Deep and Dark

Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Former Member

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:14 pm

ON:

== Starfleet Headquarters ==
== 0830 Hours, Inquiry Day 4 ==

Tullan (NPC): How did yesterday's hearings go?

Marcus: I heard Grayson got drilled pretty hard by General Beckett.

Jonathan walked through the early morning chill with his former commanding officer, Robert Tullan. Marcus was due at his individual hearing in 30 minutes, and after a breakfast together, the two men had decided to walk the grounds of Starfleet Headquarters, something Marcus had done frequently during his time at the Academy.

Tullan: Any ideas what kinds of questions they asked him?

Marcus: I couldn't get any specifics, but I'm sure they'll ask me about the orders I was given and why I followed them.

Tullan: *shaking his head* Jon, you're the last officer I would've expected to follow orders blindly.

Marcus looked at his old captain, perplexed at what he'd just said. On the surface, it sounded like Tullan was expressing disappointment in his old junior Strategic Operations officer, but Jonathan knew better than that: there was something else hidden in what he said. It was true, in all the years he'd known Robert Tullan, he couldn't think of a single order he'd been given that he didn't question, at least internally, but most often verbally. Why had he followed his orders so closely? Why hadn't he at least questioned what they were doing?

Marcus: Maybe the general's right, maybe I'm not fit to wear this uniform any more.

Tullan: Damned right you're not. Starfleet doesn't need officers who will blindly follow orders, it needs officers who will analyze the situation they're in and take necessary action. Following orders without questioning them can lead to potentially dangerous situations.

Marcus: Yes, sir, I know.

Tullan: I thought your time aboard the Emory would have taught you taught you better. And to think that I wrote shining letters of recommendation to Captain Kersare about your abilities as an officer, about someone who wouldn't be bound to any boxes, who would think outside of the boundaries.

Captain Tullan stopped in his tracks and looked Marcus up and down, a look of disgust crossing his face. He shook his head and turned to walk down a separate path, leaving Marcus alone. What his former captain had said made sense to Jonathan: he had followed orders without questioning them, and that was not like him. He wanted to blame his condition at the time of the incident, but there was more to it than that; he knew it and he was sure Beckett knew it as well.

Jonathan walked the rest of the way alone, thinking. If nothing else, the inquiry had forced him to take a long look at himself as a man and as an officer. After hearing all the evidence against him, he would have levied plenty of disciplinary action against him. It was too late for regrets. Marcus shook the thoughts from his head, straightened his uniform and moved toward the massive double doors, stepping in to face his fate...

OFF

Part 1 of my individual inquiry. Second part coming soon. Mark, feel free to post more to your individual inquiry if you'd like!

Grayson
Senior Staff

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:15 pm

<<<Starfleet Headquarters>>
<<Grayson's temporary Quarters, 1000, enquiry day 4>>

Mark woke up with a hangover. After the enquiry, Mark went straight to a bar and drunk until he couldn't stand. Now, getting up, he decided that had not been a good idea.

His head was exploding with a headache and his legs seemed not function well. As he dragged his feet to the bathroom, the door bell rung. The very sound of the door bell made Mark put his hands over his ears.

Grayson: *sleepy* Enter!

Mark got a surprise when the door opened and his father was standing outside. Mark tried to simulate some anger, but he was not very convincing.

Grayson I: Hello, son.

Mark turned around and walked to the bathroom. His voice came from the bathroom.

Grayson: Don't just stand there, father. Enter. It's not good for you to be seen with a renegade like me.

Mark washed his face with cold water. He heard the door close and the sound of the replicator. He got out the bathroom and looked for his shirt. His father looked at him, clearly disapproving Mark's condition.

Grayson I: You look like hell, Mark.

Grayson: Thank you, sir. I strive to do my best.

Grayson I: You shouldn't making jokes, son. Your career is about to be destroyed.

Grayson: *sitting on chair* The funny thing, father, is that I don't give a damn about that. I feel free for the first time in years. By the way... What do you want? To tell me how stupid I was and such?

Mark's father tried his best to keep his face straight.

Grayson I: I'm here at your mother's request. She is worried about you, despite my attempts to calm her down.

Mark laughed bitterly at that.

Grayson: You couldn't calm down a tribble, why did you thought you could calm down mom?

Grayson I: *raising his voice* Mark, you're not helping! I'm trying to do the right thing here.

Mark got up and approached his father.

Grayson: *angry* You trying to do the right thing?! After what you did? After trying to destroy Lt. Marcus career to save my own? It's ridiculous, father. You should be apologizing to him, not me!

Grayson's father face got red and the man appeared to be about to explode.

Grayson I: I didn't know you were so unhappy! I didn't know what you felt about it! We hardly spoke in almost ten years!

