Tournneau - Leaving the Oberon

Posts regarding your character's life before joining the USS Malinche

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Tournneau
Senior Staff

Tournneau - Leaving the Oberon

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:07 am

ON:

<<USS Oberon - NCC-80103 - Luna-class Exploration Vessel. Engineering Compartment.>>
<<9 Mar 2391 Stardate 68185.3 1602 Hrs. 40ly from DS4>>

Just two more calibrations, Derek reminded himself as he monitored the plasma harmonics of the main reactor. It was just past the end of the Beta shift and his relief was already on duty, but Derek didn’t like leaving the job undone. It always irked him when Alpha shift would leave him a pile of work that they were supposed to have done, so he didn’t want to keep the tradition going for the night shift. He carefully adjusted the nacelle plasma relay aperture to the proper diameter, and checked to make sure that the harmonics stabilized. He tossed his PADD into his toolbox, walked out of the primary alcove and headed towards the service elevator.

He looked around the engineering bay at his fellow officers - everyone seemed to have a little spring in their step and extra enthusiasm in their interactions. The Oberon had finished all of her slated surveys and was nearing the end of its three-year mission. She was making for her final destination of Deep Space Four at an efficiency cruise velocity, Warp 7. As long as they didn’t stop at too many points of interest along the way, they would reach home within the month.

Only the coolant pressure valve to inspect, and I’m outta here! he mused to himself. He had the holodeck reserved at 1800, and he wanted to make sure that he had enough time to shower, change, and unwind a little beforehand. He was really looking forward to it - he had selected the next installment in the newly programmed Poirot series of holonovels that had been transmitted to them about a month ago.

Captain Valek(NPC) strode into Engineering briskly, straight, and tall; only to come to an almost mechanical stop just inside it’s broad main entranceway. The crewman at the nearest station snapped to attention quickly. The Captain nodded in response, but his eyes passed over him to search the voluminous compartment for another, spotting the man as he rose toward the second level aboard a lift.

He lurched forward with a wide gait, “Lieutenant Tournneau,” his voice was monotone and just loud enough to be heard over the room’s ambient noise.

Derek paused the lift and looked down at the Engineering deck. The Captain was standing at the foot of the lift, his expression serious, even for a Vulcan. Derek knew better than to shout across the room at Valek - it would be “most uncivilized.” He reversed the lift and pulled his uniform jacket taught. The Captain’s gaze followed him as he descended. It’s like I can hear his eyes watching me, Derek thought. Even though he knew a Vulcan had to touch him to share his thoughts, he secretly suspected that Valek was capable of doing so from a distance. He always seemed to be one move ahead. Derek reached the deck, raised the safety bar, and stepped forward.

Valek clasped his hands behind his back and watched with a raised brow as the Engineer approached. He did not know the man well but had followed his development with detached interest for some time. This was a man of skill, of natural talent, even; but he was also very Human - not so much a flaw in the Captain’s eyes as it was a handicap. Regardless, he had shown great promise. “Walk with me, Lieutenant.” He turned abruptly and began a slow pace back toward the main entrance.

The engineer’s mate gave Derek an inquisitive look as the Captain made his way out of the compartment. Derek just frowned and shrugged, and walked quickly to follow the Captain into the corridor. He felt the other crewmates watching him as he departed.

“I understand that you - feel - that you are prepared to advance in your career,” Valek said before he stopped and turned to face Derek. “Is that correct?”

Derek paused and tried to hide a slight grimace - he knew this was coming, but he was hoping to address it while the ship was being resupplied. He wasn’t dissatisfied with his work on the Oberon, but he was growing a bit restless with the position. He had been checking available postings on the Starfleet database and had been informally asking some friends on other ships about openings, but he didn’t expect to be confronted about it - certainly not by the Captain in public. He wanted to be very careful about how he responded, but he also knew that Valek appreciated directness rather than the human “predilection” to beat about the bush.

“Er, yes, that is correct, sir. That’s not to say that I haven’t had the opportunity to learn and grow aboard the Oberon, but I believe I am ready for a role change, to head my own department.” Derek’s face remained impassive, but internally was sweating bullets.

Valek didn’t respond at first, he merely stared at the Lieutenant as if in a contemplative trance. His face reanimated after a long tense pause with both brows raised.

“I am inclined to agree Lieutenant, your skill is adequate and your time in service has passed the minimum required for that job.” The Vulcan seemed to frown. “Your absence would diminish efficiency here but I would be remiss to retain you.”

He paused to draw a PADD from behind his back and glanced down at it before he handed it to Derek.

