Mission 18 - Putting the Pieces Together

Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Mission 18 - Putting the Pieces Together

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:05 pm

OOC: I'll add something more here later, but feel free to start posting. After the last attack JP, the Malinche will be going to (NPC) Starbase 422 for repairs. As this is an NPC base and one I've never used before, feel free to make up essentially whatever you want for it. Just be sure to read each others' posts so that we can remain consistent. If you have any specific questions regarding the base, please PM me.
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Vosh
Junior Staff

Re: Mission 18 - Putting the Pieces Together

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:08 am

<<Starbase 422>>
<Main Corridor, 0945, Day 1>

Trace took a long deep breath as he stepped down onto the main corridor of Starbase 422. For the better part of the past few days the air on the Malinche had smelled pretty much like burned out circuitry and overloaded components. It was nice to smell the fresh air, as it were, of a new place.

“I don’t think I have ever been here before,” Ryan said, looking around.

Trace turned to Ryan Morris (NPC) who had recently been released from sickbay after recovering from a rather lethal virus. Trace still felt partially responsible for what happened and no amount of talking to the consuler would make that go away. It was just something that he would have to learn to deal with and get over on his own time but it didn’t mean that he was going to dwell on it.

“I know that I haven’t,” Trace said. The corridor was rather wide and lead down to what looked like a massive open promenade that reminded him slightly of the one that was on 386. He could hear all sorts of noise coming from that direction and guessed that was as good a place as any to start to relax.

“I should be getting back to the armory,” Ryan started to say.

“Oh no you don’t,” Trace said, taking hold of his arm. “We deserve some time off after that mission, you especially. Besides, do you really want to be around when all the little engineering gremlins of Peter’s start to tear through it.”

“You make a good point,” Ryan said. “And let go of my arm before I smack you.”

“You’d strike your superior officer?” Trace asked, with mock horror. “I should report you for that.”

“Doubtful,” Ryan shrugged. “Or I would have to report you for something as well…I don’t know what it is yet but I bet I can find something.”

“I’m a model officer,” Trace said, as they started walking. “I don’t have anything for you to report on. My the last host, however…she had plenty to report.”

“Lilana?” Ryan asked.

They passed a small flower shop and then stepped into the larger open promenade that they had seen further back in the corridor. Dozens of shops littered the area and what looked like several restaurants. Trace and Ryan wandered over to a nearby shop listing and skimmed through the various names.

“Yeah,” Trace nodded, answering Ryan’s earlier question. “Lilana, I think she punched her commanding officer on 3 separate occasions.”

“Including the Klingon one?” Ryan asked.
“They were all the Klingon one,” Trace smiled. “She didn’t like being told she was too weak to do something.”

“Sounds like my kind of girl…I mean guy…wait, how does that work?”

“Forget about it,” Trace said. “Just know that I don’t plan on punching Aaron or Commander Barrett any time soon. They both scare me. Did you get Adam and Jaosn anything yet for their wedding?”

“Not yet,” Ryan said, shaking his head. “I was sort of hoping that we could find something here.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Trace smiled.

OFF: I’m baaaaaaacckkkk!
Ensign Trace Vosh
Assistant Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:56 pm

ON:
<<Starbase 422, Promenade, Day 1, 1320>>

Nora and Julie (PNPC) made their first visit to Starbase 422 together, both eager to stretch their legs while exploring a little bit. They were chatting pleasantly, feeling invigorated by the chance to see some fresh, new sights. Once they reached the starbase’s main promenade, however, Julie grew quiet.

She’d thought that by now the feeling would have worn off, but there it was, as strong as ever--a feeling of loss and loneliness that made her visibly droop. It was on shoreleave that she had met her late husband, and their whirlwind romance had been set against the backdrop of a starbase that looked very similar to this one. Just to see it, and to stand there without him by her side as he had once been, was still painful in the extreme.

Nora could easily sense Julie’s sudden change in mood, and she watched her friend with sympathy and concern. She knew the particulars behind Julie’s marriage to Alex (NPC) and didn’t wonder that their current surroundings struck a painful chord for Julie. “Do you want to stop for a moment?” she asked. “There’s a bench right over there.”

“Oh, um, sure.” Julie let Nora guide her to the bench and sat down beside the counselor. She was silent for a few moments, processing the imagery around her and slowly collecting herself once more. When the worst had passed, she turned apologetically to Nora. “I’m sorry about that. I thought I was over my dislike of starbases by now, to tell you the truth.”

“There’s no need to apologize,” Nora assured her with a smile. “I know from personal experience that you can’t always predict when old memories and such might strike you. My parents have been dead for nearly eight years, and I still have odd moments where I miss my mother so much, I just want to cry.”

“That’s terrible, Nora. I’m so sorry.”

“Oh, don’t feel sorry for me,” Nora laughed softly. “I always was a shameless mother’s girl, anyway. Besides, we’re supposed to be talking about you. Do you want to talk about Alex?”

Julie rolled her eyes and chuckled. “You know I’m not really a big fan of talking too much about myself. Thanks for the offer, but I’m fine now. I do miss Alex, but he’s gone. I know I need to just keep living, and that’s what I intend to do.” She looked around the Promenade for a moment before spotting a restaurant across the way. “Come on, let’s get some lunch, and you can tell me all about this Gell guy that you’re supposed to meet.”

With a pained look on her face, Nora groaned. “I had almost forgotten about that,” she sighed. After thinking the matter over for a long while, she had decided to finally meet the Betazoid man she had been genetically bonded to as a child. It was an odd situation all around, and she had been shifting between excitement and dread ever since she’d dredged up the courage to call Gell (NPC) and finally speak with him face to face, so to speak.

That preliminary meeting had gone rather well, and Nora had been flattered when Gell had volunteered to take a few days off from his work as a surgeon on Betazed to meet her during her upcoming shoreleave. Her oldest brother, Soren (NPC), had been extremely pleased when she’d told him the news. Bron (NPC), however, had teased her mercilessly, which certainly hadn’t helped her growing case of nerves.

Rising from the bench, Nora gave Julie a weak smile. “Well, I certainly am hungry, so I suppose the inquisition can begin.”

“Way to be a good sport,” Julie laughed, and together they walked across the Promenade.

OFF:
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:14 am

ON: [[Chief Security/Tactical Officer's Office, USS Malinche, Shoreleave Day 01, 0930]]

Despite the fact that the Malinche had arrived at Starbase 442 in one piece, the puzzle as to what had transpired in the Badlands was still a mystery in many respects. The captain had, of course, impressed upon all of them the importance of taking advantage of this opportunity for a little respite from recent events, but Aaron could not help feeling as if he had some responsibility to shed even the smallest light on the subject, as best he could anyway. It was for that reason he was in the office this morning to review tactical data from their engagement. Not only would it help them to better understand just what had happened during the encounter, but he had a feeling that Starfleet Command was going to be quite interested in what he and the rest of the senior staff of the Malinche had to say about the incident.

Understanding the reports of their tactical engagements with the Alliance vessels was simple enough. They had encountered four distinct vessels over the course of a prolonged game of cat and mouse, what appeared to be two B'rel-class birds-of-prey and two Vor'cha-class attack cruisers. The use of the Malinche's Multi-Vector Assault Mode had certainly given them a tactical advantage over the Alliance vessels in both engagements such that, by the time the final engagement had been concluded, three out of the four enemy vessels had been destroyed. Unfortunately, figuring out what four Alliance vessels were doing in the Badlands was not going to be such an easy task.

"Those reports will still be there when shoreleave is over, you know," Mike (NPC) remarked from where he was sitting sideways on the small couch to one side of the office.

"Yes, but if I get them done now, then I will actually be able to enjoy the rest of my shoreleave without having to worry about dealing with them later," Aaron replied, his gaze sliding from the PADD in his left hand to the one in his right, "besides, I'm sure the station will still be there this afternoon..."

Mike shook his head. Putting in the extra time to get ahead in his work was so typical for Aaron. At the same time, everyone deserved a little time off. The last several days had been rather difficult for all of them and, for some of them, it still wasn't over. There were still a good deal of repairs to complete before the Malinche would be ready for her next assignment, judging by what Mike had heard from some of the engineering technicians, and one never knew when they might get another opportunity to take a few days off. "So will those reports," Mike interjected, folding his arms across his chest.

Letting out an exaggerated sigh, Aaron lowered the PADD he had been reading slightly and looked over in Mike's direction. He really wanted to get these reports out of the way now so that he could enjoy his shoreleave without them constantly hanging over his head. At the same time, he knew that Mike was not going to leave him alone until he put it down, if only for a little while.

"I'll make you a deal," Mike said, a mischievous grin spreading across his face, "You and I spend the morning on the station and I promise I will have you back here with plenty of time to finish going over your reports."

This time, it was Aaron who shook his head, but the smile that was beginning to tug at the corners of his mouth betrayed his faux-stoicism. He had heard Mike use that same offer before. The truth was, he really did have the time to go over these reports later if he wanted to and still have time to enjoy the rest of his shoreleave afterward. A few hours wasn't going to make or break anything.

"Alright," Aaron replied, "but you have to promise to let me finish going over those reports when we get back..."