Grayson: Doesn't matter now. Nothing does. Like you said, my career is gone. I'm not here to save myself, but to save another man's reputation. I'm sacrificing myself and I'm feeling good about it.

Admiral Grayson walked to the door, clearly not having anything more to say.

Grayson: Father, it's not late to save Marcus. Forget about me, I will survive.

His father looked at him and shook his head.

Grayson I: It's too late for both of you. Everything is out of control now. There's more people interested in this enquiry. You have no idea, son. You may not believe, but I'm sorry. I tried to help you.

Grayson: *almost whispering* Maybe you should have considered if I did need any help at all. When this is all over, maybe we will see each other again. Right now, you should leave. Tell mother I'm ok. Tell her I'll contact her as soon this whole circus is over.

His father nodded and left silently. Mark sat on his bed, and put his hands over his face. The day was only beginning and he already had kicked his father out of his life, maybe for good.

And to make things worse, his father had hinted that he and Marcus were toasted already. He hoped Marcus could escape, but, that hope was gone now. Mark was pretty sure Marcus hated his guts.

"I'm sorry, JJ. I guess I destroyed you too", thought Mark, looking for the rest of his uniform. Maybe we could sneak in and watch Marcus questioning.

OFF: tag Marcus. I decided to take a different approach.
Lieutenant Mark Grayson II
Chief Intelligence Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

"O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible and hence we can hold the enemy's fate in our hands." - Sun Tzu

Former Member

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:16 pm

ON:

== 2030 Hours, Inquiry Day 4 ==

Hands down, this had been the longest day of Marcus' life. He had met Captain Tullan for breakfast early that morning and here he was, in the 11th hour of his inquiry, literally and metaphorically. Part of him couldn't help but feel that this was, indeed, the final straw of his career with Starfleet. For the first 4 or 5 hours, he'd endured constant questioning about his time at the Academy, followed by another 4 hours of questioning from his time aboard the Majestic and Emory. Only now was the incident in question coming into play.

Major General Beckett had been quiet today, content to use her stone cold stare to bore through Jonathan. The first several hours had been uncomfortable, but after that, he'd grown accustomed to her incessant stares and occassional ripping questions. He focused his attention on the remaining officers on the panel as they asked a myriad of questions. More than once he'd found himself asking what the question had to do with what happened on Maran. It was never more evident that he was a scape goat than when they started twisting words from Tullan's commendation letters.
Jonathan was infuriated, but there was nothing he could do; any defense he offered was shrugged off.

Beckett: Please describe the events leading up to infraction.

Marcus: I was ordered by Captain Kersare to help Lieutenant Grayson with anything he needed. I reported to him and asked what he needed done, at which time he told me he needed information from the Maran intelligence central computer core.

Beckett: So you weren't ordered?

Marcus: No, ma'am.

Beckett: So what you're telling us is that you knowingly committed a violation of Starfleet regulations and spied on an ally?

Marcus: I did what needed to be done, yes.

Beckett: That wasn't the question. Did or did you not knowingly violate Starfleet regulations by gaining unauthorized access to an ally's intelligence network for the purpose of covert retrieval of information.

Marcus: I did.

Beckett: So you admit that the very basis of this inquiry is just.

It was a no-win situation for Marcus; if he said the inquiry wasn't just, Beckett would throw the infraction back at him, undoubtedly with a list of other officers who'd gone through the same type of inquiry and been dismissed from Starfleet (12 if he remembered correctly). If he said the inquiry was just, he was giving Beckett what she needed to dismiss him right there. He was left only to guess what they had against Grayson, but he wasn't the concern right now.

Beckett: Mr. Marcus?

Marcus: I did what needed to be done.

Beckett: *raising her voice* Killing a Maran? Killing a Starfleet officer? Destroying a Federation vessel? Why stop with espionage? Would you 'do what needed to be done' then?

His career was over.

Marcus: Yes, I would.

A sly grin slid across Beckett's face.

Marcus: You sit behind a desk and the hardest decision you have to make from day to day is what you want for lunch. Serving aboard a Federation starship is more than by-the-book situations that can be solved with one answer. What I did saved lives. I stepped outside of the box and did something unconventional. The last thing Starfleet needs is an officer who won't go with their gut and I guarantee you that any officer in Starfleet would do the same. *looking over the panel* I stand by what I did.

Beckett: Very well, Lieutenant. You will be called when we have reached a verdict.

The panel stood and started to filter out of the room. Marcus turned to leave and looked up to see Captain Tullan sitting at the corner of the gallery, a smile on his face. Jonathan understood why he'd said the things he did this morning. Until now, Marcus had thought he'd done something wrong, but he realized he'd done the right thing.

Marcus: You knew.

Tullan: But you didn't.

