Mission 22 - Getting Reaquainted

Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Re: Mission 22 - Getting Reaquainted

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:40 am

ON: <<USS Malinche, Main Armory, Day 2, 1530 hours>>

After finding her quarters and dropping off her new acquisitions from DS9, Awen (PNPC) had gone looking for the various Security/Tactical sections of the ship. Once she'd had a brief look at the main brig and security office, the Bajoran now found herself in the main armory. A large round console sat in the middle of the room. There were also a few tables and shelves, weapons mounted to the walls, a weapon storage room, and a desk. The other armories wouldn't be this elaborate, she knew.

Her dark eyes moved around the room, getting a feel for it and what she had to work with. The armory seemed to be stocked with the latest design of weapons - all new and gleaming. Stepping up to the circular console in the center of the room, her fingertips slid across the smooth surface. Awen looked through the menu and began perusing the Malinche's weapon inventory list. A good idea for the chief to know what they had, after all.

Isabel paused just outside the main armory, waiting for the door to swish open before her. Britney (PNPC) had alerted her that the new Chief Security/Tactical Officer had arrived and, considering what she'd read in the transfer orders, she wanted to meet the woman sooner rather than later. Once she stepped inside, Isabel waited quietly, observing the Bajoran for a few moments. Her new Chief Security/Tactical Officer seemed engrossed in something. "Commander?"

At the sound of another woman's voice, Awen quickly finished reading the last two entries in the miscellaneous gear section of the inventory, saying absently, "One moment." With one last glance to remember where she had been, Awen turned. The Bajoran's eyes took in the red uniform and Captain's pips immediately. "Captain. Apologies; I wasn't expecting you."

Smiling Isabel replied, "No need to apologize; I didn't exactly let you know to expect me, after all. My yeoman let me know that you'd arrived, so I thought I would stop by and see you. I'm not interrupting, am I?"

"Of course not, Captain. I arrived on board about an hour ago. I was planning to report in officially once I'd had a chance to look over the Security/Tactical areas of the ship, ma'am, but now is as good a time as any. I was just going through the inventory," Awen explained. Although she had heard of Isabel Kersare, Awen had never officially met the woman. It was her understanding that Isabel tended to keep an open mind on many things, which was probably good for Awen.

"And what do you think thus far, Commander Fala? I'm guessing you'll want to meet the others in your department and check the other facilities as well, but initial thoughts?" Isabel adjusted her grip on the PADD she'd brought with her. From what she'd read of Awen's service record, the Bajoran could be quite...opinionated.

Awen took a deep breath, glancing around the room again before looking back at Isabel. "Yes, I will want to do that. It's about what I expected, Captain, other than the fact that everything's been newly redone and updated. I have the advantage of having served on a Prometheus class vessel before. The Tethys."

Nodding, Isabel replied, "I did notice that. It will be helpful to have a department head who's familiar with MVAM and the other...unique features of the ship. Not to mention the years of experience you bring as well. From your service record, I see you've served in Security/Tactical, Science, and also as Executive Officer a couple times. I don't often see a mix quite like that. I was a little surprised you would transfer to the Malinche. More so when I found that you had been offered your own command."

And there it was. Awen had been hoping to avoid the subject of the offer StarFleet had made her as well as the inevitable questions about why she would go back to a department head position. But, well, they were inevitable. A serious look fixed on her face, the Bajoran said, "I majored in Science at the Academy, but ended up in Security/Tactical at times due to a position needing filled and my experience with the Resistance during the Occupation. My promotion to Executive Officer on the Pandora was due to some StarFleet political nonsense, so I chose to take a bit of a sabbatical. On the Sentinel I was Executive Officer and Chief Science Officer as it was a smaller ship."

Isabel listened closely, following along with Awen's explanation. She'd heard of the 'political nonsense', as the Bajoran had termed it, on the Pandora. How far it went, she hadn't been sure, but Awen's sudden promotion after some questionable (in StarFleet's mind) actions by the Pandora's Commanding Officer did seem suspicious. Isabel wasn't particularly fond of political maneuverings like that either. "And the offer of command?"

Awen started pacing a bit, fingertips lightly running over the console. The subject made her uncomfortable, but there wasn't much she could do about it. "I didn't want it, ma'am. I've never been very comfortable in exclusively command positions. I prefer to be involved and contributing my knowledge in a specified department. I honestly don't know why they chose to offer me the position in the first place."

"I don't think they would have offered it if they didn't feel you could do the job, Commander. I imagine they saw someone with experience who was also knowledgeable about multiple departments. Someone who displayed leadership abilities and wouldn't get walked over. Someone willing to stand up for what she believes in," Isabel responded as she watched the Bajoran.

At her new Captain's words, Awen stopped pacing to look over at her, "Maybe, maybe not. But even if that is what they saw, I'm not interested. I'm not ready and it's just not what I want." She stood a little straighter now.

Isabel nodded slowly and smiled, "Their loss is my gain, as far as I can tell. Don't be surprised if they offer you command again, though. They tend to be rather tenacious in that regard. In any event, is there anything I can do for you or any questions you have?"

Frowning slightly at Isabel's mention that StarFleet was likely to ask her about command again, Awen then paused to consider the Captain's questions. "I can't think of anything I need at the moment, Captain, but once I've met my department and had a better look around I can let you know if anything is still needed. Do you happen to know what our first mission will be? It would be useful to know so I can make any needed preparations or perhaps start some training."

"I'm afraid not, Commander. StarFleet Command hasn't issued us any orders yet. I presume they're waiting, in part, for the last bits of the refit to be completed. I'm hoping we can go out on a bit of a test drive before our official first mission since the refit. I can let you know when I hear more though," Isabel offered.

"I would appreciate that, Captain. In the meantime I'll make sure we have everything we need and perhaps see about scheduling some drills and training for the department. I can expand some of that to others on the ship later as well," Awen answered.

Isabel smiled, "Excellent. I don't want to keep you, so I'll leave you to it, Commander. I'm glad to have you with us; welcome aboard." She extended her hand, shaking Awen's once it was offered.

Nodding slightly in acknowledgement, Awen said, "Thank you, Captain."

Giving her new Chief Security/Tactical Officer an appreciative nod in return, Isabel then turned and left the armory. All in all, their first meeting seemed to have gone well. Awen certainly seemed competent and her past experience would be an asset to the Malinche. The Bajoran seemed to be fairly straight forward, which Isabel could appreciate. She had a feeling that Awen would let her know if something was needed or wrong. Time would tell how the seasoned officer would fit in with the crew.

OFF:

Commander Fala Awen (PNPC)
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:46 pm

ON:

<<USS Malinche, CEO’s Office - Deck Thirteen, Mission Day 02, 1030 Hours>>

“Computer, run it again,” Derek sighed as he sat at the console behind his desk. He was hunched over the control surface, his left arm holding up his head. He and Mr. Aarden had been crawling around in the Jeffries tubes for a couple hours following Aarden’s alarming, albeit misprogrammed, diagnostic findings. Having just finished up, Derek had returned to his office to run some more simulations and diagnostics on the warp plasma relays. Everything looked good, but he wanted to be thorough.

The computer chimed accordingly and gave its time estimate for the diagnostic to be completed: fifteen minutes. Well, that should give me enough time to take it apart. He swiveled his chair to face his desk, and the interlink flow governor that was sitting on it. He and Ren had pulled this particular unit from one of the Alpha to Beta hull conduits for testing. He had just started to degauss the component with a micro-resonator when the doorbell chirped.

“Yes, come in,” Derek replied. He was mildly annoyed at being interrupted just as he was settling into his task.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It had been a long while since Nora had stood in the Malinche’s Main Engineering, and while she was no engineer herself, she knew enough to be rather impressed by some of the changes brought about in the refit. There was a veritable hive of activity around her, and yet it was clear that everything was well in hand, a fact which could only be attributed to the ship’s new Chief Engineer.

Said CEO was, in fact, the reason Nora found herself in Engineering in the first place. After arriving embarrassingly late to her first appointment of the day, the Betazoid was determined that the rest of her morning would run a little more smoothly. First on her list was visiting some of the new members of the Senior Staff, beginning with Lieutenant Commander Tournneau. After pressing the doorchime outside his office, she waited for a moment until she was bid enter, then stepped inside.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“You must be Commander Tournneau,” she said with a smile to the man seated behind the desk. “I’m Nora Zeral, Malinche’s Executive Officer. I hope you’ll forgive me for barging in on you like this, but I wanted to introduce myself and see how you’re settling in.”

Derek quickly stood up from his desk and stepped around it to greet Zeral properly. He felt a bit chagrined at his initial annoyance. I suppose I should expect interruptions while we’re all trying to get the ship prepped. He drew himself up and offered her a quick salute. “Yes, ma’am, of course. Thank you for stopping by.” He waved her towards a workbench with a few stools arranged around it. “Care to sit down?”

“Thank you, yes,” Nora said, looking curiously over the objects on his desk as she walked past. “It seems the ship’s been keeping you plenty busy since your arrival. I hope there haven’t been too many unpleasant surprises,” she smiled, settling herself on one of the stools. “There usually are at least a few in a refit like this, or so I’m told.”

“No, nothing too serious - at least not yet,” Derek explained. He looked over at the component on the desk. “As you can see, the team is doing some diagnostics on the plasma transfer network - there was an anomaly in a simulation this morning, but everything seems to be working nominally so far.”

“It sounds like you have things well under control,” Nora said appreciatively. “And how are you finding the members of your team? Most are new to me on account of the refit, but I have a good feeling about your department.”

“Well, everyone seems pretty gung-ho to get underway, but…” Derek looked over at the relay lying on the table. “We had a small incident with a simulation this morning. It should have been fairly straightforward, but one of the teams didn’t configure it properly. Now, we have to pull apart the EPS relays to double check the results. It’s the prudent thing to do anyway, but it does concern me a little bit. I’m sorry, I don’t want to seem like I’m complaining,” Derek explained, “but the crew is a little green. Bright, very sharp, quick learners - certainly. Just a little inexperienced is all. There are a lot of things that they don’t exactly put in the manual,” Derek chortled.

“You don’t seem like you’re complaining,” Nora assured him. In fact, this was far more familiar territory for her, being a counselor and psychiatrist by trade. “I’m sure it can seem a little unnerving at times to entrust the inner workings of a technologically advanced starship to a team that is a little green, as you put it. You may have your work cut out for you over the next few weeks,” she said, smiling wryly. “But the beauty of starting with a fresh department, or so I’ve always thought, is that you have the chance to really mold your team. The older or more experienced a crewmember, the less likely they are to bend or try things in a new way.”

“That’s true, ma’am,” Derek conceded, but he was still a bit concerned. “But all the same, these kinds of mistakes can add up - today, it’s an inconvenience on an already busy day,” he said as he gestured to the component on the desk, “but we could easily be up to our necks in busywork if this continues.” He rubbed the back of his head in frustration, mostly at himself at this point. She doesn’t need to hear you whine about your officers, she just needs to know if the boat is in order, he chided himself.

“Anyway, I’m just talking your ear off. Is there anything in particular that you would like to know regarding the ship’s status? Or are there any systems that you have had difficulties with since you’ve arrived?”

“No, nothing I need to know in particular,” Nora smiled. “I’m happy to leave it to the experts, and I’m sure we’re in good hands here. Mostly I wanted to meet our new Chief Engineer, and see if there was anything I could do for you as XO.”

“Nothing else for now, ma’am, thanks for coming down to the underbelly! I’ll keep you up to date on this in my report. It’s nice to meet you in person,” Derek said as he stood and offered his hand for Zeral to shake.

Shaking his hand, Nora smiled and nodded. “Keep up the good work, Commander Tournneau. She’s a good ship, and I’m glad she’s in your care. Until later, then.” Satisfied by their meet and greet, and certain that he was eager to get back to work, Nora saw herself out.

Derek remained standing at the bench until Zeral left, and then turned back to his desk. The flow governor and the micro-resonator were waiting patiently for him to get started again. Well, maybe I can finish this before lunch. I’ll need some help...

“Computer, shuffle playlist ‘Work Mix 2’.”

The computer chimed as aggressive electronic music was pumped into the room through the intercom. Derek sat down and restarted the degaussing process, the resonator’s quiet hum being drowned out by the driving rhythms of Derek’s music.