"Sure, sure," Mike said, waving his hand dismissively. He flashed another mischievous grin in Aaron's direction.

Aaron made a show of rolling his eyes as he stacked both PADDs next to his desktop terminal. With one hand, he deactivated the monitor and rose to his feet. Maybe a little time off would help give him a fresh perspective later.

OFF

A JP by:

Ensign Mike Kepler (PNPC)
Security Officer
USS Malinche
Played by: LtJG Masterson

and
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
Chief Security/Tactical Officer & 2XO
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Townsen
Crewmember

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:04 am

<<USS Malinche>>
<Barrett-Townsen Quarters, 0700, Day 1>

Jason stretched out in bed, beyond glad that there last mission was over. Although he didn't mind a good challenge nearly getting blown out of the water by mirror universe Klingons was not something that he attributed to a good time. The Malinche was docked at Starbase 422; undergoing repairs. They hadn't learned how long they were going to be there but Jason suspected it was probably going to take longer then anyone would have liked.

He looked down to see Adam lying on his chest; that brought a smile to Jason's face. Adam was generally not someone that liked to cuddle or be cuddled. Generally speaking they slept on opposite sides of the bed.

Adam woke up and buried the heel of his hand into his eye to rub the sleep out. He thought it was unusual that he'd woken up cuddled up to Jason. He didn't normally do that but he assumed that was because they'd been away from each other so long during the last mission.

"Morning." Adam yawned out and kissed Jason's chest. "How'd you sleep?"

"You're heavy," Jason said, kissing the top of Adam's head. "What about you, how did you sleep?"

"Like a rock." Adam said with a smile to Jason.

"Figured you'd say that," Jason grunted, sliding out of bed as Adam got up. He stretched his arms wide and then cracked his back. He was wearing only his sleeping shorts to bed.

Adam walked up behind Jason and began rubbing his shoulders, working out the morning tightness. It was more knotted than usual.

"Still a little stressed from that last mission I see."

"Its possible, I think that Peters wants to kill me now for that little stunt that we pulled with the phaser array. His minions keep giving me dirty looks."

"You work too hard." Adam said shaking his head slightly. "It's a good thing that we're docked. Maybe you can relax some while we're here. I was thinking about taking Tavi to see the promenade, you could join us. I'm sure the Captain could give you at least one day to relax."

Jason sighed. He wished it were that simple but even if the captain did give him a day to relax they still had the wedding plans to finish and who knows how long that would take. Nope, although this was shoreleave he didn't see relaxing any time soon...at least not until after the wedding.

"You do remember that we are getting married in like a week right," Jason said. "And we still have a few arrangements to make."

Adam smiled and kissed Jason on the cheek, "You know you're useless when it comes to the planning. Besides who said my little jaunt down to the promenade is just a pleasure trip. I have ulterior motives in dragging you both to the promenade."

"First off, if you buy Tavi any more of those ancient throwing stars I am going to kick your butt, he missed the target in his room twice last week and now we have holes in the wall," Jason said, eyeing his fiancé. "And secondly we haven't even begun to figure out what was going on with those alliance ships in the badlands."

Adam playfully smacked Jason on the rear as he walked toward the bathroom to take his morning shower. "Go wake up the short tornado in the other room. We have several busy days ahead of us."

"No way," Jason said, holding up his hands. "He seems to have your attitude when it comes to sleep. Last time I tried to wake him up he threw his clock at me."

"Hey I can't help it that the kid takes after his favorite dad. Besides you can pull the 'Commander' voice to make him get up. I just can't wake him up. He always rolls over and gives me the sad puppy dog face and asks for just 5 more minutes and I give him 10."

"Nope, you're doing it," Jason said, starting for the attached bathroom. "Commander's orders."

Adam smirked. It drove him wild when Jason pulled the 'Commander's orders' thing. He sighed as he walked to the door.

"Yes sir!" he said with a mock salute.

Adam waited for the sound of the sonic shower to start and crept over to the door. He poke his head in the doorway.

"By the way, I've already talked to the Captain and she said that we could take the time that we needed to get things in order. No chance of getting out of it this time."

"I wasn't the wanted out of it you big goofball," Jason snapped, stepping into the stream of nearly scalding water. "You're the one that refuses to do a lot of the planning."

"Love you! Mean it!" Adam said as he ran out of the room to wake up Tavi.

"Love you too!" Jason shouted back.

OFF:

JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Lieutenant JG Adam Townsen
Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Vosh
Junior Staff

Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:12 pm

<<Starbase 422>>
<Promenade, 1300, Day 1>

Trace was amazed at how many people and shops that they managed to cram on the station. It vaguely reminded him of Starbase 386; although this one appeared to have a larger promenade. Both he and Ryan (NPC) had been wondering around the station for the past several hours. They had seen several other members of the Malinche crew and even had a run in with Jason, Adam, and Tavi. The youngest looked to zipping around the promenade with an abundance of energy.

"I'm starting to think that there isn't anything this place doesn't have," Ryan stated, indicating a Maran artifact shop. "I had no idea that the Marans were so business minded."

"I think its fair to say that some are," Trace smiled. "Do you want to go inside?"

"Sure," Ryan shrugged. "But after that we need to get something to eat...I'm starting to get a little starved."

Traced nodded and headed toward the shop. Once they were inside the smell of incense wafted gently through the air; Trace couldn't put his finger on what the smell was although it reminded him of a campfire. The shop was larger then it looked outside. Tapestries lined the walls and there were shelves filled with artifacts of all sorts.

"Wow, Maran looks pretty peaceful," Ryan said, stopping to look at a picture of a massive lake that was surrounded by lush forest. "Have you ever been there?"

"To Maran?" Trace asked. "Not yet, although it is on my list of places to visit."

Truth be told after listening to Jason, Adam, and Joey talk about it he wanted nothing more then to visit Maran. It would have to wait for a moment, mainly because they were pretty far away from the Republic and he wasn't sure when he would be able to take a long enough leave to actually get there.

"Mine too," Ryan smiled. "Wow, look at these things!"

Trace turned around and saw what Ryan was looking at. Mounted on the wall were various weapons; most of them swords or blades of some sort. The blades were all made of what looked like crystal and the polished chrome handles gleamed under the soft lighting of the shop. They looked pretty extremely fragile but Trace knew from experience that despite their rather fragile looking nature they deadly weapons.

"Firesabers," Trace said, looking at the display. "Jason has one that he has used in the holodeck on occasion, its pretty impressive to watch."

"I bet," Ryan said.

They looked around for a few more minutes before heading out of the shop and toward the food court area. By now Trace's stomach was growling equally hard.

"What are you feeling like for lunch?" Trace asked.

"I have no idea...just something to eat."

"Hmm," Trace said, looking at the various food places. "What about Cardassin?"

"Sounds good to me."

OFF:
Ensign Trace Vosh
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Barrett
Senior Staff

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:23 pm

<<Starbase 422>>
<Promenade, 1200, Day 1>

Jason, Adam, and Tavi (PNPC) had spent the better part of the morning wandering the starbase and looking at what it had to offer. They had spent the better part of morning at a museum that outlined several pieces of Maran, something that Jason hadn't seen since he left Maran. The moved onto a small clothing dealer and bought Tavi a few new items, including shoes that he actually promised to wear.

"This place is so big!" Tavi said, dashing ahead of both Adam and Jason to look at the map that showed where the shops were.

Adam smiled at Jason, "Yes it is but you've got to be careful. It'd be easy for you to get lost around here."

"Slow down there sport," Jason said. "We've got all day to look around."

Adam walked over to the map and tousled Tavi's hair, "Why don't you see if you can find a nice place for us to grab some lunch." Adam looked over at Jason and narrowed his eyes. "We haven't even gotten around to what we're really here for."

"And what is that?" Jason asked, feigning stupidity.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about you big galute! We still have to finalize the invitations. I'm sure there are other things we could take care of too. That's the most important though."

Jason had to suppress a smile; Adam had been going on and on about the invitations for weeks now and truthfully, he probably should have paid better attention then he did. He could really care less about the invitations, the only thing that he cared about was really making Adam happy. And he knew what invitations did that.

"Already ordered," Jason said.

Adam's face drooped, "You did what?"

"I know, I know, you wanted to talk about it more but I went with the ones that you really liked...the ones that I was less then enthusiastic about."

"Jason! Why did you do that? You know that I wanted us to agree to all of this. We're going to have to remember this day for hopefully a very long time. I don't want you do regret anything."

Jason shrugged. "Because its what you wanted and I knew that it would make you happy."

Adam shook his head slightly, "I don't know what I'm going to do with you Mr. Barrett. Every time I'm about ready to chop your head off you do something like that. You know, you don't have to do everything just to please me. I want you to be happy too."

Jason shrugged again, as long as he had Adam and Tavi with him, he couldn't be happier. Jason grabbed Adam and pulled him in for a kiss, dropping his voice to that low husky tone that drove him nuts.

"Oh I am happy, all I need is you, remember."

A shiver ran down Adam's spine. Jason knew that he couldn't resist when he poulled out 'the voice.' He ran his hand down the side of Jason's face.

"Oh you are a bad boy." Adam said returning the passionate kiss.