OFF

Tag: Grayson

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:16 pm

<<Hunt Manor, 1645, Day 2>>

Isabel smiled at Mason's mother. "Mason's been my executive officer for about four months ago. At times he can be stubborn, but he is a very good officer. You should be proud of him. I just recently had the opportunity to promote him."

"I am proud of him; I'm glad he's serving on your ship Isabel. It seems you can get past his stubbornness," Mrs. Hunt(NPC) replied.

Ben(NPC) frowned, "I still think Mason entering StarFleet was a bad choice."

"Uncle Ben., " Mason started, his eyes darting to his uncle.

Isabel looked over at Mason and placed a hand on his arm. She knew how difficult some people could be, but Ben's words didn't matter in the long run. Mason had already demonstrated his ability as far as she was concerned and nothing anyone else said would change her mind.

Mason settled back and took a deep breath.

Isabel broke the uneasy silence, smiling at Mrs. Hunt, "This food is excellent. I can't tell you the last time I've had such a great meal."

"Well, I do enjoy cooking and I've always wanted to meet one of Mason's commanding officers. I'm glad you could come. Which reminds me, you're welcome to stay the night if you wish; I had Mason prepare one of the guest rooms for you."

"Thank you, I just might take you up on that. It's been a long couple of days with the hearings... Would you like me to help you clean up?" Isabel was more than happy to help, especially considering the hospitality she'd been shown thus far. The hearings were draining and the relaxing atmosphere here was wonderful.

Mrs. Hunt stood up and shook her head, "Absolutely not, you're our guest. You're welcome to have a look around at the scenery or retire to the guest room - Mason can show you where it is."

Isabel nodded as she stood, smiling at Mrs. Hunt and Ben. She exited the room, followed closely by Mason. As they headed outside, he turned to her, "I'm sorry about that..."

"Nothing to apologize for. I'm enjoying being here," she told him as her eyes took in the view.

"Would you like to get some sleep, or stay out here for awhile?"

Looking back at Mason, Isabel smiled, "I'd like to stay here awhile."

"Alright, just come get me when you're ready to go to bed, I'll probably be in the living room or study," he informed her.

She placed her hand on his shoulder, stopping him as she grinned and laughed, "You don't need to leave Mason. Why don't you stay? You could show me the river or the rest of the grounds, then I should probably get some sleep before tomorrow. What do you say?"

OFF: Tag Mason.... Oh, don't forget to put (NPC) after an NPC name the first time you use it in a post..I've noticed many of you have been forgetting to do that.
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Grayson
Senior Staff

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:17 pm

<<Starfleet Headquarters>>
<<0930, enquiry day 5>>

Grayson had not contacted Marcus after he had be questioned. Mark imagined that JJ wouldn't be in the mood to talk to the guy who destroyed his career. Deep down, Grayson was the one who didn't want to talk with Marcus. Too much guilt and regret.

But, now, they were together, ready to hear the enquiry team decision. Mark had already packed his things. Why waste time holding a shred of hope? All he wanted it was Marcus to escape that mess.

They got up when Major General Amanda Beckett (NPC) entered the room and sat on her chair, the highest on the stand. Mark noticed that she wasn't particulary happy. Actually, she looked pretty pissed. Her eyes were cold like ice. Mark couldn't tell if that was a good sign or a bad one.

Mark leaned towards Marcus, at his side.

Grayson:*Whispering* Whatever is the result of this, JJ, I'm sorry I got you involved. It was stup?d of my part.

Before JJ could answer, Beckett cleared her throat as she prepared to read her padd.

Beckett: *reading* This enquiry was brought together to gather information about Lieutenant Junior Grade Mark Grayson II and Lieutenant Junior Grade Jonathan James Marcus actions during the USS Malinche mission, which resulted in the invasion of the Maran security files.

Mark sighed. What a waste of time. Just tell him he was out, dammit.

Beckett: Lt. Grayson gave an illegal order to Lt. Marcus, who, using of his free will, complied, invading an ally security system. The order, as the Lt. Grayson confessed at this enquiry, was based in his prejudice against the Maran. Lt. Marcus, then, without thinking about the consequences of his actions, broke into the Maran security file to gather information, when he could just ask our allies.

Mark blinked. What hell Marcus had told the enquiry team? He had claimed responsabilty over his order! Grayson looked at Marcus and shook his head. JJ was an honest man... Too honest. He could have save his own rear if he had just said he was following a direct order.

Beckett continued reading.

Beckett: Despite of this, the Maran Republic dropped her grievances against the accused. Still, the enquiry had to decide if the accused acted inside Starfleet regulations.

Beckett stopped to read for a moment. She took her eyes from the padd and glared at the two young officers.

Beckett: Is this enquiry decision that, their actions were illegal and cannot be condone by Starfleet. The usual punishment is dishonorable disacharge. Personally, I would charge them with espionage.

