Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Zeral
Senior Staff

Re: Mission 18 - Putting the Pieces Together

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:32 am

ON:

<< Starbase 422, Holodeck 3, Day 10, 1325>>

For the third time since she’d arrived at the holodeck doors, Nora asked the computer for the time. She frowned at its prompt response, wondering how Julie (PNPC) could have forgotten about their planned outing. It had been her friend’s idea for the pair of them to try out a mountain climbing program of Julie’s design while they both had freetime over shoreleave. Although Nora hadn’t seen Julie very much over the past few days, she had assumed that the medical officer was as excited for the outing as ever. It seemed very strange that she was now a no-show, particularly when Nora knew that Julie was generally a very punctual person.

Nora exhaled slowly, trying not to worry overly much. There was sure to be some simple explanation, and they could always try the program out on the Malinche’s holodeck sometime in the future. As she absentmindedly paced before the doors, the Betazoid decided to wait for a few minutes more just in case Julie did turn up, albeit half an hour late.

James had been walking around the starbase, happy to finally be able to relax. The last mission just about killed him, in a joking sense. He wanted to touch base with the Captain on further instructions on repairs, but instead decided that he needed a little rest and relaxation. As he walked by Holodeck 3, he saw a slightly aggravated Nora waiting by the holodeck doors. Concerned over the well-being of his fellow crewmates, he casually walked over to her. "Lieutenant Zeral, are you okay?"

Nora was a little startled when she was pulled out of her thoughts by an inquiring voice. Turning to greet the owner of said voice, she smiled when she recognized one of the Malinche’s crewmembers standing before her. “Oh, I’m quite all right, thank you,” she assured him, her previous agitation disappearing for the moment. “I’ve just been waiting for a friend. I have to confess that I’m a little worried since she has yet to show up, but I’m sure I’m overreacting. It’s Ensign Davis, isn’t it?”

James smiled, "Yes, I'm the Assistant Chief Operations Officer." James gave a slight bow to the lieutenant. "I'm sure your friend will arrive. Maybe she got caught up on something and forgot to tell you she was gonna be late." He smiled at Nora, hoping it would put her at ease and calm her down a little. James gave a small chuckle, "It happens to me sometimes. Friends want to join me on a starbase to catch up on old times after I've completed a mission and always seem to get caught up on their own work or mischief."

“Julie can be a workaholic at times,” Nora said, nodding. She knew that Julie certainly wasn’t the mischievous type, at any rate. Whatever her reasons were for missing their appointment, the counselor decided to simply let it be for the moment. It was always nice to make a new acquaintance, and James seemed to be a very pleasant sort of person.

“Well, whether she makes it or not, it’s nice of you to distract me,” Nora laughed softly. “Our missed appointment might be a blessing in disguise, at any rate. My friend wanted me to try my hand at mountain climbing on the holodeck. I'm all for trying new things, but I think I'd rather enjoy a program where I'm not hanging off the side of a mountain or cliff,” she chuckled.

"But, mountain climbing is so much fun," James said with a grin. "It tests your endurance, reaction time, mental strength, and your intuition skills. It's the perfect way to see if you can master the elements and overcome your fears, if you happen to have a fear of heights of course." James was no stranger to mountain climbing, whether it be in real life or just a holodeck program. Hopefully James didn't scare or bore her with the details.

"Not to mention, it beats just walking around the ship doing nothing," James said with a long sigh. "I've done all I could with the repairs on my end and needed to get out." He could tell the lieutenant's stress level was slowly lowering. It looked like she needed someone to ease her troubles. "If it's not too much trouble, I could wait here with you until your friend arrives."

His enthusiasm for mountain climbing was a little infectious. “You do make mountain climbing sound exciting,” Nora smiled. “Where I grew up on Betazed, there were all sorts of beautiful woods and hills, but no mountains. I guess I’m accustomed to standing on my own two feet when enjoying the beauties of nature,” she explained. “It sounds like I’m in for a treat when I do get the chance to try mountain climbing out, though.”

After glancing down the corridor and still seeing no sign of Julie, Nora turned back to James with a soft smile. “I’m doubtful that my friend is going to arrive at all, seeing as she’s nearly forty minutes late, but I do appreciate the company. In fact,” her smile turned a little wry, “I should probably take this opportunity to ask you how the repairs in your department have gone.” As the Malinche’s Acting Executive Officer, Nora had been overlooking department and repair progress reports over the past few days. It seemed like an ideal time to briefly check on the progress in Operations, seeing as she was currently speaking with the Assistant Chief of Operations.

"Where do I even begin? I've been helping the Engineering department in repairing most of the power and auxilary systems as well as the defense mechanisms and warp drives. It's been non-stop for what seems like forever. I really needed to get out and get some space. I was told to get away before I lost my mind," James answered with somber tone. "I do know that you are the acting Executive Officer, so I hope me being here isn't making you think I'm neglecting my duties." James regained eye contact with Nora and prayed in his mind that he wasn't getting himself in trouble.

In addition to his words and his body language, Nora picked up on his sudden concern and worry through her senses as well. “I don’t think that at all,” she assured him warmly, sorry to have made him so uneasy with her query. She chuckled a bit before adding, “In fact, it sounds to me like you’ve been working very hard and have earned a break. I wouldn’t want you to lose your mind, after all."

James exhaled a sigh of relief. All his troubles faded from his mind as he smiled back at Nora. "Thank you, ma'am. I have the tendency to overload myself with work. I just love to keep busy, but I overload myself too much ninety percent of the time and I guess I'm wearing myself out. Call me a workaholic, I guess," James chuckled. It was good to see that now three members of the Malinche now knew how he worked and basically had to tell him to go rest or go take a break.

“Whoever told you to take a break was very wise, then,” Nora replied amiably. “But it’s good to know that the ship is in good hands, particularly when she needs such extensive repairs.” She had been somewhat surprised when she had seen to what extent the ship had been damaged in their last mission. The technical aspects of the ship were fascinating to her, but with her mind often on the Counseling Department and its different concerns, she didn’t always pause to consider just how much work was needed to keep the ship in good working order.

Shifting her gaze down the corridor once more, Nora gave a resigned sigh. “Well, I think it’s safe to say that my friend isn’t going to make it. I’d better give it up as a lost cause.” The Betazoid was feeling more puzzled than anything over Julie’s absence now, truth be told. “Thank you for distracting me,” she smiled as she turned back to James. “I’ll have to give mountain climbing a go the next time Julie is free to show me the ropes, so to speak.”

"Anytime, lieutenant and trust me on this, you will love the mountain climbing. It's a good workout and you'll feel great afterward," James said with a warm smile. He saw the look of concern on her face. He felt bad for Nora, knowing her friend probably was never going to show up. He was glad to help keep her distracted, but at the same time, he felt like he should do something. "If you'd like, I can assist you in the mountain climbing."

Tilting her head slightly to the side, Nora considered his friendly offer. While she had not been particularly thrilled at Julie’s mountain climbing idea initially, she had to admit that Ensign Davis’s enthusiastic endorsement of the sport did make it sound more appealing. With a slightly teasing smile, she asked, “Are you sure you're up to helping a novice such as myself? I wasn’t joking when I said that I probably won’t be very good at it,” she laughed.

James gave a quick grin and nodded, "I'd be more than willing to help. I'm no master at the art of mountain climbing, but I'm pretty close." James flashed another smile. He was thrilled at the idea of teaching a superior some of his skills. He knew he'll have to be patient with her, due to her inexperience. But he also knew that after the program was completed, he would feel better about himself, knowing he did a good deed. "I'm sure you'll do fine," he said, "Once you've learned everything, you'll be able to show off your skills to your friend the next time you guys decide to do this."

Nora chuckled, sure that he was being overly optimistic—she wasn’t at all convinced she’d have much skill to speak of when she and Julie climbed together—but she had nonetheless been won over by his cheerful attitude. The holodeck was reserved for the next little while as it was, and there was no point in letting the reservation go to waste. Besides, she discovered that she was feeling a little adventurous at the moment. “All right then, Ensign,” Nora smiled, “you’ve convinced me. Lead the way.”

James gave a friendly smile and turned to the holodeck computers. He started to speak, but just remembered something. Nora had made the reservation so she would have to be the one who accesses it. He turned back to her and grinned, "I do believe that this is your reservation and since I was raised properly, ladies first." James bowed and made room for the lieutenant to pass by. "I'll follow you in, then let the fun begin!"

OFF:

A JP by:

Ensign James Davis
Assistant Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Setak
Crewmember

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:33 pm

ON:

<<Starbase 422, Promenade, Day 6, 1425>>

In an effort to ward off a strange feeling of restlessness, Nora had made the short journey from the Malinche to Starbase 422 in hopes that she could relax a bit and ease her mind. After walking a ways along the Promenade, she decided to peruse some of the smaller shops. One shop in particular appealed to her, which seemed to feature various odds and ends for sale. On a small table was a collection of trinkets and charms, some that were rather run-of-the-mill, but others that were oddly unique. She took her time as she looked them over before one item in particular caught her eye.

It was a very small replica of a chameleon rose, carefully painted so that its petals appeared to be changing from white to purple. Nora smiled as she gently picked it up to examine it. The craftsmanship was really quite remarkable, the likeness uncanny. It had been a long time since she’d seen a true chameleon rose in bloom, and the little trinket inspired happy memories of her native Betazed. Very much interested in purchasing it, she turned to find the shop owner only to bump into a man she hadn’t noticed before standing near her.

Since her hold on the small rose was delicate and loose, she fumbled with the object for a moment and very nearly dropped it. Catching it back up just in time, she sighed in relief before facing the man she’d run into with an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry to have run into you. I really should have been paying closer attention. I guess I was too caught up in the thrill of my find,” Nora said, her tone light.

"No need for an apology," Setak muttered sarcastically as he gawked at the inky green Denobulan spiced tea soaking into the fabric of his newly purchased silk tunic. "I just hope that you aren't seeking a career in medicine, with dexterity like that you'd make a lousy surgeon."

Caught in the moment he had not thought to look up before speaking and after meeting the gaze of the woman standing before him he wished that he had, "you are..?"

Nora raised her eyebrows at his response. She couldn’t fault him for his annoyance, which she not only heard in his voice but could also tangibly sense. She was about to assure him that she had meant no harm when she noticed the growing stain on his tunic. “Oh, no,” she sighed, quietly dismayed by the harm she’d caused to his clothing. “Gods, I hope that will wash out.”

She raised her eyes back up to meet his, noting for the first time that she was speaking to a Vulcan. “I’m Nora Zeral. I’m a counselor aboard the USS Malinche.” Unable to help herself, her lips twitched slightly as she added, “So I’m afraid that I’ve already sought a career in medicine, just one that doesn’t require much dexterity, thankfully.” Her face fell somewhat when she looked again on the blossom of green staining his clothing. “I really am terribly sorry,” she said sincerely. “If that unfortunate stain doesn’t come out, I hope you’ll let me pay for a replacement, Mr…?”

"Setak," the Vulcan replied vacantly, as if distracted. He had known at once that he had seen the woman before even if only briefly, she was indeed an officer aboard the Terran vessel Malinche, not just any officer but the very one that Captain Kersare had suggested he meet. He had not intended to follow the advice but it seemed chance had other plans for him, "I suppose that it was a waste of Latinum at any rate seeing as how your people can 'replicate' whatever it is that they desire, on demand. "

So this was Setak, their guest from the Mirror Universe. Nora had been hoping to meet with him, but preferably under slightly better circumstances. “Replicators are rather versatile,” she agreed with a nod. She had never really considered that the Mirror Universe would be lacking technology that was so commonplace in her own universe. It did make one think. “Well, it’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Mr. Setak. How are you enjoying your time on the starbase?”

The Vulcan wasn't immediately sure how to respond to the counselor's question as he had never really thought in terms of enjoyment or fulfillment. "The truth is that I am not sure what to think or feel about any of this," Setak replied in a slightly raised tone with a sweeping gesture of his hand. His annoyance had quickly turned to agitation and his posture became rigid, his eyes probed the room finding several of the other patron's attention on him. "Perhaps we should walk..."

“All right,” Nora said, setting down the trinket she’d been holding. At the moment, she was more concerned for her new acquaintance than she was eager to make any purchases. Besides, she could always come back for it later. Following Setak out of the store, she let him set the pace as they proceeded along the Promenade. She could readily sense his confusion over his situation, which was fast turning into frustration and anger. Nora could only imagine how lost and uncertain he felt. For better or for worse, his life had been irrevocably changed. That would be a hard pill for anyone to swallow.

“Mr. Setak, I don’t want to bombard you with questions about how you’re feeling,” she began, treading carefully. “If you would like to talk about it, however, I do think that it will help. I know the basic facts about your situation, such as where you’re from and how you got here, but I’d be interested in hearing some of your story in your own words. Whatever you’d like to talk about, though, you have my full attention,” she smiled softly.