“The Department of Personnel has launched an inquiry for qualified officers to head Engineering aboard the Malinche. I believe you to be qualified.”

Derek tried his hardest not to crack a smile, but he couldn’t help but let the corners of his mouth creep upwards. He had seen the post opening for the Malinche, but he didn’t expect to make it past the first round. Now, here was his Captain very nearly handing him the post. He was certainly more than qualified for the position, but it was an Engineer’s dream - everyone would be clamoring for the job - three disparate warp drives, all fighting to work in harmony. It was equal parts daunting and exhilarating.

He had also considered the fact that the Malinche was - regardless of whatever politically correct label Starfleet gave it - a warship. His time spent at war was the whole reason he left Starfleet for over nine years; although, it was the violent loss of his freighter and his wife, who was the captain, that catalysed his return to Starfleet. When he returned he had made his first passion, engineering, his focus for the past six years. While he had avoided a combat posting three years ago, it seemed now that the only way to avoid making a lateral career move was to take a step back in history.

He took the PADD and scrolled through it, trying to look as if he was reading this information for the first time.

“Captain, I’m quite flattered that you would consider me to be ready for such a position. I’m certainly eager to put my skills to the test with the Prometheus-class configuration. It’s a system that every engineer has pored over at some point.” He paused, inhaling sharply and cocking his head to the side.

“Might I ask, sir, how did you know I was interested in making a change? I certainly tried to be discreet in my inquiries.” Derek didn’t know how the Captain felt- well, perhaps thought would be more accurate. On the one hand, here he was handing him the posting of a lifetime. On the other hand, here he was catching Derek’s hand in the cookie jar.

“Logic, Lieutenant,” Valek responded with a brow raised. “It is my experience that ambitious young officers rarely care to stay in one place for long. Your time here, learning and growing, was always finite.” The Captain turned to leave but stopped and glanced back toward Derek to study him. “I expect that you will continue to perform efficiently until we reach port, Lieutenant.”

Derek quickly but softly put his toolkit on the deck and drew himself to full attention for perhaps the third time on this three year mission. He gave the Captain the best military salute he had rendered since his first year at the Academy.

“Yes, sir!” he exclaimed. He waited for the Captain to return the salute and turn back down the corridor before he dropped his arm.

As the Captain walked back to the bridge, Derek looked down at the PADD in his hand. A double promotion, in his hand. His hand began to shake. All of the emotions that Derek strained to hold back in front of Valek started to come forward. It’s a good thing he’s not an empath, or he’d probably run back here and snatch this out of my hand, Derek chided himself. His brain was racing; he started to mentally recall the blueprints and schematics of the mighty Prometheus-class, his mind’s eye seeing the complex warp integrals flash by. He turned, PADD still in front of him, to return to his cabin when his foot hit something solid, nearly tripping him.

His toolkit, that he had left on the deck.

His toolkit, that he was using to perform a maintainance task. A task which he had yet to complete.

Derek smiled to himself, but with a bit of chagrin. Sure can’t start making stupid mistakes now, he thought to himself as he shook his head and picked up his toolkit. He plopped the new datapad next to the one in his kit, and walked back down the corridor to Engineering.

When he entered the compartment, everyone stopped and looked at him. The engineer’s mate, a young ensign, was at the diagnostic panel near the door and spoke up first.

“So, Derek, what’d the old man say?”

Derek grinned and shook his head.

“Oh, nothing really. Just wanted an update on the crystal integrity.” He could tell from the skeptical glances that the crew wasn’t buying it, but he tried to act casual and brush it off. “Anyway, still have to take a look at that coolant valve before I go.”

“That’s OK sir, you’ve been here all day. I can do that for you.”

Derek smiled again. “Thanks, but no thanks.” He looked down again at the PADD in his toolkit. “It’s all in a day’s work.” The ensign raised his eyebrows and shrugged, and turned back to his station. The rest of the crew did the same, but there were a few whispers as Derek walked back to the service lift. He looked at the core of the Oberon, its plasma swirling in the reaction chamber. Well my friend, he projected to the core, we’ve been through a lot, but it’s time to part ways. He came up and brushed his hand on the polished wooden railing. It’s time to move forward. It’s time to step back.

OFF

A Joint Post written by:

Lt. Derek Tournneau
Asst. Chief Engineer
USS Oberon - NCC-80103

And

Captain Valek(NPC)
Played by:
Lieutenant Tojal Varrat
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche - NCC-38997-A
Last edited by Tournneau on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant Commander Derek Tournneau
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A