Setak: The call of duty

Posts regarding your character's life before joining the USS Malinche

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Setak
Crewmember

Setak: The call of duty

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:36 pm

<Mirror Universe, 2359, Trill Homeworld, Academy of Advanced Medicine>

Trapped within the fog of rage, his mind flooded with visceral, raw emotion Setak had lost all sense of where he was. Though his eyes beheld the bloodied face and the flesh of his fist burned as if on fire he was no longer consciously aware that he had nearly beaten the guard to death... It was only after the white hot searing energy of a Bajoran phaser erupted through his body that Setak came to and his last sight before passing out was the smiling face of his Bajoran master, gratified that he had been given an excuse to shoot.

-----------------------------

The day had started as uneventfully as any other, an alarm signifying the rise of the sun followed by a modestly portioned meal and the call to duty; intensive care ward. The room had been littered with wounded Cardassians, supposedly the result of a Terran terrorist's suicide attack on an alliance mining facility. Setak hadn't been so sure. It was more likely that the Alliance's most recent campaign into Romulan territory had ended with failure, the Vulcan physician knew better than to believe any 'official story' that the Alliance's propaganda machine released. Besides, it was doubtful that any Terran, regardless of their cunning, could muster the resources required to pull off an attack capable of inflicting casualties in the thousands.

The presence of the Cardassian fleet at Trill was not unusual, nor was the multitude of suffering combat wounded but as Setak discovered halfway through his day, the presence of his master certainly was. It had been years since the Bajoran scientist Jal Torre had visited Trill, half a decade since he had demanded the service of his slave directly. Setak had nearly allowed himself to believe himself a free man but knew better, yet he had enjoyed years of seeming freedom. The sight of the aging Bajoran from across the room had sent chills down Setak's spine and the agitation only swelled as he was grabbed by the arms from behind.

"Setak," Torre had grinned as he removed the black leather gloves from his hands and stuffed them in his tunic's pockets. "Its been too long, I see that the Trill have treated you well! You seem... Healthy."

It was no secret that the Bajoran hated Vulcans nor that Setak harbored a deep resentment of his master but such emotions were rendered moot by their unique relationship. Setak had been implanted with a kind of fail safe system years earlier that prevented him from taking direct action against his master, after attempting to kill Torre in his adolescent years. Setak was an invaluable asset to the Bajoran, fiercely independent and possessing a singular intellect that had served its purpose more than once. Above all, Torre prized his Vulcan prisoner for his psyonic gifts, the mind meld. Indeed, Setak had successfully interrogated rivals who would have never succumbed by traditional physical means.

"You must suspect why I have come," Torre said as he approached, nodding for his guards to release Setak and placed his hands on his subject's shoulders. "I have a job for you."

"Of course," Setak spoke, his neutral tone concealing the anger that was building within.

"Good! I expect you to be aboard my cruiser this evening," Torre let his voice trail off knowingly.

Setak was instantly outraged, "What?! I have work to finish, I cannot just pack up and leave here - I have duties that I am expected to perform!"

"You will obey your master!" Torre scolded the Vulcan before driving the butt of his phaser across Setak's brow, driving the Vulcan to the ground. "You have been here for too long Setak, you have forgotten your place. Make no mistake, you are and always will be my property."

Setak glared at Torre through the emerald droplets that dripped slowly from his brow, if he had not been restrained by the implant his fury would have been released upon the Bajoran with deadly force. Because he could not take action against Torre it would be his body guard that would take the brunt of the assault, a futile action by any measure but it might make the Vulcan feel better. He had spent the majority of his life among the Trill and in an instant would be pulled away. He had known the day would come but it was of little consolation, his anger was still boiling and even if he wanted to he would not be able to hold it back...
Lieutenant Setak
Biologist
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A