Setak had done more talking over the previous week than he had in over a decade, he had explained himself to Captains and Admirals but after all of that he realized that he hadn't opened up about his emotional state. The very notion amused the Vulcan enough that a slight smirk formed on his lips and he began to slow his pace as his nerves calmed. He didn't want to explain himself a third time but there was something about the counselor’s demeanor that suggested that she cared, that she genuinely wanted to hear in his words how he had come to be there.

"You have to understand that I've never had to make decisions for myself," Setak stated plainly. "I've always had an objective and clear priorities set; research was my world and if a decision didn't involve the experiment then it was not mine to make." The Vulcan paused and laughed quietly to himself, "it seems ridiculous that such a simple thing as finding a path can be so difficult."

“Well, not if it’s never been a priority for you before,” the Betazoid suggested. She was pleased that he seemed to be loosening up a bit, and the fact that he was electing to speak with her at all was promising. She did truly want to help him, even more so now that she’d actually met him and gained a few first impressions of his character. “The chance to find new goals or a new life path entirely may sound ideal to some, but I’d imagine that it seems very daunting in a situation like yours. Perhaps you could still continue your research. I’m not sure what your research and experiments entailed, but brilliant minds are needed in this universe as much as the next.”

Setak slowed again as the guilt that had become his ever present companion returned to the forefront of his consciousness, he had tried to put his research out of his mind and for a time had been successful. He didn't know how many lives the alliance had taken as a result of the pathogens he had developed over the past decade, he didn't want to know, it was all he could do to live with himself with the question unanswered. The counselor meant well but she had inadvertently opened a wound that had only just begun to scab over; no, Setak could not let himself gloss over his past with a fresh start, he could only work toward redeeming himself.

Almost immediately after she’d spoken, Nora could tell she’d said something wrong. The guilt he was feeling as a result of her suggestion was nearly staggering, and she regretted her mistake, however innocently it was made. Clearly his research was not a source of pride for him, but exactly the opposite. She wished now that she’d been more prepared to meet with him, for her blunders were causing no end of trouble today, it seemed.

"I don't need a path," Setak spoke remorsefully, whatever levity had been in his voice before had gone completely. "I need a cause counselor."

Nora sighed softly, nodding her head. She was quiet for a few moments, considering his words carefully. “I understand that you saved the life of one of the Malinche’s crewmembers. I don’t know what your motivations were when you did so, but regardless, it was a heroic act. Clearly you have the capability, the power to heal, Mr. Setak. I believe that using your talents and abilities as a physician to help and heal others would be a truly worthy cause, if that is something that you desired to do.”

Setak had to admit that the idea of saving lives to make up for those he had by proxy taken seemed logical, it might not prove to be enough to erase his guilt but it was certainly a worthy cause. Captain Kersare had suggested the same thing aboard the Malinche before they had arrived at the Starbase, it seemed that she had made a good point, one Setak should have listened to.

"I think I do desire that," Setak spoke quietly, some of the confidence returning to his voice. "But I shouldn't get ahead of myself, for all I know at this juncture your Federation and Starfleet will find some way to send me back."

After some of the somewhat tense moments she’d experienced in her encounter with Setak, Nora was comforted to sense the Vulcan beginning to find a glimmer of hope for the future, however small. He did desire to find redemption, to make a new life for himself, even though it was a daunting and uncertain task. She didn’t know what was going to become of him, since his future did seem to lie in the hands of Starfleet’s admiralty, but she hoped he would get his chance at a new life in their universe.

“I should hope not," Nora said sincerely. "What are your plans, then, while you wait to hear from Starfleet?” She knew that he didn't seem to be a great fan of plans at the moment, but she hoped that he had something to occupy his time while he waited to hear word from Starfleet.

"I've been reading," Setak started. "Studying the history of your Federation and learning as much as I can about reality here. I figure that I should be as prepared as possible should I be allowed to stay."

Setak had given the counselor a half truth, being prepared for what was to come was prudent but he was also utterly captivated by the foreign reality. Should he be sent back to his own reality, the information that he could return with might prove invaluable there. Either way, the Vulcan was preparing himself to do whatever was necessary to avoid becoming a slave once again.

Nora nodded, silently approving of the activity. If she were in his shoes, she knew that she would do the same. She had enough questions about the Mirror Universe as it was, so she could only imagine how eager she’d be to learn all about it if she were ever caught in that world. Of course, that was one scenario that she sincerely hoped never became a reality.

They had made a complete circle along the lower Promenade, and Nora came to a stop beside her companion. “Well then, Mr. Setak, if you ever find that you have any questions, or if you simply want to talk again, I hope you won’t hesitate to come and find me.” Their meeting had been interesting, to say the very least. Nora didn’t want to overwhelm him with her presence, particularly when he had so much on his mind, but she did hope that she’d get to meet with him again at some point in the future.

Setak thanked the counselor and as he watched her walk away he found himself disappointed that the encounter had ended so abruptly. He hadn't expected that discussing his feelings might shed new light on the questions that he had been mulling over since arriving aboard the Malinche and having begun to open himself up he didn't want the revelations to end. Perhaps it was the company that helped ultimately, he was beginning to grow accustomed to the random encounters and with each meeting he was feeling less apprehensive. Perhaps, Setak decided, he wasn't so alien to the denizens of the alternate universe after all.

OFF:

A JP by:

Lieutenant Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Lieutenant Setak
Biologist
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:43 pm

<Starbase 422, Promenade, Day 7, 1425>

Devon was reporting a day earlier than what his orders said. But he was not going to have a repeat of what happened with his last assignment. The ship almost left the Starbase without him and by the time he had finished his in-processing, it was very late. He went on ahead and reported to the Bridge where he was met by the most ferocious and savage Executive Officer. Sarcasm dripped from her mouth as anger poured from her voice. He was determined to have his in-processing done early so that he could report early and hopefully not get…well, what he got the last time.

Chief Harmon wished the announcement for docking locations had been louder. Granted, he was in probably the noisiest part of the Starbase. But still…. Intent on getting to the right place, he stepped up to the nearest person.

“Excuse me, ma’am? I’m looking for the docking station with the USS Malinche attached. Well, technically, I’m looking for either her CO or XO. I think I heard the ship was at number 2? You wouldn’t happen to know, would you?”

Nora and Isabel hadn’t been on Starbase 422 for very long. Having found a time that suited both of their shoreleave schedules, they had set out together to enjoy the relatively fresh surroundings of the starbase. Making their way along the Promenade, Nora had been about to suggest to Isabel that they stop for a bite to eat when she was politely approached by a man she had never seen before. When she heard that he was looking for the Malinche and, more specifically, the ship’s CO and XO, she couldn’t help but smile at the coincidence of the man running right into the very people he was looking for.

“It’s funny you should ask,” Nora said, glancing briefly over at Isabel. “I’m Lieutenant Nora Zeral, acting XO for the Malinche. And this,” she gestured toward Isabel, “Is Captain Isabel Kersare, the ship’s commanding officer. How can we help you?”

Devon couldn’t believe his luck. He smirked and chuckled a little. Nodding towards his new XO, “Pleasure to meet you, Ma’am. I’m Chief Petty Officer Devon Harmon, your new Chief of the Boat. At least that’s what my orders say. I was just going up to report in.”

“What a stroke of luck to run into us here,” Nora smiled, liking Chief Harmon already. “It’s a pleasure to meet you as well. Welcome to the Malinche.”

“Thanks, Ma’am.” He nodded towards Captain Kersare. “Ma’am, should I just give this to you,” he asked, offering Kersare a PADD with his orders, “or just take it to the officer on duty on the ship?”

Isabel took the PADD from her apparent new Chief of the Boat, sliding her finger along the side to bring up the transfer orders. Her eyes quickly skimmed the contents, "Chief of the Boat and Master-at-Arms, I see." Giving him a smile, she offered the PADD back to him and continued, "Welcome aboard, Chief. Normally I would take these off your hands, but I think it might be good to take it to the officer on duty...which happens to be Lieutenant JG Masterson, our Chief Security/Tactical Officer. I'm sure he'll be glad to hear that he'll have a Master-at-Arms."

Devon grinned, accepting the PADD from Captain Kersare. “Sure thing, Ma’am. I’ll get it right to him.” Lieutenant JG Masterson. Devon couldn’t wait to meet him. It would be nice to get back into the Security game again. His last posting had him pretty much playing CoB and nothing else.

He looked back at the Captain. “I hope I didn’t interrupt your outing, Ma’am. I’d imagine you don’t get much time away from the ship.”

Chuckling, Isabel replied, "You would normally be quite right about that, Chief. This trip it seems I've been going back and forth more than usual... I'm trying to secure us some more personnel, as several were transferred off as soon as we arrived, and I've been in some discussions with Admiralty about our last mission." He certainly seemed to be a personable type, which Isabel was glad to see. It had been awhile since she'd last had a Chief of the Boat and it always helped if the person wasn't entirely crazy.

Devon smiled, “Discussions with the Admiralty are usually interesting, so I hear.” Dropping the smile, he continued, “And I’m sorry about the loss of personnel. A few over a period of time is one thing, but several positions at one time…whew. Oh, speaking of personnel, what is your overall consensus of the enlisted crew? Do you see anyone with potential leadership abilities that we could foster? Or do any of them stand out to you as problems, or needing special attention?” Chief Harmon was trying to get a feel of what the Captain and Executive Officer thought of their enlisted men and women.

Pausing for a moment, Isabel considered her new Chief of the Boat's question. She glanced over at Nora, then turned back to Devon, "Well, Chief, I've not had any particular problems with any enlisted crew for awhile now really. Then again, unless it's something serious I don't always hear about the smaller things, so you may want to touch base with the department heads about that. They would also know more about who is doing best and exhibiting leadership abilities, but I would say that Chief Jol (NPC) in Intel has been doing quite well, as have Mr. Destor in Security, Ms. Dirland in Engineering, and Ms. McKnight in Medical."

Nora considered Harmon’s question as well. “I would have to agree with Captain Kersare. No particular crewmembers come to mind as problems, so to speak. Generally, I’d say that we have a strong crew with several outstanding men and women. Speaking as Chief Counselor, I’d add that Ensign Jacob Trelani (NPC), one of my counselors, also exhibits potential leadership ability.” The Counseling Department was small, and Nora could find excellent qualities in all the personnel, but Jacob did tend to standout in her mind.

Devon nodded and said, “Thanks. That gives me a place to start.” Including the list individuals, of whom he made a mental note, he learned something else very important. The enlisted crew of the Malinche was, at best, a decent bunch. None of them had done anything bad enough to warrant a consultation with the Captain or Acting XO. However, they were right…he needed to meet with the department heads to get more specific information. On the other hand, the ones mentioned had done something to catch the eyes of the Commander and Acting Executive Officer. Chief Harmon would have to get more specifics from their department heads.

“On that note,” he nodded to the two ladies, “if the Captain and Acting XO have nothing else, I’d like to get up to the Malinche, report in, and get started.” Pausing a second, he continued, “Oh, that reminds me. I never did find out for certain where she was docked.” Smiling he said, “Either one of you know, Ma’am?”

"I can't think of anything else right now; I'm sure we'll talk more later, Chief," Isabel replied, offering a smile. "The Malinche is in Docking Bay Four...she's in the middle of some fairly extensive repairs after our last mission, so keep an eye out for the engineers scurrying about." It seemed so long ago since she'd been running around as an engineer - almost like a different lifetime. In a way, it had been, but the multi-tasking experience certainly came in handy as a Commanding Officer.

He smiled, “Thanks, Captain. Until we meet again.” He nodded toward Zeral and smiled. “Ma’am.” With that, Chief Harmon picked up the bag he had set down earlier and headed to Docking Bay Four. He kept in mind about what Captain Kersare had said about the engineers. That must have been some mission.

After watching their new Chief of the Boat walk away, Nora turned to Isabel with a speculative look on her face. “I have to admit, I didn’t realize that a ship’s Chief of the Boat could be so pleasant. In my experience, they rarely are,” she said with a small smirk. Perhaps it wasn't a very fair generalization, but she would never forget some of the other Chief of Boats she'd known throughout her career at Starfleet. They had all been rather...interesting individuals. “I suspect he’s going to be a good fit for the Malinche.”

Isabel nodded, "I think so too. A far cry from Chief Tupalov...he and Hawkins never really got along; plus he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way." The situation had deteriorated to the point that the two were pulling some rather nasty pranks on each other and even got into a fistfight. Neither of them were still aboard for various reasons, though they had been doing better towards the end of their times on the Malinche. "It'll be interesting to see how the enlisted crew take to him."

Nora chuckled, thinking about some of the stories she’d heard about Marco Tupalov. “I never had the chance to meet Tupalov in person, but I’m willing to take your word for it.” Jacob and Myrna (NPC) had gone so far as to warn her, albeit jokingly, about Tupalov when she’d first joined the Malinche as its Chief Counselor. Perhaps it was for the best that she’d never seen him for a psych eval in the end.

