare of the Malinche and this is, as you noted, my Executive Officer, Lieutenant Zeral. You must be Ms. Dallas; pleasure to meet you." Isabel offered her hand to the counselor. It didn't appear that Karyn minded meeting them there too much, though they had just met. She hoped that their first meeting went well...and was curious to see if there would be any awkwardness considering Nora's former position as Chief Counselor.

After Isabel and Karyn shook hands, Nora extended her hand to Karyn as well. “It’s always a pleasure to meet a fellow counselor,” she said sincerely, smiling warmly. She hadn’t had much of a chance to look over Karyn’s personnel file, but from what she had seen, she had an impressive record as a counselor and an officer. Nora had high hopes that she’d be a good fit for the Malinche as well. “How was your trip to the starbase? Pleasant enough, I hope?”

Karyn shook Nora's hand and continued to smile sincerely, hoping it would soften the disruption to come. "My trip wasn't bad, though to be honest, I travel so much with this job, it's hard to remember one shuttle ride from another," Karyn lightly chuckled. She paused then, hesitating as she added, "Did Starfleet Medical tell you why I was coming?"

Isabel chuckled, "I imagine it is." Noting the slight hesitation from Karyn, she shook her head slightly, "No, not really. We heard that you would be joining us and found out how you would be arriving and when, approximately, but that was it. Would you care to enlighten us?" Glancing over at Nora briefly, with a very slight look of confusion, Isabel then turned her full attention to Karyn. The way that Karyn had asked if they knew why she was coming made Isabel wonder what exactly that reason was.

Having seen the confused looks pass between the two women, Karyn's immediate instinct was to reassure them and to stop beating around the bush, but she also received different reactions from different people each time she showed up. Not all the reactions were pleasant. "I am a senior counselor within Starfleet Medical who has been tasked with ensuring counselors and counseling departments within my purview have the resources and expertise to properly serve their crews. I was asked to come to the Malinche to observe the crew and to step in as Acting Chief Counselor to make sure the crew's needs are taken care of."

Dallas paused, her tone apologetic and what she hoped was appropriately diplomatic. "This is not an indictment of you or your work," Dallas began, meeting the eyes of both women, "but with your former CC now moving up to First Officer, I think the brass just want to make sure all the bases are covered. Certain crews are often flagged because of the type and number of traumatic incidents they've endured, and it's out of concern for your crew the brass have sent me to lend a helping hand."

At Karyn's explanation, Isabel nodded slowly, "That makes sense. Though considering the various incidents we've had, I'm almost surprised they didn't send someone before." She chuckled slightly before continuing, "I think we manage alright, all things considered, but any extra help would certainly be appreciated. And as you said, Lieutenant Commander Zeral has her new position. We did assign one of the other counselors as Acting Chief, but if it's alright with you, I imagine the two of you could share duties or he could help as Assistant Chief; he is already familiar with our crew."

"Absolutely," Karyn agreed. "Despite my orders, it is not my intention to come in and start throwing my weight around. I want to work with you. The existing staff has valuable insight into the crew. I can certainly understand why you might have a different impression given my orders and my manner of arrival. It's the other thing I hate about this job."

Nora nodded sympathetically, her thoughts turning over this turn of events. There was no denying that the Malinche had had its fair share of traumatic incidents. She had seen the repercussions of that herself when she had still been heading its Counseling Department. She couldn’t fault Starfleet for its foresight, though she did wonder how Jacob (NPC) would take it, seeing as he’d only been Acting Chief Counselor for a number of days. Then again, knowing Jacob’s easy-going nature, he’d more than likely take it all in stride. “I don’t think Jacob will mind too much helping as Assistant Chief,” she put in. “You’ll find that he’s a very helpful person in any case, and very friendly, too.”

"We can head over to the ship now, if you'd like to get settled in and familiarize yourself with the Malinche. But you're certainly welcome to take your time; we don't have our next assignment just yet and I'm sure Jacob can handle things in counseling for the time being," Isabel explained to Karyn. There were a few things she needed to check on, but she also had some errands on the starbase, so either way suited her. Truthfully, Isabel wanted to get some relaxation time in on the base, but that kind of time had been rather limited for her. Either way, she'd be sure to work things out.

Karyn didn't know either woman well, but she had a feeling neither was anxious to return to the ship. Still, she was anxious to get settled. "I'd hate to ruin your break," Karyn replied. "If you'd just point me in the Malinche's direction, perhaps I won't need to board with an escort?"

"Your name is already on the list of those approved to board the ship," Isabel explained, "so that shouldn't be a problem at all. The Malinche is currently in Docking Bay 7, just over that way." She gestured in the correct direction before adding, "From here, if you make a right, just keep going until you see a bar on your right with red, grey, and black decor, then make another right and you'll be headed in the right direction."

"Got it," Karyn replied, preparing to take her leave. "Thank you both so much for the welcome committee and the understanding."

Isabel smiled, "It was a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Dallas. I'm sure we'll catch up with you later. Let me know if you need anything."

“I’ll look forward to meeting with you in a more official capacity once you’re all settled onboard the Malinche,” Nora said with a warm smile.

"Likewise," Karyn answered with a grin. With that said, Dallas took her leave.

“You know something?” Nora asked rhetorically after Dallas had disappeared into the crowd. “I like her. It can’t be easy, traveling from ship to ship on an assignment like that. I only hope she doesn’t find our Counseling in any sort of disarray,” she added with a rueful smile. Although she did understand Starfleet’s reasoning behind this assignment, she couldn’t shake the tiny fear that perhaps Karyn’s arrival did reflect on her own performance as the ship’s former Chief Counselor.

Nodding thoughtfully, Isabel replied, "I would imagine it isn't easy, but she seems to handle it well. Of course, if she didn't handle it well, I'd be a bit concerned about her ability to be a counselor and help others." Of course, they'd only spoken with her for a short while, but still it was a good indication. "I'm sure you have nothing to be concerned about regarding what she'll think about Counseling. You did a great job with it over the years and it's in good shape as far as I'm concerned. Mostly I'm wondering how the others will react to Ms. Dallas' presence. Regardless, I'm sure everything will work out."

OFF:

JP brought to you by:

Karyn Dallas
Acting Chief Counselor
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Lieutenant Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer