Posts regarding your character's life before joining the USS Malinche

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Steele
Senior Staff

Steele's Past

Tue May 18, 2010 12:29 pm

On:
<<SB Delta 9, Aug 2373, Day 1>>

“Good Morning, I’m Elaine Rutledge for the Federation News Service, here at Starbase Delta 9. As we have been telling you, eight crewmembers from the Thunderbolt have been charged in connection to their alleged support of the Maquis. It has been a mere two days since closing arguments were submitted, but I'm sure it has felt like much longer for the accused. As we are awaiting the arrival of the defendants let’s review their service records."

"The most senior officer is Major Nevin Rukavina. A fifteen year veteran of the Marine Corps, Rukavina is XO of the Thunderbolt’s Marine Detachment. The other Marine charged in this affair is Marine Captain Jessica Rather. After graduating from the Marine Academy seven years ago, Jessica spent some time as a test pilot for the Corps before signing on with the Thunderbolt just under two years ago. Two other fighter pilots have had charges brought against them; Ensigns Lawrence Stegen, and William Huxley. Both from the class of ’72, these two young men honed their skills over the summer before their senior year by attending a condensed course at the Marine Advanced Combat Pilot Academy. Upon graduation they were assigned to the Thunderbolt to augment the fighter wing already on board. If tensions continue to mount in this region of space, expect to see more Fleeters undergoing condensed training with the Marine Corps."

"Also from the class of '72 are two cousins, Ensigns Rebecca and Katelyn Watson. Rebecca signed onto the Thunderbolt 7 months ago to join the engineering team after the destruction of the Odysseus, the cause of which remains unknown. She signed onto the vessel at the urging of Katelyn who was serving as a biologist aboard the ship since graduation. After some bargaining with the Thunderbolt’s chief Engineer, Lt. Pablo Joriah, and Captain Erickson, Katelyn got her cousin a spot on the Thunderbolt."

"Next is Lieutenant Junior Grade Vanya Piel who has served as a nurse on board the vessel since her graduation in '69. The remaining officer is Crewman Travis Miller. Miller, the only enlisted officer to be charged, served briefly on DS9 as a security officer before being transferred to the Thunderbolt.”

Rutledge paused to get a drink of water before continuing. “So there you have it Ladies and Gentlemen; 3 fighter pilots, one a Marine, another Marine, 1 engineer, 1 biologist, a nurse, and a security officer, four of whom all graduated in the same class at Starfleet Academy. Does this help the theory that more junior officers support the Maquis than do senior officers? For this we turn to Scott Lisowski. Scott?”

“Thank you Elaine…”

Off:
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Steele
Senior Staff

Re: Steele's Past

Tue May 18, 2010 12:32 pm

On:
<<SB Delta 9, Conference Room A-4, Day 1, 09:00 hrs>>

The group filed into the room with grim expressions on their faces. The outcome of the trial would literally make or break their careers and they were warned that even a 'not guilty' verdict could jeopardize further promotions; especially if they transferred off the Thunderbolt.

The panel of senior officers that made up the panel of judges entered soon after the defendants. With little fanfare the verdicts were read off in descending order of rank.

"Major Nevin Rukavina, on the charge of treason, this court finds you guilty. On the charge of conduct unbecoming an officer this court finds you guilty."

The major continued to stand there defiant to the end. He was hurt by the outcome but wasn't going to show it.

"Ensign Katelyn Watson on the charge of treason this court finds you guilty. On the charge of conduct unbecoming an officer this court finds you guilty. "

"Ensign Rebecca Watson, on the charge of treason this court finds you guilty. On the charge of conduct unbecoming an officer this court finds you guilty."

The cousins embraced as they began to sob on each others' shoulders.

"Captain Jessica Rather, on the charge of treason this court finds you not guilty. On the charge of conduct unbecoming an officer this court finds you not guilty."

This came as a shock to everyone present after three consecutive convictions. The remaining defendants now had hope that they would get off as well.

Unsure what to do, Jessica walked over to Katelyn and Rebecca to give them what she hoped was a comforting hug.

"Ensign Lawrence Stegen on the count of treason this court finds you guilty. On the count of conduct unbecoming an officer this court finds you guilty."

The young pilot had been out of the Academy for less than a year and now his career was coming to an abrupt end. Upset over this he tore his rank insignia off his collar and threw it to the ground.

"Lieutenant Junior Grade Vanya Piel, on the count of treason this court finds you not guilty. On the count of conduct unbecoming an officer this court finds you not guilty."

Vanya nearly fainted from the shock of receiving the news. After four out of five were found guilty she was sure she was next.

"Ensign William Huxley, on the count of treason this court finds you not guilty. On the count of conduct unbecoming an officer this court finds you not guilty."

William let out the breath he had been holding the whole time. He looked across the room and locked eyes with one of the Intel operatives who had testified against them. He hated them for what they did and wanted them to know.

