Blood and Iron

Posts for the USS Malinche's shoreleaves

Moderators: Tournneau, Korath, Kersare

Barrett
Senior Staff

Post by Barrett »

[[USS Malinche]]
[Intelligence Breifing Room, 1445, Day 3]

Jason considered himself to be a very patient man; but even he had his limits. And Zarrian (NPC) was fast approaching going over those limits. He was darn close to taking a visit to see the new doc in sickbay if he didn't change his attitude.

Then again, Jason reminded himself that he wouldn't always have to be working with him...that most of the time he would be Hawkins problem. That thought brought a small smile to his face, although he would have loved to see Zarrian interact with Amanda or better yet Mark.

"Are you even listening to me anymore?"

Jason looked up from the PADD that he was holding, resisting the urge to throw it at Zarrian's head. Not that it would have mattered, he was well aware of Zarrian's considerable combat training.

"Look, we have been at this awhile don't you think that we should take a break."

"No."

Jason sighed.

"You don't like me do you?" Zarrian asked.

The question took Jason aback for a breif moment, although he quickly composed himself.

"You're not making the best impression, you have to be the most annoying Maran that I have ever met."

Zarrian rolled his eyes, clearly unhappy with Jason's answer. At least Jason had been honest.

"I'd say you were the most annoying human that I have ever met but that would have been a grave understatement. Let me get one thing clear, I'm not here to make friends or to place nice. I am here to do a job and I will do that job to the best of my ability."

Jason nodded, fighting back the urge to give Zarrian a piece of his own mind. He knew that wouldn't really do him any good or get thier job accomplished faster but at least he would feel better then. Clamping down on that urge he forced his mind back into focus so that they could continue working.

OFF:
Lieutenant Commander Jason Barrett
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Sovereign
Senior Staff

Post by Sovereign »

<<Starbase 259, Courtroom, 1345, Day 3>>

Now she really hated court martials. They were best described as a bloodless war the way things were going. And the last time she checked, these people were suppose to hate wars... But the lawyers are thriving on it. Attack to defence, counter-attack to counter-defence. Not only did it make someone's head spin had they not been properly paying attention, in which Yrel had been earlier on, but it gave a headache to the ones that followed everything as it proceeded.

Now, as her time on the stand was at all likelihood growing closer, she really didn't have any prejudice towards either side, both the representing lawyers, or the actualy parties themselves. She was genuinely thinking that perhaps Jaran isnt fully accountable for his actions, in one fashion or another, and maybe punishment is the wrong priority.

One thing for sure, she wasn't going to be the greatest witness for the prosecution will a attitude like that. Even if she thought the defence was a complete and utter asshole. Humanitarian would not be in this guys best interest for finding a second job. There was a lot of proverbial bullshit lying on the floor, and the defence the primary source for shitting it all out...and not from his ass.

Trying to ignore the knot stirring in her stomach, alongside the feeling that her age was meaning pretty much nothing in this new life of hers, while the recess finished and the court martial...the bloodless war, continued.
Lieutenant Yrel Sovereign
Chief Science Officer
& Second Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B
Kersare
Forum Goddess

Post by Kersare »

<<Starbase 259, Courtroom, 1352, Day 3>>

Upon being dismissed from the stand, Isabel stood and headed back to her seat in the audience. Her eyes briefly met Jaran's, though she avoided the gaze of either attorney.

Finally she arrived back at her seat, noticing that several other crewmembers were in the near vicinty - Cameron, Jack, and Yrel, who was sitting beside her. Isabel nodded at each, then turned her gaze forward.

The nerve of the attornies' questioning, and the judge allowing it made her blood boil, though she remained calm on the surface. Regardless of what happened, she was still Captain and needed to maintain composure.

Overall, Isabel didn't feel she overly helped nor hurt either side. She'd done her best to give succinct responses whenever possible, sticking to the facts. This was a trial, and she wasn't going to give testimony to things she wasn't sure of. On the other hand, she'd had to defend herself against that defense attorney's questions, which she wasn't happy about it. However, it was necessary; Isabel couldn't just let him smear her good name, after all.

It was over now though, for her anyway. Most likely Yrel or Cameron would be called next - they'd had the most interaction with Jaran, and Yrel had been in charge when the whole situation took place. Jack could get called due to the whole fiasco in the station's detention facility.

Finally it seemed they were ready to call the next witness. Isabel looked up, interested to find out who would be next.
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Hawkins
Senior Staff

Post by Hawkins »

<Courtroom, Starbase 259, MD03, 1353>

Jack had just watched Captain Kersare take a seat a couple of rows in front of him, he could tell that the somewhat invasive line of questioning had gotten to her, but as far as the battle between the prosecution and the defense that round had seemed to be a draw. But then the defense didn?t need to play for the win, they just needed to play for the draw, to provide that reasonable doubt that would get Jaran off.

But Jack still wasn?t sure how he felt about that, and so far the trial hadn?t helped to clarify his opinion, yes what Jaran did was a terrible and innocent people had died, but Jack couldn?t shake the memory of Jaran standing over him with a phaser, he glanced over at the accused briefly, his eyes staring into the middle distance.

