Rough Childhood

Posts regarding your character's life before joining the USS Malinche

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Masterson
Senior Staff

Rough Childhood

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:46 am

<Small Midwestern Town, Earth ? 2373>

Will liked to walk to the school, it really wasn?t that far, and on a nice spring day like this one, it seemed more refreshing than taking the tram. The day was clear and warm with a nice breeze to keep things stirred up a bit, thanks to the weather nets. Sometimes, a few of his friends would join him on his walk, given that they liked to swing by old Mr. Hartmann?s ice cream shop on the way home. Today, Zach and Taylor were following a bit behind him, talking about the guest speaker that had been in class, a local historian who had been telling them about how the town had started way back in the early 20th Century. Mostly, it sounded like they were poking fun at his moments when he would pause and reflect on something for a few moments, without saying a word.

As they neared the ice cream shop, they saw a group of people gathered near the news kiosk, the only one in town, which had a constant stream of news from various sources, including the Federation News Network, which Will?s mom worked for. Ever since the start of the war, she had been off on the front lines on special assignment for the news service and he had only seen her twice, both times via subspace, since he had started the school year. When they drew closer, the three boys were stopped by two Starfleet security officers. ?Which one of you boys is Will Schulz,? the lieutenant asked.

?Uh, that would be me,? Will replied, ?why??

?Your father asked us to come and make sure you got home safely,? the lieutenant replied. Will?s father had been a Starfleet officer before becoming an instructor at Starfleet Academy. He had been away for a couple of days for a special seminar and was expecting to get home until the weekend.

?Is there a problem,? Will asked, a little concerned. The lieutenant seemed to think for a moment before answering.

?I?m sure you?re father will explain it to you when he gets home,? the lieutenant answered.

?Sorry guys,? Will told his friends, ?I guess I?ll see you tomorrow.?

?See ya later,? Zach said as he and Taylor headed into the ice cream shop. Will watched them for a moment before following the two security officers. They walked the rest of the way to his house in silence, though Will was starting to get the feeling that something was going on.

The officers walked him up to the front door and followed him inside, where he set his bag down next to the stairs and headed into the living room. He was surprised to find his father standing next to the window, looking out behind the house. ?Thank you, gentlemen,? he said to the security officers, ?you are dismissed.?

?Welsh to transporter control, two to beam out,? the lieutenant said, tapping his commbadge. The two men disappeared in the blue wash of the Starfleet transporter. For a moment, the house was still and Will could hear the birds outside.

?Will, I just got a call from the news service,? his father began after a few moments, ?your mother has been put on extended assignment on the front lines.? Will knew that his mother had work like this to do and that it was a dangerous, but unique opportunity.

?I've decided that we are going to move to San Fransisco," his father told him, "That way I'll be closer to work and should be able to spend more time at home."

"What about my friends," Will protested.

"You can call them up anytime and you can always use the tram or the transporter to come back and visit," his father told him.

"It's not fair," Will said, storming off to his room and locking the door behind him.
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
Chief Security/Tactical Officer & 2XO
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:11 pm

<San Fransisco, Earth ? 2375>

?Will,? yelled his father from the living room, ?I?ve got a late lecture tonight. Make sure you finish your homework and get to bed on time, we have an early morning tomorrow.?

?They?re just exams dad,? Will yelled back from his room where he was working on his history. It was almost two years since his mother had been given a special journalist assignment and his father had decided to move them both to San Fransisco, so that he?d be closer to work. Unfortunately, that meant that he was gone more often than usual. His mom was still on extended assignment as a field journalist, which meant that he didn?t get to see her or talk to her, since the ship was usually running silent.

He heard his father leave and went back to his studying. Even though he really wanted to get into the Academy, he still felt that his dad was overreacting. They were just exams and he had always been a good student and never had a hard time with exams.

A short while later, his computer terminal chirped with an incoming message. Setting down the padd he was working on, he activated the screen. ?Hey Will, how?s it going,? Tom asked. Tom was a first year cadet at the Academy who Will had met during one of his dad?s lectures on tactical maneuvers.