OFF

A joint post by
Lieutenant Commander Derek Tournneau
Chief Engineer, USS Malinche

and
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Tournneau
Senior Staff

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:51 am

ON:
<<USS Io NCC-80105 - Bajor Sector - Mission Day 03 - 0700 Hours>>

Viradia(PNPC) was just finishing up her morning routine as the Io’s Captain(NPC) addressed the crew on shipwide comms.

“Captain Ferguson to all hands, we are approaching the Bajor system. ETA to Deep Space Nine, twenty minutes. Transfer personnel, report to your assigned holding area and please make ready for our arrival.”

Oh no, that's me! Viradia exclaimed to herself. She had already packed all of her belongings, but it had taken her far longer than she anticipated the previous night. She had overslept and was now scrambling to get ready to disembark.

She was standing in her temporary quarters' lavatory, just finishing up her makeup, applying some dark blue eye shadow. It contrasted nicely with her fiery, orange eyes, and complimented her sea-blue skin. Satisfied with the result, she applied black lipstick to her mouth. The cosmetics were decidedly un-Bolian, but rather a habit she picked up during her time on Earth. She had developed a look that she, and her peers, had grown accustomed to.

She examined herself one last time in the mirror. Her uniform was freshly pressed - the yellow stripe running down the leg of her black officer’s trousers was pleated perfectly. She zipped the jacket up and applied one last light dusting of blue foundation to her bare head. She felt that it evened out the spots and mottled stripes along her skull ridge. Viradia packed up the cosmetics and placed them in one of the crates stacked in the center of her small temporary quarters, which contained all of her belongings.

She turned to leave and caught sight of herself in the mirror again. She stopped and thumbed her rank pips, the two bright golden dots catching the light as she played with them. OK, Lieutenant Beladd, time to shine! She keyed the door and left her quarters, and headed for the ship’s lounge.

<<USS Io - Forward Lounge - 0710 Hours>>

Viradia arrived in the lounge to find it already quite crowded with the other transfer personnel that the Io was ferrying to DS9. Some might be with her on the USS Malinche, but most of them were spread out across the other assignments present at the station, whether the shipyard, other starships, or the station itself.

There were so many people standing by the wall of windows that Viradia could not get close to it; fortunately, her tall height allowed her to see over the other personnel easily. The captain came on the intercom again.

“Ferguson to all hands, we are arriving in the Bajor sector. Prepare to drop out of warp; secure all stations; department heads, begin checklist for docking procedures.” The captain left the intercom open as the station traffic controller contacted the ship.

“This is Ensign Foster(NPC) of Deep Space Nine, Welcome to Bajor. How do you read, Io?”

“Thank you, Ensign. We read you loud and clear, DS9,” Ferguson’s voice answered. “Requesting permission to drop inside the perimeter and proceed to dock.”

“Negative, Io. Traffic density is too high to accommodate your request, please drop out of warp at perimeter beacon Alpha-2 and await further instruction.”

“Received, DS9, proceeding as directed. Io out.”

Viradia and the rest of the crew turned their attention to the windows ahead. She was only on the ship for a few days, and so she did not really know anyone that she could see. There was that one rather handsome Lt. that had been chatting her up in the lounge yesterday, but he must have been assigned to a different area.
Some of the passengers were chatting quietly with one another, including a pair(NPCs) that was standing close to her.

“Where are you headed,” a red-haired Bajoran civilian asked her companion.

“I’m due to report to the shipyards for some training,” replied her colleague, a dark-skinned human male wearing a Starfleet enlisted uniform. “I’m going to be helping with the next refit the yard has slated.”

“Ah, I see,” the Bajoran responded. “I’m going back home to Bajor, I’ve been on an archaeological mission for the past year in the Beta Quadrant. We’re going to be compiling our findings at the Dakhur Institute.”

Viradia couldn’t help but cheerfully interject. “Oh, that sounds fascinating! What were you studying?”

The two looked up at Viradia, their faces showing pleasant confusion. The Bajoran woman spoke first. “I’m sorry, Lieutenant…” she trailed off in question.

“Beladd, Viradia Beladd, pleased to meet you - yes, I’m going to be assigned to the Malinche, she’s just been refit. A fine ship, I’m to be her assistant chief.”

“Oh yeah?” the human tech said with excitement. “A Prometheus-class, right? That’s a tall order,” he said with a whistle.

Viradia was going to continue, but the entire room quieted as the tenor of the engine cores changed.

The ship shivered slightly as the warp engines began to throttle down, returning more and more of the ship's mass to normal space. Viradia had been on a Luna-class vessel on her last assignment, the Rhea. The whole class had a distinct downwarping feel, all most a gentle rippling that coursed across the ship.

Finally, the warp engines fully disengaged, and the warp lines coalesced into stars. The station seemed to come out of an infinitesimally small point; it stopped growing in size as the ship slowed to rest about 100 kilometers away.

Even from this distance, she could see why the traffic controller had been reluctant to allow their ship to drop in close to the station. There were dozens of twinkling lights, ships, moving about the station, some of them flashing into warp as they reached the perimeter.

After a few minutes, the Io turned toward the station and began maneuvering towards it. The hugeness of the station became more and more apparent the closer they came. The wormhole activated twice as they made their way to the station, eliciting a wondered gasp from some of the crew.

Once they got close enough, Viradia could see it - the Malinche. It's sharp, angular hull gleamed a proud silver and its nacelles glowed with an intense blue. Viradia’s pulse quickened as she took in the view of her new home.

<<Deep Space Nine - Lower Pylon One - 0752 Hours>>

Lt. Beladd’s group was now slated to exit the ship, and so she found herself being herded out of the Io’s airlock and into the gangway leading to the pylon’s turbolifts. She pulled a PADD out of her pocket and opened up her personal calendar.

Arrive, DS9.

Check in, Malinche
Check luggage

Meeting, Lt. Cdr. Tournneau
Chief Engineer

Lunch, Quark’s

Viradia put the PADD back in her pocket as she came to the turbolift. The doors had just closed on the group in front of her, only to open seconds later with an empty lift car waiting. With all of the personnel movements, the turbolift was running in full tandem. She got in first and entered her destination.

Malinche.”

<<Deep Space Nine - Upper Pylon Two - 0804 Hours>>

The turbolift car was finally approaching its final destination. Viradia had been on a grand tour of the station, the other personnel on the car having had the car take them to various other destinations. She was usually very punctual, and although her meeting with Lt. Cdr. Tournneau wasn’t for another two hours, Viradia wanted to make sure that she had adequate time to be settled into her new surroundings.

The car stopped and opened into an identical corridor as the one she had been in fifteen minutes ago, albeit much, much quieter. The sole occupant of the lift car, she strode out slowly and peered out of a window at the Malinche, now far larger than the last time she had seen her.

The space around the Malinche buzzed with activity. There were at least half a dozen workbees putting around the ship, making their final inspection rounds. There were a few crewmembers in EVA suits installing what looked like a comms relay on the engineering hull.

Pulling herself away, Viradia continued down the corridor to the station airlock. Since there was very little foot traffic now as compared to the mornings, the airlocks were kept closed for safety. She keyed the door, and both station side doors ground open in their odd gear tracks. She stepped through and keyed the Malinche’s airlock. The computer chirped and a hand scanner popped out of a concealed casing. Viradia placed her palm on the scanner.

“Please identify for access to USS Malinche-A.”

“Lieutenant Viradia Beladd, Starfleet.”

“Identity confirmed.”

The rectangular doors on each side of the Malinche’s airlock silently hissed open, and Viradia stepped through. There was one ensign(NPC) in a red uniform on duty just outside the airlock in the main hall, standing at a podium. The inner door slid shut behind Beladd as she walked through. The ensign came to attention and saluted Viradia, who returned the gesture.

“Good morning, ma’am, do you have your billeting information yet?”

“No, I have just arrived, Ensign,” Viradia responded. “Here’s my ID.” She handed him her PADD, which contained her credentials.

The ensign inspected it for a moment and then handed it back to her. “Ah, welcome to the Malinche, Lieutenant Beladd. I’m uploading your room info and the duty roster to your PADD now,” he said as he punched some controls on the podium. “I’m Michael Sokolov, part of the shipyard detail. You’ll be happy to know that the ship is ready for duty, with all primary and secondary systems installed and ready to go. Most of the tertiary systems, rooms, and aesthetics have been installed, but there are still several sections that haven’t been finished out.” Sokolov paused, then smiled. “You’re very lucky, Lieutenant.”

Viradia was amusedly puzzled. “Why is that, Ensign?”

“You’re getting a fine ship with a legendary captain. And, your new boss has been a pleasure to work with these past couple of weeks. I think you’re going to really like your time here. It’s been a privilege putting her together,” he smiled as he gestured to the walls around him. “If you need anything while the ship is still berthed, please let me know.”

“Thank you, Ensign.” Viradia smiled as she caught the Ensign’s eyes briefly flit downwards. The officers saluted each other, and Viradia went on her way.

She strode down the short hallway and into the starboard corridor. If she didn’t know better, Viradia would have sworn the ship was brand new. The bulkheads gleamed a matte silver, and the carpets were pristine. The ship thrummed with a quiet, fearsome power. She entered the nearest turbolift.

“Deck 4.”

<<USS Malinche, NCC-38997-A - Deck 4-Alpha, Starboard - 0815 Hours>>

Viradia came up to the room number listed on her PADD. The door placard read, ACEO’s Quarters. She touched it lightly and allowed herself to grin. It was the pride and hope of most Bolians to be a part of a successful team, but to be a leader of that team...quite the thrill. She keyed the door panel and entered the darkened room.

The room was well appointed; not the largest quarters on board, but certainly the largest she had been assigned in her career. There was a common area with a small desk against the bulkhead, and a dining set in the middle. A small loveseat was placed against the single window in the room. Viradia keyed the lights in the quarters and walked into the bedroom. Her belongings had been transported over, and were waiting in a pile in the center of the room.

Well, it’s time to start making it a home!

<<1000 Hours>>

Lt. Cdr. Tournneau exited the turbolift on Deck 4, PADD in hand. He had just finished the morning diagnostics of the core assemblies. Now, he was running just a little behind of his schedule to meet his new Assistant Chief. He was making a last review of her file before he got to her quarters.

“Let’s see here,” he began speaking to himself as he thumbed through the data display, “Viradia Beladd, Bolian, age 29 standard Federation years….big family, good student…..can think on her feet when things get crazy, good,” he noted as he read her file from her previous posting on the USS Rhea. “Good officer all around, and a smart engineer. Just what I need.”

Derek had read through her file before, of course, when he had to put in his recommendations for staffing. But, that was weeks ago, and with all the busyness of finishing the refit, those weeks now felt like months. He had sent official correspondence back and forth with her a couple of times, and had spoken with her on video during her interview, but nothing more than that. Since we’re going to be running this thing together, I hope that we do get along well. Lost in thought, Derek arrived at the door much sooner than he expected. He keyed the door chime.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Viradia was still in the process of unpacking her things. She had barely gotten her clothing unpacked and sorted, and some of the toiletries and accessories laid out in the lavatory. Mercifully, she noted that the facilities in her quarters were already augmented to handle Bolian waste; it would save her the embarrassment of needing to repair a malfunctioning latrine, as happened so frequently at the Academy.

She was just starting to crack open another container when the door chime rang.

“Oh my, it’s 1000 hours already!” she exclaimed to herself. She had hoped to be done unpacking before her meeting with Tournneau, but time seemed to be against her. She straightened herself up and left the bedroom.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“Come in, please”, a pleasant voice called from the intercom. Derek keyed the door release and entered the common area of Beladd’s quarters.

Viradia strode into the room as Derek entered from the doorway, and stopped and offered a salute.

“Lieutenant Beladd, reporting as ordered, sir.”

Derek returned the salute quickly. “Thank you - at ease, Lieutenant. Don’t worry, this isn’t a shakedown,” he said, noting her seeming breathlessness. “I know you’ve just gotten aboard and are probably still settling in. I just wanted to meet with you before we really start in to the job together tomorrow.”

Viradia stood easy and took a deep breath. She was relieved to confirm that the Commander’s demeanor seemed as easy-going as had been advertised. She gestured to the table, and Tournneau nodded and took the offered seat. “Of course, sir, as would I. Would you like anything to drink?”