The fact was Jaran could have easily killed him and escaped, it wasn?t like anyone would have thought any less of him, but he didn?t, he spared Jacks life and chose to face trial, this fact caused Jack some doubt over the open and shut case the prosecution was trying to sell.

To be honest if he was called to the stand he had no idea what he would say or how he would feel, he was just glad that, ultimately, the decision whether to find Jaran guilty or not, didn?t rest with him?
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B
Peters
Senior Staff

Post by Peters »

ON: <Gymnasium, Starbase 259, Day 3, 1229 hours>

The ball arched through the air and dropped towards the hoop. Peters watched it as it hit the backboard, then clanged off the rim and bounced to the floor of the court. He smirked and told the other man, "That would be E. I win."

"Best two out of three? You only won by one letter," Jakob Sinter (NPC) replied with a grin. He was the Chief Engineer of the USS Horatio, a survey vessel that was docked at the Starbase for resupply between missions. Peters had found him shooting free throws and challenged him to a game of Horse.

During the game they'd talked a lot about the latest engineering breakthroughs and the newest engineers to end up getting promoted to Chief. Peters had even been amused to learn that he'd become known as the Replacement Engineer, owing to his original career path in the Science fields and his tendency to get posted to positions where the previous Chief had either been killed or retired.

"Yeah, but if I agree to best of two out of three, you might win. If I leave it at just one, I win. Hrm...." Peters grinned mischievously. Sinter rolled his eyes and tossed the ball sideways at him. Peters caught it and tossed it at the basket. It clanged off and bounced away at an angle. "Case in point."

"Like you have anything better to do. Besides... I still want to hear about that trick with the communicator and knocking out a security field."

"well, in that case," Peters began as he jogged over to grab the ball, "You're on." He tossed the ball to Sinter. "Your turn to start."

Half an hour later it was once again tied at S as Peters took his shot. He let the ball go and watched as it curved and bounced off the front of the rim.

"Best three out of five?" he asked as Sinter began laughing.

OFF:
Tony
AKA
Lieutenant Commander Todd Peters
Chief Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Barrett
Senior Staff

Post by Barrett »

[[USS Malinche]]
[Intelligence Breifing Room, 1530, Day 3]

Jason cracked his neck, wishing for the close to tenth time that he had actually listened to Adam (NPC) and tried to get some sleep. So far they had waded through a good deal of information, although Jason was sure that there was more to go.

"What exactly are we supposed to tell Jack?" Jason asked, putting down his PADD and looking at Zarrian (PNCP), who had been pacing about the room rather annoyingly.

"The truth."

"The intelligence verision of the truth or the actual truth?"

Zarrian shot him a rather annoyed look.

"And what do you mean by that?"

"The fact that you intelligence types like to conviently leave out certain parts of the story and don't tell me thats not true because I have known enough of you to know that it is."

"You certainly aren't a fan of the intelligence business," Zarrian snorted, stopping to finally take a seat. "I find all that rather interesting."

"I don't really care," Jason shrugged.

He didn't really care about the opinion that Zarrian had of him for that matter either. In fact the person who's opinion he did vlaue was currently not speaking to him, that thought brought fresh surge of guilt washing through Jason. He only hoped that he could explain to Adam why he had to do what he had to do, a feat that was probably easier said then done.

"I assumed you wouldn't, you seem to care very little about the opinions of others, they pretty much made that clear in your psychological profile."

Jason resisted the urge to leap across the table and punch Zarrian in the face and then send him down to thier new doc with multiple traumatic injuries. Part of him knew that Zarrian as just gaging his response, but the other part of him wanted nothing more then to wipe that smug look off his face.

"Let's just get back to the task at hand, shall we."

Jason let an icey tone creep into his voice, one that was quickly noticed by Zarrian, who arched eyebrow in response.

"Alright, well Mr. Hawkins needs to be informed of several things..."

"Such as?" Jason asked, leaning forward.

"That both our poeple have had contact with an alien race, most likely extra-galatical in orgin. This race appears to have hostile intent, they appear to have already attacked a Maran fleet some 5 yaers aogo."

"I don't remeber hearing about that," Jason said.

"You wouldn't have until now you had no reason to know about it. At any rate Omega was created to ascertain just how large of a threat these invaders may be and the best way to combat that threat."

"What about the workd that me and Adam will be doing?"

"You will be working closely with Mr. Hawkins; he has an uncanny ability to analyze data and you, as pointed out before have a knack for alien technology. You two are going to be our primary source for the information about the craft currently locked up on Maran."

"What if he says no?"

"He won't."

"And how do you know that?"

"I just do."

OFF:
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Hunt
Senior Staff

Post by Hunt »

ON:

<<Starbase 259, 1315, Day 3>>

Mason was astonished by the complexity of the base. He had been on many but nothing so open and full of activity. He started to walk down towards a concession stand that had been selling gourmet wraps with tropical juices. He was a bit hungry so he ordered a grilled chicken caesar wrap with an orange twist.