"Crewman Travis Miller, on the charge of treason this court finds you guilty. On the charge of conduct unbecoming an enlisted officer this court finds you guilty. "

Travis simply shook his head displeased with the results.

The Admiral reading the charges paused briefly before continuing. "That concludes this part of the trial. Sentencing will be held this afternoon at 16:00 hrs. Until then this court stands in recess."

Those found guilty were taken away by security back to the holding cells, leaving William, Vaya, and Jessica; Commander Heruela had followed the others to discuss the likely outcome of the sentencing phase. The three stood there with a mixture of emotions registering on their faces. They had beaten the system, so to speak, but five of their shipmates had not; and as a result their careers would be ended because they saw what they perceived as a wrong doing and tried to correct it.

<16:05 hrs>

Not surprisingly all five had been given the same sentence; they were stripped of all rank, given a dishonorable discharge and sentenced to ten years in a penal colony. In the closing remarks, Admiral Gates stressed that the court could have been harsher in their sentence and that he hoped this served as a warning to others who were currently, or were thinking about, assisting the Maquis. He looked straight at the three who had been found not guilty as he delivered the warning. With that the trial was ended and the convicted were hauled away with little regard to their service in Starfleet.

Off:
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Steele
Senior Staff

Tue May 18, 2010 12:37 pm

On:
<<SB Delta 9, Holding Cells, Cay 2, 09:20 hrs>>

The guard led Aaron down the corridor to the cell where Katelyn was being held. He lowered the forcefield in front of the door long enough to allow Aaron to pass through. "I doubt either one of you is foolish enough to try anything but I have to follow regulations. Use the intercom to let me know when you're ready to leave."

As the door closed and the forcefield crackled back on, Aaron turned to Katelyn. "I must admit, I didn't expect this nice of a cell considering what you've just been convicted of."

Katelyn simply shrugged. "They said since no one knows just how long we'll be locked up here; these cells provide more privacy than a normal cell with just a forcefield."

"Listen Katelyn" Aaron began haltingly. "I'm sorry I got you mixed up in all of this. I never intended for you to end up like this."

She cut him off. "Don't be. I chose to help out the Maquis because I felt it was the right thing to do, not because of you. Yeah, it made it easier that the man I'm in love with supported me, but that didn't affect my decision. We all knew the risks coming into this, be thankful it was Starfleet who caught us and not the Cardassians."

Katelyn kissed Aaron. "Now are you going to continue to stand their apologizing, or are we going to enjoy our last time together for a while?"

<Some time later>

Aaron pulled on the rest of his uniform which contrasted with the gray jumpsuit Katelyn had just donned before giving her one last kiss. "I'll try and come visit you, but with the political situation the way it is, it may be some time. I love you Katelyn."

"Understood, I love you Aaron, goodbye."

<Late October 2375, Ebye Sector, Starship Barbarossa>

As the ship left the system in which the penal colony Katelyn was sent to was, Aaron found himself sitting at the ship's bar unsure of his next actions. Like many in his profession, the bartender quickly picked up on Aaron's mood.

"Things not go well on the surface I imagine. What happened, were you just told their sentence was extended?"

Aaron had to process the bartender's question a bit longer than usual before answering. "No, in fact she just got out. All Maquis sympathizers have been officially paroled."

"Than you should be celebrating instead of moping around. Unless… unless the reunion wasn't as happy as expected?"

"That's an understatement. This was the first real chance we had to communicate since the war began. I guess I was hoping to pick up where we left off just over two years ago. Trouble is, she's changed, I've changed, we've both changed over the past two years. After spending close to a week together trying to make up for lost time, we both came to the decision to call it off."

The bartender poured two glasses of a green colored drink. Setting one in front of Aaron, he raised his in the air.

Aaron took the offered drink and followed suite raising his glass.

"To past and future lovers"

"Past and future lovers" Aaron repeated the toast before downing whatever it was the bartender had poured.

Off:
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Steele
Senior Staff

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:03 pm

August 12, 2369/ 09:15
Starfleet Academy
San Francisco, Earth

Aaron stepped off the transport shuttle joining the gaggle of cadets making their way on to the Academy grounds. After a quick security check, the cadets were given their billeting assignments and sent on their way. The assignment told where he was staying but did not make any mention of who his roommate would be.

“Where you headed?” a fellow cadet asked?

Aaron slowed down allowing him to catch up.

“Aurora hall, room 605. How ‘bout you?” Aaron responded when the Trill had caught up.

“Aurora, 610. The name’s Joteus Susth what’s yours?”

Aaron shook Joteus' hand.
“Aaron Steele. Nice to meet you Joteus.”

The two cadets continued to talk as they made their way towards the dormitory.

“So, what’s your major.” Aaron inquired.

