Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Setak
Crewmember

Re: Mission 20 - Answers

Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:08 pm

IC:

<USS Malinche, Sickbay, Day 11, 1000 hours>

Aurora hated this. She disliked being mistrusted by Starfleet, looked at with a suspicious eye. But she confessed from their point of view it was simple prudence. While some species looked so much alike to outsiders, in her case it was true down to a genetic level. Hence the genetic marker in her system, placed there by Starfleet Intelligence. Now whenever she was given a new assignment the ship's doctor had to test her blood for it.

She entered sickbay, glancing about for the doctor...

Maria Del Amico(NPC) had been sequestered away in the CMO's office fulfilling the orders that her erratic Vulcan superior had left for her when a presence entered sickbay. She did not see or hear the individual enter from her place at the back of the room but she didn't have to, as a hologram the ship's sensors were as much a sense to her as her artificial eyes and ears were and the sensors indicated that a biological life form had entered. Maria looked up from her work and made eye contact with the new arrival through the glass walls of the of office before she stood.

In the few seconds it took Maria to leave the office and to approach the woman near the room's entrance the hologram had identified her patient and run a low level scan of the individual's form, the scan indicated no obvious injuries, eliminating the possibility of a medical emergency. "Lieutenant Aurora, correct?" Maria stated with a welcoming grin. "How may I be of service to you today?"

"Well, I'm not sure you can," Aurora confessed, "You see, I need to see the CMO and only he will do. I have a certain...condition that only he can deal with..."

"I see," Maria replied with a quizzical expression. "He is due to return today but so far as I know he has not yet arrived... Are you certain that I cannot help you? I am programed with the medical knowledge of more than two hundred species..."

"Oh...wait. You're the Emergency Medical Hologram?" Aurora cocked her head, she was not sure how she felt about that. There were many frank discussions regarding the rights of artificial life forms at the academy; Data had been a unique case, but then that holographic doctor from Wanderer or whatever the ship had been called brought up all sorts of unique questions. It meant that, potentially, any holographic creation if given enough time and processing power, could achieve sentience.

Aurora decided to try and be tactful, "It is not that you are a hologram; it is an issue of rank, or position. I need the Chief Medical Officer to establish my identity before we leave on this mission. I am a clone, you see. There are special protocols."

"LMH actually," Maria corrected the Lieutenant. "I was designed to serve as a permanent member of the Medical staff aboard the Malinche, experimental at creation but now there are others like me serving aboard a number of Federation vessels."

"Huh," Aurora replied. There hadn't been on one the Ghidora, although now that she thought about it, having a permanent hologram would certainly have been useful in more than one circumstance; a doctor immune to radiation and vacuum would be a handy medic on a starship.

The Hologram shifted her stance and surveyed the young woman before her for a moment before continuing. "A clone..." She marveled openly. It was then that she began to remotely browse over Aurora's personnel file and discovered a surprising amount of redacted information including details on the young officer's specific origin. "You are Human; I was not aware that any Human clones were serving in Starfleet."

"I am the only one, as far as I know," Aurora replied. She cocked her head. Were there non-human clones? She had to look that up, "The problem is a matter of security; my people are outside of the Federation, and so to ensure I have not been knocked out and replaced by one of my sisters I need to have a certain genetic marker unique to my system verified."

"I suppose that makes sense," Maria said as she glanced around sickbay with an unknowing expression. She could likely scan and isolate the genetic marker that the Lieutenant had referred to but she hadn't the authority to make an official note of it. "From a perspective of security protocols. I do believe that the doctor is back on board and should be checking in here shortly, in the meantime I could begin a standard physical scan... I'm sure he would insist upon it anyway."

"That sounds fine to me," Aurora said with a nod. She had known enough doctors in her lifetime, both back home and in Starfleet to know they loved their tests. She thought this sort of thing would be much easier if everyone wore some sort of diagnostic device...Then again, she probably did not want the doctors knowing quite that much about her. She hopped up on the diagnostic table and said, "So...are you always active? Or is it just with the doctor having been away that you were kept online?"

Maria smiled weakly as she began to take scans of Aurora with her Tricorder probe, the results began scrolling across the diagnostic table's readout but being tied into the room's systems allowed Maria to review that data instantly within her holomatrix. She wasn't certain why but the way the Lieutenant had asked her question gave Maria pause; she doubted that Aurora had intended to be insulting or to suggest anything by her words but the hologram took them personally regardless. Perhaps, she thought, it was the insinuation that a hologram should only be left active when needed, used like any other sort of utility software aboard a starship. She was of course far more than a simple computer tool.

