Zeral - Choosing Her Path

Posts regarding your character's life before joining the USS Malinche

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Zeral
Senior Staff

Zeral - Choosing Her Path

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:53 pm

<<Zeral Manor, Arandel, Betazed, 2378>>

Nora was lingering in the hall outside her father’s study as she gathered her courage. Her father was not necessarily an intimidating man, but Nora was and always had been eager to please him, which made her purpose for coming to see him now all the more difficult to follow through with.

Stop hovering outside the door, Nora, and come inside. Her father’s voice entering her thoughts nearly made her jump. She should have known he would sense her there. Summoning her determination and fighting down the butterflies in her stomach, she forced herself to step inside her father’s study.

Tal Zeral (NPC) sat behind his desk with his fingers laced together, one dark eyebrow cocked as he watched his youngest child enter the room. There was warmth in the familiarly stern features of his face, and he waited expectantly for Nora to move closer.

She did so with a slightly embarrassed smile, unsure why this was proving to be so difficult. After all, she hadn’t done anything wrong, and she was very excited about where her life was about to go. The only thing she needed to do now was to inform her father of her plans.

You’re all business, I see, Tal remarked telepathically, his dark eyes watching her intently.

Yes, Nora replied simply, standing to the side of the massive wood desk and looking into her father’s eyes as he sat before her. I’ve come to tell you that I’ve made up my mind.

Have you now? Tal sat up a little straighter, resting one arm on the desk’s surface as he angled in his chair to squarely face Nora. Even seated as he was, he was not much shorter than her. Much to her disappointment, Nora had not inherited the graceful height of any of her family members. Still, it did help that she didn’t have to crane her neck to look up at her father for once, and she felt a little emboldened to tower over him, if only by a small distance.

“I want to go to Starfleet. Starfleet Academy, on Earth. Starfleet Medical, to be more precise.” Her words came out in an awkward jumble, and her pale cheeks pinkened. It was out in the open now, but she didn’t feel any better yet. The little girl inside of her wanted desperately to make her father happy, and based on conversations they’d had before, she knew that this piece of news was the last thing to make him happy.

She could see as well as sense that he was not well pleased with the idea, just as she had suspected. Turning his head away to gaze off at another point in the room, he waited for several long moments before his reply. “Starfleet, Nora? I had thought that we agreed that the University of Betazed would be a better place for you to start. They have a premiere program in psychology, and it would look remarkable on your credentials no matter where you went after that.”

“Yes, I know, Father,” she quietly agreed. It was true that the University of Betazed had a well-respected program and faculty, but it was not what she wanted. Now she only needed to explain for her father’s benefit why that was. “I have thought very hard about this. I love Betazed. It is my home, and I really do love everything about it. But I’m ready…” Why were words failing her when she needed them the most? “I’m ready to leave, Father. I’m ready to see more of the galaxy for myself. Starfleet will give me that opportunity, allow me to meet more people, to help more people.”

Bron’s (NPC) been giving you ideas. Tal returned to communicating telepathically, unfolding his long frame from the chair and striding across the room, his back to Nora as he approached the mantle on the far wall. He’s told you about his adventures in Starfleet and now you think you want those for yourself. But you know, Nora, how Bron is prone to exaggeration. Besides, you’re not like your brother. I love all my children, but you, my girl, are far steadier than he is. Adventure, excitement and, most importantly, danger is all that Bron craves, wreckless as he is sometimes. That is not for you.

Something unhinged inside of Nora. This is precisely what she had expected—her father telling her what it was she wanted. But she was not a child anymore, and she was more than ready to begin making up her own mind. Why not? she demanded, following him across the room. Why couldn’t that be for me too?

If he was surprised by her sudden defiance, it didn't show. Because it isn’t. Tal would say no more, his posture stiffening. From her position a few short feet away from him, Nora folded her arms across her chest. “You’re right, at least in part,” she finally sighed, and her sudden agreement made him regard her with something bordering on suspicion. “Those things aren’t for me, but only because they’re not all that I want. I do want some adventure and excitement, but more than that, I want to help people. You know that. It may sound trite, but it’s what I want to do. It’s what I’ve been raised to do.”

“If you want to help others, you could start by joining your mother and myself in a more official capacity,” her father responded quietly but earnestly, returning to a longstanding and ongoing argument.

“I could,” Nora nodded, a ghost of a smile at her lips. “I always loved traveling with you and Mother, and I was always so proud to see you at work, doing your best to promote peace and justice throughout the galaxy,” she said a little wistfully, nostalgia coloring her voice. “But it’s… Well, it’s not for me. It’s not what I want. I’m not ready for that sort of responsibility, and I’m rather inexperienced in the world of diplomacy and ambassadorship and the like.”

Stepping even closer, Nora placed her hand on her father’s arm, urging him to look at her in the eyes. As his dark eyes peered into hers, she could see that he was torn, caught between wanting her to do what he thought best and wanting her to be happy in a life of her choosing. You would be wonderful, you know. Truly you would, Nora.

Nora smiled at him, touched by his sincerity, but she remained unmoved. Thank you, Father. But it’s—

Not what you want, I know, I know. Sighing, Tal looked away again, but he did not pull his arm from his daughter’s gentle grasp. Well, far be it from me to keep you from doing what you think will make you happy.

Her eyes going wide, Nora almost didn’t believe her ears. She had hoped that her father would eventually come around to the idea of her joining Starfleet, but she had never expected it to happen so quickly. Starfleet is a noble organization, after all, he continued, returning his gaze to hers again. They’ll give you an adequate enough education in psychology.

Adequate, indeed, Nora returned with a smile. “Thank you, Father, for understanding. Thank you so much.” Suddenly overwhelmed by her emotions, she all but threw herself into his arms. She was excited, exhilarated even, but she was also nervous and scared and utterly unsure of where life was about to take her. It was a heady, wonderful feeling, and she was positively elated that she had her father’s approval now as well.

“I suppose you’ve already told your mother,” Tal said drily once Nora pulled away again, looking down at her with his eyebrow raised once again.

“Well…”

“I thought as much. I had wondered why she was avoiding me so studiously this morning.” Nora had the good grace to look sheepish. She was not at all surprised that her mother had made herself scarce. There was little if anything that her parents could keep from in each other. Renora Zeral (NPC) was by far and away the more understanding parent, and Nora had naturally sought her out first not only to tell her about her decision, but to ask for her advice for breaking the news to her father and eldest brother.

“Well then, you had best run and find her now. Tell her that your ogre of a father didn’t eat you alive after all.”

Nora couldn’t help but laugh at that. You’re no ogre, Father. You are an absolutely dear, and I love you for it.

An absolute dear, am I? Stooping down impulsively to press a kiss on top of Nora’s head, he turned away immediately after and returned to his desk. I’m no such thing and you know it. Now do see yourself out. I have work to do here. We’ll talk more about it tonight when Soren (NPC) gets home.

That didn’t bode particularly well, seeing as Soren shared their father’s way of thinking and wanted Nora to stay on Betazed for her education. There was a chance that the argument would be renewed again then, but Nora did not let it bother her overly much. She had already won the war and she knew it. Hurrying from the room and feeling victorious, she went in search of her wayward mother to tell her the news.
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A