Quaid - Starfleet Special Weapons And Tactics

Posts regarding your character's life before joining the USS Malinche

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Quaid
Senior Staff

Quaid - Starfleet Special Weapons And Tactics

Mon May 05, 2008 8:05 pm

On:

<< Starfleet Special Weapons And Tactics training facility, San Francisco, Earth, 2271.>>

Ensign Jacob Quaid stepped off the air tram with a holdall slung over his shoulder, a PADD in his right hand and a spring in his step. Although he was already missing his friends and fellow cadets from the Academy, it was time for a new venture. In a few moments, he was to attend the induction for SSWAT training. Starfleet Special Weapons And Tactics were considered to be the best of the best in the field of Security. They received the very best training provided by Starfleet, they utilised training from other military?s, Federation or otherwise, and they received the newest and most advanced equipment to leave Starfleet R&D.

As he crossed the courtyard in front of the SSWAT training facility, he was greeted by a gruff looking Bolian. ?Ensign Jake Quaid?? the Bolian Lieutenant asked.

?Yes sir, reporting for duty sir,? Jake replied, instantly freezing and standing to attention.

?At ease,? the Bolian smiled. ?Welcome to SSWAT Training Mr Quaid, I?m Lieutenant Zixx. Do you have your orders??

?Yes sir,? Quaid replied as he handed the PADD he was carrying, to the Bolian.

After browsing the information on the PADD?s screen the Bolian returned his attention to Quaid. ?So newbie, you haven?t even received any field experience, except for Academy training assignments. So what makes you think you?re good enough to be here??

?I have met all the requirements stipulated by Admiral Solus sir, I hold a level 25 grade in phaser marksmanship, maintenance and operation. I was one of the best hand to hand fighters in my class, as you probably already know from reviewing my record, I?m trained in many aspects of security, tactical strategy and covert operations. I also hold degree?s in field medicine and field engineering? sir!? Quaid explained proudly as he stared directly into the Bolian?s eyes.

?Yes, yes?? Zixx said as he began to circle Quaid, finally stopping behind the Ensign. ?But what makes you think you?re good enough to be here!?

With that, Quaid?s elbow connected with the Bolian?s ribs and as Zixx struggled to breath while clutching his side, his legs were swept from under him before Quaid?s boot was pressed firmly on the Bolian?s neck ? not enough to kill, but enough to cause further discomfort.

Struggling to speak, the Bolian grinned, ?You?ll do, newbie.?

Quaid removed his food from the Bolian?s throat and offered to help him to his feet, an offer that Zixx gladly accepted.

?Come on, Commander McTavish will want to see you ASAP,? Zixx said as ushered Quaid through the main doors.

As they headed through the main foyer and up a flight of stairs, Quaid noted how quiet things seemed to be at SSWAT HQ compared to the Academy or Starfleet Command. But then again, Admiral Solus did point out how SSWAT was a difficult and exclusively elite assignment.

?Lieutenant,? Quaid said as they reached a Turbolift, ?May I ask you a question??

?Of course,? the Bolian said, ?but I?m sure the Commander will answer any questions when you meet.?

?I?m sure he will, but I?ll probably ask everyone assigned to SSWAT at some point,? Jake explained.

Stepping inside the turbolift car, Zixx grinned, ?I see, what?s your question??

?Well, do you think SSWAT?s necessary?? Jake asked as Zixx inputted their destination through the LCARS interface. Soon enough, the lift doors closed and it began to move.

?Ahh, that old ditty,? he grinned. ?What did Admiral Solus say to you when he told you about SSWAT??

?Only that you handle assignments deemed too risky for standard Starfleet security teams,? Quaid replied.

?That?s Solus alright, always misses the point,? Zixx grinned. ?SSWAT is much more than a standard security team. You?ll be working with the best of the best, you?ll learn from them and you?ll probably teach them a thing or two. He uphold the principles of the prime directive and enforce the law. We?re here to aid the Federation however possible.?

?Yes, but how?? Quaid asked, ?I did some digging and I couldn?t even find so much as a log concerning SSWAT?s activities.?

?That?s because it?s better for everyone if we stay out of the spotlight,? Zixx replied as the lift came to a stop and the doors opened swiftly.

?Look newbie, SSWAT was created to protect and serve, and that?s what we do. One day we could be assisting in the arrest of pirates, the next day we might be rescuing Federation dignitaries from hostile forces.?

The two officers set off again, walking down a long corridor.