“It’ll be interesting to see how Harmon takes to the enlisted crew,” Nora added, turning her thoughts back to their current Chief of Boat. “I like that he’s already taking an interest in the crew. He seems to take his job seriously.”

"Agreed," Isabel replied. "I think they'll respect him and the fact that he takes an interest in them. I'm glad he got transferred to the Malinche; I think he'll make an excellent addition to our crew. It'll be interesting to see him in action, I think."

“Well, care to grab something to eat, Isabel?” Nora was fairly famished now, having inadvertently skipped breakfast that morning in favor of a few tasks she had been putting off. “I’ve heard rumors that the Promenade boasts more than one good restaurant,” she smiled.

Smiling Isabel answered, "I'd love to. If you have one in mind, lead the way, otherwise we can wander around until we see one that looks promising. And if the rumors prove true, it shouldn't be very difficult to find one." The day seemed to be shaping up fairly well thus far and a late lunch with Nora sounded good.

“That’s an excellent idea,” Nora cheerfully replied, and lead the way back along the Promenade.

OFF:

A JP brought to you by:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Chief Petty Officer Devon Harmon
Chief of the Boat & Master-at-Arms
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Davis
Senior Staff

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:28 am

ON:
<Starbase 422, Main Entrance, Day 10, 1102>

After alerting the others of his departure, James made his way to the starbase to begin a lengthy relaxation period. Looking around, he noticed it was a little bigger than the other starbases he'd been to. Nodding his head, he slid his shades on and proceeded to walk around. He could feel his body just wind down, even though he was walking strong and a little fast paced. His mind started to ease from the pain of losing his girlfriend last week. This time frame was just what he needed.

He saw a little cafe-like area about a few minutes down from the main entrance. The food smelled great and he just had to try it out. He ordered a small bowl of broccoli and cheese soup and a large sized coffee and threw it down with much hunger-quenching pleasure. He sat at his table and looked out the window at the stars. He never really paid much attention to anything outside a starbase or the Malinche itself. Removing his shades, he felt mesmerized by the vast space outside. It was a beautiful sight to him. "Wow, I never realized how wonderful the stars looked from all the way out here. I guess I need to pay attention more often," James said to himself as he finished his coffee.

Just as he left, he saw a member of the Operations department who looked as if he was waiting for James. The young man gave him the okay signal in a way that asked James if he was okay. James merely smiled and gave a small salute and walked towards the young man to see if he needed anything in particular. He recognized him as Ensign Barin Nostra (NPC), the Systems Maintenance Officer of the Malinche.

"Mister Nostra, Systems Maintenance Officer if I'm not mistaken," James said to the young ensign. He gave the officer a warm smile to show him that James wasn't going to scold him for leaving the ship without proper clearance.

"Yes sir, that I am. I asked to leave the ship for a while if it's okay," Barin said with nervousness in his voice and posture. He hoped that James wasn't going to chastise him. This was the first time he'd left the ship during any kind of shoreleave so he was new to the experience of enjoying time off after a mission. "I didn't mean to startle you if I did."

James waved off Barin's statement with a quick retort, "Not at all, Ensign and if I may say, calm down a little. Everyone needs time away from work. Besides, I'm just the Assistant Chief of Operations. I'm not the Chief. I do believe that I'm the acting chief but I'm not too sure about that." James laughed a little to give the young man some comfort. "But, as I said, everyone even you good sir deserve some time away. How are you liking the starbase?"

Barin smiled a little at James' remarks. It was good to formally meet a crew member as nice as he was. He straightened himself up and regained his eye contact with the Assistant Chief. "I'm liking the experience. I'm wondering what this base has to offer. If I may ask though, why do you only think that you are acting chief? Wouldn't you say that you were since we do not have an actual Operations Chief?"

James immediately had an answer for that question. "I wasn't formally informed that I was acting chief so I just go about my business as the assistant. I love my job as the so-called backup," James chuckled. I'm on a great ship, we have an awesome CO, and a very well coordinated crew. Best crew ever if you ask me." James sighed happily and stretched his arms out to loosen them up. He looked at Barin and saw that he was more relaxed in the short amount of time that they have been talking. "Here's some advice, Ensign. Just do what you do best and to the best of your ability. Remember that you are but one person. If you ever need my help, just ask and I'll help you the best I can, okay?

Barin nodded in agreement, "Yes sir. Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to talk. I should be going now. There's so much to see." He gave a quick salute to James and waited for his response.

James immediately gave a salute of his own and said, "Anytime, Ensign. Now, go have fun before I put you back to work." James gave a huge laugh at his comment and saw that the young man got a laugh out of his statement as well. James gave a quick nod to Barin and started making his way to the holodecks to see what kind of programs suited his needs.

OFF

This JP was brought to you by:

Ensign Barin Nostra (NPC)
Systems Maintenance Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
played by Ens Davis

and
Lieutenant JG James Walker Davis
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:15 pm

ON: <<Starlight Lounge, Starbase 422, Day 7 0900>>

Setak sat alone at a corner table and watched the crowd in the lounge while slowly nursing a glass of indigo liquid. He had received word only an hour before that he had been granted asylum by the Federation and would not be imprisoned or sent back to his home universe. He was free to do as he chose and with that in mind he was growing anxious to find transport off of the Starbase and to begin his life anew.

The conversations he had shared with the Captain and counselor of the Malinche had been playing through his mind all morning and though he was tempted to seek out the Starfleet officers the idea didn't seem quite right. Setak was many things but a Soldier he was not; he couldn't fathom where or how to begin a life as such and so he had sought an alternative. He had become aware in days prior that most independent ships lacked any sort of medical staff; their private owners incapable or unwilling to pay for such services. Setak was not searching for profit however, simply a place to start over and a way to travel until he found a planet worth settling on. With that in mind, he had set up a meeting with the Captain of an alien freighter that needed a good doctor; with any luck a deal could be struck and the Vulcan could be on his way by early afternoon.

Faldrok (NPC) spotted the out of place Vulcan as soon as he stepped into the lounge. Of course he'd done a little digging beforehand and knew what to expect. Making his way over to Setak, he quickly slid into the chair next to the Vulcan. "Looking for a ride, I hear?"

"After a fashion," Setak replied distantly, though he was not one to judge the Freighter's Captain seemed dubious at best. He knew that he couldn't afford to be choosy; it would take him far more time to find suitable accommodations otherwise. "I'm just looking to get away from here and I'm not sure where I'm going."

"Well, you've come to the right place then. I know where I'm going and will be leaving in the next couple days," Faldrok said. Glancing over at the Vulcan, he added in a quieter tone, "You mentioned some medical expertise?"

"I do," Setak said with a hint of agitation. Setak was less than confident about his new found freedom and was anxious to move on before anyone behind the decision had a chance to change their mind. "I was under the impression that you were set to depart today, I'm not in a position to wait a couple of days."

"I was originally set to depart today, but since I'd be taking you on for free, I need to take on more passengers to offset the additional costs...surely you understand," the Yridian replied soothingly. The Vulcan was beginning to try his patience; hopefully he wouldn't be more trouble than he was worth. Better to find a few extra passengers for the aggravation...he could probably charge double or triple, at least, for having a doctor.

Setak understood all too well, the alien Captain was looking to make a larger profit off of the presence of a Doctor and wanted more time to find customers to bilk. Quickly finishing off his beverage Setak stood abruptly and cast Faldrok a venomous glare, "I don't have time for games, I can find another ship."

The expression on Faldrok's face didn't change at the apparent threat. He chuckled slightly, "And how many other ships do you think would be willing to take on a doctor from the Mirror Universe...one who worked on some interesting experiments, hmm? Certainly not many, at best." The Yridian didn't like to be surprised and certainly valued 'insurance' of sorts, so the information he'd acquired about the Vulcan Doctor had been saved until now.

Setak's eyes narrowed at the mention of his origins and trade; he was beginning to wonder just how lax Starfleet security really was. He supposed that it shouldn't have been a surprise, no civilization based on peace that he had ever encountered had ever maintained an adequate system of intelligence and security.

Stroking his chin for a few moments, Faldrok said, "Tell you what, Vulcan. We'll leave first thing in the morning the day after tomorrow. That gives me the time I need and you'll have time to acquire any medical items you might need before we leave. I can give you credits to purchase anything I don't already have."

"Fine," Setak agreed in a gruff tone before turning to leave. "Thirty six hours, a moment longer and you can find someone else to lead on."

Faldrok retained his composure, but was smiling inwardly. He could've left that very evening if it had really come down to it, but thirty six hours was plenty of time to get even more passengers and up the price for the ones already booked. Plus, he could now let Setak walk away feeling accomplished at talking down the time frame, "Very well, Vulcan, thirty six hours. Don't be late. And if you arrive without the medical supplies we need, I'll leave you behind."

Setak muttered to himself as he walked away, he wasn't about to wait around for the Yridian rat and would have to find other means of transportation. He would return to his quarters and begin his search anew, there had to be more than one ship who's captain would be willing to bear him hence.

OFF: JP brought to you by:

(Provisional Lieutenant) Setak
(Chief Medical Officer)
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Faldrok (NPC)
Captain
Yoortak
played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:35 pm

<<USS Malinche, Ready Room, Day 12, 1045>>

Isabel sat at her desk, frowning slightly as she looked at her terminal. Two days ago she had sent a message to StarFleet Admiralty inquiring into the status of finding a new Executive Officer for the Malinche and she'd finally received word that they had not found anyone. Foreseeing that that would be the case, she had sent another message a day ago about another possibility.

After looking through a few of the reports from the various Malinche departments, Isabel was about to leave the Ready Room when she heard the distinct sound of a message coming through. Sitting back down, she checked the message and smiled. Isabel opened one of the drawers on the left side of her desk, then headed out to a turbolift.

<Counseling Suite>

Isabel nodded to Myrna (NPC) as she walked in and moved towards the door to Nora's office, having already checked with the Counselor's Mate to ensure that the Chief Counselor was there. She paused outside the door and rang the chime.

The day was young, and Nora was feeling tired but optimistic. After getting an early start, she had both been looking after Counseling matters of business and seeing to some of her duties as Acting Executive Officer. At the sound of the door chime she tore her eyes away from the PADD she’d been looking over, happy for the interruption. “Come in,” she responded, and set the PADD on the desk before her.

"Good morning," Isabel said, smiling, as she walked into the office. "Still finding time to enjoy shoreleave, or mostly back to work?" Walking closer to Nora's desk, Isabel took a seat as she waited for her friend's reply.

“Good morning, Captain,” Nora responded with a smile of her own, glad to see it was Isabel who was stopping by. “I’ve been enjoying shoreleave as best as I can, but today it’s strictly business.” She gestured to the small collection of PADDs currently at home on her desk. “And how about you? Have you found much time to relax?"

"Not as much the last day or so, but I try to go over to the Starbase for at least one meal a day for a change of scenery." Eying the PADDs on Nora's desk, Isabel asked, "How are things coming along with Counseling and the Acting Executive Officer responsibilities?"

Following the Captain’s gaze, Nora absentmindedly began to stack the PADDs together. “Everything’s going well enough so far,” she answered honestly. “I confess that I hadn’t realized how extensive the damage was to the Malinche from our last mission. But the repairs are coming along nicely enough I think, all things considered, and fortunately Counseling’s been rather quiet.” She flashed a humorous smile at Isabel. “It would seem that psych evals and the like aren’t high on the list of fun things to do during shoreleave.”

"I'm shocked," Isabel said jokingly. "I suppose there'll be a flood of people in for their psych evals once shoreleave is over then. As far as repairs...I don't think it'll take much longer for those to be completed. A couple days at most. Unfortunately we're still lacking personnel in some key areas though."

“Oh?” Nora finished organizing the PADDs and slid the stack to the side of the desk. “Do you think we’ll have some new crewmembers arriving before we leave on our next assignment?” Seeing as there was rarely a dull moment on the Malinche, if the last few missions were any indication, Nora sincerely hoped they wouldn’t leave the starbase short-handed by any means.

Isabel shrugged slightly and shook her head, "I'm not sure that we'll get anyone else. But you never know; Admiralty seems to like sending and taking people at the last moment from the Malinche. We're still missing a Chief Science Officer, Chief Operations Officer, and Executive Officer, at the least. Which is partly why I wanted to come talk to you..."

Those vacancies seemed a bit problematical to Nora, and she was naturally intrigued by the direction their conversation was turning. She ventured her most logical guess. “You’re going to need me to remain as Acting Executive Officer, I take it?” If that were a case, it wasn’t a problem and she was happy to accept. Nora actually liked all of the interaction she enjoyed with other crewmembers as Acting XO. It was a bit of a juggling act, seeing as she still had work to do as Chief Counselor, but she was sure she could manage until the Admiralty found a permanent replacement for Commander Barrett.