Mark's fist closed. That was a damn injustice. He was ready to shout that, when Beckett, resumed her reading of the padd.

Beckett: Still, they are two officer with a clean record and acted only thinking at the Federation's best interests. So, instead of dishonorable discharge, the two officer will have only have record this enquiry decision on their files. I would like to add that you two should be ashamed of yourselves by hurting Starfleet reputation. I hope you two know how close you came to lose everything and with this in mind, act inside the boundering of the Law. This enquiry is over.

And with the sound of the hammer hiting the table, Grayson and Marcus torment was over. Mark could hardly believe. He thought he was goner. All he done was to insult the higher officers, to talk back. How the hell he had escaped?

The room started to get empty, as the two officer got up of their chairs. Mark looked around and saw Beckett leaving the room. She looked quite angry.

Grayson: *to Marcus* Do you understand what just happened?

Marcus shook his head. He, too, was shocked.

Marcus: They let us go. Why?

Grayson: I don't have a clue. But, somehow, I don't think they liked doing that. Uh... Let's the hell out of here.

OFF: Tag Marcus.
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

"O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible and hence we can hold the enemy's fate in our hands." - Sun Tzu

Former Member

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:18 pm

This is it, the inquiry is over. I'm just adding a bit to the end here. Mark, let me know if you want me to edit any of this and feel free to post stuff that happens after.

ON:

== 0930 Hours, Inquiry Day 5 ==

<< insert >>

Beckett (NPC) stopped to read for a moment. She took her eyes from the PADD and glared at the two young officers.

<< /insert >>

Beckett's gaze flashed between Grayson and Marcus, her eyes refusing to be stopped by any superficial wall either raised around himself. They knew this was it, it was just a matter of how bad it would be. They both realized that the brunt of Beckett's force would come down on Jonathan, he knew this, he accepted this. His shoulders fell backwards and his pushed his chest out as she started to speak directly to him.

Beckett: Mr. Marcus, you were in direct violation of Starfleet regulations, and furthermore, showed a complete lack of logical and linear thinking associated with an officer whose primary function on a Federation vessel is strategic. However, we aren't here to evaluate your performance as a Strategic Operations officer. Do either of you have anything to say before we announce this sentence?

Marcus: Regardless of the findings of this inquiry, ma'am, I know what we did was right, no matter how many regulations it may have violated. What we did saved lives, and while the means weren't the best, I believe the ends justify them.

Grayson: *nodding* Couldn't have said it better myself.

Beckett: Mr. Marcus, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Honestly, I find your argument flawed: you may have saved lives, but in the process you shattered the very tenets the Federation was founded on. You violated the trust of an ally while bringing your own integrity and loyalty into question. I find those traits of an officer, that once dismissed, are not easily regained. *pauses* Officers in your positions should be stripped of their rank and turned over to the Maran government to do with as they see fit. *looking down at her PADD* That being said, it is the finding of this inquiry that you acted with distinction in the face of overwhelming odds. Even still, you acted irresponsibly in those circumstances. For officers of your caliber, you showed a surprising lack of moral and ethical rationale. Furthermore, it is our belief that you failed in identifying situations of moral and ethical conflict with the oath you took. I will note all of that in the letters of reprimand that will be permanently attached to each of your personnel files. *pauses* Gentlemen, your orders are to return to USS Malinche where you will carry out your respective duties until such time as you are reassigned and/or promoted.

<< insert >>

With the sound of the hammer hiting the table, Grayson and Marcus' torment was over. Mark could hardly believe it; he thought he was goner. All he had done was to insult the higher officers, to talk back. How the hell he had escaped?

<< /insert >>

There was no logical explanation to what had just happened; the only thing that could explain it was divine intervention. The group of senior officers in front of them filed out, followed shortly after by the two galleries, leaving the two officers alone in the center of the room. They turned to each other, the shock evident on both of their faces. Neither of them should have gotten off, but here they were, free men.

<< insert >>

Grayson: *to Marcus* Do you understand what just happened?

Marcus: *shaking his head* They let us go, but why?

Grayson: I don't have a clue, but somehow, I don't think they liked doing it. I say we get the hell out of here.

<< /insert >>

== Marcus' Temporary Quarters ==
== 2000 Hours, Inquiry Day 5 ==

Marcus looked out over the dark skyline of San Francisco from his temporary apartment in casual clothes; it felt good to be out of his dress uniform. He hadn't even unpacked since arriving on Earth, but then again, he thought his stay here would result in another reassignment, not moving back to the Malinche. Jonathan finished off the glass of wine in his hand and set it on the window sill, continuing the watch the busy city and the shuttles flying in and out. He was interrupted by a knock on the door, snapping him out of his daze.

Jonathan marched across the apartment and pulled open the heavy door, revealing a casually dressed man in his mid-thirties. Marcus didn't recognize him and from a first glance, he wasn't anything special.