?Where are we?? Quaid asked as he realised that they had entered a rather spartan area of the building.

?You?re in HQ?s subbasement,? Zixx replied. ?This is where the magic happens. Training exercises, equipment storage, mission planning?and of course, McTavish?s office.?

Without realising it, they had arrived at a door marked as Commander Phillip McTavish?s office. Pressing the door chime, Zixx turned to Quaid with a grin and said ?good luck newbie,? before heading back toward the Turbolift.

Jake was about to call after the Lieutenant when the doors to McTavish?s office opened.

?Come in Ensign? I?ve been expecting you.?

OFF:

To be continued

A post by:

Lt. Zixx
SSWAT
[NPC Played by Sean]

&
Lieutenant Jacob "Jake" Quaid
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Quaid
Senior Staff

Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:03 pm

ON:

<< USS Galaxy, Main Shuttlebay, 2271.>>

It had barely been 2 months since Ensign Quaid joined Starfleet Special Weapons And Tactics.

Two months of combat training. From 06:00 every morning till 18:00 every evening, Quaid was training his mind and body in preparation of what was about to come. As he and the rest of the SSWAT team gathered on the USS Galaxy?s shuttlebay, he took several deep breaths. He looked to his squadmates. They were all checking and rechecking their weapons. Quaid wasn?t however; he knew exactly what condition his equipment was in, pristine and ready for use within a heartbeat. Maybe it was the way his squadmates expressed their nervousness.

Whatever the reason, they quickly stopped when McTavish?s voiced piped up, the breifing was about to begin.

?Okay people, listen up. Exactly 4 hours and 17 minutes ago, Starfleet lost contact with the SS Starfire. It?s a civillian chartered Oberth Class vessel, which ferries passengers from Earth to Bajor regularly,? the grizzled officer explained. ?We haven?t picked up a distress call from the crew or any of the passengers. However, the Galaxy picked up the Starfire?s emergency transponder signal.?

Quaid?s eyes narrowed, something wasn?t right about this. Protocol stated that the Galaxy had to investigate before calling for assistance from a team like SSWAT, for all they know, the Starfire?s engines could have failed and the ship was simply drifting. As if on cue, Ensign Hubbard spoke up.

?Sir, why didn?t the Galaxy?s Captain follow protocol and investigate for themselves before calling SSWAT in? Rachael asked carefully.

?Because the Galaxy?s sensors picked up another signal in close proximity to the Starfire,? McTacish replied. ?We believe the ship was attacked and boarded by a group of pirates which Starfleet Inteligence believes is responsible for the incident aboard the USS Essex.

Quaid could tell that the stomachs of everyone in the room knotted at the same time as soon as the Essex was mentioned. She was a Miranda Class Starship, which was attacked and boarded while carrying supplies to a Starfleet outpost. While its hold was robbed of the supplies, its crew where subjected to horrific tortures. Rapes, slow and painful deaths? it was a bloodbath.

?I?see?? Rachael replied softly, not knowing how to respond.

?If any of you wish to back out of this assignment now, I?ll understand. There is a small chance that the raiders are still on board, that?s why we?re here,? McTavish explained. ?If you wanna back out, leave the bay.?

As frightened as the crew where, no one moved from their spots.

?Good,? McTavish smiled. ?Our goal is simple, we sweep each deck looking for survivors or hostiles. Once we?ve secured the Starfire, we?ll leave it to the Galaxy?s people to get her fit for travel to the nearest Starbase. You?ve all read the report about the Essex so you should know what to expect. Let?s keep it quick and clean. If you encounter hostiles, shoot to kill. I don?t want to lose anyone on this team to a bunch of animals!?

?Yes sir!? the squad replied in unison, snapping to attention.

?You have your squad assignments,? McTavish said as he looked around at the SSWAT members proudly. ?Alpha?s with me, Beta?s with Lt. Zixx. We?ll sweep the ship in a basic crossover formation.?

OFF:

To Be Continued?

A Joint Post By:

Commander Thomas McTavish
Starfleet Special Weapons And Tactics Commanding Officer
[PNPC Played By Sean]

Ensign Rachael Hubbard
Starfleet Special Weapons And Tactics Squad Member
[NPC Played By Sean]

and
Lieutenant Jacob "Jake" Quaid
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B

Quaid
Senior Staff

Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:42 pm

ON:

<< SS Starfire, Main Bridge, 2271.>>

Alpha team beamed onto the SS Starfire?s Bridge without incident, already in a standard defensive formation. The Alpha?s consisted of Commander McTavish, Ensign?s Quaid and Hubbard, CPO Daniel Tovey, Lt. Krull Jox and Ensign Sokar.