"Thank you." Replied Mason scarfing down the wrap and walking further down past some shops that caught his eye. Although he bought paintings with the skipper before this shop had paintings that were unique and would look great in his office and his cabin.

One had a picture of the Prometheus class surrounded by a beam of glowing light and stars with two suns in the distance. The shop had many other things in it little trinkets glass figurines etc. So he eventually got bored and moved onto another shop where he saw Britny(NPC) the skipper's yeoman doing some shopping.

"Well, well, funny meeting you here. Find anything interesting?" asked Mason.

Britny smiled, "Yes, in the first shop I found this painting, windchime, and music box." She held up the items carefully to show Mason. "I thought it might be nice to do a little exploring."

He saw a similar chime, one his mother always had on the back door when he ran in from playing outside late at night. There would be a time when he would sleep and the chime would be the only thing that would help him off to sleep.

So he bought it and placed it into his bag paying the shop keeper then picking up an old fashioned tri-corder. Not many knew including his own family he infact had a passion for collectables. The price was high on the device but he didn't care and bought it anyway.

"What are you doing here, sir?" She looked at him.

"I was hoping to meet up with the Captain but from what I have been hearing she's been tied up in court all day long. So I figure I would just explore this base a little do some shopping and eat my stomach has been yearning for some real cooked food." Said Mason nibbling on some toffee he picked up just before entering the shop.

"So any plans for the day?" asked Mason.

Britny looked over at him, "Not specifically, sir. I got everything done for the Captain that I could, and she suggested I come over here. I thought I'd look around a little, then head back to the ship. And yes, from what I understand, the Captain will most likely be present for the entire trial, so you may have trouble catching her until evening."

"Well believe you me I have tried and have given up (laughing) I wonder how long it will last? I mean some of the crew have been asking about her and all I can tell them is that she is on official base business. (Shrugs) I don't know." He said.

"Any other plans during Shoreleave, sir? I heard some people talk about the Holodeck, or going to the trial, or just relaxing in their quarters til we start on our next mission," she said, looking at some fabrics. Some were good quality and the patterns were beautiful, Britny let the fabric slide between her fingers, smiling.

"I've spent to much time in my quarters since we docked and the holodecks, please, I've had my fill. I suppose I will just hang around and take in some sights and eat some of the new foods who knows I may even see about getting some for the Malinche's replicators." He said laughing.

Britny smiled, letting the fabric slip from her fingers. Too bad she didn't have latinum, though perhaps she could get the replicator to make some on the Malinche. "I've not been on the Malinche long enough to have spent much time in my quarters," she shrugged. "What do you think of the trial? Everyone seems to be talking about it..."

Mason had his reservations about the trial, although he couldn't really give an answer because of the tightness of security surrounding the trial. "To be honest I'm not sure I try not to think to much about it by doing so it gets me worried about the Captain and how she's undergoing all of that intense pressure." Said Mason.

She nodded, "I don't really know anyone involved, so I don't have a real opinion on it. How long do you think it'll be til our next mission? I've never been on one, so I'm wondering what it'll be like and when we'll start."

That was a good question, one Mason wish he had an answer for, "It shouldn't be too long. From what I understand command has issued us new orders but the Captain has to first view them and brief the senior staff. Don't worry we will be flying amongst the stars before you know it." Said Mason.

Britny smiled, "Sounds exciting. I think I'm going to take these back to the ship. Is there any message I should give the Captain if I happen to see her first?"

?Yes, tell her that her XO is keeping her chair warm.? He said laughing.

OFF: Tag Crew!!!

A JP By:

Crewman Britny Liras
Captain's Yeoman
USS Malinche, NCC-38897-B

played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B
Akios
Crewmember

Post by Akios »

[En-route to the mess hall, 1500, MD3]

The maintenance team spent the afternoon running diagnostics on the warp plasma distributor, giving Ens. Akios plenty of familiarization with Malinche's power systems.

"Controlling the output from two-and-a-half warp cores isn't exactly easy, is it?" Akios asked Ens. Drochlo (NPC) after they'd finished their day.

"Two-and-a-half?" Drochlo asked. "We don't have half a warp core. What do you mean by that?"

"Well, you've got the main warp core. Then you've got the auxiliary warp core."

"Yes, that's two. Where do you get a half?"

"The main warp core is designed to divide into two fully functional warp cores during MVA, but the auxiliary core has limited capacity. So, you could call it two-and-a-half that way."

"The auxiliary core might have limited capacity for a ship the size of hull section two, but it is fully functional and complete. There's nothing 'half' about it."

"Then you could consider them two complete warp cores, only one is designed to operate in halves."

"That makes even less sense. Mr. Akios, are you sure you attended Starfleet Academy?"

Akios snorted and clapped Drochlo on the back. "Okay, so it wasn't a very good joke. But I still think it captures the complexity of a Prometheus power distribution system. Anyway, I wanted to ask you something."