"I have complete autonomy," Maria replied while hiding her offended feelings as best as she could. "While my program requires downtime each cycle for routine auto-diagnostics I am fully active at all times and unlike the standard EMH lines I have the ability to self activate as I see fit. The doctor tends to keep me busy with research... I enjoy the challenge."

Aurora was fascinated by the hologram's mastery of subtlety where emotions were concerned. Was she truly offended? She remembered the ethics classes at the academy and the frank discussions regarding artificial life and their rights; if they were even people or just programs going through the motions. It was hard enough for some people to see androids as people; holograms did not even have physical bodies. Oddly enough, Aurora could sympathize; there were those who did not see clones as real people, or at the very least second class citizens.

"It's obvious he trusts you a great deal," Aurora said, not certain if she had offended, not quite sure how to apologize if she did. She decided to change the subject, "So, meeting you solves one mystery; I was wondering why there were so many holo emitters sprinkled throughout the ship."

"That's standard for the Prometheus class," Maria confirmed. "The idea being that having an EMH, or LMH as is the case here, with free range during the event of a crisis would permit the hologram to access areas of the ship that Organics cannot."

Setak slowed his pace as he entered Sickbay to find the Long Term Medical Hologram, Maria, examining an unfamiliar patient and he listened to their conversation for a few moments before proceeding inward. He was pleased to see everything exactly where he had left it and despite the manner in which he departed the Malinche he was pleased to be back. As the pair took notice of him he smiled slightly before approaching to see if his presence was needed.

Before Aurora could respond she looked up and saw the Doctor. A Vulcan. Who was smiling.

Oh, great, Aurora thought. The CMO was a Romulan...!

OFF

A Joint Post brought to you by:

Lieutenant JG Aurora
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and

Maria Del Amico (NPC)
Long Term Medical Holigram
USS Malinche NCC 38997-A
(Played by Lieutenant Provisional Setak)

and
Lieutenant Setak
Biologist
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Setak
Crewmember

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 am

OFF: This is a back post

ON

<Planet Vulcan, Virot Monestary, MD03, 1350h>

Setak's legs were on fire as he clumsily lifted one cumbersome foot, placed it on the next step and hefted himself up to repeat the process. He wasn't sure if it was the planet's heavy gravity which made the trek so arduous or if he was just horribly out of shape; he chose to accept the former as the case. Looking up he took in the mountainside before him, a backdrop of jagged ruddy peaks, spires of eroded stone and the straight, narrow climb of stairs that ascended between them toward a distant structure. Sirak was of course a good quarter kilometer ahead of him, the trek a test of her endurance to be sure but one that she was passing.

This is madness, Setak thought to himself as he stared off to the side and observed a Vulcan city, it looked quaintly small from his current perspective but he knew it to be a bustling metropolis. Well, bustling by Vulcan standards anyway. I am a Vulcan, he reminded himself, that's why I'm here after all, to be a better Vulcan. He placed another heavy foot on the next step and pulled himself up followed by another then another. But what does that mean? Is a good Vulcan an emotionless one? Do I have to become one of them? What am I doing here?

Three hours into the climb Setak found himself nearing the summit of the mountain yet even the sight of the looming temple failed to evoke much in his tired body. He was surprised how little he had sweat and equally surprised how little water he had actually required, two facts about his race that Sirak had expounded upon before they ever set out. Despite this he felt quite rugged when his feet finally found the large sandstone courtyard entrance to the Monastery.

Sirak stood with her arms at her sides and an almost concerned expression on her face as Setak crested the last step of the climb. He had taken a full hour longer than her to complete the journey and he looked as if he might collapse from the experience at any moment, to his credit- she thought, he didn't. She was simultaneously impressed with the doctor and concerned about how the next series of events might unfold.

Setak stretched his arms to the sky and did a few torso twists before lumbering toward Sirak with slow and deliberate movements. It was then that he took note of the diminutive figure behind the Security Officer, a wisp of a Vulcan woman clad in a dark brown robe who leaned on a walking staff easily twice her height for support. The woman's eyes were white, she was blind the doctor concluded but her 'gaze' seemed to find Setak regardless. He stopped just before the pair and after receiving neither encouragement nor queue from Sirak turned his attention toward the old woman.

“What do you want?” The elder Vulcan asked in a surprisingly loud, virile voice.

Setak was struck by the directness of the question, he had expected a monologue or at least a lengthy introduction but not... this. He stumbled over the variety of responses that came to mind but only one seemed fitting; the simple truth. “I have come to learn the wisdom of Surak's teachings from you,” he replied at last.