Hesitating slightly, Isabel's eyes moved to the side as she considered the best way to go about what she would say. Refocusing on Nora, she replied, "Not quite. I think you've been doing an excellent job as Acting Executive Officer, and as Second Officer previously. If you're interested, I'd like to officially promote you to the position of Executive Officer. I know it's a big decision and certainly different from Counseling, but I think you'd do well. If you need time to think about it, that's perfectly fine." Isabel didn't want to pressure her friend into the job by any means, but she did truly believe that Nora was the right person for the position.

It was one of the last things Nora had been expecting, and for an uncomfortably long moment she remained speechless. “Captain, I’m…honored,” she said at length, her voice somewhat small. “This is all a little unexpected,” she added, hoping to explain her current lack of articulation. For years now, she had built her life on her work as a counselor. It had been, and was, her passion, and she’d always been eager to reach out to and help others. She was content in her role as the Malinche’s Chief Counselor, but the chance to become the ship’s Executive Officer was, somewhat surprisingly for the Betazoid, both tantalizing and exciting.

Regaining some of her composure, Nora faced the Captain squarely. “Part of me is tempted to accept your offer on the spot,” she told her friend and Commanding Officer frankly. “But I think it might be best if I do take some time to consider. I never really imagined that my career in Starfleet would take this direction, to tell you the truth. I just want to make sure that it’s…truly the direction I want to take.” Nora hoped that Isabel understood her reticence. She was truly honored by the opportunity that she was being given, but she knew that it would affect more than just herself if she made too hasty a decision.

"Absolutely; I want you to be comfortable with the decision you make. Take some time to think about it, sleep on it, talk to some others for advice...whatever you need to do. If there's anything I can do to help you, please let me know," Isabel answered, smiling reassuringly.

Nora nodded, returning her smile. She knew she was fortunate to have such an understanding Commanding Officer. "Thank you, Isabel. I'll consider the matter over the next little while, and I'll give you my decision by tomorrow. There's no use dragging my decision out any longer than that, I think. I'd only be torturing myself," she chuckled.

Isabel laughed, "Yes, no need to be torturing yourself. Tomorrow's perfectly fine. If you do accept, I'll put in a request for another counselor, but see if you can think of someone we already have who could help out at least temporarily." She had a guess as to who that might be.

"Absolutely," Nora agreed, her thoughts turning immediately to Jacob Trelani (NPC). If she did become the Malinche's Executive Officer, she knew that Counseling would be in good hands with Jacob, if only temporarily. "Well, that does give me a lot to think about. I think I'll finish up my work here and return to my quarters for a little while."

Smiling, Isabel nodded, "Of course. I need to check on a few things and see if I can't scrounge up a few more crewmembers for us before we are assigned our next mission. Thank you Nora."

Nora returned her smile. “Good luck, and I’ll be seeing you tomorrow.” After seeing Isabel to the door, the Betazoid turned to look over her office. Based on the decision she was about to make, she knew that it might not be her office for very much longer, and the thought was both daunting and oddly compelling. She returned to her desk to finish her task, but her thoughts never strayed far from the Captain’s offer and the decision that now lay ahead of her.

OFF:

A JP by:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Setak
Crewmember

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:58 pm

ON: <<Guest Quarters, USS Malinche, Day 7 1100>>

Since arriving aboard the Malinche weeks prior Setak had managed to stem the slow simmer that he felt inside, to maintain composure and not let others glimpse the turmoil that consumed him. He had learned over the years that his undisciplined mind was constantly at war with itself, two sides of a whole personality constantly vying for control with a bewildered ego stuck in the middle striving for balance. Indeed, there was a good reason that Vulcans had long ago mastered their primal core by shedding emotion; the beast would forever refuse to be tamed or controlled. It was the cold reality that Setak dealt with every moment of every day, of course some days went better than others...

With hands placed palm first upon the cold surface before him Setak stared motionlessly at his reflection in the mirror, his eyes locked with their counterparts stared deeply into the fire that burned within him. The simmer had become a boil as the untrained Vulcan's frustrations had finally reached a crescendo and demanded a physical outlet. Slowly his chest began to swell more as his breaths grew longer and deeper, his lips slowly curling back to reveal a sneer. Finally after several long minutes sweat beaded Setak's brow and his frame shuddered with immanent fury; he could hold back no longer. With a shout of fury his torso coiled back and his fist drove forward caving the mirror in, sending a web of cracks toward its edges. All of the Vulcan's rage had been channeled into the outburst, his only way of controlled release.

Setak strode out of the Head and sat on the edge of his bed, his body was numb and his expression vacant. Emerald droplets fell from his hand to the carpet and coalesced into a pool but he didn't take notice. A sense of relief washed over Setak and his mind began to clear, what emotion had blocked him from making a decision had vanished with the violent outburst. With the relief also came a deep shame, that he lacked the self control and the discipline to rid himself of the intense emotions that plagued him. That he had to resort to such drastic tactics simply to avoid hurting others was shameful indeed. No matter, it was over for the time being and the rage that he harbored would be sated for some time. He could focus his attention on finding passage off of the starbase, he would find a new beginning.

OFF
Lieutenant Setak
Biologist
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Davis
Senior Staff

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:39 pm

ON:
<Starbase 422, Holodeck 3, Day 10, 1345>

James follow Nora into the holodeck and watched as she prepared the holodeck for the climbing program. He couldn't help but smile as it has been a while since his last climb. As clear as a crystal, he remembered his last climb. He set it to where it would rain for half the climb, then the sun would come out for the remaining half with the heat just unloading on him as he climb. He nearly didn't make it when the heat came. The climb was about fifteen hundred feet long. He didn't want to subject her to that being she was a novice. As he stretched a little, he decided that it would be best if the weather was calm. He turned to Nora and asked with a grin, "Are you ready to conquer the elements?"

“I’m ready to try, at any rate,” Nora laughed as she surveyed their surroundings. She was glad that she had dressed for the climb, as it looked like it would be getting rather warm. Part of her was still nervous at the prospect of this new undertaking, while another part of her was excited for the start of something new. She was sad that Julie (PNPC) had not been able to make it, for whatever reason, but Ensign Davis seemed very friendly, and she was almost positive that no one had ever died in a climbing program on a holodeck. “Where do we begin?”

"We start at the base of the cliff and just work our way up. Key thing to remember is to take your time and keep a level head. If you feel that you can't continue, I'll stop the program. If you feel you are stuck, I'll help you out," James answered. "Since the weather will nice and the wind at a mere breeze, this will make for a perfect introduction to climbing." James smiled as he finished his sentence. He could see the distress on the face of the lieutenant. She really wanted her friend here with her so that they can do the climbing. While he couldn't replace her friend, he hoped he was a good backup for the occasion. "Hey, I promise I'll do my best to make this day better for you," James said.

“You already have,” the Betazoid said in a friendly tone of voice. “It sounds simple enough.” The Ensign’s instructions were straightforward enough, and the terrain of the program’s design didn’t look too daunting. It was nice to know that Davis was something of an experienced climber. “Could you explain how the process works a bit? Julie explained it a bit when we were planning the outing, but I don’t think I remember exactly how to do it correctly.”

"Of course, I can," James said with a smile. "It's really simple." James handed the lieutenant a pair of gloves as he slipped on a pair of his own. "First off, these gloves are specially designed for this terrain. They are highly durable and the microfibers in the fingers and palms of the gloves help you stick to the surface. I see you already have the proper footwear so we're good on that. Next thing is positioning. It takes patience and a good eye to find a good ledge to grab on to and to place your feet on, like this." James finds a wide ledge to begin his climb.

"Just remember," James said with an assuring smile, "Patience and good sight, and when you get higher, what ever you do, try not to look down unless you don't have a fear of heights. I'm not trying to scare you, I give this warning to anyone I'm teaching." James pointed over to a place where she could start, "Right there should be good to start. If you need my help, just let me know. You ready to climb?"

Nora adjusted her gloves, feeling more and more excited to start. “I’m as ready as I’ll ever be,” she smiled, and stepped up to the base of the cliff. The Betazoid looked for a good foothold to start with, eyeing the spot James had suggested with a critical eye. She chose a small outcropping of rock and, without further ado, placed her foot on it, reaching her arm up to a higher outcropping to pull herself up a little further.

There was a certain rhythm to it, Nora soon found, and although she hadn’t climbed up very far at all yet, she was already enjoying the climb. The program had clearly been designed with beginners in mind, thankfully. It was warm and sunny, and the fresh, green smell of nature around her was positively invigorating. She took her time, being careful to find a grip on the rock that was comfortable and secure before hoisting herself up a little further. It didn’t take long for her to become a little winded, but she was certainly glad that she had found time to exercise in other ways on the holodeck in order to condition herself a bit for an activity like climbing. “It’s not so bad,” she called to Davis, pausing for a moment. “I think I like this, actually,” Nora smiled.

James held his position and looked over to Nora. He smiled to see that she was only a few feet from his level. "It doesn't take long to get used to it," he said as he continued on his climb, "It's good to stay in shape for this, but at the same time, it's great exercise." He looked up and saw that there was only approximently one thousand feet to climb. Seeing that she was keeping up with his pace, he waited for her to catch up. As she reached his level, he said, "It looks like we have about only another thousand feet before we reach the top." He gave her an assuring nod and a smile to make sure she was okay.

"You know," he said as he grabbed a large ledge, "I've been meaning to ask you, what's it like being a counselor?" He was always curious about what the counselors on each ship were all about. He, himself, had never needed to see one. But, if he wasn't able to handle the pressure of his last girlfriend's death anymore, he thought about talking to Nora about his troubles. It didn't really affect him while he was doing the repairs, but he knew that if he couldn't let it go, it would affect his performance as an Operations Officer. What really worried him the most was that if his performance declined, he was worried that he could lose his position and possibly his job.

“Like?” Nora asked, chuckling as she reached for a hold above her, doing her best to keep pace with her companion. “It has its challenges, but I love it all the same,” she answered honestly. “I always wanted to help people when I was growing up. My parents were diplomats and strove to help others find peace. I wanted to follow in their footsteps in my own little way.” It seemed like they were making good progress in their climb. Knowing that there was no real danger if she fell certainly gave her added energy and confidence, and she continued to push herself as the climb grew a little more difficult.

“It’s a very fulfilling calling, but as you can probably guess, we’re not universally loved,” Nora continued, glad for the conversation as they climbed. “Psych evals for one are the bane of many people’s existence, I’m afraid. Some people will do anything and everything to get out of them. And I do mean anything,” she laughed.

James had stopped and gave a short laugh. He didn't know what the psych evaluations were all about, but as he continued up the cliffside, a thought ran through his mind. Since the death of his girlfriend, he hasn't been able to fully concentrate on work. The news of the incident had been gnawing at him like a bad habit and he needed closure before he went insane and wasn't able to any work at all. After he had climbed another couple hundred feet, he turned to Nora who was amazing keeping up with him, "Hey, do you think, if you have time of course, I could come see you for counseling? I've got to get something off my chest before it drives me to brink of insanity."

He was hoping that he wasn't too aggressive with his question. But, it was something that needed to be done before his personal problems became a shipwide problem. That was something he didn't want to have happen.

Nora paused and looked up at him, growing a little concerned over his question. “Of course you can,” she assured him. “I always have the time. And we wouldn’t want anything to drive you to the brink of insanity.” She was glad that he was comfortable enough to seek her help, and she hoped that whatever it was that was bothering him, she’d be able to help him get to the bottom of it. “Come by my office tomorrow or the day after, if you like. I promise that it’s not as scary as some people think.”

James turned back to Nora and gave her a thankful nod. He was very glad that he was able to seek help instead of letting it eat him inside and out. "Thank you, lieutenant. I greatly appreciate your help. This will really set my mind at ease," James said as he looked up to see how much farther they had to climb. "Only a couple hundred more feet to go!" He wasn't looking forward to the climb to end, but all good things had to come to an end.

“Right, only a couple hundred more,” Nora joked. She was fairly exhausted by now, but she was determined to finish the climb. “If I forget to tell you once we reach the top, thank you again for being brave enough to be my guide. I might just have to try this again sometime.” After she’d had a considerable amount of time to recover, of course. Something told her she was going to be sore for the next few days.

"You're welcome. It's a pleasure to be a helping hand," James said with a smile. It made him feel honored to help out someone who was inexperienced in something he knew how to do. "And you should do this again later on down the road. Good way to see if you can get up the cliffside faster." Just as he finished his statement, he had reached the top of the cliff and Nora did the same shortly after. "What a workout," he said. As he caught his breath, he looked over at Nora and stated, "You're welcome again and I'll see you in your office tomorrow." He smiled widely as the holodeck program came to an end.

OFF: This JP is brought to you by:

Lieutenant Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Davis
Senior Staff

Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:31 am

ON:

<Davis' Quarters, USS Malinche, Day 10, 1510>

It had already been an eventful day for James. He had repairs in every known place he could think of, which nearly drove him insane. Then, there was the wonderful rock climbing exercise with his "student", Lieutenant Zeral, who in his mind learned very quickly and could most likely beat her friend to the top the next time she decides to do it again. Now, he was ready to just lay back and relax for the rest of the day before he goes back on duties. The climb wore him out completely and a little shut eye is just what the doctor ordered.