?Not much,? he replied, ?just working on my history and studying for tomorrow.?

?You?ll do fine,? Tom told him, ?Hey, if I got in?? They both laughed at the implied joke.

?Hey, you want to hit the holosuite,? Tom asked, ?I?ve got a new recreation program you might be interested in.?

?I can?t,? Will replied, ?my dad wants me to finish this up and get to bed. Maybe some other time??

?Sure, some other time,? Tom answered, ?Well, I guess I?ll see you around.?

?Yeah,? Will said, ?good night.? He deactivated the comm. screen and turned back to his half finished report. It was going to take him awhile.

The next morning, his father woke him up with his shouting at the replicator again. ?Dad, just call in maintenance,? Will said, grabbing some food out of the cupboard and wolfing it down.

?Maybe later,? his father replied, glaring at the device in the wall as if it was a disrespectful cadet. The two of them headed down to the main level and hopped on the inter-city tram, a high speed shuttle from their apartment to the Starfleet Complex. As the shuttle raced along, Will watched the various sights of San Fransisco whiz past outside his window. ?Now remember Will, stay focused,? his father was saying, ?don?t rush??

?I know dad,? Will replied as they disembarked just outside of the Academy grounds, ?You don?t have to tell me again.? His father took a step back and looked him over once.

?Well, I guess you?re right,? he said, smiling, ?I?m proud of you, Will. Whatever happens??

?Dad,? Will said, frowning.

?Right,? his father replied, ?Well, I?ll be in my office when you finish. Maybe we can go out for some lunch afterwards.? Will nodded and watched his father head off towards one of the academic buildings while Will went the opposite direction towards the testing center.
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:36 pm

<San Fransisco, Earth ? 2375>

Will exited the exam hall and breathed a sigh of relief. He felt quite confident of his performance, but he still wasn?t quite sure if Starfleet was really what he wanted to do with his life. For a while, his father had been pressuring him to take the exams and go for a career as an officer, but personally, Will wasn?t sure where his life was headed at the moment.

As he crossed the Academy grounds, he saw cadets passing from building to building, class to class. This is where he would spend four years of his life, if he chose the path his father wanted. He reached the academic building where his father?s office was located and passed out of the bright sunlight into the climate controlled lobby. Not bothering to stop at the desk, as he already knew his way, he entered the open lift and rode it up two floors before disembarking. Just down the hall on his right, he approached a set of doors and rang the chime.

?Enter,? his father called from inside. He passed through the doors and saw his father finishing up some work at his desk. ?Will, I?ll be finished in just a sec,? he said, ?Then we can go get some lunch.? Will waited patiently as his father finished up the last couple things and the two of them headed back down to the lobby and outside.

They ended up at a small, street-side caf? not too far from the Academy grounds. While his father was working on a cup of coffee, Will was polishing off a small bit of coffee cake. The two hadn?t spoken much on the walk over, though it was probably because they were both a bit tired. As Will opened his mouth to speak, there was an enormous explosion, sending debris and dust flying everywhere. Immediately, more explosions followed and Will could hear screaming and chaos all around him.

Amidst all the turmoil, he felt a strong grip on his arm and looked up to see his father lifting him off the ground and helping him into a nearby building. Once they were inside, the sounds of the explosions were muffled by the walls. The room was crowded with people, all of them afraid because no one had any idea what was going on. After about twenty minutes, the explosions stopped and everything was silent. ?Ladies and gentlemen,? Will?s father announced, ?Until we can be sure that everything is safe, I ask that you all stay here.?

Already, Will could tell that the Starfleet officer in his dad had taken over. ?Dad,? he called out, as his father headed for the door. He pushed past a couple of people to try and catch him, but as they both went out the door, a terrible sight met their eyes. Buildings were marked with craters and smoke rose from many of them. From the direction of the Starfleet Compound, there were signs of serious problems. Starfleet personnel were beaming down all over the place; medical teams, security officers, anyone and everyone who could assist.