The elder Vulcan remained expressionless for a moment before her lips moved, “I cannot help you with what you seek,” she said and then turned back toward the monastery.

Sirak bowed her head respectfully as the elder shuffled away and then turned toward Setak whose face displayed a mix of astonishment and anger. She knew that the emotion within him was ready to boil over; she had seen it before but there was little she could do but place a hand on her companion's shoulder and gesture back toward the stairs.

Setak's head spun with anger and resentment, uncertainty and doubt. He had no idea what had just transpired, what he had said to offend the venerable Vulcan, but it had been done. He had made the trip for nothing and the thought made him want to lash out, at Sirak at the elder, at the world. He almost did but as his rage peaked something else happened, he recalled the words of Surak from an obscure passage that he had glossed over; 'There is no other wisdom and no other hope for us but that we grow wise.'

Sirak raised a brow as Setak visibly calmed and with a resolute exhalation returned to an even tempered state. She was taken off guard when he began to move after the Elder, slowly following her into the Monastery. Sirak moved into pace just behind and to the side of Setak before placing a hand on his shoulder to slow him, “Are you certain that this is what you want? You must not enter unless you are prepared to take them seriously, to accept their teaching with care.”

Setak nodded mostly to himself but cast Sirak a willful glance, “This is what I came here for right? If she cannot teach me Surak's wisdom then I must experience it for myself. How else can I go forward from here?”

Sirak nodded back thoughtfully but with no small amount of concern. She had brought Setak on this journey so that he might be refused and that he might better learn to control his anger, which he had but she had never envisioned him seeking entrance to the sacred place after being turned away. She would stay at his side through whatever was to come but she could not interfere with his experience once he crossed the threshold. He would be on his own.

OFF
Lieutenant Setak
Biologist
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Aurora
Senior Staff

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:20 pm

<USS Malinche, Sickbay, Day 11, 1015 hours>

Maria Del Amico (NPC) stepped aside slightly to give the doctor a little space as he approached and upon doing so studied his body language, also covertly assessing his vitals via the Sickbays sensors. He seemed somehow different but not drastically so, if anything she thought it was his overall mood that might have changed but perhaps his posture was a little more confidant as well. Letting the moment of curiosity pass she turned her attention back toward Aurora and waited patiently for the introductions to be dispensed.

"Pardon my intrusion but I don't believe we've met," Setak said as he came to a stop before Aurora and he clasped his hands behind his back. He took note of the pips on her collar, they indicated that she was a Lieutenant Junior grade and Setak wondered what department she might belong to. "My name is Setak, I'm the Chief Medical Officer aboard Malinche... and you are?"

For some reason the Romulan - He was a Romulan, right? Vulcans did not smile. Sane Vulcans did not smile - the doctor's manner caused Aurora to fall back into formal mode, the sort of tone adopted when someone in authority did not care what your friends and immediate family called you; they wanted to know the number etched on your arm.

"I am lieutenant junior grade Aurora zero four zero eight slash Ay, Doctor," she said, "Malinche's Chief Engineering Officer. Your LMH has been giving me a physical, but I came down for another reason; a matter of security."

She glanced at the LMH and realized she had forgotten her name already...

"A matter of security?" Setak questioned, he also noted the shift in the Lieutenant's expression and mannerisms. They were slight but detectable none the less and the doctor wondered if he had said something to upset the newcomer. She was a new arrival aboard the Malinche, he was at least sure of that.

Aurora smiled wryly, "I should consider writing this down. I am a clone, I have a genetic marker identifying me as being who I say I am so one of my sisters could not impersonate me."

She glanced at the ceiling, "Although if one of my fellow clones did impersonate me, "sister" is not the word I would use to describe her..."

"Ingenious," Setak said flatly before turning to collect Maria's medical Tricorder, which the Hologram handed over without comment. "From a purely administrate perspective, of course."

"She is in prime physical condition doctor," Maria said as she watched Setak pace over to a computer terminal, presumably to log the marker in his file.

"I would be surprised otherwise," Setak replied somewhat absent minded, before turning back to his 'patient'. "The marker is logged, you are indeed who you say you are. I must admit that I find your presence here intriguing and to be honest, a little confusing. I was made to believe that genetic manipulation was a crime in the Federation, what am I missing here?"
"My people aren't in the Federation," Aurora explained, "I am...an expatriate. The humans of my culture were cut off from the Federation from some time due to, ah, philosophical differences."