*Two Hours Later*

Unfortunately for the young ensign, he was unable to sleep for long. The memories of his lost love invaded his mind and made him restless after only a couple hours of sleep. He understood why she never told him about her ailment. She didn't want him to leave his post to tend to her or have him worry about her. As he sat up in his bed, his eyes wet with tears, he tried to cast the pain out of his mind. It wasn't a physical pain but the lost weighing heavily on his heart. He got up to get a drink when, all of a sudden, a beeping sound came from his messaging module indicating a video call.

"Talk about a sigh of relief," James said as he sat in his chair facing the module. "Onscreen."

The call appeared on his screen and much to James' surprise, it was his own father, Samuel Davis. He wiped his eyes so that his father wouldn't ask any questions. But, his father knew him up and down. Even being light-years away, the man knew when something was wrong with his son.

"James, my boy, how have things been? We haven't heard from you since you left home a while back."

James smiled as he looked at his now well father. It made proud to see that his father made a full recovery from his heart surgery. "I'm sorry, Pop. Things have been busy here and I never really had a chance to call or send a message to you guys," James stated as he took a sip of water. "We're currently docked at Starbase 422 while the ship is undergoing repairs. Other than that, I've been great. How's everyone back home?"

The smile on his father's face slowly faded. James knew right there that Samuel knew that he wasn't fine. He lowered his head as his father spoke, "Jimmy, I know something's wrong. Your mother and I know all about it, too. You need closure, son. Please, James, talk to us."

James knew there was no getting out of this one and that there was no use fighting his old man off. As his eyes filled with tears once more, he looked at his father on the screen, who was joined by his mother, Annabelle. "Hi, Mom," he managed to say as his voice cracked. "I guess I should come clean. So many sleepless nights, so many distractions during work, hell, I was lucky to have made it up a cliff in one of the holodecks. It's been a long ten days, guys. I've sought help and hopefully the Chief Counselor or any of the other counseling officers can help."

"James, dear," his mother said, I know you're having a hard time, but just remember, we will always be here for you if you need to talk to us before you seek help elsewhere. We're not trying to take their jobs, but we are family after all. We're not upset, sweetie, just remember that, okay? We know that Talia was the love of your life. Remember the good times, not the bad ones."

James dried his eyes and smiled at his mother's request. "Mom, Dad, you know I'll always come to you first. It's just that sometimes I can't get to you guys right away and with this pain wearing me out mentally. I had to seek help quick. I apologize if I have offended you in any way."

James' father spoke, "Son, you haven't. We understand that you can't write or call us all the time. But, if something is bothering you and you need someone other than a counselor to talk to, we will always be here for you. We love you, son."

James smiled and saluted his parents, "I love you guys too. I promise I'll write before I leave on the next mission, whenever that may be... and thank you both for helping me."

"Anytime, son, James' father said. Now you look like you could use some sleep. Go to bed, boy!

"Yes, sir," James laughed. "Bye guys."

The video screen went blank and James leaned back and smiled. He was glad to have such great parents who could help him in a pinch. But, he also wanted to seek a counselor's advise as well. He went back to his bed, and laid back down. Maybe, for the first time in ten days, James could finally get a full dose of sleep.

OFF
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Setak
Crewmember

Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:23 pm

OFF: This is a backpost

ON: <<USS Malinche, Outside Setak's Quarters, Day 7, 1905>>

Even after the meeting earlier, it had taken several hours for Isabel's request to clear multiple additional hurdles before she finally received confirmation in the evening. After reading one other high priority report, she had headed straight for Setak's temporary quarters. PADD in hand, she paused outside and rang the doorchime.

Setak had been secluded in his quarters for hours recovering when the doorchime sounded; being so late the Vulcan realized it could only be one person. The one person he had been avoiding since hearing that he would be allowed to stay in the alternate universe, Captain Kersare. With a resolved sigh Setak tossed his duffel onto the couch opposite the door and stood with his hands clasped behind his back, "Enter."

Hearing the Vulcan granting her permission to come in, Isabel stepped forward and allowed the doors to swish open and then close behind her. Her eyes quickly surveyed the scene before her - Setak didn't seem overly happy to see her, or at the very least, not comfortable with her presence. "Going somewhere?" she asked, motioning towards the seemingly partly packed bag on his couch.

"Captain," Setak began, his voice apologetic. "I appreciate everything that you and your crew have done for me but I have to admit that I'm not comfortable here. As I'm sure you've heard, I'm free to move on now and that's what I plan to do; I'm going to find some place to start over."

Isabel watched Setak quietly for a few moments before replying, "I have heard that you are free to remain in this universe. It seems to me that anywhere here would be a place to start over and you do already know us. No need to worry that we'll find out where you came from...something to consider perhaps." From the report she'd read, the potential was actually worse than simply that. Either he wasn't aware or he simply wanted to get away from the Malinche. "I'm not saying they're all this way, but depending on who you start dealing with, you might not be in any better a situation than the one you left behind."

Setak started to speak but no words came to his lips, the Captain was right. The freighter captain had been no better than those who he had dealt with in his own universe and though not a slave he would still be living his life at the bottom of the civilized ladder. Despite that realization Setak had an equally hard time seeing himself aboard the Malinche or any other Starfleet vessel for any length of time. As a civilian he would be of little use and he would not be able to hide his emotional outbursts for long. "Every day that goes by," he said quietly, his voice heavy and wrought with emotion. "I feel like more of a stranger here, Captain. Sometimes I almost feel at ease until rudely reminded that I cannot be at ease here for I do not belong."

Nodding slowly as she considered his words, Isabel responded quietly, "Perhaps you do belong, Mr. Setak. But first you must believe that you belong. If you think you don't belong and act like you don't belong, that's what others will perceive and will likely treat you accordingly." Self-fulfilling prophecy. Nora would perhaps be intrigued that Isabel had addressed the issue in such a manner. It was true though. "For quite some time, I felt that I didn't belong on this vessel as its commanding officer. Truth be told, I didn't really feel I belonged anywhere near a starship. I let that get in the way to some extent...until I realized that when I at least pretended like I did belong, the crew treated me as such."

"Right," Setak replied sarcastically. "Its that simple." The Vulcan turned and stared out of the rooms small window at the stars beyond, appreciating them for their simple familiarity. Regardless of where he was the stars would always seem to belong, they were timeless and universal. He wanted to believe the Captain, wanted to let her words elevate his mood but it was beyond his ability. "Why did you come Captain? I do appreciate your thoughts but surely you're too busy to come by for idle conversation..."

"Well,I'd certainly hope that I have at least some free time to do as I please - including having idle conversation with a potential crewmember," she said offhandedly. Isabel's eyes moved to follow Setak, waiting to see how he would react to her comment.

Setak stood motionless for a few moments as he gazed at the stars; he didn't want Isabel to see the look of surprise on his face. Slowly as his composure returned he pivoted to face the Captain, "surely you can't be serious... Even I know better than that Captain, your superiors would never allow such a thing."

Isabel shrugged slightly, "I spoke with Lieutenant JG Masterson about it this morning and afterward we spoke with Admiral T'vask. I won't go so far as to say that it was the easiest process, but a little while ago I received confirmation that you may serve aboard the Malinche in our Medical Department with a provisional rank should you choose to stay." Pausing, she considered how odd it could seem for such an exception to be made. "I'm pretty sure my superiors are used to...interesting requests from me by now. Regardless, the choice is yours. I will say that I think you could do very well here; you could make a difference."

Setak turned back to the stars but paid them little attention as his mind raced; he was conflicted and unsure how to answer. On the one hand, the idea of serving aboard the Malinche seemed like a good one but also felt fleeting, a situation that could not last. It wasn't that he wanted to continue on as he always had, at the lowest levels of society, but he wasn't certain that he had what it would take to become a respectable individual. A good officer.

Watching Setak quietly, Isabel eventually spoke up, "If it's something you need to think about and tell me your decision later, that's perfectly fine. I realize it's not an easy choice to make."

"No," Setak said breaking his silence. "It's not time that I need," the Vulcan turned to face Isabel before continuing, "What is it that you want Captain? What is there for me aboard your vessel, that is so tightly knit, with a place for everything and everything in its place. What would you have me do? I've never had to live within a chain of command and its been a long time since I've been anyone's subordinate."

Raising her eyebrow, Isabel had to admit he certainly had interesting questions...good ones, really. "What do I want? I'd like to have a full medical department with people who are at least competent and have experience with medicine. You certainly fulfill those...you save lives and you can make a difference here with us. Dr. Dormand has been our Acting Chief Medical Officer; you'd be working with her. She knows StarFleet protocols that you are unfamiliar with, though I believe you have more actual experience in the field. I'd like the two of you to work together. For the time being, she would have final say and we could re-evaluate once you've had a chance to settle into your role. Other than that, you'd be reporting to the Executive Officer and myself. I can't imagine that is much different from the basic command structure you were dealing with when you were with the Alliance..."

"I'm likely mistaken," Setak said with slow astonishment. The conversation had already taken a well unexpected turn but his belief of what he was hearing was beginning to fade. "That sounds like an awful lot of autonomy Captain, not the short leash I was envisioning. Are you asking me to be the head of your Medical division?"

Isabel nodded slightly, "Essentially, yes. At first you would be working with Dr. Dormand; the two of you would be co-Chief Medical Officers. I believe in giving people second chances, Doctor. Make no mistake though, many eyes will be upon you. You'll have to earn the trust of the crew - some already trust you to an extent as you saved the life of one of them, but others do not. StarFleet is also somewhat unsure about this idea and will want regular reports about your progress. It won't be easy, but I think you might find it to be rewarding overall."

"I have to admit that I am intrigued," Setak admitted as he recalled his outburst from earlier in the day. "But there are things that you do not yet know about me and I fear that those things might change your perceptions of what I am capable of."

"Nobody truly knows what they might be capable of until they're put in a certain situation," Isabel replied as she tried to ascertain what the Vulcan might be referring to. "Thus far, while on the Malinche, you have not proven yourself to be a danger to my crew and have instead proven your skills. If that ceases to be the case, we'll have to re-evaluate your role here or see what we can do to address things that may come up. Regardless, my offer stands, if you wish to accept it."

What did he have to lose? Setak wondered. He could choose to refuse the offer and disappear into obscurity with the dregs of the alternate universe or he could attempt to change his course completely and make a place aboard the Malinche. The Starfleet vessel did have resources that he would not be able to find elsewhere and perhaps he could use those resources to find an answer to his volatility.
Sensing his moment of opportunity to be passing Setak smiled slightly and nodded, "Very well Captain, I accept. When do I begin?"

Smiling, Isabel replied, "The day after tomorrow, perhaps? That way Dr. Dormand will have some time to gather information on protocols for you to look over. And remember that this is still shoreleave, so there's no need to be in sickbay for hours on end, so long as there are a few people there to cover it."

"Of course," Setak said with a slight smile. It was done, he had chosen; he only hoped that it was the right choice. Setak would have asked Isabel to stay but there were things that he had to tend to, "Is there anything else Captain?"

Isabel shook her head slightly, then paused, "Actually, there is one thing. Your authorizations should go through by tomorrow so you can replicate yourself some uniforms. And I believe you'll also need need this..." She offered him a small black box that she'd been carrying and nearly forgotten about. "It's only provisional for now; you'd need to pass StarFleet courses for it to become official."

Setak thanked the Captain and respectfully walked her out of his quarters before stepping back ion and letting the doors slide shut behind him. Opening the black box he surveyed the Comm badge and twice striped gold bar that he took to symbolize a provisional lieutenant, a smirk crossed his face as he envisioned himself adorned in a Starfleet uniform. The image seemed immediately ridiculous but it was one he was going to have to get used to. Closing the box he sat it on the rooms single table before opening the door to the Head and letting out an exasperated sigh at the sight of the mess he had created earlier. First things first...

OFF

A JP By:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997

and
Lieutenant Setak
Biologist
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:01 pm

OFF: This is a backpost

ON: <<USS Malinche, Chief Security/Tactical Officer's Office, Day 7, 0815>>

Isabel walked through the corridor at a fairly brisk pace, making her way to Aaron's office. She wasn't sure if he would be heading over to the Starbase or making some rounds through the ship, so she wanted to make sure she caught him before he potentially left his office. As Isabel approached, she slowed her pace and slipped through the open door to stand in front of the Chief Security/Tactical Officer's desk, "Good morning, Lieutenant."

The sound of the captain's voice caused Aaron to look up from his desktop terminal in surprise. He hadn't really been paying all that much attention to the people passing in the corridor outside his open office door, which meant that he hadn't really been expecting anyone to suddenly step in, least of all the captain. "Captain," he said, moving to stand, "I'm sorry...I didn't...how can I help you?"