Man (NPC): Jonathan Marcus?

Marcus: *uneasy* Yes.

Man: We need to talk...

OFF

Tag: Grayson, crew

Hunt
Senior Staff

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:19 pm

<<Hunt Manor, 1645, Day 2>>

"Sure, why not. We can use the backdoor. Soon my mother and uncle will go at it and trust me you don't want to get in that mix."

He had to say that quietly, both his mother and uncle had good hearing although at least he thought too good at times. Isabel and Mason strolled out to the river where it was lined with lillies and roses. Mason loved seeing them grow sometimes when he was young he would be faced with problems that overwhelmed him and the only place that could and would calm his nerves would be this river.

Isabel saw how Mason was looking at it and smiled, since she had only been at his house for an hour already she felt completely calm and relaxed. She thought to herself it must have been the calmness of the way the river flowed and the soothing hum it made as it passed by. The two continued walking down and towards a meadow that had teh best view of the moon then any place on earth.

"Mason, this is truely remarkable. Your mother really owns all of this?"

"Actually, no she gave it all to me when i turned old enough to handle it on my own. She tends to it while im gone. When i retire from starfleet this is where i'm coming home to. How about you? Is there any place special you plan on retiring to?"

<Tag Kersare>

Mason felt abit guily about bringing up retirement on such a fine evening as it was. It wasn't something that was approiate just after eating dinner. Before he gave her a chance to respond he pointed to a piece of streched out land filled with green grass and trees.

"This land has been empty for too many years. I've been wondering what to put there but all I come up with is blanks. (Laughing) what do you think?"

OFF: Tag Kersare
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:19 pm

<<Hunt Manor, 1700, Day 2>>

Walking along with Mason, Isabel felt relaxed. She loved being in space, on her ship, but this was truly peaceful. Her eyes danced over the horizon, drinking up the scenery.

When he brought up retirement, Isabel had to admit she was a bit envious. She didn't like the feeling, but it was there nonetheless. "To be honest Mason, I'm not really sure where I'll go once I retire. I was born and raised on starships; the only time I spent on a planet, other than during missions, was when I was on Earth for StarFleet Academy. Part of me would like to stay in space, as that's the only home I've ever really known, but part of me could see something like this as a home, surrounded by this beauty. Only time will tell, I suppose."

Mason nodded, apparently considering what she said. As she thought about it, he was the first one she had really spoke to about anything involving her life. Granted, some of the others might know some things about her, or her husband's death for that matter. Isabel shook her head slightly, clearing it of Derek(NPC). That had been almost two years ago, and not a pleasant subject anyway.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Mason's words, "This land has been empty for too many years. I've been wondering what to put there but all I come up with is blanks. (Laughing) what do you think?"

She looked around her, frowning slightly as she tried to determine what would best fit in on the land. In truth, Isabel wasn't sure anything should go there. Turning to Mason, she smiled slightly, "Why does anything need to go there? It's beautiful as it is."

Mason nodded, his eyes following the land, "It is beautiful; I just thought that there might be something that could go there that would add to it."

"I highly doubt that there's much that could make it better than it already is, but if you want to add something, you have time to think about it."

Continuing along the river, Isabel closed her eyes and breathed in the scent of nature. Here she felt at home, but in a different sense than she felt at home in space. In space, the home she felt was the home of familiarity; the only one she'd ever known. This was the kind of home where she felt relaxed and safe, at peace.

She looked over at Mason as he walked beside her, "What else do you plan on doing once you retire? Do you want to have a family?"

OFF: Tag Mason
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Grayson
Senior Staff

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:20 pm

<<Grayson's temporary Quarters, 1600, enquiry day 6>>

After that small miracle that saved Marcus and Grayson careers, Mark decided to stay inside doors and avoid walking arounde San Francisco. Not that he didn't like the city, but, the last thing he wanted was to talk to people.

He done something selflessly. He had saved Marcus career. Why? That question was difficult to answer, even to Mark. He had done because was the right thing to do. And to, Mark couldn't deny that to himself, get back at his father.

The computer accused an unknown transmission coming in. At first he decided not to take the call, but, then again, there was no harm in talking to someone?

Grayson: Accept transmission.

The screen blinked. Someone hidden in the shadows, in an unknown place. Mark held his breath. When the person spoke, her voice was eletronicly disguised.

Shadowy Person (NPC): Lieutenant Grayson, I should congratulate you for the enquiry result.

Grayson: You have strange way to introduce yourself.... Mr. or Mrs....?

Hidden Person: I prefer to remain unnamed for now. So, what do you think happened to the sudden change of mind of the enquiry team?

Mark, with all his experience, felt that something bad was about to happen.