Joteus shifted his pack as he replied.
“Either Security or Intelligence. I haven’t made my final decision yet. Have you made a decision yet?”

“Yeah. I’m majoring in Science with a minor in communications. I figure I could go a couple of directions with that.” As they were walking, Aaron was keeping an eye out for any familiar faces. More than one of his friends were supposed to be starting at the Academy as well, but he had yet to see any of them. Regardless of the size of Starfleet Academy, it didn’t take the two cadets long to locate Aurora Hall. After checking in at the front desk, the two cadets parted ways.

Entering his room, Aaron discovered his roommate had yet to arrive, which had some advantages. Tossing his bags on the lower bunk of the bed, Aaron began unpacking. He was just about finished when another cadet walked in the room.
"William Huxley, I guess I'm your roommate."

Aaron closed the dresser drawer before shaking William's hand.
"Aaron Steele. Nice to meet you. Hope you don't mind I took the bottom bunk."

William smiled.
"Not at all. Know what you're taking yet?"

Once again Aaron answered the question, and in reciprocation William vocalized his chosen major of engineering with a minor in flight operations.

Off:
Last edited by Steele on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Steele
Senior Staff

Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:04 am

April 21, 2369 17:00 hrs
Starfleet Academy
San Francisco, Earth

With finals staring in four weeks, most cadets were starting to think about studying for the exams. It also meant that those yet to finalize plans for the next year were running out of time. It was this predicament that Aaron and his roommate found themselves in. The two had just returned from a class when the topic was forced upon them as the dean of students, Commander Niebur, was in the lobby of Aurora hall as they entered.
“Have you two gents made arrangements for next year?”

“ No Ma’am.” they replied in unison after a brief moment of silence.
As if anticipating the next question, Aaron continued.
“We were thinking of transferring to one of the satellite campuses but aren’t sure which one.”

Niebur looked at the time.
“Officially my office is closed at this time. But I could make an exception for the two of you. Follow me and let’s see if we can’t get you set up for the next year.”

Once everyone got settled, Niebur read over their files.
“Aaron your major is Science with a minor in communication and William yours is Engineering and with flight control as your minor. Is that correct?”

William and Aaron both nodded.
“That’s right.”

Niebur did some research on the computer before speaking again.
“By far our most popular location is the campus in Marseilles, France. However if you’re looking for something different, we recently opened up a campus on Genour 4 which is about a weeks journey from Bajor at Warp 5. It’s a small campus with room for about 150 students and most spots are filled but there’s still 17 spots open if you’re interested.”

William and Aaron looked at each other. It was definitely something different but both had serious girlfriends who were planning on staying in San Francisco next year. If they were to stay on Earth they could visit on the weekends and holidays but Genour 4 was considerably farther.

Sensing their indecision, Niebur broke the silence.
“If you’re not sure about this I can hold your positions for twenty-four hours but no more, spots are filling up fast.”

After agreeing to let Commander Niebur know of their decision the next day, William and Aaron left the James T. Kirk administrative building and headed across campus to the Women’s residence halls. They both knew what they had to do; convince their girlfriends to come with them to Genour 4.

Off:

To Be Continued...

I have some plans for the year at Genour 4. :twisted:
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Steele
Senior Staff

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:39 am

On:
April 23, 2369 16:49 hrs
Office of Commander Niebur

Niebur had just finished filing a disciplinary report when the chime to her office sounded.
“Enter.” She said, clearing her computer screen. As William and Aaron walked in with their girlfriends Niebur smiled knowingly; so that was the reason for their hesitation. After the cadets took a seat Niebur addressed the four of them, but William and Aaron in particular.
“I assume you have come to a decision.”

“We have” began Aaron. “All four of us would like to transfer to the campus on Genour 4 for the ’69-’70 school year. Assuming there are enough positions open.”

Niebur had already pulled up the information on her computer.
“You’re in luck. There are eleven spots open including the two I held for you last night…. If I could get the names and majors of your companions we can finalize the transfer.”
Aaron’s girlfriend spoke up first.
“Katelyn Watson, I’m majoring in Biology.”

“Tara Gallagher, I’m majoring in Physical Sciences.”

Niebur gave William a teasing look.
“An engineer among all these scientists, must make for some interesting conversations.”

William simply shrugged.
“It does but that’s ok. When their equipment is broke they’ll need help from people like me to fix them so it all works out in the end.”

When everything was completed, Niebur addressed the group.
“Congratulations! Everything is finished. You should receive official confirmation later this week with the details. I don’t anticipate any problems, but if you do have any trouble regarding this, come see me as soon as you can and we will do our best to sort it out. Now that that’s finished, is there anything else I can do for you?”

All four said that there was nothing further and thanked Commander Niebur for her help before leaving her office.
Little did they know as they returned to their respective residence halls the impact their decision would have on their lives.

Off
Lt. Aaron Steele
Chief Science Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A