Broken Dreams

Posts regarding your character's life before joining the USS Malinche

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Broken Dreams

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:12 am

OFF: Well, let's see what I can remember of this from the old forum...*sigh* stupid server

ON:

<<USS Cheyenne, Bridge, 1300 hours, almost 2 years ago>>

Isabel was on the bridge, currently checking on a few systems malfunctions that had been reported. Recently the Cheyenne had found a supposedly abandoned ship and were preparing to send an away team over. Personally, Isabel didn't like the situation...something just didn't feel right. For the past hour she had been running through different scenarios in her head, calculating possibilities.

Looking up for a moment, she noticed Derek(NPC), her husband, walking over to her. Glancing down at her console, he grinned, "Always prepared, aren't you?"

"Better to be safe than sorry. I just want to be sure that I have some plans."

"I'm really rather sure it's just an abandoned ship. By the looks of it, they were damaged during battle and the crew probably took the escape pods." He hesitated for a moment, then continued, "The away team is leaving in fifteen minutes, I'll be going over."

Isabel stopped, looking up at him. She knew it was his job, but it worried her when he left...especially this time - she had a very bad feeling about it. "Derek....please...I have an awful feeling about this."

With his hand, he gently tilted her head to look in her eyes and spoke softly to her, "It's my job Isabel. It's why I'm here on this ship. I've always come back before and I plan to this time too. I'll come back to you Isabel, I promise."

She nodded, still having a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach. "Just be careful Derek."

He smiled at her, as the announcement came that it was time for him to leave. He squeezed her hand gently, "I love you Isabel, I'll be back before you know it."

Working up a smile, she looked back into his eyes, "I love you too."

Her eyes followed him off the bridge until he disappeared in the turbolift. Turning back to her console, Isabel tried to concentrate on her work, but it was difficult. Somehow she knew nothing would be the same again.

OFF: To be continued later....
Last edited by Kersare on Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A

Kersare
Forum Goddess

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:13 am

<<USS Cheyenne, Engineering, 1415, almost 2 years ago>>

Soon after Derek(NPC) left, the Chief Engineering Officer, Lieutenant Commander Ryan Davis(NPC) had come to relieve her. After showing him the plans she had come up with, he sent her down to Lieutenant Zachary Derlina(NPC). Apparently some of the multi-phasic capacitive relays had shorted and the EPS conduits needed repair, and the engineering department was short staffed. Isabel didn't mind in the least; she enjoyed engineering.

Zachary nudged her, smiling, "How are you coming there? I'm about done with this one."

Making a few quick adjustments, she looked back over at him, "All finished. You know, I do about as well at this as you; if you're not careful, I'll get your job." Isabel grinned as she put the panel back on.

"But who would get us out of trouble when we ended up engaged with 3 enemy vessels? You're the one that always has about five back-up plans. Then I get stuck with repairing the damage your ideas cause."

"I'm here, helping you, aren't I?"

"This time. Last time I had to put five decks back together. Not to mention the time I had to put engineering back together piece by piece when your outstanding plan failed and the Sereli boarded the ship, intent on destroying my department."

She shook her head, getting to her feet, "Alright, alright. So the plans don't always work. Why don't we go repair those EPS conduits? What deck did you say they were on? Deck 9?"

"Yep, deck 9, let's-"

"Davis to Kersare. Report to the bridge immediately," the Chief Engineering Officer voice stated.

Looking at the engineering officer apologetically, she turned towards the turbolift, "Sorry Zach, looks like I need to go. I'll help you later if you still need it."

<<Bridge, 1432>>

As Isabel walked onto the bridge, there was a silence. At least, that's what it seemed like to her. Looking around uneasily, she headed over to Ryan.

Quietly she spoke to him, "What is it? And did it just get rather quiet here, or is it just my imagination." Isabel thought she noticed something in his eyes, a sadness almost, or pity...but why...

Sighing slightly, he put his hand on her shoulder, "Report to the captain's ready room, Captain Lareni(NPC) is waiting for you."

She wasn't just imagining it, something was wrong. Very wrong. Deep down she already knew what it was, but Isabel couldn't accept it until she heard it. Steeling herself, she nodded and went across the bridge to the captain's ready room.

Jasen Lareni was standing behind his desk, his back to her. His arms were folded across his chest, sighing and turning to face Isabel as she walked in, "Have a seat Lieutenant."

Watching him silently, Isabel sat in the nearest chair. She bit her lip, knowing what was about to come, but still not wanting to believe it.

Jasen sat down then, looking up at her briefly before continuing, "Isabel, there's no easy way to say this. Derek is gone." He paused to let the words sink in.

Isabel's mind raced. "Gone?" For a moment, her heart dared to hope that her husband was still alive, somewhere. It was a foolish hope, she knew, but it was all she had.

"He's not coming back, Isabel. I'm sorry. As you know, he went with the away team to the abandoned vessel. From what the rest of the away team reports, they were ambushed by the Borg. Derek stayed back, trying to fight them off so the rest of the team could escape. Unfortunately, one of the Borg was able to get him. Commander Trel(NPC) saw that he couldn't be saved and turned to shoot him so he wouldn't be taken into the collective. The remainder of the team beamed back to the Cheyenne and informed me of what happened."

Trying to keep control over her emotions, Isabel blinked back tears as she spoke, "The Borg? How could they be there? We haven't seen a Borg Cube or Sphere anywhere near here. Are you sure he's dead? He could've survived..."

"I'm not sure how they Borg came to be there, but safe to assume that where there are a few, more are bound to show up. We're heading back to report the incident." Jasen moved around the desk to sit next to her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I'm sorry Isabel, but there's no way he survived. If you'd like time off from your duties, I'm sure that can be arranged."

Shaking her head slightly, Isabel stood up and turned to leave. "I don't think that will be necessary. Thank you captain."

From the ready room, Isabel headed straight for the turbolift. The bridge crew tried not to stare, but watched her out of the corner of their eyes, although Isabel barely noticed. Not caring where she went, she got off the turbolift shortly, wandering along the corridors.

Her mind was blank, numb. Turning to her left, she saw the quarters she and her husband shared. It was then that the tears came, flowing down her cheeks like a river. Isabel hurried into her quarters, not wanting anyone to see her cry.

Stepping into the room didn't help. She had always prided herself on being a strong person, but the sight of Derek's things was too much for her. Isabel collapsed on the floor, her body racked with sobs. The man that she loved, that she wanted to spend her life with was gone. He would never again return to her, never hold her and reassure her that all was well. She was alone.
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A