?Will,? his dad said, grabbing him by the shoulders, ?I want you to stay here and wait until I come back for you, do you understand??

?But dad,? protested Will.

?Do you understand,? his father repeated.
?Yes,? he replied, grimly. His father gave him a brief hug and headed off towards the compound. Watching his father?s retreating form, he turned around and went back inside the building to wait.

Over the next few hours, the people began to depart while others, those who had responded to the disaster or those who had been there, began to flow in. The building he was in turned out to be some sort of restaurant and it appeared that many were using it as a place of refuge from the shock of what had just happened. So far, Will had no idea what was going on and rumors were trickling in ranging from the reasonable to the unimaginable.

?Hey, kid,? the owner called out, ?You look like you could use something to do. Here, why don?t you take this around and see who wants some.? The man handed Will a large jug of water and some cups, giving him a reassuring smile at the same time. Will took them and started to move about the mass of people, both the injured and the responders. As he did so, he realized that, in his own small way, he was helping out in this time of need.

Near the edge of the room, he came across a couple of Starfleet officers. As he handed out the water, he overheard them talking. ?Came out of nowhere,? one said, ?though they say it isn?t as bad as it could have been.?

?Who was it,? one asked, taking a sip of water.

?According to what I?ve heard, it was the Breen,? the first answered, ?Lucky we had the Enterprise. If they hadn?t led the defense, a lot more harm could have been done.?

Will was shocked that the Breen had been able to get this far into the Federation. For the rest of the afternoon, he thought about what those officers had said about the Enterprise and the things he was hearing about what Starfleet officers and cadets were doing to help out.

Late that evening, his father returned from wherever he had been. ?Dad, you look exhausted,? Will exclaimed, handing him a glass of water.

?You should be proud of your son,? the owner told his father, ?He helped me serve all these people today.?

?Really,? his father replied, smiling, ?I am proud of him. Come on, Will, let?s go home.? The two headed out into the street. Sounds of emergency workers could still be heard behind them as they headed down the street, but Will had come to a decision. He was going to be a Starfleet officer like his dad. He was going to help people like he had seen others do that day.
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:53 am

First Day on the Job

<<USS Dante, Earth Station McKinley, 2379>>

Will tugged at his tunic for the umpteenth time as the shuttlepod made its way out of the Earth?s atmosphere en route for Earth Station McKinley. Yesterday, he had graduated from Starfleet Academy. Today, he was on his way to his very first assignment and he was nervous.

?Shuttlepod Alpha-1 to McKinley Station,? the pilot said over the commlink, ?Requesting permission to transfer personnel to USS Dante.?

=/\= Permission granted, Alpha-1 =/\= the dockmaster replied =/\= You are clear for approach to USS Dante. =/\= Will rose a little in his seat to peer out the forward viewport where the station was growing larger as they approached. The sheer magnitude of the starbase was enough to take his breath away.

?First time in space,? the man next to him asked.

?No, just my first assignment,? Will replied, continuing to stare out the viewport.

?Ahh, new graduate,? he said, nodding his head, ?Well, you?re in for a treat. The Dante is a fine ship and her captain is one of the best men I?ve had the privilege to serve with.? Will nodded but did not reply as the shuttle passed through the large space doors and entered the interior of the docking bay where a number of starships were in their slips.

The pilot banked the shuttle toward where an Excelsior-class vessel was waiting. Will caught sight of the ship?s registry as they passed over the saucer and around toward the shuttlebay. Suddenly, he felt the man?s hand on his shoulder, easing him back into his seat. ?You don?t want to be standing when we set down,? he said, smiling.

?Oh?sorry,? Will said, glancing at the man?s rank, ?Uh?lieutenant.? The man smiled as the shuttle touched down on the flight deck and the pilot lowered the ramp.

?So,? the man said, trying to make conversation as the two of them disembarked, ?Where have you been assigned??

?Flight Control,? Will replied, following the man out of the shuttlebay and into the corridor.