"About what?" Drochlo paused and looked up at the aurelian, who stood a good eighteen inches taller than the zakdorn.

"I'm thinking about making some modifications to our quarters--adding some personal touches here and there."

"I don't mind, as long as it doesn't involve any odd smells. What did you have in mind? Putting up picture frames or something?"

"Actually, I was thinking of adding a replicator and a small stasis unit."

"WHAT?" Drochlo stopped again. "That's an even worse joke, Mr. Akios."

"I'm not joking, Drochlo," Akios said.

"Deck 4a isn't set up to have replicators in all quarters. A replicator would cause an unacceptable power drain, and there aren't even any matter conduits in our section. What, are you thinking of running a conduit through the ventilation system?"

Akios tilted his head to one side, his crest bobbing. "Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. Maybe later, after we've got it working. I've got a workable plan, though, and I assure you it won't cause any unusual power drains and won't compromise ship's systems in any way."

"I doubt Lt. Peters would approve such a modification, even if you were right," Drochlo said.

Akios was silent for a few moments, before saying, "Actually, I wasn't planning on telling him."

It was Drochlo's turn to be silent. "Not tell him? You're planning on making a modification to our living space that would, if approval was even remotely possible, require safety reports and feasibility analyses..."

"Which would take a month or more," Akios interrupted him. "That's why I need your help. I already have safety and feasibility studies...for a Galaxy class vessel. When I was assistant engineer on the Andromeda, I made similar changes to my quarters there. I dotted every 'i' and crossed every 't'. Now, I've quietly, carefully revised those reports for application to our quarters. But, as you know, I'm nowhere near 100% on Prometheus systems. That's where you come in. You're already a systems analyst. You're already thoroughly familiar with the Prometheus class technology. I want you to look over my reports. If you see anything in them that would contraindicate my modifications, I won't go through with them."

"But if you've already done the paperwork, assuming everything's feasible, why not tell the chief?"

"For the simplest and most damning reason of all, the real reason why Peters must be left out of the equation."

"And that is?"

"If we put a replicator in our quarters, then all the junior officers on the deck will want one. Peters will either deny the request on that basis alone, or let us do it, provided we install all the others ourselves as well. I do not want to do that much extra work just to save myself a few trips to the mess hall."

"Why's this so important to you?" Drochlo asked. "You've got a drawer full of snacks, even. You got a pet tribble you aren't telling anyone about or something?"

"Look at me," Akios said, and waited while the zakdorn looked him over and then looked back up at Akios's face with a confused look. "I'm an aurelian. Note the beak, feathers, and wings? Compared to most of the crew I'm hypermetabolic. I need to eat several times a day, and being an engineer, I take a lot of those meals on the run, especially if I get called on duty in the middle of the night. To say nothing of how crowded the mess hall can be during meal times. I'm tired of cold stale replicated food, cheap packaged snacks, emergency rations and tubes of medical nutrient concentrates. I remember one time I got so hungry I tried to eat a container of that stuff they pump into the bioneural gel packs. If I have to run from my bed straight to my duty station, I'd just like to be able to get something warm and fresh in my stomach, even if it's only replicated. That's not too much to ask, is it?" Turuas'ta didn't mention that there were probably a dozen easier ways to manage it than by running an illicit replicator.

"Okay, I can see your point, but still..."

"Didn't you say that your date with Ens. Tonin (NPC) suffered due to your running out of replicated Romulan ale, and having to choose between leaving her to get more or doing without. That wouldn't happen if we had a replicator in the room..."

Drochlo stopped to consider that, but this time the aurelian didn't stop with him. The bird-man continued down the corridor and through the doors of the mess hall.

"Wait, you said you wanted to install a stasis unit too...Turu?" Realizing he was talking to himself, Ens. Drochlo hurried on to the mess hall.
Ensign Turuas'ta Akios
Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B
Saunders
Junior Staff

Post by Saunders »

[[USS Malinche]]
[Main Sickbay, 1545, Day 3]

??and I get panic attacks, big ones, it?s almost like the walls are closing in on me. Oh and my cough, did I tell you about my cough? Sometimes it feels like I?ve gargled with razor blades, and then there is?.? Thea held up her hand to stop the babbling ensign.

?I get the impression Mr Desanchez. You are suffering with what in the medical profession like to call a Somatoform disorder.? The doctor explained closing up her Tricorder and pocketing into her lab coat.

?Really Doc? That sounds bad? Should I be reli?..?

?Mr Desanchez, you are, what is referred to in laymen?s terms, a hypochondriac. I have run every scan I have at my disposal, every test I can think of. I?m one step short of calling in a Voodoo witch doctor to exorcise evil spirits. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. If anything you are the picture of physical health that we could all aspire to be.? She motioned for the man to jump down from the bio bed.

?Bout doctor I really don?t feel well, at all! I can?t sleep and there is this cough?? Thea once again silenced the man.

?Look, physically speaking there is nothing wrong with you. As such that leads me to only a couple of conclusions.