Grayson:*hard* I'm not sure, but I couldn't care less. Who the hell are you and what do you want?

Shadowy Person: Well, well... Your confidential file don't mentions this temper of yours. *hardening her voice* You're and your friend still in Starfleet because we interfered. You owe us.

Grayson: How did got access to my files and Who are "us"?

Shadowy Person: *laughs* For an intel officer you're pretty na?ve, aren't you?

Grayson: *irritated* I don't have to listen to this garbage. Computer, Interrupt...

Shadowy Person:*Interrupting* I wouldn't do that if were you, Grayson. Your father career as well yours are on the line.

Grayson: *shocked* What about my father career, you bastard? What do you want!

Shadowy Person: We have a file about your father that could ruin him. Mention the name Firefox Project to him and watch his reaction. By the way, Lt. Grayson. If you want you and that friend of yours to stay in Starfleet, you'll do what we ask. No questions asked.

Mark anger burned inside him. But, outside he kept his face straight. All that could be bluff.

Shadowy Person: I know what are you thinking, Mark. This is not a bluff. We have ways to reopen the enquiry and make General Beckett a happy woman, allowing you two to be judged for espionage.

Mark took a deep breath and let it out slowly. So, it was a blackmail.

Grayson:*talking slowly* Let's assume you're for real, what makes you think I will accept this deal?

Shadowy: Because, if won't, your father will probably rot in prison and you will be there to say hello. You and Lt. Marcus. Think about it. I'll contact you in 24 hours to hear your answer. Do you understand, Grayson?

Grayson: *coldly* Yes. I understand.

Shadowy Person: Oh,If I were you, I would keep this conversation private. Unless you prefer that Starfleet JAG receive some files about your father, you and Lt Marcus. Don't do anything stupid, Grayson. We're watching.

The screen went off. Mark tried to find out the transmission origin, but that was masked and virtually impossible to find out. He let a curse out and kick a chair. He should known better. He should have suspected some foul play. What could he do now? What?

He had to play by that bastard rules for now. He couldn't ruin his father and JJ. He wouldn't care much for his own career, but, he wouldn't allow someone else to burn again. Whoever these people were, they had resources and good inteligence.

Grayson let out an angry cry before he throwed a chair toward the closet's mirror.

OFF: Who are they? :) Tag Marcus.
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Former Member

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:21 pm

Not sure how to integrate the inquiry and shoreleave back together, so I'm not even gonna try!

ON:

== 1100 Hours, Inquiry Day 7 ==

Marcus walked through the lush gardens surrounding Starfleet Headquarters with a bag slung over his shoulder. His dark eyes squinted in the late-morning light that had risen overtop of the towering structures on all sides. Jonathan took in a deep breath of the fresh air and enjoyed every minute of it; he was a free man, he'd been given a second chance and he intended on using it. All of his belongings had been transported up to the Malinche early this morning, but shortly after, they had taken the transporters offline for some routine maintenance. Instead of waiting for the work to be done, Marcus would be taken by shuttle back to the ship. After 6 days in front of a Starfleet Inquiry, he was more than ready to be off Earth.

The flora all around gave way to a more industrial and concrete look as he approached the landing sites that were just outside of the gardens. Every imaginable type of shuttle was landing and taking off from the site, ferrying various people around the planet and into space to the orbiting stations. From a distance he could make out the markings of the Malinche on the side of a Type 9 shuttle, a single officer standing nearby waiting to shuttle him back to his ship. He approached the officer, an ensign, who saluted almost immediately.

Marcus: *nodding* I assume you're here to take me to the Malinche, ensign?

Rachel Lyran (NPC): Ensign Rachel Lyran, sir. And yes, I'll be taking you.

Marcus: If you don't mind, ensign, I'd like to get off this planet. I've had quite enough of San Francisco.

Lyran: *smiling* Yes, sir.

Rachel led the way through the rear of the shuttle, punching several commands into panel and closing the rear hatch. Marcus took the seat next to the young woman and turned to look at her. There was no denying that she was a lovely woman: curly blond hair that hung just above her shoulders and green eyes that sparkled in the dim light of the shuttle cockpit. Just from a first glance, she reminded him of Michelle. Jonathan forced the thought of Michelle out of his head and turned his attention back to the console in front of him.

Marcus: Are you stationed aboard the Malinche?

Lyran: Yes, sir, was just transferred there a few days ago.

Marcus: Congratulations. What department are you working for?

Lyran: Actually, sir, I was supposed to have your job.

Marcus: Nice to know they don't waste any time replacing me.

Lyran: Now that you're back, I'm sure our orders will be rescinded.

Marcus: Our? Wait, are you saying they assigned more than one person to replace me?

Lyran: Yes, sir. Myself and Ensign K'vhell (NPC).