“No thank you, I’m fine,” Derek returned. Viradia took the seat opposite him at the table. “So, Ms. Beladd, it’s a pleasure to meet you in person after all this time. I know we haven’t really been able to communicate more than just the requisite orders and such, but I just want you to know that I’m really looking forward to working with you. Your file is quite impressive.”

Viradia smiled and nodded in acknowledgment. “Thank you sir, and likewise, I’m excited about working on this ship. It has to be every engineer’s dream to work on a ship like this, don’t you agree?”

“Indeed I do,” Derek said with a smile. “So many different pieces of the puzzle, --”

“Three different cores, each of them so unique, --”

“But they all have to work together,” Derek finished. He was glad to see that his assistant shared the same fervor for the ship’s design. “Yes, it will be quite the undertaking. But I think that we will make a good team. You’ve read the new refit manual, I trust?”

“Yes sir, I have reviewed it extensively on my trip in to the station. I have also made some notes and revisions for your perusal and approval, if you wish.” Viradia offered. “I have already drawn up some modifications for the warp plasma transfer system that should boost efficiency by 2%.”

Derek raised an eyebrow. “Well, aren’t we eager? I’ll certainly take a look at it, but I’ll warn you - theory and practice rarely go hand in hand. The ship has already proved to be a little - temperamental - shall we say? I would also talk to some of the staff that have been on the ship previously before attempting any modification.”

“Ah, I see, Commander.”

Derek could see that the Lieutenant was a little taken aback. “Don’t misunderstand me, I’m glad that you’re taking some of that famous Bolian initiative. Your service record is why you have this job - you have shown a knack for thinking outside of the box, and I want you to continue looking for new and better ways of doing things. I would just suggest that you allow yourself to settle in and get a feel for the ship before we start tinkering with it too much.”

Viradia nodded and smiled. “Understood, sir - of course, I am ready to start getting my hands dirty and get familiarized with the ship systems first hand.”

“Good - well, you’ve got a busy day ahead of you tomorrow, Lieutenant. We’re going to hold a department meeting at 1000 hours, and then you’re up on the roster for the Day Shift - supervisor for Main Engineering. Think you’re ready for it?”

“Absolutely, sir - I look forward to the opportunity.”

“I’m glad you are - but don’t worry, I’ll be around if something comes up. I’m something of a workaholic, as the human phrase goes.” Derek rose, and Viradia followed suit. Derek had to crane his neck slightly to look up at the Lieutenant. “Very good to meet you again, Ms. Beladd. I’ll let you continue settling in. If there’s nothing else, I’ll see you in the morning.”

Viradia offered her hand to Tournneau, who took it and shook it firmly. “Of course, sir. Nothing else for now. I’ll let you know if anything comes up.” The Commander smiled and left the room.

Viradia was happy to see her supervising officer was as dedicated and passionate about the job as she was, if not even more so. She hoped that she had balanced initiative with respect, but the Commander seemed to be understanding. She turned back to the bedroom and the stack of containers waiting for her there.

Well, I’d better get this all sorted before lunch. Maybe then I can start poking around the ship before tomorrow. I’d better be on point for the meeting, and then my first shift! Have to try and get to know some of the staff before then.

OFF

Unnamed Bajoran Scientist (NPC)
Dakhur Institute

Unnamed Human Technician (NPC)
Utopia Planitia Shipyards

Captain Ferguson (NPC)
Commanding Officer
USS Io, NCC-80105

Ensign Daniel Foster (NPC)
Flight Officer
Deep Space Nine

Ensign Michael Sokolov (NPC)
Duty Officer
Beta Antares Shipyards

Lieutenant Viradia Beladd (PNPC of Tournneau)
Assistant Chief Engineer
USS Malinche, NCC-38997-A

and
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Brex
Senior Staff

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:06 pm

ON: [[Mess Hall, USS Malinche, Mission Day 03, 1207 Hours]]

“Catfish poboy, fries on the side. Iced cola,” Derek ordered at the replicator station. The computer chirped and the meal whirred into existence. Derek allowed a smile to spread across his face as he picked up the tray and found a seat by the window - that is, the holographic display along the back wall that simulated a window.

Derek gazed out at the starfield, watching the path of the ships coming and going from the station. He looked down at his meal again. Sure, it’s not the healthiest, but it is the happiest. It had been a long couple of days for Derek - the team from the shipyard was working overtime, trying to get everything finished off for the upcoming space trials. He had spent the better part of yesterday tearing apart and putting together the EPS relay system following Aarden’s anomalous simulation. Everything was on schedule, but just barely. He knew he had a second shift coming soon, so he was happy to take a moment to just sit and enjoy a hearty meal.

“Mind if I join you,” a voice asked.

Derek looked behind him and found the source of the voice - Lt. Brex, the Denobulan Ops officer. He awaited Tournneau’s reply with an extra-large friendly grin on his face.

“Oh, hi there Brex, good to see you again. Sure, grab a seat,” Derek offered as he waved towards the seat across from him.

Having received an invitation, Brex moved to sit down. It was the first time either of them had really seen one another since they’d ridden the turbolift up together from the docking ring two days prior. Then again, given how that particular experience had gone, it was no wonder the Commander had invited Brex to join him.

Brex placed his tray on the table and pulled out the chair opposite. Then he lowered himself into it so that he was facing Tournneau directly. “I see you’ve been keeping yourself busy,” Brex said, allowing his smile to fade somewhat. In all honesty, from where the Denobulan sat, it seemed to him as if the Malinche’s Chief Engineer have been running at warp speed for some time - and they hadn’t even left the station yet.

He unfolded his napkin and laid it across his lap. “You’re not still storing furniture in your quarters, are you?”

Tournneau chuckled as he bit into his sandwich. “No, the furniture is gone - mostly, anyway. Yep, we’ve been up to our necks in work - I’m sure you’ve had the same with the last touches. I’m ready to get this old girl underway, it feels wrong to be sitting in one place, don’t you agree?”

Brex didn’t disagree with him. It hadn’t been all that long ago, relatively speaking, he’d actually requested a transfer. The first time ever. Despite having had the opportunity to be part of an extremely creative and challenging design project, Brex had gotten tired of sitting behind a desk at Utopia Planitia. That, in and of itself, had been unusual for him. Denobulans were known for being a very patient people. Yet he could still remember how restless he’d felt.

“For everything there is a season,” Brex quoted as he started poking around his plate, “and a time for every matter under heaven.” He stuck an entire forkful of salad in his mouth, chewed, and swallowed. The entire process lasted only a few seconds, but it left enough of a gap that his words seemed to stretch across the open space. “I do believe that comes from one of your ancient Earth texts, if I’m not mistaken.”

Derek raised an eyebrow in curiosity.. “Ecclesiastes? I didn’t realise that was standard reading on Denobula. Hell, I don’t think it’s even standard reading on Earth anymore.” Derek examined the Denobulan, matching his bemused smile. Derek put down his sandwich to wipe the tartar sauce off of his hands. “So, what did you take away from that particular passage?”

“Well, I can’t be certain, but I imagine one interpretation might be that nothing lasts forever...not even waiting,” Brex replied. He lifted another forkful to his mouth and then promptly washed it down with a little ambrosia nectar. “I certainly understand your eagerness to get underway,” he continued, “I empathize with it. Just imagine how much more satisfying it will be when they give the order, now that we’ve been anticipating it…”

“That’s certainly one way of looking at it. As for me,” Derek elaborated, “I’ve been here for over two weeks now, and I’ve been preparing for this for over three months. I’m definitely ready to get underway. But, we still have to conduct a few space trials of the propulsion systems before we head out...maybe we will be stuck here forever!” Derek snorted as he took a sip of his soda. “Everything ready on your end?”

"Mmm...I'd say so." In the past forty-eight hours, Brex had seen little evidence to the contrary. Nothing seemed to indicate there might be any serious problems integrating the new systems or getting them to perform under normal operations.

Brex's glass was about halfway to his mouth when a thought occurred to him. "Actually," he said slowly, as if pondering the matter, "there was one thing..." Just thinking about it was enough to cause the corners of his mouth to twist upward slightly. He quickly raised the glass the rest of the way to his mouth and took another swallow before lowering it again.

Derek raised an eyebrown in suspicion - Brex certainly lived up to the Denobulan reputation for cheekiness. “Yes…?” Derek asked, drawing the syllable out for dramatic effect.

"Well...I understand one of your people already managed to baffle the main computer. Something about the reintegration sequence blowing us up?"

Derek let out a single laugh. “Hah! No, but he may have baffled himself pretty well. Turned out to be nothing, but it has certainly spread around the ship pretty quickly - I know it’s not the biggest ship in the fleet, but I would have expected something like that to take at least a couple days.” Derek picked up a lemon slice from the tray and squeezed it over the fillet before taking another bite, now talking with one cheek full.

“Ended up, the crew had the simulations improperly configured, but I still had them pull the system apart just to make sure. It was probably unnecessary, but I’ve learned to take caution over hubris. Besides,” Derek chortled, “maybe after climbing through plasma relays all day, they’ll learn to double check their work next time.”

"How unfortunate," Brex empathized. The concept of so-called "human error" was not new. In fact, it had plagued engineers and philosophers on countless worlds for generations. There were some who believed that the perfect system was one without any independently operating pieces. A system without sentient beings free to make their own choices wouldn't have to worry about individual agency interfering with the greater whole. However, it all depended upon one's definition of "the perfect system". Experience had taught Brex the best systems were those that managed to find harmony between the two extremes. Without the unpredictability of independent thinking, there really wouldn’t be any progress.

“Speaking of personnel,” Brex said, “I must say I’m surprised at how many people still haven’t reported aboard. How many are you still waiting on in Engineering?”

Derek mused about that for a moment, allowing himself to take another morsel of the fish to help move his train of thought. “Well, we’ve got most of the shift officers and crewmen embarked. Some of the shipyard crew will be filling in while we’re doing our space trials, monitoring, crunching data, that sort of thing. I've just welcomed the Assistant Chief aboard - she got here just this morning - and there are a few crewmen that have yet to arrive. We’re more than adequately staffed to be operational, though. How about yourself?”

“I’ve got at least a half-dozen positions that need to be filled.” To most people, a half-dozen open positions might not have sounded like much. On a ship like the Malinche, however, a half-dozen made quite the difference. “Given enough time, I’m sure I could find someone to serve as my assistant chief, at least temporarily,” Brex continued, taking another drink from his glass, “but I’d need to completely rework the entire duty roster if we’re to cover all the gaps. It’s not exactly something I’d prefer to do long-term.”

“Well, I wouldn’t worry about it too much - after all, if a couple holograms could take on the Tal Shiar in this thing, what about the two of us?” Derek continued as he saw Brex begin to protest. “Speaking of holograms, I’ve been working on having some holographic adjutants available to help take up the slack - don’t worry, I know - they don’t have any complex subroutines, but they are able to perform some basic tasks here and there.

“Here, check it out - Computer, initiate program Lounge Assist 01.”

The computer chirped and produced a hologram of a civilian waiter next to their table. It smiled, staring blankly at the windowed wall.

“How can I help you, sir?” the hologram intoned, politely but generically. Derek looked at the waiter, grinning. He looked back at Brex expectantly, raising his eyebrows and opening his mouth rather goofily. Elliciting no response, he looked back at the hologram. It simply continued to stare at the wall.

Brex set down his glass. It had been some time like he'd seen an interactive hologram like the one before them outside of a recreational holo-facility. As memory served, there had been a Mark IV Emergency Medical Hologram aboard the Bharani. Brex had even done maintenance on the program a handful of times before they were ordered to uninstall it from the ship's computer. Later, when he got involved with the Mark III Galaxy-class project, the entire holographic imaging system had been redesigned such that it was no longer able to support such complex programs. To see something that at least looked and acted real enough standing only a short distance away made the Denobulan...uncomfortable.

Derek handed the hologram his tray. “Here ya go, man,” his light Canadian accent inflecting the syllables, “take this back to the replicator for me. Cheers!” The holo-waiter grabbed the tray and walked over to the replicator. It placed the tray in the station, and as the tray was reprocessed, the waiter too vanished.

"Hmm..." Brex mused. The Denobulan had not watched the rest of the demonstration. Lost in his own thoughts, his gaze remained fixed on a point somewhere near the edge of his own tray. It seemed like several moments passed before Brex eventually looked up to see that Tournneau was still waiting for his reaction. "That was very...interesting."

