Zeral - After the Funeral

Posts regarding your character's life before joining the USS Malinche

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Zeral
Senior Staff

Zeral - After the Funeral

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:49 pm

<<The Zeral Home, Arandel, Betazed, 2378>>

The funeral was over. The house was finally quiet, a miraculous feat considering how well known and beloved Tal and Renora Zeral had been. It had taken many hours to usher the final dignitary or well-wisher from the manor house, and even then only after Nora and her brothers had given every assurance that they would be sure to contact so and so should they need anything, anything at all.

The silence was stifling. It had been months since Nora had visited the beautiful estate, and the absence of laughter within those walls was nearly overwhelming to her. Nora?s mother had always had the most charming laugh; who could have predicted that it was to be silenced forever, and so soon?

I miss them, too. Soren spoke to her telepathically, standing across the darkened entryway where they had bid farewell to their last guest. For one inexplicable moment, Nora was enraged with her eldest brother. Did he really need to state the obvious? Didn?t he think it was a little unnecessary to remind her that their parents would never step foot in the house again?

Taking a deep, calming breath, she carefully reminded herself that it was not Soren she was angry with. Death and loss affected a person in unspeakable ways. It was no surprise that she was experiencing a need to direct her anger and helplessness against someone else.

There you go, self-analyzing again.
Soren, of course, had heard all of her thoughts, sensed all of her emotions. His tone was light, teasing, even, though it took considerable effort for him to pull it off. Lest she forget, he was in mourning just as she was.

I guess I?m learning something at the Academy. And you said I was a hopeless case. Her attempt at humor fell flat. I?m sorry, Soren. And she was. I swear, if I felt one more sympathetic vibration at the funeral, I was going to go mad. You have no idea how difficult it was for me to sit through everybody?s poor attempts at comforting words, no matter how well-meaning they were. It?s as if my being the youngest makes me the most vulnerable to their deaths.

?It?s not that.? The deep, rich tones of his voice finally physically broke the silence, and for that she was grateful. The entire family had spent many years travelling to far away planets and destinations, and they did not always share the resolute determination to use only telepathy that other Betazoids did. ?They just understood how close you were with Mother and Father. You spent most of your childhood with them on their diplomatic missions. And everyone assumes you?ll be the one to fill their shoes now.?

?I already told you,? Nora sighed, exasperated with the subject, ?I?m staying with Starfleet. I have a life there, Soren, just like Bron. Mother and Father supported that, you know that they did.?

?And I do too,? he quickly assured her, reaching out a hand to gently squeeze her shoulder. ?But they would have loved for you to follow in their footsteps, too, Nora. It?s not too late, should you ever change your mind.?

I won?t. Back to telepathy again. You?ve been a politician for too long, Soren. I understand the options that are available to me, but I?ve made my decision. And really, when you think about it, a psychologist isn?t very different from a diplomat.

Her brother laughed at that. I don?t follow your logic, sister, but I?ll let the subject go. I?m a good enough politician to know when a conversation is going to go nowhere. They were enveloped in silence again, regarding each other with the same dark eyes; their father?s eyes.

Just remember, Nora, you always have a home on Betazed. It?s never too late to change your course.

?Go to bed, you two!? Bron was shouting from across the house, inspiring a grin from his siblings. By far the most light-hearted of the three, his attempts at humor never resulted in failure. Striding through the house, he joined them in the entryway, turning up the lights with a raised eyebrow.

?Didn?t you tell everyone that you were simply too exhausted to stay awake any longer?? He was looking pointedly down at Nora, easily a foot taller than her. ?And I thought it was your policy never to lie.?

?Well of course it is,? she returned, raising her chin a notch. ?I?m only awake still because Soren here wanted to try to convince me to stay on Betazed. Again.?

?Rather selfish of him. You?d think he?d want this big house all to himself.?

?I?ll thank the Four Deities when you?ve gone, Bron, you can bet on that,? Soren interrupted.

?It has been a very, very long day.? Nora failed to stifle a yawn, though she wondered if she?d ever find rest that night. ?And I?ll be leaving early tomorrow morning.?

Bed, then, Soren suggested, ushering his brother and sister toward the winding staircase. Nora climbed the stairs ahead of them, bidding them a warm and suddenly emotional good night before retreating to her room. Her brothers had done an admirable job at raising her spirits, but now that she was alone again with only the night as a companion, she felt despair reach its tentacles around her heart once more.

In the morning, she would leave for Earth and Starfleet Academy. Bron would return to duty as a Starfleet Officer. Soren would begin work on closing off wings of the house, then continue his life in politics. Their lives would go forward, their individual worlds keep on turning, but without their parents they would never be a whole family again. Of this Nora was bitterly, painfully certain.
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A