Harmon - And Then There Was One

Posts regarding your character's life before joining the USS Malinche

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Harmon
Senior Staff

Harmon - And Then There Was One

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:09 pm

<2381, March, USS Nathan Hale (Sentinel Class) En Route to Starbase 10, Corridor, 0540>

Devon had always been an early riser. His morning routine would start with putting on a pot of fresh coffee at 0500. If he was on a Starbase, that is. On his ship tours, he would always go to the mess hall first for his coffee. Replicators were a last resort. And his coffee had to be just right; Dark Jamaican Blend, black no sugar, and twenty-four ounces.

The doors to the mess hall slid closed behind Devon as he stepped inside. He made his way to the counter and sat down. Spinning around in his chair, he took in the scene. The mess hall was almost empty. The few patrons were sitting near the ‘windows’. Devon noticed they were in services gold like him. They also seemed to be staring out at the passing stars as they sipped their drinks and ate their breakfasts. He expected they spent most of their time inside the ship and wanted a few minutes of ‘outside’ time. At least that’s how he felt sometimes. He heard the chef approaching and turned back to the counter.

“Sorry it took so long,” he said as he walked up. “What’ll it be this morning?”

“Twenty-four ounces of coffee in a container I can carry with me. Make it Dark Jamaican Blend, black no sugar. And I’ll be in tomorrow morning 0545 for the same thing.”

The cook smiled. “Thanks for the heads up. I’ll have it ready and waiting.”

“Actually,” replied Devon, “I prefer it fresh. Don’t make it ahead and have it waiting.”

“Oh, uh, okay. Sure thing.” The chef thought it an odd request. Most Starfleet personnel he’d met over the course of years fell more on the side of the ‘have-it-ready-when-I-get-here’ type. But who was he to question. The chef turned went to the order.

Devon turned back around just in time to see a Petty Officer approaching. “Mind if I join you?” she asked.

Slightly turning his head to the side, Devon replied, “Nope.”

The raven-haired woman sat down next to Devon. She was fair-skinned and had her black hair pulled back in a ponytail. “I haven’t seen you around before. Are you new?”

“No, I’m just catching a ride to Starbase 10 for my next assignment,” replied Devon. The chef brought Devon’s coffee to him. He picked it up and took a sip.

“Oooh, a Starbase assignment. I don’t think I’ve ever had one of those before,” said the Petty Officer.

Devon laughed. “It’s not as exciting as you may think.” He stood. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to brush up on the recent security events at the Starbase.”

“Okay, then. Have fun,” came the reply.

Devon walked out of the mess hall and back to the guest quarters, coffee in hand.

OFF: To be continued....
Chief Petty Officer Devon Harmon
Chief of the Boat & Master-at-Arms
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A