Derek nodded. “They’re not perfect, at least not yet, but they do what they need to do when you ask them. They are still a little creepy, though. Better than nothing! Besides, better to have one of these guys do some of the routine work instead of your crewmen, right?”

“I’m not sure I agree.”

“Well, it’s really no different than a recreational program - I’m using the same basic template for prompt response and movement as comes standard with the holodeck. Don’t worry, I’m not going to try and play God - I know all about the EMH program and the ethical fiasco that caused. We had essentially brought a whole new race into existence without knowing it.” Derek leaned back in his chair as he continued. “These assistants have extremely limited programming, and no adaptive subroutines whatsoever. At this level, it’s just a photonic tool, nothing more.”

"I'll admit, holographic assistants seem like a good idea," Brex said. The theory itself was fairly sound. Using photons and forcefields to simulate various equipment felt like a natural evolution from physical hardware. Holograms took up infinitely less space, were more flexible and adaptable. That concept was taken a step further with the Emergency Medical Holograms which had the added bonus of being able to actually interact with their environment and learn from it. "From what we've seen with the various EMH programs, though," Brex continued, "it's just not that simple in practice."

Derek put the chair back on the deck and shook his head lightly. He knew that the hologram issue was still a bit touchy after the liberation of the EMH programs several years ago. “Hopefully by keeping it simple, we’ll not make the same mistakes - well, I don’t think mistakes is the right word - a liberated hologram might take offense at that! Decisions, I won’t make the same decisions that Zimmerman and friends did. These won’t be the same as the EMHs that had to be set free.” Derek looked up at Brex - his usually bright face looked rather austere.

"Starfleet made the right decision when they pulled them from active service."

“Oh, absolutely, it was wrong to force them to work,” Derek agreed, “but they were sentients. These adjutants are simply an extension of the ship, physical manifestations of a few lines of code in the computer core. Surely you can appreciate that, Mr. Ops?” Derek grinned, trying to lighten the mood. “The computer core is infinitely faster and more capable than our primate minds, but I don’t think it’s smarter. These programs have no more capacity to learn and think than, say, the subroutine that separates the hulls, or that initiates a red alert. Maybe…” Derek’s sentence drifted off as he started thinking. You know, he is right, it’s eerie that they are in lifelike bodies…

“Maybe,” Derek picked up, “I should give them a non-humanoid body. Like a robotic frame or something, so that it’s not so off-putting, and so that they don’t appear to be a sentient. Something that matches the construction of the ship, so that it’s clear that it’s just a part of the ship, rather than an individual. What would you say to that?”

Brex thought about the idea a moment. It certainly would prevent them from being mistaken for flesh-and-blood personnel or even sentient programs such as Voyager’s Doctor. ...but would it actually solve the problem, the Denobulan wondered to himself. The answer to that question would depend on a number of different factors including Tournneau’s intentions for them.

“What sort of role do imagine these…adjutants...would be filling,” he asked aloud.

Derek shrugged. “Well, the kinds of tasks like that one just performed, for instance,” Derek said as he waved towards the replicator station. “Things that are creature comforts, or menial repetitive tasks that we need to have, but can’t spare the personnel for. No one graduates from a Starfleet training program with visions of scrubbing plasma conduits,” Derek said with a chuckle. “Or when there’s a VIP on board, you can assign one to them as a personal assistant - I’m even thinking of having one myself. A walking, talking calendar, nothing more. Delivering PADDs, emergency tactical programs that can augment our ability to deal with intruders - the list goes on.”

Derek continued, “I’m sure you can think of better ways to use your team members if you had some of the simple tasks taken care of by the computer?”

The question was meant to appeal to Brex’s sense of compassion and it worked, to a point. Every major technological advancement had come in some small part from the ongoing effort to make life easier, more efficient for individuals and for society as a whole. When taken in that context, the idea of a holographic assistant almost seemed to become a little less...concerning. Almost.

“I still think you’re asking for trouble,” Brex told him.

“We’ll start small - don’t worry, we’re not handing them compression rifles any time soon,” Derek chortled. “And we’re not talking about putting dozens of them on the ship, and not on a permanent basis. Think of it as an extended beta-test. I think you’ll come around after a week or two.”

“Perhaps you’re right,” the Denobulan admitted, “but I don’t think either one of us is going to solve this over one lunch.”

“Perhaps not,” Derek admitted, “But, at least I don’t have to clean up my tray,” Derek said with a smile as he stood up. “I’ll see you tomorrow for the Engineering department meeting? We could use the Ops perspective.”

Brex looked up and smiled. “Tomorrow, then, if not before.”

“Sounds good, my friend. See you then.” Derek patted Brex on the shoulder as he walked out of the mess hall. He understood the Denobulan’s reservations, but Derek was more than certain that the holograms would work as advertised. He just hoped that Brex would come to see that...but he also hoped that he was right.

OFF

A Joint Mission Post by:

USS Malinche (NCC-38997-A)

And
Last edited by Brex on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant Brex
Chief Operations Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:58 am

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Ready Room, Day 3, 1320 hours>>

Isabel had spent the past day greeting new crew, going over updated progress reports, and getting a first-hand look at the changes to her ship. All in all, it had been a long day. It was interesting - exciting even, in some cases - to see the changes to the Malinche. Obviously the core had remained unchanged, but cosmetic differences tended to stand out and some of the upgrades did as well. Everyone had been very busy getting her ready.

The transfers were still coming in. She'd been sad to see some of her crew go, but transfers weren't unexpected. What bothered her most was the lack of department heads she had. Most of the spots were filled, but a few still remained - namely Science, Intelligence, Counseling, and Flight Control. There were some in each department who were qualified to take over on a temporary basis at least, but it wasn't particularly ideal.

After finishing her lunch, Isabel had gone back to her ready room. Her eyes moved to the small stack of PADDs on one side of her desk. Frowning slightly, she moved around the desk and took a seat. Apparently Britney (NPC) had dropped off some of the latest transfer orders. As she was about to pick up the first one, she noticed her console flashing - indicating a new message.

Isabel gently pressed the indicator, then slid her finger across to bring up the message. Actually there were two messages - one informing her that the refit had been completed and the starbase personnel would be leaving by the end of the day and the other message indicated that the Malinche was scheduled to depart for a shakedown cruise the following day.

It seemed they would finally be underway.

As she was about to set down the PADD she'd picked up, Isabel glanced at it and paused. It seemed they would have a Chief Intelligence Officer as well as a Chief Counselor coming aboard. Just in time, it seemed. A few other transfers were noted, but at the moment she was mainly concerned with the department head positions.

"Computer, begin message to all Department Heads and to the senior-most member of any departments without an official department head...Subject: Shakedown Notification," Isabel ordered, pausing to hear the customary chirp of acknowledgment, then watched as her dictated words appeared on the screen in front of her.

"Senior personnel,

Welcome aboard the Malinche. The refit has been completed and we are scheduled to depart the Space station at 1400 hours tomorrow for a shakedown cruise. Be prepared to test out all systems. Any final preparations should be finished by 1300 hours.

We are still missing some crew, but I hope to have those positions filled before we leave on our first mission. In the meantime, I've appointed acting department heads in any departments without one.

Should any issues or concerns arise, please contact Commander Zeral immediately.

I appreciate your hard work; good luck.

Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A"

"Computer, end message." Slowly she scanned through the message to ensure she hadn't forgotten anything. Satisfied with the message, Isabel nodded to herself then instructed the computer, "Computer, send message."

Upon hearing the computer chirp its acknowledgment, Isabel leaned back in her chair and picked up the first PADD again. She'd get through these, then consider what more she needed to finish before their shakedown. Hopefully everyone would be ready. The shakedown wouldn't be overly taxing, in theory, but they did need to test the Malinche's systems.

OFF: Tag crew...basic info about the shakedown.
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Tournneau
Senior Staff

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:41 pm

ON:

<<USS Malinche, NCC-38997-A - Main Engineering - Mission Day 03 - 1330 Hours>>

Lt. Commander Tournneau was just settling back into the end of his shift after his lunch with Brex. He was at the second floor console monitoring the plasma flow when his PADD beeped in his thigh pocket. He pulled it out and read the message on screen.

New Message
Re: Shakedown Notification

Senior personnel,

Welcome aboard the Malinche. The refit has been completed and we are scheduled to depart the Space station at 1400 hours tomorrow…..

Derek stopped reading and tapped his combadge. “Tournneau to Beladd.”

The badge chirped back after a few seconds. “Beladd here, sir. What do you need?”

“Where are you right now?”

“I’m in Beta Engineering right now, just making a tour of the ship.”

“Stay there, I’m coming up. We’ve got some work to do.”

<<Secondary Engineering - Deck 6-Beta - 1335 Hours>>

Derek walked into the engineering compartment, his eyes scanning the room for the color blue. He found it, and his assistant Viradia, on the upper deck inside a control booth. He caught her eye and waved her down.

Viradia was finishing up a cursory diagnostic of the basic core functions. She was a little nervous at meeting Tournneau again, but also excited. It feels good to hit the ground running….there it is again. She furrowed her brow as she worked on the display. She had kept seeing a small anomaly in the readings, but she was having trouble localizing the cause. Movement in the corner of her eye broke her attention - she looked up and saw Tournneau on the lower level, waving at her. She suspended the diagnostic and made her way out of the booth and down a ladder to meet him.

Derek waited as Viradia came out of the booth and down the ladder. He couldn’t help noticing the litheness of her motions as she came down the ladder. He quickly averted his gaze elsewhere, anywhere - Ah yes, look at that warp core. Yep, sure looks like it’s working. Glowing yellow, yep, definitely on.

“Yes sir, you wanted me?”

Derek turned around to face her, pretending to snap out of concentration. “Yes, Ms. Beladd - I just received word that the Captain has officially received the ship from the yard. We will be conducting shakedown tomorrow afternoon. We’ve got some final preparations to make before tomorrow morning.”

Viradia felt another wave of excited nervousness. I’ve barely sorted my belongings! “Yes sir, I imagine we’ll need to do a final Level 1 of the core systems?”

“Indeed we will, Beladd - tonight. We’ll be pulling the plug on most of the systems. I’ll need you to coordinate with DS9 and get an umbilical power relay set up to keep the primary systems online and manage the power requests that will come in as people continue working. Think you can manage it?”

“Can do, sir,” Viradia confirmed. It was her first real task on the ship, and she didn’t aim on disappointing her superior on the first day. “I’ll get our people on it.”

“Excellent, thank you. I’ll leave you to it, then. I’ll be in my office if you need me.” He nodded at the officer and turned around to leave.

Viradia watched as Tournneau left. She wanted to say more, to thank him for choosing her for the post, but she thought better of it. Best not to sound needy, she chided herself. She turned back to the control booth. Better wrap this up, and then get down to the station.

Derek pulled out his PADD as he walked back to the turbolift. “Computer, begin dictation. New message, to all senior staff - Subject: Power Needs.” The PADD beeped in response.

“To all senior staff:

All Malinche warp cores will be taken off-line tonight at 1930 hours to complete a last Level 1 diagnostic sweep. An umbilical will be run from DS9 to keep primary systems online. We anticipate power to be restored by 0100. Please direct power requests for ongoing overnight activities to Lieutenant Beladd.”

OFF

Assistant Chief Engineer

and
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:33 pm

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Trevanion and Arden’s Quarters, Day 3, 1530 hours>>

With the final crate unpacked, Dr. Rhys Trevanion (PNPC) placed his hands on his hips and nodded in satisfaction. “Ginny, my love, we are home,” he announced grandly, taking in the sight of their shared quarters.

Like a good number of their fellow crewmembers, Rhys and his partner of over ten years were newly arrived to the Malinche. Their quarters were spacious enough, especially compared to some of the other quarters they’d been assigned on previous assignments, and Rhys was rather pleased with the end result of his unpacking efforts.

Virginia (PNPC) appeared from somewhere behind him in her usual stealthy fashion. Too many years in Intelligence had made her quiet as a mouse, though Rhys rather thought that he had an easier time keeping track of her than most.

“It looks exactly like our old quarters,” Ginny said, one side of her mouth crooked up in a wry smile.