?Pilot, huh,? he said with a laugh, ?Well, watch out for Lieutenant Soval. I hear he once had two new helmsmen looking to transfer within five minutes. Oh?that reminds me, I needed to be in Engineering for a team briefing. See you around, ensign.? The man chuckled to himself as he disappeared around the corner, leaving Will to look around in confusion and start his search for the nearest turbolift.

--------------------------------------------------------
Will emerged from the turbolift and glanced at the PADD in his hand. He was looking for the Chief Flight Controller and, according to the ship?s computer, he was in main engineering. Will made his way down the corridor until he reached the large double-doors that marked the entry to the ship?s power center. They parted at his presence and he entered the room, looking around to see if he could pick out his superior amid the bustle of launch preparations.

?Ensign Schulz,? a voice called, causing Will to crane his neck and look up toward the upper level of engineering. He saw a Vulcan clad in the red that was typical of his department.

?Lieutenant Soval, sir,? he replied, watching as his superior climbed down a ladder and approached him at a brisk pace.

?Have you had adequate time to settle in,? Soval asked.

?I just arrived, sir,? Will said, nervous and remembering what the lieutenant in the shuttle had said about the Vulcan before him, ?but I can always do that later.? Soval raised an eyebrow before accepting a PADD from a passing technician.

?We?ll be departing at 1200 hours, ensign,? he said, ?I suggest that you get settled in and report to me on the bridge before then for your duty assignments. Dismissed.? Will didn?t need to be told twice. He started moving as soon as the stoic officer had released him. If he was to make a good first impression, he was going to need to be ready for that duty shift.

END
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Re: Rough Childhood

Sat May 16, 2009 3:39 pm

ON: <<Mission Simulator, Starfleet Academy, 2378>>

Cadet Will Schulz tugged on his uniform as he entered the mission simulator. After six months of studying, practicing, and training, he had applied to take the infamous Kobayashi Maru simulation. The simulation was known for its status as a “no-win scenario”. Despite this, there had been a few occasions where cadets had found unique solutions that allowed them to beat the simulation and survive. The most famous of these had been James T. Kirk. Most cadets never even had a chance…

=/\= Cadets: Take your postions for the start of the simulation =/\= the voice of Commander Branton (NPC) said over the intercom =/\= The test will begin in two minutes. =/\=

As the others moved to take their seats at the various stations, Will took his position in the center chair. Even though he knew that command would be a ways off down the career path for himself, he wanted to be sure to get in the experience. The young man settled into the command chair and watched as his fellow cadets ran through checklists and pre-test diagnostics. This would be his first time attempting the test and, admittedly, he was a nervous wreck.

=/\= Attention cadets: the simulation has begun =/\= Commander Branton announced =/\= Godspeed. =/\=

The main viewscreen came to life showing an exterior view of the stars floating by as their ship continued forward on impulse power.

“All systems normal,” Cadet Winter (NPC) reported from ops, “No sign of any Romulan activity.”

“Keep an eye out,” Will replied, “We don’t want any surprises. Mr. S’rul (NPC), plot a course along the Neutral Zone. Make sure we stay on our side of the line and we shouldn’t have a problem.”

“Aye, sir,” the Vulcan replied, “course laid in.” The stars on the viewer shifted slightly as the starship altered its heading to avoid entering the Neutral Zone.

“Sir, I’m receiving a distress call from inside the Neutral Zone,” Winter announced, “It’s fairly garbled…putting it on main speakers.”

A burst of static filled the bridge, followed by a few distortions. Will looked over at Winter, who nodded and made a few adjustments. “This is Captain Will Schulz of the Federation starship Farragut,” Will said, “Please repeat your transmission.”

Farragut,” the static-filled reply came, “This is the…bayashi Maru…ediate assistance. We have a…erium leak…vy casualties.” The message was devoured by static at that point, filling the silence on the bridge.

“Mr. S’rul, lay in an intercept course for the Kobayashi Maru,” Will ordered, “Mr. Winter, inform medical to prepare for casualties. Tactical, keep weapons and shields on immediate stand-by.”