One. You like the attention that being ?ill? gains you.
Two. You are bone idle and are looking for a legitimate excuse to be relieved of duty.
Three. You are projecting some form of anxiety yourself that is manifesting in your body as an illness or at least symptoms of. Now I don?t think you hit the first two categories, or at least I hope you don?t. As such I?m want you to book an appointment with the ships counselor. And you will attend, even if I have to drag you there myself. Understood?? Thea asked looking the young man square in the eye.

?Yes Doctor.? Was his only reply.

?Now get out of my sickbay, your making the place look untidy.?

As the young man left sickbay two orderly?s brought in a woman on an antigrav stretcher. ?What have we got?? Thea asked striding over to surgical one.

?Ensign Macguyver, Fall from three decks down a Jeffries tube, internal bleeding and some broken bones.? One of them chimed in.

?Okay, lets get to work.?

OFF:

Ensign Desanchez NPC (as written by me)
Chief Petty Officer
Thea Saunders-O'Dell
Assistant Chief Medical Officer
USS Malinche

"When you're good to mama, mama's good to you."
Kersare
Forum Goddess

Post by Kersare »

<<Starbase 259, 1330, Day 3>>

After parting ways with Mason, Britny (NPC) decided to head back to the ship. Partially she wished one of her friends from Direidi had come along too, then she would have someone familiar around that already understood her. But, she made her choice, and it was an exciting opportunity. With one last glance around, she turned and headed for the Malinche.

Luckily her memory was rather good, and she was able to find the Malinche with no problems.

<<USS Malinche, Corridor, 1342>>

After taking the turbolift to the correct deck, Britny headed to her quarters. Coming around the corner, she froze as she nearly collided with another officer. Britny's eyes widened, "I'm sorry, didn't mean to run you over..."

Laughing, Caleb (NPC) replied, "You didn't run me over, just came close."

"Should I try harder next time?" Britny smiled.

"Absolutely," he replied. Caleb's green eyes looked at the young woman before him, "You're Britny, aren't you? The Captain's new Yeoman?"

She nodded, "I stick out that much?"

Caleb smiled and shook his head, "No, it's just that I heard a few people talking about the new Yeoman."

Britny raised an eyebrow, "Is that good or bad?"

"Nothing bad, I promise. I'm Caleb, by the way - Warp Systems Specialist."

"Nice to meet you, Caleb," she smiled. "I don't want to keep you from your work, and I need to take these to my quarters, so I suppose I'll run into you some other time?" Her eyes sparkled.

He looked at all the items she was carrying, "Why don't I help you take this back to your quarters? I actually just got off my shift and it looks like you have your hands full."

Britny hesitated a moment, but finally nodded, "Okay, thank you." Smiling, she handed him the painting and music box to carry. "I appreciate it."

"Glad to help. Which room is yours?"

"It's around the next bend, second one on the left," she replied.

They walked on in silence a few minutes. Britny wasn't quite sure what to say, though she really wanted to say something....she finally might have found a friend, and yet she couldn't decide what to say.

Caleb broke the silence, "So, have you been enjoying Shoreleave?"

"I'm still getting used to everything," she confessed. "I don't really know many people, and I've never been on a Starbase before. I don't know how everything works, so I just act my way through it...that's what I'm used to from Direidi, acting my way through."

He nodded as they reached her quarters, "You'll catch on before you know it."

"I hope so," Britny said, walking through the door. "Come on in, though I'm afraid there's not much to it."

Caleb walked into her quarters. She was right, there really wasn't a whole lot there, but that was to be expected. "It's not that bad, really... The actual Officers get the best quarters, but these aren't so bad. Mine looks fairly similar, actually. Do you have a roommate?"

Britny nodded, taking the music box from Caleb and setting it on her bed for the time being, next to her windchime, "I've not met her yet, but yes. Nora Zeral (NPC). I think she's been on the Starbase most of shoreleave, and with our schedules, we never crossed paths before arriving."

"Ah, Nora. I know her, you shouldn't have any problems with her. She's also friends with Emily McKnight (NPC), and a few others. We go to the Holodeck together sometimes, with a few others. In fact, I believe we're meeting up at the Starbase for some dinner and fun tonight. You're welcome to join us if you'd like," Caleb smiled, leaning the painting against a wall.

"Really?" Britny's eyes lit up, excited at the prospect of not only finding one friend, but a whole group of them.

He laughed, "Absolutely. 1800 hours, I'll swing by and get you, if that's alright."

"Sure," she replied. "I'll look forward to it."

"Great, I'll let the others know. I need to go take care of a few things, so I'll leave you to find some good places for your new things," Caleb said, turning to leave.

Britny smiled, "Okay, thank you Caleb. And it was nice meeting you."

"You too, I'll see you at 1800," he waved and headed back out the door.

Well, she certainly wouldn't have to worry about being bored anymore, it seemed. Perhaps it would be a good idea to try to meet her roommate before going out with them in the evening... Only problem was that Britny didn't know where to start looking.