“You’re impossible to please,” Rhys said, in the same buoyant tone of voice that one might use to compliment their friend.

Ginny neither confirmed nor denied that. “I will say, though, that I like that painting above the couch. You even hung it straight this time.”

Praise indeed. Rhys smirked. “I aim to please. How’s the bedroom? Did you get everything unpacked in there?”

Flipping her braided hair over her shoulder, Ginny crossed the room towards said bedroom. “Come see for yourself. It was an awful lot to comb through, but I think I made it all fit.”

Rhys followed Ginny, hands behind his back, and made a show of examining the room in question, his attention lingering on the closet. “Look at that. You really did make it all fit. A place for everything, and everything in its place,” he remarked.

Ginny crossed her arms over her chest. “I deserve a medal for my efforts. There were an awful lot of clothes to sort out.”

“And you did a marvelous job, heart of my hearts,” Rhys said with a nod.

Ginny snorted. “A good 85% of them are yours. You were supposed to get rid of some of these before the transfer,” she reminded him, pinning him with the blue-eyed stare that she usually reserved for interrogations or for managing Rhys himself. As one of the few who could withstand that intentionally freezing look, Rhys simply shrugged.

“You never know when you’re going to need a…” He reached blindly into the closet, pulling out an article of clothing at random. “…magnificently gaudy Ferengi jacket.”

“God, Rhys,” Ginny said, making a noise that was somewhere between a snort and a laugh. “That’s…magnificently hideous, is what that is. I could barely stand to touch it while hanging it up. Another gift from a former patient?”

Rhys shrugged again, holding the multicolored monstrosity up. “Nek was very appreciative for his counseling sessions. He wanted to give me something to remember him by. Also, he told me that I would be guaranteed a warm welcome if I ever wore it to Ferenginar. I understand that it’s at the height of fashion.”

“You cannot rightfully use the words ‘fashion’ and ‘Ferengi’ in the same sentence, Rhys,” Ginny said, laughing more freely now.

Rhys grinned back at her, glad to see that she had relaxed a bit and considering it mission accomplished. “At least you made it fit with the rest. Well done, Gin.” After pecking her on the cheek, he reached into the closet again, this time with the intention of pulling out a clean uniform shirt.

“Right, then. I’m due at Counseling in a few minutes. Got to inspect the troops,” he said with faux intensity. “And you ought to go introduce yourself to your comrades in Intelligence.”

Ginny sighed. “Yes, I suppose I should. Always best to get the lay of the land right away, especially with a shakedown scheduled.” Gin, who preferred to stay in uniform even during down time, required no change of clothing before going on her way. But as she started to leave, she paused in the doorway before turning back again.

“You are happy we made the transfer, aren’t you?” she asked, head tilted as she regarded him. “You always put on a brave face, and you’ve been your usual cheerful self about this change of plans, but… You don’t regret the change of scenery, do you?”

“Of course not,” Rhys was quick to assure her, tossing both his uniform shirt and the Ferengi jacket onto the bed. “Come here,” he urged, opening his arms to her. Those who knew Ginny professionally would have had a hard time reconciling this softer side of her. In her day to day interactions, she wasn’t always what one would call warm, but that was only because she wasn’t one to sugarcoat.

“It’s a new adventure, aye?” Rhys said, giving Ginny one last squeeze. “I love all the adventures I take with you. And besides, you were stagnating at our last post. This way we can all breathe a little more freely.”

“That’s certainly true,” Ginny said, nodding slowly. “Just don’t start inviting people over right away. I want a chance to really settle in before playing hostess to your inevitable new circle of friends.”

Rhys grinned, unrepentant. He was as open and gregarious as Ginny wasn’t sometimes, and that was a fact. “I’ll do my best, dear. Play nice with others now.”

“I’ll do my best, dear,” Ginny echoed with a smirk before she disappeared out the door.

OFF:
Lieutenant-Commander Rhys Trevanion (PNPC)
Chief Counselor

and

Lieutenant Virginia Arden (PNPC)
Assistant Chief Intelligence Officer

both played by:
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:42 pm

OFF: Slight backpost

ON:
<<Deep Space 9, Promenade, Day 3, 1330 hours>>

Myka (PNPC) walked quietly through the Promenade, a very slight smile playing on her lips. It was good to be back. As a child, she'd visited Deep Space 9 a number of times after her father was stationed there as part of the Bajoran Militia. The station's crew had changed since then, but the layout was still familiar. Some of the shops were familiar as well.

After being assigned to Starbase 621 as Chief Intelligence Officer for a year, the Bajoran had gotten antsy staying in one place and requested a transfer to a starship. As luck would have it, the ship she'd been assigned to - the USS Malinche - had been at Deep Space 9 for a refit. It was a good opportunity for her, as she had been able to visit her parents on Bajor before coming to the station.

Normally she would have reported directly to the ship, but at the time she arrived a week ago, the ship was still being put back together and her quarters hadn't been ready. Myka had kept tabs on the progress - and on the status of her department, which was partially staffed. Some of the existing members of the department were staying. Myka had already introduced herself to them the day before, after she officially reported in for duty.

It was likely that the Malinche would be leaving soon, as the refit was essentially complete, so Myka was just enjoying a last visit to the station before fully settling in on her new home.

Hearing a chirp from her PADD, Myka moved away from the main part of the Promenade to a side corridor. Pausing off to the side, the Bajoran tapped in her access code and slid her finger across the screen. She'd received a message from the Captain - they were officially leaving tomorrow at 1400 hours for their shakedown.

While there wasn't anything particularly pressing for Intelligence to do prior to shakedown, Myka knew she'd need to return to the ship. Perhaps later she could return to the station for a last dinner before they left. It was her understanding that a new Assistant Chief Intelligence Officer was arriving as well - maybe Myka would bring her here... Or they could just meet after the department meeting she'd scheduled later in the afternoon.

Regardless, it was time for her to head back to the Malinche for the time being. Allowing herself one last look around the Promenade, Myka turned and left, heading to her new posting.

OFF:

Lieutenant Turren Myka (PNPC)
Chief Intelligence Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Mon May 01, 2017 9:13 pm

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Ready Room, Day 3, 1530 hours>>

After waiting for Isabel’s permission to enter, Nora strode into the Captain’s ready room with a breezy smile. “I come bearing gifts,” she said, setting a tall, lidded beverage on Isabel’s desk. “Deep Space Nine boasts a small coffee shop, and supposedly their mochas are excellent. I thought you could use it, what with the upcoming shakedown and all.”

Isabel raised her eyebrows and accepted the mocha, sliding it across the desk to herself. Smiling, she said, "Thank you, Nora. Did you find something for yourself too? Oh, and have a seat."

“Only the finest hot chocolate I’ve had in ages,” Nora said, sighing dreamily as she sat before the desk. There was something about real, unreplicated hot chocolate. Far be it from her to naysay technology, but some things were simply better fresh.

"I take it you saw my message then," Isabel said as she took her first sip of the hot beverage. It was rather good, she had to admit. Better than the replicated mocha she had. "I just received word about our shakedown a couple hours ago. Hopefully everyone will be ready on time."

“Yes, hopefully,” Nora agreed. “I’m encouraged by what I’ve seen of our new crew so far, but as this is my first shakedown, I’m trying to find the right balance of optimism and pessimism where the ship is concerned.” There were often a few kinks to work out with new technology, at least in her experience. “Well, pessimism isn’t the right word. The goal is to be realistic, I suppose.”

Isabel thought about what Nora said for a moment before responding, "I suppose it is your first actual shakedown, isn't it? We've not had a major refit until now." As she took another sip of the mocha, she opened the message from Derek on her PADD. "Yes, realism is good. Hope for the best, but be prepared for issues that may arise. It looks like Engineering is aiming to be prepared. Did you see this message as well?" Isabel slid the PADD across to Nora.

Glancing over the message, Nora smiled, eyebrows slightly inclined. “Looks like I’ll be going to bed early tonight.” She slid the PADD back to Isabel. “Commander Tournneau seems like an exceptionally dedicated engineer. Well, all engineers seem exceptionally dedicated to me,” she amended. “But our new CEO is tireless. It gives me hope for a smooth shakedown.”

Nodding, Isabel replied, “Yes; I think he’ll be a good fit here. It seems he has everything well in hand. If I’m honest, Nora, there’s a part of me that envies him. The engineer in me would love to play around with some of these systems… Anyway, what do you think of the other newcomers? Have you had a chance to meet all of them? Do they seem as dedicated?”

“So far, certainly,” Nora said. “I already know Dr. Varrat, and you’ve heard me sing his praises. I know our new Chief Counselor in passing, too. Dr. Trevanion and I used to frequent some of the same conferences. I think you’ll find that he’s extremely friendly, and a good counselor, too,” she smiled. “Lieutenant Brex readily forgave me for being late to our first meet and greet, so I’m prone to like him for that alone. As for the rest, well, I’m slowly making my way through the ship. I hope to meet them all sooner rather than later.”

“I’ve met many of the new arrivals, but not all of them. We have some new crew in Intel that I’ve not met and I haven’t met the new Counselor. If you vouch for him, though, I’m sure we’re in good hands,” Isabel answered. Her eyes moved back down to the PADD briefly before she tapped at the small console on her desk and then angled it so both could see. “I’ve looked through charts of nearby systems and believe we’ll go here. Two planets are inhabited, but overall it’s a quiet, out of the way system. We’ll go through normal operations and switch to MVAM and battle stations. I’d like you to take command of [decide & insert section] section.”

“Of course,” Nora said, nodding. It was going to be interesting, she couldn’t help but think. She wasn’t nervous so much as aware that she’d only taken command of a section of the ship during MVAM a handful of times. Still, at least they were only taking it for a test drive, so to speak. “This looks like the perfect destination for our shakedown,” she remarked, gesturing towards the chart. “And if the shakedown goes according to plan, where are we off to next?”

Isabel shook her head. “I’m not sure, actually. StarFleet command indicated we’d be getting our first assignment within the next day. I’m not sure if they’re waiting for our shakedown to be completed - see if there’s anything that needs adjusted before we set off - or if they’re looking at priorities.”

“Ah. The waiting game,” Nora said with a knowing smile. “Well, in the meantime, I suppose everyone can continue to settle in after the shakedown.” Time between the shakedown and their first official directions from Starfleet would also give her more time to meet more members of their crew. It was strange to see so many unfamiliar faces. “Is there anything else you need from me before the shakedown?”

“I don’t believe so. Although...we may want to have a staff meeting before the shakedown to go over expectations and MVAM assignments. In retrospect I should have included that in my message earlier,” Isabel replied thoughtfully. “I suppose you or I could inform the department heads about it. Perhaps 1100 hours in the Observation Lounge? Other than that, I don’t think there’s anything I specifically need from you before shakedown. Just keep me informed of any issues or concerns.”

“Will do. And a staff meeting is an excellent idea. I’ll let the senior staff know.” Nora stood to leave, but paused again, giving Isabel a considering look. “Are you happy to be home again?”

Isabel nodded, ‘Thank you, Nora - for taking care of that and for the mocha. And yes, it’s good to finally be back on the Malinche. Having some time off for shoreleave is nice, but I’ve been on this ship so long it really does feel like home. I missed it. It’ll be good to be underway again.” She smiled and added, “What about you, are you happy to be back?”

“Very,” Nora agreed emphatically. “In hindsight, I can see now how close I came to voluntarily marooning myself planetside again. Sometimes I forget that I’m happiest on a starship.” It was good to be back, and to see the Malinche take off again. The real question in Nora’s mind was how long it would take before they encountered trouble. The ship seemed to have a knack for attracting it, and strange as it was, Nora wouldn’t have changed that for the world.

“Well, I’m off. If I don’t see you before tomorrow, take care of yourself and rest up,” the Betazoid smiled. “Tomorrow the real fun begins.”

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Zeral
Senior Staff

Thu May 04, 2017 7:24 pm

ON:
<<USS Malinche, Intel Lab, Day 3, 1600 hours>>

As Ginny (PNPC) made her way to the Intel Lab, which was sure to become her home away from home, she couldn’t help but be impressed with what she saw. The Prometheus-class was a modern marvel from her perspective, and this being her first experience onboard one, Ginny was soaking in her surroundings.