"I'm sorry to just come in, but I wanted to get moving on this as soon as possible... I'm not sure if you're aware, but Mr. Setak was granted asylum into our universe," Isabel began, having a seat in front of the desk. Pausing to collect her thought, she continued, "I realize it's unusual - though most things on the Malinche seem to be that way - but I'd like to have him aboard in our Medical department. StarFleet still hasn't been able to locate a Chief Medical Officer for us and we're even more short staffed with the departure of Mr. Townsen. Setak isn't up to speed on StarFleet procedure, but I'm sure he could learn if given the chance. What I'd like to do is request that he be granted a provisional rank and a position on the Malinche with the Admiralty...however, as you're in charge of Security for us, I wanted to get your thoughts first."

"Oh," was all Aaron could say as he processed the information he had just been given. Slowly, he lowered himself back into his chair. This wasn't the first time the two of them had discussed special arrangements for a member of the ship's crew and it certainly wasn't all that unexpected when one considered the situation Mister Setak currently found himself in. "I could see how that would be of some concern, especially to ship's security," he continued, "not to mention how comfortable it might make some people feel."

Isabel nodded, "Precisely. I think that Mr. Setak would know to behave himself, considering the opportunity he's been given and as I understand it, he'll be working on attaining Federation citizenship. I'm sure some may not be comfortable with him here, though he did save the life of one of our crew and I would have him work with Dr. Dormand." She folded her hands neatly in her lap, keeping her demeanor calm. Some would probably think of her as one of those "crazy" people who kept rescuing injured animals, but she didn't mind.

"I can certainly understand your point of view, captain," Aaron said, leaning back slightly in his chair, "This isn't the first time we've made some more...interesting...appointments and those seem to have worked out just fine."

"For the most part yes," she replied. There had been that incident with Mike, but she hoped it wouldn't be a reoccuring issue. "In this case, Mr. Setak wouldn't be working by himself, at least not at first. And we could always do it on a trial basis and if things don't work out it shouldn't be a major issue. If for some reason some issues did arise, he could always be relieved of his duties... However, I don't think he wants any trouble, especially considering where he came from." Isabel paused to allow Aaron to mull over the idea and comment further.

In Aaron's mind, the decision was actually much simpler than it first appeared. The fact that Mister Setak was a citizen of the Mirror Universe and an accomplice in the attack on Federation assets, while certainly cause for some concern, could not totally preclude the fact that he had been a slave of his master's will. If the captain was willing to give the man a chance, then so was he. "I agree," he said, "I don't see why we can't go ahead with this and see where it takes us."

Nodding, Isabel gave him a slight smile, "Thank you, Lieutenant. I appreciate your support. If you have some time now, we can contact the Admiralty from here. It's my understanding that Mr. Setak has been looking into passage on a freighter and my guess is that we won't get the final decision until after the Admiral speaks with the Chief of Staff and Personnel Director, at the least."

"Of course," Aaron said with a nod. He reached out to enter a few quick commands into the terminal on his desk and a moment later, the wall-mounted display behind him came to life with the familiar emblem of Starfleet Command.

A few moments later the Starfleet emblem was replaced by the expressionless face of Admiral T'vask, the elder Vulcan's gaze shifted between the Humans before locking with Isabel's, "Captain Kersare, your calling was unexpected but not unwelcome. What is it that you require?"

"Good morning, Admiral," she replied. "I wanted to speak with you regarding a personnel assignment to the Malinche's Medical Department. I realize this may be somewhat unusual, but due to the circumstances, I thought that contacting you directly would be best." Isabel paused for a few moments before continuing, "Are you familiar with the Mirror Universe Vulcan Setak that came back with us and was recently granted asylum?"

"I am aware of this, Setak," T'vask admitted openly with what might be interpreted as a hint of disdain by those unfamiliar with his people. "It is no secret that the Vulcan Science Academy has taken some interest in studying his case but I do not see any relevance between his presence and the supposed nature of your call."

Isabel glanced over at Aaron before turning her attention back to T'vask, "Actually, Admiral, it's relevant because I'd like to bring Mr. Setak aboard the Malinche to work in our Medical Department. I realize that he's not trained in StarFleet protocol...but Dr. Dormand can work with him on that. He's certainly well versed in the medical profession in general. This is perhaps an unusual request, but I'd like to give him the opportunity." Really though, Isabel would have thought that StarFleet was used to her 'unusual' requests by now.

"Captain," T'vask started as he clasped his hands on his desk. "I fail to see the logic in your request. Mr. Setak has only just arrived in our existence and despite your assisting his integration, cannot yet be prepared to make that kind of decision. However, I have spent enough time here, among your people to realize that what is the logical course is not always what you might consider to be the best course. I will relay this request to the appropriate offices."

Truth be told, she wasn't the least bit surprised that T'vask didn't see the logic in it. "I appreciate you passing the request on, Admiral. I would like to add that if it helps, we can have periodic reviews to see how he's doing... Also, time is of the essence here; I have information that Mr. Setak is looking into joining a freighter crew. I'd like to be able to offer him the position here as soon as possible, so he'll have all his options to consider."

The Admiral raised a brow as if to question Isabel's motives yet nodded his understanding, "I will emphasize your need of alacrity Captain. If there is nothing further to discuss I will relay your request immediately."

"Thank you Admiral," Isabel replied with a slight smile. "Have a pleasant day." As the comm channel closed, she turned her attention back to Aaron, "Well, I suppose that went alright. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens... I appreciate your insight and assistance, Lieutenant."

"Anytime, captain," Aaron said, reaching over to deactivate the now empty visual display, "I'm happy to be of assistance."

She nodded, "Thank you." Standing to leave, Isabel paused, "How is Ensign Kepler doing? And are the two of you doing alright, considering what happened?" She didn't want to open a wound, so to speak, but she was concerned.

"We've talked," Aaron replied, knowing that it probably sounded a bit dismissive. The truth was he still wasn't quite sure how things were between them. They had done their best to make sure their personal lives did not interfere with their professional work aboard the Malinche, and vice versa, but that still didn't mean there couldn't be some hard feelings about how he had dealt with the situation.

Isabel watched Aaron for a few moments before nodding slowly. "I don't mean to intrude; I have been concerned though, I hope you understand. If there's anything I can do, please let me know. Or, if you think there will be any issues, bring them to my attention."

"Of course, captain," Aaron said, shaking his head back and forth to clear his thoughts, "I will let you know if anything else comes up."

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant JG Aaron Masterson
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Admiral T'vask (NPC)
played by: Prov Lt Setak

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:50 pm

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Zeral’s Quarters, Day 12, 1930>>

It was comforting and reassuring for Nora to see her brother’s face smiling back at her from the computer screen. Bron (NPC) looked the same as ever, sporting a wide grin for his younger sister. “Someone hasn’t died, have they? Because I can’t think of any other reason why you’d actually be calling me,” Bron teased.

“No one is dead, Bron,” Nora replied with a short laugh, rolling her eyes. He was right, though—Nora spoke with her brothers far too little these days. For as close as they all were to each other, they deserved better from her. “I’m sorry for disappearing again,” she sighed. “Trust me when I say that there’s been plenty to keep me busy here on the Malinche.”

“I can imagine,” Bron said. “We used to speak nearly twice a week, I’d say, when you were stationed on New Athena. But then I know that you had a little more free time then, so I do understand, Nor.”

Nora smiled her gratitude, thankful for his never-ending stores of understanding. “Oh, Bron, I have so much to tell you. There’s never a dull moment here. The Malinche is as different from New Athena as night and day. But there is something in particular I wanted to talk about.” She paused for a moment, her smile faltering. “I need your advice.”

“You need my advice?” Bron asked in mock surprise. “I thought Soren (NPC) was the one you usually turned to advice for.” Nora’s smile returned, somewhat guilty now. Her eldest brother was indeed the one she usually turned to for advice, but when it came to matters concerning Starfleet, Bron was the first person she always wanted to talk to. He had joined Starfleet four years before she had and was therefore infinitely more experienced in some ways, at least in her mind. If anyone could help her sort out her feelings over the possibility of her new promotion, it was Bron.

“Something rather unexpected has come up that has me rethinking my future in Starfleet. No, I’m not quitting or anything,” Nora hastened to assure him, “I just…may be leaving my path as a counselor.”

“Well? Don’t leave me hanging here,” Bron pressed, his curiosity piqued.

Without further ado, Nora gave him her news. “Captain Kersare came to my office earlier today and offered me the Executive Officer position for the Malinche.” She was met with stunned silence. Bron blinked at her before turning his face away for a moment, evidently processing Nora’s news. She waited on pins and needles, half afraid that Bron would burst into laughter at any moment, thinking it was all a joke.

“Wow. That’s…pretty amazing, Nor.” Looking at her again, Bron shook his head slowly. “And you’re going to accept the promotion, I take it?”

Sighing deeply, Nora searched for the right words to describe her inner turmoil. “I want to, Bron. I’ve had some time to think about it, and I think this is something that I do truly want. It’s just all so strange. I never really considered that I would ever leave Counseling. I love being Chief Counselor, and you know that all I wanted for years was to be a counselor.”

“What you wanted was to help others,” Bron corrected. “Becoming a psychologist was the most logical way for you to achieve that goal, since you and I both know that becoming a physician never appealed to you. You couldn’t stand the prospect of losing lives. Remember when that old bird of yours died? You cried for days and days.” Nora could well remember the death of poor little Xera. She had been sure at the time that her broken heart would never heal. Fortunately, she was made of much sterner stuff now than she had been seven.

“The way I see it,” Bron continued, “you’re going to have even more chances to help others in a Command position. Starfleet does an awful lot of good, if you ask me, and you’ll really have the chance to be a part of it. And it’s not as if you’re going to forget how to be a counselor, so if you’re thinking that your efforts there are going to be wasted, you’re wrong.”

“No, I don’t think that,” Nora assured him. “I’m more concerned with whether or not I have what it takes to be a worthy Executive Officer, to be perfectly honest.”

Bron looked perplexed. “Is that all you’re worried about? Gods, Nora, that’s ridiculous. Of course you have what it takes. I know you, and despite first appearances, you’re no wilting flower.”

Nora burst out laughing at his comment. “Well thank you for that,” she said drily.

“I’m serious, Nora. You’re smart, you’re hardworking, you’re tougher than you look, and you’re damn persistent when you need to be.” Bron ticked off his points on his hand as he listed them. “And above all, you care about people. That sure sounds to me like the makings of a good Executive Officer. Besides all that, from what you have gotten around to telling me about your life aboard the Malinche, you really like your Commanding Officer. Somehow, I don’t think that Isabel Kersare is about to hand you that kind of promotion unless you were ready to handle it.”

“Her reputation precedes her, does it?” Nora asked, only mildly surprised.

“That, and I have a friend in Security who served under her a couple years ago. From what he’s told me about her, I feel pretty certain that she’s not careless about the running of her ship.”

“Fair enough,” Nora nodded, taking a moment to consider their conversation thus far. Her brother’s encouraging words were exactly what she needed to hear, and now more than ever she wanted to take Isabel up on her offer. “Thank you, Bron,” she said sincerely, wishing that they were speaking in person so that she could embrace him. It wasn’t always easy living so far away from her family, but it did make the times when they were together all the better. “You’ve given me some things to think about, but I think…no, I know that I’m going to take it.”

“That a girl, Nor,” Bron cheered her on, his usual humor returning. “You’d better call Soren up and give him the news. I think he’s going to fall out of his chair when he hears that our baby sister is going to be the Malinche’s Executive Officer.”

Nora laughed. “He probably will. And speaking of Soren, there was one other thing I wanted to talk to you about.”

“I’m all ears,” her brother smiled.

She proceeded more carefully than she had before. “You know that in two months it will be the eighth anniversary of Mother and Father’s passing.”

The smile instantly fell from his face. He looked older suddenly, and it pained Nora to see that spark of laughter fade from his eyes, even just for a moment. “Eight years,” he said quietly, slowly shaking his head. “I can’t believe it’s been that long. Sometimes it feels like it was only yesterday, you know?”

“I know. I still have moments where I get the urge to call one of them, and then I suddenly remember that they’re gone. You’d think that after so long…” She sighed, feeling all over again the dull ache of her loss. “I’m going to try to go to Betazed this year to honor their lives with Soren on the anniversary. Do you think you could take a short leave of absence and join us?”

Bron briefly scrubbed his face with his hands, obviously considering the possibility. “You know, I think I could manage that. I’ll do what I can to be there.” Nora smiled, relieved to hear him say so. “It would mean a lot to me to see you two again. I haven’t been back to Betazed in…what, four years now?”

“It’s been a long time,” Nora quietly affirmed. “Soren misses you. He might not always say it aloud, but he does. It would be so wonderful if the three of us could be together again, even just for a day or two.”

“I wouldn’t mind seeing the manor again. You’re not so bad to see either,” Bron quipped, and it was clear he was ready to move away from talk of sadness and loss. “Look, I’m due on the Bridge soon, so I’ve got to go, Nora. But listen to me carefully as someone older and much, much wiser than you,” he grinned. “Go get some sleep, think a little more about what I said, and then track down your Commanding Officer tomorrow and take the damn promotion, all right?”