"Ugh, guys do you think that you could stop making out in the middle of the promenade," Tavi said. "Besides, you should see all the neat places that they have here to eat!"

Adam disengaged from Jason and nodded his head looking from Jason to Tavi with a smile.

"There are a lot of choices and I say the choice is all yours. You've been doing great with your school work and are getting along rather well with everyone on the ship."

"He's right about that sport," Jason smiled. "Its splurge time, you can get whatever you want to eat this entire shoreleave."

"Really?" Tavi asked.

"Really," Jason said. "You get Joey anything yet for being your best man...and I suppose we should get him something since technically speaking, he his Tavi;s godfather as well."

Adam groaned, "Oh no! I knew that I was forgetting something. I've been so wrapped up with those silly invitations I completely forgot that I needed to get my best man something and you're right, we probably should get something for him since he is a godfather now."

Adam sighed over-dramatically, "Well I guess you're just going to have to help out with that too tornado. You think you can handle that?" Adam winked at Jason with a big grin.

Truthfully speaking it had taken a lot of debating on who they were going to settle on for a god father for Tavi. They both agreed right away that captain Kersare would make the perfect god mother but neither were sure who should be the god father. Jason had suggested Joey at first, although he was only being half serious. There was something about putting Joey in charge of a child that was slightly humerous.

But the more that they both thought about it, the more sense it made. He was friends with both himself and Adam; Tavi seemed to get along great with him and despite his outward behavior sometimes they both knew that he could be very caring and loving when he wanted too be.

"Hey, its Joey get him something shinny that will distract him for a few hours and I think that we can call it good."

Adam leveled a look at Jason, "I think not."

"I was kidding," Jason smirked. "I should really let you flounder around on your own, I already got Captain Kersare her present."

"Gee thanks, I can really feel the love." Adam said as he playfully whacked the back of Jason's head with his hand.

"I was just kidding," Jason said.

"Can I help pick something out for Joey?" Tavi asked.

"I think its only fair," Jason smiled. "Do you have any idea about anything that he would like?"

"He's stating to collect old firearms," Tavi said, eyes scanning the map. "Hmm, looks like there is an antique shop on the second level."

"You are something else tornado. I think we'll keep ya around after all." Adam said with a smile as he placed his hand on Tavi's shoulder.

"Wow, he's good," Jason smiled.

OFF:

A JP By:

Lt. (JG) Adam Townsen
Medical Officer
USS Malinche

And...
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Vosh
Junior Staff

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:39 pm

<<Starbase 422>>
<Promenade, 2100, Day 1>

"I'd really prefer to stay in my quarters you know," Ryan Morris (NPC) huffed as Joey (NPC) and Trace dragged him along the promenade. Truth be told he was looking forward to a night in, he had a few books that he wanted to catch up on and then turn in early. But neither Trace or Joey was apparently going to have any of that.

Joey rolled his eyes, the last thing that a man that nearly died needed was to stay cooped up in his quarters all night long. As soon as they docked, Joey had started looking at the local night life and was happy to find that there were a variety of clubs and bars that they could visit. He knew that his companions could use a night off since their last mission.

Joey was dressed in the latest fashion; including clothes that outlined his athletic frame well. Both himself and Ryan were dressed similarly, although not to the extent that Joey was. His shirt was practically painted on him. Not that he couldn't pull it off because everyone knew that he could.

"Don't make me order you to have a good time," Trace said, as they rounded a corner. "And don't think that I won't either."

"I had a feeling you were going to say that," Ryan groaned. "And I know that you will, where are we going anyways?"

"I have no idea," Trace shrugged. "Joey is the mastermind behind all this, I'm just the muscle to drag you down here."

"Oh har har," Joey snapped. "You forgot brains and great looking."

Trace shook his head, there seemed to be no limit to his ego. Although some might have found it more then annoying, Trace actually found it amusing. Joey knew he was good looking and good at what he did and had a tendency to broadcast it to a certain degree. Although Trace had never seen him really display out and out arrogance.

They took another turn before coming out into a larger area of the promenade. Looking around Joey spotted the club that he had found on the ships database last night. It was two decks tall and even from outside they could hear the sound of fast paced music. Species of all sorts were seen milling about the area. Joey smiled and beckoned them forward.

Trace smiled as they entered the club. There was a large dance floor that was filled with species from all over galaxy. Booths surrounded the dance floor and a bar was situated in the right corner. Lights flashed and pulsed and Trace was vaguely reminded of a dance club that Lilana had once visited on Earth.

"It doesn't look so bad does it?" Joey asked.

"No, it does not," Ryan said, his eyes following an Bajoran waitress as she walked past. "But I already told you I got a girl."

"I don't," Joey smiled. "At least not one on this starbase yet."

"Please tell me he is joking," Trace said, as they made their way toward a booth. Trace took note that eyes turned their way as the three of them waded through the crowd. Trace smiled slightly, remembering how much Lilana loved that sort of attention. He wasn't ashamed to admit that he sort of enjoyed being looked at like that as well.

"I wish that I could tell you that he was," Ryan sighed, as they sat down. "But I am afraid that he's not. Jason always said the Malinche would be easy to find, just look for the trail of wrecked girls and you'll zoom in on Joey."

"I am offended by that comment," Joey said, as the waitress came over.

"Notice how he doesn't deny it though," Ryan pointed out.

Joey shoot them an evil look as they ordered. She returned a moment later with their drinks.

"To an evening of fun gentlemen," Joey said, rising his glass to toast both Ryan and Trace.

OFF:

A JP with:

Joey Summers
Operations Officer
Played By: Jason Barrett

&
Ensign Trace Vosh
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:39 pm

ON: <<Starbase 422>>
<Promenade, 1730, Day 2>

Adam and Jason stood on the Promenade waiting for Aaron and Mike to join them for an evening out together.

Adam had suggested the idea to Jason and he agreed that they all needed to get together outside of work and have some off time together. Jason had contacted Aaron and Mike and they'd also agreed that it would be a good idea to get some downtime together.

"Are you sure this is such a good idea?" Jason asked, tugging at the collar of the shirt that both Adam and Tavi (PNPC) had picked out for him. It was a little disturbing that Tavi was as fashion forward as he was, given the fact that he spent the majority of his life with monks.

Adam sighed, "Stop messing with your collar and yes it is a good idea. If you and Aaron don't get away from your work when you actually have the chance to you're both going to explode."

"You know, maybe we could convince them to try out that ice cream parlor we found yesterday," Mike (PNPC) suggested as he and Aaron made their way along the Promenade toward where they had agreed to meet up with Barrett and Townsen for dinner. It had seemed like a perfect opportunity for all four of them to get off the ship and, as Mike and Townsen had both agreed, to get Aaron and Barrett away from their work for the evening.

Jason knew that part of the reason for eating on the promenade was so that Adam could get both him and Aaron off the ship for awhile. Despite his best efforts, it seemed like he had dived right back into work the second day of their shoreleave.

"Don't worry about it good looking. You and Aaron will do just fine and the ship and all your work will still be there when we get back. It's just a few hours. I think both of you will survive that."

"Says you," Jason responded. "Look, here come Aaron and Mike."

Sure enough, Aaron and Mike crossed the last dozen or so yards separating them from their fellow Malinche crewmembers in a few brief seconds. "Good afternoon, gentlemen," Mike said, sounding a bit more formal than he usually did, "Are we ready to begin?"

Adam being a good sport said, "Yes I believe we shall begin. After you gentlemen." He said waving his hand forward overly formally with a smile.

Jason rolled his eyes as he followed Mike and Aaron into the restaurant, Adam close on his heels. They hadn't picked some place that was overly fancy, for one Jason didn't really do overly fancy and he had a feeling that Aaron and Mike didn't either. The waiter showed them to their table.

"So, enjoying your shoreleave so far?" Jason asked.

Aaron shrugged as he started to look over the menu selections. "I suppose that all depends on your definition of 'enjoying'," he replied, pausing to give Mike a look, "There are some people who would prefer to think that I haven't enjoyed myself enough yet, seeing as how I've had quite a bit of paperwork to go through since we got back from the Badlands...and I'd be inclined to agree with them." A small smile appeared on his face as he looked down at his menu. Mike had opened his mouth to interject something, but the twist ending to Aaron's response had surprised him.

"Sneaky," Mike said, shaking his head. He picked up his own menu from the table and started to look over his options.

Adam looked up from his menu and narrowed his eyes at Jason, "That sounds all to familiar."

Jason rolled his eyes, he was well aware of the fact that Adam thought that he spent too much time working and not enough time relaxing.

"The captain really needed me to get through some things," Jason said. "I'm surprised that she let me off the ship at all really."

"Pft, if I hadn't cleared it with the Captain I would've never gotten you off the ship the first day we were here." Adam smiled, "I had to switch to my," he wriggled his fingers like a magician at Jason, "devious tactics."

"Devious tactics?" Jason asked, quirking an eyebrow. "Would those be same devious tactics you and Joey used to crash that Beta Sigma party back at the academy?"

Adam opened his mouth to say something and then snapped it back shut. He thought for a moment and then looked up and glared at Jason, "You know I can't say anything about that. Some of those people still aren't retired from Starfleet yet."