The Intel Lab itself was familiar enough as far as those went, yet still had that sheen that one only found in new or newly refurbished ships. Stepping through the doors, Ginny discovered that she wasn’t alone. A Bajoran woman was there, out of uniform but obviously perfectly at home in the lab. Having taken a look at the personnel files for her new coworkers--she was an Intelligence Officer, after all--Ginny had no doubt who the woman was.

“Good evening,” she said evenly, nodding in greeting. “I’m Virginia Arden, recently arrived and reporting for duty.”

Myka (PNPC) put the listening device she’d been inspecting back on the shelf she’d picked it up from before turning towards the voice behind her. Quietly she assessed the woman before her for a moment before replying, “Virginia Arden, my Assistant Chief Intelligence Officer. Come in and have a look around our lab.”

“I don’t mind if I do,” Ginny said, taking a moment to look over the facilities. It was certainly suitable, with a number of consoles and the prerequisite tables that Ginny and her kind so preferred when deep into some morass-like conundrum that required more information spread before them than a handful of PADDs could reasonably hold. The sheer number of cupboards she saw was encouraging, as well. Where there were cupboards, there was usually useful equipment. “I can make myself quite at home here,” she declared, the hint of a smile on her lips.

It was a good sign, in the Bajoran’s opinion at least, that Virginia had known who she was. To be fair, she expected that those in her department would certainly know each other and be able to identify other key personnel from the ship. They did deal with Intelligence and, therefore, knowledge. “Turren Myka, also recently arrived, as I’m sure you know. I’ve been going over our facilities to see if we’re missing anything.”

Ginny nodded, turning her attention back to her Bajoran superior. “That’s very wise. And your analysis so far?”

“It seems StarFleet has been quite thorough. I’d like to do a complete inventory before we officially leave though. I wouldn’t mind your input, if you have any suggestions,” Myka answered. She looked over at Virginia, noting her uniform. Considering her words, she added, “Do you always wear a uniform?”

With the hint of a smile, Ginny nodded. “While on board a Starfleet vessel, yes,” she said. She could guess what the Bajoran was thinking, but personally felt comfortable with her adherence to her uniform even when technically off duty. Sometimes, those who were best hidden were hidden in plain sight, and a uniform among many certainly helped one blend in. Not that Ginny had any strong desire to perform a disappearing act when on her home turf. She preferred to save her powers of stealth and transformation for undercover work.

Myka nodded, but did not continue with that part of the conversation. While on duty on a ship she usually did the same. Everyone was in uniform anyway, though most weren’t wearing the grey of Intelligence Officers. Off duty, she felt she blended in better out of uniform. And she’d spent more time out of uniform than in one on Starbase 621. “I’ve asked the rest of the department to attend a brief department meeting this evening at 1900. We have a shakedown tomorrow and I felt it would be good to officially meet everyone.”

“Very good. I’ll be there,” Ginny said, making a mental note to tell Rhys he was on his own for dinner. Normally they ate together, but perhaps he would be too happily immersed in his new Counseling department to make it back for dinner at a reasonable hour anyway.

“I’ll look forward to meeting the team,” she added, wondering what sort of group had been gathered for the Malinche’s Intel specialists. Often, in her experience, Intel departments consisted of a ragtag group of individuals who ranged from secretive to outright strange and back again. There was rarely a dull moment with Intel types.

“I’ve already looked over their service records, of course, but records only tell you so much. In any event, we should probably see what we can dig up on the area our shakedown is in,” Myka said, turning and leaning against one of the tables. “Are there any questions or concerns you have?”

Looking over the lab briefly once more, Ginny shook her head. “Not at the moment, no,” she answered. Mostly she was keen to get started, and very interested to discover what was required of an Intel department on a tactical vessel like the Malinche. “Is there anything you need of me before the shakedown?”

Myka considered Virginia’s question before responding, “The Captain sent me a message indicating that we are going to the Koralis system for our shakedown. I was going to check with some contacts to see if there’s anything we should know… Perhaps you could do some research on the system and coordinate with the others to also research some surrounding systems.” While obviously the information about the Koralis system would be the most immediately pertinent, if something were to go wrong, knowing about nearby systems could be useful as well.

Something useful to do. Excellent. Ginny inclined her head, smiling a bit crookedly. “I couldn’t agree more, Lieutenant. Consider it done.” Already her mind was spinning out a comprehensive list of what she’d need to do to begin her research. “I’ll begin now, if it’s all right with you.”

“Of course,” Myka replied. “I’ll let you get to it and will see you at the meeting. Glad to you have you in the department, Virginia.” She offered her Assistant Chief a cross between a smile and smirk. Hopefully the rest of the department was as promising.

Although she didn’t have much to go off of yet, Ginny decided then and there that she liked Myka. “Call me Ginny,” she said, giving her superior one last hint of a smile before she turned to dive into her new task.

OFF:

This JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant Turren Myka (PNPC)
Played by: Kersare

and

Lieutenant Virginia Arden (PNPC)
Assistant Chief Intelligence Officer
Played by:
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Tournneau
Senior Staff

Mon May 08, 2017 7:38 pm

ON:

<<Deep Space Nine - Turbolift, Upper Pylon Two - Mission Day 03 - 2035 Hours>>

Lieutenant Toren (PNPC) looked down at his PADD, reading over his billeting information and some of the details of the ship’s history. Outwardly, the young Vulcan doctor was implaccably calm; inwardly, his Vulcan emotions were perturbed beneath the layers of control that he learned over the years.

Change is necessary to life. You must not fear change. He quietly sought to dissipate the small wave of nervousness that stirred in his mind. It was natural, albeit...vexing. He focused on the quiet thrumming of the turbolift.

The lift stopped and opened onto the concourse to the airlock. Toren pulled himself upright and walked across to his new home.

<<USS Malinche - Deck 4-Alpha - ACMO’s Quarters - 2040 Hours>>

The quarters that Toren had been assigned were more than adequate, in his opinion. There was a small common area with a workstation, a small dining set, and a small sofa set in front of a narrow window. His belongings had been sent ahead of time, neatly stacked in his bedroom. He nodded in approval and turned to leave. There was still more of the ship he wanted to see and familiarize himself with. He didn’t see the need to stop and unpack his belongings now - especially since he was likely going to be on board for the next several years.

<<Deck 6-Beta - 2044 Hours>>

Toren decided that the most logical place to start his tour of the ship would be the place where he’d be spending much of his time - the medical wing. He was walking down the starboard corridor, making his way to the main sickbay when the door in front of him opened and a middle-aged human officer, also in blue, walked out quickly and very nearly collided with Toren.

It had been frighteningly easy for Rhys (PNPC) to lose track of time in his new office. As ever, there was more to do than he anticipated, and he’d spent hours reviewing personnel files in preparation for upcoming appointments. While some crewmembers still entertained certain stigma where counselors were concerned, there were plenty who appreciated free medical and psychiatric care. Judging by his calendar, he’d be busy for the foreseeable future.

He’d lost himself in his work so thoroughly that, by the time he finally did pull away from his office, in his distraction he very nearly bowled over a passing crewmember. “Oi, apologies, mate,” he exclaimed, taking a quick step back to avoid the collision. “I should probably watch where I’m going,” he said with a guilty smile.

Toren stepped aside just in time to avoid running into the Lieutenant Commander. He nodded deferentially. “Apologies, sir.” He noted his uniform and rank. “You must be Dr. Trevanion, the ship’s counselor,” Toval said. “I am Dr. Toval, the assistant CMO on board. I am just familiarizing myself with the medical wing.”

“You’ve done your homework,” Rhys said appreciatively. “A pleasure to meet you, Dr. Toval.” As it happened, he’d done his homework too. “You specialize in neuroscience, if I read your personnel file correctly. Fascinating field, that. There’s a small group of us here who like to keep abreast of the latest developments in that field.” Psychology and the goings on of the brain were closely related, after all.

Toren nodded, raising an eyebrow. “The mind is much more than what can be scanned and operated on. Some of my research has sought to explore this truth.”

With one brow slightly raised, Rhys nodded as well. “Just so,” he agreed. If it wasn’t so late, he might have dove further into a conversation starter like that, but instinct told him now wasn’t the right time. The Vulcan, despite his placid outward mien, still gave counselor the impression that he was...on edge? No, that wasn’t quite it; eager, perhaps, was the better word. Likely the doctor wanted to get on with his evening.

Toren bowed slightly. “Well, Commander, I must take my leave of you - I wish to inspect the sickbay facilities before I turn in for the night. It is good to meet you, I am sure that we will collaborate many times on this tour.”

“I’ll look forward to it, Doctor. Until later, then,” Rhys said with a genial smile before he turned to head in the opposite direction.

OFF

A Joint Shoreleave Post by:

Lieutenant Commander Rhys Trevanion (PNPC of Zeral)
Chief Counselor

and

Lieutenant (JG) Toren (PNPC of Tournneau)
Assistant CMO
Last edited by Tournneau on Mon May 08, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Tournneau
Senior Staff

Mon May 08, 2017 7:41 pm

ON:

<<USS Malinche, NCC-38997-A - Main Engineering - Mission Day 04 - 0800 Hours>>

Lt. Cdr. Tournneau had just started his duty shift - he was pacing the circumference of the warp core, thinking about the day’s activities. He was a bit restless, as the ship was due to get underway with its first space trials today. Captain Kersare had given her final approval and officially received the vessel from the shipyard yesterday afternoon. Derek pulled out a PADD from his open jacket pocket, and went over it again as he continued walking in a circle.

Diagnostics
Level 1 Diagnostic of Warp Cores Completed, 0535 Hours
- PRIM, SECD, TERT CORE - off-line, 1930
- SYSPWR set to EMRG
- Umbilical from DS9 initiated at 1930
- Swept and examined - Lt. Cdr. Tournneau, 2345
- Power restored, 0106
- Umbilical retracted, 0106
- Secondary diagnostics performed by DMG CTL Team Alpha

Results
- All cores inspected
- No microfractures reported
- Dilithium lattice shows 0.002% degradation
- Plasma conduits show no residual buildup
- Tuning Control Subroutines - nominal
- Warp Plasma Transfer System - nominal
- EPS Distribution System - nominal

As far as Tournneau was concerned, the ship was ready to go. Everything looked absolutely pristine, from the depths of the plasma system to the heart of the dilithium matrix. Even so, there was no getting around the trepidation associated with launching a vessel for the first time. Even though this was a refit, it might as well be a brand new ship, thought Derek as he continued to read his notes. He was still feeling the effects of last night’s diagnostics. He had gotten about seven hours of sleep, but it was three before his sweep and four after. He checked his agenda for the morning out of restlessness.

Calendar
0630 - Alarm
0715 - Breakfast
0800 - Duty Shift
1030 - Eng. Staff Meeting
1100 - Senior Staff Meeting

The meeting was looming closer. Derek was pretty sure he had everything squared away, but there were so many variables - it was entirely possible that he was forgetting something. Did I plan for every contingency? Are the fields still synchronized? A thousand errant thoughts entered Derek’s mind as he tweaked a couple of slides in the presentation.

“Commander, do you require assistance?” A voice broke Tournneau’s concentration. He looked up from his PADD to see his new Assistant Chief, Lt. Beladd(PNPC) standing next to him. She had come off the service lift behind him, and thought she would be remiss to simply pass her superior by without saying something.

Tournneau turned to face the junior officer. “Ah, good morning, Ms. Beladd,” he greeted her. “Looks like you’re getting an early start today?” She nodded enthusiastically, the swirling blue light of the reactor vessel glinting in her orange eyes. “Excellent,” Tournneau said in response. I have to say, I’m surprised - you must have been up half the night with the shutdown. So, how are you finding the ship and the crew so far? Any concerns?”

“No sir, no concerns to report,” Viradia replied. “I’m finding everything to be beyond nominal so far.” Viradia looked around at the other crewmembers, then back down at Tournneau. From what she had gleaned about him so far, he was - unconventional - to say the least. His uniform was definitely out of regs - a jumpsuit covered with utility pockets and ringed with belt loops, but modified to have the black officer’s pants legs and department stripe; over that, an open officer’s jacket, with various tools and calipers tucked into any available pocket space. Well, maybe when I get my own department one day, I’ll have the clout to do my own tailoring. She quickly finished her first thought out loud. “Everyone has been very pleasant so far, very excited to get underway - as am I.”