Then again, if they were going out, surely Nora would come back to their quarters first. That should work.

Her spirits lifted, Britny looked back at the painting, "Hmm, where to put you..."

OFF:

Crewman Britny Liras (NPC)
Captain's Y eoman

and

Warrant Officer 2nd Class Caleb Corrin (NPC)
Warp Systems Specialist

played by:
Captain Isabel Kersare
Commanding Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Barrett
Senior Staff

Post by Barrett »

[[USS Malinche]]
[Barrett's Quarters, 1630, Day 3]

After his meeting with Zarrian (NPC), Jason felt like he needed a shower. The man was disgusting in his arrogance and he had no doubt that the Maran no longer held a favorable opinion of him either...not that it really bothered Jason. Openning the door to his quarters he found that the room looked like it had taken a direct torpedo hit. Glancing around, he could see that Adam (NPC) was still in the middle of unpacking thier luggage.

"Adam, are you in here?"

"Just finishing up," came his curt response. Well, at least Jason got a response, that was better then he had been hoping for. He half expected to see all of Adam's stuff gone when he got back and to find out that he had requested transfer to another ship.

"We need to talk," Jason said, flopping down on the couch.

Adam stopped his mad rush around the room and nodded. At least he appeared to have calmed down alittle.

"I was just thinking that...I mean maybe I should move out. I'm sure that the captain can find me other quarters..."

"Move out!" Jason snapped. "Why would you want to do that?"

"Isn't it obvious Jace, I don't know you as well as I thought I did...the Jason that I know would never do what he ordered me to do on Maran..."

"I didn't have a choice," Jason protested.

"Yes, you did. I know why you did it...but its not something that..." Adam seemed to be searching for the right words. "Its not something that I thought that you were capable of."

"Adam...look...you don't have to leave...."

"I know Jace," Adam said, walking over and sitting next to him. "But I need to think things out..."

"Are you saying that you don't love me anymore?"

"Jace, thats not a fair question...."

"I think it is."

OFF:
Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38997-A
Hawkins
Senior Staff

Post by Hawkins »

OFF: Slight Backpost

ON:

<Morgue, Starbase 259, MD03, 1118>

The man sighed as he looked down on his fallen comrade?s body, ?Bad luck Lowe, never thought I?d have to tidy up your mess?, he smiled sadistically and reached down into his medical kit and removed the phaser, ensured it was on the maximum setting and vaporised the dead body of Colonel Lowe. ?Good Riddance? he said quietly as he slid the draw back inside the wall and closed the door with a hollow thunk.

He walked out of the large doors, closing them behind him and used the panel near the door to reinitialised the security sensors in the room, he sat down and the Coroners desk, straightening his recently replicated medical uniform and accessed the computer, altering the Starbases manifest so he could gain access to the morgue was easy, after all it wasn?t a secure area, the courtroom however, was?

He continued typing into the computer until he located the identity of one of the security guards due to be assigned to the courtroom for the afternoon shift, he made a note of the guards quarters and promptly removed any trace of his actions before picking up his ?medical? kit, it was time he made a house call?

OFF:

"Man"

Played by:
Lieutenant Jonathan "Jack" Hawkins
Acting Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B
Akios
Crewmember

Post by Akios »

[Mess hall, 1520, MD03]

ON:

Ens. Drochlo (NPC) suggested a native zakdorn dish called cerine, a stew of meat and fruit, and Akios decided to have the same. While the aurelian got their food from the replicator, Drochlo secured a table and continued reading the technological impact analysis Akios had given him.

"Since your assignment is shipwide systems analysis," Akios said after he'd returned to the table, "you have more access to ship's systems than any other junior officer. You have broader access to all departments than department heads, even. You can't tell me you've never even considered what you could get away with."

"I never have," Drochlo said, putting down the PADD and starting to eat.

"Oh come on..."

"Well... it's not exactly 'getting away' with anything, but I've always wondered how far you could push the ship's EMH holoemitter system. With emitters throughout the ship, in theory you could turn almost any section into a holodeck with just a few modifications... Did you know that the original Prometheus didn't initially have holodecks? After a few months of operation the crew got permission to make modifications in one of the cargo bays so that the installed holoemitters could be used for recreation."

Turu chuckled. "I heard that a month later they converted a second cargo bay, that two holodecks were incorporated into the design of ships of the class then under construction, and that six years ago the total was increased to four. What did they expect? Prometheus has less crew comforts than anything but a Defiant or Akira--hence the lack of replicators in all quarters."

Drochlo nodded and returned to his meal, picking up the PADD again and continuing to read.

"This is interesting," he said after a few minutes. "You've rearranged the components of the environmental control subprocessor assembly. I don't think I've seen anything like this arrangement before. Uh oh, looks like the gravimetric stator is missing."

"Not missing--gone. Not needed. In this configuration, environmental controls borrows sensor data from the inertial damping matrix. Eliminates an unnecessary component while staying fully integrated with full redundancies."