Marcus leaned back in his chair as the shuttle lifted off the ground and started to sail over the buildings of Starfleet Headquarters. Part of him liked the idea that Starfleet felt it would take two officers to fill his void. Perhaps this was Starfleet's way of saying something about the work he'd done aboard the Emory; he could only hope.

Lyran: I'm afraid it isn't what you think, sir. Ensign K'vhell was already due for assignment aboard the Malinche and when Starfleet found out about your inquiry, they bumped me up.

That certainly was a blow to his ego; apparently he wasn't as important as he had thought. Perhaps it was better that way. It must have been the look in his eyes that told Ensign Lyran what he was thinking. She'd been honest with him, something he liked in an officer.

Marcus: It might be a little premature to pack your things, Ensign.

== USS Malinche, Main Shuttlebay ==
== 1130 Hours, Inquiry Day 7 ==

Marcus' feet hit the floor of the shuttlebay and he looked around at the enlisted officers running around to secure the shuttle. Off to the side, the Delta Flyer sat uninterrupted; he hoped that Ragna had finished repairing it, the last thing he needed was to be cleaning up another mess he'd made less than an hour back onboard. Jonathan saluted to several of the enlisted officers as he marched out of the shuttlebay and toward his quarters to unpack, to settle into his new home.

OFF

Hunt
Senior Staff

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:21 pm

<<Hunt Manor, 1715, Day 2>>

They walked passed a grove of blossoming yellow roses when they stopped. Mason needed to think about that question he had not even thought about it himself. He moved foward a bit and knelt down to smell one of the roses.

"To be honest im sure about having a family. I have always imagined one I would but my career right now may not allow it. Most officer manage to cope with leaving their loved ones behind or some how manage their lives with them on board any ship or assignment. Don't get me wrong the idea is open and in the air for now things may change along the line."

<Tag Kersare>

Finally they reached the end of the riverbed and went back into the house, by now everyone had finshed talking and eating and had gone off to bed. It was odd the house seemed rather quiet adn serene to Mason. He didn't feel much like sleeping and wasn't really that tired. It was only about ten in the evening, he walked with Isabel up to her room.

"Well, this is where I leave you. If you need anything I'm just down the hall. Good Night."

<Tag Kersare>

Mason was hungry again and went down stairs to the kitchen for a bite to eat. He saw a light on as he walked he had thought everyone went off to bed. His mother was in there washing dishes and getting breakfast ready for the next day. She had already set out a plate with left overs on the table. Hunt loved left overs.

"So mom, what did you think of Isabel?"

"She seems to be a pleasent young woman a delight to be around. Your lucky to have her as your Captain. Where is she?"

"Upstairs, sleeping I imagine. Yeah she is a good Captain by far the best I have ever served with."

"When are you due to head off to your ship?"

"Not sure really, its undergoing a barrion sweep and repairs are needed in certain areas of the ship."

Mrs. Hunt(NPC) finshed up the dishes and sat with Mason at the table. She had the look of tiredness in her eyes.

"Mom, is anything wrong?"

"Hmmm, no just a bit tired son. This house and your uncle."

He smiled putting down his fork.

"Mom, how come you just don't pack up and head for florida. You have been wanting that for sometime now. I can arrange for someone to handle things around here while im gone."

She shook her head rather quickly.

"No, i would miss this house to much besides you know how I am when i clean and how I keep house. Plus I need to stay busy. Now stop talking and eat then off to bed you go."

Mason finshed his meal and left for upstairs. He went into his room and got right into bed dozing off into a deep sleep.

OFF: Tag Kersare
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B

Former Member

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:22 pm

<< USS Malinche, Ragna's Personal Quarters >>
<< Day 3, 1530 >>

Ragna finally woke up, finally starting to feel coherent again. First thing he did was get cleaned up, then he went to the shuttlebay really quick, to make sure it wasn't a dream that he fixed the Delta Flyer, then went back to his room to do a little research.

Over the next few days Ragna went through the computer records and schematics of the Malinche and all craft it contained, paying particular attention to thrusters, engines, and other navigational equiptment. This was something Ragna had been wanting to do since he had been notified he'd be on a Prometheus class starship, but was unable to find any significant amount of information, until he got on board, since the ships computer had past navigational data, and the ships specs.

<< Day 7, 1300 >>

Ragna spent most of the morning decorating his quarters with various items, spending a particularly long time organizing one section which showcased a cane, hairpiece, and a prosthetic leg.

The door chimed. Ragna was still fidgeting with the prosthetic leg, and called out.

Ragna: Come in.

With that, the door slid open, and in walked Marcus, who slowly looked about the room. Ragna finished adjusting the prosthetic leg, and turned aroud to face Marcus, but Marcus' eyes were caught ont he leg.

Ragna: How was the inquiry?

