Posts regarding your character's life before joining the USS Malinche

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Varrat
Senior Staff

Varrat - Family Matters

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:07 pm

<<Starbase Deep Space Nine – Nor Class Station. Habitation Ring.>>
<<1 Week prior to Mission 22 Start>>

It was good while it lasted Lieutenant Tojal Varrat lamented with a long sigh, his eyes scanned the ceiling of the Turbolift as it whisked him from the upper docking pylon to the habitation ring. The dark bronze surface of the cage should have been pleasing to him, it was his people's own design after all but then he had never cared much for Cardassian engineering. It was functional to be sure but it was also hard on the eyes, too many hard lines.

The lift came to a stop and he strode out it's open door lazily, shifting balance from foot to foot in a labored fashion as he walked. He hadn't wanted to leave Bajor, it was Autumn there now, arguably the prettiest season on the planet; it was hard to judge when every season had something refreshing to offer. But it was over, his three week vacation 'home'. He had needed it, to recharge his capacitors and with only one week to go before he had to report aboard the USS Malinche he hoped that it had been enough.

He rounded the corner ahead and came to an abrupt stop. There in the dimly lit corridor standing just in front of his temporary quarters was a familiar face. The Cardassian woman wore the suit of a powerful person, broad shoulders and hard lines but tightened at the waist to accentuate her delicate form. She stood tall with chin elevated a little above level and she stared down her nose at him with scrutinous eyes. Damn. “Hello Mother,” Tojal said as he slowly approached her. “I wasn't expecting you.”

Vresa Varrat's sharp eyes, a vivid, nearly crystalline blue, remained fixed on her son, but no smile of greeting or welcome marred the straight line of her lips. “Ah, at last my beloved son returns,” she said, her voice naturally powerful but carefully controlled. “I suppose you’ve been roaming about Bajor again. A pity you couldn’t find the time to roam about your own home planet as well. It might have saved me the trip. Well?” She raised one black brow when her son seemed uninclined to do little more than stare back at her. “Come and greet your mother.”

Tojal stopped just short of his mother as the door do his quarters slid open, he studied her for a moment gave her a quick peck on her cheek then strode through the open door. He tossed his bag onto the nearby bed and started for the replicator. He could feel her eyes on his back, she was waiting in the doorway. “Don't just stand there,” he said as he took a freshly replicated glass of water from the wall-mounted machine.

Vresa’s sigh as she entered the quarters was quiet, but by no means meant to go unheard. She all but oozed regal disdain as she pointedly surveyed the quarters. “How…quaint. The Federation has certainly left its mark on Terok Nor.” Her sharp gaze once again fixated on her son. “You look well enough. I trust that you’ve been in good enough health. Not,” she added before giving him a chance to respond, “that I would have heard one way or another. Your work, such as it is, keeps you from speaking with your own mother, I suppose.”

Terok Nor? This hasn't been a Cardassian station in almost twenty years. Tojal rolled his eyes before gulping down the rest of his water. He proceeded to start unpacking his bag. “I'm well enough.” An uneasy silence hung in the air as she continued to stare at him, he finished his unpacking before glancing back her way. “What do you want?”

Eyes narrowing, Vresa’s chin rose even higher. “I have come to see my son, who has neglected to visit his home, to visit his own mother, for these five years at least.” She shook her head slowly. “And so it falls to me to leave my home and my work, to track you to Bajor”—a thread of distaste marred the word—“or risk waiting another five years for my child’s return. It is most inconvenient, but a price well worth paying for any mother who loves her son, however…misguided that son may be.”

He let out a lengthy sigh and started for the room's only couch. “Please,” he said while gesturing for her to sit. I will play your game Mother but tread carefully.

Vresa did so with the grace of a queen, or at least the grace of a woman who knew she was getting her way. Her movements were as controlled as her emotions, and yet there was a certain pride, a certain dignified elegance in the way she carefully arranged herself on the far end of the couch.

He waited for her to seat herself before doing the same, “I was on a deep space assignment and was out of contact with everyone, not just you and aside from that we didn't part on the best of terms last we saw each other but we are together now, let us make the most of it.”