"You know...I don't even want to know," Aaron said, shaking his head back and forth at the banter occurring between the soon-to-be-married couple. He had a pretty good feeling that this was something he did not want to get himself involved in. Instead, he decided to change the topic somewhat by saying, "Looks like they're offering a fish fry, Mike."

"Ugh...I still don't think I'm over the last one we tried," Mike groaned, remembering an incident where they had thought they'd been ordering a good, homemade fish fry, only to find out that it hadn't exactly been fish at all. Just thinking about it was enough to make his stomach get a little tense. "I might just stick with something safe...like pasta," he said.

"Who says the pasta is any safer," Jason smiled. His time spent with the Maran Navy and Starfleet had allowed him to sample a wide variety of cuisines and he hadn't found anything that he didn't really like, with the exception of a few Klingon dishes.

Adam looked up from his menu, "Ya know, you can never go wrong with meat and potatoes. Excluding a few less then tasteful meals, the steak and rosemary potatoes sounds pretty tasty. Besides a replicator just can't do steak right."

"Oh come on," Jason beamed. "Where is your sense of adventure....I think I am going to try something Andorian."

“Speak for yourself,” Mike muttered as he continued to peruse the menu selections, “sometimes it’s nice to have something a little more familiar.” It wasn’t that he didn’t like trying a new dish every now and then, but when you ordered one thing and ended up getting something completely different…that was something different.

"I agree with Mike," Adam said looking at Jason, "sometime it's nice to have something for dinner that didn't come from a replicator and you're able to actually recognize on your plate."

Jason shrugged. "My mother and father had me trying new things all the time, I am sort of hoping that we can continue that tradition with Tavi."

"I don't have a problem with that, in fact I think that's a great idea, but we both agreed that we were going to keep the talk about Tavi to a minimum. I'm sure that the entire crew is tired of us both going on ad nausium about the tornado."

Mike chuckled a little to himself. He'd heard Adam toss around their little nickname for Tavi before, but it never ceased to amuse him for some reason. Maybe it was because he could identify with being an energetic child...he'd certainly never had much reason to sit still when he was younger.

"Anyways," Jason said, sitting down his menu and taking a drink of water. "How did you two meet anyway? And yes I am aware that my husband to be is now giving me a death stare." Jason could practically see Adam face palm himself out of the corner of his eye. Truth be told, Jason didn't really know much about either officer and was going to take the chance tonight to remedy that situation.

Slowly, Aaron lowered his glass back to the table. The question was innocent enough and certainly was not meant to be intrusive in any way. He was pretty sure the commander was simply trying to engage in casual conversation. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Mike glancing in his direction. The two of them had been talking about keeping their professional and personal relationships separate every since Mike had first asked him to see about getting transferred to the Malinche's security department. While he had been extremely reluctant at first, he had to admit that things had not been as difficult for them as he had expected.

"You could say we grew up together," Aaron replied after a moment, "I'd say it was...what...about eleven or twelve years ago. We lived in pretty much the same area, went to the same school..."

"...were both on the swim team," Mike added with a smile, "Aaron was always the one who made sure I didn't get myself into too much trouble."

Jason had to smile at that comment; when he met Adam and Joey on the USS Hale he was the one getting them out of the trouble. He knew that both Adam and Joey had gotten into a fair amount of mischief at the academy. "Sounds like two other officers I know," Jason smiled, looking at Adam.

Adam glared at Jason over the top of the glass of water he was sipping. Joey and himself had gotten into plenty of unusual situations but it always seemed to be that Joey was the mastermind of said situations.

Adam sat down the glass and gave Jason a wry smile, "I blame Joey, he was always the one with the grand scheme. I was usually just along for the ride since the plan usually involved him hooking up with a girl."

"Right, and none of them involved you going after a guy?" Jason asked, rising an eyebrow. "I seem to recall a certain incident with a member of the academy hockey team and you and dance contest, what about you ttwo, what made you want to join Starfleet?"

"Actually, I'd have to blame Aaron for that one," Mike said before Aaron could reply, "None of us even knew he was considering Starfleet Academy until a few months before graduation. He was actually a year ahead of me and it got me thinking...so I decided it couldn't hurt to give Starfleet a try."

OFF

A JP by:

Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Lieutenant JG Adam Townsen
Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Security Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

N'rass
Senior Staff

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:47 pm

<Promenade, 1930, Day 2>

L'Randil walked along the promenade among the bustle of the crowd, glad to get away from engineering repairs for a while. When she got to the holosuite operator, she found an agent and approached him.

"How can I help you...Miss?" The ferengi greeted, apparently taking in the impression of her felinoid face.

"Do you have any flight simulations?"

"I do. My most popular is an old Earth war simulation. I honestly don't know what the fascination is of it but it is nevertheless popular. War is good for business then."

"Sounds good. Sign me up." L'Randil said with an upbeat sound.

"Suite 2, then. Whenever you want it, the traffic has been low today." He said as she turned toward the entrances. "I would suggest a partner if you have one. No extra charge today." He said with a wink.

"I'll see what I can do. Fire it up in the meantime."

He nodded as she walked away. It took a moment for the caitian to think of who she could get to join her, then Maggie happened to walk by. Recognizing the familiar face of her shipmate she tapped the human on the shoulder lightly.

"Hey, M...Maggie? That's your name isn't it?" L'Randil stammered. "You look like you could use something to do and I need a holo partner. How 'bout it?"

"Yes that is my name". she replied. "Well I did just get done my shift and have nothing to do". she said. "What exactly do I have to do?" she asked nervously.

The caitian smirked. "Come to think of it, you are human...from Earth, right? I was going to do a simulation of the time period of the second World War." L'Randil started walking through the hallway with Maggie following her. "The details are a bit uncertain until we get there, but you can be my co-pilot."

"Well I have nothing else to do". she said. Maggie followed L'Randil wondering what she had gotten herself into.

Once inside the dull gray room lined with glowing grids, the engineer said a simple "Computer, Begin simulation. Two players, flight suits."

The dull walls changed, immersing them in a world with warm wind and glowing sunlight. The palm trees and flower printed shirts on some of the people seemed to indicate that they were on Hawaii or another pacific island. L'Randil looked at Maggie with a nod at her outfit. "We should go to the hangar and get ready. Something tells me this is going to start soon."

Maggie went along with L'randil and did what she was told. She looked around nervously and was hoping this would be fun.

"How's it going in there?" L'randil asked as she leaned on the door of the locker room after getting done.

"Its going good, I think" she said with a anxious tone.

They walked out to the dirt airfield where a series of fighters and bombers were lined up being prepared for use. "That one looks good. Number two, a Dauntless. Not the fastest but its tough and has a copilot position." She looked at her partner and pointed to the ladder when they got close.

Maggie pulled herself up the ladder and into the gunner's seat at the back of the cockpit. L'Randil leaned on the edge on her elbows.

"Well here goes nothing" she said as she sat down in the seat.

"That's your arming lever, that switch selects automatic or single shot. Any questions?"

Maggie shook her head no and watched Lrandil's movements closely.

The engineer could tell her partner was new to this form of endeavor, so she smirked and patted her on the shoulder. "All you have to do is keep us from getting shot at, I'll do the rest."

"That is easier said than done" she replied. She wasn't sure she could handle keeping them from getting shot at.

L'Randil stood up and pulled her flight suit straight as she walked the couple steps up the wing to the cockpit. Her hip gave her a twinge of pain as she hoisted herself into the seat, settling slowly.

About that point, a tall man rushed up the wingwalk to the cockpit. "There's a wave of Japs coming in from the north. We have to get to them before they get to us. I know they just love to see all you rookies as targets but prove em wrong!"

"Will do, Sir!" L'Randil laughed with a salute. He hopped down and the ground crew motioned for startup and checklists.

She looked back to her gunner and motioned for the headset. It was awkward for the caitian's ears to wear them but it was needed amidst the noise.

"Here goes..." the pilot stated with a smile.

Maggie handed the headset to L'Randil and took a deep breath. She felt kinda nauseated and unsure of what to do if something went wrong.

She put them on as the engine slowly turned the propeller around grudgingly. Eventually it ignited with a cloud of smoke and a roar of motion resonating the whole aircraft. The feeling made the engineer smile a large smile but she was not sure the feeling was shared.

The squadron reached ready status one by one, then they followed the lead of the commander. It made the woman wonder what kind of nerve it took to face these odds for real. A small unit defending the atol against a large force of invaders.

"Bring on the action..." L'Randil said rhetorically over the intercom. Maggie heard but only smirked.

To be continued...

A JP by

Maggie Nolan
Civilian Services
USS Malinche

and
Lieutenant JG L'Randil N'rass
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Mon May 02, 2011 4:11 pm

ON: [[Promenade, Starbase 422, Shoreleave Day 04, 1522]]

Only four days into shoreleave and already Mike (PNPC) was starting to feel a bit restless. There really wasn't much for him to do aboard the Malinche while they were in dock, aside from the ocassional security patrol. Most of the extra time was being put in by the department heads and senior officers who were still trying to understand exactly what had happened during their previous mission. Mission and personnel reports had been keeping Aaron busy ever since they'd arrived at Starbase 422. It had taken quite a bit just to convince him to take some time off so they could go on that double date with Commander Barrett and Lieutenant Townsen.