“Good to hear, Ms. Beladd, good to hear. I’m just finishing my notes for the department meeting later this morning. Anything you think I should add, or that you want to bring up?”

Viradia raised her eyebrow - or rather, the mottled dark blue skin on her brow - as she thought. She was pleasantly surprised at the Commander’s trust in her so far - between supervising the power transfer last night to asking for her input on such an important meeting within a day of meeting her - but then again, she was the second in command of the department. Such latitude would be shown and expected of her for the duration of this tour.

“Nothing major - although yesterday, when you came to talk to me in Beta Core, I did notice a slight frequency variance between the two secondary subcores. It looks like they’ve required constant recalibration every eight to ten hours. It’s miniscule, less than a 0.06 percent offset in eight hours, but over time...”

Tournneau was pleasantly surprised. “So, you have been busy then! Good catch - but we are aware of that already. It is something that the shipyard wasn’t able to sort out - I haven’t had much luck with it either.”

Viradia seemed a little perplexed by the Lt. Commander’s response. Surely, there’s something that can be done about it….

Derek read her facial expression. “We are still looking at it in between tasks, but sometimes the difference between theory and practice is just irreconcilable. I think I know why it’s happening, though. Do you think you know?”

Just like my comp exams, Viradia thought. As much as she wanted to come up with an answer, it would just be pure speculation. Honesty would probably be her best move. “I don’t think I am familiar enough with the system yet to make a judgment on that, Commander.” She was a bit apprehensive saying that, but it was the truth. “ Although, I’d certainly like to know what you think the answer is,” she added.

Derek tapped on his PADD. “I think you’ll find the answer here, Ms. Beladd.” He pulled up the correct screen and handed it to her. “What do you see there?”

Viradia looked at the data and a crooked smirk grew on her face as she read it. She shook her head in an amused disbelief. Of course - it’s so simple, yet so subtly hidden. “The two cores are from different production runs,” she said. “The forward core is serial number 6, the aft core is serial number 45.”

“Precisely!” Derek exclaimed. He began walking around the Engineering deck as he spoke, and Viradia followed. “Both of the subcores are of course, modified Type-7’s originally meant for the Defiant class. The aft core is original to the Mali, built to order when her keel was laid. But the forward core was a spare from the beginning of the Defiant project - perfectly good and spaceworthy,” Derek gestured reassuringly. “Even though they were built to the same specs, they were ultimately built by completely different people. Rather than being sisters, they are more like...best friends, if that makes any sense.”

Viradia nodded and grinned. She knew that Humans had a tendency to anthropomorphize their ships - but it was a trait that Bolians shared. “They weren’t made with the same...what is the human word….soul, I think comes close.”

“I couldn’t think of a better way to put it, Lieutenant,” Derek complimented. He was glad to see that his assistant was in tune with the ship in more than just an intellectual way. “I like to know that my people can feel the mood of the ship, its quirks. My last C.O. hated it when I talked about the ship that way - he was a Vulcan,” he said with raised eyebrows and a serious grimace. Viradia smiled and looked down as she laughed lightly. “But, he couldn’t deny my work - I had a sense of the ship in a way that logic couldn’t follow. Not to say that it’s all by feel, you need to know what you’re doing - of course. But….” Derek stopped and turned to look up to Viradia. “I’m sorry - I’m just rambling now. Is there anything else you wanted to add before the meeting?”

Lt. Beladd continued smiling as she shook her head. “No sir, that’s all for now. And I do understand what you mean - every ship has her own ways. If there’s nothing else, I was just going to run a few diagnostics at the master system display.”

“No that’s everything, Lieutenant. Carry on - I’ll see you in a little while.” Beladd offered Tournneau a casual salute, which Tournneau returned. Derek’s eyes followed her as she walked over to the panel. I think she’s going to fit in very well with this crew - positive, friendly, knowledgeable, quite skilled. Made the right call there, Derek nodded to himself. He looked back at the swirling core in front of him. Let’s just hope I keep making the right calls here.

OFF

Assistant Chief Engineer

and
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Tournneau
Senior Staff

Mon May 08, 2017 7:43 pm

ON:

<<USS Malinche, NCC-38997-A - Conference Room - Deck 7-Alpha - Mission Day 04 - 1030 Hours>>

Derek keyed the door to the conference room, checking over his PADD one last time. Everything seemed to be in order. He entered the room, glad to see the now familiar faces of the engineering crew. Lieutenant Aarden Ren (PNPC), the Alpha Core supervisor, was there, as well as Ensign Melat (NPC) from Damage Control, Lieutenant JG C’eltor (NPC) from Power Systems, and Transporter Chief Fields (NPC). Lieutenant Beladd (PNPC) was there as well at the first seat at the table facing away from the door, speaking with Lieutenant Brex from Ops, who was sitting across from her and facing the door.

“...and so that’s when I had to take command of the Rhea,” Viradia finished her sentence as Tournneau walked in.

There was a slight pause. It was clear that Beladd was waiting for some sort of reaction to her story. However, Brex was no longer focused on their conversation. His attention had shifted ever so slightly across Beladd's shoulder toward the gentleman who had just entered the room. Viradia cocked her head at Brex questioningly, and then saw that everyone else had also stopped talking. She turned around and saw that Lt. Cdr. Tournneau was standing right behind her. She nodded at him in acknowledgement, and quickly turned around. Her usually blue face was now a bright purple.

Brex watched as the Malinche's Chief Engineer looked around the room. Eventually, their eyes made contact and Brex offered him a welcoming smile. "Good morning, Commander."

“Thanks Brex,” Derek said as he sat at the head of the table, “And, thank you again for joining the Engineering team on this one.”

"My pleasure," the Denobulan replied. His presence was hardly irregular. Personnel from Engineering and Operations interacted with one another on a fairly frequent basis. They had to work together if they were going to keep things running smoothly for everyone else. Although participating in shared meetings such as this one was only a natural extension of that work, it was still nice to have received a personal invitation and to be welcomed.

“Well, let’s get down to it - as you know, the Captain’s taken receivership of the vessel, and we will be underway in a few hours. The first order of business will be testing the propulsion systems.” He tapped his PADD, and a hologram of the ship appeared in the center of the table and began to slowly rotate. The warp nacelles and the internal cores were highlighted in brighter coloration.

“Ms. Beladd, what’s the status of the warp drive?”

Viradia perked up in her seat and gestured to the hologram. “System is nominal, Commander. The diagnostics from last night came back nearly flawless. I’d say she’s as ready to sail as she’ll ever be.”

“Excellent - thank you, Lieutenant,” Derek acknowledged. “Melat, your team finished up the diagnostic after the cores were brought back online. Anything else to report?” Derek tapped the PADD again. The hologram zoomed in on a cut-away of the primary warp core.

Siri glanced down at the PADD in front of her, “We found a slight variance with the intermix ratio, but it’s within normal limits. I plan to look into it myself just in case, sir.”

“Sounds good - Mr. Aarden, are the M-VAM protocols ready to go? I think we sorted out that diagnostic bug, yes?” The hologram shifted again, this time highlighting the warp plasma transfer system conduits between hulls.

"There were some concerns," Ren confirmed. Perhaps that had been a bit of an understatement at the time, but looking back on the whole situation now, it was easier to see things in perspective like how he'd ended up having to crawl through the jefferies tubes with his new boss to try and track down the problem. "We've taken a closer look and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the physical hardware itself," Ren continued, "Once we accounted for the errors in the sensor data that were throwing us off, everything seemed to run pretty smoothly. Everything we've run since then has come up green. I'd say we're ready to go."

“Glad to hear it. And Mr. Brex, any notes from the Ops department? Anything we need to keep an eye on for you guys, or anything that might cause issues during this shakedown cruise?”

Brex shook his head slowly from side to side. Refits and overhauls were understandably a difficult time for most departments as it meant having to get used to a whole new arrangement and way of doing things. This was espeically true for those who worked most closely with the systems themselves. People like those gathered around this very table needed to be extra sure they were aware of everything going on so they could serve as a resource for others who might run into problems along the way. Luckily, there really hadn't been all that much for them to worry about, relatively speaking.

"Aside from the incident Mr. Aarden just described, the new computer systems seem to be operating within normal parameters," Brex reported, offering the Bajoran engineer a reassuring smile, "and while I'm sure there are a few changes we could make to help increase that efficiency, it's not anything that needs to happen right away. I'd say the best thing for all of us moving forward is to keep the lines of communication open. If we can do that, we should get along just fine."

Tournneau looked around the room. All eyes were on him. The events of the past two weeks, the preparations he had been making for the past few months, it all snapped into a moment of clarity. It’s becoming real now - not just a manual, not just simulations. He collected his composure.

“Well team, we’ve been pretty busy these past several days - once we get underway we can settle into a routine, but for this shakedown we’re going to need all eyes open and all hands on deck. That means: working during off-hours, lending a helping hand wherever you see the need arise. No job is too small, and no details get pushed aside. There are no departments on this one - if it was someone else’s job before, it’s your job if you can fix it. If you see something, say something.” The heads around the table nodded in tacit agreement.

“Excellent - well, you all have your duty assignments. We will be undocking in a few hours. Let’s make sure that all stations are secured and the ship is ready for departure when called for. Unless there’s anything else, you’re dismissed.”

The junior officers rose and filed out, chatting with one another about what was needed next. Lieutenants Beladd and Brex stayed seated. Derek swiveled his chair to face Viradia first. “Yes, Lieutenant, something else before we go?”

Viradia shifted in her chair as she spoke. “Well sir, I know that I am scheduled for Main Engineering for the Day Shift, but seeing as how you will be down there today, perhaps I would be better off serving in the Beta Core during the shakedown? Particularly as we are still seeing those small variations.”

“Yes, Lieutenant, I think that might be a good idea. I’ll probably need the both of us to swing between sections frequently during this time. However, I’d like you to be the bridge officer for Engineering during the first phase of the shakedown. You’ll need to help me coordinate things from there first.”

“Understood, Commander. If there’s nothing else….”

“Nothing else, Ms. Beladd - you’re dismissed. Thank you,” he added as she rose.

“Of course, sir,” Viradia responded. She exited the room and headed for the turbolift.

Tournneau stood up and turned to Brex. “So, I think that went well. We’re both slated for the senior staff meeting, it’s in about -” Derek looked down to see the time on his PADD. “- it’s in about now minutes. Shall we?”

OFF

A Joint Post by:

Lieutenant Brex
Chief Operations Officer

Assistant Chief Engineer

Lieutenant (J.G.) Aarden Ren (PNPC of Brex)
Engineering Officer

Ensign Siri Melat (NPC)
Damage Control Officer

and
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Tue May 09, 2017 5:50 am

ON:

<<USS Malinche, Observation Lounge, Day 4, 1050>>

Isabel sat at the head of the observation lounge table, reading through another report on the PADD in front her. Technically the entire senior staff would be at the meeting and could likely brief her on their latest status updates during the meeting, but she wanted to be thorough and not waste her staff's time. No doubt they would have some final preparations to make before they left on their shakedown cruise.

<Turbolift En Route to Bridge>

Tournneau and Brex were on the turbolift to the Bridge. They had just finished up the engineering staff meeting six decks below.

"So, Brex - ready to get this cruise finally underway?"

"Yes," the Denobulan answered. A moment of silence passed between them, broken only by the low hum of the turbolift as it ascended through the ship. Brex suddenly realized that perhaps the engineer was expecting something a little more from him. One word hardly seemed sufficient to summarize one's feelings about their immanent departure.

"It will be nice to get out and finally stretch our legs as it were," Brex elaborated, "No doubt there are others who would agree."

For Tournneau, it was the moment that he had been looking forward to for the past three months. "Oh, dare say that's why we're all here!"

The turbolift stopped and opened onto the Bridge.

<Observation Lounge>

The pair walked through to the conference room. They entered and saluted Kersare, who they found already seated at the table. They took their seats next to each other and waited for the others to come.

PADD in hand, Myka (PNPC) walked into the observation lounge quietly. She was in uniform, as this was an official staff function. Nodding to the Captain, who she'd briefly met the previous evening, Myka moved around the table and took a seat facing the door so she could watch the others come in. Just as she sat down, the doors swished open again, allowing another Bajoran in services gold to walk in. Awen (PNPC), the Malinche's Chief Security/Tactical Officer. Based on her file, the other Bajoran had been involved in the Resistance, much like Myka's father. She nodded to her fellow Bajoran as she took the seat next to her.