"Pardon me," a female voice came from behind Ens. Drochlo's seat, causing him to jump. "I couldn't help but notice that you were talking shop. Are you planning to work on the environmental systems?" Ens. C'eltor circled around Drochlo and stood beside their table.

"Just discussing possible modifications, actually," Turuas'ta said. "I figured out a way to rearrange the components so that they would be accessible for maintenance without removing the outer support frame."

Though he still looked flustered, Drochlo picked up the conversation. "And as I was about to tell Mr. Akios, this arrangement might make things more accessible for him, but anyone without an aurelian's skinny fingers and claws would have a hard time reaching the isolinear pathways."

"May I see? If you don't mind?" C'eltor asked.

Drochlo hesitated a moment before handing over the PADD. It contained Akios's entire design specifications for the illicit replicator. If she changed the page from the display of the environmental system modifications...

"No, not at all. It's just a rough draft, though," Akios said, taking the PADD out of Drochlo's hand and giving it to C'eltor.

She looked at the display. "I see what you mean, Drochlo. This arrangement doubles the component density but you'd need an extractor to get at some of these chips. I haven't see a layout like this before, though. Something from Aurelia, Turuas'ta?"

"Please, call me Turu. Would you like to join us? Pull up a seat."

"No thank you, Turu. I'm having dinner with Lt. JG Breland (NPC) to work up the daily reports for Lt. Peters."

"Well, you're always welcome. And to answer your question, that layout actually comes direct from Utopia Planitia. I had a field assignment there for a couple of months during the break between my third and fourth years at the Academy."

"Really?" C'eltor said, setting the PADD down on the table by Drochlo's plate. "That must have been exciting. I only got to Mars for survival training, and barely had time to take the Cadet's Tour of the shipyard. How did you get a field assignment there? And as a cadet?"

"It was because of my final project in Engineering Systems Design class. Ever hear of linear chain warp drive?"

"I don't think so..." C'eltor said.

"That sounds familiar..." Drochlo said. "Yes, I remember now. That's the old 'space train' concept that they tried out at the end of the 22nd century."

"'Space train?'" C'eltor asked.

"Exactly," Akios continued. "The basic idea is that you can get most of the same efficiencies you get with two nacelles side by side, if you put the nacelles one in front of the other. Only, you don't get overlap at the ends, of course, so you put another nacelle in front and behind, and so on. In theory, the longer the chain becomes, the more efficient it becomes. With a line of eight nacelles or more, the theory says the engine configuration actually becomes more efficient than any arrangement of two or four nacelles."

"Unfortunately," Drochlo countered, "the configuration produces cascade oscillations. They could never get it to work with more than four nacelles, and even then the system was dangerously unstable. They abandoned the concept at the beginning of the 23rd century."

"Right. But I had an idea that I thought could make it work. I'd originally been working on improvements to the laminar flow generators they were using on the all-environment shuttles they were testing back then. My ideas were sound, but wouldn't have been a significant improvement over existing systems. At best, it would have gotten me a passing grade for the class. But then I came across a reference to the linear chain system, and I realized that my flow generator design could be used to correct the cascade oscillation problem."

"What happened then?" C'eltor asked.

"I worked up the new linear chain design with my modifications and submitted my work. In basic simulations, the system looked great. I got top marks for the class, and was given the opportunity to go to Mars to work on an in-depth feasibility study. And it turned out my system did work... up to six nacelles. Beyond that, the cascade oscillations became too much for my flow generators to compensate for. Unfortunately, since the system needed to work with at least eight sections to be practical, that's as far as it went. It did give me the chance to work in a real design environment, though, and I got a nice letter in my file from Cmdr. Chambers, who supervised the study." There was actually more to it than that, but everything beyond what he'd said had ended up becoming classified.

C'eltor glanced away from the two at the table. "Sorry to chat and run. I'd love to hear more about your experiences on Mars, Turu, but I see Mikaela's here, so I'll let you get back to your meal."

"'Evening, C'eltor," Akios said, "have fun writing reports." Drochlo nodded goodbye as C'eltor left.

"Your food's getting cold," Akios said to Drochlo, and went back to eating.

Drochlo just stared at his roommate. He still couldn't believe that Akios had just handed C'eltor the PADD. If she'd done more than glance at that one page...

On top of which, Akios had a clear view of the doors behind Drochlo. The aurelian must have seen C'eltor coming up behind him...

OFF:

[Edited: slight changes to not create a brand-new engineering position.]

Ens. C'eltor (NPC)
Ass't. Chief Enginering Officer

Ens. Drochlo (NPC)
Engineering Officer
Last edited by Akios on Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Turuas'ta Akios
Engineering Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B
Sovereign
Senior Staff

Post by Sovereign »

ON: <<Starbase 259, Courtroom, 1400, Day 3>>

Arthur Lassiter sighed and sat down behind the table as the court reconvened after a short recess of a quarter of an hour. After Isabel Kersare's testimony, it was going to be tough for the defence to deny that Jaran had indeed disobeyed orders, and after the testimony of Sovereign, assuming everything went as planned, they'd have a hard time getting mercy from the judge when the guilty verdict came back. Lassiter stood and looked around the court after the judge returned and court resumed its session.