Throwing up her hands in defeat, Nora nodded as she laughed. “All right, all right. Hurry along to the Bridge, O Wise One. Take care of yourself, and expect to hear again from me sooner rather than later.”

“I’ll hold you to that. You take care of yourself too, Nor. I love you.”

“I love you, too.” Their communication ended, Nora turned in her chair, observing her room without really seeing it. She wasn’t the least bit tired now, but she knew that Bron’s advice was sound. She needed a good night’s rest tonight, for in the morning everything would be different. “Nora Zeral, Executive Officer,” she said to herself, smiling somewhat bemusedly. “Who would have ever guessed.”

OFF
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:32 pm

OFF: This is a backpost.

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Dormand’s Quarters, Day 9, 2115>>

Alone in her quarters, Julie picked at her meal with disinterest. She hadn’t had much of an appetite as of late, and while the doctor inside of her urged her to take better care of herself, she couldn’t find the motivation to eat much tonight. This strange sense of discontent had been haunting her for longer than she cared to admit, but here, with the Malinche docked at the starbase, she was suddenly feeling more tired and listless than ever before.

She knew it was the starbase that made her feel this way. Ever since her husband’s disappearance and death, she could hardly stand the sight of them. Julie had thought that she’d be over her dislike by now. She had even managed to visit the Promenade more than once. Her first visit with Nora had gone well enough, and she had taken comfort in her friend's presence at the time. It was her second visit, however, that had unexpectedly pushed her over the edge. It was silly, really—she was a grown woman, after all, and she’d surely had time enough to process Alex’s (NPC) death. Yet it still seemed that any and every station reminded her of him, and this one was no different.

Not only had they met on a starbase, but they’d been married on one as well. And as their careers proceeded in different directions, they’d met whenever possible on starbases in between assignments. After that awful second visit, she had firmly decided that she wouldn’t go back to Starbase 422, not if she could help it. Her heart couldn’t take any more unwelcome reminders of the man she’d loved and lost.

There would never be another Alex for her. An overwhelming pang of melancholy came fast on the heels of that thought, and for a brief moment Julie was sure she was going to burst into tears. “Get a grip,” she whispered harshly to herself, pushing away from the table and jumping to her feet. Her meal now entirely forgotten, Julie began to move restlessly around her quarters, searching for something, anything to get her mind off of Alex and this awful sense of sadness that seemed to follow her wherever she went.

Nothing helped; there was nothing she wanted to read, nowhere she wanted to go, and no one that she wanted to talk to. Julie thought briefly of Nora, but almost immediately pushed the thought aside. Knowing Nora, she’d only worry about Julie if she knew the full extent of how she was feeling, and at this point, Julie didn’t want anyone’s pity or concern. She just wanted to be left alone.

Somehow she ended up back in her bedroom, and with a half-hearted sigh, she sank heavily onto the edge of the bed. She would beat this; she knew that she would. Once shoreleave ended and they left the damned starbase, she would be herself again. Everything would be perfectly fine, given enough time.

The picture frame sitting on the nightstand beside her bed caught Julie’s eye. Alex smiled back at her, carefree and full of that effortless charm that she remembered so well. The other person in the photograph looked like a total stranger to Julie. With Alex’s arm thrown around her shoulders, the woman was caught up in laughter, her eyes fixed on her husband’s smiling face. Julie couldn’t remember the last time she’d been that happy. She was surely a just a shade of the woman she’d been before.

“Oh God, Alex,” she choked, and the tears she had been fighting began to fall. “Oh God, Alex, I just wish you were here.” Taking hold of the picture with shaking fingers, Julie held it close to her as she lay down the bed and finally, simply, cried.

OFF:

Lieutenant JG Julie Dormand (PNPC)
Acting Chief Medical Officer

Played by:
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Setak
Crewmember

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:41 pm

ON:

<<USS Malinche, Sickbay, Day 11 09:45>>

The day was young yet, but Julie (PNPC) had little hope that anything good would come from it. Sleep had proved to be elusive lately and her second cup of coffee had yet to help sooth her frayed nerves. With Sickbay being so quiet, she had elected to all but sequester herself in the CMO’s office while waiting for the newest addition to Sickbay’s personnel to arrive. She was not strictly pleased with the situation she now found herself in, yet she knew that, pleased or not, orders were orders. Sickbay was no longer her own, it seemed, and she now was going to have to share it with a man who wasn’t even from their own universe.

In truth, she hadn’t expected to have the run of Sickbay for very long. What she had expected was that the Malinche would eventually receive a new CMO with proper credentials, not another Acting CMO who knew next to nothing about Starfleet Medical, let alone Starfleet itself. Yet there was nothing to be done for it now. Setak had managed to save the life of one of their crewmembers, after all, and she supposed that his medical knowledge must have been enough to win Captain Kersare and the Admiralty over. Hopefully with their endorsement, he’d prove himself to be worthy of his new position aboard the Malinche yet.

Setak had awoken early to prepare himself for his first day 'on the job' and having attempted to tend to his new uniform as best as possible to ensure a proper image he couldn't help but fidget as he stood precariously outside of Sickbay. The uniform was of the right measurements but the materials used made his skin crawl producing a generally unpleasant sensation. He would have to ignore it and attempt to solve the problem after his day was over, he only hoped that it was not too much of a distraction. After a deep breath he strode forward into the infirmary.

He was surprised to find the main room of the facility empty, he was certain that his counterpart was supposed to have had advanced knowledge of his arrival and was to be awaiting him. Cautiously he strode toward the infirmary's back office area and cleared his throat, "hello, Lieutenant Dormand?"

Looking up from her coffee cup, Julie observed the newly arrived Vulcan with a somewhat critical eye. At least he had a proper uniform on, she mused to herself. That was something at least. “Dr. Dormand, if you don’t mind. You must be Dr. Setak,” she said, standing to offer him her hand. Her tone wasn’t unfriendly, and now that the moment had arrived, she was dubiously willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Setak paused briefly at the Human gesture of an outstretched hand but quickly realized that he was to take it in his own if not to insult his mentor. Being recognized as a doctor was equally disquieting, it was not often the the Vulcan was called such. Despite being well versed in medical technology and procedure he had rarely put his skill to use in the service of others, quite the contrary.

Shaking Julie's hand lightly he mustered a slight smile, "Doctor, of course. I take it that you have been apprised of the situation and have prepared coursework for the day?"

“I have been apprised of the situation as you say, yes,” Julie confirmed with a brief nod. As for coursework, well, she had a general idea of what she wanted to teach him. She was no Academy instructor, and she had never been in a situation where she had had to teach someone nearly all the protocol and procedures for Sickbay, but she wasn’t about to let someone from the Mirror Universe run around in her Sickbay without some proper training, either.

Looking Setak squarely in the eyes, she asked, “Before we begin, are you familiar with any of the procedures here at all? Do you know how any of the equipment works?” As far as she was aware, his knowledge about their practices and protocol wasn’t great. Still, it was a question worth asking.

Setak was no expert on Humans but he suddenly sensed what could only be described as apprehension coming from the young woman. Whether it was directed at him or was just a part of her typical demeanor he couldn't say but he decided at once to tread carefully. The tone of her voice suggested that she had doubts about his capacity but then again, Setak had his own doubts.

"I have taken the liberty of reviewing technical schematics for what seemed to be the most prevalent technologies," Setak replied with a level voice. "Bio beds, Cortical simulators, Hypo Sprays but the more... Exotic devices, no. I've attempted to catch up on as much as possible in the limited amount of time but as you can imagine, compressing years worth of studying into a few days is quite impossible."

“You are quite correct,” Julie agreed. She was pleased that he had done some research on his own, but she imagined that they still had a good deal of work ahead of them. It was not a prospect that she particularly relished. “Well, reviewing schematics is one thing. Actually learning how to properly use the technology is another.” Turning her back on Setak for a moment, she returned to her desk to grab a PADD she had set aside earlier. “First, however, I think we should start by going over what your specific duties will be. I’ve highlighted them all for you on this PADD,” she said, handing Setak the PADD in question.

Setak took the PADD and lowered his gaze to study the text. Scrolling through he realized that his education would be no slight task, not that he had thought so before but in his hand was the material example. He knew would be devoting much of his time to his studies and the notion didn't seem so bothersome.

“It’s a fairly standard list of duties,” she stated, folding her arms against her chest as she waited for Setak to finish perusing the PADD. “Your primary duty is to see to the physical health and well being of all the Malinche’s crew and any passengers we might have on board. You also, incidentally, will have full medical authority over any patient in your care, including senior officers. This means that you have the power to relieve any crew member of duty whenever you deem it necessary, as well as the authority to order them to do whatever is necessary for the improvement of their health. That being said, it is critical that you use good, unbiased judgment in all situations.” She paused for a moment, letting her explanations sink in. “Do you follow me so far?”

"I believe so," Setak replied as he looked up from the PADD. He had not previously considered the full scope of what his responsibilities as Chief Medical Officer would be, the gravity of it struck him at once. He wasn't certain that he was prepared for that degree of responsibility but being the stubborn individual that he had always been he would not let such doubts deter him. He would have to steel his resolve and face the challenges head on, he only hoped that he would not cause any harm to the Malinche or her crew doing so.

Julie nodded, perfectly willing to let him sort through the more detailed descriptions of his responsibilities on his own time. “Good. Keep that PADD and learn everything that’s written there,” she instructed, then moved swiftly past him and into Sickbay proper, expecting him to follow her. They had a lot to cover, and she couldn’t help but feel that the sooner this was over, the better.

As Julie brushed passed him without so much as a sideways glance Setak was certain that something was indeed bothering her, her tone had been strained and mannerisms forced to boot. He was getting the impression that she didn't want the task of training him, was it because of his origins or something else?

“I suspect that the best way for you to learn how to use the equipment is going to be through practice,” Julie said once Setak joined her. She didn’t like the idea of Setak using any patients as guinea pigs, so to speak, and added, “You might consider trying some holodeck programs for the practice.” Julie moved to one of the tables set against a wall, selecting from its ordered contents two of the smaller devices. “Medical tricorder,” she stated, handing one to the Vulcan doctor. “It’s similar to the standard Starfleet tricorder, except that it has a deployable hand scanner, as you can see.” She took a few moments to explain the basic functions of the tricorder and its scanner. “Any questions?”

Following her instructions Setak removed the hand scanner from its dock on the Tricorder to began taking readings on Julie, starting at her temple and slowly lowering it, " only one. Your elevated adrenaline and cortisol levels suggest a physical response to chronic stress... What is it that is bothering you, is this assignment that much of a burden?"

Startled, Julie frowned and took an unconscious step away from him. “I’m fine,” she said lowly, decidedly not pleased with the results of the scanner or Setak’s blunt assessment. Part of her mind reminded her that he was only doing his job as a fellow physician, but Julie was unprepared and unwilling to view it in such a light. She was the one in charge, and she didn’t need any unnecessary and unwanted diagnoses from him at the moment. “I may not be…thrilled at this particular assignment, Dr. Setak, but I can assure you that it is not too great of a burden.”

Clearing her throat, Julie held her head high as she turned back to the equipment table. “You obviously have the use of the tricorder down,” she said, her tone emotionless. “Let’s move on to hyposprays, then.”

Setak returned the hand scanner to its dock and set the Tricorder aside, never removing his eyes from Julie he continued to study her mannerisms. He was confident in his assessment of her, that something was troubling her but he was no counselor and he doubted that he would get to the core of it. Why should he want to? She was simply the gatekeeper of the information that he needed, their interaction need only extend that far, yet he was inexplicably concerned.

"Yes, Hyposprays," Setak replied feigning interest. He had used the devices in his attempt to save the crewman from his own creation shortly after arriving aboard the Malinche and truly needed no explanation of them. "Dr. Dormand, I understand your desire to be thorough but I feel we should move on to the more advanced studies. I may be new to this ship and I may be new to your methods but I assure you, I am no green horned resident intern. I'm a Doctor, show me how to be a Starfleet physician."

Julie set down the hypospray she was holding harder than she had intended. Lips pursed together, she turned back from the equipment table to fix Setak with a look that dangerously approached a glare. “One isn’t shown how to be a Starfleet physician, Doctor. You have to become one. But rather than waxing poetical about just what it means to be a Starfleet physician—which is, I can assure you, the finest and best physician in the galaxy,” she added with a hint of pride, “Why don’t you just tell me what you want to know? Just what is advanced enough to catch your exalted medical fancy?”

Setak stared silently at Julie for a long awkward moment uncertain what to say to her outburst; he was well enough familiar with such dramatic displays of emotion but not one coming from another individual. He had half a mind to turn and leave but it seemed like a rather juvenile reaction, in truth her reaction was probably fitting to what might be considered offensive behavior on his part. He had never been good with others, not at sparing their feelings at any rate and he wasn't all that concerned with making a habit of it.