The Bridge was deserted, but wasn?t exactly intact. Most of the consoles had been damaged or disected for spare parts, lighting was minimal and the viewscreen was offline.

?They did all this in a couple of hours?? Tovey asked rhetorically as Alpha team slowly spread out to search the Bridge.

Quaid made his way over to what was left of the tactical station. ?Damn? we?re not gonna get anything from this,? he explained. ?I doubt the internal sensors are working anyway.?

?Then we?ll just have to do things the old fashioned way, newbie,? Jox snorted with a grin. The Tellarite then proceeded to retrieve his tricorder from his equipment harness and flip it open.

A few moments passed and the Tellarite closed his tricorder. ?Radiation from the Warp Drive is impeding the scans,? he grunted.

?Then we?ll just have to do things the older fashioned way, Lieutenant,? Hubbard quipped as she and McTavish made their way to the turbolift.

?Beta team, check in,? McTavish said into his combadge as he and Rachael entered the Captain?s office.

=/\= ?Zixx here boss, we?re on deck 2 now. They really did a number on this ship. So far there?s no signs of casualties, just a shuttleload of damage,? =/\= Zixx replied.

With no sign of anyone in the Captain?s office, McTavish led everyone down to deck 3. As they arrived, they began to spread out and search each room in pairs. McTavish and Tovey, Quaid and Hubbard, and Jox and Sokar began searching the crew quarters first. Having checked a room, the team would simply shout ?clear!? before moving onto the next.

6 rooms in, Quaid and Hubbard found themselves in a completely blackened room. Using their wrist and rifle mounted beacons they checked the room carefully.

?Quaid!? Hubbard said, suddenly startled.

Ensign Quaid turned to his squadmate and looked to where her beacons shone brightly. In the center of the light was the body of a young human woman. Judging from her torn up clothing, she was a member of the ships crew, her beaten, bruised and bloodied features turned Quaid?s stomach. She?d obviously suffered.

He didn?t even hear Rachael report to McTavish via her communicator as he carefully bent down and placed two fingers against the womans neck to check for a pulse.

Without warning, the woman grabbed Quaid?s arm and shoved a sharp piece of metal into his shoulder.

Pain shot through his arm as he watched the woman cower away. Rachael had her phaser rifle poised on her as McTavish entered the room. Grunting in pain, Quaid said ?Hold your fire!?

Hubbard looked to McTavish who simply nodded and carefully approached his squadmembers.

?She?s terrified,? Quaid said as the three of them pointed their beacons in her general direction.

?It?s alright, I?m Ensign Quaid? we?re from Starfleet,? the young man explained in a calm soothing voice before taking several steps toward the woman.

?S-Starfleet? you got our distress call?? she asked, physically shaking.

Quaid carefully reached over to the bed beside him and retrieved the blanket before holding it out to her. ?Yes, we came as soon as we could,? he explained, ?We?re here to help you. Come on out, it?s okay. Nobody?s going to hurt you anymore.?

The woman thought for a moment before moving toward Quaid slowly and allowing him to wrap her in the blanket. She then threw herself at Quaid, wrapping her arms around him before bursting into tears.

?It was horrible?? she sobbed, ?They?re animals? we couldn?t fight them? the crew??

?Who are you?? McTavish asked softly, still keeping his distance from Quaid and the poor woman.

?Madigan, Elisabeth Madigan,? she struggled to say as she continued to cling to Quaid as if her life depended on it. ?I?m the Chief Engineer.?

?Well Ms Madigan, I think it?s time that we get you out of here. We?ll beam you to the Galaxy so your wounds can be treated,? McTavish explained.

?A-alright,? she replied, still unwilling to release Quaid from her grip.

?You go with her, get that arm looked at,? McTavish ordered, ?I?ll have Beta team join us down here and we?ll resume the search together. Get back here as soon as you can.?

?Aye sir,? Quaid agreed, ?Just be careful.?

?We will newbie, we will,? McTavish replied.

OFF:

A Post by

Commander Thomas McTavish
Starfleet Special Weapons And Tactics Commanding Officer
[PNPC Played By Sean]

Ensign Rachael Hubbard
[NPC Played By Sean]

Lt. Krull Jox
[NPC Played By Sean]

Lt. Zixx