“Might I remind the captain that entering the Neutral Zone is in violation of treaty,” S’rul said, turning to face Will.

“I am aware of that,” Will replied. The truth was that he was fully aware of it. The problem was, there was no way out of this situation. He could see it already…if he refused aid, the three hundred people on the Kobayashi Maru would die. If he went in to assist, he would start a war with the Romulans and both ships would be destroyed. It was a no win scenario…so he went ahead anyway.

“Now crossing into the Neutral Zone,” S’rul announced. The lights on the bridge dimmed slightly as a red glow filled the room, signaling the change-over to red alert. Everyone around him was a flurry of activity as they made preparations to receive the wounded.

“Captain, three Romulan Warbirds decloaking fore and aft,” Tactical announced.

“Shields to full,” Will ordered, realizing the trap had been sprung…they were already doomed. The Farragut shuddered under disruptor fire from the warbirds. Another volley almost threw Will from his chair as a number of consoles exploded along one wall of the bridge.

=/\= Engineering to bridge, it’s looking bad down here…any chance you can keep it down =/\= the chief engineer called.

“Not exactly,” Will replied, turning to Winter, “Hail the lead Romulan ship.” Maybe if he could relay their reasoning for crossing, the Romulans might stand down.

“No response,” Winter responded. Will should have realized that the Romulans would not be open to negotiations.

“Mr. S’rul,” Will shouted over the explosions, “Get us back to Federation space.”

“Helm control is gone, captain,” S’rul replied calmly.

=/\= Engineering to bridge, we have a coolant leak down here =/\= the chief engineer’s voice announced, =/\= I estimate two minutes to a warp core breach! =/\=

Will slammed his fists on the arms of his chair as the Farragut shuddered again. “All hands abandon ship,” Will announced. A shrill klaxon began to blare, sounding for all personnel to abandon ship. Moments later, it was all over.

The lights came back on and Commander Branton entered via one of the side passages. “Congratulations cadets,” he said with a grim face, “You are all dead and the Federation is now at war with the Romulan Star Empire.” It was a little bit of an exaggeration, but not much. “You are all to report to debriefing,” the commander continued, “dismissed.”

As the others filed out, Will bowed his head in his hands. He had thought that maybe…just maybe…he could have found a way to beat the no-win scenario. Commander Branton seemed to know exactly what Will was thinking. “Just because you didn’t win doesn’t make you a bad commander,” Branton said from where he stood, “The test is designed to push cadets to their limits.”

“With all due respect, sir,” Will said, “There aren’t many ways to overcome it. In fact, there aren’t any.”

“If there aren’t any, then how has it been beaten before,” Branton asked, eying Schulz. When the cadet didn’t reply, the commander added, “The Kobayashi Maru is a test that introduces future officers to the possibility of a no-win scenario. It is meant to test your reactions when you know there is no possible way out. The moment you surrender to a no-win scenario, you have lost all chance at finding a way out.”

There was a moment of silence as Will tried to sort out what he could have done better, what he did wrong. He also thought about the commander’s words…and what he meant by them. When he still didn’t say anything, Branton turned for the exit. “You are dismissed, cadet,” Branton said, “But remember, this isn’t the end.”

OFF

Commander Branton (NPC)
Starfleet Instructor
Starfleet Academy

Cadet Winter (NPC)
Second Year Cadet – Operations
Starfleet Academy

Cadet S’rul (NPC)
Fourth Year Cadet – Helmsman
Starfleet Academy

Played by
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Masterson
Senior Staff

Re: Rough Childhood

Tue May 26, 2009 12:06 pm

ON: <<Starfleet Academy, Earth, 2379>>

The hall was buzzing with conversation and activity as the cadets filed into their seats. Outside the sun was shining and the skies were clear. The weather could not have been more perfect for such an important day. Four years ago, Will had been seated in this hall as an incoming cadet and now he was standing with his fellow classmates, waiting for his commission.