Taking a deep breath, Julie could hardly believe what she’d just said to him. She wasn't acting like herself at all, and it was troubling to say the least. He annoyed her, and she had decided even before meeting him that she didn’t like him, but even upset as she was, she knew that she had no right to talk to him like that. “I apologize, Dr. Setak,” she said slowly. “That was…out of line. The fact is, I have next to no idea what your medical background is like, and I certainly am not versed on what they do and don’t teach you outside of Starfleet, let alone outside our universe. So you’re going to have to tell me what it is you need to know, as best as you can. Tissue regeneration, neurological procedures, cardiovascular, muscular—you name it, I can show you how we at Starfleet Medical proceed,” she finished resignedly.

Setak took in the apology for what it was and nodded his understanding yet he felt there was still more that had been left unsaid. Unwilling to risk another, possibly more intense outburst he decided to let his urge to question Julie subside and instead pulled a chair out and offered her a seat before taking one for himself. "Dr. Dormand, I will accept anything that you are willing to teach me. You have the upper hand in this situation and I will require your insights on the department for some time, we can both do better at trying to make this work. Agreed?"

With another deep breath, Julie nodded. She had to admit that it was a civil proposal, and probably better than she deserved after her little outburst. She could handle this, and it would all work out just fine, she told herself. It might still be a good idea to speak with Nora after her session of sorts with Setak was over, though, even if only as a friend. If she was going to be sharing work space with Setak from now on, she wanted to make sure that her annoyance over the situation didn’t get the better of her again.

“Well then, Dr. Setak, if you’re amenable, why don’t we finish up for today by looking at some of the more advanced equipment. After that, you might as well take the chance to really familiarize yourself with Sickbay while we don’t have any patients. I’ll take the opportunity to finish up some work in my--” Julie just caught herself, and quickly amended, “our office. If you have any questions, you can find me there.”

"Acceptable doctor," Setak agreed to the plan and gestured for Julie to lead on. He was pleased that they had seemingly been able to settle their differences so quickly, he only hoped that the 'truce' lasted. He would not say it outright but he had finally decided that being trained by a Terran of far fewer years would not be so bad after all, in fact, he had decided that he liked the Lieutenant; no small thing for one so cynical. "Let's get to work."

OFF:
A JP by:

Lieutenant JG. Julie Dormand
Acting Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Played by: Nora Zeral

and
Lieutenant Setak
Biologist
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:32 pm

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Kersare’s Quarters, Day 13, 0840>>

After the computer had informed her that Captain Kersare was still in her quarters, Nora made the short journey there from her own. Lingering for a moment in the corridor outside, she collected her thoughts. Her conversation with her brother the night before had given her the clarity and courage she needed to make her decision regarding her promotion, and even though she had had a dreadful night trying to sleep, she was now feeling eager and excited to speak with Isabel.

Pressing the door chime, Nora straightened her uniform a bit—she had been in something of a hurry getting ready this morning—and waited for a response.

Isabel had decided the night before that she was going to sleep in, have breakfast in her quarters with Derek (PNPC), and then do some work there rather than in her Ready Room. It got a bit old staring at PADDs in the same room every day. Derek had left nearly a half hour ago and since then she had started looking through even more repair reports. Setting down yet another one, she perked up at the sound of her door chime, "Enter."

As Nora strode into the Captain’s quarters, she couldn’t help the bright smile on her face. “Good morning, Captain,” she greeted Isabel.

"Good morning, Nora," Isabel said with a smile. Standing, she moved over to the nearby seating grouping, motioning for Nora to follow. Isabel sat at one end of the understated, yet comfy couch and waited for her friend. "How are you doing?"

Nora comfortably settled herself on the other end of the couch. “I am doing very well this morning, thank you,” she replied, her smile still firmly in place. “I hope it’s not too early for a visit from me. I wouldn’t want to intrude on any free time you might find during shoreleave, but I confess that I was eager to talk to you.”

Chuckling, Isabel replied, "It's not too early. I slept in a little and had breakfast with Derek before starting. Besides, I prefer to get work done earlier and have time later on to enjoy shoreleave." The main thing she could think of that would be so important was also what was foremost in her mind. "I take it that you've considered my offer from yesterday?"

It sounded like Isabel had had a lovely morning, and Nora was glad she wasn’t interrupting anything now. “Yes I have, and that’s what I’m here to talk to you about,” she confirmed, nodding succinctly. “I did just what you suggested—took some time to really think about your offer, sought the advice of friends and family, and at least tried to sleep on it, and I have my decision for you. If your offer still stands, I would be honored to accept it, Captain,” she finished, her smile returning.

"It most certainly does," grinned Isabel. "I'm glad to hear you've decided to accept. I think we'll make a great team as Commanding and Executive Officer." She stood, holding up her hand to indicate that Nora should remain where she was. Luckily, Isabel had decided to remain prepared... Heading over to her desk, she opened one of the wood drawers and pulled out a small box. "Besides a new uniform, you'll also be needing this," Isabel said as she took her seat and handed the box to Nora.

Taking the box into her hands, Nora carefully opened it, already guessing what had to be inside. The idea of wearing a new uniform was a little strange as it was. Adding a new pip to that uniform, and consequently being given a new rank, just added to how surreal it all seemed. “Thank you so much, Captain,” she said sincerely, gently running a finger over the smooth metal pin. “This is still a little much to take in, but I have to confess that I am excited.” She looked up to meet Isabel’s eyes. “I think I'm still stuck on the idea of wearing a red uniform instead of a teal one," the Betazoid laughed.

"Congratulations Commander," she replied sincerely. "You certainly deserve it." Isabel nodded knowingly, "It took me awhile to adjust to the red uniform too...I'd gotten used to gold." It seemed so long ago that she'd traded uniforms herself. It wasn't exactly an easy adjustment, but after awhile it didn't seem quite so strange. "Once you see yourself in the red uniform for awhile you'll have a more difficult time remembering that you wore anything else. One of the blessings or oddities of time, depending on how you look at it."

Nora chuckled, sure that Isabel was right about that. “Do you ever miss it? Engineering, I mean?” she asked her friend, genuinely curious. “We’ve never really talked about it before, but did you aspire to have your own command one day, or did you always see yourself as an engineer?” She herself had never pictured a life and career outside of Counseling or psychology, and she couldn’t help but wonder how Isabel had likewise envisioned her career.

"Oh yes, I miss engineering at times. I miss working directly with the ship's systems - coming up with solutions, improvements... I didn't really have command aspirations, per se, at least not initially. After Derek had been declared dead, though, I had a difficult time and when the opportunity arose to try something new, I took it. I ended up becoming Executive Officer for the ship I was on. It was a change of pace and I did enjoy it, though I still didn't entirely expect to get my own command. When it was offered though, I took it. It was the next logical step and it also gave me a new environment - I served on the same ship I grew up on my entire career, so the memories of my childhood and Derek were always there," Isabel explained. While the thoughts were always there, she didn't usually pay them much heed and instead concentrated on the future. Every once in a while, or when she contacted her family, her memories would slip back to the past though.

“That’s rather remarkable,” Nora said, thinking of how strange it would be if she had remained on her parents’ personal vessel even after they had passed on. The ship was gone now, so it was a moot point, but she could well understand Isabel’s desire to take another direction and move on to a new ship. It was something of a relief to hear that Isabel had felt much like Nora felt now. Nora had never had any sort of command aspirations herself, but like Isabel, she was taking the opportunity to try something new, and somehow she knew that she would enjoy the change of pace as well.

“My brother Bron (NPC) helped me see that a step from Chief Counselor to First Officer wasn’t as farfetched as I seemed to think it was,” she mentioned, continuing to speak candidly. “I think I’m going to need some additional training, though. My experience administering psych evals probably won’t come in very handy on the Bridge,” she chuckled.

Isabel nodded slowly as she gathered her thoughts, "Actually your experience in counseling will be a benefit, in my mind. Being in a command position requires working with people and handling various social conflicts - things you essentially already know. And the training you received for your bridge certification was a good step as well. Now you'll need to hone those skills so you're more comfortable with the various bridge functions and perhaps have some additional training for leading away missions. I can get some information for you and you may want to even speak with some of the crew or department heads - I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions you might have."

It was the various bridge functions, as Isabel called them, that most worried Nora. She was very glad for the training she had from her bridge certification from her time as Second Officer, but she wanted to ensure that she was fully prepared for all eventualities she might meet as an Executive Officer. “I would appreciate the information,” she nodded, “and I think speaking with some crew and department heads is an excellent idea.” She was ready for the challenge, and frankly feeling more excited for the future than she had in some time. “I suppose my only real question for you now is, how will this transition affect Counseling?”

"I've already asked the StarFleet Personnel department to look for a new Chief Counselor - just in case you accepted - though I've not heard back yet. I'm hoping we'll have one before our next mission...but if not, is there someone in the department that you feel could take over temporarily?" Isabel asked Nora. Most of the staff had been with her for awhile, so perhaps Nora had someone in mind.

“Excellent,” Nora smiled, unsurprised that Isabel had seen to it in advance. “Jacob Trelani (NPC) stands out to me, and has for some time. I would recommend making him Acting Chief Counselor until Starfleet finds a replacement.” Since her arrival aboard the Malinche, Jacob had been a good friend and asset to Nora. He was, perhaps more importantly, an excellent counselor as well. While it was still a little strange to imagine leaving Counseling, she knew it would be in good hands with Jacob in charge.

Isabel smiled, "Jacob it is, then. And while we're at it, is there anyone in Counseling who you think should be promoted?" To her recollection, it had been awhile since any of them had been promoted and Nora was the best person to ask about who was deserving. Truthfully, Isabel had already started a shipwide review to see who should be promoted, but hadn't gotten to all the departments yet.

Nora blinked, considering the question. She thought that they were all deserving of promotions, and it wasn’t just her fondness for her staff that made her think so. They were hard-working and dedicated, every last one of them, and they had certainly proved their worth over the past few missions. “To tell you the truth, Isabel, I believe they are all deserving of a promotion. Our department is small, but every member of my staff is exceptional. My official recommendation would be to promote Jacob, as well as Beran Derak (NPC) and Myrna Tovir (NPC). Fira (NPC) is as deserving as the rest, but since she already has a fairly high rank for a Warrant Officer, I think she still has a little ways to go before her next promotion,” Nora said thoughtfully.

"I appreciate your insight. I'll see about putting the promotions in and, if you'd like, you're welcome to give them yourself. I think they might appreciate that," Isabel surmised, smiling. While she typically liked to handle any Senior Staff promotions and any promotions for transferred crew, Isabel thought that having the department heads hand out the promotions was perhaps more meaningful. It didn't always work out that way, of course. "I'm still reviewing some departments to see about promotions, but another I was hoping you could take care of was Ensign N'rass... She's been recommended for the Assistant Chief Engineer position, so she'll be receiving that and a rank promotion."

“Wonderful. I would be happy to do both,” Nora said enthusiastically, bringing her hands together. To her point of view, they were the perfect tasks for her to begin her duties as Executive Officer. It was no doubt going to be difficult for her to say goodbye to her Counseling staff, even if she was only leaving the department rather than leaving the ship entirely. Being able to award them their promotions herself would certainly help her to say goodbye to them, so to speak. “Is there anything else that you’d like me to attend to right away, now that I’ve officially accepted the promotion?” she smiled at Isabel.

Isabel paused, considering Nora's question as she tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear, "Not that I can think of at the moment. You've already been fulfilling the role on an Acting basis, so you can continue with the duties I mentioned then. I'll get you the additional information and you can speak with the department heads when you have the chance. Do you have any questions?"

“Not at the moment, although I’m sure I’ll have plenty once I really jump in.” Nora was certainly glad for the experience she’d had already as Acting XO, and glad that this had all come about during shoreleave, when there were little to no crises to be had. “Well,” she said brightly, “I should probably get going. Now that it’s all official, I should speak to the Counseling staff this morning, Jacob in particular. Someone’s going to need to take over the few appointments I had this week.” It was bittersweet, to say the least, but her reluctance at leaving Counseling was largely overpowered by her excitement and optimism for the future.

“Thank you again, Captain—Isabel. I really am grateful for this opportunity. Let’s just hope that the pair of us don’t come off as too intimidating,” Nora joked, calling to mind Glinn Roen’s (NPC) remark about the ship being run by a ‘women crew’ when she and Isabel had interrogated him a few days before.

"I don't know that we're that intimidating. I'd like to think we can surprise people with our cleverness and cunning," Isabel winked, laughing. "But you're quite welcome. You're certainly worthy of the promotion and I'm sure you'll make an excellent Executive Officer; I'm glad you decided to accept. If you need anything, let me know, otherwise I'll let you jump in and get started."

Laughing at Isabel’s comment, Nora nodded as she prepared to leave. “Thank you,” she said again, gratefully and sincerely. “Wish me luck,” she added with a small smirk, turning to go. It was time to go find a red uniform.

OFF:

A JP by:

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A