Making her way across the Bridge, Nora could sense the building anticipation emanating from the crew while they prepared for the shakedown. She was feeling the excitement herself, and smiled as she entered the observation lounge. “Captain,” she said in greeting to Isabel, taking the seat beside her. The Betazoid looked around the table, seeing mostly familiar faces. She’d had a chance to meet with most of the senior staff, and she was looking forward to getting to know them better in the days to come.

Rhys (PNPC) discovered that he was one of the last to arrive, but the counselor didn’t feel particularly bothered by that. He knew he was still on time, and that was what mattered the most. “May I?” he asked a Bajoran woman, gesturing to the empty chair beside her. At her nod of agreement, Rhys slid into the chair, setting his mug of very hot tea in front of him. No meeting could be complete without a beverage to sip at and enjoy.

Dr. Toren (PNPC) made his way into the room - he nodded to Dr. Trevanion and the others as he took his seat near the end of the table.

Once everyone had arrived, Isabel pulled a different PADD in front of her before speaking, "Good morning, everyone. I'm sure some of you still have some last minute details to look into before we leave, so I'll try to keep this brief. Before I start, though, is there anything that needs to be brought to my attention?"

Awen glanced around the table. She'd met with her department and everything seemed in order. At least, as in order as it would be for the time being. The Bajoran did have a few things in mind for the shakedown to test their preparedness. It seemed nobody had anything to say, which in this case was likely a good sign.

"Well, I suppose that's good news then. Alright, we'll continue with the briefing. We'll be departing Deep Space 9 at 1400, as I previously mentioned, and will be heading for the nearby Koralis star system. It should be relatively quiet, and we won't be bothering anyone there. At least that's what I understand...Ms. Turren?" Isabel turned towards her new Chief Intelligence Officer. While awaiting a response, she tapped a few buttons on the table in front of her and brought up a map showing Deep Space 9 as well as the Koralis system. She then brought up an enlarged picture of Koralis.

Myka nodded to confirm and said, "That's correct, Captain. There was a mining colony on Koralis III previously, but it's been abandoned for at least fifteen years. Some of the equipment and structures were left behind, but nobody is actually living or working there. The other planets in the system are also uninhabited. There have been no reports of any activity there of note."

Tournneau raised two fingers to catch Kersare's eye to speak. "Captain, I recommend that we conduct some basic propulsion tests in system before heading out to Koralis. Thruster maneuvering tests, impulse engine firing, and finally a few laps of the Bajor system at warp. Just before we get underway, I recommend that we should also conduct tests of the Multi-Vector Assault Mode separation and reintegration. We need to conduct this both in normal space and at warp."

"I was certainly planning on going through some maneuverability tests before heading out of the system," Isabel replied, angling herself to look at Derek. "Is there a pressing reason we need to conduct the MVAM tests here before going to the actual system we're supposed to have our shakedown in? Basic tests I certainly agree should take place here to take care of any potential issues. Some of the more complex systems I was going to save for Koralis; it's not that far away and as long as we have power and engines, we can always make it back. Otherwise, we might as well have our shakedown right here in its entirety."

Tournneau raised his eyebrows slightly. "It's certainly your prerogative, Captain - but the shipyard facilities are here as well. I know we will conduct the procedure, most likely several times, as part of our training maneuvers out there; but I would feel more comfortable making sure the hardware works before trying to combine the separation protocol with the stress of a tactical scenario. Perhaps at least a quick separation and reintegration at full stop, after we test the RCS thrusters? It should take no longer than two or three minutes." Tournneau wasn't all that surprised by the Captain's desire to head out directly - she had, after all, commanded the Mali for ten years. However, some of the hardware had been replaced in the refit, and Tournneau tended to place prudence over speed.

Isabel nodded slowly, "We'll go through some of the basics, do a test of MVAM, and then head for the Koralis system. We can test MVAM at warp then as well as some other tests." Part of her knew that caution would be wise, as they did just have a major refit. At the same time, she knew they had done all the necessary diagnostics and more. It wasn't often that the refit engineers did so poorly that a major system failed. Of course, mistakes did happen. And, despite only knowing Derek a short time, she trusted him to ensure the ship was ready. "What else?"

Observing the two engineers - one the CEO, the other the current Captain - Nora couldn’t help but be impressed. She had enough Command training to keep up, but she could hardly boast of any particular expertise in their department. But then, she was happy enough to leave it up to the experts, especially when they were so passionate about their work. She’d just concentrate on not doing any damage and thereby creating any messes for Engineering during the shakedown.

Testing each of the individual systems made sense, especially the more complicated ones like the Multi-Vector Assault Mode, as it would help to make certain any so-called "bugs" were worked out before they really got underway. However, for an operations officer like Brex, a shake down cruise was as much about the individual systems as it was about seeing how those systems interacted with one another under actual operating conditions.

"Operations will be monitoring our performance and collecting data throughout the mission for our post-shakedown assessment," Brex informed the others, "I don't anticipate we'll be having any other major issues, but I would like to run a few diagnostics while we're out there just to be sure everything is running smoothly."

Tournneau looked at Brex across the table and narrowed his eyes at him, smirking. He knew he was poking at him about the reintegration simulation fiasco that happened earlier with Mr. Aarden. He resisted the urge to kick his shins under the table.

"Very good. I'm sure we'll want to take a close look at the results. Hopefully there won't be too many issues to iron out," Isabel replied. "Of course; I would have suggested that myself if you hadn't. Anyone else?"

Awen listened to the conversation and waited for an opportunity to speak. "Captain, I was planning on running some security drills as well. I'll wait til we're reintegrated and then have a few security team members act as intruders - the others will respond accordingly." The Bajoran had a few surprises up her sleeve, or at least so she hoped. She turned towards the other Bajoran in the room, "You're welcome to have your Intelligence officers participate if you'd like."

After seeing Myka nod towards Awen, Isabel answered, "We'll need your department also ready for tactical maneuvers. I do plan on running through tactical procedures that will likely involve MVAM. We'll need an officer on each section of the ship, at least."

"I plan to remain at tactical and allow my Assistant Chief to supervise the intruder drill. And, of course, I'll be sure to have officers ready for a tactical shakedown, Captain," Awen confirmed. It was good to be prepared; not every Commanding Officer would want intruder drills or tactical practice, but it seemed Isabel would be thorough in that regard.

Dr. Toren spoke up. "The medical wing is fully stocked and operational, Captain. We are ready to participate in the shakedown maneuvers, as well as deal with any medical emergencies that may arise on this or subsequent missions."

For a moment, Rhys thought about saying something similar about Counseling, but decided against it. Unless something went seriously wrong, he doubted his department would be needed much, and that was just as it should be. No good ever came from starting an assignment off elbow-deep in traumatized patients.

Isabel nodded in response to the Vulcan Assistant Chief Medical Officer. "Thank you, Doctor." Waiting another few moments in case anyone else had something to say, she glanced around the room slowly. It was odd, in a way, seeing nearly all of her Senior Staff replaced. Obviously transfers happened, especially after a lengthy refit. Still, part of her would miss them. Isabel was very glad that at least Nora had stayed with the ship. "I think that covers all the important topics. As always, if you need anything, be sure to let the Command Staff know so we can address it. As I said earlier, we'll depart Deep Space 9 at 1400 hours. Please also remind those in your department of their MVAM assignments. Dismissed."

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant JG Toren (PNPC of Tournneau)
Assistant Chief Medical Officer

and

Lieutenant Turren Myka (PNPC of Kersare)

and

Lieutenant Brex
Chief Operations Officer

and

Lieutenant Commander Rhys Trevanion (PNPC Of Zeral)
Chief Counselor

and

and

Commander Fala Awen (PNPC of Kersare)
Chief Security/Tactical Officer

and

Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer

and
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Thu May 11, 2017 6:59 am

OFF: If anyone wants me to adjust whether or not their PNPCs/characters are on the bridge, please let me know and I can edit this.

ON:

<<USS Malinche, Ready Room, Day 4, 1355>>

Sat at her desk, Isabel took one last look at the map of the Koralis system on her console. Based on the intelligence reports, there really wasn't very much of significance in the system. Nothing they should have to worry about. All the better, in her mind; they could concentrate on ensuring the ship was ready to go on official missions again.

Noting the time and she turned off the console; time for the shakedown cruise to begin.

<Bridge>

Isabel walked onto the bridge, a slight smile playing on her lips as she looked around at the new bridge. Everything felt new and nearly seemed to sparkle. Of course, that wouldn't really last, but for now... It was still a bit odd to see mostly different people on the bridge. Nora was there, of course, as were Melanie Doram (NPC) at the helm and D'iri Masor (NPC) at the science console. Everyone else was different though...Awen (PNPC) at Tactical, Brex on the ops console, Myka (PNPC), and Viradia (PNPC) was monitoring the engineering systems.

As she made her way to the center of the bridge, she gave a brief nod to the bridge crew. Glancing over at Awen, Isabel said, "Patch me in to the entire ship, Ms. Fala."

Once the Bajoran nodded, Isabel continued, "Good afternoon everyone. We'll be underway shortly. Just to review, once we're clear of DS9 we'll begin our basic testing of the ship's systems. Sensors, deflector, shields, engines, thrusters... After that, we're going to do a basic MVAM procedure. We will not be going to our designated MVAM stations this time as we're just testing basic functionality. We'll then be heading to the Koralis system; our full MVAM test will take place at that time and everyone will need to take their proper MVAM stations when directed to do so. Once we arrive, we'll continue with more thorough testing of the systems. Good luck."

Isabel took her seat in the command chair and smiled at Nora. It was good to be back on the bridge of her ship and heading out once again, even if it was just for a shakedown for now. "Melanie, have you put in our departure request with Deep Space 9?"

"Yes, Captain. We're clear to depart now. Traffic around the station is clear, we're on our own power, and all docking umbilicals and latches have been retracted," the astronavigation officer replied.

"Very well. Set a course for two one five mark zero four zero at one quarter impulse power. Come to a full stop once we reach the coordinates.," Isabel instructed. Once she saw Melanie nod, she took a deep breath. "Engage."

The Malinche began moving away from the station at a slow, steady pace. The coordinates would take them out of the immediate vicinity of Deep Space 9 and, therefore, out of the main path of any incoming or outgoing starships. The Prometheus class starship moved smoothly through space toward the designated heading. After a few minutes, it began to slow before coming to a full stop.

Melanie looked down at her console, sliding her fingers across its smooth surface as she brought the ship to a halt. So far, the navigation systems were responding properly. "We've reached the designated coordinates, ma'am. We're now at a full stop."

Isabel nodded, "Thank you. Engineering, Ops, Tactical - are we ready for basic testing? If so, we'll begin and once everything checks out, we'll head to the Koralis system." Leaning towards her Executive Officer, she quietly said, "Why don't you go ahead and give some of the orders for testing, Nora?"

"Yes, Captain. I've set tactical scanners to scan the starbase and have already advised Deep Space 9 that we'll be testing our weapons lock as well. Shields are ready; currently holding on stand by. Phasers and torpedoes are also showing available," Awen responded. Of course, they wouldn't be firing phasers or any weapons where they currently were. Those tests would wait until the Koralis system. Still, it was good to ensure everything was ready. She also had Sirak (NPC) coordinating the security drills which would take place en route to their shakedown destination.

As the responses began to come in, Myka mostly listened while sat at the mission ops console. For the time being, there was nothing for her to report. Her work would be more relevant once they reached their destination. She slid her fingertips over the console and entered her security code to access the intelligence database. No new updates on Koralis. She turned her attention back to the main viewscreen. It was good to be on a ship again, rather than assigned to a starbase. Both had their benefits, perhaps, but she was ready to be on a ship again.

Nodding towards Awen as she gave her report, Isabel kept a calm demeanor. Although she was eager to get started on an actual mission, she knew they had to thoroughly check their systems first. Hopefully by later that evening or the following day they would have their first mission. For now, though, she had to concentrate on the shakedown. Their systems did have to check out first; if they didn't, the Malinche would be staying at Deep Space 9 a little longer to get them checked out.

OFF: Tag to bridge crew and others on board the ship (if you need ideas on what to post, please ask). I think everyone's tagged with what I've posted here :)
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A