Mike looked down at the half-finished glass he was turning slowly in his hand. While he had hoped that the opportunities for shoreleave aboard Starbase 422 would have meant the chance to spend some time with Aaron, he also knew how seriously Aaron took his responsibilities as the Malinche's Chief Security/Tactical Officer. Aaron had always been the one to put more attention and focus on his studies than some of the crazier adventures the rest of their teammates had taken part in.

"...so then this fleety shows up and starts going on about how we've not adhered to proper security protocol and how he'll need to see our permits," a gruff-looking man was saying just a short ways down the bar from where Mike was sitting, "as if he owned the place or something...and I tells him, I says...I've been working this run for fifteen years and ain't nobody ever asked me for no permits."

A woman seated nearby shook her head back and forth. "I can't believe you did that, Frank" she said, clucking her tongue disprovingly, "Doesn't matter if he was a fleety, he could have..."

"...done just about diddly squat from what I was seeing," the man named Frank replied, slamming his fist on the bartop, "They ain't got nothin' but kids in those uniforms these days. I doubt the runt would have had the guts to do anything more than put me up on report. Can't even remember what he said his name was...Mitts...Mutts...Mutters..."

Though he hadn't intended on it, Mike found his attention being drawn into the conversation taking place only a few feet away, casually listening in as the civilian tradesmen vented their frustrations over a drink or two. It wasn't that unusual to run into civilian pilots and space traders who didn't exactly get along with Starfleet. At the same time, he was starting to get the feeling they weren't talking about just any Starfleet officer.

"Lieutenant Masterson," he said, almost automatically correcting the trader's failed attempts to summon the correct name.

The man named Frank exchanged a look with the woman seated next to him before glaring in Mike's direction. Instead of appearing disappointed or even frustrated with the interruption, he seemed almost pleased that he had managed to draw the attention of another young Starfleet officer. "What did you say," he asked in a low voice.

"I said his name is Lieutenant Masterson," Mike repeated, setting his unfinished glass down on the bartop and turning slightly so that he was facing the two traders, "and I'd appreciate it if you would show a little respect..."

"Respect...hah," Frank chuckled, "I gave that mutt more respect than he deserved. He had no right to question me like that. You kids got no business wearing that uniform if they only thing you think it's good for is to push honest working people like myself around. Won't be long now before they're sending you lot out in diapers...though from the looks of it, I'd say Muttson already was."

Despite his best efforts, Mike could feel himself becoming more and more angry with this man's derogatory references with each passing moment. "I'm not asking, mister," he said cooly, "Either you knock it off with the commentary or I promise you..."

"What," Frank asked, his eyes narrowing, "Going to have me reported just like your friend Muttson? Not that I'd be surprised really, that's all you fleet types ever do...report things." The man let out another chuckle as he exchanged a look with the woman seated next to him. "Now that I think about it, what's your interest in all of this, fleety," he asked with a sneer, "Is Muttson your boyfriend or something?"

Mike had heard enough. Regulations and professional image didn't mean anything at that point if all it meant was that this trader was able to say things like this about Aaron and get away with it. "As a matter of fact, he is," Mike replied.

Before either one of them could react, Mike lunged forward and tackled Frank from his barstool. The momentum carried both of them into the nearest bulkhead. Already, the other patrons began to gather round as Mike felt one of Frank's elbows connect with his jaw.

[[Chief Security/Tactical Officer's Office, USS Malinche, Shoreleave Day 04, 1640]]

Aaron continued to stare at the lines of text on the PADD he had been given by the station's chief of security. It was bad enough that he had to learn of a disciplinary incident involving a member of the Malinche's crew, worse when he learned that Mike had been the individual in question.

He looked over to where Mike continued to stand at rapt attention in front of the desk, eyes fixed on a point somewhere behind him that probably didn't really exist. There was a large, purplish bruise just under Mike's left eye and he could see a bit of dried blood where Mike's lip had been split open. Aaron was certain there were other bruises as well, injuries that were not immediately visible.

"Would you mind telling me exactly what made you decide it was okay to get yourself into a drunken brawl, Mister Kepler," Aaron demanded as he looked up from the PADD. The harshness of his own tone caused him to wince inwardly. He never wanted to be one of those officers who was always yelling derisions at those under their command, but at the same time, he was extremely disappointed with what he had just read.

Mike continued to stare at a point on the bulkhead somewhere behind Aaron, trying his best not to make eye contact. He knew what he had done probably hadn't been the best course of action and, to make things worse, had put Aaron in an extremely awkward position. "I was provoked, sir," he replied curtly, putting emphasis on the final word, "and it wasn't a drunken brawl, sir."

"The two of you were in a bar and the report indicates that the freighter captain had consumed a considerable amount of alcohol," Aaron said slowly, confused as to how Mike could have allowed a civilian tradesman to goad him into a fight, "How exactly did he provoke you?"

"He...insulted you, sir," Mike answered.

Raising an eyebrow, Aaron looked down at the results of the station security chief's report again and frowned. "We can't allow ourselves to be strung along by any old drunken pilot we cross paths with," he admonished, "Starfleet expects more of us...you should know better than that."

"Permission to speak freely, sir," Mike inquired, adjusting his stance slightly, but not allowing himself to relax or to make eye contact with Aaron.

Aaron considered the request for a moment. He was certainly disappointed enough that a part of him considered denying the request, but he realized that doing so would mean that he would be treating Mike differently than any other officer under his command. "Go ahead," he said, letting out a short sigh.

"The man may have been drunk, but he knew exactly what he was saying," Mike explained, keeping his eyes fixed on the imaginary point behind Aaron, "People like him always have a bone to pick with Starfleet, I get that...but there was no reason he should have been talking about you like that."

"They were just words," Aaron observed with frustration, "As soon as he realized that what he was saying was making you upset, he took advantage of that, intentionally tried to provoke you into doing something you would regret. You said that he knew exactly what he was saying. Well, you knew exactly what you were doing and you played right into his hands."

There was a moment of silence as Aaron paused to allow his words to sink in. He turned his gaze toward the scene outside his office viewport in the hopes that it might help him to calm his own nerves a little bit. As frustrated as he was with this whole situation and the position he had been put in, it would do him no good to go flying off the handle about it.

Slowly, he let out another sigh as he rubbed the back of his neck with one hand. "It seems like I really don't have any other choice at this point," he said slowly, "I'm going to have to report this to Commander Barrett."

"I understand, sir," Mike replied crisply.

Aaron brought his attention back to where Mike continued to stand at full attention before the desk. It pained him to see the dark bruises and cuts on Mike's face, but it was also his place to see that the situation was dealt with according to Starfleet procedure, not his own personal feelings. "That will be all," he said with a hint of disappointment, "Dismissed."

Turning on his heel, Mike marched himself right out the door without giving Aaron a second glance. He knew that he had put Aaron in a difficult position and that Aaron was just doing his job. Starting down the corridor, Mike began making his way back to his own quarters, hoping that he hadn't just delivered the final stroke to his own career...or Aaron's.

OFF

A Joint Mission Post by:

Security Officer
USS Malinche

Frank (NPC)
Civilian Freighter Captain
Unnamed Civilian Freighter

and
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Thu May 12, 2011 10:02 am

ON: [[Ready Room, USS Malinche, Shoreleave Day 05, 0930]]

When Aaron emerged from the turbolift, a single PADD in his hand, he was not at all surprised to find the bridge staffed with a minimal crew. The damage sustained as a result of their conflict with the Mirror Universe vessels during their previous mission necessitated that the Malinche remained docked with the station while engineering teams worked on completing repairs to the ship. Still, the minimal staffing made the room seem somewhat larger and less alive than when they were under normal operations.

Turning away from the main area of the bridge, Aaron began making his way over toward the ready room doors. He was somewhat hesitant to bring a situation like this directly to Captain Kersare's attention, but as he had been unable to locate Commander Barrett, the captain was the next officer in the chain of command. Aaron paused just before the doorway and took a deep breath before reaching out with his free hand and activating the door chime.

Isabel glanced up briefly from her console as she heard the door chime; she'd been going over her report regarding the Malinche's previous mission as well as notes from Security regarding Setak. Later that day, Setak would be meeting with admiralty to discuss his situation and she planned on being there. "Enter."

The door parted with a faint hiss and Aaron paused on the threshold of the doorway, taking in the amount of work that already seemed to be taking up the captain's time. "I apologize for the interruption, ma'am," he said, "If this is a bad time..."

Shaking her head, Isabel said, "No, it's fine Lieutenant. Come in...have a seat." In a smooth motion, she slid the PADDs she'd been referencing off to the side. "What can I do for you?"

Aaron took another couple of steps forward until he was standing directly in front of the captain's desk. He held the PADD he had been carrying so that it rested against his chest, facing inwards so that it was not visible to anyone else. "Ordinarily I would bring something like this to Commander Barrett," he continued, hoping it would explain his reasoning for interrupting the captain's work, "but I'm afraid I have been unable to locate him."