“I fully intend to,” his mother confirmed with a nod. “So, you have seen more of the galaxy. I hope it was an enlightening journey.” Vresa did not wait for him to agree or disagree, but moved straight on to her next thought. “Your sister, I’m sure you will be glad to hear, is well. Her husband continues to excel in his work, though—between you and me—he is not half so gifted as you, nor half so successful as you could be.”

“Yes, that is good news. You will say hello to her for me when you return home,” Tojal replied without much interest. He had never been close to his sister, Vrielle and had not spoken to her for many years. “My posting aboard the Saratoga was agreeable, it was interesting to visit such distant places, two hundred light years away before we turned back. I think it is unfortunate that such missions are so rare for our people... But maybe that will change.”

Vresa tilted her head ever so slightly to the side. “Perhaps,” she allowed, those keen blue eyes gleaming as she regarded her son appraisingly. “It is unlikely, though. To my great disappointment, I fear that we have too few leaders with…vision. With the right person though, who has the right connections, it would be possible to help our people turn to the sort of noble exploration missions you are so excessively fond of.” She gave a put-upon sigh. “I, unfortunately, have quite enough to attend to as it is. But you… Yes, I think you might have considerable success, if you would only apply yourself.”

“You will never give up will you?” Tojal asked as his jaw tensed. He couldn't deny that she was probably right but he wasn't about to go back to Cardassia, not for her. He might consider it in the future but that would be decades away, he was happy in Starfleet. “I was promoted, assigned to a new vessel where in one week I will take on the duties of a First Physician. I will have my own department and be a senior officer. You would have me throw it all away?”

“What is there to throw away?” Vresa exclaimed, showing the first burst of true emotion since their conversation, such as it was, had begun. “What pride is there in being just another officer on another Federation starship? You are a Cardassian. You are a Varrat—and more importantly, you are a Virik. My father would turn over in his grave were he to learn of his grandson’s squandered potential. I cannot imagine the shame your father would feel if he still lived.”

“Yes- I am a Cardassian- Mother,” Tojal's voice was almost a growl. He stood tall and straightened his uniform, “And I care about Cardassia than you realize but you know nothing of this uniform or what it stands for. The truth is that everything I do, I do for Cardassia- even if you cannot see it and I care little how that makes you, or my Father feel.”

If Vresa’s exterior had seemed icy before, it was positively glacial now. Her back ramrod straight, she surged to her feet, pacing the length of the room once, then twice, and finally a third time before drawing to a halt before the viewport. When she finally spoke, she did so with her back to him. “You have made your point. I am willing to concede that you are free to make your own choices, to act as you see fit. But I implore you… Come home to Cardassia, Tojal. Whatever you believe, whatever fantasy you have built up in your head, that is where your path truly leads. I only hope you realize it before it’s too late.”

“Don't wait for it,” he replied in a low voice. He moved to the door and opened it, “If you thought it was too long since our last meeting then this will seem like an eternity." His gaze was hard and unyielding, "if there is nothing else...”

Whirling around, Vresa’s cold gaze met her son’s from across the room. A long, charged moment passed, and the silence seemed to crackle around them. “I see now it was fortunate your father didn’t live to see this day. I don’t know if he could bear to live with the shame of a son like you.”

Another moment, and suddenly the anger that had formerly tensed her features was gone, leaving behind the same cool, regal demeanor as before. “You know where to find me if you come to your senses.” Without another word, and certainly without a goodbye, Vresa strode from the room.

Tojal closed the door but stood there numb for several seconds, then like a tidal wave, the anger overtook him and he reached for the nearest object. The glass vase exploded into shimmering multi-colored debris against the far bulkhead rending the flowers within and soaking the floor with water. He pulled in thick droughts of air and leaned against the door with his forearm. He was going to need a drink.

A Joint Post written by:

Lieutenant Tojal Varrat
Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche - NCC-38997-A

and

Vresa Varrat (NPC)
played by:
Commander Nora Zeral
Executive Officer
USS Malinche - NCC-38977-A