Just last night, his father had sent him a lengthy communique. Unfortunately, his father had just left on an assignment for the Academy at one of their off-world sites and would be unable to attend the ceremony. Will had appreciated the message, in which his father made it clear how proud he was of his son for having made it this far.

Will's attention returned to the present as the commandant stepped up to the podium. "Cadets, take your seats," she ordered. As one, the hall fell silent and took their seats. The only sound was the shuffling of the thousands of seats as everyone settled in. The attention of the entire hall was on the commandant at the podium.

"Four years ago, you entered this Academy as bright, young individuals, ready to take on the duties and obligations of Starfleet," the commandant began, "You came here in search of adventure, excitement, maybe even something new. Over those four years, you studied, trained, forged friendships, and learned what it takes to be a Starfleet Officer. Now we send you out into the fleet, confident that we have given you our best and that you will use that to make the Federation a better place."

The audience clapped politely as the commandant took her seat, allowing her aide to take the podium. "Ladies and Gentlemen, distinguished guests, graduating cadets...it is my pleasure and honor to introduce this year's commencement speaker," the commander announced, "You have probably heard her story a hundred times, how she persevered and brought her crew home at the end of the day, safe and sound. May I present to you, Vice-Admiral Katheryn Janeway."

The applause that followed the aide's announcement was thunderous as the Federation's most famous woman took the stage. She smiled, acknowledging the applause and waiting politely for it to die down. "I think we're going to need the inertial dampeners fixed after that one," Janeway said with a smile. Chuckles could be heard from the audience at the admiral's icebreaker.

"In all seriousness," she continued, "Today is an important day...it is a new beginning and I challenge each and every one of you to run with it. When Voyager was swept 70,000 lightyears across the galaxy, it looked as if there was no way we would ever see Earth again. For us, it seemed like we would meet the end in the Delta Quadrant...but I knew that I wasn't going to let that happen. I took our situation as a new beginning, a possibility for something good. Our misfortune gave us the opportunity to encounter species the Federation had never known, see anomalies that no scientist had ever dreamed existed, and it gave us a bond that nothing could destroy. As you accept your commissions today and step out of this hall to your first assignments, I ask you to think of it as a new opportunity, a way to make a difference and to learn. You never know what may be behind the next nebula. Congratulations cadets and godspeed."

As Janeway returned to her seat, the auditorium was filled with applause. The Commandant stepped up to the podium once again and nodded to the admiral before motioning for silence. "Thank you, Admiral Janeway, for those words of wisdom," the commandant said, "It is time now to begin the commissioning ceremony. Cadets rise." Will got to his feet along with his fellow cadets. This was it...the moment he had been waiting for. The excitement in the room was palpable.

"Do you swear to to support and defend the Federation and its Constitution, Articles, and General Orders," the commandant asked.

"We do," the cadets replied in resounding chorus.

"Do you swear to follow the orders of the President of the Federation, the Federation Council, Starfleet Command, and your superior officers," the commandant asked.

"Will you carry out Starfleet's mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before," the commandant asked.

"Then by the power and authority vested in me by Starfleet Command, as Commandant of Starfleet Academy, I hereby accept the Cadet Flight of 2379 for commencement and authorize the commission of every member of this flight to active duty," the commandant concluded. Will joined in as everyone let out cheers of relief and accomplishment. Applause filled the hall once again as people exchanged celebratory hugs and handshakes.

"Congrats Will," one of his fellow graduates said, patting him on the back.

Once the noise died down, the commandant spoke for the final time. "You are all to report to your duty assignments as per your respective orders," she said, "In closing, I would like to echo the traditional Vulcan salutation. Live Long and Prosper."

This time, Will could have sworn that the ceiling was starting to shake with the noise that echoed through the room. Graduates and guests began pouring out onto the Academy grounds to celebrate and congratulate one another. Will managed to catch a few friends in the bustle before attempting to find a way back to his dorm. He'd be getting his assignment in the morning, but the first thing he wanted to do was get changed and head over to a party at Regallio's. It was time to celebrate with his friends.

OFF
Lt. JG Aaron Masterson
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A