Isabel nodded, "Lieutenant Commander Barrett has been transferred off the Malinche...as well as Ensign Vosh, Lieutenant JG Townsen, and Lieutenant Steele, I'm afraid. I was only notified this morning. Did Ensign Vosh mention his transfer to you?" It was certainly normal for subordinates to notify their superior officers of transfers, however, nothing seemed normal about these particular transfers. She'd had to find out about them in the daily reports.

"I'm afraid he did not," Aaron replied slowly, momentarily distracted from his original intent by the sudden revelation. It seemed unusual that Starfleet Command would order four simultaneous transfers without giving the commanding officer or department heads any sort of prior warning.

"Well, I suppose we'll have to sort it out while the Malinche's being put back together," Isabel replied, frowning slightly. It would be nice if StarFleet would actually inform her of these things before they happened. At this point, she'd certainly like to know who the replacements would be. 'In any event...you had something to report?"

"Yes, ma'am," Aaron said, reluctantly turning his attention to the reason for his visit. He glanced down briefly at the PADD he was holding against his chest before holding it out for the captain to take. "I'm afraid there has been a disciplinary incident involving a member of the Malinche's crew and a civilian freighter captain aboard the station," he continued, not entirely sure what the captain's reaction would be when she saw which member of the crew it had been.

Isabel watched Aaron silently for a few moments, noting his reluctance. Of all the things she needed, a disciplinary incident was not one of them. Especially not when she'd just found out she lost several key members of her crew. Taking the PADD from him, she tapped at the screen and brought up the information. As Isabel finished reading through the report, she turned her attention back to Aaron, eyebrow raised slightly. "When was this brought to your attention, Lieutenant? Have you spoken with Ensign Kepler?"

"I received the station security chief's report yesterday afternoon, ma'am," Aaron replied succinctly, "and I spoke to Mister Kepler about two hours after the incident."

Nodding, Isabel asked, "What did he have to say about it, and what are your thoughts?" She knew she was far from impressed that Mike had let the freighter captain draw him in and that it had happened at all. The only good thing, in a way, was that he was being loyal and standing up for his crew mate. Granted, there was more to it than that, but Isabel also couldn't entirely blame him for wanting to defend Aaron.

"Mister Kepler was aware of the consequences of his actions when he made them," Aaron explained, "I made it clear that Starfleet expected more of its officers, that I expected more of those under my command...and that he knew it." He paused and looked to the captain for any indication as to how she might be reacting to the situation. Based on the conversation they had had when he first inquired about bringing Mike aboard, he had a feeling they were on shaky ground at best. "I...I informed him that I would be reporting the incident to Commander Barrett," he continued, "and that I would leave the decision regarding appropriate discipline to him. Seeing as how the commander is no longer with us..."

"Right. What steps, if any, have you taken thus far? Is Ensign Kepler still on duty?" Isabel wanted to be sure to get a full feel for the situation before making her decision. Aaron seemed to be a bit nervous, but in her opinion he had no reason to be. For the moment, she decided to keep her thoughts to herself, so she could simply explain them in full at the end.

Aaron shook his head slowly from side to side in response to the captain's question. "He wasn't scheduled for duty today," he clarified, "and I wasn't sure what would be decided regarding disciplinary procedure, so I've had him confined to quarters for the duration of the day until something more appropriate could be decided."

Isabel considered the situation before her for several moments before responding, "I'm certainly very disappointed to hear that this has happened. As you noted, StarFleet expects more from its officers and this certainly shows StarFleet in a poor light. Ensign Kepler obviously had a lapse in judgment that I can't simply ignore. I will be placing an official note on his Service Record, he will be barred from leaving the ship for the duration of Shoreleave, and he will be confined to his quarters for an additional three days."

Slowly, Aaron nodded to show he understood the captain's decision. It was certainly an appropriate punishment, given what Mike had gotten himself into, and he anticipated little difficulty in seeing that the captain's orders were carried out.

Handing out punishments was not something Isabel enjoyed in the least. Unfortunately, she had to do it, especially considering her current lack of an Executive Officer. In her time as Commanding Officer she'd handled worse situations though. And in this case, Aaron had taken the initial steps. "I realize this can't be easy for you, Lieutenant, given the circumstances, but I appreciate the way you've handled the matter. As far as I can see, you've been professional about the situation. I hope that it doesn't cause too much strain on your relationship," Isabel said sincerely. Once she finished entering her disciplinary orders into the PADD, she handed it back to her Chief Security/Tactical Officer.

"Thank you, ma'am," Aaron said, taking the PADD as it was offered to him. The fact that she had recognized his unease with the situation and given support to his actions thus far helped to assuage his concerns a little, though he'd feel much better once they were able to put the entire situation behind them. "I'll see that this this is taken care of right away," he continued, referring to the orders he now held in his hand, "and I apologize for any interruption I may have caused."

Isabel nodded, "Of course, Lieutenant." As he stood, she stood as well and added, "No need to apologize. My crew and my ship are my top priorities, so if something is needed, that's what I'm here for. Obviously I prefer visits of a more pleasant nature, but that can't always be the case. If you need anything, especially in light of the recent transfers, please let me know."

"Yes, ma'am," Aaron replied, showing that he understood. Satisfied that the purpose of his visit had been achieved, the Malinche's security chief turned on his heel and disappeared back out onto the bridge.

OFF

A Joint Mission Post by:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche

and
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

N'rass
Senior Staff

Fri May 13, 2011 9:57 pm

<Promenade, 1930, Shoreleave Day 3>

The squadron was small but the planes were clean and well kept. For the technician-pilot it was a little reassuring. She did not know how many enemy planes were approaching, but this smelled of a Kobyashi-Maru scenario either way.

After a few moments of flying, the pilot turned back to her gunner and asked over the engine noise, "How ya doing back there? You seem a little quiet".

"I'm okay." she said nervously. "This is all new to me and I'm a little scared." she replied. "Any tips to help me relax a little?" she asked the pilot.

L'Randil smirked. "The fear means you take it seriously, that's not a bad thing because the enemy wants to kill us. If you see any green planes or red circles, fire away. Don't let up til you see smoke."

"Whatever you say partner." she replied. I will fire until they blow up.

<Back in the lobby>

"Can I help you, Miss?" The ferengi shop owner asked.

"I need a combat holosim. Preferably flying." Roen asked.

The ferengi nodded with a smile. "Popular thing today. If you go to suite three you can join a session already in progress."

"Sound's good." The bajoran said with a game-on smile.

Back in the Dauntless, the human and caitian were unaware they would be joined by an experienced opponent.

"I have visual" L'randil said over the intercom. "Ten fighters, it looks like."

"Confirmed, red seven." The wing lead replied. "Hold formations until signaled.

"Roger." a few other voices replied.

"Roger that" Maggie replied quietly. As they took an engagement position, she kept looking around. As L'Randil homed in on one, the gunner found another. She shot at the plane until it started to smoke and fell out of the sky. "Well that was scary" she said with a nervous tone.

"Good shootin. Keep em falling!" L'Randil said enthusiastically over the intercom.

Roen's Japanese Zero and a few accompanying fighters were waiting above the cloud ceiling. Once the formations broke into dogfights, she rocked the wings to visually signal them to engage from above.

"Oh no" Maggie said in shock. "There are two planes coming in behind us". She was nervous and excited at the same time. "What do I do?" she asked.

"Oh goody." L'Randil grumbled. "As if we don't have enough of them.

"Hopefully we get them, Ma'am." she replied.

"Brace yourself." The pilot shouted above the noise. "I'm gonna see what these two are worth."

"Ok, I am ready to go." she said with an anxious tone.

She pulled hard on the stick in a slight side motion to make the plane pull into a very hard wingover-loop. L'Randil grunted a little at the realism of the gravity forces, so she wondered how her gunner was doing. At least the move was able to loop around behind the diving attackers.

"How are ya holding back there? Inertial dampers sure are a nice touch."

"I'm doing good." she said with a smile. "This is a lot of fun, Ma'am." she said. She enjoyed this more than she thought she would and hoped it wouldn't end for awhile.

"Haha" L'Randil laughed over the noise of the plane. "It gets better, just keep takin those shots."

:OFF

A Jp by

Maggie Nolan
Waitress
USS Malinche

and
Lieutenant JG L'Randil N'rass
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 am

ON: <<Starbase 422, Promenade, Day 5 1315hrs>>

The Promenade of the Nor class station bustled with activity as Setak, flanked by Isabel Kersare and Sirak of Vulcan made their way through the morning crowd. His pace slowed as he took in the unimaginable sights around him, he had been on similar stations in his past but none which had been commercial centers. When he had learned that the Starbase was of the Cardassian design when the Malinche arrived nearly a week earlier he had expected to find the typical mining operations that the facility had been intended for but what he was witnessing was far grander.

"Captain," Setak uttered with amazement, his eyes darting around briskly. "I've never seen the like..."

Isabel nodded slowly, "I suppose there aren't any converted Nor-class stations in the Mirror Universe..." That wasn't particularly surprising. And honestly, the Nor class stations had seemed odd to her at first, though by now she was much more used to them. "Had you seen a Nor-class station in the possession of the Cardassians?" She glanced over at him before indicating that they needed to turn down a corridor.