She shrugged, "But circumstances have made isolation not only impractical but potentially dangerous, so they were forced to form diplomatic ties with the Federation."

She bit her lip, then said, "At the risk of offending," someone else, she added to herself, "you seem a little...different, for a Vulcan..."

Setak was somewhat surprised to learn of such dissension among a race that claimed so frequently to be enlightened, even the Terrans of this universe had their inner turmoil it seemed. So much for being a universe of opposites, he mused. The mental comparison seemed somehow appropriate to the Vulcan as it almost directly pertained to Aurora's question.

"That would take some time to explain," Setak admitted with raised brows. "The short of it is that I lived apart from my people for most of my life and in fact have just returned from my very first visit to my home world. Considering my peoples typical nature, it's been more than a little difficult adjusting. I am sure that you can appreciate that difficulty, being somewhat of an outsider yourself."

Aurora remembered the visual chaos of all the different faces, the utter confusion she had experienced in hearing the thousand and thousands of different names on reaching San Francisco. She had been medicated for weeks to keep her calm until she got over her initial shock.

"Yes," she replied wryly, "I can imagine it must have been a bit jarring..."

"Is there anything else I can do for you Lieutenant?" Setak questioned sensing a rising level of apprehension from his patient. She obviously wasn't comfortable with the situation though the doctor was certain that it was in part due to more deep rooted issues.

"Hmmm?" Aurora shrugged and said, "No, not right now, Doctor. If you could forward you acknowledgment of my identity to ship's security, the intelligence officer and Starfleet it would be much appreciated. I doubt if the first two will notice the added piece of paperwork added to their respective piles, but Those In Charge love this sort of thing."

"I will have it sent immediately," Setak replied without much inflection. He wasn't sure about Aurora but then again, he wasn't sure about anybody.

She turned to the LMH and said, "I...It was nice meeting you...doctor. I apologize if I came off as being rude. Artificial life forms still take some getting used to for me. I only met one and that was years ago and he was, well, he had a bit of an acerbic sense of humor that takes some getting used to..."

"No apology is necessary," Maria replied after a quick glance at Setak who had stood aside to let Aurora pass. "You weren't the first person that I've unsettled and you are likely not the last. I hope however, now that you have gotten to know me a little, that you will not be uncomfortable around me in the future." She paused and smiled wryly, "and I assure you that my sense of humor is very tactful."

Aurora smiled, then she cocked her head.

"I am just curious," she said, "Are you based on a person, like the emergency medical holograms are? Or are you wholly unique?" she frowned, "Or was that question offensive? I am not trying to offend, honestly! It is just that they used people as templates originally because it was sort of a programming short cut, I understand. I was just wondering how far the science of holography had come..."

"So far as I know I am unique," Maria interjected politely as to suggest that Aurora's line of questioning was acceptable. "To what extent I am uncertain. I believe the technicians who created my appearance used a random visual generation algorithm, though, I have heard rumors that the same lab has used a mixture of their own visages to create amalgamations of some of their other...Projects."

Aurora smiled. She knew a fair share of students back at the academy who spent entirely too much time on their holographic "projects".

Setak watched the exchange with no small amount of curiosity, he too had been curious about Maria's origins but had never gotten around to asking her. He wasn't sure which of the pair was the more intriguing, the artificial intelligence or the clone, what a curious situation- he thought.

"Well, thank you," Aurora replied, "Both of you. This has been very interesting. I suppose I will see you at the dinner, Doctor?"

"The dinner?" Setak asked with a raised brow. "You will have to forgive me Lieutenant, I've not had time to catch up with the duty schedule for the week."

"Oh, I'm sorry, Doctor" she replied, "There is a dinner tomorrow evening in honor of our guests, a group of scientists. Which reminds me; I have to get going; I have to put that special lab of theirs together."

"I see," Setak replied. "Yes, I suppose I will see you then."

Aurora gave both doctors a polite nod and departed. As she headed down the corridor she idly wondered if Setak played poker. Well, if not, perhaps the LMH did?

Setak gave Maria an exhaustive expression as he watched Aurora depart. As he began to set about catching up he couldn't help but to think about the peculiar character that Aurora was and how much of one he must seem as well. He wondered what sorts of characters might grace the Malinche with their presence in the future and what unexpected turn they might cause next.

OFF: A joint post by:

Maria Del Amico (NPC)
Long Term Medical Holigram
USS Malinche NCC 38997-A
(Played by Lieutenant Provisional Setak)

and

Lieutenant Provisional Setak
CMO
USS Malinche NCC 38997-A

and
Lieutenant JG Aurora
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A