"Call your next witness counsellor." Said the judge towards Lassiter. Art walked over to the bench and turned to face the gallery.

"The prosecution calls Lieutenant Yrel Sovereign to the stand." The southern attorney said, his thick drawl forcing him to annunciate every sound in her unique name.

Yrel tried not to let the nervousness and uncertainty show on her face as she stood up from the chair and made her way to the stand. Again, she was still set on the idea that she didn't want to really help either side, seeing as she didn't have a decision personally as to where things should stand on Jaran. She be damned, though, if she let the defence try to make a fool of her like he tried Kersare. If she didn't succumb to the youthfulness of herself, she figured keeping to straight and precise answers that hardly helped either side would be best.

She was sworn in and took a deep breath. This was going to be hell...

Art turned to her and smiled in a friendly manner.

"Lieutenant Sovereign... you were present during the events that took place on the Malinche at the Stardate in question is that correct?" He asked her.

?Correct.?

"And you were in command after Lieutenant Abubakar Jaran was escorted to
the brig?" Art asked, putting a hand on the wall of the stand.

?Yes.?

"Can you please describe in your own words what happened following Mister Jaran's incarceration in the brig?" Art asked her, standing to the side and folding his hands.

?Immediately after, there was little to do amidst all the chaos. There was still no contact will Commander Hunt?s party, and Captain Kersare?s party was caught up in the trial for Peters and Grayson. The Borg loomed on the edge of the system but had of yet to make any hostilities.? She took a breath, reliving the moments as she spoke them out to the court. ?We got a distress call from the shuttlecraft sent my Jaran to monitor the Borg, so I ordered the ship to break orbit and retrieve it. Still nothing happened. When we returned to the planet, still will the same situation on the surface, that?s when we had the alert of a security breach from the brig set off by a tracing chemical injected by a nurse to track Jaran in the event of breakout?which at the time seemed possible for Jaran.

We monitored the situation from the bridge as the breakout moved through the corridors to the shuttlebay and then into space after the shuttles departed. I gave the order to return fire when the ship was struck with fire in return from tractoring one of shuttles. The shuttles descended to towards the planet, one shuttle burned up in the atmosphere, and then we lost Jaran.?

"So Jaran broke out of the brig, and moved through the corridors to the shuttlecraft. During which time as established by other testimony, he gathered followers, and he stole a shuttlecraft. Is that correct?" Lassiter asked.

?Yes, that?s correct.?

"And is there any chance that these findings are inaccurate? Perhaps a sensor malfunction? The dye being injected into the wrong person? Etc." Art asked her.

?Not when the reports by the security officers about Jaran?s position during the event match the positioning recorded by the computer, no.?

"I see... So Jaran broke free from the brig and gathered followers in defiance of direct orders. Correct?" Art asked, restating it.

"Yes," she replied, wondering where this was going beyond a fact-stating marathon.

"Let it be known to the court that the definition of Mutiny is as follows: organized rebellion against a legally constituted authority; especially by seamen against their officers." Art said and turned to Sovereign.

"Is that how you would describe Mister Jaran's actions? As being mutinous?" He asked her.

?Oh shit?here it comes?? she thought grimly realising that she under oath.

?It was certainly against orders, but his actions weren?t against the ship. He rebelled to be free of his imprisonment, not against my authority to take the ship for himself.?

"He was placed, however, under imprisonment by the orders of a superior officer. Thus, making Jaran's actions mutiny, even if those orders were not your own." Art said with a nod.

"Your witness." Lassiter said to the defense counsel.

Yrel was about to spout a protest, but held back. It was neither fitting of a 2XO, nor energy efficient. The defence was going to tear into her and her energy was best served for handling that.

OFF: JP by

?Art? -
Lieutenant James Benson III
Chief of Security/Tactical
USS Malinche

and
Lieutenant Yrel Sovereign
Chief Science Officer
& Second Executive Officer
USS Malinche NCC-38897-B
Hunt
Senior Staff

Post by Hunt »

OFF: Sorry For the Short Post Everyone, Writer's Block.

<<USS Malinche>>
<<1525 Hours Day 1>

Mason returned to his cabin on the Malinche, he had his fill of the base and was now ready to get back on duty and ready to make his rounds. But first he sat down to catch up on his messages he had gotten while he was away.

As he sat there at his desk, he couldn?t help but think about Rayne. It had been sometime since the two had last talked while she was in sickbay and the long talk about the ?Dawn? from what he read of the specs the ship could withstand a pounding in a conflict much longer than the standard tactical shuttle craft.

Nearly working at his desk for over an hour, Mason put down the last padd and left his quarters for sickbay. Moments after he arrived he saw her talking with a nurse. ?Hi Rayne, how are you feeling now a days?? he asked smiling.

OFF: Tag Rayne
Commander Mason Hunt
First Officer
USS Malinche NCC 38897-B