Setak raised a brow at Isabel as he turned with her down a corridor, "Where I am from, I doubt there are any such stations in the possession of any faction other than the Alliance."

That certainly made sense to her. Why would the Terrans of his universe have control of a Nor class station? Isabel imagined many things in this universe were foreign to the Vulcan.

"Captain," Setak started as he gathered his thoughts. "I'm not sure what to expect and I'm not sure where this interview will lead but I want to thank you before hand, for your patience and guidance. I never expected to end up in a situation like this and I doubt that you had either."

Isabel's pace slowed slightly as she looked over at Setak, "You're welcome, Doctor. I don't think anyone expects to be in a situation such as this, but we have to do our best with what we're given." Really, the same could be said for the situation with Derek (NPC). Strange how life could be at times... "There will likely be quite a few questions for you, so I don't imagine it will be a quick process. I cleared the rest of my day though, so I'll be there the entire time." She wouldn't be entirely surprised if questions were asked of her as well.

As the officers slowed and approached a door in the empty corridor Setak concluded that they had arrived. He had faced many dangers during his life as a slave to the alliance but few had produced the level of anxiety within him that he had begun to experience. He looked to Sirak covertly and surveyed her steely expression; there was much that he still wanted to experience, to learn. After a nod from the captain and a deep breath Setak strode forward into the room.

<<Starbase 422, Auxiliary Ward Room 2, Day 5 1330hrs>>

An older gentleman with greying hair stood near one of the large viewports running along one wall of the station's auxiliary ward room. It had not taken him long from the time he first received word of the Malinche's engagement with vessels from the Mirror Universe to arrive at Starbase 422. Starfleet Command took encounters with alternate universes very seriously and none moreso than those with that which had become known as the Mirror Universe.

Slowly, the admiral turned toward the two individuals who had just entered the room. He took only a moment to survey each of them before giving a silent cue to the two security officers standing on either side of the door that they could relax...slightly. Regardless of whether or not he currently perceived any sort of threat from the two individuals standing opposite him, experience had taught him never to assume anything. There was certainly no reason for him to take any unnecessary risks at this point.

"Captain Isabel Kersare, Commanding Officer, USS Malinche," he said, identifying the woman in Starfleet uniform before turning his gaze on the Vulcan standing next to her, "and Mister Setak."

It was to be expected that the Captain's superiors would have received a full report of the previous weeks events but hearing the elder Terran speak his name sent a shiver up Setak's spine. The Vulcan mustered a slight nod at the acknowledgment of his presence before looking to Isabel briefly. What was it, he wondered, that made the Humans so intimidating? Setak had faced many leaders from races far more imposing yet the Terrans of power in this universe had an edge to them that he hadn't been able to identify.

Isabel didn't recognize the Admiral before her. However, she wasn't surprised that he knew who she was...and, most likely, she would know him as well if she knew his name. In her nearly seven years as a Commanding Officer she'd never dealt with alternate universes or time incidents and had therefore never gone through a process like this. Though she didn't know what to expect, Isabel knew that all she could offer was the truth as far as she had seen. Glancing over at Setak, she wondered what was going through his mind.

"I'm sure you both know why we're here, so I will not waste any time in getting to the point," the admiral told them, motioning to the two open chairs across from where he was currently standing, "Have a seat."

"Thank you, Admiral," Isabel replied, giving him a slight nod as she took the seat on the left. The man had surely read her report, so there seemed no point in saying anything further. Instead, she'd wait for him to ask what he wanted. Or perhaps he would start with Setak. Her eyes slid to the security officers in the room - apparently StarFleet was being cautious, not that she could blame them.

Following the Captain's lead Setak took a seat next to her while keeping his eyes on the elder man. He would answer any questions to the best of his ability but having no sense of the Admiral's motives or agenda left the Vulcan nervous. Everyone had an agenda, why should these Terrans be any different? Would he be locked away or taken to a secured facility for further questioning? In the end, he had to trust what he had read of the alternate reality and the word of Isabel Kersare.

"Starfleet Command is understandably concerned by the information contained in your reports, captain," the admiral said, indicating one of the PADDs lying on the table before him, "the active presence of vessels from the Mirror Universe operating in our own is a disturbing notion. The fact that they destroyed an entire colony world, even more so. Have you any theories as to how they might have made the passage from their universe into ours?"

"If I may," Setak interrupted the Captain as she was about to begin. "Strictly speaking, I was not a member of the Alliance, only a slave to one of the Commanders who brought us here. However, due to my close proximity to my master I overheard conversation of a device allowing multi-dimensional travel. I only know that it made use of an artificial singularity and that a way had been found to pinpoint specific points within the multiverse to travel to."

Isabel raised an eyebrow slightly as she glanced at Setak through her peripheral vision. Amer had been much more vague in his explanation and Setak hadn't exactly offered the information to her before. Not that she'd asked, but still. She had known they must have come across some specific way - their mission had been to test out the device, so they would've needed a reliable way to get to where they were testing... Deciding to let the Admiral choose where to take the conversation, Isabel said nothing and waited.

The admiral studied Setak as he considered the Vulcan's interjected response. There had been nothing in the Malinche's reports or the initial debriefing that even remotely hinted at what had just been revealed. "Are you saying that the Alliance has developed a method of crossing entire starships between universes," he asked, seeking to confirm that he understood what the Vulcan was telling him.

"From what I understand yes," Setak continued without hesitation. There was no use in being evasive, it would gain him nothing. "The technology used to get us to your universe was a prototype but its seems to have worked. Legate Pernal, the commander of the expedition, was tasked with the trial runs of the device and had it installed on his command cruiser. I assume that it was destroyed with his ship."

"You assume, but can you be certain," the admiral inquired, his gaze fixed on the Vulcan seated before him. Up until the Malinche's encounter with these Mirror Universe vessels, the only way for anyone to cross over between the two universes had been by transporter, the incident involving the Bajoran Wormhole notwithstanding. If the Alliance had developed a way of crossing over entire starships, Starfleet Command would have good reason to be worried.

"If the command cruiser was indeed destroyed by the Malinche then yes, I am certain." Setak paused and glanced at Captain Kersare. "The device was not portable and required an external fitting. Beyond that I'm afraid my knowledge is limited."

Isabel nodded, "As I noted in my report, the command cruiser was destroyed. The vessel being used by Roen Amer was destroyed as well - though it was set to self destruct." As limited as Setak's knowledge was, hers was far more limited as far as this particular piece of information. "You should be able to speak with Mr. Roen about it, though I'm not sure how much the Alliance trusted him, considering they left him to die."

"Duly noted, captain," the admiral replied. It was no surprise that the Alliance had programmed one of their own vessels to self-destruct. Such a technological advancement could not be allowed to fall into the 'wrong' hands and scuttling a vessel was one way of making certain that didn't happen, especially if it was supposed to have taken the crew with it. "Your report mentions engagements with several vessels, captain," he continued, looking from Kersare to Setak, "are there any vessels which were unaccounted for?"

"One, sir," Isabel replied. "The first vessels we encountered ended up retreating once we destroyed one of their ships...the second time we encountered them, there were three ships. One we destroyed, one was destroyed via self-destruct, and the third was able to get away. Unfortunately, the Malinche was in no condition to go after them at the time." Actually they were lucky to have survived the second encounter at all.

Setak shifted in his seat uncomfortably, having been absorbed in finding a cure to his pathogen he wasn't aware that an Alliance task force vessel had survived the conflict. The possible ramifications began to shift through his mind at lightning speed, "Captain, which vessel escaped?"

Taking a moment to remember the name of the vessel, Isabel then turned to Setak and replied, "The IKV Ranet...Vor'cha class." She studied him a few moments, wondering what had spurred the question. Someone the Vulcan cared about? Someone he feared?

"Gul Yornal's ship," Setak stated plainly. His posture eased slightly, it was doubtful that Pernal had survived but he couldn't be certain. As long as the Ranet was at large he could never be fully at ease, he knew too much and if at all possible the Alliance would find him. "With the command cruiser destroyed they will be trapped in this universe just as I am, cut off from central command there's no telling what they might do. Yornal is intelligent... And patient."

"A single starship deep inside what could be perceived as enemy territory," the admiral observed, his suspicions confirmed, "While it is not an overwhelming threat, it is a concern nonetheless."

After a few moments of silence, Isabel spoke up, "Of course. If I may, sir, Mr. Setak has offered to cooperate and answer questions as best he can. Between him and Roen Amer, you may get more information. Obviously their situations are rather different..." Amer had, after all, fired upon the Malinche with the Rakatel; Setak had been with the Alliance ships and had helped develop the weapon they were testing, but had also saved a member of her crew.

"I would be very interested in hearing more about what Mister Setak has to say about this situation," the admiral said, carefully laying the PADD he had been reading from back on the surface of the table, "The reports you have provided Starfleet Command were quite thorough, captain, but as I am sure you can imagine, we have many questions that still need to be answered. As for Mister Roen..."