Marcus couldn't help but keep looking at the leg, but did his best to keep his attention on Joseph.

Marcus: Yeah, it went well. I got convicted but let off with a slap on the wrist. Is that Commander Wallace's leg? Commander Wallace, The flight instructor for the academy?

Ragna: NO! No, of course it's not Commander Wallace's leg. There is no commander Wallace, there is only a Captain Wallace, Head of the Flight Control Department.

Off:
Tag: Marcus, crew
NCC 38997-B

Former Member

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:23 pm

ON:

== USS Malinche, Ragna's Quarters ==
== 1300 Hours, Day 7 ==

He didn't know what to say as he stared at the leg hanging from the wall. Wallace had taught Advanced Piloting during Marcus' final year at the Academy, a course all Strat Ops officers needed to graduate. For the most part, Marcus had been a B+ student, but he only squeaked by Wallace's course with a C-. He was known as one of the hardest officers at the Academy. The only quirk about Wallace was the fact that he wore a prosthetic leg and walked with a cane from an injury he'd sustained in a shuttle crash years earlier.

Marcus: *in disbelief* You stole Wallace's leg? I would NOT have wanted to be in the same sector when that happened. It's a wonder you still have those pips on your collar.

Ragna: *smirking* Who said anything about this being Captain Wallace's leg?

Marcus: What about the cane? I'd recognize those Bajoran gems in the head anywhere. *rubbing his head* I might still have a scar from when he clubbed me with it.

Ragna: I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about, sir.

Jonathan looked at the wall displaying the prosthetic leg, toupe and cane. He shook his head with a small smile at the trophies Joseph had collected from pranks. There was really no doubt in his mind that it was in fact Captain Wallace's, but no one would hear about it from him.

Marcus: Let me guess, you were the class clown.

Ragna: Of course not, sir, I'm afraid of clowns.

Marcus: *shaking his head* I wanted to come by and make sure the Delta Flyer was back in operable condition. I just got done getting reamed by Starfleet and the last thing I need is to have Captain Kersare on my case.

Ragna: Does she even know you're back yet?

Marcus: As far as I know, she hasn't been contacted. The Delta Flyer, cadet?

OFF

Tag: Ragna

Former Member

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:23 pm

<< USS Malinche, Ragna's Personal Quarters >>
<< 1300, Day 7 >>

Ragna: Well, what actually happened to the Delta Flyer was shortly after you were sent back to earth, Lt Grayson actually took the Delta Flyer back to earth before I was able to fix it completely.

Marcus: *turning to head to the door* Ok, so lets go finish it up.

Ragna: BUT, when the Malinche got back to earth, I was able to track it down, and finished reinitializing the memory core buffer, I went out and saw a few of my friends who are still attending classes and we went over to Spain and had some fun.

Marcus: Really? How did that go for you?

Ragna slowly shakes his head, then looks back at Marcus.

Ragna: You know Marcus, as soon as I find out, you'll be the first to know.

Tag: Marcus
NCC 38997-B

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:25 pm

<<Hunt Manor, 0730, Day 3>>

Isabel woke slowly as the sunlight came in through the window. Her eyes blinked several times as she raised herself up on her elbows. Looking down she saw several blankets on top of her... Unless she had retrieved them in her sleep, someone else had come in and covered her up.

Slipping out of bed, she stood and stretched. Being here helped to refresh her. It was a nice feeling. Noticing a towel and washcloth on the chair nearest her bed, she took them and headed to take a quick shower.

Ten minutes later, freshly showered and dressed, Isabel decided to head downstairs. Ever since she got out of the shower, she'd been smelling something rather good drafting up the stairs. Just as she was stepping out of the door, Isabel ran smack into Mason. "Mason, I'm sorry about that. Are you alright?"

He smiled, "Yes, I'm fine. No need to be sorry, I should've watched where I was going. I was just coming to get you for breakfast, are you hungry?"

Stepping outside the room, she grinned. "Yes, I am. I've been smelling breakfast since I got out of the shower."

"Well, let's go then, mother probably has it all ready by now. How did you sleep, Isabel?" As he questioned her, the pair headed down the hallway towards the stairs.

"I slept great. It was refreshing; and having the sunlight wake me was nice."

Isabel and Mason rounded a corner and entered the kitchen. Mrs. Hunt (NPC) was, not surprisingly, busy cooking, smiling at the two as they walked in. "Good morning Mason, Isabel. Ready for breakfast?"

"Good morning mother. I'm always ready for your breakfasts."

"It smells wonderful Mrs. Hunt."

As she put some finishing touches on the meal, Mason gestured towards the table and pulled a chair out for Isabel, then took a seat next to her. She smiled at him. "Thank you Mason, for having me come. I've had a wonderful time. Do you have any plans for the rest of shoreleave?"

OFF: Tag Mason
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A