Isabel nodded, "Of course, sir." It was no surprise that StarFleet had a number of questions - she still had questions for that matter. At some point she would also have to bring up the issue of asylum, but for the time being continued on with the Admiral's line of questioning. "Once we arrived, Roen Amer was transferred to the starbase's brig, Admiral." Isabel waited to see Setak wanted to add anything or what direction the Admiral would take the conversation.

"If I may," Setak started slowly. "I am not well acquainted with Glinn Roen but I do know that he had a reputation for being an effective commander. A lot of trust was placed with him and he must have earned that trust somehow, the alliance does not give it freely. I would not think that much faith could be put in any information he divulges."

"Thank you, Mister Setak," the admiral said quietly, considering all that had been said thus far, "I will be sure to keep that in mind. You are both dismissed."

Setak nodded, somewhat surprised by the closing of the conversation. He had expected the meeting to last far longer than it had, instead of relief at its ending he felt a distinct lack of closure. Where he had hoped for some sort of clue as to what would be done with him he had received only more questions, he was still at the mercy of the Terrans. The Vulcan stood in tandem with the Captain and after a polite nod to the Admiral he turned to leave.

As the doors slid closed, the admiral's attention turned to the information on the PADDs that were arranged neatly before him. He had learned a great deal from his brief conversation with Captain Kersare and Mister Setak but, although it had given him a somewhat clearer picture of the situation, he knew that his work on this case had only just begun.

OFF: JP brought to you by:

StarFleet Admiral
played by: Lt JG Masterson

and

(Provisional Lieutenant) Setak
(Chief Medical Officer)
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:10 pm

ON: <<USS Malinche, Ready Room, Day 5, 1010>>

The ship was rather quiet as Nora made the short trip from her quarters to the bridge. No doubt many of the crew members were making the most of their shoreleave, as well they should in her opinion. She crossed the bridge with a smile for the handful of crew members she recognized, and then pressed the door chime once she reached the Captain’s ready room.

Aaron had left not too long ago and Isabel was back to reviewing the report she had submitted when she heard the door chime. After slightly turning the console, she set the PADDs aside and said, "Come in."

“Good morning, Captain,” Nora said as she stepped inside. It had been far too long since they’d had a chance to chat, either professionally or simply as friends, and she was glad she had caught Isabel on what appeared to be downtime. “How are you today? Surviving all the paperwork and repairs from our mission, I hope?”

Isabel nodded, "So far, though it seems to have been a long few days..." Pausing, she gathered her thoughts and started ticking items off on her fingers, "Let's see. I had to fill out and turn in my report regarding our mission, the mirror universe ships, Mr. Setak and Mr. Roen. I have a meeting scheduled for later today to meet with the Admiralty about it with Mr. Setak. I found out that Ensign Vosh, Lieutenant JG Townsend, Lieutenant Steele, and Lieutenant Commander Barrett have transferred - and not from them, mind you, but from StarFleet. And just a short while ago I was informed that one of our security personnel was involved in a bit of a fight on the Starbase."

As Nora took a seat across from Isabel, she shook her head slowly. “That’s a fair amount to deal with, I’d say,” she said somewhat incredulously. Suffice to say, she did not envy Captain Kersare at this moment. It was surprising to hear that Towensnd, Steele and Barrett had all transferred. She’d never had a chance to meet Ensign Vosh, but she had known the others well enough to know that they’d all be missed.

“So you’re without an executive officer, and Sickbay is without another crewmember,” Nora sighed. “Oh, Isabel, I am sorry that you have so much to deal with. Is there anything that I can do to help? This being shoreleave, I do have some free time on my hands,” she smiled.

Isabel gave Nora a small smile, "I was starting to get used to having new officers assigned with little notice, but I must say that having several key members transferred off the Malinche is something new to me. While we're on shoreleave there hopefully won't be too much to take care of - just department reports and repair progress reports mostly. If you could help me monitor those it would be appreciated. Also, as you're Second Officer, you'll technically be Acting Executive Officer until a new one is assigned."

“That’s right,” Nora said, her eyebrows slightly raised. She had never expected to hear something like that in her career in Star Fleet. “I honestly hadn’t thought of that. I’d be happy to help you monitor those reports. Gell (NPC) and I have postponed our meeting, so I’ll certainly have the time.”

"I appreciate it Nora," Isabel replied thankfully. Of course, she'd already known she could count on Nora. "So you've postponed your meeting? Any particular reason?"

Nora only wished that she could cite one reason in particular. She’d had plenty of conflicting feelings on the matter over the past few days. “At the risk of sounding like a coward, I’ve come to the conclusion that it simply isn’t time yet. Gell needed to perform some sort of an important surgery on Betazed, and it would have cut into the time we had to get to know one another as it is. I suggested that we meet in person another time, and we agreed to stay in contact for the meantime.”

It had been a difficult decision for Nora to make, especially when she had come so close to actually meeting Gell in person. In the end, though, she felt somewhat relieved that she had bought herself some more time. Maybe she was a bit of a coward after all, she thought to herself. “To tell you the truth, Isabel, I just can’t help but feel that there’s something—or rather, someone—else out there for me. I may be wrong, but I’m not ready to agree to this arranged marriage until I’m sure it’s what I want. Or until I decide that it’s right for me, at any rate.”

Nodding, Isabel said, "That's certainly understandable. At some point, though, you should probably at least meet him. Even if you don't marry him, he may turn out to be a good friend. Or perhaps you'll decide to give him a chance. Regardless, you won't know til you've met him." Though she did really believe in the advice she was giving, Isabel didn't want to force it on her friend. It was Nora's decision. "Do you have plans for shoreleave, other than helping me out some?"

Isabel’s advice was greatly appreciated, and Nora took a moment to mull it over before the Captain asked about her plans for shoreleave. “I haven’t planned anything very exciting,” she admitted with a wry smile. “Julie (PNPC) has talked me into some sort of a mountain climbing program on the holodeck. I have my misgivings about the idea, but I’m sure it will be good for me to try something out of my comfort zone.” It wasn’t that the Betazoid didn’t enjoy the outdoors; she simply preferred to enjoy the beauties of nature when she wasn’t hanging from some sort of rock face.

"Well, it sounds like it could be rather exciting. Better than just working or staying in your quarters, certainly." Pausing for a moment, Isabel asked, "Have you had a chance to speak with either of our...guests...from the Mirror Universe?"

Nora shook her head. “I can’t say that I’ve had the opportunity yet.” It was a very intriguing—and clearly very complicated—situation. Nora had heard something about the Vulcan doctor from Julie, and she knew that he had saved the life of a crewmember. That, in her mind, did say a little something of his character. “What can you tell me about them?”

Allowing herself a few moments to gather her thoughts, Isabel replied, "Setak seems to genuinely want to be here rather than in the Mirror Universe, though I'm guessing that he's not very popular with the Alliance right now and would likely be killed or at least held against his will if he went back. Obviously if he were to get asylum he'd have to adjust to life here, which is quite different from what he's used to. I have to give him credit for saving the Security Officer's life, though. As far as Amer...well...to be honest, I don't trust him. He tried to convince me he's really from this universe and was captured and sent to the Mirror Universe, but I don't believe it."

From what Nora knew of the Mirror Universe, she could well believe that Setak did genuinely prefer to remain in their universe. She wasn’t sure what to think of this Amer, yet she was inclined to readily believe in Isabel’s instinct on the matter. “A story like that does sound suspicious. Has anything been decided on their future here?”

"Setak and I are meeting with an Admiral later today, though I believe that a hearing or discussion regarding his request for asylum will be taking place soon as well. As far as Amer...that will essentially be up to StarFleet once they've talked to him. Since his actions were criminal, I imagine he'll end up in some form of court proceedings," Isabel explained.

Threading her fingers together in her lap, Nora nodded. “I suppose that sounds appropriate. Is there anything that I can do to help?”

Isabel nodded slowly, "If you get a chance, you might try to find Mr. Setak and have a chat with him. I think being in our universe has been somewhat unsettling for him as it's fairly different than the Universe he left. He also seemed somewhat unsure as to what he might do here if he's granted asylum..." She would be open to having him on her staff, actually, though that might not be the most popular idea.

“I can well understand that. I’d be happy to meet with him,” Nora agreed. Her willingness to meet with him was more than purely professional. She could only imagine what he must be feeling now, and she knew that if she were in his place, she’d be feeling rather unsettled and unsure herself. “Will you let me know how your meeting with the Admiral goes?”

"Of course," Isabel replied, nodding. "I hate to cut this short, but I need to finish preparing. I'll be sure to catch up with you later though, Nora. If you have a chance to talk to Setak or to look over any reports, you can fill me in later as well." She smiled at her friend; while the Malinche wasn't in the best of circumstances at the moment, she knew she could count on Nora.

“That sounds perfect,” Nora replied, rising from her chair. It had been pleasant to meet with the Captain, even briefly, and she was already looking forward to their next opportunity to catch up. “Perhaps we can visit the starbase together when you find some free time.” Returning Isabel’s smile, she added, “Good luck meeting with the Admiral. I’m sure it will all turn out well in the end.”

Isabel stood as well, "I would like that. And thank you, I appreciate it. Things will turn out how they're meant to, I'm sure. In the meantime, it'll certainly keep things interesting."

OFF:

A JP brought to you by:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A